Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Lexus cars need very little repair work - I've never needed a repair in 7 years of driving - and maintenance costs are quite reasonable. The first two appointments are free and then you pay. I'd say - if you use common sense - three years of service will cost about $900 all in - not per year. If you follow Lexus recommendations to the letter than maybe its $1200.
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    To me it looks to be a MAJOR mistake by BMW. Worse yet, the new 5 series reportedly follows with similar styling cues. How is an ugly new 5 going to compete with MBs new E500?

They lost my business. I defected to MB for a big sedan, I am extremely pleased with this decision. The new 745 is also plagued with problems, mostly software issues relating to the "Windows" based OS. I hope they figure it out soon, in the past I always loved thier cars.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    This is the design study for the GST mercedes (going into production). One thing we can take from this is the direction of future MB models. I am thinking the totally redesigned S-class model year 2006. I think the BMW for all it's bad reviews will be looked on as the first for a future in autos that looks more along the 745i.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/visiongst.htm

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well that's not what I'm reading here and other places, they're cars like any other. I'm seeing folks complaining about service cost, etc.....they're not perfect, just because you haven't had any repairs doesn't mean the car didn't NEED any. Not to say you personally would neglect a car, but I've seen cases where people say just that, but once you ride in their car it's clear that their is in need of some attention. If Mercedes, and Audi are paying for scheduled maint for the first 4 years/60K miles etc, then I'm that much farther away from ever buying a Lexus. A car that is more fun with paid for maint, sounds better to my me, than a duller one that I have to pay to maintain during the warranty period. And if I recall right, Lexus requires service much more often that Mercedes does during the first few years, the FSS system in Mercedes sees to that.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is the recommended service interval for a Lexus.

M
    Mercedes would ever make such a controversial car like BMW did with the 7-Series, there will be no BMW influence on Mercedes design. The only Mercedes that may not fit the MB profile is the upcoming SLR, with it's F1 inspired nose, but there will be no hunch-backed Mercedes-Benzes. Mercedes already did the tall, tank, dreadnought look before, that BMW and Lexus are now fascinated with...Mercedes has moved on.

M
  • laithy_74laithy_74 Member Posts: 35
    Lexus LS430:------ 2,548 down 13%
    Mercedes S-Class: 1,952 down 25%
    BMW 7-Series:----- 1,683 up 99%
    Don't know anyone who has ever experienced high service costs on a Lexus and I personally know people who collectively own or lease 14 Lexus cars - mainly LS,LX and GS models. People are amazed at how reliable the cars are and several of them are ex-MB and BMW buyers who aren't going back. What you are reading is the exception to the rule not the norm. By the way I've only read one or two such posts. Your free service on the MB etc will be more than eaten up by insurance costs. It would have cost me $400 more per year to insure an S than an LS430. Lexus still cheaper even though you pay for service costs. The service intervals if I remember are 7.500 miles per. They cost roughly $50-75 at the 7,500 mile post and about $325 at the 15k mile post. I usually go 10k miles in between services. It doesn't cost much to maintain this car my friend and repairs are rare.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I know that $400 is $400, but does it really matter when you're talking about such a high end ($60,000+) automobile? I'm not doubting Lexus' reliability, but come on:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Not when you are talking about an annual cost. But that premise would also hold true to the free service appointments.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I don't for a second doubt your unit stats but a 99% improvement would mean BMW only sold 17 7-series cars last March. Is that possible? I'm also surprised at the low sales figure for the 745. Maybe production is not in full swing yet or maybe they have no chance of selling 20k units.
    Well that basically is what I've been trying to say about certain MB experiences on this board as far as reliability is concerned, a mesg board with a few folks (compared to all the Benzes sold) can't be taken as gospel about MB reliability or lack thereof. I too know people with Lexus, on a 1996 SC300 that is very expensive when anything goes wrong, plus don't you lease your cars? If so then you aren't keeping them long enough for the miles to pile up. Lexuses cost just as much or more to maintain after the honeymoon is over. For the difference between MB and Lexus when it comes to upkeep I'd rather have the more stylish, fun to drive car. None of these cars are cheap to maintain. They way I see it Lexus isn't really that much of a bargain as their made out to be. I too would have to say who cares about insurance when you're talking about a 60K+ automobile. You have to pay to play. I keep getting the feeling that a lot of Lexus owners are trying to get something for nothing. Not you of course.

laithy74,

Where are you getting these sales figures from?

