Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• miked2miked2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I've posted before (#3955), but didn't get any help. Same car, an updated question.
    I think I have eliminated just about everything, except the ignition switch. I even tried a new key with the same resistance as the original one.
    Someone once told me, you can eliminate the resistor on the ignition key if you measure the resistance in ohms across the key (1.13k in this case), get an inline resistor, cut a wire from the ignition switch and install the resistor.
    If anyone knows of this method, could you please post. Also, if this is the case, would I have to remove the resistor on the key itself.
    Thank you for your time. Mike.
  • huskerfan_1huskerfan_1 Member Posts: 8
    Well, if he waits long enough, that stupid person will say "ok". I will check around. I am taking my Aurora out tomorrow to show it off to prospective dealers. I hope it doesnt snow.

My cousin told me I should buy a Dodge. I test drove the Magnum Hemi, but that is as far as I go with that.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Huskerfan, I have a '98 Aurora, and will soon have my second '04 GTO (first one had some unique problems, GM has agreed to exchange it for another), so I'm familiar with the pro's and con's of the Aurora.

I've had Impala rental cars and been extremely unimpressed with the interior quality. I also had an '05 Grand Prix rental for a week while my GTO was in the shop, and, while I wasn't super-impressed with it at first, it kinda grew on me after awhile. I still like the exterior appearance of the 1997-2003 models (wife had an 01 GTP) better, but the interior of the 2004-2005 is much better.

You might consider the Bonneville GXP - Northstar-powered, Aurora-sized, with seats from the 2001-2003 Aurora, but a lot sportier (18" wheels, sports suspension, et. al.). You should consider the GTP - my wife's car was VERY reliable in the 3 years, 39k miles we owned it. There is also an upcoming Grand Prix GXP coming later in the 2005 model year, with a 5.3L V8.

Strongly suggest you go over to the Real World Trade-in Values board over in the Finance discussion here on Edmunds, and find out what your Aurora is worth. My guess is you'd do a lot better if you went private-party...

--Robert
  • huskerfan_1huskerfan_1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I have the dealer going to the St. Louis auction on Thursday. He has found a '04 GP GTP "factory special event" car with only 8k miles. He is going to call me from the auction to let me know about the pirce, says it's a good time of year to buy.

As for the Aurora, he thinks he has a buyer waiting in the wings. It's a win, win for everyone if the price of this GTP is reasonable.

I will post here what I end up getting.

Kelly
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    Well, the Bonneville comes with what I would call a downtuned Northstar V8. Not too shabby. But nothing high performance. I was going to say the Grand Prix will have a V8 soon but I think that will still be FWD. I think the deal with FWD is that it just plain costs less. They save on materials and labor costs and stuff like that. And I think you get a little more room in the cabin.
  • daisymandaisyman Member Posts: 7
    Sure it cost less especially when your sharing the same platform with the other GM models (ex..le sabre, impala....).

Wouldn't be nice if Pontiac made a Pontiac. No more sharing of parts platforms and engines.

How bout a 4 door RWD, V-6 with 250 hp and a optional 350 hp V-8(made by Pontiac only for Pontiac) mated with a 6-speed gear box and shod with 18" fat sticky tires.

Make it look good, engineer it like a BMW (handling, suspension etc....) and build quality of a Japanese car. Build the car here in the states, not importing them from Australia.

