Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    An individual car or truck doesn't tell the tale in the marketplace, statistics taken from a significant population do, because being a relevant measure of many buyer's experiences they are a good predictor of likely ownership in general.

Every company builds cars that require service, but the frequency that buyers experience differs substantially from manufacturer to manufacturer and therein lies the tale.

Results continue to show that Toyota/Lexus and Honda simply build more cars percentage-wise that require less unscheduled service than others. Unfortuately for their buyers, VW builds more cars that have more problems than anyone except Range Rover.

Based on the statistics for VW, you've been more fortunate than others.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Diesel

I get 500 miles on a tank of gas...and my car doesn't pollute the environment. So not only am I in a safety nut car that doesn't break down but all the people that are around me are a little safer from harmfull fumes.
    Diesel:

Interesting insight into how BMW (and perhaps other german companies) treat their customers...

Luckly (I know hard for a BMW owner to understand)at Lexus There is little that happens to their cars since they are so well engineered and built..

There was even someone on this thread who said a relative who was a mechanic for Lexus quit to get a job with a German company because it was so boring just doing basic service at Lexus. Sort of like the Maytag repairman.
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    I don't recall a single BMW fan or MB fan on this board, or any of the related boards, denying the superior reliability of Lexus. So why do you keep telling us about it? I'd rather hear about gas filler placement.
    Dieselbreath:

There are probably people that have bought vw/audi that have never had a problem...BUT...When I buy a car I don't want to participate in some kind of lottery and have to HOPE I Get a good one.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Norton AKA Art Carney of Honeymooners fame. What exactly did I win?

Good to see Hamilton come back from the choke on 18 the first time.
    warthog:

OK....Gas filler...Back in the old days 50s and 60s they often did put them in the middle sometimes they would hide them behind the tail light. They don't do that any more and probably for a good reason.
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    Yes, I recall my parents' 1956 Imperial with the taillight filler cover. There was a little round light in the center that served as the button to spring the cover.

BTW, the button was 100% reliable.
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    I have a '98 Beetle TDI. In case you've been on another planet for a few years, ALL tail-pipe emissions are pollution now. [CO2, warming, tornadoes/hurricanes/pine-beetles....]
    So, the car that pollutes the least is the one that consumes the least fuel (in general terms), thus my car is the least polluting that you could buy in North America in 1998.

PS: "Öko-Trend", the European equivalent of the Sierra Club, recently gave their award for the most environmentally safe family car. And it went to ... the Toyota Prius? No. It went to the Passat TDI.

Its too bad so many people in North America are completely clueless on the realities of modern diesel power-plants (based on technology invented by Audi a decade ago and adopted by BMW, MB, ...)
    I'd have expected better from Edmunds readers.
    Yes, I totally agree with most of that.
    But the fact is Toyota built a reputation in the 1980's based on reliability compared to Detroit products, and everyone agrees that detroit's down-sized cars and first attempts at front-wheel drive were crap!
    But Toyota wasn't better than other Japanese makes.
    Nissan had a better engine (the L-series SOHC) than any gas engine from Toyota. Mazda's RX-7 ran circles around Supras in SCCA.
    When they released the twin-cam Corolla GTS it was with contracted cylinder heads because Toyota was the only major Japanese player that didn't have the technology to build twin-cam heads themselves.
    Almost ALL Japanese cars were better than almost ALL Detroit cars, but Toyota was the only one smart enough to take this imbalance on and claim it as their own.
    And they've flogged this horse for 2 decades now.

RE VW: The Germans build stronger cars that usually last longer, but these are marginal differences nowadays. ALL cars are good now. VW and MB rate as low on defects now as Toyota did just a few years back.
    Look at the charts from J.D.Power ... "its ALL good!"

But where the Europeans fall down is the electrical connections (& electronics). And it doesn't matter how great your engine or tranny is if the signals controlling it aren't correct.

