Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Impala Audio

Comments

• Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The RDS Radio display doesn't have the common "ST" indicator.
  • Options
    jojo28jojo28 Member Posts: 11
    I again recommend to all who are serious about solving their poor radio sound ( poor bass and poor receiption) to go back to their dealers showroom and ask them to let you hear the sound in one of their new impala cars that is equipped with AM/FM cassette 6-speaker system and NO amplifier. You will be amazed at the sound!!!! It has very prounced bass and presence of sound coming from the front speakers. This is the standard base radio for the impala LS. It does't have a CD. Nor an amplifier. At this point have the salesman to compare the sound in your car. My salesman was amazed!! And was not aware of the difference. --- Now go to the service department and show them the same. Tell them they have a problem in the radio system that has an amplifier and that you want your system "Checked Out". At this point you can procede to complain with an official inspection request to check your sound system.
    I have done all this and now I am at the point where I am requesting the "Area Rep. (Chevrolet Motor Division)" to give assistance.
    Again press your complaint with the service department- then keep going higher.
  • Options
    cookie00cookie00 Member Posts: 29
    I have had personal e-mail contact with the Chevy Brand Manager for Impala. I have sent him my comments and questions about the radio, and directed him to this site. I sure hope he reads what's on here. As soon as I get some answers from him, I'll post them here so you can read what he had to say.

So far, I had only introduced myself and asked him if he was, in fact, the person I was looking for. He said he was. Now let's see what he has to say about the radio, and such.
  • Options
    Can you share with us the E-Mail address for Don Parkinson, brand manager for the Chevy Impala??

If different owners send him the same complaints for the sound quality of the upgrade RDS stereo system, he might do something about the situation and mediate to find a workable solutions. Remember that product managers can excercise a lot of "influence" in the products that they have under their belts. Since the Impala is selling well, I am sure Mr. Parkinson wouldn't want unhappy Impala RDS Radio owners to voice their complaints here in the Internet. In marketing, this just makes plain sense.
  • Options
    Of course I thought of that. But the Edmunds host for this topic was not too keen on my listing a personal e-mail address for this person. I can see their point. This forum is accessable to a huge amount of owners and could cause quite a flood of e-mail to what might be Don's personal e-mail account.

I asked him to please visit this site. I also asked him if he'd mind if I passed his address on to others. We'll see what he says. He actually wasn't that hard to find, a little Web searching and I scored!

I'd give him a chance to visit us first. If he doesn't I'll have you that are interested in e-mailing him send me your e-mail addresses and I'll pass it along privately.
    You, Teo, would be great to talk with this guy. I bet he'd be happy to hear from you. You seem like such a fan!

Cookie.
  • Options
    jreimannjreimann Member Posts: 11
    Don't quote me on this but I think I've found some replacement speakers that should work for the front speakers. Check this out. And by the way this is a great site for buying auto audio stuff. My brother just installed 2 pairs of speakers and a stereo he got here and they included everthing he needed to install it right out of the box..

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/EN/Product/PIONEER TS A1795
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    On behalf of the disgruntled among us, thank you. Maybe you can charm Mr.Parkinson into addressing our complaints. The "upgraded" radio-amp-speaker combo is my only real gripe with the car.
  • Options
    A brief reply from ol' Don today. He's sorry to hear of my displeasure, it's really a very good radio he says.

He's turned me over to a fellow named Les, hopefully Les is more...?

Whatever (trying to be funny). Also, he didn't reply to my invite to visit us all here. I hope he does. For many reasons. One, to see what issues we might have with the radio/amplifier/speakers etc. and Two, to read the raves we have about the car in general.

Now if only gas would get back to a normal price (like under a buck fifty) life would be perfect.
  • Options
    jojo28 RE: post#58

In light of the brush off that Impala brand manager Parkinson gave cookie00, I have to concede that YOUR idea might have more merit than ever. However, going back to MY dealer is a hassle - it will take a couple hours and I'm not optimistic about an outcome. They haven't kept even one of the two simple promises they made before the sale. They promised to get me a front license plate bracket and to exchange the spoiler lid on my LS for one without when another silver Impala came in. That was over 5 weeks ago.

