Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    jrock:

You are probably right about most of the people in the world still believing that Mercedes is the ultimate luxuary brand and BMW is the ultimate "driving machine".

Unfortunately for those auto manufactures...The people that buy Luxury cars think differently.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I hardly think Germany will stand still. You should know by now that I know a lot better than that. But any penetration of Europe will come at someone's expense. As for the styling knock-off thing the fact is they have sold a lot of LS cars from 2001 till now. I read less and less of that criticism in the press and more and more of it on these boards. But I sure don't consider you (or any other individual who posts here) as a cause of anything in this industry.

By #1 lux plate - I simply meant units sold. I have no doubt MB is still the prestige leader though I think they are sliding fast.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    You are probably right about most of the people in the world still believing that Mercedes is the ultimate luxuary brand and BMW is the ultimate "driving machine".

The people that buy Luxury cars think differently

You're soooooo right ! Putting your money where your mouth is, is a lot different from wishful thinking and dreaming. But, we can dream, can't we ?
    Just a quick comment on your post stating the pending releases from MB. Do you suppose these new releases will improve MBs fortunes in the lux space here in the US ? How many CL65s, CLS500s, or SLKs will MB sell to reverse their sales trend ? Today, all C-class (I presume it includes C, CL, CLK) are behind the single trim Lexus ES330 in sales, so how much uplift will these new redos provide ? Ditto, the S-class sales are way down compared to the LS, will the new S redo in 06/07 reverse the sales chart vs the new redo LS-Hybrid ?

And I do not have an answer to your rhetorical question of why Lexus with a 100 less dealerships than MB in the US outsell MBs in total sales ? Maybe the MB oracle (Merc1) knows :)
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Sales year to date:

Lexus=88,947
    MB=67,543

Lexus has a sizable lead, but you also have to factor in the fact that the average MB vehicle costs more. I'd venture to guess that the average Lexus selling price is about $44,000 and the average MB selling price is about $57,000.

88,947 x 44 = 3,913,668
    67,543 x 57 = 3,848,951

Seen in this way, it's not so clear that Lexus is running away with it.

Not very scientific and based on guesses, but you get the point.
  • bloozemanbloozeman Member Posts: 5
    A STS-V is planned and in the works. I was interested in the CTS-V until I read the quirks Car & Driver discovered in their recent road test/comparison of it the exiting M5, and a current M3. Granted I don't think I'd be burning enough rubber to worry about the "wheel hop", etc. that they encountered but I'm not so sure the design can handle the horsepower and torque. On the other hand I saw a new Pontiac GTO first hand and based on the Car & Driver review of it I'd save $20K and go with it. Sure the styling is a little bland but the car is definitely fun to drive.

-Ray
  • bloozemanbloozeman Member Posts: 5
    "hope you are James Spader in the short-lived nut-job-lawyer role in "The Practice". This is the funniest, most creative and refreshing role to come to network TV in ages. Too bad it didn't last."

Off topic but at least I'm not alone in thinking his role was a huge win and brought some serious life back into otherwise a completely stale program.

-Ray
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    "Do you think that if Mercedes went back to their former style that Lexus "copied" they would sell a lot more cars."

I'm not sure actually. I think design wise they've never been better with the exception of the CLK and Maybach. Neither of those cars "look" like they should imo. I also think the SL could stand a few less frivolous details like on the sides and hood, but overall Mercedes seems to be at the top of their game design wise. This statement is pending me actually seeing the CLS mind you. Their old style probably wouldn't sell today unless they brought back everything that went along with those designs. You know like the hefty build and much better reliability, you know the stuff that made the legend in the first place. For them to just go back to stodgy designs without the corresponding jump in quality wouldn't work, again imo. If they did both then heck yeah it would work, but they'd sell a lot less cars. Good question.

Also, if people buying Lexuses think that they are the ultimate then people buying MB, BMW and others think those brands are the ultimates also. Overall image still goes to the Germans, no matter how slight or fleeting that advantage may be to Lexus owners. Until Lexus does some, what I like to call gee-whiz cars and a 100K+ car they simply don't have the image here and especially on the worldwide scene.

oac,

You're confused about Mercedes-Benz's models. The "C-Class" does not comprise the CLK or CL. The CLK is a 50K+ machine and the CL is a 100K+. The CLK is based on the C-Class sedan chassis, but its sales aren't counted in with the C-Class. The CL is a large coupe based on the S-Class, it has nothing to do with the C-Class at all. If you think the 50K+ CLK Coupe/Convertible and 100K and up CL Coupe are supposed to even contend with a 33K ES330 Sedan (in the heart of the market) for sales you're completely lost on how the market works.

