Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

pepe5pepe5 Member Posts: 16
Honestly,I don´t think a VW,will be trouble free,or be better than your car,I know you had problems,but I think this time I think you went too far, nothing personal,no ofense,Please.

Comments

• pepe5pepe5 Member Posts: 16
    Sorry,about the double "I THINK"
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    pepe5-

I HALF said it in jest, but now that I think of it anyone that I ever knew who had a bug years ago NEVER had any major problems with them except for NO heat! LOL... I have a few friends who have the new Beetle- so far, so good! At least they're not at the dealer's every month like I was for 10 1/2 months!

fastdriver
  • t2winst2wins Member Posts: 1
    Holy S...! After reading what I submitted, I guess I understand your heartless remarks. What I meant was I want it to LAST at least 5 years before I buy NEW again.
  • jeffc1jeffc1 Member Posts: 29
    You make one oops and everyone jumps you :) I hope that the barbs were all done in jest. I honestly think that the LHS is going to be around in our household for a long time.

Jeffc1
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    If someone out there has a 1999 Chrysler LHS, please ask me if anyone have any problems on it, like the reliability.
  • charlesfcharlesf Member Posts: 28
    Well the 2000 model LHS goes into production tomorrow. Who ever sees it first let us know what changes have been made.
  • larry329larry329 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 LHS that I bought Mid-April with 89k and I now have 99k. I average 24-25 and most of my driving is Interstate at 85+/-. The car has been good EXCEPT things I have read about on this site. My A/C has gone out twice since I bought it, recharged once and a valve replace second time and it is in the shop today for same problem. The car has had a miss at idle since i bought it but runs on all 6 when moving. I have run it over 110 to see if there is any misfire and there is none. Can't figure out what the problem is. Plug wires and plugs are new. That didn't change anything.

Other points to ponder.... I also have a 90 Dodge Dynasty LE. Pushing hard on 200k. It has features that I think should have been incorporated into the LHS.
    1. Doors lock when car moves.
    2. Inside locking gas tank.
    3. Oil and Volt meter
    4. Icon show EXACTLY which door/trunk etc open.
    5. Turn signal warning beeps when it doesn't turn off (like on sweeping curve to enter Interstate and it stays on)
    6. Beeps when gas warning comes on
    7. Center arm rest high enough to be one.
    and the list goes on. I very much like the way the car handles and it is very comfortable. I am not sure if I will try to find a 97 or opt for an Aurora instead.

Any comments?
  • pepe5pepe5 Member Posts: 16
    DaimlerChrysler AG says it will boost the average price of a 2000 Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth or Jeep by $108, or 0.4 percent -- the third consecutive year the automaker has held price hikes below 1 percent.

That's if you compare the prices on vehicles at the close of the 1999 model year and at the beginning of the 2000 model year to calculate the percentage change.

If you calculate the increase from the opening of the 1999 model year to the opening of the 2000 model year, prices are up somewhat more -- an average of $396 or 1.5 percent.

That's because the change in model year is not the only time carmakers hike prices. They can, and do, raise sticker prices throughout the year. And, of course, prices on some cars and trucks have been boosted considerably more than the average.

A 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE minivan is $24,080, compared with $22,775 at the start of the 1999 model year. That means customers will pay 5.7 percent more for the 2000 model than the 1999 model. DaimlerChrysler has not made any substantial exterior or interior improvements on the 2000 model.

Using the manufacturer's suggested retail price from the start of the 1999 model year to the start of the 2000 model year, the price of the Dodge Ram 3500 regular cab, two-wheel-drive pickup increased 3.2 percent, from $21,215 to $21,900.

The price of a Jeep Cherokee RHD four-wheel-drive four door increased 2.7 percent, from $22,450 to $23,050.

The announced price hikes for the 2000 model year do not include an across-the-board increase in the destination charge, which is supposed to reflect the cost of transporting the vehicle from assembly line to dealership. Most 2000 Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge and Jeep vehicles will have destination charges that are $10 more than the 1999 vehicles.

One of the few exceptions to DaimlerChrysler's price hikes is the 2000 Chrysler LHS. The price of the full-size luxury car will decrease 1.1 percent from the start of the 1999 model year, when it cost $28,400. It will cost $28,090 at the start of the 2000 model year. This month, 2000 model-year vehicles will start hitting dealerships.

DaimlerChrysler marketing experts lowered the price of the LHS to differentiate it from the more popular Chrysler 300M, which last year cost $100 less than the LHS. For the 2000 model year, they raised the price of the 300M 2.8 percent, from $28,300 to $29,085. Now the 300M costs $995 more than the LHS.