I'm not naive - I have little trust of car salespeople and held little hope that either would happen. Problem was the trans on my other car was shot and I NEEDED a car. The only car people who seem halfway credible are at Saturn and Toyota.

NOTE: Last night I bought a pair of 6-1/2" Kenwood speakers for the front doors (1677, $70).
    Although they sounded great in the store, they have less volume in the Chevy and they don't fit!!! It seems the unique (NON STANDARD)plastic speaker frame on the inside of the door does NOT line up with the holes in the edge of the replacement speaker. The headache continues.
  • Options
    ....any news from our friend Mr. Parkinson?
  • Options
    He passed my question/comments on to Les, who is a designer I'm told. I have not heard from Les.
    In the meantime, I try to stick to the CDs, which I've discovered sound better with the window or moonroof open.
    What's up with that?
  • Options
    sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    I also play my CD's most of the time I'm in the car and they sound pretty good. I sometimes have to turn the base DOWN on some CD's.
  • Options
    kevinrumkevinrum Member Posts: 3
    I have a Monte SS in the same situation. I have the 'premium' sound system with 8 (by Chevy math) speakers and the external amplifer in the trunk. The bass response is bad and the system is lacking in general sound, but the bass is the worst in my opinion. I ordered the service manual for the Monte/Impala and last weekend decided to changeout the rear speakers as I could tell from the trunk that they looked really cheap.

Unfortunetly you can't remove the speakers from the trunk but have to take out the rear shelf which can't be removed without removing the entire rear seat, but it really isn't that bad. I replaced the cheaply made factory rear speakers with some $130 4-way Pioneer 6x9's from Best Buy and it made a world of difference.

I may replace the front ones some time as well as maybe the amplifer in the future, the service manual gives the pinout for all the connections to the amplifer.

I just can't image that Chevy will actually do something about the systems they have already shipped, but maybe they will.
  • Options
    The other night I was playing some Jazz (Spyro Gyra, David Benoit, Astrud Gilberto, Poncho Sanchez) and Rock (Matchbox 20) CD's and I was surprised at the crystal clear sound coming out of the system!. The mid-range and bass response is light years away (But still not perfect) of the sound quality on FM radio mode. The Poncho Sanchez CD (Latin Jazz)sounded excellent....great deep bass. I hadn't pay much attention to the CD player, but the sound is definetely much, much better. I haven't even tried the Tape deck since I bought the car, just becuase I don't like to carry tapes inside the console (Warping due to heat damage)and with CD's I get the best of everything. But this weekend I'll pull my old tapes collection and for sure will give it a try.

The problem is still the poor FM stereo radio reception. The speakers by not means are the best sounding, but by judging the good sound quality from my CD's the problem might be worsened by the "back glass" antenna.

Well, I am not giving up on GM just yet!

Cookie: Thanks for your update...don't want to bug you so much! :)
  • Options
    kevinrum

Since you've already done a successful speaker transplant with the 6x9s in the rear and you have the repair manual, could you please tell us what fits up front. We know from your experience that GM's response to teo quoted in post #51 was wrong where they said the rear was 7x10 and the front was 7".

I bought a pair of 6-1/2" Kenwoods for the front that won't fit. Holes don't line up.
    Without an adaptor plate or some other juryrig,
    I am at a loss as to what to replace the front speakers with in terms of size. Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • Options
    luckyjdrluckyjdr Member Posts: 10
    I WAS LOOKING A SUMMIT RACING CATALOG AND THEY SELL SPEAKERS. THEY LIST A '6.5" GM REPLACEMENT SPEAKER'. MAYBE THEY FIT THE HOLES. CHECK IT OUT.
    ALSO I GOT WHEEL LOCKS FOR MY LS THROUGH SUMMIT RACING FOR $16.95. THEY ARE MC GARDS, PART # MCG-24012. THEY ARE CHEAP INSURANCE. ALL MY CARS HAVE THEM. THESE ARE DESIGNED TO FIT UNDER THE CENTER CAP.
  • Options
    kevinrumkevinrum Member Posts: 3
    duraflex...

