Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    314314 Member Posts: 2
    I have cable type chains and they are to fit less than snug so they can rotate around the tire slowly and not sit in one place on the tire and possibly damage tire.
  • Options
    petrie3petrie3 Member Posts: 47
    And just what would the class action be....being uncomfortable at certain speeds? I'm also on the Audi world board frequently and haven't heard about any injuries or deaths coming from the vibration. You guys kill me with the knee jerk reaction to sue...especially the scary words... class action. Funny, as you know (as an attorney), the only "class" that benefits financially from class actions are the attorneys!Obviously, the car shouldn't vibrate at any (reasonable) speed and Audi needs to fix it. Your remedies are already available, get them to fix it, pursue lemon law reimbursement or just sell the car! If Audi has built a lousy car, the market will take care of them eventually and they will lose their collective shirts. Personally, I hope not, because my A6 2.7t is the best car I've owned, with no more or less wrong with it than the Mercedes E class I owned before it. That said, I hope you get the vibration cured so that you can truly enjoy your fabulous car!
  • Options
    jcoldweljcoldwel Member Posts: 3
    I'm so pleased with my '99 A6 that I'm going to buy a 2001 A6. I'd like to take European delivery, drive it on vacation, and ship it back to U.S. My dealer says Audi won't let him do it. Sounds like poor business decision for Audi, if true. Can I go direct to a European dealer, or is there another way of doing it. Better yet, has anyone done it? Any pros or cons? Thanks.
  • Options
    sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    My 2.7T has had no vibrations at highway speeds. In fact, the car is a dream at 70 mph. My only problem is remembering I had 5th and 6th gears to cruise in. I usually cannot hear or feel the engine over the radio at those speeds, and find my self in 4th, revving 4000 rpm. Could your vibrations be coming from the tires you guys have on your cars. Mine came with the weak Goodyear tires. I wanted the Dunlops, but none in my dealer had them. The Goodyears are not great tires, and can't wait until they go bad to change them. Maybe your tires are the Dunlops that everyone raves about.

As for service, mine is pretty new. In Miami, we had some serious floods, and the dealership is pretty backed up to get around to new appointments. They gave me one in three weeks, and will call me if anything opens up before. My dad, however, had an 1984 Audi 5000S, which was his worst nightmare. He tried suing AoA, and basically, had no luck. He eventually sold it and has been a BMW faithful ever since. When I got my Audi, he almost went crazy. After he drove it, he calmed down, but he is waiting for my transmission to fall to the ground, as his did the day he got it.

Good luck with the vibrations.
  • Options
    shandrafashionshandrafashion Member Posts: 1
    I cannot get help with this design flaw from audi.The air dam on the A6 2.7T is not only low ,but there is a lip underneath that gets caught on some wheel stops in parking lots ,especially the ones that you find in parking garages and hospital parking lots.Once your caught and you back up.you will rip the bumper loose.Audi is aware of this and will replace it once,but after that your stuck.In my case the dealer got it caught the first time upon delivery but wont admit it.We were not warned that this could happen again,So we assumed that there was a problem that was fixed. You would think that there would be a bulletin on this. Audi has been no help and the dealer charged us 278.00 to cut and trim the bent lip under the car.They claim it took four hours of labor.This by the way was Reeves import auto in Tampa. Anyone else having this problem
  • Options
    fleenjfleenj Member Posts: 1
    just picked up 2001 a6 2.7t. a beautiful, quick machine. however, as i listened and looked for anything strange driving it (i tend to do that upon driving a new car) i noticed that after reaching about 60 mph i began hearing more of the wind than i should hear on a car of this caliber (and yes my windows and sunroof were all closed) has anybody else noticed this???
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Maybe my car is quieter, maybe I'm not as picky, but I find my 2000 A6 to be very quiet at high speeds. My lady and I were just commenting on that very thing yesterday while driving down 101 in northern CA. At 70 - 75 m.p.h., the car is incredibly quiet. Of course, there's really no way of knowing whether my car has more or less wind noise than yours. Suffice to say that I find the amount of wind noise at speed to be far from objectionable.
  • Options
    brucebaldwinbrucebaldwin Member Posts: 7
    It was interesting to see some window problems. Just this weekend, I noticed by express up on my driver's side window (2000 A6 2.8) slows to almost a stall going up, but eventually makes it. I will try the reset trick tonight. The other 3 windows rise and fall at the original pace. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
  • Options
    I love my 2.7t PSK, but I also believe the wind noise is more than it should be. Even at low speeds ( 40-50 mph) it sounds like the wind is swirling around the car as if it were it windy day outside. I also get a bit of a whistle at 50-60 mph sometimes. I'm comparing it to my wife's S80 T-6 and the MB I had before this. Others on the Audiworld forum have reported it, though many, like the post above rave about how quiet the car is for them. I'll have the dealer look into it at first service. My bet is that the windshield is not quite sealed properly. On the good side, this car seems to get better, quicker as I get some miles on it. Wonderful driving machine.
  • Options
    Regarding the "lazy" window, I don't have any specific answers for you, but I've heard of others having the same problem. I suggest visiting the A6 forum at http://www.audiworld.com and posing your question there. I can just about guarantee that you'll get answers.
  • Options
    bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    First off, Audi has no Euro delivery program at this time. It's that simple. There is no affordable way to "roll your own" Euro delivery program either. Basically, you can't order a US-spec car from a European dealer, so you end up paying through the nose to modify the car when it gets here.