Other automakers will release their 2000 model-year prices later this summer, and industry experts expect similar price hikes.

DaimlerChrysler spokesman Rick Deneau said the company tends to tout its average price increase from the close of the 1999 model year to the opening of the 2000 model year because the comparison helps customers who are shopping for vehicles now.

Consumers "see one vehicle with the end of '99 price and another with the 2000 price, so it's a more logical comparison," Deneau said.

Economists said DaimlerChrysler's price hikes are low compared with 20 or 30 years ago. Then, automakers routinely increased prices 10 percent or more from one model year to the next.

The reality for DaimlerChrysler and its competitors is that the sustained boom in the auto industry coincides with a record number of affordable new and used vehicles on dealer lots. Despite the fact that consumers are on track to buy more than 16 million passenger vehicles in 1999 -- more than any year in at least a decade -- no automaker could afford to price its vehicles above the competition
    This guy must put this info. in anything that has the word chrysler in it!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Yes, but it is interesting reading. Did anyone shop both the LHS and the 300M and buy the LHS? If so, what made you select LHS? Just curious. I bought 300M due to more sporting nature, slightly more compact dimensions and styling. The LHS is quite beautiful also.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I was looking at both of them. I liked the styling of the LHS only slightly better. I liked the rear seat cupholders (I have a 13 year old). I also didn't want or need the fold down rear seats. The performance wasn't significantly different. I really did like the autostick, but figured that I probably wouldn't use it after a while. It was almost a coin toss decision, but the LHS just fit our needs a little better. I like those win/win decisions.
    Anybody has a 1999 Chrysler LHS that has over 50,000 miles on it. If someone do tell me if anybody has problems with it.
  • sussantransussantran Member Posts: 2
    I am ready to buy a new 1999 lhs, the dealer ask $100 over invoice, any one out there can tell me what is the lowest price that I can ask. I have a hard time to choose between the m300 and lhs.
  • sailor8sailor8 Member Posts: 1
    I am not sure if this is an appropriate place to place this request; I checked the FAQ's but did not see anything addressing this situation.

I am faced with selling my recently deceased father's brand new, garage -kept, 1999 Chrysler LHS with less than 700 mi. on it.

I obviously have to realize as much as possible on this sale; can anyone offer me any advice as to whether an Internet sale is a good possibility; where such a site may be found; any experiences anyone has had with such a situation; whether I should just place an ad in the paper; and any other help one may offer.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out at this difficult time.
    Don't forget to check out the incentives area here at Edmunds. I believe there is a factory to dealer incentive of $1000 on LHS. It is the end of the year for '99's, so you should be able to do better than invoice + $100. Especially if they offered that to you up front. They must expect you to counter offer. I don't believe the LHS is selling as well as the 300M, so should be able to deal. I bought a 300M a month ago at invoice. You could try using the Acura TL as levarage as even at list it is ~$28,400 loaded.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• lesliealesliea Member Posts: 1
    A friend of mine here at work just got back from the Chrysler dealership. She has a 1995 LHS that died on the freeway on Monday night. Apparently the engine temp rose and then the engine shut down. The whole engine if fried, I mean melted belts and warped oil pan, etc. They tried to tell her it was the water pump, but there is no water or oil in the engine. She said this is not the first problem she has had with the car, it now has 46,000 mile on it so the warrantly is up.

Anyone have any feedback about problems they have had and any action she may be able to take before she spends $5400 on a rebuilt engine?
    lesliea-

WOW!!! That's not even 12,000 miles a year and the car is DEAD! This shouldn't be if she maintained the car regularly. I'd try calling Chrysler to see what they say. Then, when they say-"sorry", I'd get a good lawyer and see what could be done.

