Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• makaiirismakaiiris Member Posts: 1
    Dealer today gave me a price of 16,500 (before taxes + reg.) for a 2001 radium sentra se with performance package and a sunroof. this price is 200 above invoice. it also includes a 300 advertising fee!!! and he said it was legitimate and showed me his invoice with the price written on it. whatever. anyone have an opinion on the price he gave me? could i go lower?
    I feel it can be lower. #158 (sentra4me) got a lower price even with all those extra stuff added.
    by the way, sentra4me, is yours auto or manual?
    what else did you get with your car?
    man i feel jipped.
  • stevieweevystevieweevy Member Posts: 12
    As a former auto mechanic, I can tell you that even though the car "feels" better in od, that should only be used for freeway or highway driving. Anytime you are going stop and go AND going 40 mph or less, you should not use overdrive. True you will get slightly lower gas mileage, but your transmission will love you a lot longer.
  • pickelfishpickelfish Member Posts: 5
    the mudguards on the se with the avalanche color is black. just got my se with the mudguards and they look fine.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    I am planning on buying a Sentra 2001 SE. I have loved this site. We have looked at every car under the sun for the last few months. I keep coming back to the sentra. Definitely the best value. Civic and Corrolla may last a long time, but after driving one you probably wish it would break down so you could get a different car! We mostly looked at the GXE's, but just drove an SE This week and we are hooked. The only problem is we definitely want the Performance Package with all its feature for only 699, but one feature we can't stand is the black cloth that is required. How is it as far as heat goes one the car has been sitting in the sun? Also does the A/C keep up for those of you that have had it over the summer? Finally the car will probably be mostly for my wife, I will be stuck with the 98 Altima, a great car no problems, but not as fun as the Sentra. Any way she hates the interior so much the only way I could get her to go with the sentra was to promise to have the dealer put in leather to cover it up! how do you people like the midnight cloth, and how ridiculous do you think leather would look in a sentra? Finally she really wants the white, but I would like the radium. I know it's her car, but I might have to drive it sometimes, and I wonder if white is too feminine for a guy to drive? All comments would be greatly appreciated. I guess two more questions, what was Nissan thinking about that interior,and how can we let them know we don't approve, and finally is there any more information about an armrest extender option for the Sentra since the factory one is almost useless?
  • eschradeschrad Member Posts: 3
    For those of you with questions about the SE
    model, maybe I can help. (Especially since the 2000 and 2001 models are identical.)

I got the 5-speed SE in Heatwave (red) with the Performance Package and sunroof, and I absolutely love it! After all the research and dealer comparison I did, I was able to get my car for the no-hassle price of $15,750 (w/ floor mats and wind deflector, too)... thank you Edmunds! I actually might have been able to go lower, but I had them searching the East Coast for a very specific car that was practically sold out everywhere. (Of the few they did locate, many of the other dealers weren't willing to part with them b/c they were the only ones they had.) My dealer definitely earned the little bit of profit they got out of me! Also, Nissan was doing a test drive promo, so for just test driving a new Sentra, I got a $50,
    high-quality, sporty brief bag for free... it's my
    current school bag!

Anyway... in regards to the midnight interior, I
    too was worried about having a dark interior like that and was wishing I could have gotten the stone color. But, the Perf Pkg was more important to me than the cloth color. When I got my car, I was pleasantly surprised with the interior. It actually is not black as the pictures imply... instead, it is kind of a dark gray. (Think a darker version of the stone color with a hint of midnight blue in the dark gray.) And actually, the trim on everything from the bottom of the windows up to the ceiling is not as dark as the trim on the lower part of the car and the floor. There are about 2 or 3 shades of this midnight blue-gray color used throughout the interior. I think it is very pretty and elegant looking and I am very happy with it.