The S-Class being down on sales means what? The car came out in the Spring of 1999 as MY2000 car and is now the oldest car in this class. It had a record year in 2000 and in 2003, which were its introduction and face-lift years. The LS has and will do the same thing for 2001 and 2004. These are normal market trends, yet you continue to hype this as type of abnormality or crisis. The Lexus GS has literally fallen of the sales charts for the same reasons, it's old. Is that a crisis or just a normal model progression over time?

Lexus sales more cars because they have a cheaper overall lineup. I don't know why this has been so hard to grasp on this board. Lexus' core cars are between 33-55K, and they are the ES, RX, GS, IS and GX. This same price spread will only get you a C-Class, CLK320, M-Class, SLK or E320 at a Mercedes-Benz store. It is so obvious that you haven't ever looked at 1) a MB sales chart or 2) the price configurator at the MB site. They have 25 models that start around 50K (E320 48K) and up, compared to 12 that are priced under 50K. The sales advantage will likely always be Lexus'.

That plus the fact that Lexus has the most efficient dealership setup in the industry (which is Lexus' competitor's problem, not Lexus') equals more sales. I've always stated the Lexus had the greatest dealership setup. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Jaguar have had some of the same dealers for 40 years and it is hard to get such and entrenched group (read stubborn) to change their ways. Mercedes actually lost about 80 dealerships in the late eighties and early nineties when sales hit an all time low of about 60K units in 1993. In Southern Cal there are way too many dealerships in some cases right on top of each other and for years they've all been able to sell enough cars to make each one of them viable. Same situation Florida. Huge markets. I bet Lexus has far fewer dealerships in these areas, but no doubt sells more cars though each one.

All this crisis talk based on sales is so ridiculously funny because in 1993 Mercedes sold a little over 61K cars and they had way more dealers then, but now they move over 200K a year. You Lexus guys missed the real crisis as far as sales are concerned!

Also..the new SLK will make a huge difference once it goes on sale. The SLK will be in the 40-50K range and is set to dominate the class until the next Porsche Boxster comes along, going by the press reviews so far. Of course the 190K (projected) CL and SL 65 models aren't going to sell more than a couple hundred units a year. These are prestige or halo cars only. The 450K SLR will also sell in the 200-300 unit range per year, hardly a spec on the sales chart. The CLS500 will add somewhere between 5-8K units a year. MB's biggest sellers are the C and E-Class (small and medium sedans just like BMW or Audi) followed by the ML, CLK, S and SL models in any given year.

Mercedes unlike all the rest also has a large group of cars at their top end to which no one else (except BMW in same cases) has an answer for. The MB sales picture will always be somwhat different.

M
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    No one ever stated that the LS wasn't a good car..people will still see that despite the styling. Plenty of unattractive cars sell very well, this is nothing new.

M
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Mercedes sales are down very slightly so far this year, I believe the number is about 2-3%. That is a very small decrease and just based on that number you can't say Mercedes is in "Trouble".

As Merc1 stated, C-class sales do not include CLK, CL. Besides the SLK(which is a niche product), Mercedes in also soon to introduce a new ML-class SUV, new G-class SUV, the R-class crossover/station wagon, the new CLS 4-door coupe, and a new S-class in 2 years. See they have new cars coming out in new segments.

The 100 less dealers part wasn't a question, it was merely a statement that no one should forget alongside the smaller product line that Lexus has and the lack of prestige in relation to Mercedes and BMW.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "Lexus sales more cars because they have a cheaper overall lineup. I don't know why this has been so hard to grasp on this board."

Do you know how illogical this sounds?

