Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• skwillbskwillb Member Posts: 3
    Unless things have changed, Hyundai is, in reality, Mitsu technology - they have in the past purchased the "technology" from Mitsu and implemented it into their vehicles.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Im a very happy Mitsu owner. Proud original owner of a 1998 Mirage DE Coupe (A/T 1.5 12 valve 92hp) with 99k on the odometer. Never left me stranded and its reliable. More than my friend's 2000 V6 Accord. I love my Mirage, but my best friend bought a new 04 Galant DE. I drove it and its nice. Big and comfy. I like the looks and the 4 cyl is adequate. Inside too much hard plastic in my opinion but i like the styling. Mitsus made in Normal IL doesnt have remote fuel door release and the horns sound like old american cars unlike Mitsus made in Japan. And the switchger action is cheaper. Anyway.....i care about reliability. anyone had problems with the new versions? Im considering buying one. But i wonder if will be as reliable as my Mirage. Any comments welcome. Thanx!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Actually, that's not the case any longer. Hyundai stopped using Mitsu technology back in 1998. All of Hyundai's products use their own technology now. The tables will soon be turned since an engine designed by Hyundai is supposed to find its way into future Mitsu cars.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    You've got about twice the mileage of my 99 LS. I'll pass 100K in the next couple of weeks. I agree that the Galant is a great car. Mine is easily the best car I've ever owned.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • galant04lsgalant04ls Member Posts: 3
    And I absoluteley love it! It drives great, and if you are at all conserned with a newer version you could always purchase a warranty. I got a bumber to bumber warranty that covers just about everything......

I love my LS.....I like the 6 cyl...
  • gourdgourd Member Posts: 1
    I've had a '99 Galant and a '03 Galant and I love these cars. Never had a single probelm with them. The '99 had over 85K miles and the '03 has over 40K miles. Now I've seen this '06 Ralliart Galant and I'm in love all over again. Does anyone have any more info about it (price, options, etc.)??
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Member Posts: 69
    I've owned a Galant GTS for a little over a year now, my 1st Galant and I'm 100% satisfied. The Ralliart Galant was shown at SEMA last year and that Galant probably will go to production, but it will leave some of those high perfromance aspects behind, but it still will be competitive against the MazdaSpeed6 and SE-R Altima. The Ralliart Galant was billed as a bigger "version" of the EVO, minus the turbo. I do not expect the Ralliart Galant to come to production with the Brembo brakes and the forced induction system it has. But I would certainly add any upgraded Ralliart parts to my GTS. The price has to be less than $30,000 with options, dest, etc. for Mitsu to stay competitive.
    Just got back back from the New York Auto Show. My favorite cars that were there looked absolutely 1derful, starting with the Ralliart Galant/Endeavour, the new Eclipse . The Honda Ridgeline looked really really good, and of course the new M5 was there in all it's splendid glory along with the restyled 7 and the new 330i which looks better in person than in print. The Ralliart Galant looks awesome, the interior is just as upgraded as the exterior and the engine. Also the new Sonata looks awesome. The G6 GTP or GXP was there along with the G6 coupe and G6 convertible, both cars looked great but they look like the Solara. Great day today despite the rain, wind and of course the traffic. P.S. the Dogde Charger was there looks great has the Hemi, but it looks like a Stratus from the rear.
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Mitsubishi needed the 2004 redesigned Galant to be at least a double, instead it was a strike out. The front end with its ugly nose and, at least in base DE models, relatively cheap interiors needs to be improved for 06. I test drove an 04 Galant with the 2.4 four banger (a great, reliable engine) and found it to be a superior driving vehicle than the 3.5 V6 white-hot, best selling Chrysler 300 (the Galant base had more comfortable seats).
    Mitsubishi has a sloppy, inefficient product lineup, the Outlander should never have been born and the Endeavor should be about 10 inches shorter, its current size is too close to the Montero. Thankfully, Montero SPort and Diamante are gone.
    Mitsu can also learn from mistakes made by Pontiac with the slow selling G6 which replaced the moderately successful Grand Am. Mitsu must pinch every penny till it screams, it must become more efficient with product placement and design.
    I just sold a 97 Mirage with 79k, that first year of final generation of Mirage did not have power steering or even remote, non-power side mirrors or tilt wheel in base DE version. Really hurt resale value. Mirage was reliable but could not justify taking huge depreciation hit on buying new or nearly new Galant. Hope Mitsubishi makes it....
  • usaysousayso Member Posts: 25
    Pros: You'll not see another Galant on your route like you'll see 10 Accords and Camrys.
    Cons: You'll have a grin on your face and people will wonder why...

