Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
  • melliotmelliot Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Town Car that is a pleasure in every way. I have reread the owners manual several times and each time I find a new feature to play with.

Now the question. I notice that the top of the front armrests are hinged, opening up to a small plastic compartment that seems too small to really be of much use. Try as I might, I just can't see how the tiny "storage" area could justify the cost of the hinged tops. Anyone ever figured out the idea behind these armrest storage areas? Am I missing something?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    If your talking about what I think you are, then strictly speaking, it's not needed. What the H-pipe you're referring to is there for is to provide a crossover to even out the pulses in the exhaust stream. You could eliminate it, but your exhaust would be a little rougher, and I think you'd loose a little horsepower as well.
  • lordbaltimorelordbaltimore Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am an owner of an 89 Town Car.
    I created two Yahoo Groups.

1: Town-Car@yahoogroups.com and
    Baltimore-Fords-Club@yahoogroups.com
    For Ford fans in Baltimore, MD.

Joe Dasher
  • commiscommis Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a used (16,500 miles)Signature from a dealer. Did not notice until after I had paid for it and had it home but the plastic wrap-around below the back bumper is melting around the exhaust pipe.
    Any one else ever had this happen?
    commis
    kennybrown.com/coolcars.html

Not cheap, but nothing worthwhile is.
    Try www.crownvic.net.
    Yeah, they deal mostly with Crown Victorias, but underneath that Lincoln sheetmetal, it's essentially the same car.
  • twinlovetwinlove Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any information, good or bad regarding this car. My husband heard that there were engine overheating problems on Continentals, was this true for Town Car also? If so, does anyone know what was done to correct the problem.

Any feedback is very much appreciated! THANKS!!
  • lando2lando2 Member Posts: 12
    Can any one help me find instructions on programming the visor garage control (95 TC)? I have checked my manual and no luck. I've also checked the net with no success. Thanks in advance.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    You can find programming instructions on the Homelink website. The programming page is:

http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.html

First, choose the "programming for the first time" selection from the pulldown menu & follow those instructions to initialize the unit, then choose the "programming the garage door opener" selection. You'll need your garage door transmitter.

I have a Lincoln LS, and the website instructions match the ones in my owner's manual. I used to have a Mark 8 and it worked the same way, so your Town Car should be the same, too.

Hope this helps.

have a serious blind spot for the driver between the rear door glass and rear window.

have "road noise" in excess of the 97 style.

have an underpowered engine, needs 300 hp.

don't have a "towing option".

The best 2001 is the Signature with Touring Option which includes dual exhaust, heavy suspension and larger tires.

Look forward to changing the oil in the engine, transmission, and rear axle. Use synthetic in all.
  • land_yachtland_yacht Member Posts: 3
    See up there? That title? It says "need". Yeah, I need one! The more I see 'em the more I love 'em.

I love the classic style, the roomy interior, and the unashamedly loooong wheel base. I like the fact that they "float" down the road & have no desire to "feel" the road. I don't want a performance machine. I want luxury, I want class, I want a soft leather interior, I need that Lincoln Town Car.
    I'm looking for a '90 to '95 Lincoln. If anyone has any good leads here in So Cal please let me know.