Yes, the front bumper pulls off. Go to the A6 board on www.audiworld.com and search about it. Audi knows about it and made changes that saved you a bundle. However, it just happens. Several people on www.audiworld.com said it happened with other cars they owned, so it is far from unique to Audi.
  • Options
    I love my 2.7t PSK, but I also believe the wind noise is more than it should be. Even at low speeds ( 40-50 mph) it sounds like the wind is swirling around the car as if it were it windy day outside. I also get a bit of a whistle at 50-60 mph sometimes. I'm comparing it to my wife's S80 T-6 and the MB I had before this. Others on the Audiworld forum have reported it, though many, like the post above rave about how quiet the car is for them. I'll have the dealer look into it at first service. My bet is that the windshield is not quite sealed properly. On the good side, this car seems to get better, quicker as I get some miles on it. Wonderful driving machine.
  • Options
    rblei1rblei1 Member Posts: 2
    Well its nice that you love your 2.7t A6(petrie3)but when you drive my car and put up with vibration so bad that your driver side tire wears at 22,500 miles and steel wires are showing through maybe you should comment. When you make 5 trips to the dealer in 8 months maybe you should comment. If your dealer told you that your only option was to get a different car maybe your attitude would be a little different. I think everyone should remember that we are paying for luxury. I went to arbitration at the BBB and the arbitrator decided that I have to give them the chance(under WV Lemon Law) to fix my car regardless of how many times the dealer has had it. Well today was the day that the technical expert was going to try and fix it. We'll see tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I love this car but feel that I have been overlooked by my dealer and by Audi. I had previously made 3 calls to Audi Client relations before filing my complaint with no solution. I feel that Audi already had their chance to do something. Not after they find out about arbitration. Totally ridiculous!!!
  • Options
    I just came back from a weekend in Orlando. It was great to finally be able to open the car up on the highway. However, there was a lot of wind noise at speeds over 70 mph. I don't notice it as bad in the city. I found myself numerous times checking to see that all windows were fully raised and the moonroof closed. Has anyone heard of a solution, being that some people complain about it and some don't. The noise gets old after a while. However, I must say I do enjoy this car more every day. I am so glad I didn't get the 528i I almost got into.
  • Options
    Also, has anyone else had any problems with their A/C. Mine tends to get lazy in the afternoon in the sun and not cool down. All it gives out is humid, smelly air. It works fine in the morning and evening, but it's 50/50 during the day. My dealer (Prestige Imports, Miami) asked me if I submerged the car during the floods (No!), because there is a compressor cutoff switch that will kill the A/C compressor if it senses a potential short. Mine works at times, other times not. Am I alone in this one?
  • Options
    rblei1: Sorry to hear about your problem. I understand your frustration; I would be too. Again, obviously Audi needs to make your car right. Whether it is a $45,000 A6 or a $15,000 Civic, that shouldn't happen. I just don't see where there is a class action here, that's all. And, class action just seems to be a knee jerk reaction by a lot of people. Good luck with your problem.

