Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• ts60423ts60423 Member Posts: 52
    I am not sure about removing the injectors, but a Haynes or Chiltons manual would lay it all out for you - it is a pretty big operation. When the check engine light comes on, find a parts store that will read the codes for you. Relieving the pressure can be achieved by removing your gas cap. I had fuel problems a few years ago, especially when it got cold. My intake was getting all gunked up, too. I had to take off the air intake, and spray a whole can of carb/inj cleaner in while the engine was running. I finally resolved the issue by getting my fuel elsewhere, and no problems for years. The injectors should not be bad - good luck!
  • christinewchristinew Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem on in my 2000 venture. My tank keeps reading full and then it bounces back and forth between empty and full.What's the part that i need? And is it easy to fix without taking it in to a shop?
  • rschiemerrschiemer Member Posts: 1
    I have owned this van for 5 years with no major problems, now this. On my drive home today, the brake light and the ABS light came on and will not go out. Has anyone else had this problem? And how much is it going to set me back?
  • 4thstooge4thstooge Member Posts: 5
    thanks, but the last time I looked at a Haynes book for this info I was dissapointed, but I am watching for a GM shop manual. Anyway, I already checked the codes, had it in for diagnostics and fuel system cleaning. I think the gas cap would only relieve tank pressure, nothing else, remember there is an elec. fuel pump and fuel press. regulator, and fuel rail, and I don't even know what else connected to the fuel system (I wish I had a diagram of that).

So, all that said, I think I have 1 bad injector (maybe it has a piece of crud stuck) but my thought was to take them all out and clean them (or send them off for ultrasonic cleaning). But I have never done this so I was asking for advice.

thanks,

4thstooge
  • brpansanbrpansan Member Posts: 1
    I have done LOTS of research on this van because of the recent problems I am having. If you type in GM intake manifold gasket in any search engine, you will see MANY posts about the defective gasket in numerous GM vehicles including the Venture from 1997 - 2003. Not sure if there are problems after 2003.
    I have a 97 Chevy Venture. It has been overheating on me. I brought it to one mechanic who replaced the water pump, radiator hose and thermostat. That did not fix it. I brought it somewhere else where they rodded out the radiator, changed the thermostat AGAIN, ran some sort of sealer through it because I had a very very small head gasket leak. The van did fine for 3 days and then overheated again. Basically, I have brought it to two very highly recommended mechanics that can not figure it out. Do some research before buying this vehicle.
  • retcgretcg Member Posts: 2
    Problem is wet & corroded wires under carpet on passengers side.Unwrap bundle and you will find problem.

jim
  • greekalxgreekalx Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99 venture and i've had the same problem with the door locks, they won't lock when pushing on the lock button, they unlock fine . Please let me know if you have found what's causing this problem its driving me nuts, i have to keep locking each door manually or put the car in drive so the doors lock and then turn the car off with it still in drive so they dont unlock.

thanks
  • greekalxgreekalx Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99 venture and i've had the same problem with the door locks, they won't lock when pushing on the lock button, they unlock fine . Please let me know if you have found what's causing this problem its driving me nuts, i have to keep locking each door manually or put the car in drive so the doors lock and then turn the car off with it still in drive so they dont unlock.
  • crackcheckercrackchecker Member Posts: 32
    I have had a problem with the gas guage since i bought the van. But, I was able to live with it.

Just recently the van stoppen running all together. I had to have the tank dropped and the complete sender/pump unit replaced as well as the fuel filter. I have been told by a Chevy parts guy that the unit (from the factory) is the most common thing replaced on these vans.

That solved all my problems. I have more power now too.
  • chevyventurechevyventure Member Posts: 2
    I got my venture at 47 thousand in february and now its at 57 thousand, Ive had 2 oil changes and no problems up till now. This morning I pulled into a gas station and my reverse is gone. I put it into reverse and I get a click sound drive works but its not picking up quickly like this morning when I first got into the car. I checked the tran fluid it was fine. I dont even know where to refill the tran fluid though. Somebody please tell me its not the whole transmission?!?! I dot think I have an extended warranty so I think Im screwed.
  • chevyventurechevyventure Member Posts: 2
    my gas gauge has been acting screwy too! but its only been when it gets down to below a quarter tank.
  • venture2venture2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my gauge when the fuel goes below 1/4 of tank. Any ideas? Please help.
    The unit works off of resistance. Basiclly the float has a sweeper on it (electionic) that has portions of it go bad(short). It is almost always near the last 1/4 tank full.