LY
  • gdblakegdblake Member Posts: 18
    I hope this hasn't been already answered, but the shudder going into overdrive results from the overdrive clutch slipping. It can be corrected by changing your transmission fluid and filter. This (worn out transmission fluid) is the known cause of this very common problem with many transmissions, and the cure. Worked for mine in a '92 T/C.
    If your Maintenance and Schedule Manual advises you to not change the rear axle fluid until 100,000 miles - don't believe it. In following the advice written in the manual it was later discovered the fluid in the axle had turned to foam. This foam disenabled proper lubrication resulting in all new axle gears, two rear axles, and related parts. Cost of Repair is over $1,100.
  • dbd34dbd34 Member Posts: 18
    I'm just over 28,000 miles on my 2000 Town Car, Signature Series - Touring Sedan. Absolutely zero problems, even with this higher-than-average mileage. No overheating. The Continental is a different platform altogether, so there should be no relation.
    300 horsepower on this car would be a waste. It has gas mileage of 21mpg or better on the freeway, and 18-19 around town. There has never been a case where I've lacked for acceleration - not going over the Sierras, nor over the Tehachapis. I can pass at any speed, with power to spare. The car has plenty of punch.
    Complaints: The trunk is deep, and can require you to bend over to get at the corners. I wanted a black interior with the dark blue paint, but it wasn't available.
    This car has been wonderful in every respect. Great handler, roomy, quiet, great sound system, 0 problems. It is a great bargain compared to foreign cars, and much better looking as well, IMHO.
    When I came from the 97 TC to the 2000 TC, I too thought the rear view was restricted, but now with some miles under the belt it is not an issue. The 2000 TC has such large rear view mirrors, that it makes up for the smaller rear window area.
    I've spoken with other 99-2001 TC owners, and they are all very pleased with their car too, and invariably find it superior to Cadillacs, BMW's, Mercedes, and Lexus.
  • bobparks1bobparks1 Member Posts: 6
    for the information that the road noise is worse on newer Town Cars than on 1997 Town Cars. My 2000 Continental has much more road noise than my 1995 Continental and I was considering the Town Car next spring instead of a new Continental. I think that it is just a quality problem of Ford Motor Company from saving money by making cars cheaper. Bob Parks
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    My Dad is interested in a very low mileage Town Car (only 60K). His mechanic said "stay away" and that he'd be at the shop quite often. Tranny, suspension and electrical problems. On the other hand he said that the Grand Marquis is a good car. Is the Town Car really more problematic? I know it might have a more complex suspension, but are the tranny, engine and electronics that much different? I guess I really should stop a
    T & LC (NYC limo) driver and ask him what he thinks!
    We have a 94 and only in the last 1,000 miles have we had to spend over 1400 on repairs, but it has 99,000 on it. $1400 bought two axles, rear axle gears, all the related bearings and parts, but $325 of that 1400 went for new set of plug wires. When looking at the specs, the GM, CV, & TC seen to have the same 4.6 engine, O'D tranny, suspension, and even the wheel/tire size is 215/70/15. Buy the TC and change all fluids throughout, especially the rear axle and the tranny. Refill with semi synthetic fluids. Coolant should be changed as well. The 92 TC is good for 25 mpg on the level at 70 mph.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    I bought it in 97 with 72k, love the ride and the sheer size of it,was trouble free up until it went over 125k and hell just broke out...First off the a/c gave in then front end needed work,fuel pump,radiator,ignition,electrical issues(some fuses kept blowing)not mentioning the minor things like wires, belts and so forth,then I got a break for a while only to find out that I was in for a new round of what I call town car rage! I was driving in heavy traffic one afternoon and stopped at a red light on a hilly street when the light turned green my tranny let go,no problem since I'm a regular at AAA.One week and $950 later I was back in the car thinking to my self well with all the work that's been done on this car it should last me a while...Wrong,I think the air suspension was jealous,one morning I left the house to go to work and saw the car sitting on it's [non-permissible content removed].Now it has 162k and just a few weeks ago,you guessed it,the engine started to idle funny,specially in the morning.But now I decided I'm not taking anymore crap,if Im faced with any repair bill over $100 it's going to the junkyard,period.(by the way the body still looks awesome)Too bad it's not going to make it to 200k like it should and for all the $$ I have invested in it.
  • land_yachtland_yacht Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 1984 Lincoln Town Car with 78,000 miles on it and I'm currently in the process of reconditioning the auto.

I've had the engine steam cleaned, changed the oil, flushed the radiator, had the carb cleaned, and had the tranny serviced.

I'm planning on a tune-up this week-end. In the mean time I'm looking for a good vinyl cleaner/restorer. I've washed the car and even tried using Simple Green on the Landau top but it still looks filthy. Can anyone recommend such a product?

Many thanks,

Land Yacht
    I cleaned it infrequently with Westleys white side wall tire cleaner and a GI brush for 12 years w/o any problems. Rinse very completely afterwards.
    All I ever used on my Mercury's vinyl top was Armor All. Then again, it's dark green, and it may not be showing all the filth.
    poke a small hole in the cover and fill with WD40.
    by Mercury within a couple of months. How long do you think it will take for that same engine to be available in the Towncar?
    Kinley...Instead of using WD-40, why not use spray silicone or something? Or maybe even ball joint grease. WD-40 is fine for lubing bicycle chains, but for suspension pieces, they do make better stuff.