Bought a new 2004 Galant LS (MSRP $21,992) for Civic or Corolla price with $5,000 Customer/Loyalty rebates got it delivered below invoice for $14,800, that evens the playing field with Camrys and Accords. Resale then becomes a non-issue. V6 zoom, 0-60 in 6.8 seconds(MotorTrend), 23 mpg "city" is amazing, other fine features are Select shift auto, Red Pearl paint, ABS/Traction control, European handling, Free maintenance for 45,000 miles, Hypnotic Blue dash lights at night.

Not alls well, Premium fuel, Door plastics hard Dash difficult to armorall, ABS pedal feel and noise, No folddown rear seats, Steel wheels with ugly hubcaps, Just 25 mpg hwy, Zingy high frequency stereo, Poor FM reception, Sports coupe freeway ride, No techy bling like Projetor lens headlights or LED taillights or Electroluminescent dashboard or DVD audio or Steering wheel stereo/cruise controls.

Overall, It's not boring, it has attitude. It has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and 10 year drivetrain warranty longer than Lexus or Benz. And you'll enjoy placing your right foot into the floorboards transforming a hoh, hum commute into an amusement park ride. Ahhh a Smile forms on your face....
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    If you take a Look at the 04-'05 Galant you will see many design cues from higly sucessfull models--Current and Past Chrysler 300,The crease in the trunk lid,tall doors, same door handle, And other similar Sculpted Lines, The redesigned Galant took a whole different direction, from the more Jellybean shape, to a more tailored, hard lined look. It seems many cars are starting to take that approach, I for one like that look more, hard creases in the sheet metal, Makes it look more Musucular, and the tall doors sturdy looking and safer. I like the Galants Large Tall rear Bumper that extends into the rear 1/4 panel..The wheel well flares mimic the current Chrysler 300M, and the current Maxima..from the side the Galant has a short decklid.and a longer front..Just like the 300M..the rear door windows swoop at a 90 degree angle..Simalar to maximas..The only part that needs help on the current Galant is to remove the large crease in the hood, and maybe round off the area where the Mitsubishi emblem is..Good headlights though!! And the Interior Fabric in my (ES) looks cheap..but I say mitsu overall did a great job on the new Galant...especially along side the Ever boring Camry..and to a lesser extent ,Accord. The altima looks sloppy and back and the rear bumper hangs down to low...Galant's rear lamps are high and cornered...the Body line flows right into the rear lamps..and certain design theme on Galant also looks Passat-ish, Maxima-ish,Chryler 300-ish,Altima-ish.....Mitsu..wake up and Market your products...
  • cyberchulocyberchulo Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Galant. I've noticed lately that after I have turned my car off, my car alarm would chirp 4 time every 15 mintues or so. Do you guys have any idea what this means?

Thanks
  • stuckeystuckey Member Posts: 12
    How did you get such large rebates? I am a current 00 galant owner and am only aware of a $1500 rebate, plus $1000 loyalty rebate on new 05 galants.

Thanks, Mike
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "but I say mitsu overall did a great job on the new Galant...especially along side the Ever boring Camry..and to a lesser extent ,Accord"

I disagree. I own a '03 Galant and love the looks of it. However, the '04 is one ugly car. The sales numbers of the new Galant speak for themselves. They are WAY DOWN when compared to the old model. And the Camry and the Accord sell in far greater numbers. Yes, marketing plays a role-but that's not the problem here......
    Thanks for asking. I bought my '04 LS on January 30th..... And they had a $3,000 consumer rebate on 2004's and a $2,000 Loyalty rabate. That's the reason I bought.

