Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    What do you guys think of these chrome handles. Would they last?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1836247743

• jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Tacky, tackie , takey and way you spell it the look terrible why not just glue on some aluminum foil?

The LHS is a luxury car not a low rider. No stick on chrome of any kind.
    Chrome Handles are NOT for Low Riders. Some of the most luxurious cars offer the Chrome Handles. Take a look at these 2 cars, the 2002 Aston Martin and the 2002 Bentley (I really don't think they're tacky!).

Maybe you didn't like the idea of the stick-on, but if it did'nt look perfect like an original handle, I would never consider it. By the way, what about the fake plastic wood dashboard, or the plastic-chrome window switches, are they tacky?

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    God, how I hate those!
    That's why I paid extra for the luxury group to get the real wood. Yes I hate plastic chrome switches as well as all other plastic chrome, it doesn't have the look or feel of real chrome. If the door handles were real like on your examples that wood be great but why cheapen up a beautiful car with plastic stick-ons. I am not criticizing your choice just voicing my taste sorry :>( if I came out too strong did not mean to ! It's just that you asked and fake add-ons are one of my pet peeves, especially the plastic chrome door edging,take about ruining body lines. I just want to walk up and peel them off when I see them !
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    That's one of the few things that I do not like about my car. I wish they would not have laid it all the way across the dash like they did. Ick!
  • valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    Go to www.discountdash.com Then click on the "photo showroom". Go to the 300 M pix. This kit looks excellent in LHS' with the beige interior. It covers the door panels and dash with brushed bronz. It also has the center vent covers, door switch covers, etc. The only piece they are missing is the shifter. I have had this kit in my car for over a year. It has held up great and looks nice. Even the dealer commented that he liked my interior better than the factory's.
    The brushed bronze looks a lot better than fake wood.

I was looking at some of the other pics in the list and almost puked when I saw the Mustang with the fake wood additions.
  • tpiketpike Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a 2000 LHS and I love it. I don't really want to get rid of my 95 T-bird, but my kids are not getting any shorter. Can anyone tell me what the shortcomings of this vehicle are?
    I read your notes about the front end knocking, but the dealer is certifying it,and there is the remainder of the 36,000/3 yr warranty as well as a 8yr/80,000 mile power train warranty, is there anything else that would fall outside of these limits that I need to know about? And is $17,9 for a fully-loaded LHS with 30,000 miles a good deal?
    Bought my wife a steel blue with all the toys 01 last Nov. She says its the best car she ever had. She said she has gotten more compliments on it than all her other cars combined. Don't get me wrong this is not a chick car I love to take it out ever chance I get. Just like the one commercial where the guy keep going to the store just to drive the car. Just punch it once getting on the freeway and you will be sold, no problems merging other than being careful not to ride up someone going the speed limit's rear bumper. With the 8/80 power train already on it the cost to add bumper to bumper should not be that much. Try chryslerwarranty.com that's where I got mine it is a true factory warranty. With all the toys and computers on the LHS I'm betting I will come out ahead,not because of this model I just feel that any car with a lot of electronics will need some repairs and it doesn't take many to rack up the $$$
  • tpiketpike Member Posts: 2
    I did it!!! I am so glad I go this car!!! I had actually talked myself out of it last night, but found out that the only way my T-bird would pass emissions was to replace the engine $3200, and hi BB on it is only $2500. So that made the decision for me. I did get the 8/80 bumper to bumper like you suggested and you were right, it wasn't that expensive when you consider all that could go wrong. I have a 50 mile drive on Monday out to a work site and can hardly wait to get it out on the freeway, these Texas drivers are very intense, and lane territorial, so I am hopeful that moving from a V8 down to a 6 won't give me any problems. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help.
  • dhgiiidhgiii Member Posts: 5
    It's been over two years since I last posted. My 2000 LHS is still purring along, now with just over 20k on it. A 2400 mile trip to and from Miami last winter down I-95 was great. We averaged 27 MPG with a trunk full of luggage (that's A LOT in an LHS), and at cruising speeds..... let's just say we were REALLY cruisin'. I was happy with the car's performance, and still am!
    Now that I've said some good stuff..... let's get to the bad stuff.
    1.)The black trim strip along the back edge of the hood looks like the clearcoat is being stripped away by the wind.
    2.) The steering wheel leather is developing ridges and pockmarks in the areas where it is held.
    3.) The driver seat "shifts" when braking.