M
    I do lease but I know first hand the outcomes of my 95 and 98 cars. The 95 is still running with nearly 200k miles on it. A friend of mine bought it at my lease buy-out price. By the way this was my only bad experience with Lexus as they wanted the car back and I made some serious threats (like I'd never buy a Lexus again) if they'd not let him have it. Anyway I finally saw him last weekend after being out of touch for over a year and the car is still running beautifully on maintenance only. It has mainly highway miles as he is in sales. The other car became a Lexus certified vehicle, and fetched about $5k over my buyout. The guy who bought it just purchased an 02 LS430 for his wife and is holding the 98 for himself. I know this through my sales guy.

The long and the short of it though is any car can get costly when you tack on the miles and if the owner doesn't take proper care of it. I think you have a much better chance at great reliability at Lexus than at MB or BMW these days. There are far too many broad based consumer studies, including studies in Europe that point to a material downturn in MB reliability. MB seems to be trying to address the iissue. The 7-series was always a problamatic car. I know poeple who love the car but will never go near it again because it was so unreliable. If I were buying MB now I wouldn't expect it to be unreliable. But I also wouldn't have the level of confidence in it as I would in a Lexus. Ten years ago you would never question or doubt MB reliability. I don't know what caused the downturn. Maybe it was the step-up in production, maybe the pricing pressure brought on by Lexus or maybe both. I don't have too much doubt they will reverse the problem in the next few years but it will cost them some profitability to do it.
  • dave203dave203 Member Posts: 13
    I have now had the 99 740i Sport for 2 days and I am in love with the car (also own a LS400). The 740 handles like its on rails and its an actual Sport with the M-Package Suspension, M-Package seats, performance differential and semi-auto tranny and dsp sound, nav. etc. The engine is very smooth, hums like a turbine, and is vibration-free, lots of torque. On the road the car seems to anticipate driver moves and carves corners with no body roll at all. I am amazed with how this 4200 Lb car handles & performs. The driving experience is totally different compared to the LS400 and is unequalled. So far, no glitches or problems have been found on this 740i. It feels rock solid at all speeds, built like a vault. The more you push it on the highway, the faster it wants to go. I hope this car is reasonably reliable otherwise I would be really bummed out. I'd hate to give it up.
    Dave
    Well I can live with that. There are a number of things that I think contributed to MB's downturn in reliability. Number one is the obvious amount of electronics that MB uses today. MB was one of the last carmakers to switch to fully electronic fuel injection because of the questions over electronic reliability. Up until 1990 MB cars didn't use much in the way of electronics, the 1990 SL was the first MB with so many advanced electronic systems. A car like the current S, CL and new SL have more electronics than ever, which I see being the main thing that MB owners complain about. I don't see MB's having engine and transmission problems as much as other makes like Audi and BMW. For the most part these are minor things going wrong, very seldom stranding an owner on the side of the road. Secondly, Mercedes has had to cut down on the grade of materials used in their cars. MB cars are not a structurally robust as they used to be. The previous S-Class (W140) and SL (R129) were the last of the overbuilt MB cars, from a structural/material standpoint. Now the new SL may be a another story, from what I've seen it's as solid as the old car, but still doesn't match the old cars interior lavishness. Which is kinda hard to do considering that the previous SL was Mercedes' BEST car as far as cabin materials go. Lastly I think the new found volume is another problem. A million MB's is enough to me. They're going for a 1.5 million by 2005. A mistake in my opinion.

M
    BMW sold 860 units in March '01. Sales have doubled. Numbers are from AOL business news
    I misread your earlier post as 99x improvement rather than a doubling of sales.

I also saw some of your E-class banter on that board. The E has already been price affected by Lexus. I think Merc1 is right that the price will stay flat but given the step-up in car standards that is akin to a reduction and given the fact that the Euro/dmark is down 25% in the last 2 years it is actually a serious drop in price for MB already. Their cars are priced in local currency, not dollars, so they are getting less local currency as the dollar strengthens. Lexus is benefitting the other way because the Yen has weakened and Lexus models are priced in dollars. Thus the currency translation is actually yielding a hefty price increase for Lexus.

Now there are stories that Lexus may cut the price of the GS4 by up to $5k mainly because of this currency gain. That will cause some problems for the Germans in and of itself. If they make it a 192" baby but sportier LS that will be an even bigger problem. Plus the more I look at the back of that E the more it looks like a Camry though overall it looks like a nice design.

