Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I agree that vocus can't say that ALL Neons are bad, but then neither can Copperhead say that they are all good. When he/she says to ignore vocus and listen to him/her when he/she has had a new Neon for every year is ridiculous.

He/she has NO long term experience whatsoever with the Neon and is not qualified to say that his/her Neons were reliable. Well, I should hope so! They were all only a year or two old when he got rid of them.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It just seems like you want everyone to love the Neons and if they don't, then there is something wrong with them. You need help dude.

Anyway, the friend I speak of and I live in the same house. And I have my own car, but we switch back and forth. He drives my Protege and I drive his Neon (mostly because I take it in for service because I work near a Dodge dealership). It's not that he let me use it because I needed to. So it looks like you need to be the one shutting up if you don't know all the facts.

And my friend's ex-wife has a 1996 Neon Expresso sedan that has about 30K on it and never had a problem. I think it's just because this 2000 Neon is mostly all new and some of the bugs need to be worked out, as with any redesigned model of any car out there. So all Neons aren't junk, but if you had a car that had to keep being taken in for service when you drive it normally and take good care of it, I am VERY sure you would wanna vent too. So I don't even wanna hear it.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I want to guess! It's a Dodge salesman trying to find a Good review on a Neon! Yea, I got it right!

Isellmazdas
    That was a good one! :) Or, maybe it's one of these avid Dodge fans looking for a good reason to justify such a crappy purchase when they could have gotten something nicer (dare I say it?) and paid the initial money up front for a better car than paying for repairs on a cheaper one later down the road. A shame when you have to buy an extended warranty on your car not for peace of mind, but because you KNOW you will need it!

Also, I know someone who has an Intrepid. It's a 1994 with 62,000 miles on it (base model) and it runs fine. It squeaks and rattles like hell, the paint is peeling off of it, and the AC doesn't work anymore, but it still starts in the morning and that's all that matters, right??? Anyway...

To Copperhead: Find me a publication ANYWHERE that says the Neon is a reliable mode of transportation and I will leave this forum and not come back. Even Consumer Reports slams the Neon. A shame, because it's a nice package. If it was more reliable, then it would sell better.
    Don't waste your keystrokes explaining to Copperhead because he just wants to believe that Neon is the best car since sliced bread on the market. They are good cars in features and all, but their mechanicals suck.

And it's pretty bad that my friend gave me full permission to trade in his 2000 Neon with only 14K and was willing to take my 1999 Protege with 24K on it. My car has more miles and been used more, and STILL is better than the brand-new Neon. There's Chrysler quality in action for ya!
  • bosonboson Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought my new 2000 Neon ES this weekend, I got everything but the ABS/traction control group on it. I have 100 trouble-free miles on it so far. I guess it would be more accurate to say, 100 great-big-grin-on-my-face miles. :)

Anyway, my question is about the power (front... heh) windows, it seems they don't want to work when the ignition is turned to accesories but the engine is not running. I tried rolling up my window yesterday after shutting the engine off, and discovered this. The stereo works, the (factory) sunroof will close, but the windows do nothing unless the engine is running. Is this how it's supposed to work? It seems odd if it is. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this or if something might be wrong.
  • mobaymobay Member Posts: 45
    HI,

Everyone has there own opinion,and will express it ad nauseum to everyone. That's life, and unfortunately the same applies here. I doubt if you three will find anything nice to say about the Neon.Before you answer Vocus..,,by "nice" I mean without the obvious veiled critisism " I really do like the Neon" but then say;

" maybe it's one of these avid Dodge fans looking for a good reason to justify such a crappy purchase when they could have gotten something nicer (dare I say it?) ". Lemme guess.., a Mazda??

Yeah, he's/she's consistent alright.., consistently ambiguous.

Hey, that's your right man/maa'm but don't try to hoodwink us with your crocodile tears.

Also, I'd like to see a publication ANYWHERE that says the 2K Protege is a reliable mode of transportation.Perhaps they will be able to "time
    warp' into the future and tell us.Please do not post a prior model. We are talking here about the 2K Neon so it's only fair that we use a 2K Protege.

Unlike you Vocus,I will,however return to this forum.