The only fix is to drop the tank and replace the entire unit. Includes the fuel pump and guage float. About $470.
    Release of pressure by undoing the gas cap is valid, I have done it to release pressure beore changing the fuel filter. Once I forgot, and fuel stated spraying everywhere - lets just say I was never hapier to not be a smoker. Dealers and garages with the GM software can print schematics and their version of instructions, you might be able to get a copy.
    I imagine you checked your fluid level, make sure that it stays up. I had an aluminum block corrode benieth the car and caused a small leak that was VERY elusive. Also make sure that your pads and rotors have plenty of life in them. When the calipers get extended really far, sometimes the fluid gets low and sets off the lights.
    Mine went out after about 60,000 miles (3-4 years ago), the problem is not just with Ventures, it is a GM problem during the last several years. Mine was replaced years ago, and no problems since. Luckily GM at least had the sense to release a seperate fuel sensor from the fuel pump. The Venture is also one of the easiest (relatively speaking, of course) vehicles to drop the tank on. Just make sure its empty - 26 gallons is really heavy.
  • joeteckjoeteck Member Posts: 1
    I was told by my mechanic that if you press the brakes hard, you'll get air in the lines... I've never heard of that before. I thought the brake system is a sealed system, where air can never get in even when the levels are correct. It used to work fine, now my brakes go to the floor... Is my mechanic correct?
  • cbowercbower Member Posts: 2
    So I love my 1999 chevy venture, but it's giving me a headache. My fuel guage goes up, then down, then up and sticks somewhere around 1/2 a tank. My ABS and seatbelt lights come on whenever they feel like it, and stay on if they choose. Occasionally my digital readout on the roof (LS edition) tells me there's ICE outside!! Well, it was 90 degrees out the last time it did that! My AC makes noise like it's sucking in helium. My window rolls down but then rolls up funky and i have to grab it to make it stay back on track. SO.... I doubt all these problems are related...but I'm thinking a few of them may. Suggestions, tips and witty comments are welcome.
    I don't know where to begin!!! :cry: Oh, and I've already replaced the corroded tail light bezzel thinga-ma-jigger..... Well, my husband did it, but now my directional lights work so it's not that!!
  • jdmddltnjdmddltn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Venture that was running a bit rough occasionally and then died on Friday. We were told that we need to either rebuild or replace the engine. We only had 77000 miles on it . The only other thing I had noticed was that it seemed to be going through coolant quickly, but we never noticed a leak.
    Are these problems common? We have never had a problem up to this point, but this is really depressing. I really love my van, but I am afraid of it turning into a money pit. Any advice?
  • magnet1964magnet1964 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I read your message and I just experienced the same problem but with my drive, 3, 2 gear. I can't drive the car in Drive gear.?

Did u get any replies? Is it a problem with the transmission, I hope not. Please, help me if you know what the problem turns out to be?
  • magnet1964magnet1964 Member Posts: 2
    I parked my Venture in front of the house 1 hour ago then I went to drive it into the garage but the van won't drive although I have the gear on drive. I tried on 1st gear and still it didn't drive. The only way was to put it on second or third gear. We never had a problem with this van and wonder what happened? I really hope it was not the transmission. Please, HELP!
  • cbowercbower Member Posts: 2
    I had coolant issues with mine and it was the orange coolant that caused the issue, 600 dollars later I had all my gaskets replaced and the problems fixed....of course now I have OTHER problems with it...but no more coolant and over heating issues.
    My window track has the same problem, I have not taken the door panel off yet to see why. As for the other things it sounds like a wiring harness plug is loose somewhere and electrical contact of those connections is hit and miss. Not sure bout the AC noise. The fuel readout may be the fuel sending unit on/in the gas tank, it has wires and fuel lines and if the connections are crappy from moisture or corrosion that could be it. Inspect the wire harness plugs under the dash with a flashlight and wiggle them while pushing them together. Then drive it and see if anything changes. The dealership might be the next option. Good luck.

4thstooge
  • rjechoesrjechoes Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, Im new here so be gentle.....
    I have a 1998 Chevy Venture and recently been having issues leading up to it not starting at all. I thin k I narrowed it down, but need help if possible:

-Service Engine light came on a while back, garage said nothing was wrong and it may be a short in wire tripping the light to appear.
    -Frequently the automatic passanger sliding door would trip a fuse due to our kids not letting it open itself. According to manual all you do for THAT problem is pull the 15v fuse , wait 30 seconds and put fuse back in, ALWAYS worked when I had to do this.
    -Now, the electronic driver's seat has stopped working and the automatic sliding door........pulled ALL fuses and NOTHING.SO I drove for about another 2 weeks......
    -The car would not start after sitting for over an hour at a local football game. I had someone jump start me since I ran the battery down turning it over........it started right up! Went about 3 days ok so I took it to get inspected and the guy at the garage called said it was dead where I parked it. He pulled it in garage and he THINKS it is the fuel pump.
    -I have the car home now in my garage, and had a haunting feeling the ELECTRICAL issues I have been having were somehow tied to no pwer to fuel pump.
    -I now found 3 wire harnesses under the driver side sliding door which are connected to the gas tank, the emissions something or other and the third Im not sure.
    -I unplugged the harnesses and water came FLOWING out of all of them. ALL day today I sprayed Electrical contacts cleaner in all harnesses and took out each individual wire from harness and scraped all the GREEN mess that was covering them. Now there are all cleaned up , put it back together and it started!! ....Then it crapped out!!
    ANY HELP? :sick:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, rjechoes, and welcome! You might also want to ask the folks in the Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems that are driving you crazy discussion what they think.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• kornjuliokornjulio Member Posts: 1
    I assume you have the 3400 (3.4 litre) engine. If so, your coolant leak may have been the cause of the engine's demise. These engines have a problem with the intake manifold gaskets eventually failing. This allows coolant to enter the crankcase and mix with the oil. When this happens, the oils ability to lubricate key components such as bearings is greatly compromised. If not addressed quickly, the bearings get "wiped out" - motor failure.
  • erlsgrlserlsgrls Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2005 venture and I need to remove the door panel on the inside passenger door. Can anyone help out? Now remember I need specific, I don't want to break it. Is it hard to do? any help would be great thanks
    Hi erlsgrls, removing any door panel you have to consider:
    1. you almost always have to pop out the plastic piece around the door handle, and remove 2 screws, and/or remove the armwrest with 2 screws. (If you need more details email (secretagent4thstooge@yahoo.com) me and I will look closer at my van this weekend).
    2. They make a tool to help pop the plastic fasteners out without breaking them, but I have never bought one, don't bother, you can do it without it, and if you break a plastic fastener they are cheap and easy to replace.
    3. start with a thin, almost flat, flat bar/pry bar/big screwdriver, and slide it up a few inches behind the door panel near the lower left corner, don't pry like you are prying to boards apart, wiggle the tool a little at a time until you can slide a few fingers under the door panel.
    4. keep gently tugging the door panel so you can slide your finger near the 1st plastic fastener, then give it a few good yanks straight out,
    5. repeat for other plastic fastener you find holding the bottom half of the door panel to the door, then lift the door panel out and up, it is in clips near the window at the top and you just yank it up at the top to release.
    6. if you are careful you can peel the plastic insulation back and re-stick it when you are done.
    Has anyone every replaced their coil packs? They are tucked up in there good. I am going to replace with Accel coil packs, and I want to make sure that it is not a major operation.

Ted
  • 99cbr60099cbr600 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 01 Venture just over a year ago (Aug 04). I loved it until my wipers went crazy 4 days after I bought it. The fine GM dealer refused to do anything about it until a show was made to the owner in his show room. These are the problems I've had in the last year with this fine Chev product:
    Wiper control arm,
    Intake manifold gasket leak,
    Rear wiper no longer works,
    Radio is locked,
    Instrument cluster has no lights,
    Gauges are not working,
    Blinker problems,
    LR power lock interminent,
    Right power window came off bracket,
    Front disc and pads replaced.

Sounds like other people are having similar problems. DO NOT buy a van in the montana/venture family.
  • regina2regina2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank You for this post. i have ventura 98 ,same problems, electrcal.sometime start and worked very well but ...
    read this post and eenaef ,i found connector /modul/ full of water and rust. one contact was broken .now looking for new modul, and with jumper wire on broken contact ventura starting all the time.
    thank you :);)
    Service est. was fuel pump
    new fuel pump is CAN$550-850 + $200 install
  • eedeed Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the site. i have a 2001 chevy venture and fell in love with it. my mechanic told me my head gasket need replaced. 1st why does it take so many hours to replace the $300.00 gasket. they told me 17 hours worth of work which equates to $1,000. I find this hard to believe. 2nd my van runs great, what signs should i see if my head gasket is going bad? yes, i am getting a second opinion. i just want to be more on top of things when i get my 2nd opinon. can anyone help me?
  • mark0978mark0978 Member Posts: 1
    What did you find out about the Keyless entry for the Venture. I've got the same problems you have, but I haven't won any of the bids on ebay. I placed a bid last night that had 4 days left on it, then this morning I see that I have "lost" the bid and the only ones still available for the venture are all "Buy it now" at twice the price I bid last night.
  • murphygirlmurphygirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Venture and my passager side window rolled down today and now won't go back up. The other side works, Has anybody had this problem, do you know how to fix it or is this a dealership thing? Does anybody have any solutions for this
  • jsm1ajsm1a Member Posts: 3
    The SES light came on in my 2001 venture.SES is lit up
    solid not blinking.I changed to gas cap to a locking one after finding out some thugs where trying to siphon my gas.
    I changed the back to the factory gas cap.SES still stays lit.Where do I start to try and find out what is wrong?
    Is there a way to get the error codes from the computer?
    Vehicle just turned 37K.Any assistance greatly appreciated.
  • marifmarif Member Posts: 1
    My '98 Venture died on me one night driving down the road. Lights went dim, power steering failed, everything went dead. This started the long process of taking the Venture to the shop 3 times. The first time the alternator was rebuilt. It ran for 10 days and broke down again. A second rebuilt alternator was put in everything else checked out ok and the van ran for less than 24 hours before it died again. A brand new alternator has been put in and I've driven it for 2 days and the signs of the fading alternator are coming back. Can anyone tell me what is burning up the alternator? Because my mechanic sure can't!
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    I have replaced my alternator in a 2000 Venture 2 months ago with a new unit and everything is working well. I had some strange system failures before the alternator was detected as needing replacement as is usual with these modern vehicles. First, I would have to question the quality of your rebuilt alternators. My mechanic insisted I purchase a new unit with a warrantee so as to not have any future problems. A new unit was not much more than a rebilt type. At this stage of the game, I would seek out another repair facility to diagnose and check the condition of your present unit and go over your entire charging system. This is not a complicated problem normally to have spent so much of your time, money and energy. It could just be a problem with the type of alternators your mechanic stocks. Good luck on this frustrating problem.
    Be sure to check the wiring that connects to the alternator. A slight or intermittant disconnect could cause all kinds of problems. A loose fitting or bad wire might work for a while, then work itself loose. The difficulty in changing the alternator can also cause the wires to be pulled on, possibly damaging them in a way that is not obvious or consistant. The mechanics I have used in the past and present have all warrantied the parts and labor, if a problem arose, they would fix no charge.