I'm seeing Galants, ES, being blown out in Portland Oregon for $14, 499 this past weekend. And if you took the $1,000 Loyalty, $13,500!.... Amazing deals....

I love my ugly duckling... The styling is growing on me slowly, even the front is looking better. I've seen the '06 pics and all they did was take the Diamonte front end and attach it. So it will be years before they get this Galant looking better.

BUT it's the drive, it's the V6 motor, it's the handling, it's the smile it brings to your face when you pass 5 cars tapping 100 that really makes you enjoy this car. Where else can you find this power for this price point? Nothing selling for $15,000 comes close.

Drive the V6.....
    Drive the LS...
    You'll be happy....
  • lifebeckonslifebeckons Member Posts: 3
    Hi: I am new to this forum. I have a 2002 Galant ES 4 cylinder. The manual says that the minimum octane rating for the fuel should be 87. And that's what I have used so far.

Is there an advantage of using a higher octane fuel?

Also is it bad for the engine to keep using the 87 fuel?

Thanks

Michelle
    If you really lookes at the numbers you will see Mitsubishi Drastically cut it's fleet business, to strenghten resale and profit..obviously it will take some time..
    the 99-03 Galant was nice for it's time but it was a dated design, if you notice alot of newer cars follow the basic design of the '04 Galant,
    Pontiac's G6,Chrysler's 300 series, Nissan's maxima and Altima, Passat,and somewhat the New 2005 Avalon...they all share a blocky side profile, especially in the C pillar,rear quarter window 90 Degree angle..I will Agree the front end could have been softened up, but the rest of the car has a fresh new look...where alot of new design's are going, I receive nothing but compliments on my 2004 Galant....:)
  • scooter22scooter22 Member Posts: 1
    To anyone...my friend needs her brakes changed and I will be doing the job this weekend. She questioned me why her mechanic friend could not get the wheel off without the rotor coming with the wheel. So I guess my question is, is there a special lock on the wheel he overlooked? Or is there another possibility that could be causing this?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I find it hysterical when people say this "I receive nothing but compliments on my ".

Who do you think is really going to come up to you and be all "Wow, that is one butt-ugly car?". Certainly not strangers, and probably not friends.

Sean, you can make all the excuses you want about the Galant's sales, and no longer going to fleets, but I recall reading recently that Mitsu is still doing about 20% fleet sales of Galants, higher than Camry and far higher than Accord. The new Galant hasnt helped Mitsu, and it will continue to be hammered in the marketplace, especially with the introduction of the new Hyundai Sonata. The 2005 Galant has a great service package, a good warranty, and standard side airbags (And clearly, Mitsu is playing the options game, sure side airbags are standard, but to get ABS on a 4 cylinder model you have get it fully loaded- at an MSRP of over $24 grand). Otherwise, its nothing more than a good, unexceptional vehicle whose current supply far outstrips demand because it brings nothing new to the class, while unfortunately suffering from poor resale, poor reputation, and an uncertain future for Mitsubishi Motors in America. In today's market place, good isn't good enough.

Just for fun, here's my thoughts on the Galant when it first debuted in Fall 2003.
    alpha01, "Mitsubishi Galant" #1310, 17 Nov 2003 10:40 pm

~alpha
    "Sean, you can make all the excuses you want about the Galant's sales, and no longer going to fleets, but I recall reading recently that Mitsu is still doing about 20% fleet sales of Galants, higher than Camry and far higher than Accord."

I have to agree with Alpha. I have been to a Mitsu dealership-and there were several redesign '04's that were "off rental" (not dealer loaners) for sale on their used car lot. They were your standard ES models with the typical equipment. Asking $13,999. I bet you could get them "out the door" at $12,000.00 Talk about poor resale......But that's why I bought a '03 ES-it was CHEAP!!!
    Hi gang!