Well the manual doesn't say what the size is, it just tells you how to get them out. I didn't know exactly what size the rear ones were until I got them out and measured them and carried one to Best Buy to match up.

The manual does illustrate what someone else said in that there is a 'big' speaker and little one hanging off the side all part of the same package and it is held in with 4 screws. The book says 'remove the front door trim panel' first, although someone said you could just take the grill off, don't know haven't messed with them yet.

As for someone saying they were 7x10 I thought maybe that was metric or something since the answer was from Canada. :-) Anyways, the 6"x9" speakers fit just fine.

In case you take them out the book says to tighten the screws to 2Nm (18 lb in)... :-)
  • Options
    No further messages from Don or his buddy Les as of Friday night... sigh.. Management....
  • Options
    bob1951bob1951 Member Posts: 7
    I've read about a couple of things people complain about with the upgraded radio/cd/cassette. The "not enough bass" issue is not a biggie for me. I don't need a boom box in the car. The radio reception, however, drives me crazy! The flickering in and out of a station (almost any station) is very annoying. People think it's the window antenna and I tend to agree. Has anyone actually replaced the window antenna with an old stick antenna? Does it help? Are there different qualities in antennas? Any advice would be appreciated. Also about how much does this cost?
  • Options
    Thanks for front speaker info
  • Options
    DATE: April 1, 2000
    TO: Impala RDS radio/CD/cassette owners

We have read your complaints about your poor radio reception, your shrill front speakers, your lack of bass and your general dissatisfaction with the sound systems in your new Impalas.

We feel your pain. Really we do.

But we ask you - what did you expect in a $25,000 car - quality? Just kidding.

Well rest easy all. Many solutions are under consideration -
    replacement speakers,
    replacement amplifiers,
    replacement rear window glass
    (distortion-free this time) with a diversity antenna built in to solve those annoying FM signal dropouts.

Time will tell whether we actually do anything. It really depends on how many complaints we get. Since we've only heard from a half dozen of you, who knows if we'll fix it or let it slide?

In the meantime, enjoy your sound systems as much as you can. And do continue to struggle to find your own individual solutions - listening only to CDs, riding with the windows and/or sunroof open, putting a subwoofer in the trunk, replacing the 6x9 speakers in the rear or replacing those irregular front speakers we threw in just to make it a challenge.

Your efforts will save us the trouble.

At least your cars run well. Enjoy your weekends everyone. April Fool's. This is a j-o-k-e.
  • Options
    ftnss1ftnss1 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased my LS yesterday, well aware of the radio "problem", thanks to all of you. More important to me was the overall quality of the car (and favorable comments from owners here). Regarding the radio, I agree that the bass is weak, with the rear speakers apparently the major culprit (I may try replacing them), but I haven't tried CD yet. Also, I've had no radio reception problems so far. Overall, it seems the sound is extremely clear and sharp, just lacking in deep bass. I'll let you know what else I find (or try). Otherwise, I love the car, its features, ergonomics, etc.! And I'm coming from a Volvo that cost $10K more.
  • Options
    mattlcmattlc Member Posts: 13
    My reception seems to be fine. I went to the airport tunnel in Boston (callahan Tunnel) the other day and my reception wasn't even disrupted. Tjis was very surprising since my last few cars did experience disruption. I guess I am not experiencing the poor reception that you guys are.

Has anyone replaced the amplifier yet? I am seriously considering this move and want to know if it cured the bass problem and want the installation details.
  • Options
    drobb1drobb1 Member Posts: 2
    Just an update. I filed a formal complaint through Chevy's website early last week with NO reply to date.

