Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• Options
    drod2045drod2045 Member Posts: 39
    Infiniti, if not for the 03 model year than certainly for the 04 model year, will make many minor changes to fix the car out now. Things like gearing will probably be worked on as well as the suspension stiffness.

BTW, the car does its advertised 0-60 time. its not a lie so let that be clear to people who still did not know that :)
  • Options
    Oh and for 04 or sometime after that, there will be a high performance Q45 wih over 400hp. it was suppossed to be for 03 but since Infiniti wants to improve the 'normal' models, theyre going to push back the hi-po Q release date.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Sounds good 400+ HP, I can live with that. Are you sure about the 0-60 in 5.9? I look forward to owning a Q one day, although the next generation Lexus GS430 (2004) might be a crowd plea seer too.

drod2045 what is your source for the future of the Q's performance?
  • Options
    a pretty good one- thats my source. :)
  • Options
    conservationisconservationis Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    conservationisconservationis Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the purchase of a '98 q45t. Its a beautiful car, but I'm concerned about winter driving with this car. I've been told by a few owners that this is a real problem. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    drummerboy2drummerboy2 Member Posts: 5
    I have considered buying a 1993 Q45 for approximately $8K. I don't have the money for a newer model. Just had a baby Boy and need a 4-door car. I have read almost every subject and could not find one about the 1993 model Q45. The car has 93K miles and is in great shape. Should I or shouldn't I? What kind of problems will I get into?
    Please respond in a hurry! Thanks,
    Drummerboy2
  • Options
    I drove a 93 for awhile several years back. My old boss owned the car and I drove it for weeks at a time. He sold it with 35K miles and said the car was maintence free. I too enjoyed this rocket ship and considered buying a used 96 (same car).

Try autotrader.com and see what a similar Q is selling for, also check kbb.com for trade in values. If you don't have a friend or a local mechanic to work on the car as little things need replacement then you will be screwed. The dealer is expensive, so only buy after you run the vin # with Infiniti for service history and carfax.com ($20.00) to see if the car has been in a accident. You also may want to call a local dealer and ask the service manager about recalls and his personal experience with repairing these cars

For 8k you can get a reliable 95/96 Camry or Accord with little and low cost repairs.
  • Options
    Thanks jimxo,

I have taken your ideas into consideration. The Dealer where the car has been serviced is fairly close, 45mi. Also, I would be the 3rd owner. I have checked with Carfax before but I think we will go straight to the dealer and ask questions. The car rode great and is extremely roomy and comfortable, but I am worried about the mileage. I suppose the car could give me my moneys worth? I might get lucky. Since we live in the Mountains I may consider another type. Do you know anything about the timing chains? How about the suspension fixes?
    Take it easy!
  • Options
    I cant say if the Q is a belt or a chain. Timing chains usually last a lot longer than belts which need replacement around 60k. Honda for example you MUST replace the belt, if you let it go and it fails you will crush the valves and a $200 job is now $1,200.00.

The mileage is average 12k annually (except me around 25k). I feel a V8 well maintained will last as long as you want. As for suspension I would call around and get prices.

If the car is clean and you can do some of the repairs yourself or a friend it's ok, however if the dealer is your only source for repair that will be expensive. Do plenty of research it may be worth your time.

Good luck!
  • Options
    sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Drummerboy2:

I sold my 93 last August with 85k miles on it. I bought it when it was one yr. old and had 18k miles on it. In six years I never had to replace as much as a light bulb. These are very reliable cars...

But you should make sure that the car was regularly serviced. I certainly wouldn't want one that had never had the tranny fluid changed, for instance. Big service items would be the timing belt and the fuel injectors, but the injectors may last for a very long time (200k) without replacement. They may also last considerably less...Plug wires are very expensive as well, since they each have an individual coil. But I wouldn't worry too much about the suspension. That caveat is meant for the active suspension cars, which you should probably avoid on your budget.

The buyer of my 93 has had no problem with the car either, but at that age and milage, as with any used car, you'll need a little luck. Verifying that the car has been regularly serviced will increase the chances of being "lucky".

BTW, after I sold the Q45 I bought a two yr old BMW 740i with 13.6k miles on it. After four trips to the dealer for repairs in one year I'm thinking Infiniti deserved my loyalty.

DB
  • Options
    I now this sounds crazy, however if sales of the new Q do not pick up over the next few years would Nissan pull the plug?