Check those wires and grounds!!!
    Most large chain parts stores can read and/or clear the codes on the vehicle computer, no charge. Normally the code will clear itself if the problem goes away.
    It depends on what you are capable of in the way of repairs. Check fuses and check the power switches - they pop out of the arm console easily without taking apart the door. If one has a bad connection, niether the driver or passenger side switches will work. If that does not help, then use a repair manual (if you feel comfortable with it) and take the door apart and take a look.
  • eeyore1eeyore1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Venture Looney Toones Van and while driving down the road my van hums.. is it the tires or what ?? please help me. :cry:
  • jsm1ajsm1a Member Posts: 3
    Thank you.I was ready to spend $75 for a diagnostic.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    If it is humming a Looney Toone don't complain. ;)
    Seriously, it probably is the tires. The tires tend to cup on these vans if not rotated very often. When they are cupped they hum.
  • 123venture123venture Member Posts: 8
    Where would I find the cable. Can it be accessed without a hoist?
    Another thing to look at would be a battery with a internal short. Load test it!!!

My 88 Escort just recently lost the alternator and it was related to the battery going out.
    I'm having problems with my fuel guage moving from empty to full. This normally happens when I'm down to a quarter tank of gas.

Also have no interior lights at all. If I open my doors or use the switch on the dash board there are no lights at all. (Dome light) all other are fine. JUST MY DOME LIGHTS DON'T WORK.

I also have hesitation when I acellerate and can't figure out what it is. Wires have been changed but not the plugs to hard to get at. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Please read below this is from a previous member and this was how they fixed his problem. I like to find out where I can check for corrosion on the pins where the cable is plugged in that goes to the guage readings on the dash.

Do not let them put in a new sensing guage inside of the fuel tank before they check for corrosion on the pins where a cable is plugged in that goes to the guage readings on the dash. after they cleaned the pins I didnt have any more problems. I learned the hard way because that sensing unit they put in the gas tank cost me about $400 Dollars and I dont think that I needed it.
  • rustbucketrustbucket Member Posts: 1
    I'm an automotive corrosion engineer. You're right about galvanic corrosion occurring where you mix steel and aluminum, but that's not what's happening with the hood in this case. The problem on the hood is just corrosion of the aluminum. When steel rusts, it is red. When aluminum rust, it's white/milky. The problem is 'filiform corrosion.' This happens with aluminum that's covered with a paint or other similar coating. When aluminum is exposed to air, it forms a protective alumunium oxide film on the surface (about 1nm thick), which protects the aluminum underneath. When you get a chip in the paint on your aluminum hood, water gets under the chip. The salt/water starts to attack the aluminum. Because it's held in by the paint, it doesn't dry out and have a chance to reform the aluminum oxide.
  • nicholas_enicholas_e Member Posts: 2
    Just a warning...I ordered two remotes from www.thepartsyouneed.com over a month ago. I have not received them yet. The tracking number shows no useful info. I emailed the site and got no response. I called the phone number on the site a couple of times and there was no answer. I waited a week and emailed again. This time I got a response. But no apology or explanation, no info at all. Just asked me to check the ship address. It was correct. I replied back. That was the last I heard. They charged my credit card immediately, before they supposedly shipped, by the way.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Contact your credit card company explaining the situation to them and ask for help.