As for the seat cloth, it is a very dark gray (almost black but not quite) with flecks of colors in it (mostly dark red, dark blue, and I think some dark green). It is kind of sporty-looking and I am happy with it. I got my car at the end of July, so I have had it through some hot summer days and I honestly have not noticed that the car gets any hotter than a car with a light-colored interior after sitting outside in the sun. (My mom got a 2000 Maxima SE with tan-colored leather and I think
    her interior got hotter than mine ever did.) I
    know what they taught us in physics class about dark colors absorbing more heat, but what difference does a couple of degrees make once you're up to 100 degrees or more anyway? :-)

Someone mentioned that they found the Sentra to be noisy at high speeds when there was a sunroof... I haven't had this be the case. It is possible that that particular sunroof was not installed properly. I did notice during the first week that I had my car (when I was waiting for the wind deflector to come in) that the wind was rather noisy when the sunroof was open, but I never had a problem with it closed, and I hardly ever close the cloth panel. After I got the deflector, the wind noise was much decreased... I highly recommend the $50 accessory. (See if they will throw it in!) By the way, the sunroof is tinted, so you don't get baked by the sun like you do in a Maxima.

The sound system is great! Mine has the 6-speaker system... one of the, like, two things they changed in the 2001's is that the premium sound system gets a 7-speaker system (a subwoofer was added). This is like the Maxima. (Oh well... I am not sure I would notice the difference anyway!) I love the CD player... I never really used a cassette player, so I don't miss that at all. The only thing I ever used one for was to plug in a portable CD player... what a hassle that was!!

I actually never got to test drive a manual SE.
    All the dealer had were auto GXE's. But in that
    drive, I realized right away that I wanted the SE
    with the bigger engine. My old Prizm only had a 1.6L-4 cyl., so I thought moving up to 1.8L-4 would be a marked improvement. But, as soon as I came off the interstate entrance ramp and tried to quickly speed up and merge with traffic, I noticed that even the 1.8L engine was a little sluggish. I am not sure I would have experienced this if it weren't for the fact that there were 4 adults in the car, one of those being my 6'5", 260 lb. brother! (Yes, he did fit in this compact car!) So, with that, I knew I wanted the SE. I couldn't be happier with my decision. The SE has great pickup and is very nimble.

(By the way, for those of you who have yet to test drive, I would suggest doing one with a full car load. First of all, you really get a feel for the size of the interior that way and secondly, you can really test out the engine. Then, if you want, you can do a second test with just the driver and the salesman, so you can see how the car will most likely feel with only one person in the car. I was actually worried about the Sentra being too small after my test drive... with my brother in the car, it did seem that way... but once I drove it by myself, it felt much bigger.)

Well, I guess that wraps it up... (congrats for
    making it to the end of this epic!) I apologize
    for this post being so long, but I just love my new car so much, it is hard not to gush about it! :-) Good luck to all you would-be Sentra owners out there... hope this post helps!

-eschrad
  • eschradeschrad Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I lied, I wasn't done. So, quickly...

I have not experienced a buzzy shifter... mine has been just fine. So, I guess that is kind of a random thing and not a widespread problem. I actually find the shifter to be very smooth and easy to use.

That's all!
    -eschrad
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Saw the post over keeping the overdrive available all the time including in the city. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Maybe the mechanic can tell us why it is preferable to leave OD off except on the highway???
    If you are referring to the post i put in about OD, no, there is nothing "wrong" with OD in the city stop and go per se, but it creates extra strain on the engine and trans. I used to own a 87 S-10 blazer. Notorius for transmissions not lasting past 50,000 miles. Mine lasted over 110,000 miles (Sold car) because i did three important things. First: changed the trans oil on a regular basis, two, installed a trans cooler, and three(most important)told my wife that she MUST not drive in OD in the city where it is stop and go 40 mph or less. Think of it as you would riding a 10 speed bike. If you are in a high gear not going to fast and then try to go fast, it's a strain on your legs. Same thing with the car.
    Thanks for the info on SE's Midnight Interior. I didn't mind the long response, and I'm sure other new buyers also appreciate any info they can get. I was wondering what anyone's opinion would be on putting the two tone leather(Medium gray, with Dark Grey) in the Sentra. And If white is too much of a girl color. The car is for my wife, but I love it and I want to drive it a lot too. My leaning is toward the black or the radium.
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    The thought has never crossed my mind that white is a girls' color. I've had my white SE since July, and gender discussions have never come up as a result. BMW's are popular in white, and I see a lot of guys driving them, as a further example. I wouldn't think twice about it, unless you're getting the Sentra in Fuchsia Pink.