This car has a lot to offer, but Lexus and BMW are stronger than ever before. What's a car company to do? The poor marketing in the past and disappointment in the second generation may have caused damage that is not worth fixing?

Poor resale value certainly will not draw consumer's into dealer show rooms. I love this car as it is today, smooth, quick, sexy and athletic looking. If the stigma in people's brains is Q forty what? Then Infiniti has a way to go.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice sysadb and jimxo,

I have not bought into the Infinity yet. Mileage is eating at my brains. Love the car though. The V8 power was asstounding. I have an old Wagoneer with a 401 and a Mercedes 450SL with the 4.5 V8. Today I drove a Mercedes 300SD in great shape. What a slug!! Great for road protection and safety. Considering the Mercedes Diesel but also with many miles. Good price though!
    Back to Infinity,
    Comfortable and yes it has a timing chain. Should last forever until it stretches to far then $800??
    Thought about a Jag, but after reading to many horror stories I wouldn't dare.
    So, maybe I will stop by again and see the Infinity considering it is still for sale. The owner will not go below $8000. He said he'd rather keep it.
    Thanks again,

Drummerboy2
  • Options
    raprorapro Member Posts: 30
    Before you buy check out the "infinitiownersclub" at yahoo.com. It's one of the best car clubs on the internet. You'll find anything you need there.

I can give you a quick lowdown. By-and-large the Qs are very reliable, as reliable as Lexus in the long run. However when the things go wrong the Q is very expensive to fix. 93 Q is the first generation (90-93). These cars had two major weaknesses, the transmission was a little weak (would often go before 100k) and they had a problem with the timing chain guides. In general it's recommended by the experts at the club (not the dealers who will tell you not to worry until the chain guides break and destroy the engine) to change the guides as soon as you buy the car (if it hasn't been done already). Both these jobs (guides and tranny) are in the 2-3k range. If they were done on the car you're looking at then it's two good reasons to get the car. But do not think under any circumstances that the maintenance cost are cheap like for an Accord or Camry for this car. All luxury cars are very expensive to maintain, the Infiniti and lexus being much cheaper in the long run the the Germans (Audi,BMW,MB). Other than that it's a fabulous car.
  • Options
    matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    I would like to hear from people who purchased the 2002 Q45....I am thinking about purchasing one and whould like to know what you think of the car? Are the dealers discounting, Is the Ac cold enough, what about the transmision. (Is this stuff true or not)

I would like to hear something, anything about the new Q, there doesn't seem to be much talk about in the forums...

Thanks,
  • Options
    coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    For 2002 BMW is moving there base price from around 65k to over 71k, for a base model, not longer wheel base or anything. Yes some people will be willing to pay it, but for many it takes one less competitor away from the infiniti, maybe this will help the Q's sales. I am a loyal BMW driver, but I am considering a Q for my next car, deeply considering.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    if you live in a warm climate (i.e., Fl., Az., or Ca.), the A/C SUCKS! It is why I didn't buy one for my wife. I have posted on this board before about it and have test driven three of them. I have also spoken to local owners of the car and although they generally LOVE the car, they acknowlege this is a problem.
  • Options
    cars26tampacars26tampa Member Posts: 5
    I went to my local Infiniti dealership, where I also purchased a 00 I30t, and was disappointed to be told that I couldn't drive a Q45 for a day to see if I really like it. I was told they don't have vehicles to use a demonstrators. Very disappointing to hear when you want to spend almost $60,000 on their vehicle.
  • Options
    cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    I had the same experience here in South Jersey. Although the dealer said they had a demo car available, they do not allow it out for more than 1 hour. That's not much more than an extended test drive, and not very useful. Doesn't seem to make sense if they have the car available. I would think that with such an expensive car that is selling so poorly, they would bend over backwards to woo potential buyers. I know first hand that the local Lexus dealer allows you to take a demo out for an entire weekend, and have also been told that Mercedes and BMW do the same. I guess maybe Infiniti really doesn't want to compete after all.
  • Options
    vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    I've driven the Q45 twice. They offered the test drive before I asked, and for as long as I wanted.
    August is as hot as you know where.....in Tampa, and the A/C was extremely cold.