My complaint specifically addressed the extremely poor radio reception and sound quality of the upgraded system. I also took the opportunity to critique the lack of service response at my dealership.
  • Options
    Can you share the Chevy's website address with us.
  • Options
    The address is:

www.chevrolet.com

I did thesame....and...no response so far. Still worth the try.
  • Options
    I just complained on the Chevy site. I won't be holding my breath for a response.
  • Options
    Someone has already been contacted by GM Canada...for the owners that have directly complained to them maybe we can expect a phone call....let's wait and see.
  • Options
    On Saturday, I took the time to go to a Chevy dealership and listen to a "lesser" Impala radio with the "6 SPEAKER SYSTEM" rather than "8 SPEAKER SYSTEM" that many of us have.

It was better ! Not great, but better.
    I listened briefly to a couple of FM stations and the sound was more natural, less shrill. I can't say the bass was any stronger (on FM) but the sound was cleaner. I liked it.

If mine sounded that good, I'd be happy with it.
    That would leave only the poor reception issue to be resolved.

I'm considering suggesting to GM or my dealer
    that they replace my "PREMIUM SPEAKERS" with the lesser ones.
  • Options
    What happens if the amplifier is disconnected? Can the stereo bypass it? Aside from the additional "Tweeters" I don't think the main speakers are all that different.
  • Options
    The amplifier cannot just be disconnected and bypassed. The speaker wires are leading out from it. If you disconnected it, you would then need to connect the speaker wires directly into the radio (not a small job for an experiment).
  • Options
    It's nice they answered your complaint. But I'm guessing your radio/antenna would have to be not working "at all" for a change covered under warranty.

I think the antenna is powerless, or at least weak, which would not be a warranty issue.

I've GOT IT!! We could all just sing to ourselves. Or, if you like talk radio... bring your mother-in-law along for a ride, that should keep the conversation lively!
  • Options
    duraflex--When you checked the lesser radio system to compare the bass did you set the radio in manual and set the bass to MAX>--the doors would rattle on the lesser system.
  • Options
    I still have not heard from GM on the radio issue. Either they're researching our complaints or ignoring them. Flip a coin.

I popped in a best of Beach Boys CD that I knew very well. Those vocal harmonies and background instrumentals just did not sound right in the car. It was unnatural, lacking dynamic and frequency range, without depth or richness. Just blah and ugh - nothing I wanted to listen to.

It was really bothering me (maybe the rest of you have just given up on it). And yes I have a life, but the radio in my car has always been a sanctum for me and when it stinks out loud, that sanctum is gone. I'm ticked and there's no easy solution since that RDS radio is essential to many aspects of the car. You owners know why.

I had an idea to try an experiment. In our home, we have a very good stereo system - not audiophile quality but good consumer components. Some of the stuff is over 20 years old and still sounds great. Anyway, I took my Beach Boys CD and copied portions to audiocassette.
    I transferred segments of various songs through the audio equalizer and then to tape - Maxell II.
    I used the Dolby B record setting on the tape recorder. Using my EQ, I boosted the bass portions below 160Hz and boosted the highs above 6000Hz. As I recorded song segments, I alternately hit the EQ bypass switch to alter the recorded sound from EQ'd to non-EQ'd.

I then played the tape in the car with Dolby NR ON. Treble all the way down; Bass all the way up. The EQ'd segments sounded good - lots of hi fidelity - full and decent sound. The non EQ segments were dull and lifeless - just like playing the same CD in the car's own CD player.

What does that tell me? - It would appear that the car amp (in the trunk) lacks frequency range meaning it doesn't adequately play the low notes and the high notes very well on its own UNLESS the LOWS and HIGHS are artifically boosted on the source material- ie: audiotape in this experiment.