fastdriver
    Anybody has a 1999 Chrysler LHS out there that have at least 30,000 miles in it and could you tel me if you have any problems in it.
  • jyanuljyanul Member Posts: 9
    Hello. I am still tremendously amazed on how may forums, topics, etc are on the 300M and barely
    NOTHING on the LHS!! I guess Chrysler only sold
    1-5 "99" models. Its even hard to get someone to answer questions/opinions on it too? Anyone know
    why??????
    My questions are:
    1. With the 2000 model now produced, has any of the problems with the 99 models (wind noise, window sticking, etc) been corrected?
    2. Did I read SOMEWHERE that GOODYEAR owns MICHELIN? If so, does that mean the EAGLE tires
    that come stock are as good as any? I would have
    thought that the Michelin PILOT? would be superior?
    3. It was interesting to read that Chrysler LOWERED the price of the LHS (I read this here).
    Hopefully that info is right cause a local dealer I recently asked said it went up 3-500! (without
    reviewing the invoice)...typical info from sales!
    THANKS
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you LHS guys are lucky that Mustache has not visited your little forum to share his thoughts and lecture you.
    I also noticed that the LHS topic has MUCH less activity than 300M. Possibly the LHS looks too much like the Concorde, hence sales are slower. 300M is quite distinctive and aimed at Euro market, unlike LHS. Could be another factor.
    LHS is still a beauty, though.

I've noticed too that this topic is "dead". If it doesn't pick up soon, the hosts will zap it! Maybe the LHS folks are more mellow and laid back then the 300 owners. It seems that whether we like our car or don't like it, have had problems or no problems, we're still willing to share our experiences good or bad in the hopes that we can help someone else.

fastdriver
    I would bet that when the 2000 models hit the showrooms on 8/16 things will pickup.
  • tomjobetomjobe Member Posts: 6
    My decision process has come down to a 99 or 2000 LHS. I have a friend who has a new Continental, it drives like an old car compared to lhs. Some dealers say they may drop lhs prices on 2000 because of poor sales. Anybody know what is going on with the 2000? Any input on buying a leftover 99?
    Tom, that decision is really a personal one. I am waiting for the 2000 model because they would have to drop the price on the 1999 a lot because it is a year old and I like the sound of model 2000. As far as changes go I have read in many forums they will be minor. Chrysler has come out themselves stating there will be a minor drop in price in the LHS.
    Tom, Check out this web page. www.car-truck.com/chryed/news.htm
    Well, seem to have gotten a few responses on the
    LHS...but again, no problem reports, etc. I belong to a 300M LHS forum and I get unsolicited
    EMAIL's almost every morning..and have hear horror stories on the 300M's "sticking windows"
    and "severe pulling to the left or right and door
    panel trim problems, etc, etc! Since the LHS is the same car (mechanically at least) I take it these problems are the same?? Anyone answer that question i SUBMITTED ON THE goodyear TIRES? THX
  • beauzeaubeauzeau Member Posts: 1
    LHS comments for potential buyers.

I purchased a 1999 LHS in June and only have 900 miles on it. What some folks consider a problem others don't. For example, road noise. I think my LHS has just the right amount of road noise. I've driven some really quiet cars and frankly they scare me. Driving is a sensory experience and the elimination of road noise completely deprives me of one of those senses for judging speed. It's easy to lose track of your speed in a really quiet car.

The same goes for road feedback through the steering wheel. I've driven luxury cars and my number one complaint has been the lack of road feel in the steering. I was hesitant about getting a full size car but needed one for family reasons (daughter outgrew the back seat of my Eclipse GSX). The LHS handles great with good steering wheel feedback (speed sensitive steering system feels great) and it doesn't wallow about like most full size autos. I'm very pleased with the LHS so far. I've not experienced any door trim problems or sticking windows.

I liked the LHS larger trunk and rear seat room and prefer the body lines over the 300M; but, that's just my preferences in style and needs.