Pontiac would sell a ton of them.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    GM confirmed it, and Car & Driver in their January edition have a short take on it.(page 37) "Displacement on demand" 5.3L V8 @ 290hp & 325lb-ft torque. Per what I've read this is about the hp/torque limit s for a FWD. Its also 15hp more than the Bonne GXP.
    I looked over and sat in a Bonne GXP last weekend. Some interior upgrades - suede insert in seats, "carbon fiber" like trim, white face gauges... even with the V8 not sure it is worth the $5k mark up over the SLE. I sure hope Pontiac is smarter about procing the GP GXP.
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    I know what you mean but it will probably never happen. American car companies still don't get it. They would have to do things like you are talking about and they are not quite up to it. Actually they could do it only it would cost $50K.
    hmmm... that must be why they dropped the SSE Bonne - not enough delta between the SSE & GPX. The GP GTP w/ comp G has magnasteer, stabilitrack...
  • lpillarlpillar Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering buying a Comp G GTP. In fact it is parked in my garage right now. Any thoughts, comments would be helpful. My last car was a 1998 Buick Regal GT, which was great except for a few electrical problems. I am trying to decide whether the GTP is worth trading my 2002 Envoy for..
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    “I am seriously considering buying a Comp G GTP.”

Well, I have driven a CompG (shortly after the intro., quite a while ago now) and spent a couple of days recently driving a GTP (non-CompG) rental in Colorado with my daughter. And I owned a ’97 GTP for approx. 3 years.

Depending on your time-line, and what you really want out of a new vehicle, you may want to wait until the new (long rumored) GXP actually hits dealers. Sounds like that will be early 2005.

With a 5.3L V8 (and a different exhaust system – that I expect will allow some measure of the characteristic V8 heterodyne beat to escape) with (Est.) 290 HP / 325 TQ, all the CompG equipment, a beefed up trans., etc. – this new model / version may interest me.

According to GM, 18” wheels / tires and Bilstein dampers will be included – and a stiffer rear stabilizer bar. Upgraded disk brakes. It will be almost a half inch lower.

My understanding is that this all aluminum V8 weighs less than the S/C 3800 V6. With a bunch more Torque and DOD, this may prove to be a significantly improved drivetrain.

And rumor has it that the pricing will be little (if any) more than the CompG.

Although an optimal drag race style start will likely be problematic with such TQ numbers (with a 3.4” pulley on my ’97 it certainly was) the pull through the gears for highway merging and passing ought to be improved over the S/C V6. We’ll see.

We certainly live in interesting times.

Again, depends on exactly what you want and when you want / need to make a change.

- Ray

Waiting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I love my GP GT and it's been trouble free but I fear you will take a pretty big hit on your Envoy?
  • slotheadslothead Member Posts: 14
    I had a 2000 Maxima which I loved, pressently am renting a GT1 until the GT2 comes in. (1st week w/ car) Pros and Cons: I love the low end torque of the Pontiac, the interior feels a bit rubbery and cheap. The radio knobs (volume and tuner) are not lit, right next to each other and both same size and feel. Never hit the one I want. Car handles better than the tires equiped with. Seat is very comfortable. I ordered the sunroof option which I was surprised actualy costs more than the leather option. Never saw that before, but could only order one (company car) and find sunroof more fun to have than leather. Not sure that was the right choice but never the less. The windows are very short and confining copared to the Maxima so thought Sunroof would open up the space a bit. The rental has 14k on it and the front tires are half worn. Just my observations so far.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    If I had to choose between a sunroof and leather interior, I would choose the sunroof everytime. For some strange reason, I just love them.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    Personally I think a 5.3L V8 would be too much for the midsized front drive W body platform the GP utilizes. Can you say horrendous torque steer? The 3800 S/C V6 is already the limit on this platform.

As for the Bonny GXP, that platform was designed to use a V8, same platform as the Caddy. Nice car the GXP is, but not worth nearly $40k. GTP is just as fast if not faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile with a V6 and $10k less !!

<<<<As for the Grand Prix's reliability Consumer Reports gives the Grand Prix's with the base engines a bullseye for excellent reliability. However they don't recomend the 04 Grand Prix's with the supercharged engine>>>>

"The Grand Prix is a mediocre sedan. it's ride, rear seat comfort, and 20mpg overall fuel economy aren't up to the levels of MOST competing sedans. The V6 is fairly quick but NOISY. Taller drivers may find headroom insufficient. the rear seats are very CRAMPED" Consumer Reports January 2004 Review summary.