By the way the new 5-series looks terrible. BMW is either way ahead of all of us in design or has lost its' marbles. I'd wait to see how that 7 sells before committing the design to the smaller cars but they aren't and those 7 sales figures you posted aren't all that hot.
    I doubt if a 5K decrease in price will cause any worries for the new E-Class. The E is just too popular and will be brand new. A new Benz is a hit no matter what it costs, at least initially. The GS430 for some reason just doesn't sell, maybe because of the LS430, not sure.

M
    Man, I come here to talk about the 7-series, specifically 740i Sport ownership experiences & no one is saying anything relevant. There is more talk here about Mercedes than BMW...Okay Mercedes makes some good cars and I did test drive the E430 & CLK430 - no way would I trade it for my 740 Sport w/ M-Package - the driving experience & styling do not compare.
    I tried! I personally think you purchased one of BMWs most underrated models. The look of the E38 BMW, is without question one of the best on the road. The new 745 is a pig by comparison. I have a '98 750iL with the sport package. It is not as comprehensive as the 740iS package, but I do have the awesome 18"M-parallel wheels just like yours. The car is soooo agressive looking with the 18s. My car is black with sand interior and I have tinted the windows a little.My MB salesman saw the car and commented "if you just went on looks they would sell tons of those" Of course he is biased though.

Performance is right up there too. We probably have very similar performance numbers. My car has more power, but more wieght too, yours gets the lower final drive. Last night I couldn't resist. There was a kid in a Mustang GT, chrome wheels, racing stripes, loud pipes. I dusted him in my big four door, I don't think he could believe his eyes! Of course, if he would have been better at shifting......

The car does require more than average maint. Find a good dealer. Mine offers BMW loaners. I also get a chance to check out the cars on the lot when I am in for service.It isn't so bad. It is my second 7, the first being a '95 740iL. They must be worth it, I did it twice!
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    Re: post 567, Mercedes and other Euro companies are getting more Euros per US$ as the US$ has strengthened, not less. Just look in the business press about US companies bemoaning the strong US$; it helps Euro companies and hurts US, and helps US consumers by keeping inflation low. I suspect that ultimately the price in dollar or other terms is determined by supply and demand anyway.
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    I had my first test drive of a 745Li, about a 2 hr drive. At first I didn't think I would like it but after about 20 min I really liked this car. No sport model yet, but if it comes it will be hard to beat. idrive was not hard to operate, although you shouldn't operate it while driving. I was really impressed how this big car, and it is big, handles curves. I think next year after the design has grown on people, it will sale well and really give a challenge to MB and Lexus.

I would worry about the cost of repairs for the electronics after the warranty. My current BMW is great but there is always some small problem with the PDC or tilt wheel.

It's too bad BMW doesn't get their electronics from Lexus.
    Its too bad they feel the need to put so many electronics in it to start with. I just love the 3 series cars, smart styling and all of BMWs wonderful driving dynamics without all of the headaches the electronics cause.

My dealer has a 745i parked next to a 750iL on the showfloor. The old car is lower, longer, and wider, much more agressive. As long as I still own an E38 I doubt the new styling will grow on me.
    V12Power, thanks..its the electronics indeed that I wish BMW would avoid. I am into the styling, performance and pure driving experience of the 740i Sport w/ M-Package and wish BMW would avoid complexity. I have the gps navigation, OBC, PDC, you name it, its got it. I am just worried how much its gonna cost one day when one of the displays goes out or computer/electronics malfuntions causing a serious problem. So far no glitches though. The handling is just incredible. The car rides totally flat and tight on turns like a race car. Even over bumps it stays glued to the road. The more you push it the faster it wants to go. I am using Dunlop Sport tires (255/45-18) they handle incredibly - or is it the car. The entire powertrain feels bulletproof & solid.
    let's say - just for example US$1.20 buys you E$1 - and the dollar strengthens so that the ratio is such that $1 now buys you that E$1. Well if your base price is in Euros than you just gave up 17%. Instead of getting back $120,000 for a car priced at E$100,000 you're getting $100,000. On the other hand let's say Lexus gets 100 Yen per $1 (it actually got under that briefly and Toyota re-set production to make their desired margins at 90 Yen = $1) but the dollar strengthens to 130 Yen per 1$. Well a car priced at $50,000 which would have yielded 5mln Yen now yields 6.5mln Yen. That's why the Japanese wanted to build cars in America - the currency was killing them in the 80's and 90's. Now its a boom for them. Naturally big companies always hedge this sort of thing but no one expected or could have hedged the Yen or the Euro(DM) for the material changes that occurred so rapidly. Take it first hand as I work for a Euro based company and my stock options got badly de-valued because of the strong dollar. Naturally they are priced in Euros not dollars.