You're right if you buy right like I did '04 LS for $14,800 (V6 MSRP $21,992) you beat Accord and Camry which sell for at least $2,500+ more for the 4 cylinder versions, V6 would be at least another $3,500 more. Soooo, if I were to sell my '04 LS after 5 years it will be worth $8,200 at Trade-in values. My depreciation, $6,600.... While the Accord or Camry with V6 will depreciate to $8,900 and one's depreciation would be at least $11,000 from what they paid..... These Trade in Values are from Kelly for 2000 models with 50,000 miles in Good condition. Sooooo, you see Buy Low Sell Lower and still beat the class leaders at there own game...

Happy Motoring!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I have a top of the line 2003 LS V6 car w/ every option. If you look @ KBB numbers, my car actually went up on resale over last year. Mitsu was suffering quite a bit from that 000 backlash, and their entire product line took a hit. But people were starting to realize what great cars they were for stupid cheap low prices on the used market. There are plenty of the ES 4 cyl cars still out there from the rental fleets, but the LS V6's and GTZ's are a lot harder to find and starting to command higher resale values.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    ...but it's a nice dream to have - think of that beach house you always wanted and with Galant's increasing resale values it may be yours in a few years :)
    Hi Crac...
    What's a nice Isuzu/Pontiac guy doing in a place like this?

By the way, how much did you pay for your '04 GTO?

I've read folks buying them for $10,000 off MSRP..... using rebates and GM credit card discounts and secret slush funds that GM uses to push there product out the door.

Are you looking for another sedan or are you just thinking how can these guys be serious about this car?

Anyway, Happy Motoring!
  • serniterserniter Member Posts: 12
    I've been browsing through used car listings and find that Galants have attractive prices. Judging from this forum, I get the feeling some of them might have been rental cars. So, I'll probably stick to a private seller. Does anyone know if rental cars are usually the I4s or do they also use V6s? The other thing is long term reliability, as I need to keep the car for atleast 5 years. Typically I'm lookin at a '02 Galant with 30-40k miles on it for $8000. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.
    I purchased a previous rental Galant LS '03 with only 15,000 miles on it. Almost all "off rentals" will be the LS w/4cyl. I have purchased many makes of previous rentals through the years. All have been reliable. With my '03, I got the rest of the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and the 50,000 powertrain warranty. It now has 39,000 miles on it with no problems. With the "off rental" you get the remainder of the warranty---Where is the risk? I would think about spending an additional $1,000.00 to get you in to a one -year later model and a warranty.
  • serniterserniter Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Chuck1, appreciate the suggestions.
    I've always liked Galants (and Mitsus in general) and I test drove quite a few in the past... I was ready to pull a trigger on a new black 2004 Diamante VR-X for $19K plus TTT when my local Carmax was closing its Mitsubishi franchise last year but someone from NC snatched it from right under me. New Galants had nothing to offer over that car except the side airbags. They're still very much overpriced, no matter how anybody spins it or unless it's your LS for $15K...

Christmas eve I again had a chance to get that new Diamante (different vehicle of course) from another closing dealership for $20K OTD. I was torn between it and the other Australian-made vehicle 2004 GTO SE for $22K OTD... A two-year lease of $120/month (less than $3K total for 2 years) kinda sealed the deal for me, so I'm now driving my first "American" vehicle. It's true that incentives were unreal back then and I hope 2006 will bring something similar and I'll be able to drive 400hp for $20K for good :-)

http://www.cracovian.com/gto/

Get your GM card, spend $100 bucks, earn your five points, stop using it, and wait for the points to turn to $2000-$5000 each Nov/Dec...

Otherwise, I'll be back to my '92 Mighty Max that's sitting in my driveway collecting pollen right now - hehe.
    Hey Cracovian, you look really young in that pic! :) I actually like the GTO either with 350 or 400 hp, but I'm more of a sedan man. My GTS is still going strong 15 months old and 29,800 miles and so far so good. Still lookin' for a good set of rims might go with a black web design with 10 spokes and a thick chrome lip. P.S. dump Buick and keep Pontiac.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My 99 LS was sitting on an even 101000 this morning when I got in to work. No major work has been necessary other than a relatively cheap gasket repair with 80some thousand miles and even that was more preventive as it had not blown but had the tiniest of oil leaks.

I still average 23-25MPG in mixed driving and 25-27 straight highway, which is not bad at all from the 3L V6. I mostly use the recommended premium but sometimes use midgrade or even regular gas. Using regular I notice a slight decrease in performanace and maybe 0.5 or so less MPG but otherwise it runs fine; no engine knock or ping.

Everything on the car still works, from the AC to the sunroof to the CD player. No noticeable rust or cracks in the leather. Brakes were done as follows: fronts @ 22K (warranty), rear @ 60K, fronts @ 67K. Tires were replaced at 55K or so and are still going strong. Battery replaced after about 3.5 years. The muffler is original. I put in a K&N air filter to avoid buying one every 15K miles; no problems there.

Oh, I live in the Chicago area so it's seen it's share of road salt, cold weather, and hot weather. It's been garaged overnight the past 3 years but has never had issues from being left outside.

Really, while I like some of the new cars that have come out recently, I can't justify buying a new one when my Galant just offers everything I want (except traction control which wasn't available on the 99s) and has been paid off for 4 years.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    That's a lot of miles for only 15 months - you must really enjoy driving it :-) Have you kept track of your gas mileage? What are you averaging with that 3.8 liter? My 5.7l is getting a nice 25 MPG on the highway and ~10 in the city since I'm always in the hurry (plus I'm leasing it and have a short commute to my park'n'ride)...
    Yeah almost 30k. Everyone I know is like damn!, but my previous job from 2/04-11/04 I was a district manager and i had 40 Stop&Shops all on Long Island plus 2 in Brooklyn and 3 in Queens so on any given day I could travel 100-150 miles. Since November I put on about 4000 miles. I tracked my mileage for the first 3 months I had the car, and I averaged 20.3 mpg. And I was paying about $1.99/gal. I haven't tracked the mpg since last April, but i will start again and see where it's at. I had my 30K mile service about a month ago and all is good and my brakes were at I think he said 60%. As much as I love the GTS when I had to pay $2.60/gal for 91/93 about a month ago I WAS LIKE DAMN! Also after a year with the car I agree with something you said a loooong time ago that this is not a "family" sedan, but a car for an unmarried guy with no kids who dared to be different. P.S. one thing I did notice last night was the on my cluster pod with the speedometer, tach, and fuel/temp gauge, the entire cluster lights up in the cool blue, so you can see all the info, but the circular ring of light around the gas/temp is out. The speedo and tach are o.k. Might be a fuse or loose wire. I'll take it in at 31.5K when my next scheduled maint. is due.
    I plugged my info in KBB and My Galant actually increased from over 2 months ago, with 2400 miles, not much but It didn't decrease, I ran into an article www.suntimes.com/output/auto/carnews-mit13.html and stated mitsus problem started with millions in loan default from deadbeats "hey a new car and I don't have to pay for it" and that mitsus problems are in no way build and reliability, in fact they are somewhat overbuilt...not sure what that means...that's a huge reason why sales went dwn when the nixed the 0-0-0 disaster..Daimler pulling out sure didn't help...Enterprise has 04 Galants (2) and '04 Camry's (13) in my area and there is a $1,500 difference between the two...IMO the Galant has much better styling and good looks than Accord or Camry, Altima,I like the looks of the edgy well defined Galant much better, All very worthy cars..Sean
    I think all of us need to really consider what the "Kelly Blue Book" is. It is a guide only. As a matter of fact, most car dealers use the NADA guide and NOT the Kelly Blue Book. With used "previous Rentals '04's" (LSw/4 cyl) going for between 13 and 14K, I don't know how this can be considered "good news" for re :cry: sale by any stretch. Maybe Mitsu did cut back some in to fleets. but there are plenty of used '04's out there. GO FIGURE!!
    I don't think there's any doubt that Mitsubishis have the worst resale value next to Isuzu or Daewoo. No book or guide will matter when you trade yours in or sell it to your neighbor. If I were to buy one today, I'd buy it and keep it until the wheels fall off - that's what I do with all my cars anyway. If you care for resale value then you should have gotten the Accord (unless you got your Galant new for $10K off MSRP like some people did)...
    Although Carmax tends to be a bit on the high side, their prices are take it or leave it with no negotiations.

Low mileage 03 GTZ's are being sold for as much as $17,000 in some markets. The cars were only about 25 grand new, and mitsu had a ton of incentives and rebates back in 2003. That's good news for Mitsu owners.

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/searchengine/searchresults.asp?NewUsed=1&SearchType=0&CityMarket- =1&CityMarketLabel=Atlanta&Location=7104&LocationLabel=Norcross&HasCookie=true&PageType=1&- Make=MI&MakeLabel=Mitsubishi&Model=GALA&ModelLabel=Galant&Price=5&PriceLabel=Any+Price
    Low mileage 03 GTZ's are being sold for as much as $17,000 in some markets. The cars were only about 25 grand new, and mitsu had a ton of incentives and rebates back in 2003. That's good news for Mitsu owners.

No, it's only good news if you own a GTZ. Let's face it---these were sold in realitvily few numbers. The bulk of sales (for any given year) for Galants were always LS 4 cyl. The resale value of the GTZ's have no bearing on the other models.
    I think we all know that a ton of cheapo 4 cyl base Galants were sent to rental markets. The point was more about the resale on Mitsu's as a whole and people saying that they're worse than Daewoo or Hundai. That's simple not true.

But that doesn't discount the upswing in resale value and market presence on some of the other V6 Galants. Back in 2003, Mitsu was offering 3k in rebates & and you could buy a brand new 25 grand MSRP LSV6 ot GTZ car for about 19k off the showroom floor. It wasn't like Mitsu didn't make any LS V6's or GTZ's. They weren't that hard to find new. But even 4 cylinder cars with LS package command a pretty decent resale value right now.

My point was that these cars were way undervalued on the used market, and it's rare that used cars are actually going up in value. But that's what old body style Galants are doing right now.
    '04 Galants DX and ES are 4 cyl. 2.4 liter motored vehicles. All LS's and GTS are V6....

I have yet to see another Galant on the road around here and Enterprise doesn't use Galants in there fleet anywhere within 300 miles of me. So I don't expect to see the re-sale crash unless Mitsu folds and that is unlikely since they're sales are higher than those of recent past dead companies like Oldsmobile and Plymouth. Hopefully the '06 Eclipse and Raider pick-up are modest sales performers.

Also I find it interesting when reading reviews how everyone goes off about the Hyundai and Kia warranty being the kicker to buy one. YET Mitsu exceeds there warranties with free maintenance for 45,000 miles and no one mentions this or just barely says "Oh yea, nice warranty"...... Definitely Mitsu needs to step up and remind folks about this.

By the way have you noticed how the new Dodge Magnum copied the headlight shape of the new Galant? Thanks Chrysler....

Happy Motoring!
  • jakis420jakis420 Member Posts: 1
    do the galants come with a standard transmission?
    ">
    No...haven't had one for at least 7-8 years. Early 90's Galants had manuals.
    I'm about to purchase a new Galant and was unaware of the free maintenance offer you spoke of. Is that benefit currently standard on all new purchases or was that a promotional deal that requires meeting certain qualifications? I don't see any information about this on Mitsubishi's web page.