CR never gave ANY model of the GP a "bullseye for excellent reliablity" The only year the GP was above average in reliability was 2002. The 1997 & 1998 GP are on their list of used cars to AVOID and below reliability.

To my knowledge CR has never tested a Supercharged GTP, only the normally aspirated 200hp GT1 and GT2 in their car review of Jan. 2004. They never tested a 1997-2003 GTP either.. only GT. .

Actually the normally aspirated 3800 V6 has the weak plastic intake manifold which is known for leaking coolant, where as the supercharged 3800 uses a metal intake manifold that lasts much longer.

I have had a 1997 and 2002 GTP. The 1997 had many problems..most fixed under warranty. My 2002 is doing pretty well... only 1 problem in 2 yrs now.. knock on wood. Much better car. I have now learned my lesson buying 1st year cars.. my 1995 Aurora V8 was pretty problematic too.
  • tek3tek3 Member Posts: 20
    CR rated the non-supercharged GP as one of the ten most reliable sedans. Interestingly, they rated the supercharged version as one of the eleven least reliable. I'd be curious if anyone knows of any specific problems that earned it this rating.
    Reading through the article it states that Pontiac had to do some engineering on suspension and front end to accomodaqte the V8 and transaxle. Torque steer might be a bit of a problem with all the V8's torque. Pontiac uses the same V8 & transaxle in the Bonne GXP which I've read handles the torque steer pretty well.

My 2000 GTP had enhanced traction control which did a good job. I've driven lesser powered FWD cars that handled the torque steer terribly. (Hang on and fight to keep a straight line)
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I agree with you that CR never gave the Grand Prix the highest reliability rating in their annual car issue each April. However they have an annual buyer's guide that comes out every November, and the most recent guide gave the Grand Prix the highest reliability rating.

Now that the Grand Prix is built in Canada at the same plant where the Buick Regal was built, the reliabilty ratings are as high as the Regal's. My 2004 Grand Prix GT has 49K miles, and all I have had to replace are fluids and filters. It has not been back to the dealer once.
    &#147;Reading through the article it states that Pontiac had to do some engineering on suspension and front end to accomodaqte the V8 and transaxle. Torque steer might be a bit of a problem with all the V8's torque. Pontiac uses the same V8 & transaxle in the Bonne GXP which I've read handles the torque steer pretty well.

My 2000 GTP had enhanced traction control which did a good job. I've driven lesser powered FWD cars that handled the torque steer terribly. (Hang on and fight to keep a straight line)&#148;

Perhaps I have missed something here (I only stop in this Forum occasionally) but the Bonne GXP uses (essentially) the old FWD SLS version of the Northstar 4.6 L V8. DOHC and all. . . Likely pretty expensive to produce.

The Grand Prix GXP uses a very different OHV V8. Cost to adapt to this applicateion, not trivial, I expect &#150; but perhaps cheaper to build in volume.

The increased torque can certainly be an issue when trying to accelerate around a (slippery) corner.

And I expect that it will not result in particularly impressive 60&#146; times, if drag racing numbers are important to you. I expect that an aggressive launch will be tricky.

OTOH, this boost in torque makes the wide ratio 4-speed automatic (as opposed to 5 or 6 ratios) somewhat more palatable (to me) - and keeping the Grand Prix final drive at 2.93 (Bonne GXP is 3.7 &#150; one reason their highway fuel mileage is not very impressive) combined with DOD may produce reasonable highway fuel mileage.

But driving the beast will tell me more.

- Ray

Still interested in a test drive . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yeah, I was confused on the Bonne motor. It will be interesting though to see what Pontiac decides to do with the Bonne GXP.

At the PDX auto show in 2004 they had a special GP show car with a 5.3L V8 which the GM Rep said was never likely to be built! Sounds like somebody changed their minds....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to testing one as the practical side of me has me shying away from the GTO or the Bonne GXP.
    With DOD (DoD?) and a much less aggressive final drive (than the Bonne GXP), I am wondering what the EPA highway mpg will be - as well as "real world" mileage at cruise.