American companies bemoan a strong dollar because exported goods (from our ports) get very expensive as you need more and more local currency to pay in dollars.

Anyway back to cars and enough on foreign exchange issues. But if you do go abroad and buy foreign goods you'll find them to be much cheaper in Dollars then they were two years ago.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    For what it's worth, a few years ago I put new brakes on my 1995 ES 300, at the Lexus dealer, for about $225.

Since I looked at a 1995 328 before I bought the Lexus, I wanted to see what brakes would have cost on that car at the BMW dealer. It was $480.

This is just one example, but it does illustrate how some basic items are far more expensive on a BMW than a Lexus. Whether or not it matters is up to the individual buying the car.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    If a German company sells a car in the US for $100,000 when the exchange rate is $1.2/1Euro, it will get Euro 83,333. If the Euro weakens as it has the last couple of years such that the exchange rate is $1/1Euro, then the German company will get Euro 100,000. If the German company "thinks" in Euros it is better off as it has gotten 16,667 more Euros after the Euro weakening / $ strengthening.

This is a simple example of the impact of a Euro company selling products for $s. If there is some other point which is being examined, I'm not sure what it is.

In the examples stated in the message above, it is given that the $ went up in value against both the Euro and the Yen, however this somehow yields a benefit in one case and a detriment in the other.
    I'm a CFO with multi-national companies so I have to deal with foreign currency all the time. It's a royal pain. In your post you've got it backwards. Foreign exchange accounting is tricky because one only tends to think in their local currency. But imagine you go to Germany to buy your car rather than the local BMW dealer. You buy from a German dealer in Euros. The car cost E$100k. A few years ago you needed $120k (US) to buy the Euros to give the dealer for the car. Today you only need about $90k(US) to buy those same Euros. That's all there is to it.

The reason the Japanese benefit is because their cars are priced (from Toyota) in Dollars, not in Yen. If they were priced in Yen they would suffer the same consequences.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    An earlier post listed March 02 745i sales as almost double those from March of last year. But is that double March 01 740i sales, or all 740 models? Without any further information the sales numbers would seem logical *IF* they were comparing sales of 745i models to 740i only. BMW does not have the "L" model of the 745 available yet, which adversely affects potential sales. When that model is available sales should be much stronger. In previous years sales of the 740iL far exceeded those of the 740i.

However, after seeing the extra room in the rear of the 745i (vs the 740i), I think it's probable that the gap will narrow between the 745i and the L model sales, as more 745 buyers will feel that the rear room of the 745i is sufficient.
    You are right. But the 750iL went to sale late march and about 270 were sold only. So exect sales to increase for April
    sorry meant the 745Li, not the 750iL.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I took my 2000 S500 into the dealer for service and a fix of the cup holder today and right across the street is the BMW dealer. I walked over to take another look at the 745i. I started talking to the salesman and told him I had about 3 hours until my MB was done. He showed me a new 745Li demo they have. I spent a little time with a 745i when it first came out, but he suggested I take it out for a couple of hours and drive it. After a 20min orientation I got the go ahead to take off. First a chrome piece from the A pillar to the trunk is quite striking and elegant. This isn't on the 745i. Second this car is freakin BIG. Almost Bentley size. Longer/wider and taller than my S500. It's really is a LARGE car. I really love the ride of the car. Better than my MB (sans ABC). The interior at 65mph on a bad section of my commute it is noticably quieter inside. The sound system is incredible but I've heard it before, no surprise. What I was a little surprised with was the i-drive, after getting the hang of it is easier to operate than the brief time I had before. After a couple of hours and 80 miles on the odometer I returned. Part of me thought about bringing in the S500 and walking away with a 745Li. Ah, but I still am going to wait for the next gen Audi A8 and upgraded 2003 S to make a decision.
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    We own this car. For those of you who want some feedback about it, it outperforms others we tested - all the competition - so we bought it new in '99. So fun, never been in more comfy seats, the il was just too boring after we drove the awesome sport package. Also got the upgraded insane stereo system - never get a car without it. However, recently a few bugs. Please help if anyone can, been to the dealer several times over this and they cannot duplicate any of these problems and say nothing is wrong.
    When the car is cold (by this I mean it has not been driven for several hours) I turn on the ignition and it dies. Then it starts again and then I stop at a stop sign and it dies. This stall out happened today 3 times and freaked me. (Also have '99 Lexus - never freaked me)
    Another problem, when the car has not been driven for many miles (like 3-10 miles) is that when I press the gas like after a stop light, it seems not to push the gas thru the engine and I have to press the gas again to make it go - I hope this makes sense.
    Incidentally, my husband has not been super about using 92 octane, so it sometimes has been driven with 87 in it. Other than that, all maintenance has been done. However, this stalling problem only occurred since it has been using 92 exclusively for about 4 months.
    Appreciate any info as both dealers indicate there is no problem with the vehicle. Thanks in advance.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Many of the photos of the 2002 745i in the brochure show the car without a sunroof. In the specs page it says a sunroof is standard, so I'm guessing the photos are of European models.