This is the one area where they trail ALL the Japanese brands, (plus gadgets) and I can't figure out why they still haven't corrected this.
    (the wiring, not the gadgets)

This one little area puts them at a disadvantage to most of makers and they need to wake up and address it while they still have customers!
    so, now I can be hated by both the Japanese and German factions! :)
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Dieselbreath,
      Diesel emissions are still a concern. The new MB E320 Diesel will not be sold in Massachusetts, b/c it doesn't meet their air quality standards.
    Toyota also builds a pretty clean diesel, but they only sell it in Europe. I saw it demonstrated in England. Someone held a sheet of paper to the tailpipe and you couldn't see any dirt. Diesel sure has come a long way. BTW the LS430 is one of the few high end cars out there that is Ultra Low Emission (ULEV) and doesn't get hit by the gas guzzler tax.

Germans build stronger cars that last longer? Where are the facts to back this up? The latest JDP survey came out and MB and VW were at the bottom. I'd say 1.6 problems per Lexus vs over 3 for MB/VW is pretty substantial. There are legions of LS400 long term owners who would dispute this very notion.

I, however might agree with you that this trend may be changing. I'm not terribly enamored with my LS430 and question whether it will be as trouble free (long term) as its' predecessors. The car has too many gadgetry that will likely fail over a 10 yr period.

It's no mystery why Japanese excel in the electronics field. Commercially they dominate it..Most of the cutting edge tech is usually released in Japan first. While not the most innovative, the Japanese are experts at taking another's innovation and making it much better. (Just look at what Sony did to the US Television makers)
       As for Safety, I think Mercedes is the undisputed leader. I don't see other Euro nameplates that innovate as much as MB does in this segement. Lexus has a tendency to borrow whatever MB feature catches on in the marketplace. It's bad for prestige but sound Business strategy.

SV
    For those who think this is the bible of car quality, the European car avg. defect rate is lower in 2004 than the Japanese avg. was in 2003.
    They are that close!
    These cars are all good (except for VW's ignition coils ... I wonder what their rating would be without that disaster?)

And JDP picked a Dodge Stratus over the Toyota Celica???

Just goes to prove that Reliability statistics do not beget quality ratings! (or even long-term reliability ratings)
    (but quality is also subjective, so much harder to measure)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129

Topspin628... Ljflx was quick on the draw... better luck next time!

;-)
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Diesel cars....

If they are any good...How come so few people buy them?....At least in the most important Auto market on earth. THERE MUST BE A REASON
    The o4 stats are worthless for anything other then the delivery flaws.

Show any 3-5 yr. stats on reliability...If you dare.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    That's great. By the way the episode I was referring to was the one where he thinks he's going to Hollywood off of a local play performance - remember the string of "polarponies". It's Alice that they want of course. If you're really into the Honeymooners pick up the DVD of the 39 GREAT shows. They have some brief scenes that were edited out of the TV show reruns - for whatever reasons - and when you see the scenes put back in some of the shows come together better.
    For the VDS - which measures problems reported over three years.

Here's the link to the 2003 numbers at jdp's site:

http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2003050

While 2004 were at:

http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004055

I missed any references to JDP's ratings for European vs Japanese in 2003 and 2004, even though in 2003, they pointed out the DOMESTIC makers had 49 FEWER reported problems per vehicle than of the Europeans.

Can you share a link or two to the info about Europeans being in 2004 where the Japanese were in 2003?

Thanks
    RE: "Diesel cars....If they are any good...How come so few people buy them?."

This is the world's easiest question to answer: BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE HERE!
    Actually, the new ones are all around you, but you think they're gas-engined because there is no smoke or rattle.

VW has been the only one selling in the US and you don't hear about them because they sell every diesel car they make and don't need to advertise them. No discounts, no 0% interest, no rebates!
    But they were only in the smaller cars ... no Passat TDIs till recently.
    THE WAITING LIST FOR A PASSAT TDI WAGON IN CANADA IS OVER 10 MONTHS LONG.
    Show me another car where demand outstrips supply that badly!

But take a look at 3/4 ton pickups. Diesel is taking over there.
    Jeep is releasing the Liberty diesel.
    Benz has the E320CDI ... 0.1 second slower 0-60 but much less fuel than the gas E320, and resale is much higher.