Now I can't complain too loudly, since none of the above is a mechanical problem that would have me stranded by the side of the road, but I do keep this car spotless, like most who read these messages keep their cars. And! This car did list for over 30 grand. A bit too much to have the cosmetic and annoying "seat shift" problems listed above. We'll see what Chrysler has to say next week. It will be the first time back to them. I just don't want to hear the service writer say "That's considered normal" to any of the above!

My only other complaint is the same I had back in May of 2000.
    Tire noise... especially on concrete road surfaces..... coming from the Goodyear Eagle LS tires is very high. I would love to replace them if somebody out there has found a truly quiet tire for this car. Any advice from you fellow owners?

All in all, this car WAS the best kept secret at Chrysler. Too bad it's been reduced to a trim level of the Concorde this year. It's no wonder postings have dropped off so much.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    dhgiii-

Go to the 300M topic here in TH. I believe that two of the 3 items you mentioned are TSB's. Someone there will help you.

fastdriver
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Let's see, I'm knowledgable of these "quiet" tires from the 300M guys. Here are a few:

1)Dunlop SP Sport A2- Great grip, just about silent from what I've read and heard.
    2)Yokohama Avid T4(or H4?)- Low price, good ride, handling, quietness.
    3)Yokohama 420- Good price, nice ride, excellent handling, very quiet.
    4)Bridgestone Pole-Position S-03- Great grip and ride, very quiet, not the cheapest, but very high ratings.

These are just a few that I can remember. Try going over to the 300M guys and ask, they'll probably tell you of the same ones, but maybe a few others too.
    I've just about hit 36k miles on my LHS, with plenty of tread on my Goodyears, but I can't take the noise and the VIBRATION any more. I'm planning on purchasing the "Yokohama Avid T4" from tirerack.com. They are listed for $95 each, which is pretty cheap considering the tire has great reviews in performance and especially that they are very QUIET.
  • dhgiiidhgiii Member Posts: 5
    Wow! What a response!

Fastdriver.... I made sure my dealer was aware of those TSB's. It's what I'm counting on to get everything back to brand new again. And yes, all LHS owners should check out the 300M posts. We're driving pretty much the same car, and there's loads of info there.

Beach15....talk about choices! I especially like your comment on Dunlop's being "just about silent". I'm pricing all thoise choices right now!

And Bb_lhs_2k..... I stopped at a tire store on the way home from work tonight to price the Avid T4's! I hope you keep us posted on your experience from both buying tires from Tirerack.com AND on how quiet they really are once you get them on your car. Just a note about buying those tires, though. I got a price (I'm in PA)of $505 for 4 tires, mounted, balanced, new stems, raodside hazard, discard of current tires, and all taxes. Unless you've got a buddy in the mounting business, you may end up paying more after shipping, and getting someone to mount them!

Thanks again to all three of you. And stay tuned...
  • docentdocent Member Posts: 2
    The driver door on my LHS rubbed on the firewall silencer pad and tore it apart (actually Edmunds was complaining about it during 2002 300M road test). The dealer can fix it under the warranty (even ordered the part) but in order to put a new pad in, the whole front fender plus some parts in the door must be removed.
    It is basically a piece of foam. Do you think it is worth to take apart half of the car to replace it? Does it really decrease a noise (I did not notice any noise increase but maybe it was cracked since new)or it has some other use?
    Thanks a lot for your opinions!
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    NO WAY!!