The ES330 is no cheaper than a C-class. In fact, the majority of C-class sales come from the cheaper C240 and then you factor in the cheaper C230K and C230 hatch and the average price of a ES330 is much more than the average price of a C-class sold. Same with the RX330. The RX330 MSRPs right up there with the ML350 and the ML350 after discounts probably sells for alot less, yet the RX330 crushes the entire ML lineup in sales.
    I understand your points and agree with them but I think the prestige factor is narrower than ever and lessening every year. I don't buy a car for prestige so I couldn't care less about it anyway. But by the time 2007 rolls around there will be one or two $100K Lexus cars and the $100K LS will probably hurt the S600 a bit but more so the high-end S500's. I think you will see some dynamic things with the worldwide launch. This is genearlly a conservative compamy except when it comes to something large. Then it morphs, becomes risky and makes a big splash ala 1990. This worldwide launch will be much bigger then 1989/90 with a lot of press, ads and razzle dazzle and I'm sure its well co-ordinated and planned with surprises. My dealership is adding a satellite dealership 20 miles away because from what they told me is there is a general planned dealership expansion program coming for 2006/7. So there is one for you right off the bat.

But in cars above say $55K I'm not sure the numbers are all that different and I'm estimating here so none of this is for certain. But here's my guess as rounded: LS- 30k, LX - 11k, SC 14K Total Lexus 55K; MB - S-class 22K, SL 14K, G-class 2K and E500 - 20K (guessing there is a 2:1 ratio on the E), Total MB 56K. So in outright comparative vehicle figures the numbers are relatively close. Now you have a whole bunch of niche MB's that I have'nt counted because I have no idea of those sales figs. But they are niche and can't be all that great.

The other thing to consider is Lexus introduced the GX and many of them are in the $50k range so right there is about a 35k volume seller at a desirable sale price that wasn't there 2 years ago and Lexus has moved up the average price of the RX and ES significantly in the last few years - not by raising prices but by outfitting them with more options. They did this very successfully with the LS in 2001 when they rolled the NAV/ML into a package that was practically irresistable. So in the mid 90's you had basically all premium LS cars at $56K whereas today you have few premium cars and most are optioned heavier and sell at $62-66K.they also moved up the price of the LX from $55-57K in the late 90's to generally $65-70K today. Unit sales were always around 12K so the GX hasn't even cannibalized the LX. Another big success story on both counts. I think the next LX is a $75k suv for the most part and $80k with the inevitable hybrid.

All of this is only relevant at the sales dollar level anyway. It's profit that drives everything and Lexus unit cost to build is far lower than that of MB. It's really something what they've done. In 1995 my LS400 had a $56K sticker and was simply a premium car. I didn't take the nakamichi and other goodies until 1998. That same car today is virtually unchanged in price, is built better than ever and gives you a lot more standard equipment - more air bags, a more powerful engine, better grade leather with all around seat heaters, skid control (vs outdated traction control back then) etc.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi Merc

I loved this respin:

No one ever stated that the LS wasn't a good car..people will still see that despite the styling. Plenty of unattractive cars sell very well, this is nothing new.

In fact everyone says the LS is a great car ... and whatever it is you don't like doesn't stand in the way of buyers buying it in 2x the numbers of the S

The right way to say the "Plenty of cars ... " is "Plenty of cars that are unattractive to me sell very well, so they must be appreciated by their buyers."

Right. Eye of the beholder(s), pocketbooks of the buyers.
    Merc.

It seems to me that since this is the High End Luxury car board we should stop trying to change the subject by talking about the full lineups of these major Luxury car builders and stick to the cars that fall into the luxury class..LS430, S class, 7 series, jag, rolls, Cady deville/seville ETC....

In this example of yours Price of fully loaded S to fully loaded LS would be the factor or Price of base S to Base LS...We could then go into features for each and perhaps have a more worthwhile discussion.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    The whole sales numbers discussion is surreal. If sales success is proof of superiority, then the Ford trucks are much better vehicles than any Mercedes or Lexus. Also, the sales figures provided here are in no way specific to the cars that are being discussed in here.

And these are big companies in a huge market, not any one of them is going to establish total dominance, and cyclical up and down effects are part of a mature market.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    I don't really agree. I think that if you are comparing 2 cars that are direct competitors, then sales numbers do tell you something. They tell you that the better-selling car comes closer (or is expected by buyers to come closer) to fulfilling the buyers' needs, in aggregate. (I use the words "in aggregate" because, obviously, different INDIVIDUALS have different needs/wants...the better-selling car is not "better" for every individual).
    are a function of the board title. If its marques - then that translates to brands to me and is collective of all vehicles of each lux brand. If its specific lux sedans than its the individual cars that should be discussed. This board is a consolidation of what were once two boards - a high end brand board and an individual flagship lux sedan board. Hence the board says one thing in title and another in purpose.
    Stick to Sales in Class...They do mean something...they mean in the high end Luxury class more people are willing to put their money on the LS then on anyother car in that CLass...