If you keep a car for ten or more years like I do, then 1999 versus 2000 is not too hard to decide. 1999s are to be had cheap right now and the difference in value ten years from now on a 1999 compared to a 2000 won't likely compensate for purchase price savings now.
    As I said the year is a personal choice
  • tomjobetomjobe Member Posts: 6
    I understand chrysler will be coming out this week with a much larger incentive than the $1000 which ended 8/2. Anybody hear how much?? thanks, TOM
  • stevmoorestevmoore Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for an LHS and Autobytel told me that Chrysler announced a $2000 incentive yesterday. Incidentally, Autobytel seems to be coming up with the best price - $25770 for the 99 vs 26600 or so from the dealers in my area (Northern VA). What they do is start at the invoice price and just subtract the incentive. They must be making their money on the dealer holdback...
    Can anyone tell me how much better the UPGRADED
    stereo system sounds compared to the base stereo?
    Is it worth the extra $300.00? I'll be ordering
    a 2000 LHS in a few months. I have never had a "great" factory stereo system. I have to believe
    its because of the very CHEAP speakers the mfg puts in these cars. I have a 98 PARK AVENUE ULTRA
    (top of line Buick with everything) and its stereo
    sytem sounds horrible! I read somewhere that they
    upgraded it on the 99 & up models. I have a 99 NEON also and its stereo sounds TREMENDOUSLY better than the Park's..figure that!
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I'm seriously considering an LHS and, with the recently announced $2,000 dealer cash and a dealer offer to deduct that amount from invoice, it seems like an attractive deal. (I like the LHS over the 300M primarily because of the trunk size and the little extra interior room. I have an Aurora and the Aurora and 300M trunk openings are comparable: you can hardly get anything of an size (like two large suitcases) in either of them. And I don't like/need/want the AutoStick.) Questions: (1) Anybody know what if any changes have been made to the 2000 models? Sticker price on the 2000 is down about $300 from the start of '99, which would make the invoice to invoice comparison, exclusive of the $2,000 cash, only about $1,700, assuming one could get a 2000 at invoice reasonably soon after introduction.
    (2) An article in the Detroit Press commented that the LHS air conditioning is somewhat weak and inefficient. Anyone had any real world experience with it? (3) There are always "anecdotal" problems with every car. Are there known problems with the LHS/300M that would, in your opinion, disqualify the car from your consideration? I keep cars about 3 years and drive them about 50-55K miles. The Aurora has a 50K warranty, which made most of my driving covered, but the LHS/300M warranty is 36K, as I recall. Should I be leery of 20K unwarranted miles with the LHS? (4) Has anyone had any experience with the in-trunk CD changer? I like the ones that connect directly to the amplifier, but have had bad experiences with the type that connect through the antenna input and are "tuned" through the radio. How does the Chrysler LHS/300M type work? I need to get whatever info I can by the end of next week (by Aug. 14). Any input would be greatly appreciated, including your opinions about a 1999 versus a 2000 model.
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    I have a '99 LHS in platinum pearl w/5 chrome 17" wheels, a moon roof, upgraded stereo and an added in-trunk CD magazine. It is a fine auto. It was purchased in 5/21/99 and I had a few problems for my early purchase but they were cosmetic and fixed by the dealer/DC.

I, too, skipped the 300M because of its size and looks. I consider the front end unattractive when compared w/that of the LHS. Also, condsider that the 300M is based upon the Intreped body while the LHS is based upon the slightly larger Concorde body. Trunk space and rear seat room were a prime consideration for me and the LHS had all that in spades.

Regarding the AC, I can only say after 17200 mi that I have never had a better AC system and this is my 59th new car since 1950. I have mostly had just about all brands; some were better than others and all had some problems, even the 2 Mercedes which I owned in the mid eighties.

If you have any problem anticipated with exceeding the warranty, simply buy an appropriate length extended warranty to cover the anticipated time you will own the car.

I do have a trunk-installed CD changer. It is a Sony -- would NOT have the Chrysler version for several reasons. First, my unit playss the same magazines in the house or in the car, so I simply take the MAGAZINES back and forth, never have to touch the disks at all. Second, the 10 disk Sony has considerably more capacity than the DC version and probably is made by Pioneer, a brand I have never had much faith in for reliability. Mine does connect via an RF amplifier w/no appreciable problem in sound quality, IMHO.

I have painted my outside mirrors to body color and added two small cinammon-colored stripes to generally match the interior. The appearance of the auto is outstanding Vs the plai black mirrors as it comes. I also hear that DC will finally go back to painting the outside mirrors to body color again (they did on the LHS in '94 and '95).

Regarding the '99 Vs '00 model -- if you must have the newest, by all means buy the '00, but if you want to save a bit, buy a '99 -- there probably will be minimal changes. I can tell you how to paint the mirrors if you wish. Cost me about $60 and it looks like a factory job.

Have fun, by all means.
  • jrigbyjrigby Member Posts: 2
    Any new information on the changes from 1999 to the 2000 model (I know that any changes will probably be small). Does anyone of any color changes. Thanks
  • lynn45lynn45 Member Posts: 1
    I have driven minivans for 12 years. Want to go to a car. Still have two teens and need room for friends. Looking at LHS and 300M. 300M is more sporty but insurance is much higher. Anyone have an LHS used as a family car care to answer? Also how do either cars handle on snow and or ice?
  • 99woodsc99woodsc Member Posts: 2
    We had a pretty mild winter, but what snow & ice we did get posed no problem for my 99 LHS. The ABS and traction control help significantly.

