Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    What I find mind boggling is that this has NEVER happened until a few weeks ago. I have been through car washes and storms many times before, but this issue has surfaced during the last two heavy rains. My car is out of warranty so I will have to pay to have this fixed. I did notice moisture in the area between the door and dash and under the dash when I first detected this problem. This is really unbelievable.
    Reading some of the past posts its amazing how people have had the same issues that I have. I had the ignition switch failure the DAY after my 5 year warranty expired and it cost me $400 to fix at the dealer. I also had the leaking intake gasket problem but that was fixed under warranty. I was told the repair would've cost me about $800. I had my brakes and pads replaced several times as well. Its obvious that GM cut some serious corners with this car, or at least rushed it to market without proper testing. I know my car cost them a fortune in warranty repairs and they deserved it 100%. Now I'm mad because issues are costing me money. Its a shame because its a good looking car that handles well.
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    It's getting tougher and tougher to find GM shops that will honor that warranty anyway. Two local (formerly Olds) dealers won't touch my car.............

My Alero's brakes have been perfectly reliable. I've always believed that GM's front disc/rear drum setup has all the kinks worked out. I won't have the head gasket prob; I have the Ecotec. Only time will tell if my ignition switch fizzles.
    I never had a problem with warranty repairs and nothing that was ever fixed resurfaced so I cant complain about the dealership at all. I had my front brakes replaced once and the pads twice, I just had my rear pads replaced within the last 6 months which is OK by me. The brake issues werent too annoying to me. The gasket issue, failed steering pump and ignition were very annoying. I have never had any electrical or turn signal problems with my car. It has worked 99% of the time, but that 1% is still too much.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    I bought my car new, garaged it its whole life. The water leak didn't start until in the 4th year.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I had all the same problems mentioned plus the latest one of the front hub bearings. Mine is (or I should say was)a 2000 purchased new always garage kept, well cared for with 74,000 miles. I was always pleased with the car and think I did alright with it over the past 7 years in spite of all the repairs. But I didn't want to deal with the possibility of more repairs and the inconvience that goes with it. I traded in for a 2007 Pontiac G6. I guess I never learn. I got another GM. It's those darn GM credit card points that keep me coming back.
    was your water leak corrected by resealing the rubber at the base of the windsheild? I looked at my rubber seal and there was some debris and leaves crammed between the seal and the base of the windshield. I assume that is how water was getting in the car. What do you think?
    How has the G6 been?

