Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    is asking alot . i think that is way outta the norm . but think of this . there are alot of rental car companys that have elantras now . would they buy them to use in there fleet if there "merit" wasn't there ?
  • gator_28gator_28 Member Posts: 14
    hello everybody,
    I have a 2000 model elantra that I have enjoyed very much. Its been a great car with only 19100 miles on it. I have 1 problem that I wonder if anybody else has had (either 00,01,02 models). No matter how many times I seem to get my tires rotated and balanced, I get this annoying shake in the steering wheel when I approach 70 mph. Has anybody experienced this yet? I customized my elantra with alloy rims and done other things to make it turn heads when I'm driving and I love this car. Please, if anybody can leave me some input on this problem, I'd really appreciate it!
    gator_28
  • brentcadlebrentcadle Member Posts: 14
    I have 47,000 on my 2001 Elantra. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I drive it to work (130 miles roundtrip) every day and for the price and the options it is great! I have not had any breakdowns, although I did take it in and have them reprogram the computer that controls shifting due to some feedback I had seen on this board. It took about 20 minutes and was covered under warranty. It gave me a chance to re-teach the computer how I wanted the shift patterns to work. I put in a K&N Air Filter and I average 29 MPG, driving mostly highway but some bumper to bumper everyday(I have an Automatic) I would highly recommend the Elantra and will probably purchase a Tiburon in the next year or so.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Several of you have mentioned K&N air filters for use in 2001 Elantras. The K&N website doesn't seem to have info on a proper filter for 2001 models, and they have not responded to my e-mail. Where have you been finding the correct filter? NAPA? Local independent stores? Directly from K&N?

The Consumer Reports auto issue just arrived, and though the news isn't great for Elantras, overall the brand has improved to the same level as domestic brands. Elantra is a tad below average of all cars, but transmission issues are given more weight, so I am guessing trans reprogramming mentioned here often may have skewed results a bit. I have a stick, so I am confident it will hold up well over the years. Geez, if the domestics improved at the rate Hyundai seems to be, the import brands would not be such a thorn in their side.
  • pierogipierogi Member Posts: 1
    I also have a steering wheel shake on my 2000 Elantra at 65-70 MPH only. I took it to the dealer and they turned the brake rotors...still had shake. They replaced the two front tires and did a 4 wheel alignment. The shake is barely detectable now but it's still there at times. I guess I'll just live with it.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I bought them from local Mobil store (one that does the oil change service).
    K&N cost me about $50.00. I think you can get it directly from K&N. I heard they have 2001, but maybe not. you can buy 2000 Tiburon's filter and squeeze in to 2001 Elantra. K&N filter for 2000 Tiburon is about .5 inch bigger than Filter for 2001 elantra.
  • ejbrunerejbruner Member Posts: 1
    i've had my Elantra for 1 year and had it's first inspection on 3-1-02 with 9800 miles. then i rec'd a notice from dealership on 3-14-02 that was dated 3-1-02 to pick up a part ordered for my car. i called them and they said that the rear wheel cylinder was "wet" and could possibly leak so they ordered the part but neglected to tell me this and didn't write it in on the receipt i received for the inspection. just wanted to know if anyone else had a problem like this.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Last summer there were lots of wheel shake postings on this board. I purchased a GLS with corrected hail damage rather than another car because the wheel shake was minimal. At 8000 miles, I bought the $7.95 lifetime balance/rotation from Wal-Mart. Any vibration totally disappeared. I'm sure most tire techs at Wal-Mart are boobs, I just happened to get a knowledgeable one. I just wanted to say that in my case the condition was correctable. Although the original condition with my car was a very slight tingle at 70 miles per hour, having a perfectly balanced tire is a big improvement.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    Take your car to a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700.

http://www.gsp9700.com.
  • jveliejvelie Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how much it is for the extended warity package.I think it is for 5 more years bumper to bumper,plus road side warranty,thanks.I am looking to keep the car for a good 10 years so maybe it would be werth it to me,I just don't know what it cost!
  • yeppyepp Member Posts: 5
    HOST,
    WHEN IS THE MARCH TESTDRIVE FOR THE ELANTRA LONGTERM TEST GOING TO BE UP?
  • ghenrylghenryl Member Posts: 2
    We have a black 2000 elantra that has started to peel. Went to the dealer we purchased it from.(The proper vernacular per the dealer is "spotting on all top surfaces") The car has 33000 mi. on it.(paint warranty is 3yr./36000) Dealer says he cant warrant it and Hyundai rep most likely will not. dealer says Hyundai will most likely claim it is caused by acid rain etc. and will not repair. Am waiting to meet with rep (4-6 week wait). Has anyone else had a problem beside pam 49? If pam is still available I would like to hear more of your experience. Thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    When I checked on the Hyundai extended warranty on my '01 GLS, it was around $1000. Some dealers charged close to $1200, so it pays to shop around and negotiate. Even though it extends the bumper to bumper to 10 years and is fully transferrable, I decided to pass, since the powertrain usually has the big-ticket repairs and that's covered for 10 years anyway.