Just added real wood trim to the door rings that circumvent the handles. It looks great, and does a nice job of adding an upscale look to the already impressive interior.

Been running synthetic oil and a high performance oil filter for the last few weeks. Of course, I can't tell a difference, but am looking forward to the long term and cold weather benefits synthetic oil provides. Also have an increased peace-of-mind feeling associated with it, particularly when I'm revving the engine beyond 6000 rpms ;-)

Going to get one last wax job in before the cold weather hits -- don't forget to wax those pretty alloy wheels.
  • davejaydavejay Member Posts: 18
    We purchased a 2000 GXE early this year, and were quite happy with it. 7,600 miles (and a cross-country trip to California) later, we're still happy with it.

At least one person has mentioned the air conditioning, and ours worked throughout the cross-country trip -- 8-10 hours a day for four days. It did have a little trouble keeping up in Nevada, but it seems understandable when the outside temperature is over 105 degrees.

There have been a few little issues, but they haven't been enough of a problem to mention to the dealer yet. Here's the list of every problem we've had with the car since delivery:

- Climate control knob won't turn all the way to Defrost, altough the defroster comes on just fine;
    - The center console trim piece (below the radio, above the shifter) won't seat properly on the right side, leaving a small visible gap;
    - The black interior trim piece backing the left-hand mirror came loose, but snapped back into place with a good shove;
    - The driver's seat fabric came loose under the front edge of the seat, but snapped back into place with a little effort;
    - There's an occasional 'clunk' coming from the steering column when parking.

That's it, folks. The clunk started a few weeks ago, and I will inform the dealer when I drop it off for service. I'll also have the climate control knob looked at. The remaining problems seem to be related to the early build date; the factory workers were probably getting used to putting the interior together. :)

In the meantime, it's quick, it's economical, it's comfortable, and continues to be a great car -- enough so that we're looking at buying another Nissan as our second car.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    Glad you are happy with your Sentra. You have mentioned that it is economical. Can you tell more precisely what is your gas mileage after 7600 miles? Is it automatic or standard? After break in period, is it quieter then brand new or the same?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sentrafan, I appreciate the input on the colors. I am sitting around on a layover in DesMoines IA and everyone thought I was crazy for thinking white is a girls color, except one guy from Belgium who thought it might be. It all may be a moot point, because I saw a Black SE with the tail and I was blown away. Even my wife thinks that looks great(the first color we agree upon!! Yeah!!!) The whole problem has been me. We went looking for a car for my wife and when we stumbled upon the Sentra SE I decided I wanted it, therefore I have had way too much input on the decision making process for her car. But that shows how great this car is. Anyway thanks for the input and thanks to Davejay for the info on the A/C. We will have to decide this weekend which one to go with. Sounds like we can't go wrong with either one. We will probably go with the black since I have officially stolen the car from her. Yes it will now be for me and she will get the 98 Altima that we already own. The Altima has been a great car and now we will add one more Nissan product.
    Starchecker,