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to compare Ford pickups with Mercedes S class sedans.
    Today's WSJ had European car registrations (18 countres total) for Jan-Apr 2004:

toyota/lexus 275k units, +20.6% from prior year
    MB 245k -2.5%
    BMW Group 226k +6.6%
    BMW core 182k +5.5%
    Hyundai 103k +17.6%
    Daewoo 47k +41%

'Mercedes officials attribute the decline in sales...to the company's model cycle...Several analysts agreed the slippage was to be expected, though some expressed worry that the cancellation of Wolfgang Bernhard's appointment to the helm of Mercedes signals an unwillingness to recognize quality troubles. "They should open their hearts to the reality that there are problems and maybe only someone from outside Mercedes-Benz can see these problems," said Pia Hellbach, a fund manager with Union Investments in Frankfurt.'

link for subscribers http://online.wsj.com/search#SB108447764299010910
    the above are the only brands presented in the WSJ article, they sourced from the Brussels-based European Automobile Manufacturers Association
    their site is here:
    http://www.acea.be/ACEA/index.html

and the third page of this file has details for more brands: http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20040513PressRelease.pdf
    since the sales figures being quoted are generic mercedes vs lexus, and not S classs vs LS sales numbers, they do not say much. both cars are very successful by every benchmark in their market. that's all.
    Just to be clear, I didn't post the European data specifically in relation to posts 4958-59; it happened to be posted today because the WSJ article appeared today. I do think that data is interesting because the Asians collectively are taking share at a fairly healthy clip from the German brands in the European marketplace. The Lexus brand isn't broken out from Toyota but I do know that Lexus is fairly weak in Europe.

To continue the discussion in 4958, 4959, 4965, what I'll say is that for the US market, if you look at data from the company press releases or autosite.com, looking at Lexus and MB specifically, the ES outsells the C, the E outsells the GS, the LS outsells the S, and the RX outsells the M. My point of view is that for the US market, those respective models that are selling better than their counterparts are doing a better job of meeting (or at least promising to meet) their respective target audiences' needs.
    both cars are very successful by every benchmark in their market

Successful, YES. But we are talking TRENDS here. Toyota/Lexus sales are trending UP, while MB sales are going the other direction.... How can Toyota outsell MB in their own region ? That will be like MB outselling Toyota in Japan or the Asia/Pacific region... Can you see that happening anytime soon ???

How about what's happening at DCX lately ? Confusion on the Mitsu rescue (board says one thing, company does another !), confusion with stake in Hyundai (sold-off eventually), indecision with Bernhard's headship of the MB line (moved aside Bernhard from the top MB position), can't seem to sort out Chrysler and its money-losing crap-o-cars, slow to accept and address quality issues befalling hitherto rock-solid/bulletproof cars like the S-class (too many horror stories from owners). With such inept leadership by Schrempf, the board rewarded him with a long-term deal ! Just wonderful, don't you think ? The one thing Schrempf has in his resume is the purchase/merger with Chrysler, and that is a failing grade !! Maybe the board likes the direction he is taking the company ? No ? That is why I had cautioned about the Barron's Bank analogy. But of course, many people don't think this can happen to the likes of MB ! Okee dokiee....
    Again - the figures provided are for the entire lineup. They are not for S or LS, and thusly meaningless when it comes to the point you are trying to make.
    2003 Year to date sales:

S-class: 7,292
    7-series: 6,385
    LS: 6,155

2004 Year to date sales:

S-class: 5,778
    7-series: 5,528
    LS: 10,583

Granted, the S-class is near its model run, but that is still a huge negative change, and a corresponding huge positive change for the LS.
    MB's and BMW's dominance are in the E-class and the 5-series, where they obliterate everything else in their class in terms of sales.