A/C problem: Sixtoferro- Your A/c is definitely on the fritz! I've not had any problems at all and haven't heard of similar problems on the Audiworld board. In fact, my a/c cools the car faster than any other one I've had. Get them to fix or replace the compressor.
  • Options
    I have very low wind noise. Although I know a person (old friend I don't see anymore) who has problems with it.

I could have swore I saw people get their windnoise around the A pillar at the mirror fixed on the A4 or A6 board on audiworld. Take a look there.

sixtoferro, as petrie3 says, your A/C is flat-out busted. It shouldn't be cutting out like that.
  • Options
    andys3andys3 Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, I've got what I think is "excessive" wind noise over about 50 MPH. It sounds like it's eminating from the side-view mirrors or A pillars.
    Maybe it's just a relative thing: the car is so quiet at slow speeds that the wind noise is RELATIVELY loud at higher speeds (?) I've never driven a Lexus, which has a reputation for quietness. It would be interesting to compare them at the same speeds on the same road.....
  • Options
    raykarraykar Member Posts: 4
    No, Petrie3. No one is contemplating a class action suit alleging that the A6 is "uncomfortable at certain speeds." Rather the class action would allege the existence of a defect. "Defect," like "class action" is a highly technical term used only by legal scholars to scare people like you.

First, I don't think you have a very good understanding of the vibration issue. Admittedly, it's somewhat slight, but it is unmistakable and always there. I should point out also that while you characterize the 65-80 mph range as "certain speeds," I characterize that as "the range at which I typically drive." Sorry, but that's the truth.

Let me ask you, Petrie, would you pay the same amount of $ for an A6 with noticeable vibration as you would for a car that rides like a dream at that speed? If so, you're a fool. If not, then you ought to be able to understand that Blei's arbitration is important to a lot of people with the same problem. We've been to the dealer countless times for the same issue. In may case, I first brought it in the day after I bought the car. Six months and four visits later, I still have the same problem. Further, from the fact that other people (but not all) describe the same high speed vibration, one could reasonably conclude that Audi is aware of the problem but choses not to act.

I mean, not to be cynical, but Audi's recall on the fuel sender unit came only AFTER the class action notice was filed. I won't pretend that Audi is any more deceitful than other car companies, but I ask that you not pretend that they are any less so.

Second, fyi, class actions are useful and practical where there is a large group of plaintiffs sharing the same issue with respect to a single defendant. Every plaintiff would stand to recover the same amount (or not) as they would by bringing the action individually. With a class action, however, judicial resources are saved, conflicting results are avoided, and plaintiffs save some dough on atty's fees (especially if they are unsuccessful). If you think that only attys make money off these things, perhaps you've been reading too many stories about class-actions against the phone companies for rounding up minutes or some silly thing like that.

In any event, maybe you shouldn't be so smug.
  • Options
    rblei1rblei1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I called to find out about my A6 today and the service manager said that the technical expert said everything was "perfect" and that they were going to replace my front tires. I just had those tires put on 5,000 miles ago. I could not believe my ears. I think that the dealers and Audi are deliberately covering up for each other because it is a manufacturers defect. The arbitrator in my case also believes that this is a defect. (petrie3) fyi I am not in a position to sell this car and get another one. I am in a lease and I definitely not terminating this lease and paying early term fees. Believe me all I want is what I pay for. I am not sure about class-action but I have already talked with an attorney and will more than likely pursue some sort of action. Mark my words in 4,000 to 4,500 miles this car will start to vibrate again, and when it does, the dealer and technical expert are aware that the next time I see them will be in a court of law. Definitely have experienced major mental anguish.
  • Options
    rblei: I don't blame you a bit for pursuing legal action if your vibration isn't fixed. That's what lemon laws are for. Sounds like you've got one for sure. I hope you prevail in your efforts. You certainly should expect your new car not to vibrate every 4-5000 miles.

raykar: Well, I thought this board was designed to be a civilized discussion of Audi A6 topics. Given your patronizing opening comment, I gather you choose to ignore this premise. As I've said before, of course your car shouldn't vibrate at any reasonable speed. Audi needs to fix it. I understand your frustration with the problem and I know I'd be angry too. And yes, I'm well aware of the meaning of defect and class action. It's just that I also know that the right to pursue a class action has been abused by attorneys for some time and has served contributed to making goods and services more expensive for all of us.