It's hard to believe that even in Europe the sunroof is optional.

Does anybody know if this is true?
    Stacy I have the same car but have not experienced any problems with 70K miles on the odometer. I only use super gasoline & never let the gas tank level get very low (this can clog/damage the fuel delivery system or even catalytic converters). I change the oil well before the computer calls for it and only use BMW synthetic oil. I also would perform the major service on the car (i.e. air filter, spark plugs, fluids, fuel filter etc)to make sure. The stalling definitely should not happen. A co-worker of mine also has a 99 740i Sport and it still runs/idles like new & smooth like a turbine. I would start with the cheapest areas - changing fuel filter & air filter, then perhaps reset the computer if possible on this car.
    -740i Sport owner & lover
    By the way I also own a 95 Lexus LS400, never a glitch as well.
  • ddusingddusing Member Posts: 2
    Im looking at a 740i not not the "il", When looking at the specs on edmunds it actully shows that the 740i has less rear seat leg room than a 540. Dont see how this can be. Can any one owning a 740i give me their opinion on the room in rear seats. Can an adult ride in the back seat and be comfortable. I am in real estate and have clients who will ride in the back seat.

Also looking at a 95 750 model, Are these engines reliable and do they have a regular life span and what type of gas milage do they get?

Thanks for any help and input
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    First,I don't think a twelve cylinder car can ever be considered reasonable. It does lend a very pleasing,"sewing machine" quality to operation,true. But rather than put the money into the extra four cylinders,I'd rather a fresher eight cylinder.
    The converse of that is that many are somewhat afraid,and rightly so,of a used twelve cylinder car. So prices might be surprisingly reasonable. I've driven both,and there is a velvetiness to the 750 that the 740 lacks. I'd still go with the 740.
    As far as room,the long wheelbase 7-series is one of the very few cars to offer rear seat footrests-it's that spacious.So no matter what the numbers say,I do find the 5 a little smaller in back than I'd suspect. And I think the smaller 7 is certainlly adequate in back for adults,and the longer one almost roomier than one needs.
    I have a '98 750il, it replaced a '95 740iL. I think I would reccomend the L if you intend to haul adults back there at all. There is no driving penalty unless you compare them to the Sport version of the 740i. I really like the V12. In addition the interior is much nicer with leather EVERYWHERE. I actually found the 740 to be more trouble than the 750, though it did have more miles on it. I also found that the milage penalty with the 12 vs the 8 is about 1mpg. This is with the bias towards highway driving. In the city the V12 will hurt a little more. I get 13/18 with the V12 and 15/19 with the V8. One thing to consider, buy an extended warranty for any car in this class. My more "reliable" 750 has a record of 19 dealer visits in 50k miles, as I said before the 740 I had was worse.
  • sawmilldriversawmilldriver Member Posts: 7
    I own a 98 740iL, 23K miles, navy blue with sand interior, BMW certified through Oct 04, very good condition overall, some minor stone chips on paint work. I live in Connecticut and I am considering selling (to buy a sports car). Can anybody tell me what would be a reasonable price to expect for either a trade in or a private sale? Thanks in advance.
    If you sell it privately the CPO warranty stays with the car. If traded anywhere buy a BMW dealer the extended warranty is gone. NADA shows ave retail at $34k and ave. trade at $30k. I think those numbers may be a little high, maybe by ~$2k or so. Yours sounds nice and is low mile so you are in good shape to sell towards the top of the range.
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    ...and it is curious how much better the car looks in person than in the pictures. The car was in black also, which in my opinion is better, because it hides the bulk and that odd trunk shape somewhat. When seen closely, though, the shape of the trunk doesn't look nearly as displeasing to the eye as in the photos.
    I was also somewhat impressed by the overall quality of the car, seems to have been built from a single piece of rock. This is from a MB fan
  • jmorellijmorelli Member Posts: 1
    Buy the 750. I have owned 4 750IL's, the las two have been Protection Series models. Prior to making the switch to the V12 I owned 2 740's....an I and an IL. If you are going to have adults climing in and out of the back seat you definitely want the extra 5.5 inches, it makes a huge difference and the back of your front seats won't get beat up by peoples feet. The reason I say go with the 750 is because the V12 engine is far more technologically advanced than the V8 as far as engine management goes. The fuel consumption can actually be less than the V8 depending on your driving style. I average 18-19 mpg in stop & go traffic ( I live in Chicago) and 30-36 mpg on open roads. Just make sure you buy a
    99 & up model year and buy it from a BMW dealer so you can get a certified po warranty (100K mi). The V12 engine cost about 52K to replace if anything major goes wrong. I have had nothing but absolute pleasure with all of my cars, but I never keep them past 18 months or 20K mi.This is the key to beating depriciation and repairs. However, I have sold 2 of my 750's to friends and they both have had no problems and the mileage is at 72K on one and 66 onthe other....Good luck
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Thanks for advice re Fuel clog/cat conv. We brought our 740 back to dealer and told him to check what you said (I gave the post to my husband to make sure). This is what they did:Checked for vacuum leaks, checked fuel pressure and volume supply, removed spark plugs and checked compression. Checked back-pressure. checked mass air flow meter values on DIS tester which appear ok. Checked signals provided by DME to Mass Air flow sensor for possible intermittent faulty connection.