BOTTOM LINE:
    IF this hypothesis is true - it points to the main problem being the AMP in the trunk. Something about it is lacking. Maybe it's under powered. Some external amps have treble, mid and bass adjusts on them or in them. Don't see any and I'm not about to open it up. Maybe somebody out there with more tech expertise than me can interpret my experiment and either confirm this notion or refute it.
  • Options
    Dura, I agree with you. The other day when I popped in my "Poncho Sanchez" CD, the sound quality was like the difference between heaven and earth...just perfect. That CD has much in common to your "Artificially" boosted audio source material. The bass was very rich, the stereo imaging was concert hall quality and the mid range response was crisp and clear.

After witnessing these "Dramatic" changes in sound quality performance, I have come to my own conclusions:

1) The RDS Radio Unit has nothing to do with the generally poor performance of the system. On the contrary, I think the RDS Radio is well engineered and should be no different from other fine radios designed by Delco. The "Basic" RDS Radio/Tape unit (And 6-speakers) offered on base Impalas is essentially the same Radio we have in the Impala LS. Only difference is the CD Player.

2) Speakers: They are certainly not the best units around, but they are capable of delivering decent sound quality. In my opinion, they are not the source of the problem...but they are not 100% out of the woods yet.

3)Amp: This little guy seems to be the culprit of the stereo system. I have no doubt in my mind that the amp is either underpowered or it just doesn't work. Does anyone has the output ratings for this amp?

4)Back Glass Antenna: Another sore aspect of the stereo in the car. Bad reception = Bad sound reproduction. Last night, coming back from a meeting, the reception in both AM/FM bands was the sharpest ever since I bought the car. Zero hiss, interference, noises, echoes, etc. Radio sounded great in almost every station. But that was last night. This morning back to "normal" We had a "cool" (Low 70's) and clear night here...could that be it?

So in the end this is what I envision:

* Owners will have to upgrade the amp at own expense. (Including speakers).

* GM, if it ever responds, will provide a fix for the antenna.

I am planning to visit a good Car Stereo shop here in town during the weekend. I'll try to explore the possibility of replacing the AMP with a more powerful unit. I won't even bother with the speakers for the time being.

Dura, same as you, a good sounding car stereo is a must for me. Thanks for the time you invest in those "experiments"...the results, I think, seem to be very conclusive.
  • Options
    Yes - reception is very dependent on atmospheric conditions.

The simplest example is when thunder storms cause audible static in radio broadcasts. Activity on the sun (like sun spots) effect radio and TV on Earth! When our side of the world rotates daily away from the sun (at night) the sun's effects on the atmosphere are no longer an issue - that is until we rotate into the sun's light the next morning. Night time reception is usually better.

Radio always travels much further at night.
    In fact, by law, some small stations in this country are licensed by the FCC to operate dawn to dusk ONLY. This is because they are geographically located too close to other stations
    on the same frequency (number)on the dial. In the daytime - not a problem. But at night with the signals traveling as much as 10 times the distance, their signals would overlap. Therefore, some stations, actually have to sign off before sunset. Other stations actually have to reduce their transmitter power at night for the same reason. (We have a "clear channel" powerhouse
    AM station in Philly that reaches 35 states at night! It's 1210AM, WPHT (formerly WCAU).

Always appreciate your thoughts Teo. Although I find this forum a release, I wish these radio problems would get solved very soon. Nobody buys a new car expecting to encounter problems with a radio. This is real basic stuff. I've never had a worse sounding radio in any car I owned - even the AM only radio in my first car in the late 60s. This really is absurd.
  • Options
    this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    What is the address for GM-US and GM-Canada, so I may also file a complaint.

duraflex, if you don't mind, please send me your E-Mail address. I have a question for you.
  • Options
    You have nothing to lose and a fair complaint to be made about these radio sound systems.

For those who have not yet contacted GM:

The web address is:

www.chevrolet.com

Click on "CONTACT US" at top of screen
    Click on "CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE" along left edge in next screen
    Click on "E-mail us..." within text.
    Fill in the blanks and spell out your complaint

The 800# is there too if you'd rather call.