I'm certainly not a defender of Audi here as superior to other carmakers in this regard. If anything, I agree that they have been slow to respond to problems as sales have increased so dramatically. I've never "pretended" that Audi is any more or less deceitful than other companies. So get your facts straight, counselor. Audi deserves whatever it gets, and the marketplace will take care of that sooner or later, for better or worse. For the moment, there appear to be thousands of A6 owners who were luckier than you and don't have the vibration your car suffers from.

By the way, I'm not "smug" at all about this topic. As I have no vested interest in either side,I've got nothing to be smug about. Seems to me, smug applies more to someone who feels the need to specify in his profile that he's an attorney for a "large" Wash. DC firm. No, actually maybe that's just vain....or condescending... or insecure.
  • Options
    And I get squat each time. Most notably was the huge suit against the airlines where they were determined to deny people proper use of their frequent flier miles. I got like a $50 discount from that. Wow! Just think how much I saved!

I got another from a judgement that cell phone companies conspired to overcharge customers in Northern CA. I got 3 useless coupons. Were any good for the service I already had? No. All were good for discounts off of new service, or add-ons to my existing service. Basically they were promotional items to line the companies' pockets more.

Class actions are a ripoff for the plantiffs. Perhaps they punish the companies enough, but they do nothing to really reimburse the plantiffs for damages.
  • Options
    But you forgot to mention that the settlements do enrich the lawyers, often well beyond "reasonable" levels of compensation. Defendant companies settle often for the reason raykar mentioned: to avoid years of expensive litigation (that could have bunches of outrageous jury awards) with individual plaintiffs. Can class actions benefit consumers and punish companies justly? Sure, it happens from time to time and the concept is sound, but there is little doubt that the process has been severely abused by the legal community. In the process, costs go up for all the rest of us. Oh well, I think I'll just go take a drive up the coast highway and forget about it. Perfect day here in L.A. for a drive. I can even see Malibu from the South Bay today!
  • Options
    Cool it, guys. I really don't want to turn the board into a referendum on class actions. Yes, I freely admit that class actions can be abusive and that often only the attys stand to benefit (and it's not my area of the law, anyway). But is that really the case here? Just because Bollinger only recovered a $50 in coupons from airlines or pennies from his phone company doesn't change the fact that Blei and I have defective cars for which we paid a lot. I mean, I appreciate Bollinger's cynicism after receiving such a small recovery, but it's not like he was really injured in the first place. What would he have recovered if he filed those actions as a single plaintiff.

As for your latest missive, Petrie, I do think your post no. 361 was smug, regardless of whether you agree. As for my post, while I certainly was condenscending, I think you know that I was being sarcastic. I'll try to curb that, but I was responding to your statement that lawyers use "scary" words like "class action." That just struck me as a little over the top. Sorry if you were offended, but that's how I see it.
  • Options
    To be offended, I'd have to take what you said personally, and I didn't. I think Bollinger's point was that he never would have bothered suing as a single plaintiff, so the "recovery" was irrelevant. The consumer's most effective actions in these cases are typically to move their business elsewhere. Though the recovery per plaintiff was insignificant, the plaintiffs' counsel fee surely was not. And, you're right, I may have been a bit "over the top", but I bet if you took a vote (a scary word itself today), most people would associate "class action" with "scary" or "scare tactic". Just my 2 cents.

With that, I'm happy to declare a truce! It's lunchtime and NOW I'm on my way to PCH and Topanga Canyon for a great drive!
  • Options
    blei1blei1 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to get you guys in an uproar about this situation. I will be getting my car back on Thursday. I have to see if it is still vibrating. If it is not I cannot seek any legal action until it happens again(which I can guarantee it will). This is because I accepted the decision of the arbitrator under WV Lemon Law. If it does vibrate again I will be seeking other legal help. It amazes me at Audis attitude. I called the Customer Care Specialist for my region(Dan Glickmann) today and alerted him that I will be seeking legal help. I gave him the opportunity to buy back this car or replace it and he said Audi is standing by their decision. His attitude was that they could care less. Everyday I am getting more and more angrier. I will guarantee that pretty soon there will be a recall.
  • Options
    blei1, by guaranteeing a recall, what do you mean? Two of you have a problem and you think VW/Audi is going to pull all their cars back? I think you mean Audi is going to buy your car back, which would probably the the right thing to do.