The best LUX SUV is the VW Touareg with 5.0 liter V-10 TDI diesel.
    50% More torque than Dodge's "Hemi"
    Its 1200 pounds heavier than a Hemi Durango and 1 second faster on 0-60MPH! (so much for that urban myth about diesels being slow)
    It will outrun ALL SUVs except the Porsche TURBO (yes, that includes the V8 BMW X5 and the Porsche Cayenne S)

Personally I think a high-performance SUV is the stupidest form of transportation on the planet.
    But on the sensible end, Audi said they will be selling diesels in Canada this fall. Probably just the A-4. I don't know about US.

The Audi A8 in Europe comes with a 4.0 liter V-8 TDI engine that makes it one of the fastest luxury cars on the road, but still has decent mileage (for a car thats bigger and 6" wider than a Benz S-class).

US emissions rules are designed for gas engines. In areas where they apply the same rules to diesels you will not be able to legally buy a brand new diesel (but buyers have worked around this ... read the Passat TDI forum)
    Look at the chart in the 2004 Initial Quality Study.

here it is:
    http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037

its the first chart.

BTW: In England, their customer satisfaction survey puts Lexus at #1 (no surprise) and SKODA at #2 (!!??? Aren't they the VW division in the Czech Republic?)
    re: Clean Diesel
    The VW Passat diesel winning the awards in Europe has a particulate filter. I think the new ones here will have that too, but not sure.
    It will fill up by 200,000 kms (125,000 miles) and you'll replace it just like getting a new muffler.
    These will also pass the white paper test.

My VW TDI has a catalytic converter and is emissions legal in California. If you put a catalytic converter on an "old style" diesel you'd be lucky to get to the end of the block before it plugged up.
    The secret is the ultra-high pressure injection which atomizes the fuel better resulting in less un-burnt or partially burnt fuel.
    The latest VW technology has an injection pump for each cyclinder driven off cam lobes to generate higher pressures than any electric fuel pump can.
    The diesel noise was killed off by electronic injectors and a tiny pre-injection of fuel to avoid the "big bang".

RE Germans build stronger cars:
    Talk to any veteran police officers who regularly attend accidents including fatalities.
    One working in the Rocky Mountains told me "I'd rather be in a German car with a seat belt than in a Japanese apple-crate with an air-bag"

I'm sure he wasn't talking LS430 (this was mid-90's) but instead comparing civic/corolla/golf type vehicles. His personal vehicle was a Passat.
    But for a comparison, my VW Beetle weighs almost the same as a 4-cyl. Camry (of the same year) but the Camry is much longer and I think a bit wider. For an analogy, take a piece of macaroni and a piece of spaghetti made from the same pasta that weigh the same. Which is harder to break, the macaroni or the spaghetti?

The reason a Golf is hundreds of pounds more than a Civic or Corolla is that its made of thicker steel everywhere. And its also the newest ultra-high-strength. When cars collide, the steel around you is the only thing that can save your butt!

PS: a '98 Beetle is rated higher in side-impact safety than a Volvo S-40, Toyota Camry, Crown Vic, of Chevy Tahoe. Look it up on the safety institute's site (assuming they still have these stats)
    I wasn't surprised about it beating the baby Volvo or Camry, but I was about the big Ford and Chev. SUV!
    When my son inherits the Beetle TDI and my wife is happily driving her new Passat TDI wagon, I'll be looking for something less ... "minimalist" than the Beetle.

Cars of interest are:
    Used e-class diesel (practical but boring)
    Used A6-4.2
    New A6 S-Line.
    Any out-of-town driving will be in the Passat TDI, so this car doesn't have to be "practical" as it won't accumulate many miles.

Does anyone have any ownership experience with the S-Line?
    How bad of a mistake would this be?
    And how bad is the mileage in an A6 4.2?
    That's a great chart, I had missed it.

What it really shows is the rate of improvement for the Koreans has been terrific (57%) and Domestics have caught up with the Japanese brands with a 32% annual improvement. The Europeans continue to improve at a slower rate.