How can one paint, in one broad stroke,a statement of fact about ALL Neons.Lemme guess what you're going to say.., "well.., based on past reliability reports"...., . To a point yes, but to use this wholly as a benchmark for a new generation of cars? I say "NO".

Empirical data gentlemen.., PLEASE!

I'm stupid this way but, until my 2K 5sp. ES become unreliable,I will say that it is reliable.I'm old-fashioned in this way. Perhaps someome would say " well my car has been giving me nothing but problems,but past models were reliable,so mine must be reliable too.

Yeah.., that's the ticket!

Once again, as always for this group, the thought "I own a XXX car and I love/hate it because it's reliable/unreliable, so therefore all xxx cars are
    good/bad always comes through.

Lets have at it chaps..., back to you.
    Check out the April 2000 issue of Consumer Reports Magazine, and also the September issue. The April issue says the Protege is "Recommended" based on RELIABILITY. The September 2000 issue tests the Neon and says behind the times it is. It came in REAL low on the list of small cars. The Focus is better than the Protege on that list, and I will admit in some areas it is, but PROVEN reliability is not one of them.

Also, I could use the 1999 Protege (which I have) as a reliability basis, because the designs did not change from 1999 to 2000 on the Protege as they did on the Neon.

Now for someone who came to the forum for something worth talking about: Boson, our ES (mine and my friend's) has power windows and yes, they SHOULD close with the key in the accessory position. Mine do and so should all of them.
  • jmn2786jmn2786 Member Posts: 15
    Ok vocus, you asked for it:

Neon is a reliable car:
    http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Overview/Dodge/Neon/Used.asp

Protege is a reliable car:
    http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Overview/Mazda/Protege/Used.asp

Now get out!

My power windows work when my car is off (accessory is turning the key back from off right?). Hope you enjoy your Neon, I have loved my 2K thus far.

The 2000 has a new body, interior and some features, but the engine and many of the mechanical parts are brought over from 1999 with minor mods. These have had the bugs worked out through 5 years of production.
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    What a well balanced car my 98 is, it just does it all so well. Great room , kick butt power and handling, 50+MPG, awesome looks. Man, did I say I like the Neon?
    That hard to believe. Could it even get any better? It seems like trying to improve a classic work of art.
    now it is starting to look like there are so many more satisified owners of the neon. just because the same 3 people post the same crap 100 times here doesn't mean it's common. If you are really interested in learing something about neons go to www.neons.org I dare you trolls to go start crap over there, I dare you!
    just what are half of you trolls doing here in a neon topic? Last time I looked this wasn't neon versus pro-toe-jay. I you have a real experience to post here (for the first time, vocus) then go for it. God help me if I see this crap continue I will be all over the mazda (or whatever) boards with stories of woe from all corners of the earth (weather true or not) why must you come here and decair war on our beloved neons. Yes I beyond all doubt think the neon is the best car made under $15000. It is way cooler then sliced bread. I supposed your cars are so boring that nobody ever even bother talking about them on their own web boards so you come here trolling to start something? I guess I'll play vocus here for awhile...
    My 98 has over 20K and running strong, 2 quick trips to service 2 years ago for minor glitches and nothing but smoked protoges since.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...I should probably spend more time in here. But... With this usually being a relaxed forum, I find that I have to deal with problems in more troubled forums. That's why I'm here now. Everybody try to calm down a bit, OK?

There have been no out-of-warranty repairs on my wife's 96 Sport Coupe with 47K. Although the front steering is making the all-to-familiar occasional clunk that's been fixed in the past, I'm not concerned about it right now. I'll get it fixed the next time I have it in for a "more than oil change" service, probably at 60K. A couple segments of the clock/tuner display occasional don't work but I really don't need 'em. Minor annoyance? Sure, but it doesn't bother me. The wind noise from the aftermarket sunroof (there when we got the car with 9K) is frustrating and the paint isn't wearing as well as I'd like but again, they don't keep me from driving it. The car does have the coldest and quickest air that I've ever seen. That thing is blowing cold in five seconds at idle. I used to run around town a gear lower than normal to keep the revs up in my Integra GS-R just so the compressor would spin faster to keep up on a hot day. (That and it being generally fun...)