I would not dare let a car dealer (regardless of make) do that to my car just to get that piece of foam back inside the fender. If you let them do this you should expect some scratches on the paint, possibly some rattles and maybe a misalligned fender all at no extra charge to you, just thrown in for doing business with them. If we are talking about the same part I am sure it can be changed without all the disassembly, but I doubt that the dealer is capable of doing it!!!!
  • docentdocent Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for your opinion!
    That was exactly what I was afraid of.
    The dealer I was talking to assured me that the front of the car must be taken apart.
    I checked the part again . It is a piece of foam attached to the fender, you can see it when the doors are opened. I thought it would be possible just to remove the old one and slide a new part in.
    I will call another dealer tomorrow and find out if they can fix it in a simple way.

thanks again.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Is that dealer for real? that pad can be replaced easily without removing any parts. it just slips in.its a foam pad not steel!!!
    ottowrkr-

THAT'S why Chrysler is in the financial shape that it is! Half these dealers don't have the SLIGHTEST clue what they're doing! That's probably why it cost Chrysler $3,300 in warranty repair work on Christine in 33 months! They are NOT true mechanics. Just replace it, don't even TRY to fix. Can't believe Chrysler lets them get away with this crap. Half of what they spent on Christine probably wasn't necessary!

fastdriver
    Took my 01LHS in today. The air bag cover on the steering wheel is starting to peel at the edge.
    I wanted them to replace the cover only. No can do?? But, will replace the whole air bag assy to a cost of $800.00 under warranty. So a five dollar part is a $800.00 dollar repair for Chrysler.
  • tksatksatksatksa Member Posts: 30
    Can anyone give me a source for Chrysler Technical Service Bullettins?

Thanks.
    tksatksa -

Try this http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Click on problems/issues in the left column and then put in the appropriate info for the car you want to look up. You don't get much info, but you have several options. I believe you can order the full TSB from them or at least get the TSB number so that your "award-winning 5-STAR" dealer can look up the full TSB on THEIR computer IF they even know how to use it since not many dealers ever bother checking for TSB's to begin with. They all like to "play" dumb when it comes to any problem that you bring to their attention.

Another source for TSB info is- I think- http://www.alldata.com

Hope this helps. Like I always say when going to a DC dealer for ANYTHING- BE PREPARED!

fastdriver

I didn't know that there was "Red" availabe for the "2000 LHS". I've never seen this color before, but it looks pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853835613

The only red that is shown for the 2000 in the Chrysler LHS Brochure is a Dark Garnet Red. That is definetly a rare color for an LHS if it is a factory paint job.
    says it all. Sounds like a major damage and repaint to me, maybe hail so the whole car had to be re painted.

Looks good but needs razorstars to help the wheels compete with the paint job.

Also, no bone throw ?
    jab02lhs, I believe you are correct. I supersized the main pic - showing the front end dead on. Looks like serious overspray on the front airdam.
    No, no damage or hail at all, I emailed the seller. He told me when they bought it, it was "burgundy" or Dark Garnet Red, but his wife didn't like the color, so they had it custom painted "Viper Red". Looks kind of cool, but could really use some chrome Razorstars.

About that front air damn too. I didn't ask, but rather than overspray, I was wondering if it was possible they just painted it too with everything else. The paint job does look very good from what I can see, but I wonder if it'll be hard to sell?
    Yea,
    And your parents told the dealer about all the problems with their 300M before they traded it in :>)
    jab02lhs-

Problems? What problems? The "5-STAR" couldn't duplicate the problems or said that they all did that- was a characteristic of the car! ;-))))

fastdriver
    Hey, I guarantee you that a significant chunk of vehicles that are traded in or sold have been in, at one time or another, some sort of mishap. Some are minor scrapes, and some are $12k rear-enders, either way, if all is fixed properly, end of story, there's nothing worth telling. It's not like they don't find out certain things on their own when they do the "trade evaluation" drive and inspection. And, once again, as I've said before, after the accident and 2 month repair, our 300M was in the EXACT SAME CONDITION with the same characteristics as the moment before impact. The only problem we had after the wreck was the wipers malfunctioning every so often, a problem most likely not caused by the wreck, as it was an electronic glitch that the 5* wouldn't or couldn't fix.

fastdriver- Amen! Exactly!
    jab02lhs-

In addition- should I have told the dealer that Chrysler did $3,300 worth of warranty work on Christine in the 33 months that I had her? Was never IN a wreck, just WAS a wreck!