I almost forgot.
    The second time I rode to the dealer on my bicycle. I cycle quite a bit. I also get a kick out of seeing how I am treated when I ride up on a bike. It's very revealing. I was treated very well at Infiniti. I left my helmet on for the test drive. That was great.
    One time I was treated badly at BMW after arriving on my bike. So one day I was driving by and stopped to show them a few bank statements with several hundred thousand dollars on deposit. I think they understood.
  • Options
    q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    the 3,000th 2002 Q45 will be sold in 6.5 months roughly 1/6 of the rate of the new LS430.
    As an owner of a 90Q bought in June 1990 currently with 224,700 miles, each year I keep hoping that they will finally build a better car to force me to upgrade.
    My maintenance and repair costs are still a long way from equalling the [$36k] purchase price in 90 roughly 13.4 cents per mile to keep it mechanically perfect [too a much higher standard than 99.9% on the road].
    After $5,000 worth of brake, suspension, engine ecu, differential, and tranny modifications it out brakes, out handles, and out accelerates the new model ! But the ride is a little rougher.
  • Options
    What would get the Q45 to more respectable status.
    Styling will certainly be left to the individual buyer, however the Q's past quality and poor resale value continue to stay in the heads of the consumer. I personally love the new Q and may pick one up myself in a few years (used) with the strongest of extended warranties. Lexus has done a great job overall where Infiniti has not, the future in gray.
  • Options
    Not a good sign for Infiniti.
  • Options
    l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Does anyone know whether the 2002 Q rear vents can blow at a different temperature than the front vents? I know the front is dual zone, but are the back vents independent dual zones. (Quad zone temperature controls?)

The Q doesn't look bad with the Sport package. Does the Premium package also include the Sport package? I like the outline lights in the Sport but want the features in the Premium.
  • Options
    aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    If the G35 doesn't turn into a blockbuster, then I'd think Infiniti is steps away from getting axed completely.
  • Options
    zeliforpzeliforp Member Posts: 44
    Keep in mind that Infiniti is merely a marketing division of Nissan (similar to Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda). The "deep pockets" that Nissan has, combined with the strong sales of the I-series, should allow them to keep the Infiniti brand around until it can make up for the lost time caused by the advertising and product placement mis-steps of the late 90's. (Well, maybe I should say "deeper" pockets, since they are a bit deeper than they were a year ago.)

It wouldn't be smart business sense to hinge the existence of the brand on an unproven $55,000 car, so I don't think Nissan/Infiniti would do that. The sales of the 2002 Q are low, but they are higher than the sales of the generation before it and keep in mind that production numbers were kept purposefully low. I think people thought the 2002 Q would arrive and outsell the BMW 5-series and Lexus LS430, but I'm not sure if that was Infiniti's plan. A few years from now, maybe, but right now I think they are focused on re-establishing the reputation of the Q.

Remember Ghosn's quote last year about "No more rebadged Nissans" when he was talking about Infiniti's future... They have some more work to do with moving all their cars to RWD and cutting out the platform sharing before Infiniti is where it needs to be. I can see them sitting pretty in 3-4 years, but until then there will be some bargains to be had...
  • Options
    klippertklippert Member Posts: 4
    I agree with jimxo. Nothing of value on this board for weeks. I am in the market for a Q45 in January but have seen no current dealer pricing or comments on how new owners like the car since DonFenn last summer. Does anyone know of lease deals or significant discounts or is Infinity continuing to bury its head in the sand on how to move this car. The new pricing of the Premium Package with inclusion of cruise control and backup camera kind of went in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    I am also dissappointed by the lack of postings by current owners regarding their experiences with their purchases and ownership thus far. Also looking to possibly purchase in Jan when the lease on my '99 GS300 is up. I have never seen this type of "silence" on the Lexus GS board, which I have been following, and occasionally contributing to, for 3 1/2 years since first starting to consider that car. Granted, there are far more GS owners than 2002 Q owners, but still, this borders on pathetic.

To follow-up my previous post regarding the availability of a Q-45 demo (Post 523), after following up with the local dealer, it turned out that the person who told me that a car was only allowed out for 1 hour didn't know what he was talking about. They allow the demo to go out for an entire day, just not overnight for insurance reasons - not unreasonable. So. . .

I picked up the demo at 9:30 this past Sat morning, and returned it at 4:30 that afternoon. In between, I put quite a few miles on it in different driving settings. This car does not dissappoint. It has power to spare and them some. Accelerating from 55mph, I was going nearly 100mph before I realized it, and the ride is so smooth you think your going 45. I had no interest in the Nav system until I played with it a bit. It works quite well, but is still an extravagance I don't need. Exterior styling is still a bit unexciting, but then again, so am I! About the only dissappointment was the stereo. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but I expected to be blown away. The Mark Levinson that Lexus offers is many orders of magnitude better.