This car has not been typical of the GM cars in my family. My parents had a Caprice and currently have an Intrigue. The intrigue has had a few issues lately, but its over 9 years old and has over 90K miles. For the most part it has been reliable and they had far fewere problems in their first 5 years than I've had. Same goes for the Chevy which lasted 12 years. If I were to have similar issues with my next GM car I wouldnt buy GM again, but I think the Alero was just a problematic model. As I said, my car has cost GM a LOT of money. I probably had 7 things repaired under warranty in 5 years, the most serious being the gasket. Also had squeaky door hinge replaced, starter and loose window lock-out switch replaced.
    I appoligize in advance if anyone feels I am using the Alero form to discuss the G6. But I am discussing the G6 comapred to, and as a replacement for, the Alero so I feel this is appropiate.
    First of all I am not trashing the Alero. I stated my experience with it over the last 7 years above. Even knowing what I know now I would still do it all over again.
    But to answer your question, the G6 is doing great but I only have 3000 miles on it. I would have said excatly the same about the Alero at that mileage.
    The Alero had a sticker price of $20,000 back in 2000. The dealer discounted it $2000 and I had $6000 in GM card points bringing it down to $12,000. This is a deal I thought I would never see again. But fast foward to 2007. The G6 had a sticker of $20,700. $1,000 dealer discount + $2,000 GM rebate + $1,000 Conquest rebate + $3,700 in GM card points bringing it down to $13,000. Almost the same deal.
    I got the EcoTech 4 cyl in the G6. It has the same HP as the Alero 6 cyl did but delivers slightly better gas mileage. But only slightly better. The Alero had a good 6 cyl with excellent gas mileage. In my opinion the G6 is a good solid car very similiar to the Alero when it was new but hopefully without the problems. Customer satisfaction is high as long as long as you stick with the basics. But if you move up to things like 6 cyl, manual trans, panaramic sunroof, hardtop convertible the GM type problems really surface. The G6 lacks the low tire warning that the Alero had but does have very nice electronic power steering, factory remote starter, excellent Driver Information Computer for mpg, miles remaining, time, temp, % of oil life left, etc., Traction Control like Alero, ABS like Alero.
    well I see why you got the Alero and G6, those were great prices. My Alero stickered for $23,600 and I got a $2000 discount from dealer and I had a $1500 voucher from Olds. I would hope you get better mileage from a G6 4 than the alero V6. I'm only getting 17-18mpg in mostly city driving. If I knew everything I knew now I would not buy the same car again even though it served me well for the MOST part. The problems I did have were excessive in my view but fortunately the car is still worth something. I could sell it for $9k right now.
    The G6 is only getting about 23 mpg with mostly city driving. I am hoping that gets better once I get some mileage on it. My 2000 Alero 6 cyl got 21-22 mpg under the same driving conditions. The Alero got 32-34 on the highway.
    If you can get 9K for a 2002 GLS I would go for it. KBB trade in is only about 6K and private party sale is about 7.5k based on 60,000 miles. If you have higher mileage I would definetly go for it.
    Only have 50k miles. I checked kbb and they said my car was worth about $8200 in private sale but when I checked autotrader I saw comps for $9k-$10k and I was surprised. I am leaning towards Aura XR or Malibu, but obviously I dont know how much the Malibu will cost just yet. How ironic would it be if the Alero's 2nd owner has far fewer problems than I did?
    I'll take 23mpg over 17mpg any day. If you got 21mpg from your car in mostly urban driving I am impressed. In the winter my mileage could easily dip to 15mpg or so, I'm talking 180miles per tank- I usually put in around 12.5 gallons.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    The dealer subcontracted the repair to a local glass place. I didn't actually see what they did. I assume they just put a caulk-type patch at the base of the windshield, since they didn't remove it and reseal the whole thing.
  • dlc2dlc2 Member Posts: 10
    My daughter has a 2001 V6, with only minor problems so far, but she only has 42,000 miles on it. Brakes were replaced at 20,000 and the wheel bearing at 27,000. Nothing done under warranty. Her boyfriend hasn't been so lucky. His manifold gasket replacement cost $680 from the Pontiac dealer. I spoke to the rep at Oldsmobile Customer no-service, and the guy was pretty rude. I have quit using my GM credit card so I won't be tempted to use the $1600 in points, and will serously consider an Accord when the time comes. Too bad, because I really like the Pontiac dealer.
    I dont blame you, but I think the alero was just a problematic car. My parents have an Intrigue and it had none of the same issues that my car had. Matter of fact it was trouble free for at least the first 4-5 years.
    I like the looks of the Alero, and it's a fun car to drive, but when you consider all the problems with this model, I'm just not fired up about GM. I have been holding my breath on the lower manifold gasket, and my sons Grand Prix V6 falls is also know for the gasket problem. On the other hand, my 1990 Lesabre with 115,000 has had minimal repairs, and still runs fine. I really want to buy American, but am hard pressed to go GM again.
    As far as I know most GM models that have come out in the last 5 years or so have been devoid of major issues. The Alero came out in 1998 and it obvious GM didnt make the necessary changes after problem issues surfaced. Since my car was a 2002 one would THINK they would've stopped using the faulty components by then. One thing is for sure, you arent guaranteed to have a problem free experience with any brand, it seems like Toyotas are having issues these days as well.
    I resealed the rubber at the base of my windshield with epoxy last night before a rain storm. This morning by passenger side was soaked again. It made no difference whatsoever. Any other ideas? I really do not know where this water is coming from.
  • tainted24tainted24 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem and resealed mine as well, it seemed to work for me. Did you check out the water deflector in the door? That was my next guess on my car if the windshield didn't work.
    what do you mean my water deflector? The reason why I dont think it's the door is because the rubber trim was dry when I opened my door this morning. The inside of the door frame seemed completely dry. There was water in between the door panel and fuse box door though. I really wish there was a TSB on this issue that clearly spelled out what to do. I cant understand how this has happened now after no problems in over 5 and a half years.
    The water deflector is the plastic door water shield located in between the door and the inside trim. I took a picture of a manual illustration and will try to attach to this site. Please check out these two website links.
    "General water leak Diagnosis Guide #01-08-57-007a" It's a two part link.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1474.html

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1475.html

I discovered the leak because I was replacing my blower motor resistor and discovered tons of water in the motor housing and found out that it was pouring in from the window and down into the cowl and into my car and it went down under the passenger seat. So I took the cowl off and also sealed up some seams in there as well as a precaution and then took off the whole bottom trim and cleaned off all the old adhesive and re sealed it. *shrugs* I am no car mechanic, just a alero owner who tried to save a few bucks.