Be polite but firm in your dissatisfaction.
    Flying off the handle will not win friends and influence people.
  • Options
    I know that these messages are getting quite long, but the more info the better. Below is the message I left on the Chevy site and then the response I received today. In their response, please notice that they listed my vehicle type as a Malibu even thought the first sentence I wrote clearly states it is an Impala LS...

Inquired Vehicle: Malibu

Comments:
    I purchase a 2000 Chevy Impala LS at the
    end of last summer. Since then I have
    been very disappointed with the sound-
    system provided with the vehicle.

The biggest problem is the bass response
    from the radio. My feeling is that the
    amplifier in the trunk is lacking in
    quality. I have heard from Impala
    owners who don't have this amplifier that
    they are happy with the system. Why is my
    "premium" sound system not performing as
    well?

Please reply to this concern. I have
    heard from many internet chatters that
    your reponse to these types of inquiries
    is below poor. Please make your customers
    feel that they have made the right choice
    of buying Chevy products by responding to
    concerns. Your name is being quite
    tarnished on the internet and I foresee
    your repeat-purchase rates diminishing due
    to this.

Sincerely..............................

Thank you for your Internet communication. We apologize for any dissatisfaction you have with the sound system in your 2000 Impala. If you feel that there is something mechanically wrong, please
    see your Chevrolet Dealership so that they may test the factory equipment. However, comments from
    current and prospective owners, keep us aware of customer expectations. We have forwarded your
    comments to Chevrolet Brand Management for their review. If you have a any further questions,
    please feel free to E-mail us again.

Sincerely,
    Vicki Kazerooni, CRM
    Internet Response Center
    Chevrolet Motor Division
  • Options
    audioguyaudioguy Member Posts: 1
    The amplifier used in this vehicle is rated to 25W/ch. Opening the amplifier one can see that there are various eq circuits used to "tune" the system to the vehicle (unchangeable). Most OE amplifiers tune through reducing the gain for certain frequency bands.

In some amplified systems the loudness contour of the audio system is disabled. Could this be the cause of your concerns? Loudness would boost both bass and trebel when the radio is set at a lower volume level (roughly below 75% of maximum).
  • Options
    Thanks for your technical insight on the Impala Amplifier. It appears to be that you already have opened the "Lid" of the amp. The EQ circuits that you refered to are actual rotary/slide type of switches or something more like computer chips? Since you said they can't be changed I assume is the latter.

How can the loudness setting be checked for inside the amp? I don't think the "loudness" is working at all.

Based on these findings, the amp seems to be responsible for the lackluster sound frequency management. Could the problem be:

1. Amp factory settings done incorrectly?

2. Underpowered amp?

3. Defective amp?

Audioguy, have you considered replacing just the amp? If so, what would be your amp of choice?
  • Options
    104 and 105 are from me - duraflex.
    I don't know why the got posted as anonymous.
  • Options
    ronf4ronf4 Member Posts: 9
    I have been following this forum for a few weeks and I'm wondering whether any of you having problems have gone back to the dealerships and listened to RDS systems installed in the newer Impalas and Monte Carlos? I took delivery of a 2000 Monte Carlo SS three weeks ago, built on March 7th, which has the RDS CD/Tape system w/amplifier and my system sounds terrific. My radio reception is also excellent and I live in a rural area. Maybe this problem you are encountering has already been identified by Chevy and corrected on the later produced models. Just a thought.
    Ron
  • Options
    rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    When I purchased, I looked at the glass antennae and said to myself, "Self, so much for the radio!" Never have seen a glass mounted antennae that worked well. But then, even with my old exterior antennae I never got great reception. So, it's CD's and tapes. Mine sounds okay. Not nearly as good as the Pioneer system and stock speakers in my 97 Ford F-250 (they'll blow you outta the truck) but, then, I'm not 17 anymore and value my hearing, what there is left of it. I paid for the stereo cause I wanted the CD and tape player and didn't want to screw with an aftermarket installation. I crank my base up to 2/3rds to full and it sounds just fine to me. And, yes, I still like to get some of those Phil Collins or Fleetwood Mac tunes screaming. Lot of it depends on the tape or CD I'm listening to. Some are so-so, others got the doors thumpin' and vibratin'. Granted, it isn't the best stereo I've ever had but at 45 years old, I'm happy with it.
  • Options
    ftnss1ftnss1 Member Posts: 3
    Since purchasing my Impala LS 2 weeks ago, I've been following this forum with interest. My radio reception seems fine, and my sound seems adequate, if not great. I, too, thought the bass seemed a little weak, not to mention my surprise at finding only 4 speakers in the "8-speaker" system.