fastdriver
    My point was that even if the LHS/Viper was damaged and re painted the owner's reply would have been the same. "No Damage"."EXACT SAME CONDITION", as before repaint.
    Come on who goes out and buys a 30K car and then decides they don"t like the color?
    Also no car is ever the same after a collision. :>( IMHO
    I agree that a car is never the same after a major collision (i.e. having the trunk pushed up to the rear window) Although it could be after a proper RESTORATION. However no car dealer or average body shop works at that level nor are they in business to do that, they just do work to satisfy the average joe that cannot tell the difference.
    One of my tires was flat this morning, so I took it to a tire dealer to have it fixed. Turns out that it was leaking air from the seam (original tire with 37k miles). After taking the tire off the chrome wheel, we found a few places on the wheel where there was corrosion and bubbles, which caused the air to leak out. He said this is normal of aluminum chrome wheels, and he compared it to cancer where, unfortunately, it will keep spreading around the wheel. I think this is terrible, such a short lifespan for a beautiful wheel. I have taken great care of them, especially in the winter, never left any dirt or salt on them at all. Oh well!
    bb_lhs_2k -

Mmmm....maybe they won't have that problem now with the new and improved plastic, chrome plated wheels.

fastdriver
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    Sorry to hear about your chrome wheel corrosion and bubble problem. I now have 47K on my '99 LHS and have not experienced this problem up to this point.

Replaced my GoodYears at about 30K with Michelin Pilots; wheels rims were fine at that point but that was well over a year ago. I had a flat on the GoodYears and immediately replaced the OEM tires; was waiting for an excuse. The Pilots are much better.

Now, though, you almost tempt me to have my rims checked!! But there has been no indication of air pressure problems, so I'll probably wait until another flat to check rims.

Thanks for the input; makes me think. :^))
    As many have posted on the 300M Board, the speed sensor is a weak link. My 2000 LHS with 56K miles refused to shift as I entered the highway. I watched as the tach needle climbed and waited patiently for the tranny to shift finally realizing it wouldn't. Then the engine light came on. I remembered the many posts from the 300M guys explaining the same situation and describing the "limp home" mode that the computer went into. When I finally got it home is when the fun started.

I called my dealer and explained the problem and my suspicions about the speed sensor. He said "no problem, we can fit you in, in two weeks." "WHAT!!!! Maybe you don't understand", I said, "the vehicle is not driveable, the engine light is on and it won't shift out of second gear." After getting the Service Manager (funny title for someone with no intention of giving service)on the phone he says, "I'm sorry, just bring it in and I will try to fit you in this week." I'm still not happy but 'try' is better than two weeks.

I couldn't break away to bring the car in so my wife volunteered. My cell phone rings mid day and she tells me that the associate running the free shuttle called in sick and that she has no ride home from the dealership (35 miles). I'm very involved in work but trying to avoid a conflict, I tell her, "That's OK just use one of the free rental coupons they gave us when we bought the LHS. I'm sure you all can see this coming a mile away. Fifteen minutes later my cell phone rings again, "Guess what", my wife says, "They're all out of rental cars!!!!" I tell her not to worry, I'll fix it.

By now I'm in full battle gear, flack jacket, cammo, hollow-points, I'm ready. I call the dealership and ask for the General Manager......5 minutes on hold.....I get voice mail. Hang up and call back. Explain, I asked for the General Manager, the voice says, "He's not in today." I ask for the Service Manager.....10 minutes on hold....I can't even tell if I'm on hold, no music, nothing. Hang up call back. I asked for the Service Manager, she says, "I'm sorry he's at lunch." Can I please have the Sales Manager, nope he's with a customer. O.K. lady I'm about ready to lose it here, I've got my wife sitting in the rental office with no car, no shuttle and I've asked 3 times to speak to someone and you have failed. Please find me a manager of some kind that can truly help a customer. After 5 minutes on hold I talk to the Business Manager. I basically re-hash the last 4 paragraphs and close with "If this is the kind of service that is warranted by a $32,000 purchase from you folks I would hate to see how you treat Neon owners!"

