Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are four months shy of being a member for 6 years and you've made almost 2000 posts. And, indeed, you are one of our most helpful members. :D
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    :) You may be right about Impalas & Tauruses, but I'm kinda surprised the GM and Ford shows don't attract Mustangs, Tbirds, Cougars, Corvettes, Camaros, Trans Ams & GTOs. Certainly Mopar neve cornered the market on perfromance cars.

My own Trep just went over 150,000 miles - it's being used less often since I bought the 1997 Town & Country on 5/18. The Trep now has it's own car cover and sits protected from the sun and the elements 6 days a week. Ironically I've put so much money into it that the car looks and runs like new...It would be hard to persuade the wife I need a new car!

Bob - I agree with Pat. This board would not be the same without you!!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    the GM show DOES attract a bunch of Camaros and Firebirds...heck, that's probably the majority fo the show right there! And the Corvette crowd is big enough that Carlisle devotes a whole show just to them; I think it takes place in August. I was mainly trying to point out how popular the Intrepid seems to be compared to its peers at these shows. Sure doesn't reflect "real world" sales, where the Taurus outsold the Trep by a wide margin, as did the Impala in later years.

I think in general the Mopar show is bigger than the Ford show at Carlisle, and the GM show is smaller than either one. Again, just the opposite of real-world sales!

My Trep will be 6 years old in November, and considering that it sits out all the time, I'm impressed at how good it still looks. They really have come a long way with paint durability over the years. Once upon a time, I don't think a silver car would last more than a few years before fading, but except for a few nicks and scratches and dings here and there, mine is still nice and shiny...when it's cleaned up, at least! One problem with silver is that it doesn't show off dirt like other colors, so I tend to let it go too long without washing.

Hey Pat, I'm just curious...could you tell me how long I've been a member? I can't remember when I first signed up, but I think I started posting regularly around the time I bought my Trep, November of '99. Oh yeah, how many posts have I made? Just wonderin' :D
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Your profile says you joined in April of 2000 and you've made ... do you really want to know?? :P ... a shade over 17,000 posts. :D
    Holy Chrysler!! 17 THOUSAND?? Does that make me a computer geek or a loser with no social life?! :surprise: :P
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Aw shucks, folks...just trying to help... :blush::blush::blush:

Andre: I've been meaning to talk to you about your lack of ANY life whatsoever... and, you may be offered a starring role in Revenge of the Nerds 9... :shades: :D

Bob, aka marsha7...
    :surprise: I am truly humbled...I won't even do anything I LIKE 17,000 times :surprise: ....Call me Carmine The Slacker from now on...
    One more thing I need to ask Andre - You're flying a flag of Norfolk Island - That's in the South Pacific. No matter HOW good your Trep is I doubt your trip to Florida started in Norfolk Island...Just curious...is that where you're from?
  • gowestgowest Member Posts: 1
    Hey, Y'all.

OK, I wanted to get a tune-up on my 2000 Intrepid. It has 84,500 miles on it and I figured with gas prices they way they are and plus I'm nearing the 100K mark, I should at least replace the plugs.

I went to a Tune-Up Clinic and the guy told me $69.99 but since the manufacturer "requires" double-platinum plugs on my car, which were $8.50 each, the price jumped to almost $130. :surprise: Of course, they wouldn't warranty the job for the $4.50 single platinums.

Do Intrepids really require DPP or was he trying to get over on a "dumb girl"?
    I just checked NAPA auto parts (http://www.napaonline.com) and they have several different spark plug choices listed. One of them is a Champion Spark Plug, and the description reads "Platinum Power, OEM style, Single Platinum". It's part # CHA3032 and they retail for $2.29 apiece.

They do have a double platinum plug listed for $4.79, part # CHA7032.

"OEM" stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" so it looks like the car originally came with just the single platinums. FWIW, my mechanic told me that mine needed to be changed when he inspected them, around the 51,000 mile mark. I can't remember what kind of plugs he put in, though.

And don't feel bad, I don't think they were trying to get one over on a "dumb girl"...they'd probably do it to anybody! I'm a guy, and I didn't know what kind of plugs the car needed until I just looked it up! :blush: Looking back, I think I had my hair dyed blonde back then, so maybe my mechanic was taking advantage of a "dumb blonde" :P
  • rich14rich14 Member Posts: 15
    1995 intrepid with 234k highway miles,, fuel pump wont run unless you ground it to the frame or motor then i have fuel pressure... but it wont start....fuel pump wont run at all when you turn key unless you ground it out to the frame or motor first,,, now could it be the fuel cut off switch and if so where iis it located on this car? i have checked the relays and they are all good.... any help will be greatly appreaciated. thanks Rich
    out there in Intrepid-land? Been kinda quiet in here lately. Rich14, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your '95? Hope you got it figured out....that kind of stuff is above and beyond my level of comprehension, so if it happened to me I'd end up having to get it towed to the mechanic!