My last car (95 Sentra GLE) was black, and so I did not want to get the same color again for variety's sake. Also, it is perhaps the most difficult color to keep up with, because it so easily shows dirt, dust, and scratches/swirls. However, when it's cleaned and polished it looks awesome. I'd recommend a weekly wash and adherence to a consistent wax routine, and I think you'll find you made the right choice. Let us know how the negotiations go, and good luck!
  • newsentranewsentra Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I did quite a bit of research, comparison and test drove Honda civic Ex 2001, Toyota Corolla LE 2001, Mazda Protege ES 2000 and Nissan Sentra GXE 2001. I really liked Nissan GXE 2001. What do you all think? Did I make the right decision? I am getting both the convenience and luxury package and I am paying $14,720. I am paying too much? After reading some postings here I am a little worried about the air conditioning problems and some noise problems above 65mph. Do I need to go for the SE model? Do the above problems exists in the SE model as well? If I should choose the SE model, how much more should I pay on top of $14,720? I also have another question regarding exterior color. I am going for Granite. Does this look good?

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.
    You are defintely making the right choice. We test drove all but the Protege, and feel the sentra GXE is much more car than all the others. The civic is very expensive and the engine when you accellerate almost requires the use of earplugs. You can get a totally loaded Sentra SE for the price of a Civic EX and have much more power. As far as the wind noise goes that was probably just with a poorly installed sunroof, as for the AC others have had no problems with it Nissan new about the problem and I am sure they fixed it for 2001. The New Sentra came out totally redesigned in March and so the 2000 model had some new car issues, but I think most have been taken care of towards the end of 2000's production year and definitely now that the 2001's are out.
    As far as GXE or SE goes, the GXE 5 sp. would probably have plenty of power. We live in Denver which the altitude really affects the perfomance of cars, so we opted for the SE. If you have an extra $1500 you can spare I would recommend the SE. We are getting our SE automatic with sunroof, and performance package which includes a spoiler(very sweet), sport tuned suspension, and all the other options included in a GXE Luxury and comfort and convenience package. Our price which includes the Ad fee and the Dealer prep fee is 16,695. The invoice is 16,045 plus $300 ad fee, plus 275 dealer prep(in colorado a dealer has to charge everyone that fee). Your price on the GXE sounds good. If you are OK with the pickup and power on a GXE then get it, if you can afford an SE and would like a little more sporty look I definetely think it is worth the price difference. Dont settle for less than at least $1000 off of MSRP.
    In regards to color, the Granite looks awesome in the brochure, but I have not been impressed with its look on the lot. I think the Radium would look better if you are inclined towards the gray/ silver colors, otherwise I think the black and white one look the best. Obviously that is a personal preference. Anyway good luck. You are definitely on the right trak.
  • biff4bdbiff4bd Member Posts: 1
    I’m amazed at how much some dealers are getting (and people are paying) for the Sentra SE 5speed. I ended up paying $14,950 -maybe $200 over invoice - before tax/tag (and NO ADV. FEE!) for my 2000 SE back in June (when they were even more rare). It is identical to the model tested in Edmunds’ comparison test - right down to the color, charcoal. It only has the security system and floor mats as options - but hey, it comes pretty much loaded. I test drove an SE with Perf. Pkg., ABS option, and sunroof, but would have been looking at about $2K more (plus more tax), and the dealer who had the loaded model hardly budged from MSRP. Worse yet, every model on that lot that had the perf. Pkg. and ABS also came with the $700 sunroof. I just came off a 3-yr. lease of a Maxima and had used the sunroof maybe twice, so I wasn’t about to pay for something I didn’t want (don’t you hate when they do that?). Bottom line, all the haggling was over the options, most of which I (or the car) didn’t need. And forget about recouping the cost of them at trade in (well, maybe the ABS).