But not only have the Europeans come within a year of the Japanese and (now) Koreans, it looks like the domestics have too. I suspect some of this is because the real learning curve here in the U.S. is in the improvements in reducing defects in the components delivered from the domestic supply chain. Toyota, in particular, has been training them ever since they built the plant in Kentucky.

The three year VDS in 2007 will be interesting to see. Porsche went in the tank for the 2004 IQS.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Dieselbreath,
      Good post. I have a neighbor who swears by Diesel VW's. he's been driving one since the late 70's. I must say I'm impressed by his mid 90's Passat wagon. It's a nicely built machine. I only brought up the Toyota diesel to illustrate your point on how far along diesels have come. Diesel just never caught on here, but are widespread in Europe. I guess relatively cheap gasoline doesn't do much to encourage conservation..

I'd have to concede to your point about a VW being better built than some Corolla. Part of the Beetle's impressive results are due to the arch design. This was widely commercialized in their adverts some years back. I can only speak from experience with my LS400. A young girl ran her Civic into my 92 LS at 35-40 MPH (Side impact)..I heard a thump but the car didn't even appear to move.

An unrelated topic..Who do you think has the highest quality paint our there? I've noted my LS430's paint chips way too easily. The previous LS400's finish were more durable. This car is polished/wax 4X a year, so I'm abit surprised..
     Also of note..Looking at the 2003 and 2004 VDP charts, I noted a steep decline in Jaguar..In '03 they were above the average and then dip to well below it in 04..Any reason why?
    SV
    Dieselbreath

I think that thicker steel used to be the approach to safety design. Maybe that's the way VW still does it, but I think that much of the industry has moved on.

Back in the 1980's, computer simulation technology was pretty new, computers slow. A single simulation could take 1000's of hours of computer time.

Instead engineers desgined what they thought could do the job, prototypes were built and crashed and decisions made about what level of steel they needed.

Today, the simulation technology is 'same day'. It's allowed steel to be used very competitively against aluminum and platics.

Have you ever seen any DOT reports or 'fatality surveys' that indicate that Corollas, Civics, etc. have any more/less deaths or injuries?

I haven't. If there were fatality/injury reports that pointed a finger or smoking gun at Toyota's most succesful car ever, don't you know that the competition would be lighting fuses at every media outlet in the country.

So my conclusion is that the Golf may weigh more and possibly because the steel is thicker. It just doesn't matter when it comes to crashes.

What matters is whether the car has been designed to absorb the impact while allowing the high probability of occupant survival and minimal injury. That is done with a combination of right materials in the right structural shapes in the right places.

Absent any evidence to the contrary, it seems the Corolla and Civic are doing just as well safety wise as the Golf or Mercedes C-Class (which is smaller than the Corolla but weighs MUCH more).
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    1. Norton goes to Halloween party as Pierre Francoise Della Brioschi

2. On the wrong train to Racoon Convention:
    Norton: Hey Ralph, ya' mind if I smoke?
    Ralph: I don't care if you burn!!!
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    lbs. of steel does not equal safety. Just look at the muscle cars of the '70s, all steel, and 5,000lbs. plus. But those cars are death traps. I'll take an accident in my LS any day of the week over ANY VW product.
    Yes, the design is most important.
    As you probably know, the concept of crush zones and controlled energy absorption was invented and developed by Mercedes Benz back in the early 1950's, and it quickly spread from Germany to Swedish cars, but it took a longer time to reach Detroit and Japan. Decades ago I drove Datsun 510's that were death traps if I'd ever wiped out!

My impression on safety is that the Japanese makers tend to optimize their vehicles for max profits, which means just enough to pass mandated tests. In fact, with modern simulations you can optimize a car to pass the government test without it being very useful in other accident situations.

As an example: locally, in Richmond, a few months back a kid in a speeding Civic T-boned a crown-vic police car in an intersection.
    The police officer was killed, but the kid walked away with no injuries due to the great design for front impacts and the air bag.

Just after that, a woman spun her Honda on a small highway north of Vancouver and the car was struck near the rear by a truck. That Civic looked like a banner instead of a car. It was totally ripped open and stretched out to about 40' long ... like it was made of aluminum foil!