I drove a Charger last weekend at a test drive event Chrysler was sponsoring at the Mopar Nationals in Carlisle, PA. It's not a bad car, but I don't know if its enough to make me want to ditch my Intrepid for it! For one thing, I don't like the interior as much...too plasticky compared to my '00 Intrepid, but to be fair they did start cost cutting on the Intrepid's interior around 2002. I also hit my head on the rear window in the back seat, and in some dimensions, the car is definitely smaller inside. For instance, I wouldn't want to try getting 3 passengers in the back seat, and the trunk is smaller too.

They only let us drive around on a short test course that we had to share with pedestrians and other show traffic, so I'll have to actually take one on a REAL test drive and see how I like it. But I have a feeling I'll be hanging on to my Trep for a bit longer.
    You will also hang onto your Trep a little longer because I say you will keep it a little longer... ;) :P :shades:
  • rich14rich14 Member Posts: 15
    havent fixed the problem yet,,,,
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    On my 00 Intrepid, and on my brother's 99 Neon, both of us have lost our hood ornament. All they are is a piece of rubbery plastic glued on, and it must be the temperature changes that worked them loose. Also, both of us have the letters on the outside of the car peeling.

One the bright side, the tranny is still working well at 66,000 miles.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Doing good, I'm glad you got to go to Carlisle. I want to go there myself someday. My 99 Trep is now at 102,000 miles and has become a second car now. We plan on having our son use it and take it to college when he goes in two years. Still runs great.

We drove a Charger, too, but didn't buy it.

We do have a new 300C in the garage, however.

Trunk in the C is smaller than the Trep, and back seat is about the same--a little bigger than the Charger, I thought.

The reason we went with the 300 was it seemed most like the 99 ES. We shopped for 8 months.

ES
  • erin68erin68 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am new to this but so glad I looked. I just had the same problem, gas gauge going down to empty, fuel light coming on and the bell ringing. Happened about 30 times in 13 miles-would do it a few times and then stop for a while; no rhyme or reason. It is extremely hot and humid here today-over 90 and the humidity is about 75%. Has anyone experienced this to be a constant problem or is this a once in a while thing? Thanks for your help!! P.S. my Intrepid is a 2000 as well, has over 126,000 miles on it and overall has been a great car...
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Take heart Erin.....Although my Intrepid does the same thing (needle swings followed by the low fuel warning chime) it does so very rarely. Every few months. Occasionally the display lights in my climate control will flicker--then return to normal. I attribute it all to a software glitch or a minor electrical system gremlin that causes no actual harm.
    My 2000 ES just turned 120,000 miles and is doing well. Thought it might take until summer's end but it turned early. I anticipate hitting 125,000 by fall with trips and other committments. We just sent my mother's "antique" 1994 Intrepid ES (with 47,000 miles) off to college with my niece. Looks brand new and should continue to provide safe, economical transportation for 4 years (finger's crossed). Other than that, her replacement red 2006 Charger SXT continues to work well. I've certainly enjoyed the occasional drives I've had in it.
    here are a bunch of pics I took at the Mopar Nationals in Carlisle a few weeks ago...
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v247/jgandrew/Mopar%20Nationals%202005/

It's mainly older stuff, but I took a couple overview shots to highlight how good the Intrepid turnout was. Oh, and if anybody's interested, Intrepid.net has a club get together there and a tent, and they'll feed ya, too. I had registered under another club, but I'm thinking about joining with them next year. So if any Intrepid owners are up for it next year, think about registering for the fun field at the Carlisle Mopar Nationals next year!
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    My transmission finally started acting funny - started downshifting a little harshly, and then the next day started making a funny noise. Finally the check engine light came on. I did the three ignition turn trick, came back with the code P0700 - which means the transmission computer told the main computer there is a problem.

Long story short, the noise has disappeared, but the shifting is still harsh. I believe it is the speed sensors, and for $14 for each sensor, I ordered them from Rock Auto.com. If that doesn't fix it, then it is off to my mechanic, but speed sensors are the most common issue that is often misdiagnosed.