I hope the links help...
    thanks a lot, that may prove to be helpful. There are a lot of potential sources of this problem so I am really going to have to look carefully. I wish I could see the illustrations, that would help me know what I am looking for. I am going to put a hose on it today to try and trace the problem.
    You can always go to the library and look at the Haynes #38026 repair manual for the Alero or buy it used online. I found it to be very helpful. It has really good illustration of the water shield, among many other things.
    thanks for those links, I think I found the problem. The drain for the sunroof channel was blocked and my sunroof had been in the vent position during the last few rain storms.I tested it out with a hose after cleaning out the gunk in the drain hole and I didnt see any water in the floor.
  • mls2mls2 Member Posts: 1
    I used my emergency brake now my tracoff light is lit up, my speedometer doesn't work, and my car shifts very hard. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? :confuse: Also,I just made some temporary repairs to the steering rack fitting just below air conditioner drain. Is it possible to get this fitting without replacing the steering rack?
  • harrieharrie Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Can somebody explaine me how to adjust the parking brake handle, its going up very high, I adjust it in the rear wheels but the handle still comes to high.
    My parking brake sensor dont work anymore when i drive in the rear shift, has somebody this problem or is this option only on european cars.
  • tsj83tsj83 Member Posts: 1
    can any body tell me if the factory cd player in a 2001 alero plays mp3s?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Not to my knowledge.
  • bejbebejbe Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM, SO IN MY ALERO 99' INTERIOR LAMPS STILL WORKING (MIRROR LAMPS AND OTHER). WHEN I FUSE GET OUT THEY SWITCHED OFF. WHAT IS GOING ON?? WHEN DOOR IS CLOSED, IS THE SAME. WHEN IGNITION ON LIGHTS STILL ON. WHY??? :cry:
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Check and see if the dimmer control is all the way to one end, at one end it turns the dash lights on full and turns the interior lights on.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Haven't posted anything about our ownership experience in awhile, and as I'm looking at another CDN$500 repair bill after just paying off a CDN$820 bill it's probably time for an update. 2000 Olds Alero, 4dr, 3.4L V6, about 159,000km (99,000 miles).

The $820 bill was to rectify a coolant leak the lady of the house noticed -- had to top up coolant, which was unusual, and noticed a leak on the garage floor. She also took the car in for service, but from what I gather the pressure test showed failures and the service included a rad hose, valve cover gaskets, manifold gasket, a cooling system flush. While they were at it they replaced the thermostat. The plug terminals had a rough brownish deposit, so it does look like coolant was leaking into the combustion chamber.

Going by the part numbers (10477565, 24504709) they also replaced the oil pump seal and throttle body inlet seal at the same time ? It's been too busy and lacking in daylight to poke around the engine compartment to verify that, but those seals were only $6 out of $820.

Our recent $500 bill is, I suspect (dropping off the car on Jan.2nd) , yet another front hub assembly to replace. During our Christmas travels the "Trac Off" "Service Vehicle Soon" and "ABS" lights all came on at the same time. Turning off the engine and starting up again seems to "reset" the error code (i.e. no lights) and the traction control and ABS work. But after a few hundred meters/yards or, more often, 30-60kms (20-40 miles) the lights come on again.

So when I've only bought 4 wheel bearings and hub assemblies over 5 cars, and 3 out of those 4 is all on the Alero, I think that is too many ! These hub assemblies presumably saved a few pennies or dollars per vehicle but for me it is an ongoing cost of hundreds of dollars into the same vehicle.