I'm not saying don't hold Audi/VW accountable, I'm just saying that class action lawsuits are lousy way to do it. Pursue your own actions, as you are. Forget classes.
  • Options
    timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Felicia, your frustration and annoyance sound more than justified. It sounds to me from your posts, that you would just like to have your car fixed, or the problem resolved in an acceptable way. You've played by Audi's rules, and they've failed you. I don't think class action suits or recalls are going to help you. With respect, even legal action could end up taking much longer, and costing much more than it's worth.

You might try this: Len Hunt is the VW VP in charge of Audi. He is located at Audi HQ in Auburn Hills, MI. I've dealt with large businesses for the last 30 years and have learned that sometimes the only way to resolve an issue is to take OUT of normal channels. Since you've tried everything else, if the latest attempt also fails, I'd suggest this: Prepare a concise explanation of your problem and all of Audi's attempts to resolve it along with a request for assistance to Len via certified return-receipt. Include your phone number. Don't expect a response, but a week later, follow up with a phone call. You may get some results. Others have received assistance once managers with ultimate responsibility became aware of a specific situation. And best of luck.
  • Options
    bollinger:What I mean is that there is more than 2 people with this problem. You might want to check Audiworld.com. I just printed out 20 pages of vibration complaints. I never mentioned anything about class-action. The truth is I never expected to have this problem with a $40,000 car. Audi has definitely failed me as has the dealer. I have paid a tremendous amount for a luxury car that has been anything but luxurious.

timcar: I am definitely going to write Len Hunt. You are right, all I want is for my car to be fixed, which I can't seem to get this through my dealer or Audi's heads. I guess my dealer assumed that every 4,500 miles I was going to come in and let them balance tires. I am disappointed with my dealer, because everytime he sees me he takes off to his office. How hard is it to show me a little respect and apologize for the problems I am having. I think both dealer and Audi should remember to "never bite the hand that feeds you". Thanks for your advice. I am just getting very weary of all of this frustration.
  • Options
    If you need help contacting Len Hunt, send me an e-mail. I can help you get in touch with him.

- Mike
  • Options
    That because two or twenty people would have a problem which isn't even a safety issue, that they would demand my own car be recalled?

If Audi recalls my car I have to take the time to take my car in for a problem I'm not having, and wouldn't be a safety issue if I did?

Get off the broad-brush stuff. Concentrate on getting your problem fixed, instead of trying to get Audi to spend millions of dollars to recall all the A6's out there from people who aren't having problems!

As to there being 20 reports on audiworld, I'd say about half found the problem and it was related to tires or rims. That leaves 12 people with problems. Audi sold 3,000 (about) A6's last quarter alone. Audi should recall 30,000 cars to fix a problem that problem less than 0.01% of them are having? It doesn't make sense. It would just be cheaper for them to buy back the cars with the problem. That's why you should be concentrating your efforts on personal redress.
  • Options
    bollinger: Truthfully I could care less if these cars are recalled. Oh I am sure that I would really feel bad for you if your car is recalled. Heaven forbid you have to be inconvenienced. Never mind about my incoveniences. About the safety issue, how do you know this is not a safety issue? Just because nothing has happened as of yet does not mean that something will happen. The technical expert who worked on my car said that there was nothing wrong. Even though I know there is. If they cannot find a problem then I may be in danger. And yes it would be cheaper for them to buy back the cars but Audi chooses not to buy mine back. According to Audi my car does not fit the criteria for a buy-back. Give me a break. So then I have to take legal action and guess what? I have to be inconvenienced again. I have already been through aribtration which was a waste of time because Audi called 15 minutes before and said that they were not going to be able to come to the arbitration. Never mind that I had to drive 130 miles to arbitration with a vibration just to prove a point.I really hope that your car works out for you because this has been nothing but frustration for me.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why my name was included in your heading. Did I miss something?
  • Options
    Just logged in to see what happened on the board today. I remember yesterday discussing "class actions" for those driving A6's with a high-speed vibration. Going back and checking my e-mails, I know of 9 such owners (some have e-mailed me over the past month or so but haven't posted), and one of the dealers I visited said he knew of a couple others (though I may already be counting them). There are others that complain about high speed vibration, but who seem to have a slightly different problem than mine.

