Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• sruiz2169sruiz2169 Member Posts: 7
    it shouldn't get any bigger...unless you repeatedly hit the bumper in the same spot. I have a 99 grand am se and i hit someone about a year and a half ago. cracked my front bumper and demolished the left side of my reinforcement bar but the crack hasn't gotten any bigger since. if it gets bigger i would worry but until then i think you're fine...
  • vcscvcsc Member Posts: 4
    i just wanted to let everyone know i finally got my car started it is actually a factory recall with the igniton you can go to pontiac to googel and put in 1996grand am factory recalls to see if your car has a recall u just call pontiac give them yourvin num and they will tell u if u have a recall on the igniton mine did some problom i was haveing was all the lights would come on but no crank nothing and i did a littel reaserch and found there was a recll so good luck hope it helps a littel bit
  • moezomoezo Member Posts: 2
    I also have a red 99 and it has chips all over the hood and fenders not sure what causes it. I think its from air pockets under the paint. It looks like some one grabbed a hand full of stones and thru it at the car. It would seem that the windshield would have the same damage if it was from construction on the roads.
    not actually...i mean...if it was from the highway the impact would either break the debris up or cause it to bounce just high enough to miss the windshield all together...so it could possibly be from road debris that just missed your windshield...
  • firefighter583firefighter583 Member Posts: 1
    Power window motor/ regulator broke. Window down will not go back up. How do I fix ? Where do I get parts & instructions to repair?
  • mercury1956mercury1956 Member Posts: 5
    the regulators are on ebay 50 75 bucks. dealer is probley a couple hundard. i got the part went to local glass company. 50 bucks to install. when the window motor cools down it should go up. hope this helps joe
  • rmartin1182rmartin1182 Member Posts: 1
    This is great!! My window on my 99Grand AM GT went down and will not go back up. How do I remove the inner door panel. There is a screw below the handle and one inside the rotating door latch and one insid ethe locking switch. I have tried lifting/prying it up like my old car with no luck I thought it might have just come off the track but i an reading, the motor burns out? Thanks for the help Rick
  • jtchristiankjtchristiank Member Posts: 4
    This took about 10 minutes, including time to get over the fear of tearing up the faceplate of the AC/Heater. I've owned a 2003 Alero since August of 2007. This "malfunction" occured the first time March, 2008. Since then, it has happened 5 times. I love the car, but the security is a major flaw. I'll update if this fix does not work.
    there is a wege piece at the top side of the dooe panel. remove the 2 screws. that will let door panel slide up. they are torque head screws. hope this helps joe
    ok...i have a 99 GA SE and i've taken my door panel off MANY times...unless they are made COMPLETELY different...there is a hidden screw behind the reflector...be careful taking that off cause they break EASY...there is also a screw inside connecting the door panel to the door...u have to take off the switch that controls the window and the door lock...behind the panel all around the edge of the door are some kind of clips that need to be "popped" off the very first time...u might hear a loud noise and think that something broke but those are just the clips popping out...once you do that all around the door grab the door handle and lift up...and that should do it...

hope this helps
  • 2000grandam2000grandam Member Posts: 4
    Hi i have a 2000 pantiac grand am se.. does anyone know where the horn is located??
    right side of the car...below the headlight...behind the bumper
  • elpuma0720elpuma0720 Member Posts: 10
    I suggest that you have the car taken to a dealer. But first, tgry changing the fuel filter first. I just had the same issue and I ended up taking it to the dealer. This is the best thing to do if you have the means to do it. Hopefullym it is just the filter.
  • 67bluecamaro67bluecamaro Member Posts: 8
    About 6 months ago I changed the thermostat and coolant in my '02 GA SE1 V6. About 3 months ago I start hearing this clicking sound when the car is first started up after sitting a long time, but it seemed to go away after the car was fully warmed up. I changed the started because it was getting weak and looked for the cause of the clicking noise. I noticed coolant is low and fill it up apparently I hadn't topped it off enough earlier. The clicking noise stopped after i changed the starter and filled coolant. Eventually clicking noise came back, I checked the coolant again and again it was low. I fill it back up and begin checking for coolant under the car and no signs of leaks. Again clicking went away after topping off coolant. Clicking came back after a few weeks, again coolant was low top it off along with putting in some stop leak even though there was no signs of a leak. Since then clicking has been constant every time i first start the car up.

The constant clicking noise at start up seems to becoming from the top of the engine either around the thermostat housing or the fuel rail/intake manifold. And the noise stops or at least really quiets down after the car has warmed up fully. Has anyone else experienced this and what did it turn out to be? I have tired a high quality injector cleaner in case the rails or injectors are dirty and caused the clicking noise.

BTW I haven't had dexicool in the car since about 45k miles after learning about the problems and the car now has 103k so i don't think it is a result of bad seals or gunk from dexicool.
  • gkane9gkane9 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where i can buy the chrome/alluminum inserts for the hood scoops on the gt model? thanks
  • moesly13moesly13 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am that had the same problem, the head gasket was leaking. If you don't change it now you will start losing power and your exhaust will blow out white smoke. I hear this is the norm! The cost for the gaskets are around $200.00 if you take it to the dealer your looking to smoke around $2000.00. We bought the book and did it ourself, wasn't 2 bad but I wouldn't want to do it again. As far as the odd noise that was probably the cause, once we had everything in place that noise came back....reason was the head needed to be re-torqued. Also, for some reason the engines gunk up really quick even with oil changes every 3000 miles. This is the second pontiac I had and I will never buy another one. :lemon:
  • unpecadounpecado Member Posts: 1
    A few weeks ago while I was pulling to a stop my ABS and TRAC OFF lights came on. It's been happening more now, and not only when I'm stopping but after the car gets going. In addition my low trac light is going on much more frequently, especially when I'm moving my car from stop or from park. The car seems to be struggling a bit. Do you know what this may be? If I can fix it myself? What parts I may need?

Thanks so much!!!
  • grandam1grandam1 Member Posts: 4
    That just happened to me last month. My TRAC OFF light came on and my car starting hesitating. It frinally would not go anymore. I had to get my car towed to the repair shop. I had to get a new fuel pump. The part is about $200
  • nick2006matrixnick2006matrix Member Posts: 42
    Hi all, I am considering a Grand Am as a possible choice for my son's first car. I am looking at the 2004- 2006 models. Any present owners feel this is a good or bad choice? Any inherent problems, i.e. head gasket, transmission, etc?
  • grandam1grandam1 Member Posts: 4
    I wouldn't drive another Grand Am if it was FREE. I had several problems with this car. I had new brakes at least 10 times. New fuel pump. Trak light came on and the car stopped in the middle of the street. I had to get a new fuel pump. The inside of the car is lifting near the dash board. The "security light comes on and the car will not start. Thanks to this message board I found a way to get it back started when this happens. I am a single person that takes very good care of my cars. Please invest in another car.
  • moesly13moesly13 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am-GT nice looking car but that's it. Tires are about $140.00 each. Had to replace the Head Gasket at 80,000 miles; heard this was a normal I read that an owner changes it every 60,000 and cost about $2500.00 at the shop. My husband did it in a week and cost his time and $250.00. The driver side window fell in the door. Parts are made out of plastic and are mad expensive!!! This is the second Pontiac I had my husband will not buy me another one!!!! Oh and if you live somewhere were it snows and rains a lot, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.
  • jjrigginsjjriggins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 grand am se 4 cyl. the car runs but when driving, it shifts fine but there is no power to to. it is running slow. whats my problem? please help this little lady out. I have to work on it myself!
    thanks in advance.

:sick:
  • breann206breann206 Member Posts: 2
    I got my first car which is a 2001 pontiac grand am se1. I seen the car and fell in love with it. Since, i didn't know all the problems that occur with these cars i bought it. I got the car for $2000. Boy, i thought i got a deal on my dream car....NOT....it is a pain in my but. i have spent about as much fixing the car as i did on the car..new fuel kit, fuel pump regulator, fuse block, igniton, a bunch of problems with my HEATER and it is the dead of winter, cold as heck and my heat wont work..I have fallen in love with this site because i found out other people have the same problems as me. I thought i was the only one. I have been so down about the new thing with my car which is the heat problem. we replaced the regulator for the heat and ac. but it still WONT BLOW...when i hit bumps it seems to make a connection...i had my dash torn apart twice and the wires cleaned too. the heater still wont work like when i bought it. I will never buy another pontiac grand am again...someone please give me some ADVICE on what to do with the heat. :mad: :sick: :( :lemon:

Thanks
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Do you mean the fan doesn't blow, or it does but the air coming out is cold?
  • breann206breann206 Member Posts: 2
    well i had the computer chip replaced that tells the heater to heat up and the ac to get cold and the fan to blow and so on but the fan just won't blow....when im driving the outside air pushes some heat in but just enough to heat up the windshield so i can see the fan will not blow in other words. Im having that replaced on monday. then if it still doesn't work...idk what i will do with the car, :(
  • 1Life1Life Member Posts: 1
    Is all of this information on changing the headlight also true for a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT? I have pulled on those clips numerous times very hard pushing them back and forth ann they do not budge. Please help me out. -Thank You
  • metersalesmetersales Member Posts: 1
    '95 Pontiac Grand Am SE.
    Symptoms:
    Not Working: Turn Signals, High Beams, Emergency Lights, Left & Right Brake Lights.
    Working: Center Brake light, Low Beams, High Beams (momentary), Running Lights.

My solution: Remove Turn Signal Switch Assembly and stest to see if switch positions correlate to new circuit patterns with Digital multimeter, continuity tester.
    If good, then clean contacts and put old switch back in.
    If bad, then replace switch.

Note: simply unplugging and plugging switch assembly back in may solve all or part of the problem. It worked for me. All but the emergency flashers work for me now.

There are 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary and those that don't.
    You realize that post was from 2002?
  • rmhcowboyrmhcowboy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Pont Grand SE1 and have done everthing I know to get the lockout on my radio off. I have tried letting the ignition on for an hour or so and pushing buttons 2 and 3 I also tried it again pushing buttons 1 and 4 and the lockout still stays on the radio.. I even unhooked the batt and tried it that way too.. Was told I need to take it to a dealer.. One thing I will say about GM thanks for such a stupid Idea.. so I called GM and guess what I have to pay for thier stpidity. Any way is there a way to bypass the anti lock on my radio so I can listen to music again
    If any one knows a way I am open to any idea.
    HAVING LOTS OF PROBLEMS.......
    RMHCowboy@aol.com
  • italianmaster1italianmaster1 Member Posts: 12
    99 Grand Am SE
    2.4l Engine
    FWD
    125,000 miles

Leaking a red/pink watery fluid after a good drive. It leaked for 5 mins, badly. I put cardboard under it at 3pm. At 11pm there was no leak or substance on the cardboard. What could it be.

Pics: (brown stuff is mud. Was at the forest preserve on a rainy day last weekend)
    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/88/l_411c71e51ed74d4cab700fcb2ee631e- - d.jpg
    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/82/l_2ba85635c45e44ffabb93eeb4176914- - 1.jpg
    http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_52d186339e504cebb402b5683988cb5- - b.jpg
    Could be trans fluid or coolant by the color. Here's the $1,000,000 question: what fluid level is low?
    At first by looking at your pictures I thought it was coolant (old Dexcool that should have been changed) but on second thought it could be warmed up trans fluid also. Checking the fluid levels will tell the story for sure though with that big of a leak.
    As a general warning, quad 4 engines were notorious for having water pump leaks around that mileage, and your pictures are showing a drain off exactly where it would be for that. If that's the case, get ready for a big repair bill, quad 4 water pumps are a big job.
  • italianmaster1italianmaster1 Member Posts: 12
    Cousin thinks its Coolant because the fluid on the garage floor evaporated overnight. He said if it were trans fluid, there would still be a puddle. I look at the coolant tank and it was low. Just trying to figure out wear the leak could be because it has not leaked at all today. Even when driving for 15 mins. strange. But thanks for the quick reply.
  • blaine4200blaine4200 Member Posts: 2
    hi there i have the exact problem my brake lights only come on at night if i hit the brakes and as for my dash lights i cant see nothin at night do you have a fix to this problem it was ever since i have my stereo changed somthin was shorted out ?? please help me eeeeee lol
  • blaine4200blaine4200 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am i changed the stereo and must have shorted somthing out because it effects the Tail Lights and the Dash Lights. When i drive at night i cant see nothin on my dash and my break lights only light up if i press on them they should be on at night without pressin them can anyone help me please
  • miszkekmiszkek Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. The dash and tail lights stop working one day, I checked all fuses and they are ok. Stop light and blinkers work though. Read somewhere that it might be a multi switch? Anyone knows what is going on? Please help!
  • 2002grandam_12002grandam_1 Member Posts: 1
    Whether engine running or parked and key out, parking / running lights flash randomly. Checked the micro relay..fine.. Keyless entry remote..good.. Sensor under dash defrost grill unobstructed. Dealer wants to run electrical check..$$$... Can the ALC be disabled?
  • 67bluecamaro67bluecamaro Member Posts: 8
    ...just sold the biggest piece of s*** I have ever owned. The final straw was the transmission going out at 117k miles, way to premature for modern cars.
  • tsmith36201tsmith36201 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am...and it has went crazy on me. The crazy thing will start and it will change gears, but when you turn the steering wheel it dies. Anyone have any ideas what's going on with it? :sick:
  • nicoleringwignicoleringwig Member Posts: 1
    1997 pontiac grand am gt driver door window is in the down position need to change motor but window is supposed to be half way up it wont go how and if i dont what will happen
  • screwedbygmscrewedbygm Member Posts: 14
    The 99 thru 04 series employs a worm expanding strut driven by a nylon gear at one end that is powered by a small Fasco electric motor. Most any other manufacturer but Government Motors would make both the strut and motor available as individual service replacement parts. With GM, however, you must pay over $330 for a complete replacement seat frame with motor and strut included. It's outright gouging and it's ridiculous! The nylon gear at the end of the strut either cracks or suffers tooth shearing, whether from age deterioration of the nylon material or overuse/abuse of the power system, much like Ford power windows. Replacing the strut assembly with nylon gear seems the practical solution but GM does not provide that option. It's either live with whatever height the seat is at when the gear cracks or shears, or shell out the $330 plus labor for the sake of a 50-cent piece of nylon attached to a ten dollar worm strut! There are tens of thousands of Grand Ams with broken driver's seats desperately seeking an affordable height adjustment fix. Does anybody know of any aftermarket source for a replacement strut with nylon gear assembly?
  • nurse_shalnurse_shal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Grand Am GT.. It recently started chugging so I went through everything on what it might be even though I got screwed out of alot of money.. I have changed the fuel filter.. changed the spark plugs.. Put my car on the diagnostic and the thing that came up was my thermostat sensor which I fixed $215 later, the guy said that should fix it.. Well it didnt... I have no acceleration, and when I press the pedal it chugs.. Also it seems to be taking alot of effort for it to keep up the speed when Im approaching hills..especially with my cruise.. it shoots up to 3500 to 4000 RPMS and it wont shift down properly until Im on the other side of the hill... Please help on what I should do! Im $750 in debt with this thing so far and nothing is working!
    Sounds like your injectors are dirty. i have a 95 with a 3.1 motor that hapens on it I get a can of SEA FOAM INJECTOR CLEANER put in with a 1/2 tank of gas. that takes care of that. mite take several miles to work. Cost less than 10 dollars. worth a try. Menards, Auto Zone ect should have it. Good Luck. Joe let me know if this works
    HAVE U GOTTEN YOUR PROBLEM FIGURED OUT? JOE
  • winterblues76winterblues76 Member Posts: 2
    Nephew over heated our Grand am and destroyed the head. We just replaced the head, gaskets, spark plugs, boots, radiator, heater core, all hoses, alternator, water pump, battery and starter. We then noticed the ignition module housing was cracked so we replaced that and the coil packs. Ignition module was tested and passed all three times. Now the car won't fire. It isn't getting spark to spark plugs and the new battery keeps draining. We thought maybe it was a timing problem but it isn't back firing while trying to start. Fuel is in the line but not getting to the plugs either. Maybe electrical?! Help any ideas are better than none...thanks :confuse:
  • mwallace7mwallace7 Member Posts: 1
    Did you just buy regular spark plugs? If not then it may just be that the wires you have now are not capable of delivering. If you bought higher performance spark plugs you may want to look into upgrading your spark plug wires. I'd suggest 9mm racing wires if they are high performance spark plugs. If they aren't, I really cant think of anything else that you could do. It sounds like you've done everything ( that I can think of ) . I'll ask around and try to find out what else it could be.
  • winterblues76winterblues76 Member Posts: 2
    Every part including spark plugs were factory ordered, boots too! That is why we are now thinking a wire has been crossed. My brother in-law set the timing and I am wondering about that as well. I do believe the car can start if the timing is off and wouldn't have anything to do with not having a spark...but not positive about that! Thanks for responding...Let me know if you have anymore idea's. I am getting ready to have it put on a machine.
  • abrucabruc Member Posts: 8
    Is there any new/updated info/fix on the intermittent clicking flasher (04 Grand Am)? Passlock, now this -Incredibly annoying problem.
  • cecilhowardcecilhoward Member Posts: 1
    SOUNDS LIKE THE CRANKSHAFT POSSITION SENSOR WHEN BAD (NO FIRE) IF BAD
  • psy7psy7 Member Posts: 1
    i have a grand am gt with ram air and im tryin to find a rear sway thick and strong enough for autocross at my school i do the tire pressure for it but the body roll is still to much and i cant get good times
  • titans2titans2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am and when you put it in gear or in park the car idles erratically also when you park on a hill. Could someone please help?