I found the “base” SE at the dealer I had leased the Maxima from (Endicott in Pompano Beach - not affiliated with Autonation, thank God). Other than missing the ABS, I think I got a way better deal (in fact,the 1 or 2 SE’s with the perf. Pkg that I’ve recently seen on the street looked kind of gaudy in the surrounding traffic). Anyway, I can always upgrade the wheels or stereo, but in the meantime I got a helluva car at a great price. It’s as much fun to drive as my old Maxima (at ½ the price), reasonably quiet and luxurious, and I haven’t noticed a buzzing problem, but then I don’t use the gear shift as a handrest, either. The A/C is fine for S. Florida in the summer, the ride is not too stiff considering the handling, and the brakes are excellent. The back seat doesn’t have a ton of room, nor the trunk, but my 6' frame fits perfectly in the bolstered seat, and there is plenty of leg and head room. And the gas mileage is great.

Moral of the story: unless you’re going for broke, look into the SE w/o all the add-ons. The dealers seem to be gouging folks for the doo-dads that really are unnecessary on a car this good. But if you go to a dealer, something tells me you’ll see more loaded SE’s than not.
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    The perf package adds limited slip-invaluable for fast takeoffs, especially when turning during "liftoff". IMHO, this was worth the price of the perf package alone. The improved suspension and 16" wheels are nothing to sneeze at, either......
    However, there's no denying that even a base XE is a good car.....
    -quark
    (2000 SE 5-speed w/perf package and sunroof)
  • bigsmoothbigsmooth Member Posts: 14
    My car is granite, and it looks very nice.
  • happyman1happyman1 Member Posts: 23
    I liked the black color too (I will never have another white car), but I went for the Inferno color instead. The color is beautiful in the sun and at night. I have an se w/ perf package and sunroof and I couldn't be happier with the car or the color. If you get the black though, thats a good choice too.
    Happyman,
    Thanks for the input on the color, we decided to go with the Black One. Why did you decide never to own a white one? Also I am wavering on the performance package with the stiffer suspension. Does it make the ride to rough over bumps? Anyone's input would be great. I definitely like the SE suspension over the GXE, as you get less body lean in turns, but I don't wont to jar my bones every time I hit a bump in the pavement.

Biff4bd,

I noticed after my post about price you mentioned how you couldn't believe how much people were paying for their Sentra's. I think I got a very good price. Considering the invoice(not Sticker0 for the options I added over yours are ($606 for the Perf Pack, $730 for the Auto, and 519 for the Sunroof) You add the 1855 for those options to your price of 14,900 and you end up with 16,755 which is $60 more than I paid. We both got great deals, but the Invoice on you SE 5 sp no options is $13624 plus 520 delivery gives you an invoice of 14124, so thier invoice probably included an ad fee and a dealer prep fee if you got it for 14900 and that was 200 over invoice. If you were simply referring to the price others mentioned earlier than please disregard this, and I hope it gives helpful input to others.
  • wazappawazappa Member Posts: 32
    quark, you should be aware that your performance package does not include any rear sway bar let alone a stiffer one. I own a 99 Maxima SE, no rear sway bar standard; a 00 Sentra SE Per.Pak., no rear sway bar standard; and a 99 Altima SE, standard rear sway bar.

I think it is very misleading that Nissan advertises a rear bar for Maxima & Sentra. They DO NOT have one and badly need one.

I purchased a rear bar from Stillen for both cars. They take about 2 hours to install. The difference is apparent as soon as you pull out of the garage and turn into the street! The back end feels much more tied down and considerably more stable. Both cars benefit greatly but I think the effect is more pronounced on the Sentra.
  • jdx11379jdx11379 Member Posts: 4
    How does the acceleration between the auto SE and the 5-speed SE match up? The 5-speed w/ the 145 hp engine probably gets really good stoplight acceleration and passing power but does the auto SE feel like a typical econobox when it comes to these two areas?
  • cjsmittycjsmitty Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new 2000 GXE in June - we now have 3000 miles on it and noticed a thumping sound coming from the rear passenger seat (usually during turns or on bumpy roads). We originally thought something was loose in the wheel well - however we discovered it was the rear door. If we open and close the door quickly, we can duplicate the sound.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    No kidding? No wonder the back end feels a little dicey at lane change manuevers above 75 mph! Thanks for the heads-up! If you don't mind, could you describe what tools were necessary to install the rear bar? I could have sworn that the Perf Package literature indicated a rear sway bar was included on the Sentra SE, (as you mentioned.)
    Thanks again,
    -quark
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    hi everyone, does anyone experience thier sentra se w/ perf. pack. pulling to the right. i was told by a friend that it was the crown on the road causing the pull. i dont think thats it because i also drive a civic that tracks straight on the same roads. plus the steering doen't have that on center feel. seems slightly tilted to the right. are all these covered in the warranty, such as adjusting the allignment. feedback would sure help. thanx.
    All you need are hand tools... a socket set and some open/closed end wrenches will do the job. A set of jack stands so that you can work with the rear wheels off and the back end up makes life much easier.

The bar connects to the rear axle control arms with two brackets on each arm... a total of 8 bolts to tighten. It actually took longer to unpackage the bar, jack up the car, and remove the wheels, than it did to bolt up the bar. All in all an easy install and money very well spent. It make a noticeable difference in handling. Really calms down the rear end.
    I went to consider a gxe vs. a se sentra. I want the 35mph (5 speed)of a gxe, the power of the se (145hp)which gets 31 mph hwy. I can't get both, so i decided on the se with 145 hp at 31 mph highway. BUT, I also saw the altima, which has a 155 hp engine, also rated 31 mph (5 speed) more rear seat room, larger trunk, and I think a nicer interior. Top that off with a $1,400 rebate and money off from the dealer trying to sell off the 2000's and the dealer giving nothing off the se sentra and no rebate; seems to me, the altima is the better choice. Am I nuts? From a sentra buyer now thinking about an altima instead.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    um...do you mean MPG, not MPH...if your car only goes 35MPH, its slow and I'd take it back... If it gets 35MPG, then you can travel without refilling as often...
    my Altima does the same... Got a really good mechanic at Nissan (3 worked on it at once), and it doesn't pull.

Was told that the Nissans don't have the adjustment for Camber (I think). so they cheated. Inserted a metal thing into the control arm to force it to turn moreleft. Works wonderfully. Still pulls slightly, but not as much. Was also told, NissanUSA doesn't endorse what he did, but the mech said he worked at a body shop before and he'll do what it takes because it works..the other 2 guys were amazed because they didn't know about it.
    Yes i did mean 31 mpg
  • gooniesgoonies Member Posts: 24
    thanx for the response. im taking it to the dealership tommorrow.
  • skuosatxskuosatx Member Posts: 1
    Got a 2000 Nissan Sentra SE with the performance package back in August and I love it. One question I've been wanting to ask. Has anyone else used the rear window defroster, and has it discolor to a white-orange yellow color on the inside edge of the defroster on the back windshield?
    Thanks for the info on the rear sway bar. One more thing....where can I buy one? I searched under "stillen" on the net, but don't see where I can buy a rear sway bar for the SE.......
    Thanks again,
    -quark
    2000 Sentra is to new for bar to appear in Stillen catalog or on website. Just call their number and ask for a sales consultant and they will be able to assist you. They do have them in stock. They also have eibach spring sets....that will probably be next for me.
    Skuosatx,

I've used my defroster many times, and inspected it last night for discoloration, but found none.
  • happyman1happyman1 Member Posts: 23
    Approximately how much did you pay for this rear sway bar. I am interested in getting one, but I have already put $1000 worth of extras on my Sentra. I would appreciate the info.
    The cost including shipping was $247.
  • fpm2fpm2 Member Posts: 13
    I've read a couple of people's post in reference to the question of reliability of the new Sentra. It is often cited that the new VW's are also built in Mexico, so buyers of the new Sentra should beware. I have not seen any patterns forming in terms of posts about reliability problems with the new Sentra. I understand that the Sentra is too new to judge, but then again, I've seen plenty of VW posts about brand new cars falling apart. Anyone want to help me with this issue?
  • dancadanca Member Posts: 2
    I looked at the Sentra, Jetta and Neon. All of them are made in Mexico. I'll admit that bothered me a bit. Mexico isn't exactly known for its solid engineering. I also wonder why so many U.S. car factories have moved south of the border. How is that good for our economy?

I ended up with the Sentra GXE and am quite happy with it. I have heard that the factories are just as good in Mexico as they would be elsewhere. But I don't have any proof of it. I guess we'll see with so many cars being built down there now.
  • fpm2fpm2 Member Posts: 13
    The engineering is actually done in Japan, the interior was designed in California, and the car is built in Mexico.
  • rykeronerykerone Member Posts: 7
    Do you really want to know what I paid for my with the same option. Are you sure? Well, I will tell you then.

$15100 that includes tax, lic and doc fee. Not bad. I negotiated everything over the phone.

Has any one notice any problems with the air conditioning mode. When I put in bi level a funny sound (rattling sound) comes from the duct. I have finally gotten it take care. they have to replace the eehater core, and now I smell anti-freeze. Is this normal? Now I have some rstting sounds in the dash, since they has to take the whole dash apart to repair the the air conditioning. it took a month before they finally got the part in, but it is fixed. At the sametime my horn went out. That was replaced. Still having little problems, just concerns if the car is a lemon.
  • tjsentjsen Member Posts: 9
    It's probably too late since you took the car in for service, but I just checked the tire pressures on my SE after about 2,000 miles. It was pulling to the left and I also thought it was out of alignment. However, both left side tires were underinflated. They each had about 23 psi compared to 33 on the right front. After I equalized the pressures the steering was dead on. I couldn't believe the tires were that low. I guess checking tire pressure was not something my dealership does. Maybe this was your problem?
  • sunguardiansunguardian Member Posts: 4
    Am I wrong about this? Please let me know:

1. Canadian Sentra SE Automatic (2001) is claimed to get 29/39 city/highway (Nissan Canada) as compared to our 24/30 - what's up with that?

2. Variable timing available only on 1.8 engines, not on the 2.0 - huh? Variable timing 2.0 available all over the rest of the world, at 187 HP - why not in US? (BTW, the New Zeland 200sx is one evil car.)

3. Canadian models get day time running lights - don't care, but still - hey now! Are we second rate?

4. Nissan Canada claims metal chain timing belts come on both 1.8 and 2.0. USA Nissan touts feature only on 1.8 - did we get gypped again?

5. 1.8 is distributorless - not so w/ 2.0 - it also achieves peak torque at lower, more drag happy RPM - why not remodify the 2.0 to do the same?

Still like the SE - fun little sucker, but hey, why is America last on the list?
    According to freshalloy.com, the interior is a Nissan European design team job.
    And "the car was styled by Nissan Design International in La Jolla, California"
    the smell of anti-freeze is a leak in the blower or heater element. Neon's have the same problem, or did.

I would take it back at the soonest available time!!!

As for a lemon. you should have been given a booklet that shows the lemon laws in your state. Here in FL, if the car has been brought in 3 times for the same problem, or been out of service for more than 30days due to a repair in the 1st yr, its considered a lemon.

If you didn't get the booklet, go to the dealer and ask for one...
  • rykeronerykerone Member Posts: 7
    They just replaced the heater core, and I am wondering iof that could be the problem. I am thinking about waiting a couple more days to see if the smells goes away. Plus, I have been busy with work. Long hours for the military.
  • janngjanng Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 sentra GXE with about 2500 miles. I have recently noticed a smell like rotten eggs when I am stopped at a light or when I stop to park. Can anyone help me figure out why or has anyone else experienced this smell? Thanks.
  • bigsmoothbigsmooth Member Posts: 14
    I have a GXE with about 6000 miles, no smell here. I don't know what could be causing it, sorry. :(