However, their overwhelming lead may not be the case in a couple years, with a slew of redesigned vehicles in this class coming out within a year--A6, GS, M, RL, and STS.
    Those numbers seem quite low - they are lower than German market volumes alone, to witness from

http://www.kfz-auskunft.de

Mercedes S-Klasse 9865 11395 -13,4
    BMW 7er 7881 8610 -8,5
    Audi A8 6988 4361 60,2

The numbers being for this year, last year, and the change in %. Big winner in Germany has been the Audi A8, and also to a lesser degree the VW Phaeton, since that's the reason both Merc and BMW have lost some volume.

Lexus is nowhere in sight in the German market. Given the volumes quoted above, it seems that the S class still ships in more volume than the LS worldwide.

In any case, this says very little about the merits of the different cars. The Bentley Arnage sells less volume than any of these, and yet there's little doubt that it exemplifies the true meaning of luxury far more impressively.
    The numbers I quoted are just for the U.S. market. I am mainly interested in the U.S. market, not the worldwide market; there are just too many variables in the worldwide market to draw any meaningful conclusions anyway.

Sales numbers are not the end-all and be-all. But they do tell you something about the general trend and preferences within a defined market (in this case, the U.S. ultra luxury sedan market). I don't think they're worthless.

No one is saying that the LS is universally "better" because it sells more. That's up to the individual.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "The numbers I quoted are just for the U.S. market."

Except these cars are sold world-wide with the US being just one market.
    "Except these cars are sold world-wide with the US being just one market."

Yes, I am quite aware of that fact, without your need to remind me.

I was quoting the sales figures to illustrate trends in the U.S. market, and my take on it. I happen to live in the U.S., and I am more interested in how American buyers are perceiving these cars.

Whatever you want to interpret from them, then that is up to you.

If you're more interested in worldwide trends, then fine. No need to point out the obvious.
    "Yes, I am quite aware of that fact, without your need to remind me."

I'm not even sure the US market is the largest market, although it is the most conspicous compsumption market. So taking a look at world-wide figures is an interesting thing.
    I'm also interested in only the US position. I live here not in Europe or Asia. The Lexus brand is 14 years old and is going worldwide in 2 years. Lexus has never made Europe a strategy but that will change shortly. Lexus equivalent sales in Asia are made as Toyota so they can't even be had. Thus any comparisons in other markets is useless. If strength is what is sought look no further than the financials of these companies. But if you look at those numbers Toyota will scare the daylights out of you.
    These are global corporations. It's myopic to discuss their US business only, if there's genuine interest in discussing business. But seemingly there's an agenda there.
    By the way, it is not accurate to claim Lexus does not have a European presence. Lexus has been in Germany -for example- for many years. They are just not successful.
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    Why in the world are you hung up on German sales figure? They are nowhere near the largest automotive market in the world. North America is and will remain the largest market for the foreseeable future. Although China will probably surpass the US within 25 years. Lexus doesn't have to be successful in the German market to be a global leader. Germany is old Europe; a rotten, declining, economic and military power
    Except a number of interesting medical and technical/engineering innovations come from the Germans.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Someone posted sales figures in the United States because those were the numbers that were of interest to that particular poster.

And we've gone from that to an issue about German medical and technical engineering innovations?

While I'm sure that Germans have contributed greatly to the quality of our lives, I am just as sure that only the automotive aspects of that lifestyle enhancement are relevant here.

We need to keep our focus on the cars without turning this into a political discussion way beyond the scope of the Town Hall's purpose, you know?

Thanks.
    The point was that Lexus never made Europe or Germany an important focus not that it doesn't try to sell cars there. It throws a jab and that's it. Look at the difference with the US where a dealer network was easy to set up given Toyota's placement. Now they are having a lot more success with Toyota in Europe thus the Lexus follow-up with a truer strategy is around the corner - after the global launch. But andy71 is right - China is in Toyota/Lexus home territory and it's a much freer (you don't have to deal with european nationalism) as well as a more important market to win long-term. Say what you want about MB boss Jergen Schremp but he knew this. He was trying to be pre-emptive but has too many other problems on his hands and they didn't stay the course with him. I think for Daimler its a lose-lose situation. They had to right the MB quality issues, fix Chrysler and position themselves for China at the same time and can't seem to pull off any of those strategies - let alone all three. The pull back is probably a smart - and possibly the only - short term move they had. But long-term it will be seriously questioned.
    I provided German market numbers. They compare rather favorably to the US numbers provided here, thus it is silly to claim it is an insignificant market. Nor can I imagine Lexus would keep a dealer network there if they were not interested in winning. That is excuse making.