As far as the 300 horsepower Marauder, the engine isn't supercharged. It's the same 32 valve engine found in the Lincoln Mark VIII and the Mustang Cobra. And since the Town Car is aimed at the segment of the market that prefers lots of interior real estate and a smooth ride over the sports-sedan segment, I don't think a 32 valve engine Town Car would sell any more than the 16V version without cannibilizing the Marauder, so my prediction it that it's never gonna happen.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi all,

A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car." If you have a story to share, please send it to me at jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission to this one is March 6. Thanks as always for your input!

Very best,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    The "Maintenance Schedule and Record" book with our '94 states as follows:

"NOTE: Rear axle lube quantities must be replaced every 100,000 miles (160,000 km) or if the axle has been submerged in water. Otherwise, the lube should not be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected or repair required."

Having good faith in the instruction noted above, the rear axle was never checked until a whine emanated from it at 97,000 miles.

The dealer's General Service Manager advised the lube had turned to "foam" and thus lowering the lubricating qualities of the lube. He said we should have changed the fluid long before now.

The repairs totaled $l,131.28 and a letter was sent to Dearborn asking for reimbursement due to the misleading instructions cited above.

Three weeks later a 'phone call from "Matt 2194" said the car was out of warranty and nothing could be done. He didn't understand the issue was their liability for misleading instructions and kept talking about being out of warranty.

A visit to Lincoln's DSO with supporting papers and conversation lead to the factory DSO offering to pay half of the bill. Deal was accepted.

Two things to be learned from this is:

(1) Don't wait for 100,000 miles to check the lube in the axle. Change it at 50,000 miles.

(2) Don't take "no" from the factory 'phone guy and go direct,in person, to the DSO. Waiting for the factory representative to come to you will not do the same job as going to them will.

Change all fluids sooner than you are recommended to. Note: Diplomacy goes a long way with the DSO.
    Does anyone know where I can get a discounted price on these bags. The '99's are $90+, but my '92's are $186 each, from my local Ford dealer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I bought'em second hand for my 92(junk yard).
    Thank you for the response, Otoluva. With my luck I'd buy ones just as leaky as mine. Anyone else with a site to buy them new, but at a discount? BTW, Otoluva--how did you know they were OK?
    They come with 30 day warranty,and so far they're pretty good.
    Otoluva, Thanks for the response--I'll try the junk yard.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    my experience with several fords, albeit much cheaper models parallels yours. At around 100K all hell breaks loose. It's interesting you noted the A/C going out. I haven't had a Ford yet (had 5 of them ) that went to 100K without failing. Ditto tranny.
    "At around 100K all hell breaks loose."

My Thunderbird's been driven far enough for all hell to have broken loose twice. 201,500 miles on the clock (95 T-Bird, 4.6 V-8), and the only real problems I've had was a brake caliper going out, the transmission started leaking, the heater core rusted out and the water pump began leaking. All relatively minor considering the miles on the car, and the brakes and water pump I did myself (with help from some friends) and saved a lot of money. My other Ford product was a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis. It had only 120,000 on it when it died, but was 21 years old, so I'd say it held up pretty good. I plan to put a new transmission in it when I get the money and drive it some more. I've had good luck with the 2 Fords I've had, and if I ever buy another car ( you can tell I keep 'em around for a while), it will probably be a Ford. Unless I break down and buy the baby blue '66 Deville convertable I saw today ;-)
    with care, the same vehicle reaches 200,000 miles before a crisis happens.
    I haven't exactly abused my T-Bird, but I don't baby her either. I usually rev the engine up to 3,000 on takeoff, saving redline for those very very rare occasions, but I have been known to cruise at 80 or 85 on empty roads, and I like cornering, and have the worn tires to prove it. But I fix things when they break and keep the oil changed every 3,000 mi, and don't beat her into the ground. She seems to be holding up. Tough little car.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    "It's interesting you noted the A/C going out. I haven't had a Ford yet (had 5 of them ) that went to 100K without failing. Ditto tranny." - edmund.

What's even more interesting is that you continue to purchase Ford products despite having had such bad experiences. Five separate transmission and AC failures prior to reaching the 100,000 mile mark - and yet you come back for more?!?!?