In any event, I don't know how the subject of "recall" came up, but fwiw I was only talking about a class action consisting of those who share the exact same problem. Obviously the class would not include owners whose A6's don't vibrate at speed. As far as I'm concerned, it would save money on legal fees.

Also, Bollinger, if your're there, I don't remember reading about anyone with a high speed vibration that fixed the problem by switching out wheels or tires. Could you provide a reference? As far as I'm concerned, I'd gladly change wheels and upgrade my ContiTourings--on my own nickel--if I knew it would remedy the problem. For now, however, I'd hate to spend the money if I'd still be experiencing the vibration.
  • Options
    robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Gees guys, last night I took a test drive on an A6 2.7T Quattro, looking at it as a possible buy come next Spring. Then I see all the problems you are experiencing. Which is the real Audi A6? It it the one with problems, or it it the trouble free, quality engineered German car?

I have never had an Audi and have already been warned about the "high" maintenance costs. however, that Audi takes care of it for the first 4/50 is indeed a plus.

Could you "veteran" Audi owner give me opinions?
  • Options
    You sell 3,000 cars (A6's alone) a quarter, and some will have problems, even if you are Honda. Some of those people are on the internet. They post all their problems (I have too, I just haven't had any big problems), and suddenly it looks like the car is a loser.

I'd say your chances of having serious problems is small, but definitely not zero. Chances are probably smaller with a Toyota, Honda, MB or Subaru. Choose wisely. (Note, Buick beat MB in long-term quality this year. So perhaps even a Buick is a better idea.)
  • Options
    Blei1, although I am not glad that you are inconvenienced by a car with vibration problems, it distresses me that you would wish me inconvenience as you seem to in #391. If the shoe were on the other foot, I would not be wishing you shared my pain, believe me.

raykar, I searched the audiworld A6 forum. I have to admit I was surprised by the number of people who had the high speed vibration problem. Although I only found 6-8 people who had the problem (not counting one fellow who had the problem on a GS400 and had to sell it because it couldn't be fixed), I didn't find one who had it fixed by replacing rims or tires. The people who had success with that were low speed vibration, most of them under braking. So I got that part all wrong.

There were two people who had high speed vibration problems fixed by changing tires/rims, but both of them got into the problem in the first place by changing tires/rims, not as a problem which existed from the factory. So those don't really count.
  • Options
    bollinger: I really see no point in disputing with you because I don't know you. I do not wish any inconvenience on anyone. You really do not want to go through this mess. All I want, and all I have ever wanted, was for my car to run as smooth as it did in the first 10,000 miles. I think that I am just more angry and maybe it shows in my post. I don't understand why I can't get Audi to admit that there is something wrong. I am sorry if you think I would wish that on you, but believe me I do not.

robnis:
    First, I would not advise you to stray from Audi because, if the truth is to be known, I absolutely love my car. It does not necessarily mean that you are going to have problems. As bollinger stated, not everyone is having them. If you decide to buy I hope you the best.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I'm still interested in an A6 but noticed that in the '01 preview, CR has downgraded its rating and says it will no longer recommend the A6 based on increasing reliability problems.

Comments?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    Joe, I just got CR 's '01 Buying Guide and was surprised by the same thing you noticed. While I've always had alot respect for CR's methodology, I'm puzzled by their action, based on their own explanation of criteria. They've removed their recommendation, and downgraded their predicted reliability from average to below average. If you read their explanation for predicted reliability it says it "is a judgement based on our annual reliability survey data."

Now, if you go to their actual reliability survey, and check the data for the last two years reported for the model, '98 & '99. You find good reliability, and surprisingly, both model years are recommended. Interestingly, the BMW 5 series is shown as having better than average predicted reliability, yet has virtually the same history in the reliability survey for '98 & '99 as the A6. Strange.