And again, the point I make is all this means nothing when it comes to the cars' merits. But the way the "business" discussion is carried seems somewhat peculiar.
    Ljflx opined this: But if you look at those numbers Toyota will scare the daylights out of you

In today's San Diego Union Tribune was an article titled: "Oh, What a Feeling". This article was about Toyota including their financials. For the fiscal year ending March 31, Toyota marked their second successive record year of profit, earning $10 Billion, representing a 55% YoY increase. That is after-tax earnings, folks ! And growth came from all markets - Europe, Asia and NAmerica. Is Toyota's financials not scary ??? Last year, Toyota became #2 worldwide auto company based on sales, and now controls 11% of the global auto market. Their goal is 15% by 2020, but that goal looks more likely to happen much earlier. Quoting the article: "So far, no one expects Toyota to stumble anytime soon." GM look-out !!! All one needs do is flip the coin and evaluate what's going on with Toyota's major competitors - Audi/VW, DCX/MB, Ford/Jag, BMW, etc.... Methinks these companies will be well served to take a leaf (or two) out of Toyota's branch and see how a successful auto company should be run. How many people believe MB will still be holding on to Chrysler in a few years from now ? Personally, I won't bet on it.... MB should cut its loss (as they did with Mitsu and Hyundai) from the *merger* and get back to basics of building worldclass cars/trucks built to a quality point not a price point, in order to be able to withstand the onslaught coming from Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus in the next few years.....

Just my humble opinion.....
    No one disputes that Toyota corporation is very successful. But I fail to see how that adds to the LS430 appeal. Plus if then is one thing one can safely predict is that eventually Toyota corporation will face a hickup again. And that will not make the LS430 a lesser can, either.
    "So taking a look at world-wide figures is an interesting thing."

I do agree with you; world-wide figures is an interesting thing. I'm just personally more interested in the US market.
    -----------------------------

About the German market, you gotta remember that that is MB, BMW, and Audi's home turf. This greatly contributes to the fact that Lexus doesn't do as well there. I'm sure the Celsior (LS430) handily outsells its German counterparts in Japan. The unique thing about the US market is that it is a "third-party" market and a huge market at the same time.

I'm not knocking the S-class at all. I think the current iteration is the most beautiful sedan of all time. The design of the current LS430, on the other hand, does nothing for me. It sure has a quality interior though.
    Good point, Oac , although Pablo would like you to believe that since Lexus can't compete in Germany they are not a world class auto manufacturer.
    Andy - I have never claimed the like, don't lie as blatantly.
    Pablo never said any such thing and in fact has argued that the merits of the cars are more important and interesting to discuss than the sales figures.

Pablo - personally I find you quite objective.
    Your posts are filled with so much contradiction it is hard how else to interpret it. In one post you claim that the number of Lexus sold in Germany is just as important as the number of Lexus sold in the US. You seem to ignore a critical fact that the North American market is bigger than Germany, France, UK, Italy, and Spain put together. In the very next line you claim that the number of car Lexus sells has nothing to do with its merits. And for your information Lexus LS greatly outsells the MB S class in East Asia where it is sold as the Toyota Celsior. Europe is not the place where the automotive market is growing, East Asia is. Maybe you can post your message more coherently before resorting to name calling
    I call it what it is, it is your responsibility to represent yourself intellectually capable and factually accurate, both areas where you are failing badly.
    Obviously we are not going to solve anything by posting vitriolic post and counterpost. It is time to end this. I guess there are more than one way of looking at things.
    I don't know what you are trying accomplish by posting the same message twice. Firstly, I neither have time nor the patience to search the internet on which car is selling well or poorly in any particular country. I guess you do. Then you keep saying how Lexus not selling well is Germany is such a big deal. The reason is pride and nationalism. For the very same reason Toyota Tundra will never outsell the Ford F150 in this country, or the Volkswagen Jetta will out sell the Toyota Corolla in Japan. I thought you were intelligent enough to see that. I go by the facts and figures that I read in magazines and newspapers which states that Daimler Chrysler is sinking like the Titanic while Toyota-Lexus is surging.