I maintain it religiously and run synthetics. I give the car 20 to 30 seconds warm up and down just to be kind but do hit the rev limiter on occasion.

The lousy resale was the reason my wife bought (prior to our marriage) the car. At the time you couldn't touch another car with the level of performance, equipment and remaining factory warranty, something that had long since expired on similarly priced imports. The warranty was important because unexpected expenses at the time were something to avoid. Now that we're a little more comfortable financially, I have no problem keeping it until it begins to really cost me or I find a great deal on another car that interests me.

Anyhoo... that's my story. Take it easy...

There are a number of great cars in this segment and the merits of each are being compared in other topics. This topic is about the Neon.

I've made clear in other topics the rule-of-thumb regarding positive and negative feedback. Both are welcome as long as they are provided with the genuine intention of helping other owners and buyers.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
    HI

"To Copperhead: Find me a publication ANYWHERE that says the Neon is a reliable mode of transportation and I will leave this forum and not come back."

Are you an honest man/woman?

Much as I enjoyed our jousting,the time has come for you to ante up and honor your promise.

Anything short of that will show you for the person you are.

Have an nice life.

Oh..,, remember to close the door on the way out.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    http://neons.org/mopar/lenkillviper00.MPG

You to can beat a Viper in a Neon.

Hahn Racecraft turbo/intercooled, running 10/11 sec 1/4 mile times. Still has interior and is street legal.
    My neighbor really loves his 2000 Neon. He and his wife have owned or leased several new cars and they just dote on their new Neon. I guess you can call me a troll, but....I have followed this topic lately for two reasons. Because; Paul,(vocus) is my friend and needed an advocate, and because my wife and I are close to are neighbor(the Neon owner)and thought it would be neat to keep up on other owners opinions.
    I thought, importfighter; used poor taste in suggesting that the picture with someones head up their a**, was vocus. Very crude! So in post #321, I made a flippant comment,and for that I am sorry. Please seek to understand vocus, he is a good guy!

respectfully,
    protegextwo
    Yeh, I though the pic was uncalled for... but it was a really funny pic.
    HI,

In regards to your friend, Vocus.

What I found vexing was the deception.The charade of him "really liking the Neon " and then the biting remarks afterwards in subsuquent posts.

Besides, when did this become the Mazda Protege' vs Neon discussion?

Finally ,and I hope this is the end of it, and him. He opened his big mouth, and put his foot in it by promising to leave if "ANY publication" could be found that said the Neon is reliable.

I fully expect him to keep his word.

I can only hope he can lend his talents to another
    discussion group. I , for one, will not cry over his departure.

End of the matter, and hopefully..., his posts.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?t=3846&c=Sedans

Since all you Neon owners don't like hearing negative comments about your car, I made another topic for it.
    I do feel the Neon group has the RIGHT to post in their OWN topic with out having "trolls" posting repeated negative comments. Vocus is NOT a troll, he posted about sharing his Protege DX and his roomate's Dodge Neon at Protege #3 long before he came here with his opinions. Nonetheless, I don't think Paul feels his post's entirely fit in a Protege vs. Neon format. Paul is in his early 20's and wants to go fast and enjoy a sporty crisp handling car. The Neon does that, " HE LOVES THAT!!!" This same Neon, that he commutes in daily; has build quality issues," HIS REALITY, DETAILED IN HIS MANY POSTS, HERE AT THE DODGE/PLYMOUNTH NEON TOPIC!" So, he truly has a love/hate relationship with his car! Posting his questions, concerns, opinions, and comments in a "versus" topic is not exactly what he has in mind. Vocus is not the fair-hared boy of the Mazda Protege owners topic,(He is often critical of his Protege DX) but.....He is a prolific poster and always says whats on his mind. For that he has my respect. I am sure, he will engage in the new topic, barich1, but....I doubt the NEON folks will! Just my 2 cents!

respectfully,
    protegextwo
    It's just sad that I cannot come in and express my own opinion without being shunned because I am not having a perfect experience with the (supposed) best small car on the road. That's fine. It just shows the mentality level of some of the people in this topic. And it also shows that they are very good in starting arguments but when the other party starts to win, they begin to throw accusations around in everyone's face.