Rob, I've just ordered an A6 2.7T. I'm coming out of a Lexus, and before that I had a Legend. If your first priority is bulletproof, it's hard to beat Lexus, Acura or Infinity. But after reading this forum and AudiWorld for 6 months, I decided the level of risk was justified by the shear pleasure I'd experienced driving the 2.7T compared to any Japanese car. I'd rather have a car that's wonderful to drive most of the time, rather than boring to drive all the time. It’s a matter of priorities.
  • Options
    And that data isn't as good as the previous years?

Wouldn't surprise me too much, as they are probably getting feedback from people with bad fuel gauges.
  • Options
    tmayer1tmayer1 Member Posts: 7
    Timcar
    Your comment about owning a 2.7 is exactly how I
    feel. If your priorety is Reliability a Honda or
    Acura or Lexus is the way to Go.
    Before I drove the 2.7 I test drove all the Japenese Cars.
    When I Drove the 2.7 It Blew me away.
    The Power, The Ride, and the Inside lights Rule.
    Once You experience All Wheel drive there is no going back.
    Not to even mention the Heated seats
    (I Live in Chicago).
    I Did have some minor problems with the car
    and I do agree Audi has some issues that they better work on. But Overall I Love this car
    and best of all I Love it more everyday.

I Also feel compassion for the few People with Major problems. It a Whole different story when
    It happens to You.
  • Options
    Appreciated your thoughts. I am at the point in life that I want to treat myself to one really nice car. (I have hit the big 5 0). My ideal car would have good traction in inclement weather; it would be reliable, fun to drive, and safe. It would look nice, have have a longer warranty than is standard, and a 0-60 of 7-8 seconds. I am shopping the 30-35K range. And when I took out the A6 2.7T it really impressed me. I am willing to try the Subaru VDC with its 212hp Boxer but it will probably be around 9 seconds 0-60. The A4 Quattro automatic is 8.8 if my memory is correct. My "fall back" is to a TL or an I30 but then I do not get the better traction which would be nice.

I appreciate your thoughts and hopefully others will share theirs as well.
  • Options
    Although Steve Bollinger, Tim Carleton, and Tom Mayerhofer have already done a great job of sharing their thoughts regarding the A6, I'll take an opportunity to add my 2 cents worth. Hopefully, all of this input from current Audi owners is helpful to others who may be on the fence.

I own a 2000 A6 2.8Q with Tiptronic and I love it. Before ordering my car, I looked very closely at many other candidates, including the TL, RL, I30, 300M, C Class, E Class, 3 Series, 5 Series, and LS. In my opinion, there's plenty to like about all of those cars.

The A6 is simply the the best combination of sport, luxury, performance (even as a 2.8), and value out there, period. The thing stirs the emotions with its unique and beautiful exterior styling(love that back end!), gorgeous interior, and fabulous power train (regardless of which engine/tranny combination you choose). For me, everything about the way the car looks, feels, handles, and sounds adds up to an overall driving pleasure that I've never experienced in any other car. Driving this car makes me feel great. It's not because of one or two things - it's the whole package.

My next door neighbor has a new TL. It's a very nice car, and even with its navigation system it cost him about $8000 less than I paid for my A6 2.8Q. Other than a few missing features (rear seat heaters, a few instruments, puddle lights(!), fog lights, etc.) I can find nothing wrong with it except for one thing: It's BORING! It'll certainly be Honda-reliable. It'll probably go for 200,000 miles with no major repairs. In terms of getting one's adrenaline up, though, forget it. Won't happen.

So, it depends upon what one is looking for. Me - I'm a car guy, since about age 3. For me, cars are about much more than dependable transportation; I'm passionate about them - they excite me. For guys like me, there's nothing quite like an Audi. This car has the ability to make me feel good on the worst of days!

To anyone who's on the fence: Take your choice of A6 on a test drive (preferably at night so you can admire the beautiful interior lighting). Then do the same with the other candidates. See how you feel after doing so. I have a strong hunch that the Audi will steal your heart.

