Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• tegacaytegacay Member Posts: 1
    I have two 1991 Q45's. Actually one is a Q45a.

I would like to take some things off of one and add them on the other.

1 - Is it possible to take the 10 CD changer with the control built into the center console out and install in the other?

2 - Also, neither drivers power seat controls work. Does anyone know the best way to get these working?

3 - How do I take the wood grain off of the instrument panel and put it on the other car?

4 - Finally, when I turn I get a pulling of the tires like the power steering has a catch in it. It does it whichever way I turn and although it does not cause me to lose control it is a gentle jerking feeling.

Thanks for any help
  • q45ridaq45rida Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my '95 Q45. Have you found some resolve to your issue. I have been to three different mechs. and have gotten three different answers. please help if you can.

Thank You,

Q45rida
  • q45ridaq45rida Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Q45 and it seems to studder and or lag when riding down the road. I have been told it may be my fuel pump, fuel system modulator (computer), spark plugs, injectors, fuel pump relay, fuel injector relay. I have cleaned my fuel system and changed the fuel filter and air filter, to no resolve. Can someone help me in the resolve of my problem, at least lead me in the right direction. I'm getting tired of riding down the road as if I'm bucking on a wild horse, plus my dates are very uncomfortable.

Thanks
  • doctor333cadoctor333ca Member Posts: 1
    I have (3) 1994 q45's
    I think you have to send to clean you "air flow" meter that's what my garage "friend" told me he did
    Great cars
  • romeo5kromeo5k Member Posts: 1
    You know what yall, i just got a Q45 with 146k miles for $2k. And i think its a good deal because nothing is wrong that i know of so far. But now, im pissed,c ause the dealership is telling me 140$ just to raie hood and put on computer. I was like hells naw. But i need to know what would cause a slip light to come on and what would cause the TCS light to stay on and not come off. And also, What will fix that delay in acceleration. That getts on my last nervers. It studders like i put bad gas, but im using super, then wen i mash the gash to pick up sped quick, it may go up to 4000 rpm then will immmediately come down to 2.500 rpm. So what to do?
  • zacozaco Member Posts: 1
    I have 1997 Q45 and overall it work perfectly well. It has already gotten around 120,000 miles. Just recently a power recliner switch on the right front seat stopped to work. The seat is in a very inconvenient vertical position, and I cannot move it manually. At a dealership I was told that one of the seat's motors that reclines the seat is broken. To replace it, I would need to pay around $500 including labor. Any suggestion on how to reduce this cost? Where I can buy this motor myself? Is there any way that I can move and recline seat manually?
    Thank you in advance for your help.
  • qtee1qtee1 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: Hi, I am new to this forum and found you because of a possible serious oil consumption problem. I have a 2002 Q45 that I leased for 3 years and have since purchased because I truly loved it. It is spacious, runs so well. luxurious and still gets heads to turn (I believe those unique headlights bring lots of attention to this car). However; recently I have encountered an oil consumption problem. This did not rear its ugly head until January of this year. Has anyone else had this problem with this engine?
  • hunteramihunterami Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Q45 with an in-dash CD/Radio/Cassette combo. When I put a CD in, it tries to read the CD and error comes on. Can anyone give me some direction on how to solve this problem?
    Thanks in Advance
  • west2west2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car. The way to fix this problem is to replace the Air Flow Sensor which is located on top of the Air Filter. The part can cost from $275 to $350 plus the labor which should be about 1 hour. In addition you should also make sure the Timing Relay Control and the Throttle Body is adjusted accordingly. After these repairs are done your car will drive like new. But start with the Air Flow Sensor first. :D
  • nadirnadir Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem. i replaced the air flow meter and the fuel box in the trunk behind the back seat. this cleared the stalling, however, i cant get power to the fuse for the engine control under the hood.
  • DoofDoof Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure glad that I'm not the only one that has this problem. I bought a 90 Q45 originally for the girlfriend. I have a 90 Saab 9000 turbo & it get's me around fine. I found the Q45 to be a lot of car for the money, but then the stalling, suspension, loud fuel pump etc. to be more than my girlfriend could bare. I told her I would sell it.....UNTIL I DROVE IT!! I am going to find a way to fix this car, because it runs like a raped ape!! Another thing, do the turbonators really work?
    :shades:
  • jaymokajaymoka Member Posts: 7
    Hi board
    I just found a 1997 Q45t, very impressive car. It has 130Kmi on it. It's offered for $6500 but needs some minor body work (trunk and left side have been keyed), and brakes and tires. Other than that, the car is in perfect condition. I was planning on buying the car in the next couple days. Does it seem like a good deal? Anything in particular I should look for before buying the car?
    I really appreciate everyone's help...

Thank you,

Jamal
  • pbrookspbrooks Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same problems with the slip and the tcs light coming on what should i do?
  • pbrookspbrooks Member Posts: 2
    my q45 is running hot i just put a motor in it please help
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi pbrooks, welcome!

You may also want to post in this discussion: Got a Quick, Technical Question?
  • fiatfiat Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me with wiring the plug on the fuel pump control unit (situated under the center of the parcel tray in the boot). I bought a 1991 Q45 front cut to use the engine in a Fiat 130 Coupe. I have just aquired the fuel pump control unit but I do not know which wires go were on the plug.
  • mrinfinmrinfin Member Posts: 2
    HI i own a 1999 Infiniti Q45T with a 4.3 liter engin. could anyone plz tell me the HP of my car, i can seem to figure it out? thnx a lot
    According to the specs reached from this link http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/infiniti/q45/index.html it's a 4.1 liter engine with 266 horsepower.
  • mrinfinmrinfin Member Posts: 2
    yea but mine has a 4.3 liter, any idea on that?
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    To my knowledge Infiniti does not make or use a 4.3 liter engine. If you somehow have a transplanted or modified engine there's no way for us to tell what hp it has..

DB
  • sims1sims1 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to know if you found your problem? I had the same symptoms and replaced the Air Flow Switch to no avail. Still stalls out at 3-4K. The code box under the right hand kick panel points to several parts, but a man can go broke replacing each one until the problem is solved. If you need to change spark plugs be ready for a job.
  • charga71charga71 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you found out what was up? My '92 Q stalls and dies when I go to stop, to turn into a place; or when I'm just sitting there. I thought that it was a fuel pump but on full exceleration, the engine doesn't starve for fuel. I noticed that right before it stalls the little diagnostics screen reads low battery charge. The fuel filter is brand new and I also noticed that when it starts to stall, I can put it into neutral and the engine picks back up and runs fine. ??????? please help or send me in the right direction. I'm new here and need help. later.
  • maohaomaohao Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I got dealer offer me 51K for a base price 05Q45, I love this car, wondering is this a good price? Edmunds showed 3500 dealer cash, they also have 2 with premium package, but it will be 5 or 6K more.

please help me decided, I was looking at the M35. but they told me they sell them with MRSP. Thanks in advance.
  • daryl135daryl135 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I just had service done to my 93 Q45. The mechanic replaced the coil boots and air flow meter. the car runs 90% better now the transmission is not shifting. It will go into reverse, neutral and drive, but when I down shift nothing!. the car was shifting before I took him the car. Is there something that he left unplugged? I don't want to get ripped off when I take him back the car. Can anybody help me??
    Thanks
  • tony8atony8a Member Posts: 1
    HEY I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT HAPPEN TO MY Q45 1996 ALL OF A SUDDEN MY POWER,WINDOWS,LOCKS,MIRRORS,SEATS,CRUISE CONTROL,REAR DEFROSTER AND MY REMOTCONTROL FOR THE DOORS STOPED WORKING .
    ALL THE FUSES ARE GOOD I TOOK IT TO THE SHOP THEY HAD IT FOR 1 1/2 DAYS BUT DID NOT FIND ANYTHING THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE TO THE DEALER BUT IM AM AFRAID THERE TOO EXPENSIVE PLEAS HELP HELP HELP
    THANK YOU
    Hi Tony, welcome.

You might want to also post that in our Electrical Problems discussion - someone there may have a thought for you.

But please unlock your caps key - it looks like you are yelling at us :) and it makes your post difficult to read.
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    I am trying to decide among a new Q45, LS 430, and Audi A8. I am mainly interested in comfort and lack of noise, rather than performance. Also, by way of background, I have a 1994 Q45 which I like a lot, but I have had terrible experiences with one bad dealer and, more to the point, with Infiniti/Nissan USA. Is the latter any better than it used to be? I would appreciate any thoughts on either issue. Thank you.
    Even though you aren't interested in "performance" per se, you'll want to peruse our Luxury Performance Sedans discussion. Those are exactly the sort of vehicles that are under discussion there. Have a look while you wait for responses here.
  • buzzbybuzzby Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Q45a with electronic suspension. I bourght it used. From get go it never ran right, as far as the suspensiion goes. Every now and then the suspension goes down whilst driving; the the traction and sliip light comes on, and it's bumpy. How involve is it to change over to regular suspension.

Buzzby. :confuse:
  • jasonnbjasonnb Member Posts: 4
  • 94q4594q45 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my '94 Q about 4 months ago. (It has only about 48,000 miles on it). I had it serviced and it turns out the belt around the alternator was loose. So when I'm slowing down, idling for too long, starting from a stopped position, or restarting my engine after turning it off for an errand, the low battery charge light turns on and my engine stalls. So at low RPM's the battery isn't being charged adequately. Check it out.
  • waliswalis Member Posts: 35
    my dash and tail lights on my 1992 Q45 won't come on. The stop lights work fine but the tail light doesn't. I've done all I could in solving this problem but to no success. I've changed the whole tail light assembly and even put in new bulbs...still no success. I've also checked the tail light fuse for power...it does have power. I don't know what else to check or do. Has anyone had this sort of problem before? someone please help...I'm losing my mind!
    While we're at it, my digital climate control display works but displays at will. I even replaced it with another one and still does the same...common problem? HELP anyone? THANKS!
  • elvis4elvis4 Member Posts: 3
    The manual says that once you have replaced the bulbs, the ignition switch and the tail/stop light should be turned "ON", and the brake pedal depressed for approximately 1 second. This will cancel the warning light. If the warning light is not canceld then it will display each time you turn the ignition on. I hope this helps.
    thanks Elvis4! this doesn't address the problem i'm having. It's the tail lights that won't work not a warning signal. When I turn the headlights on the tail lights don't come on as it supposed to. I need help solving this problem.
    Thanks for your time though!
    I don't know of any 4.3L engine. I'm only aware of 4.1L which has 266hp. Here's a link for specs on that....
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=1999&make=Infiniti&model=Q45&trimi- - d=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=0

hope this helps!
  • mbkocmbkoc Member Posts: 1
    2 1/2 weeks after a $3100 service (comprehensive 30 K service, and fixing some minor electrical malfunctions) on my 1994 Q 45 (170,000 miles) as I was stopped in traffic, I heard a sudden clunk, then the car would not move. :cry: Tow truck driver (and rescuing guardian angel) told me the U joint, which he said holds up the drive train, had come undone from the car. He said there should have been 12 bolts holding it up; instead there were only two, and one fell out. The bolt that fell out had no obvious wear or tear on it. I've had the Q regularly serviced at the same Infiniti dealer for about 4 years; prior work was all done at another dealer near my former home. Has anything like this happened to any one else here? I'm irritated that this happened, and understand it could have caused a wreck if I'd been on the freeway :sick: : -- am I overreacting? :mad: or appropriately concerned? :confuse: What should I do to make sure the rest of the car is ok -- especially since the same dealership has done all the work on it for 4 years? Currently the car is awaiting bolts (which are backordered) at another dealership than the one I've gone to for 4 years. All advice appreciated. Thanks!
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    Hello,
    Today I will be picking up a 97 Q45T. Can someon tell me what kind fuel economy can I expect on this car, city and fwy? In addition, I know this car requires premium gasoline, does it matter if I switch it to regular unleaded? This car will replaced my 95 civic beater/commuter. A little bit more in fuel but in return is a more comfortable/safety vehicle. Thanks for all your help.

daryl135,
    How much does it cost to replace the coil boots?

• gmbogmbo Member Posts: 1
    I saw your post about the tail lights and dash lights not working. I was wondering if you found the problem. I am having the same problem, and went through the same steps you did with no luck. Mine is the 91 Q45 with the same exact problem!!! My climate control works but has no display. My front marker and headlights work but no tail dash or shift indicator lights. Fuses all good, bulbs all good. I am at a loss. Thanks for your time!!!
    Jim
  • mmich101mmich101 Member Posts: 2
    I've taken my car into the Infiniti shop now 2 times and they still can't figure the problem out. They hooked it up to the computer and everything reads fine.