Luckily still have Old Blue, my 94 Grand Marquis around, as I can take the time on fixing the Dodge.
    Andre,

Thanks for the great pictures. I am enjoying them. When I die, I want heaven to be just like that Mopar Nationals meet.

Ed :D
  • lbeasmanlbeasman Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 2000 'Trep certified pre-owned. it has same engine: 2.7 L 24v. A week after buying it, the problem identical to yours occurred. With my extended warranty in hand, I took it back to same dealer. After trying to tell me that I topped off at fill-up(which they advise against, and in fact I didn't) , the service department found that the fuel pump had an open circuit. They had to replace the fuel pump and the sensor in the fuel tank(probably why the service department balked is it is a hassle dropping the fuel tank). Actually the proper name was a fuel pump module kit. It has been 13 months now 12k miles later. The car is in top notch condition. No problems since then. :D:)
    Jason,
    Thanks! That problem must be along the same lines as when my interior lights just come on while I am driving-always fun. And then there are all the blown-out bulbs on the dash. Has anyone had these replaced? I am presuming this is a dealer job-is it expensive? For now, if I get pulled over, I just tell the officer that I couldn't see how fast I was going and giggle (just kidding!). Thanks again... :)
  • talkinshoptalkinshop Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 intrepid - bought it in 99 with 34000 miles. It now has 154000 miles!
    This has been a GREAT car. An odd noise has developed in the last month, though. I can't here it from the driver's seat but I have had 2 passengers in the back seat tell me that on an uphill acceleration that it sounds like a flat tire! (no - there is not a flat or even a low tire). The car still seems to handle fine.
    Any ideas on what might be happening? I know that with this many miles, there are bound to be some problems come up.
    Thanks,
    Could one of the belts in a tire be broken or deformed? This was the case recently on my '99. Feel around the rear tires for a deformity. That's how I found I had a broken belt in the tire on the left rear. A different tire fixed the problem. A sound like that is either a tire, brake, or wheel bearing. One other thought is an exhaust leak, since it occurs when the engine is working harder, accelerating while going uphill.

Good luck.
  • davem2davem2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 inrepid. Now when the car warms up to normal driving temp, the tranny slips a little and shifts hard between 1st and 2nd gears. Any experience with this problem?
  • tedw521tedw521 Member Posts: 5
    Our family has a great 1998 Intrepid SE 3.2 with 209K miles. Engine has been fantastic, and the transmission was rebuilt by a very good shop at 170K miles. Much of the car is still original, but now it is needing some significant work to remain driveable: tie rods and shocks with the second time replacement of the belts and water pump coming up soon. We've been putting up with the fact that the secondary A/C cooling fan, and climate display panel work only when they feel like it. Tires, brakes and battery are new, but it never had a muffler.

The miles are almost all highway, and the leather interior is in good shape, but I know that eventually the secondary systems are bound to die as the car ages. Does anyone have any idea as to the cost of these things? How safe is it to drive with the tie rods being shot? If we do get rid of it, might it be better to part it out somehow? Edmonds says that the car is worth $820 based on the mileage and the "rough" condition.

I know there's a lot of griping about reliability, but this car has never let us down, and it's fantastic for a kid to use to move stuff to college with it's huge trunk and folding seats. Wish they still made this car.
    First things first...tie rods are usually critical in maintaining steering ability and alignment...poor tie rods should cause the car to be removed from the road IMMEDIATELY.

Everything else is strictly up to you...with a value of $820, I would put up to $500-$1000 into it, if everything is that good, and drive it until the wheels fall off, hopefully at a speed no faster than 3 mph... ;)

Boil it down to this...if steering, suspension and brakes are working well, the car is generally safe...drive it until the floor drops out and Fred Flintstone rejects it as a trade-in... :shades: :shades:
    do the tie rods. When they fail, you lose steering control completely, and the best thing you can do is just slam on the brakes and hope you stop before you hit anything. When a tie rod fails, I believe whichever wheel it fails on will immediately turn inward. Not a good thing, especially at high speed!

I'm not sure about on something newer like an Intrepid, but I don't think a tie rod is a very expensive part to replace. As for belts, hoses, and the water pump, that stuff is just considered maintenance these days! But, once you start factoring in water pumps, that can be very expensive maintenance! I wonder how much the struts would cost to replace? I kinda miss the old days with shocks. Sure, you had to replace them every 30-40,000 miles or whatever, but you could usually do it yourself, and for under a hundred bucks!
  • tfrionlitfrionli Member Posts: 1
    My wife has the 2000 'trep and it just started tonight. Every 10-20 seconds its goes to Empty makes the warning sound, even the trip computer reads DTE 0. Thanks for the advice, if there's anything you'd like to add, please email me or post here.
  • redintreredintre Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find a buyer for my 2004, red, nascar edition intrepid, with black rims. I am aware that there is an auto club for these special editions, have any of you heard of it? If so I would be interested in an e-mail address or phone #.