Still not sure if I'm going to go for the Q or a new GS. I know the Q is more in line with the LS, but I hate the way that one looks.
  • Options
    Your lease is up a year to early. The GS is due to release the third generation next year. My budget only allow's for 35K, so I'm anxious to get my hands on something pre-driven in a few years. For now I'll live with my 2k Maxima, which I have been very impressed with. A GS430 or Q45 will be on my shopping list for sure.
  • Options
    l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Just because the topic isn't hit all the time doesn't mean its a bad car. The BMW 7-Series and Audi A8 topics rarely get hit either and they are exceptional cars. The Q is just not a mainstream car.
  • Options
    matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    I have been a long time advocate about the Q45. I am on my 2nd Q and will probably get my 3rd (2002 Q)next summer.
    There is nothing negative to say about this car. My 94 still runs like new and the service I receive at the dealership is fantastic!
    Anyway, the best lease deal that I have seen for the new Q is $2610 down $699 month, 39 months, 12 miles. This deal is in Maryland.
    I too would also, like to hear from current 2002Q owners to see how they rate the car.
  • Options
    The Q stands for quiet, very quiet.
  • Options
    mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Some Infiniti dealers including the one where I work are offering long term test drives. Long term meaning 3-5 days to well qualified customers.
  • Options
    Well, I finally decided what to replace my 1999 Lexus GS300 with. As I have posted previously, it was coming down to another GS or the Q. Well, I finally choose: The S-Type 4.0 Sport. Yup, a Jag. I had always loved what they looked like since they came out, and decided to check it out "just to be thorough" in my search. The car was spectacular, and now it is in my garage.

Yes I know that the Q and the S are VERY different cars, but even so it was very hard to make up my mind which one to get (notice that Lexus was eliminated from the equation -- the 2002 GS is for all intents and purposes identical to my 1999, and I wanted a change).

In the final analysis, the Q was more luxurious, quiet and comfortable than the S, but ho-hum styling and not much character. The S is the best looking car on the road, and is the most fun to drive car I have ever been in. And while historically Infiniti's reliability is far greater than Jag's (which was a major concern at first), in recent years, Jag has moved up into the top 5.

In the end, my different hemispheres couldn't make up their mind, so I left it up to the dealers to decide for me. They each knew that I was torn between the two cars and would in reality be happy with either one. Ultimately, I told them both that I would come in that evening (end of the month) and do the paper work for whoever gave me the better deal. They each knew I had done extensive homework and had access to even more numbers and data than most. The Jag dealer's opening bid was on the LOW end of what I decided I would pay for that car, while the Infiniti dealer took very little off MSRP. When I told him he wasn't even in the ball park, he turned typical car salesman "what do we need to do to get you into this car. . ." I was very turned off.

From the first visit to Infiniti, the approach, while very soft-sell, was one that made me feel like I was seen only as a checkbook. The ridiculous opening bid for a car, terrific as it is, that is selling horribly (3.4/month/dealership through October) and has historically terrible resale was the final straw. I am sure not all dealerships are this way, but this one was and they lost a sale because of it. Through the whole process, I felt that I was treated with much more respect and dignity by the Jag dealer.

I already have 1100 miles on my new Jag (100 mile commute daily), and love it more every day. I am sure that I also would have loved the Q. They each appeal to different sides of my personality. Maybe I should get one of each??
  • Options
    boudreaux78734boudreaux78734 Member Posts: 1
    Was one of the first in Austin to buy one.

We love the car and have had no problems at all. The performance, handling, and ride are fantastic.

The Bose stereo system is amazingly clear.

We got the Premium package with 18" tires and the car hugs the road through tough curves like it was on rails.

The navigation system is one of my favorite features and the we use the rear view camera daily.
  • Options
    Every car company and its employees read internet message boards including Edmunds town hall. It is a great way to get honest feedback from owners about there level of satisfaction and if they will buy your product again. That said, what in the heck is up with the Q45? This car is not talked about at Edmunds, Yahoo or Nissan web sites. I can only say that the marketing of this car seems to have generated little interest in grabbing the attention of Lexus, BMW or MB customers. The Q has not had a stellar year with its new design, but it may have to do with people who would normally buy a luxury sedans are now buying SUV or sports cars.