And NO I will not stop visiting this topic or posting here. This is a free forum and I will continue to post and visit, because I was right anyway. I said show me a publication in print (consumer-related) that shows the Neon to be reliable. Since I am in the PR business, I know the most-prominent ones are Consumer Digest, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, and Consumer Reports. I KNOW Cons. Reports doesn't recommend the Neon for anything but trouble. And Consumer Digest and Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazines don't either. CASE CLOSED!

But that's fine. The Neon might not be reliable, but it's a helluva lot of fun on a twisty off-ramp. The power is great, but the steering needs to be as quick as the Protege's and it would be perfect.
    Perhaps I should make one called "Neon vs. Neon, The Inner Conflict." Would that be more appropriate for Paul? :-)
    Sorry, but I do like both cars. I like the Protege more because it has had ONE trip to the repair shop in almost 25K where the Neon has had 4 in only 15K. And Mazda gives better customer service. Chrysler doesn't even offer a rental car overnight for warranty repairs! They told me it's up to the dealership. And some of the 5-star ones don't even offer that. That sucks!
    With Kiplinger's against the neon, and they are such a highly respected automotive magazine. I remember all the good times sitting around bench racing with my fellow gearheads over the latests hop up article in Kiplinger's. God forbid the biggest company on earth print a good report on the neon, I know, I know they needed that extra $5000 chrysler slipped them in thier troubled times. Consumer reports changes their ratings back and forth all the time I guess thats why you are so fond of that publication. Consumers Digest... what it that, and obvious spin off of reports, I doubt since they stole the name they probably steal the reasearch and just post whatever consumer reports said, changing a few lines here and there like a 4th grader doing a report out of an encyclopedia.
    Kiplinger's personal finance magazine does an automotive layout in one issue a year, recommending all cars based on resale value, cost of owning, prices new, fuel economy, crash safety, and things like that. Neon wasn't recommended by them. Consumer Digest is NOT a spin-off of Consumer Reports, not even owned by the same company or anything like that. They have "Best Buy" picks of cars all the time, and the Neon didn't make their list either.

And as for Consumer Reports, they change their ratings of cars so often because they are constantly surveying owners on reliability and things of that sort. One time a car might be reliable, but the next it will be less so. Does this make any sense to you now?? DUH!!
    The only reason I posted that was because you made a challege (one that was pretty easy to make).

The Neon is a Consumer Guide Recommended Buy!

http://cg.superpages.com/cgi-bin/php/new/reports/full/intro?CarId=19

Their only real complaint is the fact the 3sp AT is a power and gas sucker. I agree, If I wanted an AT I probably would have gone with a VW Jetta. I didn't, so I got the Neon, and I'm not sorry I did. Seems that most of the reviews I've read have been with the 3sp AT, which I think gives the reviewer a false sense of the 5sp's capabilities.

If you read any other forum on edmunds (protege, jetta, focus). You will find other disgruntled owners. That insist since they had a problem, all of that model are crap. This isn't true.

I don't think these generalizations are true. Any of them. The media is always biased for whatever the reason, thats why you should never buy a car simply on a review. From what I have read and seen myself the Neon, Focus, Jetta, Sentra are all solid cars that will most likely bring any owner years of satisfied service. It's the things that make the car unique to our needs that actually get us to buy it. I chose the Neon because of it's performance, styling, handling, features, and price. It's a great package that has served my needs very well.

One person's experience with a car or a dealer is not a realistic portrail of the hundreds of thousands of other people and cars of that model.

Anyway, Vocus, you have posted your problem OVER and OVER again, do you have to keep reposting the same story? At least talk about something different. It's good to have people on both sides, or the discussion would be boring. I think you are generalizing though, and that is bad without data to back it up.

Good Day,

A completely satisfied Neon owner.
    Consumer Guide does Recommend the Neon. I have that publication and I forgot about that one. My fault. But they add the "Recommended" status based on the test review and all, not factoring in reliability. The others do factor in reliability.