The Bonne GXP at 17 / 24 is not impressive (to me) - and postings seem to indicate that 24's about as good as it gets.

I wonder if the GP GXP will match the CompG - at 18 / 27 - or even better?

And if Job #1 is in March, I expect that magazine reviews will start hitting the streets in February.

- Ray

Just wondering . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • slotheadslothead Member Posts: 14
    I always felt the "dual" exhaust with the twin split again outlets looks real tacky. Saw a nice looking single outlet version on a 2005 was wondering if only on base model. I have 2005 GT2 ordered and I think the spec says dual stainless exhaust. I don't want to drive a vacuum cleaner around, may have to cut off and put on single tips.
  • sindibadsindibad Member Posts: 5
    I purchased 2004 Grand Prix last year when 1st come out. If you ask me do I like the car! yes I do it is a pretty car, best performance , best handling, best acceleration, fun to drive, but the build quality realy needs to be tighter especially under the hood and the chasee. In addition Gm must look at the steering wheel again and make it tighter. don't let them fool you with megna steer the wheel overall is loose. Some driver may not notice this issue. I am trading this car for Chrysler 300C, or InfinitiG35, or Accura TL. When Gm build this car better, I will be again the first buyer.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    sindibad: I HIGHLY recommend you have a long test drive in a Chrysler 300 before you buy. I drove one for a week in California in September (I am a former owner of a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, among other things).

I own a Ford Five Hundred, NOT a Chrysler 300. There are many reasons, not relevant here. But you REALLY need to give that 300 an extended test drive before you jump out of the Grand Prix.
    Anyone here see pics of the new 06 Impala. Optional SS V8 with DOD. My next car may be a Chevy.

Anyone know if the V8 in the upcoming GP is the same?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Yes the Grand Prix GXP starts production in March with the same 303HP engine.
    &#147;OTOH, this boost in torque makes the wide ratio 4-speed automatic (as opposed to 5 or 6 ratios) somewhat more palatable (to me) - and keeping the Grand Prix final drive at 2.93 (Bonne GXP is 3.7 &#150; one reason their highway fuel mileage is not very impressive) combined with DOD may produce reasonable highway fuel mileage.&#148;

- From my post of a few days back . . .

Perhaps I need to clarify this. For those interested:

I believe that the final drive of the GT/GT1/GT2 Grand Prix is 2.93 or 3.05 (C+D).

The CompG / WS6 package includes a change in final drive ratio to 3.29. Not a huge difference, but approx. 10%. Primarily to further enhance acceleration, I expect.

The GXP reverts (?) to the same 2.93 ratio as the GTx-s. (I hope it is re-engineered to handle the additional torque &#150; as the trans. reportedly is.)

In combination with the increased TQ and HP of the V8 (compared to the S/C 3800) I expect that this will result in better acceleration than the CompG (mid- or low-14s?) but potential for slightly better &#147;real world&#148; highway MPG as well &#150; between the DoD and the 10% lower RPM required at cruise. (More with the 18&#148; wheel / tire package? I did not check the rolling diameters . . .)

Drag Strip launches (and even any aggressive acceleration with the front tires pointed anywhere but straight ahead and / or less than optimal surface grip) will likely be a challenge. But a freeway ramp merge may be pretty entertaining.

Just my opinion. We&#146;ll see in a few months.

- Ray

Wondering if an overnight extended Test Drive will be available . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    2nd gear start is part of the current CompG WS6 RPO.

If this is also part of the GXP package / option, this would mean that one could start in second gear at 0 mph and shift to 3rd at (looking at the gearing of the current CompG and the GXP) something close to 98 mph??????

More relevant (?) speculation:

With this gearing and HP / TQ, it looks possible that the GXP with 303 / 325 could be a (very?) low 14 second SS Quarter. And may hit the traps at the top of 2nd gear &#150; again at approx. 98 mph. Current CompG (260 / 280 HP / TQ) = 15.0 at 93 in C+D test.