Personally I love the car, however I still may choose something else. I pray your long term strategy works out and the car improves on it's resale value and popularity.
  • Options
    caddylovercaddylover Member Posts: 5
    I've decided it is time to upgrade vehicles, and the Q has been a 'top fiver' for me since it came out. The others, I'll never touch...so...here is a bit of history on me, and some questions.

Current cars are: '85 Fleetwood Brougham (just love old RWD Caddies, but it's gonna die someday), '95 Intrepid ES (wife's car), '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara (5-speed isn't 'playing nice' with the 'fixed' elbow (broken in four places), and we don't need 4wd in Portland (came from Denver area)).

That being said, while I could buy a new Q, it just doesn't 'do' it for me. Plus, for the price, I can buy my wife a new RX300, me a used Q, and still come in under a new Q's price.

Now, while I'd *love* to have an 'A' car (active-suspension), I'm more than a bit concerned about it's reliabilty, and cost to repair. Feedback? I looked at purchasing a '91-'92 Q45A about 5 years ago, but passed on it. My wife, then serious girlfriend, thought the ride in the backseat was absolutely punishing. Occured to me later, there might have been something wrong with that particular car. Regardless, it would have been hopeless in a foot of unplowed Colorado mountain snow, so I did the right thing.

I'm looking for feedback on what goes wrong, and when. Prices to fix would be nice, also. Given the car's less than stellar sales, there is not much info on it out there, which is quite unfortunate, given how competent a car it is. There has to be at least one big item which affects all of them...for example, on my wife's '95 Intrepid (3.5L motor), the transmissions were known to be weak. We were lucky, and still have the original at 103K. On the Caddy, it's the cheesy 4.1L GM grenade, er, I mean 'engine'. This one is on #2, and it has a whopping 99K on it. First one lasted 48K, so it's due. ;-) The Suzuki is cursed by horrid depreciation...50% in the first two years....

I'd like to buy an ultra-low mileage Q in gray, silver, or pearl white, with gray or ivory interior (heated seats would be nice), if anyone knows of one in the Pac NW (Portland area). I'm going to have to swing by the local Infiniti dealer and see if it still 'fits'. We had a wicked motorcycle wreck ealier this year, and entry/exit can be tricky with certain vehicles (hence the RX300 for my wife...she hates SUV's, but it 'fits').

Thanks! (maybe I can stir up *some* action on this board ;-) )

KB
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    The new Q's problem is in it's target audience. I personally think Infiniti made a great car. It'll be great for me in 3 years because I plan on trading in my 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5SE for a used Q45.

However, while Lexus hit the bulls eye with it's LS430.. I think it's a replacement of the old Benz S-Class, it's got that big car presence, the Q45 is too boy-racer like. Performance is great but it doesn't have to look like it's fast. The dudes with the rolls of coin doesn't seem to like that. What about a conservatively styled car with a "big" car like presence and gobs of speed? That's the philosophy behind Bentleys and Rolls Royces as well as BMW, Lexus and M-B and it's seems like it's working pretty good. Maybe Infiniti should target that goal.

Either way, I'll love the deal in 3 years.
  • Options
    basalratebasalrate Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the purchase of a '99 Q45t w/33K miles from a used car dealer who is asking $22,900. It seems like a good price but I would appreciate feedback on the price and anything in particular I should look for. I've always liked the Q and since they don't hold their value very well I think you get alot of car for the money.
  • Options
    Yes, that sounds like a good deal. Check with NADA.COM & KBB.COM. I would also check with Autotrader.com for similar cars and asking prices.

For 22k you can also buy a new Taurus or Accord, but a slightly used Q45 for the same money is a steal.
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    Buying a '99 Q45 is a fantastic idea..especially at that price.

Do me a favor basalrate, test drive the 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE (I own one) and the Q that you're interested in.

Let me know how much better the new Q is. I bet you that the Q will be a 1000 times better. That'll put the value of the car you're buying in perspective.

I'm going to be trading my car in for a used Q too in 3 years too. You just get a much better car for the same money.