There was no way any living thing could have survived in it, and the woman was indeed killed. Her accident was at lower speeds than the kid hitting the police car!
    It was difficult to believe that it was the same make and model of car.

On the other hand, we all recall the crash where Lady Di was killed.
    Hitting concrete at 200 kmh it is absolutely amazing that anyone lived. My personal suspicion is that the only other vehicle that you could survive in at that speed besides a Benz e-class is a Benz S-class.

VW, Benz & BMW design cars to be overly safe from all types of accidents. They happen to be strong enough to meet gov't tests, but the gov't tests aren't the only design criteria. That's why they are heavier. Same with Volvos, but most of the safety features in a Volvo were designed in Germany. Same with Lexus. They have crush-zones, enhanded braking, ABS, skid-control, dual-mode air-bags, seat-belt pre-tensioners, ... all inventions of Mercedes Benz.

... about the steel though.
    Put another way, imagine all the fancy engineering applied to a Camry for structural integrity, and then management saying: "go ahead, make it 50% stronger!" But that would cost $ and cut into profits.
    Toyota is incredibly profitable and there's a reason. They aren't leaving any money on the table when it comes to component or production costs. German makers are commited to higher safety levels.
    The cars weigh more, and they cost more. (Passat vs. Camry/Accord or Golf versus Mazda 3/Corolla/Civic) I believe a Golf comes standard with safety features that aren't even avail. as options on some competitors.
    Wo! Get your facts straight.
    Just look at the muscle cars of the '70s, all steel, and 5,000lbs.
    Very few muscle cars tipped the scales as high as 3500 pounds, and those iron V8s and solid rear axles were a big portion of that!
    The ONLY car that I can think of from that era that exceeded 5000 pounds was the Cadillac Eldorado with a 475 cube engine and power-window motors the size of the starter in your Lexus!

My '66 Thunderbird Deluxe with 335 HP 390 ci big-block and C-6 tranny and 6 power windows, power seats, etc. weighed under 4400 pounds and it was a lead sled. A V8 Dodge Durango 4x4 is smaller and weighs the same amount.

My '65 Malibu SS with 350 HP 327, NHRA scatter-shield, M22 4-spd and 4.11 12-bolt positraction rear, plus dual 3" exhaust through Walker turbos barely weighed 3000 pounds.
    The average minivan today weighs MORE than the average muscle car back then.

I'll take an accident in my LS any day of the week over ANY VW product.
    You are obviously unfamiliar with VW's Phaeton. Possibly the only vehicle you can buy that may be safer than an S-Class in an accident!
    Plus the first vehicle with draft-free climate control (how long before Luxus copies that? or is it too expensive) and also 4-zone climate control.
    And with the diesel its probably faster than your LS too.
    Its the most powerful engine in a volume production vehicle according to the 10-best engines list, where it is engine of the year over 4 liters (again) with BMW in second place.

Would you rather be in your LS than one of those new Fed-Ex trucks called the Sprinter? That's another VW product (called the LT when VW puts their name on it) with a Benz 2.7 CDI engine and RWD. Built like a tank.

But of all Japanese vehicles I'd pick the LS or the Land Cruiser.
    diesel:

In one breath you say diesels are not available here and in the next breath you tell me they are all around me?...

Prius has had waiting lists as long as 10 months...In the US.

I don't hear about the VW diesel because they sell all of them...Sounds like they need to make more of them...Why don't they?

Finally you tell me The VW diesel will not pass US emissions standards

You seem all over the board with this message.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    How about the ridiculous price difference between the gas engines and the diesels? It would take a lifetime (exageration) to make up the price difference in mileage and/or fuel costs. Why bother? Smog comes out of the tailpipe whatever you burn. Life's too short! Enjoy it!
    Sorry, I don't have enough time for all the info you need.
    Please read the forums on Passat TDIs, the other diesel forums, Benz E-class, look at "Fred's TDI club" (try google), etc.

Why doesn't VW make more of them? They're making them as fast as they can. And the Passat's sell for more money in Germany than here, so why do they even bother shipping them over here?