- Ray

Well &#150; it was raining during lunch time . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Thanx Montanafan.
    From a typically reliable source:

$29.9K

- Ray

Thinking that's pretty reasonable . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Thanks, I'm going to be interested
    Where did everyone go?
    Been busy... and big disappointment. Went to PDX auto show today. Pontiac brought in a new Torrent but no GP GXP. The 2006 GTO still looks good, but I'm afraid 400hp would get me in way too much trouble. (plus no trunk to speak of) So, I'll wait and see what the new GXP does.
    The GXP does look like a nice set of wheels but I think I would go for a GTO as my kids are older now. No GTO in Canada though.
  • missourigrlmissourigrl Member Posts: 9
    I can't find this on any of the 04 or 05 Grand Prix's I've looked at. I know that it's an option but I thought there would be some out there with them. Do you have to order the car to get them or is it possible to have them put in afterward? Just curious because this is an option that I want on my next vehicle.

Thanks!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The air bags must be installed at the factory, so therefore the car must be ordered with them. You could search through GM Buypower for cars with the bags, but would have to view tons of window stickers to find them. Pickp the local dealer you want to buy from, have them run a locator to see if there is a car within the area that they could try to swap into their inventory. Or pick the options & colors you want and order the car yourself. Good Luck.
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    Greetings. I have a Ford Explore 1998 4X4 so I am

normally in that discussion group. I am thinking about trading to a grand Prix (used maybe 2 to 4 years old). Can you guys give me your opinion(s)

on the car(s) (Traction control, Handeling, performance, anything ......etc)

Thanks .....

email is washijl@auburn.edu
  • grandprix2000grandprix2000 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a cpu programmer for a 2000 Grand Prix with the 3.1 V6?

If so let me know.
    Wait until Ford puts in a more powerfull engine before buying a 500 which will be next year.

Drove a Ford Five Hundred, very nice car, but in my Humble Opinion it needs more then the Ford Taurus carry over 200hp V6. That engine doesn't cut the mustard in the larger-heavier 500. 300C easily much more powefull, not even a comparison. The AWD 500 model felt slow-sluggish off line. I believe 0-60 is nearly 9 seconds+ on AWD model.. pretty sloooow.

I think the regular 500 is 8.5 seconds.. which is adequate.. but... the competion is faster-

Oddyssey and Sienna minivans are faster more performance then 500 and are much larger-roomier
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I agree, 200HP is way too little for the 500. I'd also add to avoid the CVT transmission.

On paper it should provide better performance and better economy, but if you drive one and check the window sticker you'll find out that it fails on both aspects.

Besides, it's just plain annoying to listen the engine drone at high RPM without the expected corresponding pep.
    "I agree, 200HP is way too little for the 500. "

Back on the Grand Prix - specifically the 303 HP / 323 TQ GXP due to start production next month.

The only full road test of a CompG in the 3 major car magazines that I recall is the C+D test with 0 &#150; 60: 6.6 and SS Quarter: 15.0 at 93 MPH. (IIRC, Pontiac&#146;s claim at the time was 6.5 seconds for 0 &#150; 60.)

I believe that Pontiac has variously claimed 6 seconds and &#147;less than 6 seconds&#148; for 0 &#150; 60 on the GXP.

Given the difference in HP / TQ, roughly similar weights and utilization of the 2.93 final drive, I could believe 0 &#150; 60 in 5.8 or 5.9.

Although while here at work without my library (somewhat exalted term for a rather messy collection) of car reference material I have no sources to back it up, my recollection is that a 5 to 7 tenths quicker 0 &#150; 60 time is typically matched with a similarly quicker SS Quarter time. (All other factors being nearly the same.)

In this case, there is also a suggestion that the shifts, with the beefed up trans. will be quicker than in the CompG.