Thanks, Mike
    I just went to Mitsu's website and verified the maintenance program is no longer advertised there. This is very strange since its a good selling feature and there is no mention of its cancellation in the news releases! However, there is a press release that clearly states that the 3yr/45k free maintenance program would be extended to all 2005 models. You don't need to meet any qualifications to get it. It was simply part of the warranty coverage. I would ask your dealer to make sure the program wasn't somehow cancelled quietly. Legally though, your entitled to this maintenance package.
    While looking at Mitsu's website, I noticed that there is a new special edition in the Galant lineup. It has a very interesting mix of exterior and interior features for a darn good price. They basically took the 4 banger ES and added some of the styling from the GTS. I think the Infinity sound system would have made more sense then the base stereo though. And it would have been nice if the power sunroof and ABS were offered as an option. What's truly interesting is that Mitsu is really making this SE special as far as numbers go. They claim to be making less then 4000. Now when have you ever seen Honda do that with their "special editions"? So if this model interests you, you better snatch them up!
    Does anybody have any advice on a Mitsubishi to Mitsubishi trade..i have a 2004 GAlant ES which has 22k in excellent shape, I basically want a 2005 Galant ES w/moonroof and alloys...will I get a better deal considering I would be trading a Mitsu in?, our local Mitsu dealer has no used Galant's, and never does seem to, for that matter I rarely see a 2004+ gALANT for sale on any lot, Any high owner loyalty rebates for current Mitsu owners? I'm not looking for a big difference in price..considering its basically the same car..but I would like a Different color ES with the 10spoke alloys and moonroof...does it being the end of the month help, will dealer be more willing to deal?
    I know if you buy an ES with 10spoke already on sticker its only $300 more (alomost all ES's at local dealer have them)
    BTW...the Accord has an awesome interior even in the homely LX edition..just cant get beyond the frumpy exterior..any ideas ,Thanks sean
    Do you know where I can get my hands on this news release? I close on the deal today and would like there to be a clear understanding with the dealership that this service is part of the warranty.

Thanks for your help, Mike
    Here ya go!

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2004110239961&mime=ASC

Good luck on getting a good deal and let us know which model you get and which color.
  • westonchickwestonchick Member Posts: 3
    Ok, so i'm buying a used 2001 galant ... i'm getting a fabulous deal i must say, but i do have some questions that i need hel answering. #1) i know that there is an option on the 2001 galants for the infiniti speaker package. the previous owners don't know what kind of speakers it has because they bought it right off the lot ... how do i find this out? #2) i'd like to spice it up ... spoiler, tinted windowns, maybe side skirts etc ... is there a website out there where i can virtually do these things to see what it looks like? and last but not least what can i expect from this car? it's a 2001 like i said and it has 100K ... mostly highway miles though ... any insight would be greatly appreciated! ~westonchick
  • outlander1outlander1 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2003 Gallant ES with 4 cyl engine. Great car and the price was right, under 9k.
    1. The car has 48,000 miles on it, is their any remaining warranty on it?
    2. Is there any trouble area's that I should be concerned with? (Tranny, engine, brakes...)

I am planning on changing all the fluids and doing a more thorough check. Who ever installed the new tires put the lug nuts on so tight I had to stand on the tire iron to remove them and then could not get the tire off so I am going over everything to see if that is a trend.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi Sean,

I just checked Kelly Blue here and your vehicle in excellent condition is "trade-in" valued from $11,185 to $12,000. Considering in the Portland Oregon paper over the weekend ( no sales tax in Oregon) a Mitsu dealer had a new '05 ES with alloys for $14,989.... No sunroof or choice of wheels or exterior color but this provides a clue to how dealers are aggressively pricing '05 Gallants out here. Also it's a new month and new Loyalty and rebate programs may begin. You'll have to check the Mitsu website. You may want to consider an aftermarket sunroof to be installed. They're much better today and you can get some with huge openings. I saw one in a crew-cab pickup that had a huge sky view on Spike TV's "Trucks" show. Sunroofs run about $1,000 extra yet I'm not familiar with the package on the ES. And yes end of month does help with the deal. May is one of the best months of the year to get a new car deal because of Memorial day sales.. So if you didn't buy over the weekend don't give up. Have fun with the deal, shop early in the day, 8AM, you'll get a sales manager more likely to work with (you want the salesman to be at there morning meeting) and the deal will fly, no BS. Call ahead and get the internet or fleet managers price, show up and drive the car with the fleet guy, but don't buy it then, make them believe you have other cars to shop for like the Accord. And then come back at dawn on a Saturday morning and you should be driving out of there by 10AM.... They're extremely busy Saturdays, the fleet guy won't be in (they usually have 9-6 weekday hours), the salesmen are at a meeting, you've driven the car, a price has been bandied about, more than likely a Sales mgr. will take the deal as little has to be done except write up the deal. You'll love being first into the finance office no waiting and off the lot in less than 2 hours....