VW made cars in the US in the early 80's then shut the plant down.
    It killed their reputation, and they concluded than American's can't build a quality car. Toyota and Honda have since proved them wrong, but Beetles come from Mexico (making them a "domestic") & Jettas come from Brazil I think. Passats come from Germany and the cars made in Germany are better than the ones made elsewhere (same with Toyota & Japan).
    How about the ridiculous price difference between the gas engines and the diesels?

What ridiculous price difference?

Go to your dealer, tell him to take your favourite model and add:
    - variable vane turbo-charger with electronic controls
    - air-to-air intercooler plus all the plumbing
    - and make it so I can put 20% more miles on it and still sell it for 30% more than the other gas ones
    - and by the way, add 50% better mileage, and faster acceleration at the same time.

For a VW these extras cost < US$1000-
    I know, I have one TDI in the driveway and one on order.
    Before the turbos and intercoolers the diesels were the same price.

What car costs so much more in a diesel than gas?
  • 300eguy05300eguy05 Member Posts: 39
    Princes Diana was killed in a Mercedes-Benz S280. The car was not an E-Class. I believe it was determined that if the Princess had been wearing her seatbelt she would be living today. The same with the other occupants that did not survive.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    "Today, the various cars in the class, 745, LS430, S-class, A8, STS are all on a converging path."

In many ways they are, but they're not the same either and a BMW still has the edge in roadholding and agility. My point about the 740i Sport back when was that it was on offer when Lexus no sporty derivatives of the LS400 back then. Either way you want to word or compare it the BMW has the edge in handling and road feel for those who want it, numbers don't always tell everything about a car's dynamics. In the end the 754i Sport will outhandle the LS430 Euro or whatever it is called. I don't consider the STS to be in this class. It is playing the sport role more than any one of these cars and it doesn't have the room of an A8L or S500 either.

M
    "My response to another poster addressed his statement that the 7 was better then the LS in every way, You response supported my list of
    examples in which the 7 was not better then the LS....Why are you spining your response now?"

Mike you're confused again it seems. Read the post slowly and you'll see where my point wasn't even about the cars themselves, but the things the people look for in these cars.......specifically how BMW and Lexus likes and dislike differ to the point of arguing about them is silly.

"I have never said Lexus is overtaking anyone in the area of style..I have said that in the days that Mercedes was acknowledged as the best car around it had little style but it was bullet proof or had that reputation....Now that Mercedes and it's defenders talk about it's style in fact placed Style over Function Mercedes has lost it's edge to a car LS that is NOT as stylish but is Bullet Proof."

Yes you did (do I have to find the post Mike) say just that and now you're trying to spin it. Just because Mercedes talks about style doesn't mean they don't mention other things, not hardly. Don't be upset because Mercedes can emphasize styling like every other expensive luxury car company can, except Lexus. Like I said before you tried to imply that MB's problems were because of their styling and that notion remains foolishly ridiculous.

M
    Wait a minute...just because some "marketing" shows the LS430 to be bought by older folk than say the A8 or 745i or even the S-Class, on average, such marketing is BS? How hypocritical is that? I bet when this same group says that LS430s have a very high buy-again rate it isn't bs then is it? Marketing folk, for example track loyalty rates and buyers ages in the same breath, so you can't seperate one "marketing" fact from another because you don't like one of them.

Lexusguy,

Yep I'd agree that the ML is a yawnbox, but so is the RX330, LX470, and every other SUV on the market, except the FX45, Cayenne S & Turbo, Touareg V8, and Range Rover. I simply can't stand the beast.

dieselbreath,

Good points about safety, but this isn't the board for them. Lexi won't grasp any of that unless you can point them to a JDP or CR graph. You can just about forget bringing up that simulated crash testing is only part of what MB and Volvo have been doing before anyone else, including the government. Forget that Volvo and Mercedes recover a percentage of their cars right after a serious crash to see how their real world safety can be improved. None of this will matter here.

Thicker sheetmetal was so evident here a few years ago after a hellacious hail storm. Of all the cars in the lots only the Volvos, Mercedes and VW/Audis weren't damaged. Everything else including BMWs had all types of little pock marks and what not.

M
    For the record post #5792, you stated that style was one of those things MB was yielding to Lexus.