Anyway, the Neon is a respectable entry in the subcompact class and we all know that. It just needs to improve its reliability a bit better and Chrysler needs to improve their customer service IMO.

And, we got all the stuff fixed on the Neon under warranty except the tapping engine, which they refuse to recognize. When it blows its head, then they will fix it. Fine, because it's covered for 75K and I am sure, if it's tapping at 15K, it will below shortly.
    The head gasket issue tha plagued 95, 96, 97, and early 98 Neons HAS BEEN FIXED.
    Well, what else could be wrong with the engine when it's tapping ferociously than the head gasket? I don't know what it could be, but it's a little disconcerting to have the engine in a car that's 6 months old with 15K to have engine tapping worse than a car with 100K on it. I just wish Dodge could find out what's wrong with it.

They said "no problem found" as usual. But yet, three other people who I rode in the car heard it tapping and they couldn't. That is such bullcrap. That's what makes me mad about the service and customer care at Chrysler.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Tapping noises have absolutely nothing to do with the head gasket. Tapping is normally caused by valves with too large of a clearance, by using low quality gas, or by low oil pressure. Maybe the engine's computer isn't retarding the timing to compensate for the bad gas or maybe the hydraulic lifters aren't keeping the valves in proper clearance or its possible the oil pump isn't holding the proper oil pressure, but that should cause the oil light to come on. At any rate, it isn't that big of a deal unless the tapping is SEVERELY loud. Some four cylinders tend to make more of a metallic tapping sound than others, so maybe it is normal for the Neon.
    I have a classic 84 VW GTI (I think Mobay and importfighter would appreciate that statement) and it has solid lifters. My valves tap whenever it is real hot outside and I am using the AC and accelerating hard or up a hill. It is no big deal. Since I have never adjusted the valves, that is probably my problem. However, the last time I checked, they were within specs. So, my point here is that it taps and nothing can really be done about it. It is just a normal sound whenever the engine is under a lot of strain and is operating in a hot and humid climate. I don't let it annoy me.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    All these reliability issues can be said about DC,
    but this is outrageous, but of course they weren't
    DC car's, the were Chevy's.

Check it out:
    http://www.execpc.com/~thor101/impala/
  • importfighterimportfighter Member Posts: 35
    I cant believe some of you took that photo seriously! It was a joke alright just a joke. There was no "bad taste" involved just some comic relief, what bullcrap. This forum has turned into a neon haters affair and once a fun place to be and share information has become totally useless. I say thanks to those like Mobay and others, you've made it great, but I'm outta here guys-this place sucks! I'm off to better things, like driving my neon. Hey, neon haters it's been a nightmare-I think I'm gonna puke ON A WORTHLESS MAZDA!!!!! BYE BYE =^9
    HI,

I had a 1982 GTI and loved it till I was forced (relocation overseas) to sell it. When I see one on the street, I look at it the same way a person would look at a long lost lover. I loved it that much.Very fast,handled great,and was not bad at all inside (especially the seats!)

I am beginning to become intoxicated also by my Neon, and have accepted it's little quirks, just as I do my two son's personalities.It is a very exciting,comfortable,and tight car.

I'm different perhaps from most in this group in that I thoroughly researched the car before I bought it. I had heard of the Neon, not from American's but from Brits,Dutch and Norwegians (yes! Norwegians) who told me of its performance and value. I am also different in that I knew beforehand it's shortcomings and was surprised to find them gone in the 2K.

I also have a 5sp.( unlike most), which ,until you drive a 2K with one,you cannot believe the difference between it and an automatic model.

Tapping noises DO NOT have anything WHATSOEVER! with head gaskets.I've had the pleasure of being around Ferrari's and other sports cars, and they have a "samba" of mechanical noise that is worse than any Neon.My 5sp. idles very smoothly,but at full throttle,you know there's 132BHP in front of the steering wheel.Think of it as Pavarotti,clearing his throat before singing.

The problem with Japanese,most European, and almost all American cars made today is that they are BORING!Capable, and refined , perhaps like the late Lady Diane,but I'd rather fall in love with a Jennifer Lopez, who is exotic and exciting.