Thus, I&#146;ll predict / speculate that the GXP will likely post a 14.3 second quarter mile time. (Assuming a good launch.)

While not as quick as the Mustang GT Automatic (MT: 13.6 at 99.9!!) those numbers would indicate an acceleration capability that would be sufficient for my enjoyment. (I personally have no interest in a manual trans. in this car.) Particularly if this acceleration is accompanied by the distinctive, rumbling heterodyne beat of a 5.3L V8 exhaust.

I am also much more interested in roll-on, freeway merge, and high speed pass acceleration that 60&#146; times.

We&#146;ll see &#150; in a couple of months.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Admitted acceleration junkie . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Rayainsw,

That GXP V8 Grand Prix wll be nice.. but what is the price?? I have read that GM says it will be MORE $$ then the current CompG which starts at nearly $28k MSRP now. I hope they don't price themselves out of the market like the GXP bonny did.

BTW....It's very easy to modify a 1997 to 2005 GTP to run high 13's low 14's 1/4 mile times... Total price?? Under $1k. Pulley swap, reprogram, K&N, u bend replacement, thermostat etc... Cost you $1k, a lot cheaper then buying a GXP.

As long as you aren't hard on the car all the time it will hold up fine with the mods.

I will NEVER buy a Grand prix again unless they bring back a COUPE. In my opinion the 4 door looks too much like a rental-car.

Why since 1997 as Pontiac made the GTP look nearly identical to the GT?? Only dif is the GTP symbol on the doors on 1997-2003 or the GTP symbol on trunk of 2004 and on. They should have made more of a dif, like the PRE 1997

1997 GTP coupe
    2002 GTP coupe END OF an ERA, last 2 door currently..
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    You won't see a Grand Prix coupe again, at least not in the next 5-7 years. The G6 (low end) and GTO (high end) fill that slot. Coupes are a dying breed, with diminishing market share, so it doesn't make sense to spend $$$ to make one for each car model.

Of course the Grand Prix will probably be gone by 2008 or 2009. Hello G8 (RWD large car)...
    It's a little late for that advice. I have 12,500 miles on my AWD SEL Five Hundred. Two cars back, I owned a 98 Grand Prix GTP. Both are fine cars, in totally different ways....
    G6 is NOT a coupe so it doesn't count. The GM equivalent of the GTP coupe is the Monte Supercharged coupe, whic in my opinion is downright UGLY compared to the styling on my GTP.

20% of 2002 Grand Prix sales were coupes... thats pretty significant. GTO is priced noticeably higher. Why does GM still sell the Monte then? Or Honda still sells the Accord Coupe? Or Ford selling the Mustang then? Rumor is that GM will bring back the Camaro on the GTO chassis in a few years.....If coupes are a dying breed? What about the Corvette? Which is the best selling sports car.... or the new 350Z/G35 coupe?

Not all of us want minivans or Suv's or sedans...

In 2007 when I buy my next coupe it will probably be a GTO,, just have to spend the extra $$ argh!!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The G6 will have a coupe for the 06 model year.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    How are you liking it, particularly the CVT?

Did you consider the Mercury then?

TIA
    The CVT is one of my most favourite parts of the car. It is smooth, refined and greatly contributes to the fuel economy (with the AWD I have). The durability is an open question. I guess I'll find out!

I wish GM had put a better CVT in their ION, or offered one in cars the size of the Grand Prix. I am very happy with the Ford. I considered the Mercury, but was about to take several long trips (hence the already 12,500 miles on the Five Hundred) and couldn't wait for delivery for a Montego. Except for HID headlights and LED tail lights, the cars are functionally about the same, though the Mercury has a much prettier interior, in my book.

Feel free to come over and take a read in the Five Hundred forums. Very few people, though, would be interested in BOTH a Five Hundred and a Pontiac Grand Prix. I was one of them! :)

I might even have been interested in another Grand Prix GTP, if I could also get all wheel drive with it!
This discussion has been closed.