Here's the end of the story. The Business Manager drives my wife 20 miles to another of their franchise dealerships and gets her a rental. She's now 55 miles from home.

To recap:

Price of the LHS - $32,000

Price of the speed sensor - free (extended non-chrysler warrantee)

Price of the rental - free

Price of the 4 hours my wife wasted - inexcuseable

Price of the 30 minutes I spent on the phone - unforgiveable

Price of the new cars I will buy over the next 30 years at the rate of one every 2 years - $480,000 not adjusted for inflation.

Chrysler will NEVER see a penny of this money! I refuse to ever drive a car sold by people who don't care about customers. The ONLY way to pay these folks back is to vote with my dollars.
    Believe me, we too ran into the same garbage at our 5* about 7 or 8 times. Getting an appointment never seemed to be a problem, usually scheduled for a few days later. But, in those appointments, they rarely, if ever, could fix or resolve any issue the car was brought in for. Or, it was an "oh well, we just don't know what to do" or an "oops, we ordered the wrong part, it will be another few weeks". Basically, we knew EVERY person who worked in the service department, and when we showed up the last few visits, they knew who had arrived, one pulling the car up to the door step, another walking her to the door, and yet another walking her to the car and opening the door. Problem was, one time this last guy said it all, "Nice car", he said and she asked if he wanted to buy it, too which she got, "oh no, I'd never buy a Chrysler". Now mind you, this man worked in the 5* dealer, so you'd think he'd at least have some sense of loyalty, but I guess not!

This, among a few others, is why we got rid of the car and have never looked back. What's even weirder to me is that at the Chevy dealership we bought the new vehicle from and to another where we went once to have something quickly checked, they were prompt, courteous, and customer-friendly. No problems, no anger. Just as it should be. Our relatives also just bought a new Kia Sedona, and have rave reviews about the dealer, who also calls every time they've ever brought the van in or called, asking about their satisfaction and how they may better serve them, a fact to which they actually act on within a day of any complaint, large or small. That's customer service, and I can only hope that so many Chrysler dealers out there get the picture soon.
    Been there, done that.

My '94 LHS had the transmission limping problem coming back from Hilton Head (13 hour drive on a Sunday) and just about everything else you describe with the dealer at that time. My problem is always wanting to buy the newest upgrade of a car. '94 and '99 were complete revisions of the LH series.

So with the '99, now I have been carrying the two sensors needed to fix it most times in my glove box; haven't had to use them yet (47K). Figure I can crawl under the car and replace them, if needed, rather than mess with a dealer.

Notice you live in VA; mind saying who the dealer was who was so unresponsive? I have been using Koons in Tyson's Corner; once tried Leesburg Chrysler and won't go back there; considering Manassas Chrylser. Not fond of Chrysler dealers, in general, and looking for ones to avoid entirely.
    Our other vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Tahoe and our dealer has been excellent. My father worked for GM for 30 years and I actually still enjoy a family discount when I buy a GM product. My next vehicle will either be the new Grand Prix G Force, GTO or Silverado SS. I will be dumping the LHS by March 2003.

The dealer in question is POMOCO in Hampton, VA. They are something else.
    valhs-

Sorry to hear about your problems, but NOT surprised at all. You really need this additional stress in your life these days. I don't see things changing anytime soon for DC despite what they say. I solved the stress problem with Christine(99 300M) by getting rid of her 3 months early and buying an 2001 Acura CL-S in March 2001.

I have only been to the dealer for 3 oil/filter changes and 2 tire rotations/balance in 18,700 miles. I did have my FIRST problem a few weeks ago when I noticed that the radio speaker covering on the passenger door was wet from the bottom up. I went to the dealer who looked at it right then and there and said that he would need it for a day or two to check it out, but that he would give me a new TL to drive. Haven't had a chance to call for an appointment yet. Will probably do that Monday because since that time we've had no rain, but expect heavy rain tomorrow. I expect the speaker cover will get wet again.

Good luck.

fastdriver
    Sorry to hear that it was Pomoco; I have bought parts via e-mail from them (discounted) and they have always been good about it. Hampton is a bit out of my area of Northern VA.