"Now the torch (the public perception of quality and style and prestige) is passing from Mercedes to Lexus...

Ain't no torch being passed in styling Mike. Period.

M
    Reading back through the last 100 or so posts to make sure I didn't miss anything to respond to I'm finding that you're using all the wrong points to argue with Lexi folk from a BMW point of view. Financials? Forget it. Even I'm in awe of what the mighty Yoda is earning. I read a post where designman tried to point in the right direction. His points were correct, imo. You have to use a different set of criteria to hush up the Lexi crowd. It almost pains me to have to tell you (admit) this. You're going to have use things they can't run to JDP and CR or the WSJ to disprove and/or areas that generally go over their heads because Lexis does not compete or does poorly in. With Mercedes-Benz, styling is one unarguable point with Lexi, but with BMW I can't bring myself to say (past the 3-Series) BMW has much of an advantage.

M
    I appreciate your long post. I still don't think you are thinking fully about what is happening.

Saying that the Japanese are making cars to 'just pass' the tests is a good debating point but it doesn't have any substance in a discussion since you can't establish if it's true. It's just an opinion. It's just like someone saying, Mercedes and BMW cars are heavier because they are rear wheel drive and pay a weight penalty for the drivetrain components.

What's interesting about your points regarding accidents is that they show that different accidents, different situations, produce different outcomes on an individual basis. One Honda, passenger walks away, another, dead.

If you go to the NHTSB web site there are many reports regarding vehicle safety.

I found the one that showed that car fatalities and injuries have fallen substantially over the decade 1990 - 2000, while light truck, pickup truck and SUV fatalities and injuries all rose.

Cars built like tanks back in the 1960's, 70's and 80's had a much higher fatality and injury rate than those today.

Cars being built today are much safer by design.

There's no evidence that 'German cars' are any safer than any other car that I could find.

If Mercedes or BMW or Volvo could say "...our cars really are safer. Last year when our vehicles were involved in accidents, people were injured or killed at a much lower rate than Cadiallac or Lincoln or Lexus ..." they would say it in a blink.

But they don't, because I believe your chances of survival or injury are vehicle manufacturer independent.

The thickness of the steel doesn't matter (if it really is different). How it's pressed, shaped, welded, glued, stamped, etc. does matter. The NHTSB calculated that improvements in car saftey resulted in 29,000+ fewer fatalities in 1999. Since the German cars are a very small % of the car sales in the U.S. the improvement in fatality rates is coming from domestic and Japanese manufacturers general improvement in safety built into their cars.

Regards

p.s. IMHO yawn inducing, gross generalizations like "VW, Benz & BMW design cars to be overly safe from all types of accidents" really need a big IMHO in front of them.

p.p.s What the heck is "overly safe"?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    merc1,

I wouldn't talk about using this and that and this for "Lexi folk". All you do is use your enthusiast slant of everything and the only reason you don't use JDP or CR is because, frankly, they are never on Benz's side. If they were, you would be using them as references left and right!

And just to let you in on a little secret, you really can't hush up the Lexi crowd, just like nobody can hush up the "Mercedes crowd" or the "BMW crowd" and their infinite enthusiast slant to everything or the "japanese are brainwashing you" crud.
    www.thecarconnection.com

has pretty good pics of the upcoming BMW 3-series. Looks like BMW didn't let Bangle Bangleup the 3-series as much as the he has bangled the 5-series or 7-series. That's good news!!!
    Merc:

Yes you would have to find the post in which I said Lexus was overtaking someone in the area of style....I will be interested in seeing if you can.
    Merc:

I said that mercedes is now putting an emphesis on styling, something that they did not do in their hayday when they concentrated on Engineering and innovation....and ...Quality.

They have shifted their Advertising to Style, rather then function, something that they did not do in their hayday when they built their reputation.

Lexus learned from the earily Benz how to be successful, it has concentrated on building a reputation based on quality, and function and are now winning the race....
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Your comment about the hail storm in Chicago, where "...only the Volvos, Mercedes and VW/Audis weren't damaged..." is a complete generalization. I remember the hail storm last year because my car was outside when it happened (I was at my cousin's house for a BBQ). I have a 2002 ES 300. My car did not have one single mark from the storm. My other cousin's 2003 E-Class did get dings. I don't think Mercedes steel is any better, not after what I saw.