What draws you back to the Blue Oval?

FIVE transmission/AC failures? Really? Honest?
  • fniguyfniguy Member Posts: 2
    My 96 Towncar with just over 66k miles is in the shop for preventive maintenance as I write this. I had the technition go on a test drive with me and I discussed all the items I wanted checked over. I had him check the rear axle lube fluid...sure enough, he came back to me with a sample of it on his finger and it was turning to foam! I think I just saved about $1,000! The technition seemed surprised by his findings as well. I am so glad this forum exists and am most thankful to Kinley and all others for their advice. I just bought my TC from a non-Lincoln dealer in December '01 and I love it. Once again, thanks for the money saving advice and keep it coming so others will benefit as well. I know I will!
    and your post is a positive present. Thank you gain.

P.S. Having recently purchased your Lincoln I recommend also checking the transmission fluid unless you know the maintenance history. Our 95 T Bird (4.6) transmission fluid was changed to Mercon V Semi Synthetic at around 30,000 due to a shudder upon slight acceleration. At 53,000 it still runs smooth. With over 100,000 on the Lincoln and due to the quality of it, we will keep it for some time. Happy Easter to you & yours.
  • fniguyfniguy Member Posts: 2
    Once again, Kinley, your advice has paid off. Prior to my purchasing the Lincoln I used the Edmunds Town Hall site to research common problems associated with the 96 TC. When I took delivery I noticed a hard shifting around 35 mph, usually on slight grades. Since I knew this symptom existed on others' TCs, I promptly had the transmission fluid changed. Since that was done I've had no more troubles with that! Additionally, a co-worker of my wife's complained of a similar symptom on his 97 Honda Civic. He was interested in trading it in on something newer, figuring he had an expensive transmission repair on his hands. I passed along the advice about changing the tranny fluid, which he did, and hasn't had a problem since either. He, too, was most appreciative of this advice. Happy Birthday and Happy Easter to you, too.
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    From the pictures on www.lincolnvehicles.com, the new TC looks pretty good, except that the stand up hood ornament doesn't seem to fit the LS type front end.
  • brian129brian129 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 TC Sig Series with a intermittent window problem. One day the driver side front and rear window would not work from either the driver control or rear seat control. I thought it must be a fuse. When I looked in the owners manual, I could not find a fuse that had a circuit that included the left front and rear windows. Then about a week later, the windows started working again. Then yesterday the front passenger only window would not work. I tried again this morning and all of a sudden its working. What's that all about???? Any ideas??
    to rev the engine a little, giving the battery a boost, giving a 100% amount of electrical energy to the little power window motor. I hope that's all you have to do.
  • joker2108joker2108 Member Posts: 30
    LINCOLN GOING OUT OF BUSINESS??? TRUE?

IS it true that Lincoln will stop all productions end of this year?

No more lincolns at all. And Towncar made by Ford? Can this be true at all?

thanks
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Not at all true.

The Town Car and Navigator are being reengineered for 2003.

Lincoln has the new Aviator for 2003.

The LS will also be updated for 2003.

A new Continental, probably on a stretched LS platform, is planned for 2005, along with a restyled LS and possible convertible for 2005 or 2006.
    As long as GM makes FWD luxury cars, those in the know will continue to buy RWD Ford products, i.e. Towncar.
  • joker2108joker2108 Member Posts: 30
    Please don't kill the messenger. I seriously heard from 2 limo owners that Linclion is going out, For good. and that the towncar will be moved to another division, since it is the only car in the line which sells. I came on here to verify if this is at all true??? I know these guys for a long time so they wont lie to me.
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    Nothing against limo drivers, but where would they get such first hand information?

They probably heard (correctly) that the Lincoln Continental is/will be dead.

Ford would probably kill off Mercury before touching Lincoln.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    Joker2108: Lincoln is absolutely, positively, unequivocally NOT going out of business. No way, no how, period. Maybe your limo-owner friends wouldn't lie to you, but they certainly don't know what they're talking about--they are wrong, wrong, wrong.

At this very moment, at the New York Auto Show, the 2003 Lincoln Town Car, Navigator, and Aviator are on display, as are a 2003 Town Car limo built by Picasso Coach and a high-performance version of the Lincoln LS produced by McLaren. Lincoln is here to stay.