The Neon is one of those few cars that "grows" on you.It's not what you would expect a cheap (no slight intended) car to be.It was the model for many others to follow.It has redefined what a sub-compact can be (like the GTI did in the 1980's).No one can take that away from it's heritage.

We will talk forever about reliability of the 2K and until three years go by, will never know. One thing no one argues about here (even the detractors)is that the Neon is not fun to drive.

This will probably be my last post for a while as I believe that there's not too much more to be said that has not been said.

I will continue to love my Neon until it does something to betray that love.

If you're ever driving in the DC Metro area and see a middle age man blast by you in a 2K, with a flag (won't tell you which one!)one the back, that's me.My 2k is modified so it'll sound different from a stock one.

I'll also have a big grin on my face.

Thanks fella's it been interesting and enjoyable.

God keep you all.
    You are in the DC metro area? I work in Lanham and frequent 495 myself.

I kinda thought the tapping had nothing to do with the head gaskets, but wasn't sure. But the valves shouldn't tap because the car takes 87 octane gas and that's what I put in it. Also, I changed gas brands and it still taps. I guess I will find out when or if something happens with it.
    You said the Neon is not fun to drive?? Are you sure you are driving a 5-speed Neon?
    What he was saying is that even the people who talk negatively against the Neon do NOT say it isn't fun to drive. I will admit that too, because it is. I guess I'm just used to a quieter car, but the engine does sound nice when it hits redline, even with the automatic and I don't mind that noise. The thing I do NOT like is the vibration through the whole car on idle (I think it's bad motor mounts, but the dealer says no and that's the way all Neons are designed). I am going to the dealer next weekend and driving a 2000 Neon to see if this is true. If it's not (which I don't think it is), it's going to be hell to pay the captain!
    Give them HELL,because there is TSB for that vibration,and they should fix it,they shouldn´t tell you that crap!
    I have a 2000 Neon,it was built in may of 99 and I didn´t have major problems with it,let me tell you that it´s a fast car,and it´s good with mpg,the ONLY problem I had was with the power steering,a little noise with it.
    So I took it back to the dealer,they told me it was ok,so I took a new car and test drove it,and no noise,so I called Chrysler and explained my problem.
    My dealer installed a cooler,and had to replace 3 times the power steering until I was satisfied with my car,so far the car runs great,it´s a blast to drive it,I enjoy it very much.
    There are a couple of TSB for the 2000 Neon,the dealer MUST perform them,make sure they will!
    Tell them you want to see them,if you don´t have them let me know.
    I tried it with the power steering thing too. It's like a whining noise when I turn it sometimes at low speeds or stopped. BUT AGAIN, they said it's normal. This from a dealership that left my damn car sit from 9am-5pm and then called me and told me they couldn't get to it and would NOT pay for a rental. And that I could either come and get it and return the next day (without complimentary transportation to work) or leave it overnight and pay out of my pocket for a rental car. What customer service!
    It´s not a whining noise,it´s like a !clunk!,they said it´s because the steering has to much play between the rack and pinion,some dealers are trying to reduce that play giving the steering less tolerance,but as I spoke yesterday with my service mgr. he said to me a new power steering it´s on it´s way,and customers complaining about the noise will have it.
    But what happened with ALL the TSB,are they done?
  • azenoneazenone Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,
    I bought my first car, a used 95 Highline Sedan In March, and I have a couple of questions for anyone who may be able to help me. First thing I would like to know is do all Neons seem to have really bad squeaking brakes? Also Can I take my Neon to a Dailmer/Chrysler dealer to have the head gasket repaiered, or do I have to take it to the dealer I bought it from? And finally and this is the strangest thing, has anyone ever heard of the Neon having a trunk that leaks? Whenever it rains the spare tire compartment fills(not completely) with water. It even got into the back seat floorboards the last time!! i had standing water in my car! The dealership where i bought it said that there was nothing he could do about it! A friend of mine suggested that it may have been in an accident from the previous owner, but i checked carfax.com and it had a clean title. Should it be the dealers responsibility to fix this or am i stuck with it? Any help on any of these problems is appreciated!