Thanks, ( and yes, I love my intrepid, just looking to buy the next one!!)
    Ted,

with 209,000 miles I would fix the suspension stuff and try for 300,000 miles. Post your mileage on the Allpar website. They keep a list of Mopars with high mileage. You may be able to get it on there, now. We are only at half that mileage on our 99. I hope my son takes it to college in a couple of years and we approach 209K miles. :D:D
    Uh, I hate to say this, but if you have a 2004 trep, I think you have the last of a dying breed...there is no "next one" is there???
  • freak showfreak show Member Posts: 21
    Guys im lookin if someone can help me with this...i have a 02 intrepid...prob is that i had a fender bender on it..@ 5mph the guy hit me head on...no clear damage on both the cars but the prob is that the air bags on mine opend...i gues just a freak occurence...neways have tht replaced... but the rt side cover is very hard to find as it is the whole dashboard panel..my question is how do i close it without changing the whole dashboard...i found an old dash board in a salvage yard here in chicago but the guy said that the VIN frm tht car will come with it so i will have to do a whole reinspection on the damn thing and i am not in the mood of doing so..help me on how is the best way to close tht damn airbag cover
    FrEa|<
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    I would contact a body shop and find out how they would handle this situation. I wolld consider having the salvage vin number removed and replaced with te one from your airbag torn one replace it.
  • freak showfreak show Member Posts: 21
    well already replaced both the air bags on it...the computer and the sensor tooo but cannot figure out bout the cover neways will try the yard in the morn
    FrEa|<
  • ssaayy10ssaayy10 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I have a 2000 Intrepid that I got from my grandparents. When I got it the car only had 19000 miles on it for being
    years old. Well now it's 5 years old and it just turned 40,000. I've noticed when i can to a stop my temp. goes up and the heat doesnt work but if I'm driving at a steady pace the heat will work and the temp. wont go over the half way mark. I thought it was low on coolent which I put in and that seemed to help but now it's doing it again. Any suggestions would be great. Its the 2.7 liter. Debateing if I should get rid of it. I heard a few bad stories about the engines on those.

Thanks
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    If it's happening when you come to a stop...you may have limited airflow from a malfunctioning electric fan. Have your mechanic check the fan... I don't think you need to equate rising engine temps to a flaw in the 2.7 liter engine just yet...
    at this age, you might want to just go ahead and flush the cooling system, if it hasn't been done yet. At 40,000 miles you're nowhere near the mileage limit, but you're beyond the 5 year part of that 5/100K coolant.
  • foxmidfoxmid Member Posts: 1
    Well, like an idiot, I decided to do some repairwork on my own. I replaced the driver side window + window motor, and also replaced the passenger side radiator fan motor (it had died, and was causing the car to run hot). After putting everything back together, I now have no radio, no interior lights, no power door locks, and no trunk pop button. Also, when the key is first turned to the "ON" position, the horn will honk quickly.

The car still runs fine, the exterior lights work fine, the AC/Heater unit works, but now cycles through defrost, feet, to vents, and from hot to cold, like it doesn't remember the previous setting.

Everything had worked fine previous to this, and I have checked the fuses for the various components, and they are all fine. The windows roll down just perfectly, and the doors lock automatically when the car gets over 15 mph.

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, but no dice. The radio will make a slight pop in the speakers when you turn it on, but you never get the clock or any response on it..

Any thoughts? Thanks guys...
    so how hard was it to replace the power window motor? Is the motor bolted in or rivited in? I've replaced a few power window motors, but on a much older, simpler car...swapping them from an '89 Gran Fury to a '79 New Yorker. Once you got all the door trim off, it was just a matter of taking of three bolts and the motor came right out. And the wires just unplugged. All four of the windows on my '00 Intrepid still function, although the passenger side one seems to roll down slower than the rest. I've thought about when the time comes and one of 'em fails, that I might try it myself.