By the way, I'm at 5 months and 7500 miles, with 0 problems.
  • Options
    I totally agree with mpuzach. While my arbitration with Audi was in process, I went and looked at a Mercedes. I left feeling depressed because I did not feel that it compared to my A6(not to mention it was $4,000 more and if I am not mistaken, smaller). I had planned on going to BMW, but was not in the mood. I don't think you can compare any other AWD with my Quattro. I drove in the snow last winter and never felt more safe in my life. I have driven either AWD or 4 wheel drive most of my life(but I am only 28)and I will never have a car without AWD. I also live in WV and drive 35 miles to work on narrow, hilly and dangerously curvy roads. I really think the Quattro is the way to go.
  • Options
    I've just re-read Felicia's posts about the problem, and realized the likely cause of the problem, but not necessarily how to fix it. First, I am pretty sure that Felicia's problem is NOT the same as the vibration problem others have reported in 65mph to 80mph range. I am almost certain that the problem is that the A6 front suspension is going out of alignment and causing uneven tire wear that makes the tires unbalanced and causes vibration.

First, Felicia has reported that she can feel vibration through the steering wheel. This is different than what has been posted by others where this is entirely absent. It almost certainly means that the tires are unbalanced. (Or it could be the wheels, but this doesn't fit here.) The fact the Felicia's A6 was fine for the first 10k means that the tires were initially balanced but became unbalanced. This suggests that car was fine at first, but use caused something to change. The fact that this cycle now occurs every 5K suggests wear and tear on the suspension has degraded the car's initial ability to hold the wheels in alignment.

The condition that Felicia describes where only one front tire has been worn to where the steel belt is actually visible can, in my experience, only be caused by misalignment. Either dynamic misalignment because of the suspension geometry interacting with terrain being driven and the stresses made upon the tires by Quatro, or simply the wheels gradually going out of alignment as the car is driven. This condition causes the tires to wear unevenly, and eventually become unbalanced. This why the dealer discarded the tires with only 5k on them the last time Felicia had the car in, and why they evidently suggested she have the tires rebalanced every 5K.

Felicia describes normal use as narrow, hilly and dangerously curvy roads. Are they also rough? Pot-holed? I think the question is would Felicia's routine use of the car affect any A6 this way, or is her car in some way defective so as to make it more susceptible to this problem. I don't know. Since the dealer suggested the only solution is to get another car, I guess they favor the first explanation.

Felicia, I would suggest you might want to take your problem to AudiWorld with the theory that your car might be going out of alignment and chewing up tires every 5k, after being trouble free for the first 10k. If you do this, you probably want to describe your normal driving conditions in some detail. Along with folks like Steve and Mike, there are other very knowledgeable posters who might be able to suggest a possible reason, and a fix. One who has been very helpful is April. You might wish to ask her. It'll certainly be much cheaper than any legal assistance, and might be useful if you ever find it necessary to resort to that.

And good luck!
  • Options
    Your comments have been appreciated. As a result the A6 2.7T remains at the top of the list. Of course, the nest step this Spring is if an Audi dealer is willing to do a fair deal. Our local one has some bad pr to overcome. Maybe the one is Harrisburg is better. Anyone in south central PA who can offer a suggested dealer?
  • Options
    I finally saw one (actually an LL. Bean). Love that car. A good value too. I hear good things about its power, it should be much faster than 9 seconds. I'm thinking right around 8 seconds. Better with a stick.

Interior is basically a normal Outback with better/more interesting materials. That is, it still looks in shape like an 80's Toyota, but it uses multiple colors and textures.

Climate control looks nice.

Don't like wood on steering wheels.

Does anyone have any reported performance figures for the H6 Outback yet?
  • Options
    ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    I've got a 99 1/2 A6-2.8Q and with the exception of the fuel gauge problem (which was promptly fixed) I have had nada, zip, zilch, zero problems.

I did learn from the dealer that the 2.8 has been much more reliable overall than the 2.7t. I now have around 14K miles and love the car. I don't regret having the 2.8 vs. 2.7t. Plus, with the deal I got on the car in Aug. of '99 it was around 1500-2000 under invoice, it was a no brainer. So, the bottom line is, I totally agree with mpuzach's assessment.
  • Options
    ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    I've got a 99 1/2 A6-2.8Q and with the exception of the fuel gauge problem (which was promptly fixed) I have had nada, zip, zilch, zero problems.

I did learn from the dealer that the 2.8 has been much more reliable overall than the 2.7t. I now have around 14K miles and love the car. I don't regret having the 2.8 vs. 2.7t. Plus, with the deal I got on the car in Aug. of '99 it was around 1500-2000 under invoice, it was a no brainer. So, the bottom line is, I totally agree with mpuzach's assessment.