Does GM corp. honestly expect owners to be such fools as to even consider a GM for their next purchase ? To ignore everything their ownership and financial experience has taught them and believe the advertising instead ? Market share was GM's to lose, and they've done everything in their power to do so.
  • geografergeografer Member Posts: 1
    My sister borrowed my '01 Alero and used her car charger (which she says doesn't work in her car) and now neither of my aux chargers work. I looked in the fuse box in the car but don't see where this fuse might be (I am assuming this is all it is) but I don't speak car. Anyone know if this could just be this easy and where this might be or am I going to have to pay someone for this? I can't charge my cell phone (my only charger I can locate for my phone) or play my IPod (an even bigger issue).
    In my opinion, one hub is too many. We have two Aleros in our family. My daughters was bought new in 2001 and has low mileage on it (42,000 miles). It has had the front right hub replaced, a few brake jobs, and the bubbling door panels.
    Her boyfriends has had the lower manifold gasket replaced at the cost of almost $700 from the local Pontiac dealer. Talking to anyone in Oldsmobile is a waste of time. I understand there has been a settlement on the gasket issue that will be announced in February. Hope they will come up with a partial refund, because I don't want any discounts on future purchases. I have four GM products sitting in my driveway, and will not be buying another. The 2003 Grand Prix with less than 20,000 miles has the common problem of not being able to remove the key from the ignition after shut off. Traced it back to a broken wire on the shifter solenoid, and that was easy enough to fix, but when GM is making crap, they shouldn't be surprised when Toyota and Honda out sell them.
    I don't have the owners manual in front of me, but there has to be a fuse for that outlet. There is a fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash, and also one under the hood. The stuff under the hood is more for engine electronics, so it's more likely on the drivers side dash.
  • terryz7terryz7 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Olds Alero that's had the front wheel bearing hub assembles replaced twice. Unfortunately all the dashboard lights (ABS, Trac Off, Service Engine Soon) continue to come on/go off intermittently. Can anyone tell me if the ABS wheel speed sensors in the wheel hubs can be purchased separately from the bearing assembly or do they always come together. I'm trying to determine if my mechanic replaced the sensors when he replaced the hubs.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
    Terry
    Livonia, MI
  • alerogalalerogal Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2001 Olds Alero. The ABS, Trac Off, Service Engine Soon lights came on so I took it to a dealer that said my left front wheel hub needed to be replaced. Before I'm taken to the cleaners, I wanted to see if anyone knew if this was a proven fix to this problem. Prior to that, a shop I use regularly told me I should get my front left wheel bearing fixed over the next few months. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
    alerogal: I could hear the hubs vibrating for many miles before they were replaced each time but the dash warning lights and presumably the loss of ABS and tracking functions have been and continue to be a persistent problem. The car is going back into the shop again, probably Friday. I'll let you know the results or you can write me at phaon5-temp1@yahoo.com
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    I would listen to your regular shop w a y b e f o r e a dealer...Good Luck
    Problem fixed? The ABS wheel speed sensors are integrated into the hubs...and apparently these cars like to eat hubs. After having the hubs replaced last week for the second time (supposed the first set of hubs were defective....which I doubt because the were installed a month apart..September & October '07 ) the car went back to the shop yesterday because the dash lights were coming on intermittently. The shop owner said the mechanic had failed to reset the computer so supposedly all is now well. We'll see in the next few days if the repair holds.
    Reseting a computer will keep the dash lights from failing? I don't get it. That sounds more like an electrical problem than a computer problem. I really don't understand GM. They had a good looking car that was fun to drive at a reasonable price. I see many younger people, college and high school kids, driving Aleros.
    If they had produced a dependable car, these up and coming car buyers would have a favorable opinion of GM and may make a purchase in the future when they land the first job. With the Alero track record, I bet a lot of them look to Honda or Toyota. GM cut corners and used cheap parts, and it will come back to haunt them.