I bought a '93 J30t in '96 and I think that that car overall is still better than my 2002 Altima. I love the power and the roominess of my car but otherwise the J30t was better.
  • Options
    caddylovercaddylover Member Posts: 5
    The only 'problem' I see with that deal is that the '99's were a bit underpowered for their weight. 266 hp and a bit over 4000 pounds. I know, it's not supposed to be a drag-racing machine, but I was hoping for better than 0-60's of 8.6 seconds... This is why I'd rather have a '95, but I have to admit, that is an *awesome* deal. There is a '97 here for $18.5K which I'm planning to check out this weekend...hope it doesn't catch me in a weak spot. ;-) More than anything, I want to 'feel out' the newer versions. As you can tell by my 'name', I dig on the comfort aspect....
  • Options
    kappaman1kappaman1 Member Posts: 18
    This sounds like a great deal. I've done quite a bit of research, and if you can get the car at that price, then go for it. The Q45 suffers from poor marketing. If marketing could only perform as well as the car. What are they thinking.
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I am in the market now. The Lexus isn't as fun to drive, but I don't think I can afford the big depreciation hit on the Infiniti. Besides, I already have owned an Infiniti. (Audi,currently)
  • Options
    Their is no way to know what the depreciation of the new Q will be. It is not an overpriced non competitive car with $7,000 dealer cash like the previous model.

You admit it is a better car for you than the lexus. So lease it and let Infiniti take the risk. They are betting a residual in the high 50's about the same as lexus and on a car with a $10,000 lower sticker. That way if they were wrong and the car depriciates more than that give it back. If they were right and it has good residual buy it.

Leasing eliminates any depriciation risk.
  • Options
    markhamptonmarkhampton Member Posts: 74
    When I checked in August, the residual for the 2002 Q45 was 52% for a 39 month lease -- a fair bit lower than BMW's 62%. I'm surprised to hear Lexus' residual is in the 50's.. Is that a quote from a dealer, or opinion?

I felt 52% was awfully low for the Q, but there it was in black and white. The residual made the lease cost high enough so that I lost interest. Heck even lowly Cadillac sets their Deville at 49% for the same period. Can't Infiniti do better than 52%?

The point is this: If Infiniti doesn't have any faith that the car will hold its value, why should we?
  • Options
    thommas1thommas1 Member Posts: 1
    I really like my 1998 Q45 and the Customer Service I have received except for one problem Infiniti seems to be unable to repair for me over the past 18 months. When the outside temperature is between 50 to 65 degrees, especially at night it has an occasional tendency to blow air conditioned (cold) air, even from the floor (heater). Its like the car thinks its blowing heated air but its blowing cold air. The problem comes and goes, but when its there it is very uncomfortable and it fogs up the windows. Infiniti tells me they can find what I'm talking about, and Infiniti's Corporate Customer Service tells me to try a different dealerships Service Dept. and they will not cover an outside AC specialist to look it over on the extended warranty. Has any one else run into this problem????
  • Options
    peteri1peteri1 Member Posts: 21
    Having just received quotes on all three in IL:
    LS--15K miles/39 month--53%
    Q45--15K miles/39 month--57% (probably subsidized)
    540i--15K miles/36 month--61% (definitely subsidized in last year of current style)

Lexus is conservative in their residual. However, since there's such a huge spread between what you'll normally pay and sticker (can be high as a $10K swing) you benefit. Residual is based on MSRP.

The Q is just not moving. The BMW is a BMW--always will be a highly rated enthusiast car. Remember, the 540i (if that's the comparable vehicle) has a $1300 gas guzzler tax attached when you order the sport pckg option.
  • Options
    I work at a small dealer in PA and we have gone from selling 4-6 Q45's a year, to 2-4 a month with the introduction of the new model. Check your lease rates again. Infiniti is much more competative.

The Q is an absolutly fantastic car, but it is going to take some time to expunge the memories of the previous generation car.
  • Options
    alibidalibid Member Posts: 5
    I'm going to be taking a look at a pearl white '97 Q45 with about 74,000 miles on the odometer. I can get it for a good price ($15,500), but was wondering how this first year of the second generation Q45 compares to a '95 or '96 in terms of engine power, ride comfort, interior room, etc. I've driven a few '94 Q45's and like the power and sporty feel of that car (sporty relative to an LS400, that is). From what I've read, Infiniti softened the car quite a bit for 1997 and diluted the power a little by going to a smaller V8 engine. Is the acceleration still pretty strong? Are there any problem areas I should be aware of for this first year model of the newer body style?

Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.