Last week I took the car to a car audio specialist, and asked his opinion on the sound and any possible fixes. [He laughed when I told him he'd be seeing lots of Impalas!]. Anyway, he listened, played with the volume, tone, etc., and then told me the radio really lacked clear, HIGH TREBLE!? Go figure....he thought the problem was largely the speaker placement: too low on the door, with no dash speakers. His only solutions were (1) Add tweeters to the small panel at the lower front edge of the window, which requires custom-fitting panels for about $400...(2) Since the bass was also not great, add a sub-woofer either under the dash (behind the storage bin, about $600) or in the trunk (about $400).

While his prices sounded outrageous, his opinion was interesting: sounds like we're missing both some lows and some highs...so, is it the amp? Or the speakers (placed too low in front and/or too weak in the rear)?
  • Options
    humahumahumahuma Member Posts: 17
    Audioguy from post 102/103. I agree. The amp is the problem. I have the service manual. It shows the amp connector plugs. The small plug just provides power and ground. The larger plug connects the speaker feeds to the amp and then the amp return back to the speakers. For example pin B8 is the speaker feed left rear. Pin B9 is speaker return left rear. With this detail information we could do two things.
    1) We could bypass the amp by disconnecting the large plug and jumpering the feeds to the returns. This would prove if the amp is working or if the radio sounds better without it. We could demo this to the dealer.
    2) Knowing the exact pin function on the plugs one could possibly try a amp from another manufacture by making a conversion harness.
    Audio guy or anyone else who would like to try this idea out let me know. I could fax you the info from the service manual.
  • Options
    For those of us who did get replies from GM, the answer was to take it back to the dealer.

Has anyone had success with this approach?

If so, what did they do and how does it sound?
    ----------------------

I'm coming up on 1900 miles and will be taking the car in soon for its first visit.
  • Options
    It almost a losing battle!! Yes I have taken my impala ls to 3 different service departments complaining about the poor sound (poor bass, low volumn, poor reception, etc.). I had to leave the car with them. I went back in the afternoon to pick up my car and I got the same response from all three service technicans. That there were no trouble codes indicating any malfuctions and they checked other cars (like mine-with an amplifier)-- and my car radio is working according to designed specifications. They would not check another impala WITHOUT an amplifier.
    This is how I wanted them to compare the sound, but they refused to even listen to a car without the amplifier. They say that my radio OK and is normal. No Help!!!
    I test drove a new impala in Nov. 99 it had the base radio for the IMpala, which is AM/FM Cassett
    only, and 6 speakers -- NO amp. It sounded fine. I placed my order for the new impala in Nov. 99. A week after placing my order I decided to add the WX9 option, which adds a wiring harness to the trunk for a CD-changer.
    When I took delivery in Feb. 00, to my surprise I descovered that a AMPLIFIER was also added as part of this option. So I went back and checked many new stocked impalas and behold this is where I could really hear the difference in sound quality. I had the Fleet Manager, the Sales Manager, and two salesmen listen to the two different radios (with and without the amplifier) and they ALL agreeded that there is a better bass sound and quality of sound without the amplifier. However, the service manager still insist that there my radio is operating as designed. --- These people are not radio electronic technicans!!!! They only trouble shoot from a readable meter which may or maynot give them a trouble code. Where do we go from here?????