Also, my friend in Dallas last year bought a brand-new Volvo wagon for $12,000 off because it sustained hail damage. So, Volvo is not immune either.
    Merc:

Here is my full post: The word style in this context was related to fashionable not the styling of the machine...Sorry about the confusion...My bad. You will also note I said the torch is passing..It will still take a few years for Lexus to fully gain the reputation that Mercedes once had ...but as surly as day follows night it is happening.

Merc:

Good Post..If I read it right you are pointing out how Rolls survived on it's reputation for quality for 20 years or more then the torch was passed to Mercedes who had actually had built better quality cars for years and it just took the public years to catch up...

Now the torch (the public perception of quality and style and prestige) is passing from Mercedes to Lexus...
    I agree with your assessment. Mercedes definately used to have thicker metal, but I noticed when the 1996 E-class came out the body panel sheet metal got thinner over the 1995 E-class. I think it's obvious why the exterior steel has gotten thinner in recent years. First is expense-this is one are where they can cut substantial bucks without sacrificing safety and without the customer really noticing the cutback. Second, with cars becoming ever safer with structural improvements and safety gear, it really isn't necessary to have as thick steel panels as it used to be. Third, automakers have to shave off pounds wherever they can to improve gas mileage. And with weight being added elsewhere because of all the useless gadgets this has to be done.

I know the "germans can do no wrong" crowd will go off and twist and turn the post around to say what they want it to say, but buy saying that Mercedes has thinned out the metal in no way means it's as thin as a Hyundai's panel or the E-class is not solid.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    In last week's Automotive News there was an article about Subaru going upmarket. The bosses in Japan are "demanding" the brand be the equal of Audi and near BMW in brand prestige in the U.S. within five years. To help the effort there will be upgraded showrooms and all-new styling that will debut on a new 7-passenger SUV next year.

The "dramtic" styling will appear on all future models and is being done by Subaru's new chief designer, who has worked at Alfa Romeo, BMW, Fiat and Pininfarina. The SUV will cost more than the Outback, which starts at about $34,000.

It will be interesting to see how Subaru fares.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Don't understand your post. I never said anything about age. I said there is no such thing as an athletic demo and there isn't - at least not one that any marketer or info company would use. If a demo is not independently accepted and in the mainstream no one believes it and it is useless aa a marketing tool. Demos are tied all the way down to block levels at times and the only ones that are buildable upon for marketing tools are wealth based or spending power ones cross tied to age. There is also a lifestage variant of age which is tied to whether you have children, how many and what age classifications they fit into. Consumer package goods companies and auto manufactures are very interested in lifestage for obvious reasons. There used to be others that tried to develop various offshoots but they never came into play including one that will tell you about illnesses by zipcode. The only ones who care about the latter are local hospitals hence it never got off the ground. It's pretty easy to define what a male between 25-34 making $X per year is and to prove the data. It comes from census data and census updates cross verified with other databases including credit checks. How would anyone define athletic and how would you prove such a subjective thing? You can't, thus it doesn't exist.

designman - went back and read your post 5992 where you ranted about auto sales. Now you should have said to yourself - before you posted - "pins and needles, needles and pins, a happy man is a man who grins". Then you would have felt much calmer. But make sure you keep paying the bills.
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Member Posts: 120
    Kudos to BMW for having the courage to evolve in more than performance and technology but also style. All these anti-BMW people will look at everything as a fault. Which explains these contentions that any other make could possibly drive as well or, as ridiculous as it may be, better than the ultimate driving machine.

The 5 for instance has a much more muscular active look than the previous subdued conservative look. The tall doors and sloped front end give the car a look of movement and power. The bended surfaces divert from the boring "cut out of a cylinder" appearance and lets the light offer a natural variety of shadow play that is elegant and always active.

Many of the same points would be true of the Z4 in a more flamboyant sense without looking awkward like the boxster or SC.