BTW, did you get any type of warranty with the replaced hubs?
    While I certainly agree with you regarding the poor performance of the US auto manufacturers, I can't complain too much being that my wife got over 150K mostly highway miles on her Alero before the original hubs wore out. Her mechanic friend replaced the left hub in September '07 and then the right hub the following month. Then all the lights came back on. The mechanic said "the hubs were bad" and replaced both under warranty but we had to pay for the labor a second time. Then all the lights came back on again, but only intermittently. That's when the mechanic said he reset the computer. Makes no sense to me either but the ligts have stayed off so far. Now we're shopping for a new car and gues what she looking at....a Honda, Toyota and even a Hyundai....
  • hindy80hindy80 Member Posts: 3
    I have this problem in my 01 Alero as well- haven't fixed it yet (tools still boxed up from moving), but pretty sure it is just a short in the wiring. The fuse box for the aux chargers is under the hood of the car. I have replaced it three times to make sure the fuse itself wasn't bad. As soon as I connect the charger, the fuse blows. You would be better off, as far as cost, to fix it yourself if you can.
  • katrinahkatrinah Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Olds Alero, 4dr., V6, 3.4L with about 104,000 miles. My mechanic has replaced the hub/wheel bearing only to have the lights you mentioned come on. He couldn't understand why? I then paid to have an Olds dealer take a look at it only to tell me it's the hub/wheel bearing that needs to be replaced.....again in a 1 month time span. ahhhhh

Also, Temp gauge wasn't working. I noticed coolant was low but no leaking on ground. It was mixing with my oil. I had my mechanic replace the intake manifold gaskets, coolant sensor, thermostat & he did a flush. Temp gauge seemed to be fixed....for about 2 weeks. It's not working again. I advised my mechanic and like above.......he has no clue as to whats going on, so he contacted an olds dealer & spoke to a technician who said the temp gauage may not be working due to a pinched wire grounding out or possibly the PCM needs to be "flashed" or reprogrammed. So I take it into the olds dealer to look at it & they say I need intake manifold gaskets......again.

Have you heard anything else re: the settlement for the gasket issue you posted in your 12/29/07 blog?? I've tried researching this and have found that GM's been slapped w/ a gasket class action lawsuit in Canada for vehicles built b/w 1995-2003. This started back in 04/06??? They stated a similar lawsuit in the U.S. was granted class-action status in 1/07 but I can't find any info on it????

I just paid off my vehicle and don't want another car payment but I'm thinking about shopping. :confuse:
  • pixie03pixie03 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Alero and love it all for one thing: Can someone please tell me how to get my "low tire pressure" and "change oil" lights to go off?? I have had all of this taken care of, but am unable to find an owners manual to tell me how to make to problem go away - I am finding this highly irritating since I drive a lot for work. Any info would be great! Thanks! :shades:
    Open your drivers side door. There is a fuse panel on the side of the dash. Take the cover off. MAKING SURE YOUR CAR IS JUST IN THE "ON" POSITION, tap the red reset button once then look at the instrument cluster behind the wheel. Keep tapping the red button until the light you want to go away is blinking. Once it's blinking, hold the red button for 10 seconds. The light should then go out. Do the same for each light. Hope this helps! :-D
  • pixie03pixie03 Member Posts: 2
    IT DID! Thank you SO much!
    :blush:
    No problem! ;)
  • jaybayzjaybayz Member Posts: 1
    okay, so I am having many problems with my Alero.

The first problem i have..i saw on a lot of other post in which the Trac Off Anti-Lock and Service Vehicle soon lights are on..I read and alot of them said it needs a hub. Is this the problem or is that what some people are experiencing?

The second problem is that the heat doesnt work..Like it blows only on level three and four and when it blows it is only like a little heat.....IS anybody experiencing this problem?

Next problem is I think my car has an electrical problem in the back. For some odd reason the tail lights come on as soon as you start the car up. I mean i do not have to turn lights on at all. I thought it was an Alero thing but when im behind another one their lights are off during the day. The speakers in the back doesnt work and i dont believe that they are blown out either. None of the buttons at the bottom work either. I mean the A/C button nor the back defrogger button or the other two work. I have to wipe the back window manually just to see out of it. IS this some kind of electrical problem?

Another issue is when Im driving the car on the highway and i get up to like 60 or 65 the car shakes and when im braking on the highway when it hits 65 or 60 it starts to shake again.

Last issue was my power steering and antifreeze keeps leaking. Im am feeling the two up once a week. I have tried every brand that says stops leaks but none seem to stop it.

Also..my gas mileage sucks like i have to feel up at least twice a week. I am getting a tune up but I AM CONVINCED MY CAR IS A LEMON :lemon:
  • blueonblackblueonblack Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Olds Alero. When I try an use my turn signal, they don't work but, my four way flashers come on and all my dash lights blink.

Any suggestions?