My car will not go when you step on the gas. I have to floor the gas pedal to get it to go sometimes and it revs out to approx. 4000 rpm's. It doesn't do this all the time. I'll be driving home and at a stop sign and it won't go. Well, it goes but not very fast. People behind me get all mad. Other times it flies! My idle seems to be a little low all the time and my air isn't that great when sitting at a stop light. I have to put the car in neutral and rev the engine up to 1000 rpm's to get the air working good. I do have a slight hole in the muffler too but I don't think that that would be the cause. I've put new spark plugs in it, new oil filter and a new air filter. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my car?
  • elvis4elvis4 Member Posts: 3
    The problem may be as simple as switching from reg gas to premium gas. I have a 92 q45 and I swithced from reg to premium and my car has a nice smooth take off. Put some gas treatment in the gas to clean out the injectors that also may help. Remeber that the infinity is a luxury car and needs that special attention to detail. As for the A.C. that could be a minor recharging. I hope this information is helpful and goodluck.
    Be sure to use BK44 or Techron gas treatment only. You can get BK44 at the dealership for like $30.00. Also, have replace your fuel filter? And check if the fuel pump is noisy?

• mmich101mmich101 Member Posts: 2
    We've replaced the fuel filter and I do get super gas at $2.70 a gallon! Man is gas ridiculous! ;-) Haven't checked the noise on the fuel pump. There is some humming that comes out of the engine. It's odd because all the diagnostics at infiniti came up perfect.
    I had a new relay run for the tail light. Don't waste your time and money trying to find the problem. I had a guy spend 3 hours on finding the problem but to no success. I later had a new relay setup and it cost me $80.00. When the tail lights come on the dash lights would come on also. The tail light inoperative warning may still display but don't worry about it. I ignore it. GOOD LUCK!
  • togatoga Member Posts: 1
    I love my Q45 (it's a 2000 I bought 18 months ago). Best car I've ever driven ... but it just doesn't do well in the snow.

I live in New England, and I really need some advice on what to do. I currently have 16" wheels, and 60R16 tires. Any recommendations on what I can do to ensure that this car actually gets me through the snow this winter? I've been looking at Blizzac snow tires, but frankly the problem was so great last winter I'm not sure that's going to help me enough.

Advice anyone? Re: wheel size? Tire size? Make of tire?

Thanks in advance for help.
  • gasisthadevilgasisthadevil Member Posts: 1
    I am a first time driver and own a 1993 Infiniti Q45. Gas now is 2.99 and going up as we all know!!!! What can we do to save gas except for not driving alot. Can we pull out the seats and get out stuff from the car that can decrease the weight in the car? Is there something you can buy to increase your miles per gallon? Please help, Thanks.
    Hi - welcome to our Forums! You might also like to check out this discussion which is over on our News & Views board: How Are You Dealing With High Priced Gasoline. Enjoy!
  • layinfilmlayinfilm Member Posts: 2
    I have the q45a and i am attempting to somewhat modify my air suspension. When i turn the car off the rear passenger side is the only side to readjust. it raises about 2-3 inches, but none of the others shift.
    How can i tell if i have a leak in my air bags or if the compression/pump has gone bad? Could it be wiring also?
  • layinfilmlayinfilm Member Posts: 2
    The driver side seat does not move at all! it is of course electric and there is no motor sound or anything. mabye the switch? motor? or other? HELP! i cant stand where it is positioned!
  • grn96110kgrn96110k Member Posts: 1
    I have a related power steering and speedometer problem.

The warning lights say there's a transmission problem and then the speedometer won't move and low speed steering is difficult.

I was advised to check the connection for the power steering assist module behind the dash for corrosion. It would seem to me if the unit works when you smack the dash and it will continue to work most of that trip, it can't be dead if it comes to life...

So how do I remove the dash, locate the connection and try to clean up any possible corriosion. Won't it be a major expense if a dealer does it?
    The only positive outcome of a dead speedometer is the odometer doesn't advance..I have probably 130 K miles on it, but it shows 110 K....

Help me save a major expense on this great car.
This discussion has been closed.