But after reading your story, I'm starting to have second thoughts! :surprise:
    I tried to change the battery myself. It did not go well. I jacked the car up to remove the tire, opened the front fender liner door, and looked around. Opened the hood to find the bolts for the battery tie down. Was able to get the bolt on the fender side loosened, but the one on the radiator side is near impossible with the tools I had. I opened the air cleaner box and removed the top and hose to the intake. I tried to remove the box, but could not figure out the connector on the engine side. Does anyone know how that connector comes out? It appears that if you can get that one out, the box should come out of the fender side easily. That is where I am right now, but I have my doubts that I can do this without having some more specialized knowledge. Luckily it is the original battery that was put in at the Brampton factory back in February, 1999. I may have to say "uncle" and let someone with more know how than I do it. :confuse:
    May I make a sugggestion...if you are going to have your local garage replace your power window motor, be sure to have them order the parts before hand. Last winter, I was carless for a week over Christmas break when mine broke because my mechanic didn't want to charge me labor to put the door back together and take it apart again when the parts came in. I guess it's a fairly labor-intensive job. :D
    I changed my battery back in late May, just before my Florida trip. As I recall, I wasn't able to figure out the air cleaner box, where it's mounted to the inner fender, either. It looked like something that just pops in, but I didn't want to wrestle around with it too much for fear I'd break it. I was able to twist the air cleaner box out of the way somewhat, though.

Here's a rough rundown of the ordeal I went through that day, copied from a post I made awhile back...

Anyway, you basically have no choice but to jack up the car and take the tire off. You can see the battery from under the hood, but it's too big to bring it out that way, as about half of the battery is actually underneath the headlight assembly. It's best to take the air cleaner assembly loose though, because it does make access to the hold-downs much easier.

The little plastic panel in the wheel well is pretty easy to take off, but be careful, because it's held in place by these little bolts that go through these clips that are attached to the panel. They're not attached very well, and will fall off. Also, when you're taking off the bolt for the hold-downs, make sure you cover the positive terminal with a rag or something, or you'll most likely be hitting it with your socket, and making a nice little firework display of sparks. I wonder how many people have been electrocuted trying to replace one of these batteries?

I'd say the whole ordeal took me about an hour and a half, maybe a bit more. One reason it took so long though was because I had to keep hunting down tools, and the socket I used had something wrong with the ratchet. It kept going into, for lack of a better word, "neutral". Somewhere between on and off.
    Don't forget to tell them how happy you are that folks on this topic strongly recommended that you change that batt for good, proper, maintenance... ;);)
    funny you'd mention that. I actually had a dream about that battery the other nite! In this dream, I let one of my friends borrow the car, and he had to have it towed back home when the new battery died! I was all set to replace the battery, AGAIN, but thankfully I woke up, and realized it was all just a dream!

The battery in my '67 Catalina finally called it quits on Wednesday. I went out to the car after work, turned the key, and . Now, it's done that sometimes in the past, and all I'd have to do is jiggle the cables a bit to get it running again. But this time, no amount of jiggling would do it. Oh, and I also noticed that it had a Motorcraft battery in it! My first thought was, how did that get in there?! But then I remembered. A few years ago, my Granddad was worried about the battery in his Taurus. It was around 4 years old, I guess, and while it was still working fine, he just wanted a new one. Well, I figured I'd save him a few bucks, so I changed it for him, instead of having him go to the dealer. It's only like a 5 minute job in a '94 Taurus, almost the polar opposite of the Intrepid!

Well, I held onto the old battery, and I guess at some point I put it in my convertible, and forgot about it. Until Wednesday! :cry: One of my managers tried to jump start me with his '96 Accord, but I guess it just didn't put out enough juice. So he gave me a ride home, and I came back up to work later with my '79 NYer, and it fired right up.

So, in short, that little Honda just didn't have what it took to jump start that Pontiac with the Ford battery. No, it took a CHRYSLER to do it! :P Advantage, Mopar! :shades:
    Get that great GM feeling, with genuine GM parts!!!..........NOT......... :P :P :shades:
    Call me a wimp. I had a local independent garage change the battery for me. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him what the car is. He described what they had done in the past with 300Ms, Concordes, and other Intrepids. I hope the new one (Interstate) lasts as long as the original. :shades:
    if you don't mind me asking, how much did the shop charge to change the battery? Even though I ended up doing mine myself, it was enough to almost make me want to trade in the car before it's time to replace the battery again! I had the first battery for 5 1/2 years and around 105,000 miles. So when I hit 11 years and/or 210,000 miles, my Intrepid is outta here! :P
    210,000 miles and 11 years...that is what I call an OPTIMIST!!!... :shades: :shades: