Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Nissan
Welcome to the continuation of the Nissan Sentra
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived posts
and take a look at the 2000 Sentra First Drive.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• lambosun00lambosun00 Member Posts: 9
    Hi there again....there is a long wait on the Sentra SE. I too had to compromise on the color...from Iced cappaucino(gold) to Jaded(green)...all I wanted was automatic, abs and immobilizer. The dealer tolod me that abs and side airbags come as a package (how and why eludes me) so I said okay. Tomorrow I get the car..my wait was only 5 weeks (because of the compromise) otherwise I would be up there in the 12 week range also. My price was pretty good at 16100 so I ain't complaining. If you need a sporty car now...buy the Civic Si if you wait one more month....september actually the 2001 models will be out and SE production should catch up with demand.....but by that time we will all be waiting on the rumored 180hp SE-r
  • skay2skay2 Member Posts: 10
    I have been researching and learning for months and felt ready to go to a dealer. I went to my local Nissan today and did end up buying a car. The MA charge threw me though so not sure if I did well.
    I bought a Nissan Sentra GXE with floor mats and Convenience Package. MSRP $15048. He showed me what I believe was "factory" invoice because it had the holdback listed ($381).
    The invoice price listed as due payable to manufacturer was $14184. I was prepared for everything except the MA charge and that really threw me for a loop. They said they have to pay that to the manufacturer (I believe them) and he did not want to split the cost. So here is how the invoice was broken down. Base $13075, Con. Pkg. $131, Floor Mats $58, MA $400. Total $14184.
    I asked him to split the MA but he wouldn't. Then I made the mistake of losing sight of keeping the new car deal separate from the trade-in and got more confused. I ended up paying the $14184.
    Did I do OK or did I not? Thanks.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    180 hp SE_R????

where? where?

really?

I'd love to wring that car around some? Where can I read about this?
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    after tax tag title? carsdirect has it for 13784. so the dif is the MA fee. MSRP was right. looks like you shaved a grand. not bad. maybe if you haggled you could have done slightly better, but not by much. I say a good job..enjoy the new car. what color?
  • tpham1tpham1 Member Posts: 1
    I paid 12995$ for 2000 Sentra GXE , 5 Speed manual transmission with floor mats and Convenience Package. The dealer offer me 13800$ for same one with automatic transmission.
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Aren't there supposed to be cupholders in the front door panels? I guess I'm stupid, but I do not see any in my 2000 SE....anyone care to enlighten me?
    -quark
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I don't think there are suppose to be cup holders in the front doors. I have been in 3 different Sentras (two SEs and one GXE) and never saw them.
    It is just a rumour I heard from several people including my Uncle...who is currently in Japan with the military and some speculation from my compatriots at www.freshalloy.com

I hope it is ture though!
    The Edmunds write-up for the 2000 Sentra talks about cupholder "inserts" in the front door pockets....(see the 1st message and link on this board...) I'm guessing there is some kind of plastic attachment or insert that fits into the door pockets and holds a cup. I've seen this feature mentioned in all the write-ups on the car...I'm callin' the dealer to see if they "forgot" to include some parts on the car
    -quark
  • gucci3gucci3 Member Posts: 8
    quark99: While at it, can you check with your dealer if a fuel cap holder mentioned in the Sentra manual should come with a 2000 GXE? My dealer told me no 2000 Sentra actually comes with one even though the manual intructs you to place the cap in it.
    Well, you beat me. I wonder how they can sell them below invoice. I am not aware of any dealer incentives and holdback is only $381.
    I did haggle. I was just so confused to have the $400 MA upfront so soon. Basically I paid invoice + $400 which is 3% which I think I can live with. Damn nice car. Luxury compared to my bare 1986 Honda Civic Hatchback. The color is radium. Very nice.

sharon
  • akebonoakebono Member Posts: 3
    I wanted a 2000 sentra SE with performance package, and ABS in radium but they only had green available. I got the car last week and it's just amazing how much power this engine has. Someone mentioned earlier that the high speed passing was good on this car, i'd have to say its superb! there is no hesitation for the acceleration, it just goes and goes. you dont even have to rev it too high, i had it around 4000-5000 rpm's and it just takes off, i love this car.
  • smmismmi Member Posts: 1
    I'm driving an old Nissan Micra '89 and it still runs well, though a lot of rust after all harsh conditions in Canada - already almost 160,000km on it. I bought it second hand 132K km on it and so far am prety happy with it, no major repairs. But I'm thinking of a new car. Hesitating between Corola and Nissan Sentra.
    Would appreciate any help, advice or just a hint.
  • lovesentralovesentra Member Posts: 3
    I currently owned a Sentra SE 2000. Before I bought this car, I was pushed to test drive the Corolla at a Toyota dealer. The sales people there are so pushy eventhough you don't like it they still try their hardest to make a deal. Well, too bad, I have looked into the Sentra before and I really like it alot better than the Corolla.

The reason is simple, it is more powerful, more stylish both interior and exterior, overall the whole package is superb and you get more out from the price that they are selling. Well, by now you should have known all the details of the car compared to corolla, if not check it here at Edmund's, so it's no point that I go thru all the specs and et cetera.

Test drive both cars and you will see what I mean.
    Good Luck!
  • happyman1happyman1 Member Posts: 23
    In May I ordered a 2001 Sentra w/ the perf package, ABS & side airbags, sunroof, floor mats, auto trans, in Heatwave. The car arrives on the August 7. I was able to buy the car for exactly the invoice price (plus tax, etc.). I am very pleased with the deal I got. If anyone is from the St. Louis area, I suggest you go to Lou Fuse Nissan.
    akebono-

I alos recently got the...just a question aren't you supposed to break in the car?

I am having a hell of a time keeping it under 55. I have the automatic. The SE is just so tempting to drive fast. It just wants to go. I must say that with the performance package choose only smooth roads people.....slow to a dead stop for any bumps or potholes on the road. I live in NY so you know I am at crawl most of the time:)

The fit and finsh is excellent. Except for 2 things:

1) The chessy looking climate control knobs.(I hope Stillen rectifies this in his work-up of the SE:)

2) I dislike the so called midnight interior with the plaid like desgin on them...but it will grow on me I gues

However, everything else just looks great! The seats are very supportive and the car is so quiet at idle and at freeway speeds(eat your heart out Corrola and civic). I couldn't hear the exhaust while driving so I asked a friend to zip by me at 50 and also to accelerate from a dead stop....Its nice bellow but not too ricey. (After the warranty is up I will make it ricey!)

That is my 2 cents
  • gedgargedgar Member Posts: 1
    OK Need some advice.

I want an SE with Pref pkge but none in stock where I live. Dealer can get one and is willing to give me near invoice plus 200 doc fee +400MA + 21 tag +tax. Has to get it from another dealer.
    He might get one from Nissan soon but none are on his next two orders.

He'll sell me any other Sentra GXE on the lot for 1500 under invoice + 400MA +200Doc fee + 21 + tax.

That makes a significant difference in price between the GXE with conv and lux packages and the SE. Both with automatic transmission. What was a 1200 difference is now 2200 approx.

He'll put a spoiler on the GXE for 350-375 so looks are somewhat the same. yea I know side sills, bigger tires, 6 spokes etc. still roughtly the same.

Well which way would you go. I don't have an option of waiting more than 10 days. Bigger engine 4 wheel disks, fogs and sills worth 2k more

Thanks for reply
  • akebonoakebono Member Posts: 3
    lambosun00- In a mere week, I've already had 975 miles on it, I couldn't wait the full 1000 miles so I just started to drive it a bit faster. I probably rev'd it to around 4500RPM's.

gedgar- okay, think about this for a bit, the difference is 2200 you say right? here are the things you will get if you get the SE (and my opinion on them):

1)alloy wheels (much much better than the stock ones on the GXE, I've had many people comment on them already)
    2)4 wheel disc, (not too sure about the difference between the two, i know that rear drums are in the GXE, but i know that drums aren't as good)
    3)Fog lights (really depends on where you live, if you stay in SF like I do, I will use them alot.)
    4)Sills (barely notice a difference)
    5)Bigger and Better engine. (this is where i decided to get the SE over the GXE, for me, the difference in prices due to the total package from the SE was well worth it, I promise you will love the engine on the SE. I now have over 1000 miles on it, and I already love the thing to death. I've never looked forward to going to work ever before, now i get excited just b/c i can go drive my car. The GXE's engine has less horses on it, you really can't feel the difference at low speeds (0-45) but the SE's engine rocks at high speeds above 45mph. Once you hit the sweet spot of around 4000 rpm's, the car just takes off, and just when you think its gonna flatten out on speed, it just keeps accelerating. I haven't taken it too high (about 90 mph max today) but i plan on doing it soon.) just take a look on how that 2000 difference will effect your monthly's and if you will struggle to make ends meet b/c of it.

i mean, if you have the extra i would most certainly get it. anyhow enuff of my ramblings.
    thanks ..it will take me about two weeks to get to 1000 miles...the way you describe it and the way the car feels right now I can't wait.

On a side note, today I was almost goaded into a stop light drag by a smug civic si driver (a lady no doubt). She pulled up and gave me the ubiquitous 'look' but I smiled and politely declined. I know we shall meet again and then I will see how nissan power stands up to honda performance.
  • dcguydcguy Member Posts: 2
    I just got a Sentra SE, White, no options. I've been breaking it in, struggling to keep under 55-60 mph, keep from exceeding 4,000 rpm. (one tip, varying the speed from 55-65 is supposed to be good for breaking an engine in.)

I wonder, what's really the difference between the SE and G20? I'm thinking about sticking a chrome "G" in front of the 2.0 on the back. Prying off the ".".

Maybe replacing the Nissan logo with Infiniti ovals. Slap on a $200 fake wood trim kit. Bet 98% of the people would be fooled.
  • sentragxesentragxe Member Posts: 1
    I was a happy owner of Sentra 2k AT with perf pack. in radium while I picked up my car three days ago. Now I just doesn't feel so good about it. The 'Stage II sport tuned suspension' is a bit stiffer to me, is there any easy way to make it softer? Also the FM radio doesn't come with a good reception, I can't enjoy the channel I like any more, it just keep generating background noise...Yes, I'm sure the antenna is right there! The worse part is the from time to time buzz noise from right front chamber, caused by vibration I guess. The 180w audio is a waste under such circumstance. It's time to see a service manager... : (
    there is now way that this
    image looks like this image

or that this image

looks like

What you want to do is called Rice. for more explanation go to RiceBoyPage.com

Don't dis the Sentra and G20 by rebadging. You may fool 2% and the other 98% will think your an idiot.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Disagree with you a bit. Just the front and rear fascias look different between the G20 and Sentra to me. I wouldn't recommend rebadging either, but there are a lot of similarities in the basic design.
    I park near a G20 every now and then at work. I find the G20 more of a boxy design as opposed to the Sentra. Especially the back. anyone seeing the back will instantly know. You might get away with the front, but not the back. Besides, I think the Sentra looks better than the Infinity anyways. Now if this was the Altima (old gen) and the J30 or I30, then yeah they are way too similar, but not the sentra/G20.
    I think I agree with nikecar, G20 looks so boxy, if they can't see the difference between a square and an oval, it's their problem.
  • eleets00eleets00 Member Posts: 27
    Hello all. I've been reading the messages being left here the forums for while & this is my posting of a message. Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
    I have been seriously looking at the Sentra SE in Radium or Granite. But, I'm 6FT 260LBS (more line backer size, than fat), & my current car(unfortunately) is a 96 Ford Contour (on its 3rd tranny, 2nd in less than 7months. My Contour's front interior leg room measures up about the same as the Sentra's. My question is, does any out there who is my size have a Sentra SE & are you comfortable? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

eleets00
  • bigsmoothbigsmooth Member Posts: 14
    I am almost exactly your size (about a half inch shorter and 5 pounds less) and I have a Granite GXE automatic (the legroom is the same as the SE). I have the seat adjusted all the way down and back, and the steering wheel tilted up all the way, and I am sure you would have to do this as well.
    If you have it set this way, I find the legroom to be more than adequate. I can straighten my left leg pretty much all the way. My stepdad is about 6'2", 300+lbs and he can barely get into the car, but he is less linebacker and more o-lineman. His legs are pretty big and he has to wedge them under the steering wheel to sit down.

Personally, I am definitely comfortable in the car. If you like to drive with your left leg bent, it does get close to the steering wheel, but overall the legroom is good in the front seats. The seats themselves are pretty comfy, too.
    don't get anyone behind you....
    Does anyone here have more than 4 cupholders (i.e., the door side-pocket 16-20 OZ cupholder feature) or the "console armrest extender" on their Sentra??? I'm running into brick walls at the dealership. The armrest extender was an option on my SE that wasn't included, and it was labeled a "port" option, which means installed by the factory, I guess. The additional cupholder-in-the-door pocket feature is mentioned in both test-drive write-ups available at Edmunds (see link on 1st post on this board) and at MSN CarPoint Test Drive @ msn.com. I'm wondering if the standard cupholder feature was chopped off the car right before release. I'd like to get it because it's impossible to smoke and drink coffee in the morning at the same time. Both cupholders being used negates the use of the lighter and ashtray.
    Not the smartest design, but we smokers are used to taking it in the [non-permissible content removed]........so Nissan probably figured a few pissed-off smokers, so what? If anyone can tell me about the armrest extender, I'd also appreciate it.
    Thanks-
    -quark
  • ekim1116ekim1116 Member Posts: 2
    I will be picking up my car this tuesday. I got the blackout. I was very impresssed with the overall package. I got both the convience pkg and the lux pkg. I am paying $14661. I though I got a pretty good deal. I went to this forum just for the heck of it because i though for sure I would buy a Civic or Corolla. Thanks to all of you for making me test drive the Sentra. No comparision between the cars. I also thought the 1.8 engine had all the power I needed though I can understand why everyone loves the SE. I'm looking forward to many miles of trouble free driving!
    Believe it or not I'm going from my trusty 88 Chevy pickup to this. No need for the big truck anymore and I'm looking forward to a substantial gas milage increase. Well wish me luck and thanks for all the information. This site is great!
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    ekim1116,

Congratulations on your new GXE! The Blackout looks awesome, although it will ensure that you spend your idle time washing your car ;-) I've found that's not a problem -- I wash mine at least once a week, whether it's dirty or not. The GXE is a great value; the new motor is a significant improvement over the old 1.6 liter, and with all the packages you got your value quotient is through the roof. Remember also to break it in right during the first 1000 miles. At my 4000 mile oil change I think I'm changing to Mobil 1 oil and filter.

Good luck,
    Bob
    14661? is that out the door before a down? that's a good deal for both packages...
  • sfpinoysfpinoy Member Posts: 1
    Have been reading all your inputs and it has helped a great deal. Gonna retire the 210K 1987 Sentra Sdn after 13 years of faithful service and I only did the minimum maintenance. Car is a work horse - treated it more like a truck than a car! By the sounds of things I shouldn't have any problems finding 5sp XEs! Thanks for tips about cardirect.com and autobytel.com.
  • ekim1116ekim1116 Member Posts: 2
    14661 IS BEFORE TAX ETC. OUT THE DOOR IA ABOUT 1K
    MORE. I GOT A PRICE QUOTE FROM CARSDIRECT .COM THEN CALLED MY LOCAL DEALER AND ASKED IF HE COULD BEAT IT AND HE DID BY $100 AND ALSO HAD THE COLOR AND PKS. I WANTED IN STOCK. I COULDN'T RESIST. I THINK IT'S A LOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY.
  • rbrightrbright Member Posts: 5
    Quark99,

Good luck with those tires. I'll be going to 205/50s when my OEM tires wear out.

The owners manual does not recommend against synthetic -- why would it? Also, why do your service guys recommend against it? I suspect ignorance on their part is playing a role here, but am curious what their reasons are. Mobil 1 claims that you can use synthetic oil from day one, and several car manufactures do just that. At 4000 miles, I don't anticipate any problems switching over.
    I love synthetic oil, but do not use it due the monthly miles I put on my car. The Nissan service mechanics advised against using synthetic. I didn't press them for a reason, since I don't use it. Please, do whatever your information guides you to do. I thought I saw a warning against synthetic in the manual, however, if I'm mistaken, thanks for the correction!
    -quark
  • mckee4mckee4 Member Posts: 47
    The specs. for the new Sentras may be different
    but I've been using synthetic in my 97' GLE for
    almost 3 years and in my wife's 95' GXE for about
    2 years. Wouldn't use anything else at this point.
    The Nissan dealer I go to even sells Castrol
    synthetic and reccommends it. Of course more money
    for them at oil change. Mobil 1 is even used as
    stock/break-in oil in Mercedes/Porsche. Be sure
    and check the owner's manual, it may indeed say
    something. Maybe the techs. meant not using it
    before break-in is complete. I changed over to
    to Mobil 1 at 5K miles, after break-in.
    Did u cut and paste it from your previous message?
    Anyway, if you don't like the car than don't worry about it, because it's NOT going to change other people's opinion for a higher performance car than your 93 sentra(outdated) or the Civic SI.
    The Sentra SE has a 2.0 engine, non of the Civics has it. I think making a big deal out of the truck release button is not wise at all. It's just a matter of getting used to it, just like if someone removed the position of your toothbrush, then you have to look all over for it. It is actually easier to reach than the previous position, unless you like to bend over;)
    No trunk light? Mine has it.
    I like the idea of the trunk knobs, but let's say you like in a rainy location (FL) and you forget the umbrella in the trunk. I don't like the idea of getting out, getting wet, then getting the umbrella. They should have made a locking seat down as in the Civic that only opens with the master key and not the valet.
    For your information. I love the titanium dash lights and as for the floaty feeling you experienced on your one solitary test drive, what do you think a Sentra SE is? A SCCA outfitted racer or a Porsche 911 Turbo....jeeez its an economy car that gives the driver some modicum of fun. If you want a racer....buy a BMW M5 or another performance car. No trunk light? My car also has a trunk light. Lack of trunk space....get an SUV.
    I agree with quark99, styling is a matter of choice and I(the car too:) get lots of adoring looks wherever we go. This past weekend I went to a local speed strip on Long Island, NY where both domestic and import draggers come out to play (better known as rice boys). The majority liked the style and were impressed that the car was bone stock with side sills, spoiler and handsome rims. I am still in the break in phase so couldn't impress them more with a 7.9sec 0-60 time...but next week I go over 1000 miles. I'll post how I fared in the stop light to stoplight wars.

But anyway do really think you going to smoke me with any stock civic si....ha! Don't believe honda's hype of 160hp. That is at the fly wheel. I don't have the exact figures at hand but I think the Si makes 133hp - 135hp at the wheels about the same as my Sentra SE.

sentra se = min max and that ain't necssarily a bad thing!

lambosun
    If you go to the dealership and "test" brand-new cars by red-lining 'em as soon as you get off the lot......well, hope you buy the dang thing so the next unsuspecting buyer doesn't get saddled with a slightly abused motor....sorta like "sampling" food at the supermarket and then hiding the evidence so someone else pays for the damage.
    I'll get off my soapbox and drift back into anonymity now.....
    -quark
  • mckee4mckee4 Member Posts: 47
    Whatever it's worth I only buy new cars with
    ~ 10 - 15 miles on them, just for that reason,
    so that someone hasn't taken it home for a
    weekend and thrashed it to kingdom come.
    I test drove a Saturn SL2 (actually the salesman
    test drove it for me) a few years back. He took
    the car up to redline 4 - 5 times, applied the
    handbrake at speed and performed a few other
    stunts with the car. He actually expected me to
    but his thrashed piece of junk Saturn after that.
    I walked off the lot with nary a word.
    Off-hand I've not test driven the new SE or GXE
    models, but anything has got to a big improvement
    over the 95'- 99' GA16 anemic motor. Nissan
    must've retuned the GA16 about 97' cause mine
    feels stronger than my wife's 95'. The 95' GXE
    engine still does not burn oil, at least noticably, between oil changes but even after a minor tune-up still has ' 0 ' punch to get on the freeway or even pass on the freeway.
    As we are, or will be, in the market soon, I may
    be able to convince my spouse to consider the SE,
    once production and supply increase. In the Houston area SE's, it seems, are in short supply.
    Might be a hard sell though 'cause my wife is
    ready for the 'large(er) family sedan', i.e Accord, Camry, thing.
    Don't go back into neverneverland....your contributions are greatly appreciated. Your advice on the right tire combo for the SE made my friend estatic. He went right out and bought new Sumitomos. Next week we will run our own comparo. Stock vs Upgraded.
  • sentrabuyersentrabuyer Member Posts: 3
    I'm planning on buying a 2000 sentre gxe (auto + conv package) within the next two weeks. The best deal I've been offered so far is $14,184 + tax, title,license and documentation. Do you think I could get a better deal? I got this deal through stoneage.com.
    When I stopped in to the dealership with my survey yesterday, they had a loaded 2000 Sentra GXE on the showroom floor with some Japanese 16" x 7" chrome alloys and 215-50-ZR16 tires. I think the tires were T/A's.....Anyway, I guess there are no clearance issues on the GXE's. The setup looked great, but there was a $1,995 Dealer Charge for the tire/wheel setup. That's about $600-$700 profit, just on the package. I guess some unsuspecting buyer will go for it, if they're unfamiliar with tire and wheel prices. If I could afford to install 7" wide wheels, I'd add 225-45-ZR16 Yokohama A520's at about $500 a set. Those tires will fit on the stock SE 16" x 6" wheels, but I think you'd lose some sidewall stiffness due to the 3/4" "bulge" of tire hanging outside the wheel. I'm still planning on the 205-50-ZR16 Sumitomo's unless I hear reports about problems from others on this board. Does anybody know if Nissan service will recalibrate the speedo to match different tire sizes? (computer adjustment)
    -quark
    Thanks for your kind comments.
    I'll be waiting for the report on the Sumitomo's!
    Step-by-step, gotta improve the "jouncy" handling and increase driver confidence during high-speed cornering...we'll get it done, slowly and surely.
    -quark
  • larryzonkalarryzonka Member Posts: 1
    When will the 2001 Sentra's be available?
  • tom_mcdonaldtom_mcdonald Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. Looking at a '99 Sentra GXE Limited Edition package at $10,500. Milage is 18K, and it's manual shift. I thinking that this is a fair price from the dealer.

My question is, why buy a Limited Edition package vs. a normal GXE? Any thoughts out there - is it worth it? And just what the heck is a tachometer?

TM
  • elizabeth20elizabeth20 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I'm searching for a sentra gxe and the best and most upfront deal I have gotten is from a great dealer (I'm new to this townhall concept, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post the dealership name and salesperson - please let me know if that's okay, because I highly recommend this guy!) outside of Chicago: 2000 Sentra GXE automatic with convience pkg and mats for 13,659. This does not include 48.80 doc fee and taxes. That's about 400 below invoice. It's the best I've found so far (got this dealer's name from one of the online places, either stoneage or autobytel.
    Anyone coming in at a lower price? And if so, where?