I have put 21,000 miles on to date and the only problem is the sticking window. I've cleaned the slots time and time again, but they still will stick if I roll them up tight. I've found that if I stop the window before it "cements" itself in place, the sicking doesn't occur. I suppose that I'm losing some of the quietness, but I seem to live in a bank or fast-food drive-thru lane, so the trade off is worth it.

Anyone else have a better suggestion on getting the sticking to stop? Two trips to the dealer have resulted in zip!
    99woodsc-

I'm not sure if you are the one who posted about the sticking windows before, but I had the same problem on my 300M. I don't remember EXACTLY what I used to solve the problem, but, looking on the shelf in my garage, the ONLY thing that I see that I could have possibly used is Turtle Wax- Clear Guard. I have had this stuff for a long time, so I'm not sure if they still sell it.

I put some on the edge of a wash cloth and coated all the rubber around the front and rear windows even though it was just the rear windows that were sticking. I did this a long time ago and only did it once. If it wasn't going to work, it would have showed up by now because I rarely open the back windows except to wash the dirt marks at the top of the window because I think they look stupid only going halfway down.

Hope this helps you out.

fastdriver
  • 99woodsc99woodsc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try a wax-type product this weekend. I've tried cleaners in the past, but they seem to have no effect on the problem.

I wasn't the previous "sticking windows" post as yesterday's post was my first to this forum. Strangely enough, only the front windows have stuck on my LHS, never the rear!

Chuck
    Thanks for your comments. I was especially pleased to hear of your AC experience. Since I posted my note I read in one of the auto mags that the '00 will have a 4-disc in dash changer. The article didn't mention anything else as being new for '00. My question about '99 vs. '00 is more economic than anything else. I have a $1,000 certificate from DC, good on a '99 purchased until September 30, so the issue is whether a '00 is worth $2,700 more than a '99, again assuming one could buy both at invoice and then get $3,000 off the '99, and taking the '00 price reduction into account.

Re: the DC in-trunk CD changer, does anyone know if that connects directly through the amp, or through the antennae input connector? I guess my prior poor experience with an RF changer has made me "twice shy" of that type of unit. Perhaps they've improved.

Much will depend on the bottom line numbers the dealer actually comes up with. While they are located in my area, I've never dealt with them and don't know (yet) if the preliminary talk was a lowball. But I think I should be able to find that deal without much trouble, considering the relative popularity of the LHS vs. the 300M.
    Forgot to take you up on your offer of information on painting the mirrors. I am interested.
    One other question re: the '99 LHS: what is the build-date that incorporates all the mid-year changes? Also, do the currently built U.S. cars have daytime running lights?
    During the recent heat wave here in the East (hotter than it's been the rest of the stinking hot summer), my front windows began to stick. I took some baby powder and coated as much of the "in the groove" rubber as I could. The sticking stopped immediately. I don't know if this will help any of the others with the sticking windows or not.

Jeff
    jeffc1-

Hey, if it's safe enough for a baby's behind, how could it hurt the rubber molding around the windows?

fastdriver
    Need a fast answer. Do either the 300M or LHS come with automatic Daylight Running Lights? Are they available as an add-on? Thanks.
  • sussantransussantran Member Posts: 2
    When I ask "The dealer incentive" that your guy talking about, $1000 ended 08/02/99 and $2000 for now. The dealer's answer "only apply to leasing"
    not buying. Is it true.
    That's dealer BS. The $2000 is cash from DM to him for selling or leasing a car. He can pass it on to the buyer or put it in his pocket. I've spoken to five dealers recently, while looking for a 1999 LHS, and every one started out by passing it on to me, buy or lease. Problem is, if you buy they can't get more $$$ by leasing it. That's why your dealer doesn't want you to buy. I don't know how many DC dealers are in your area, but you can get the full $2000 off of invoice on a purchase by looking around.
    Thanks for the reply. I knew about the 2000s and should have clarified I was referring to the 1999 model, that is, if I get a 1999, will I be able to add the DLR?
    mcgreenx-

I JUST read today, in another Chrysler forum, that you can buy a module that plugs into the fuse box and have DRL's. Try this site to read about it- http://www.allpar.com/cgi-local/concorde.pl? If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll cut and paste the message here for you.

fastdriver
  • mugwump2mugwump2 Member Posts: 33
    The manual makes no distinction between the US and Canadian flavor 99 300M except that the US doesn't have the module. The manual shows a dotted line for it but not the associated wireing. It installs in the engine room fuze panel. I can't say for sure but looks like just plug it in and you have DRL's. Makes sense.