Tried a new mass air flow sensor and test drove.

Thats it for a fix.

By the way, Brecht BMW in Escondido. Put 180 miles on my car in 2 days, returned it to me with a gash on my $300 front tire. I am furious!
  • vellumvellum Member Posts: 4
    I am torn ...the new 745I or IL (although the I looks better) or the Mercedes S500. I love the way the BMW drives but the looks are killing me. I also love the state of the art interior. I have to make a desicion soon. I would prefer a 2001 740IL but can't locate one with less than 10K.

Should go for performance and interior of 745I or the safety and reliability of the Benz?
  • ddusingddusing Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 1995 740 i. It has the power adjust of the steering wheel. The steering wheel adjust works fine up, down, in, out, My question is should the steering wheel move up automaticly when the ignigtion is turned off. I looked at a 97 model and the steering wheel moved up when the ignigtion was turned off. My 95 does not move up automaticly and the dealer cant tell me if that is normal or if there is a problem.

If someone knows what year the automatic up feature of the steering wheel was implemented please let me know. Thanks
    I faced a similar quandry lately. Unlike you though, not only do I dislike the exterior, I think the interior is hiddeous. Then I read about a bunch of teething problems with the new model. I have become very good friends with my dealers service department on my last two E38 cars, no need to continue that with the 745. I ended up buying an S600. Fitted with aftermarket wheels the car is absolutely striking. I love the way it drives as well. It is faster than my 750iL, which is to say plenty fast. I am very happy with my choice. If I were you, I would at least wait until the bugs are worked out of the new model, buy next years.
  • vellumvellum Member Posts: 4
    What I LIKE about the 745 interior is the convenience of storage etc. I think a good 2 hours of learning the idrive would suffice for the next 3 years (I usually lease). After market wheels are a must on any vehicle. (I also have an ML500 with 20" MOMO wheels).

The S500 with sport package and Lowenhart or Lorinzer wheels may be the way to go...? Thanks for your input. S600 out of my $$$ range!!!
    I have some pics of my 600 with 20" Brabus wheels. http://homepage.mac.com/bwinterholm/PhotoAlbum7.html
  • bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    Nice pictures, but your neighborhood looks kind of scary.
    I had to move into a trailer home to pay for the S600.....Just Kidding. Actually it is just a small town in Northern Minnesota. My wife and I like big old Victorian style homes, so we bought one right in town. The nieghbors on either side are a little strange, but the rest are pretty nice. Of course, what must they think of the couple in their mid thirties with five expensive german cars in the yard?