    The seals around the outside of the trunk are broken or messed up (rubber). It needs to be replaced, and yes the dealer IS responsible for fixing it!
  • azenoneazenone Member Posts: 2
    I also noticed, that water seems to run down the gray foam cushion on the inside of the trunk where the tail lights are mounted, does that mean anything?
  • ochoaochoa Member Posts: 9
    I don't know guys but aim from Mexico and i have a 2000 neon. Is a hit every one have a neon or wants to get one.
    in Mexico it have allot of short streets and a car that can get so much response to the turns like neon do it i think.
    the stylish of the car are remarkable and the stereo sound very god i don't think that the noise are bad i think like in the racing cars every one wants some experience to.and not to think that you drive a limacine.
    It's probably not leaking around the trunk seal but around the tailight gaskets. I believe there is a TSB on this, check www.neons.org on their TSB page. Anyone can fix the headgasket, DC may pay all but $100 of the cost if you call the customer service number and tell thenm the story, (again look on www.neons.org to come up with the best story). I would go to the best DC service center around weather you bought the car there or somewhere else. The squealing brakes is a TSB also but I believe they will only pay to replace pads if you are with in the orginal factory warrenty (not the case on a 95), you could fix them yourself (or any brake shop could) during your next brake job with $1 worth of anti sqeal applied correctly. My mom's 99 VW is way worse with squealing brakes even before Dodge fixed mine at 15000 miles. It really didn't bother me but I figured what the hell, free pads. The head gasket must actually need to be replaced, contrary to popular belief not all head gaskets on the 95-99's fail, many are still giong strong on the originals with well over 100K. Many times a leaking valve cover gasket or PVC valve can be mistaken for a head gasket leak. Unlike the head gasket that failed on my 90 Beretta with Quad 4 motor that seized the motor, bending a connecting rod and 4 valves, requiring a $4500 new (not rebuilt) motor, the neon headgasket leak is not catastrophic and maninly results in an oil leak down the side of the motor. Anyone that thinks DC's customer service is bad should try Bremerton WA's chevy dealer, they tried to get me to trade that chevy in for $2000 telling me it was out of warrenty. I went home and checked the records and it had a 3 year 50000 mile warrenty, they said 3/30000. Then 2 days later I got a notice direct from chevy saying they haedgaskets were a common problem and they extended the warrenty to 75K and no $100 deductable. Needless to say I took it 20miles to the next dealer and 1.5 months later (no loaner of course) it was finally done. That Chevy GTZ cost $3000 more in 1990 then my neon did in 98 and the neon funner to drive. Good luck on your neon, Is it a sport model? if so you really have the equal of a 99 RT model, after 95 the sport model was more of a trim line then a performance line, just something to be aware of.
  • spinellispinelli Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am 22 year old in college college. I am about to purchase a 1997 Plymount Neon highline. It is automatic and after reading everyone's comments, I am so skeptical. This whole head gasket problem, I don't understand at all. Can someone please explain to me in lay man terms?(I don't know anything about cars). Also is there anyway I can fix the problem before it arises e.g ask my dealer if the head gasket has been replaced before or have him check and put the better model in it. I know there are some problem-free ones being manufactured. Which ones are they and how can you tell them apart?. Also when I test drove the car, the engine was making a little noise. It did not sound smooth as other cars, is this normal with neons or should I be worried from now?. I am not going to be driving the car much. I just need something to get me to and from work and school. no major travelling or anything. but on the other hand, my job is very important and I need a reliable car to drive around especially if I am paying all that money for it. I don't want a car that would spend 10months out of 12 in the auto shop. I went to carfax and checked the vin# on the car. the history was good. just one owner and no major problems reported. I was also wondering, although my dealer said the car has been inspected, should I take it to the auto shop and have them re-inspect it to my satifaction? I know there are a lot of questions but I would appreciate it if someone can please help. thanks a lot.
    Yes re-inspect the car bumper to bumper!
  • ancuancu Member Posts: 2
    I have the same ckicking noise on my 2000 Neon. Did you solve your problem? Was it wheel covers or break pads? Did copperhead1 ever explain why he thought it was break pads?