Thanks.
    I have to admit that Acura really does do it right. When you spend $30,000+ on a car you expect certain things in return. Acura delivers. One of my co-workers has an Acura, in addition to the 4yr/50K mile bumper to bumper warranty, he also has a loaner car when and if he ever needs it. Service appointments are never a problem because Acura service departments are seldom very busy places.

But here's the real stinger. In addition to the injustices that must be endured with every trip back to the dealer, comes the cold reality of residual value. While the Acura's sticker is in the same range as the LHS ($32,000), it's residual value is much higher. Used 2000 Acura TL's and CL's in my market routinely go for $20,000 - $25,000 while the trade-in value on my LHS is $12,000 according to Kelly Blue Book. How can a 2 year old vehicle lose 63% of its original sticker?! This brings the cost of ownership on the vehicle to over $14,000 per year! This is the last Chrysler I'll EVER buy.
  • bmac21bmac21 Member Posts: 1
    Noticed that the A/C on my 2000 LHS was blowing warm air. Currently at 37,000 miles, so took it to mechanic for A/C inspection. Mechanic recharged A/C, but said evaporator has a leak. Mech. also said evaporator repair could be over $300 - have to pull the dash to get at it. Warranty expired at 36k miles. Mechanic said I should check with DCX to see if they could do anything for me. Any idea who I should start with? Local dealer?? Otherwise, wife & I love the car & the the tremendous amt. of storage space in trunk!!
    "A car is more than just basic transportation, it's an extension of yourself and your personality." a quote from your profile.
    I much rather be a classic elegant American luxury than a plain boring expressionless vanilla box. IMHO.
    By the way went to the Chrysler Route 2002 here in Cleveland today. They had two Acura's to test drive against the 300M Specials no one even wanted to try them the were just sitting their.
    I did try one after the 300M Because I had heard that a couple of 300M owners had traded their M's for them and I wanted to see why.
    Still don"t know why I was not impressed with anything about the car.
    Was real impressed with the M Special though. My wife has the 01 LHS and it is probably the right ride for her, but I really liked the handling of the M a lot better for myself.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Acura does it right by valhs, well check this out jdone1 "Acura 3.2TL" Sep 14, 2002 12:23pm read some of these posts
    Yup, I have a 99 as well, and my tires (2 of 4) lose about 1 lb of pressure per day. I always have a tire gauge in the car and I have to top them up at each gas fill. The tires are less than a year old, no punctures or anything like that. Definitely slow leak from the rims.
    This is no commercial just one man's experience. Obviously from my previous post you can tell I got to test my extended warranty. I bought a 10yr/100K mile $0 deductible extended warranty from 1SourceAutoWarranty.com. for $1,225. This was compared to the Chrysler version for about double. Today they paid for EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING. The warranty even would've covered a rental car. I highly suggest anyone with a Chrysler product to look into one, should you decide to keep your vehicle. I won't even go into my experience with picking up my vehicle today but rest assured it was a disaster from start to finish. Tried to rip me off at every turn.

Jab02LHS - Yes your car is an extension of yourself and I want to quickly remove the "sucker" tatoo from my forehead. If a car classified as "vanilla" holds 78% of its value, ranks in JD Power Satifaction Ratings as excellent, gives me a 4yr/50K mile bumper to bumper warranty and a free loaner.......make mine a triple scoop and hold the nuts. And as for the "special" anyone willing to pay a premium for 18" wheels, dual exhaust and 8.0 second zero to 60 times ought to have their head examined. I refuse to drive a "sport sedan" that my wifes Tahoe can take.

Quality Issues 300M & LHS

Shrinking weather stripping
    Shrinking or detached headlight trim
    Malfunctioning alarm system
    Malfunctioning power door locks
    Malfunctioning information center
    Warped rotors
    Leaking chrome rims
    Clear coat peeling from hood trim
    Melting steering wheel trim
    Speed sensors

Check the TSB's this is not a reliable car. I've vented enough for awhile. I swear I will not speak unless spoken to until further notice.