Re March test drives--it's only March 16! The monthly reports are published on the first day or two of the following month, sometimes a little later.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Backy is correct. But I would not know the answer to your question anyway.

For questions about the main Edmunds.com site, you need to go to the Feedback section there. You can get there using the Help link at the top (and bottom) of this page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    my 2001 black elantra had clear coat problem, its clear coat was peeling off. I took it to the dealer, and they fixed right away and gave me rent car while they repaint my car. It was under the warranty (even rent car). However, I think, if I remember correctly, the paint warranty for Hyundai is only 1 year.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Does anyone know how to remove the dashboard???...I have a rattle coming from the left side & i'd like to see if I can't fix it, rather than having the dealer take it apart & break something else...
    Thanks
  • gmcbride73gmcbride73 Member Posts: 6
    Try this site. Hyundai Webtech site.

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp

• tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Is there maybe something in the little secret coin drawer on the left side that is rattling around?
  • vojdvojd Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody still have Elantra'93-95?
    Mine is Elantra '93 and it has around 90k miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with 72k on it. Still running but has problems (recently replaced engine)which I encountered recently.
    And I need a front bumper cover that was cracked finally last winter and driver side molding (I live in upstate New York). Dealers replacement prices are very high (considering the cost of this car :)).
    Did you finally find the way to remove dashboard?
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Hyundai is reimbusing me nearly $500.00 for having to replace an oil pan assembly at 18,000 miles on my GT. The treads were stripped by an oversized plug that a Hyundai dealer used to try to fix my oil leak. The dealer that did the repair was in a different state, and said that they couldn't cover the new pan under warranty because it was not a factory defect. I had to appeal to Hyundai corporate and they just came through.
    reimbursing.....
  • storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    I have removed the front of the dash and all of the lower trim to replace my stereo. I had access to everything. I don't think that you would get any more access by removing the dash proper. If you like, go to near the end of the hatchback board and look for wmoses' website. Pictures and simple instructions are in the "garage" section.
    Happy motoring!
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    do you mean "threads"? (Sorry. I can't help being a smart-xxx sometimes!) Good job sticking with it!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I posted this question in the Accent forum but it's rarely travelled anymore, so since the radio's are all pretty much the same, I thought I would post here. Do those who have the original Hyundai cassette player or CD player see 1 or 2 lights illuminating the digital readout? I thought there was 1 light at each corner of the display, but now I only see one on the right hand side and the left side seems dark during the day and dim at night. If anyone could investigate this for me, I would be very thankful. Also, if it turns out the light is burn out, do you guys suggest I leave it alone or have the dealer fix it and risk starting rattles? Thanks.
  • elanxdelanxd Member Posts: 1
    Just to share my experience.
    My 01 Elantra has a metal-box (ECM or TCM or whatever it is) fixed on a steel bracket, perpendicular from the "top" of the dash. It vibrates and rattles as and when it likes. I am sensitive to noise and took me a while to identify it.
    The car dealer bend the bracket 45 degrees and the noise disappear. Please note that there are cables going in and out of this metal box.
    As my driver seat is on the right hand side and the metal box is on the same side. Is the metal box on your car on the driver side too(meaning left hand side)?
    Removing the dash is a troublesome work!
    Threads it is...the treads look like new after the first 20,000!
  • quattro89quattro89 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the extended warranty,10 year Advantage Plus, paid close to $1500.
    When the policy came in the mail from Hyundai, it showed a purchase price of $659 !!!
    Cancelled and am currently banging heads with the dealer for refund...will wind up in small claims court.
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    Quattro89, when I bought my Elantra in January, it was pretty late in the evening and the finance guy was obviously ready to head home. When I indicated my opinion that extended warranties are over-priced, he when ahead and offered to sell me the 10 year Advantage Plus for $750. I still didn't bite, deciding to put my faith in the reliability of the car. I hope I'm right.

Good luck in small claims court. $1500 is practically highway robbery!
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for all the feedback....I'm real sensitive to rattles also...As i'm going over bumpy roads about 10mph, I hear something rattling inside the left part of the dash....I've decided that when I have my oil changed I'll tell the dealer & give him a small list of things)....The car has 700 miles on it.....I need a new driver side wiper blade(it streaks), I have the six speaker sound system(small speaker in door is shot), & the dash rattle.....Hopefully my list won't grow to much more.....
    Hey! I thought Edmunds was going to keep the car for more than one year! Did I misread? And by the way, guys, the car is worth much more than $6K.
    Oops, I guess I did misread. Twelve months went fast because I didn't start reading about the car till I bought mine in July. Silly me!!
    Let's see, Edmunds.com is doing a comparo on 5-door cars next month, including the Elantra GT. So maybe they'll keep the GT around as their replacement long-term car!

Well, probably not. But how about the Tiburon??
    three oil changes. Other than a slow leak in a rear Michelin there's been absolutely no problems.
  • drkcgraydrkcgray Member Posts: 10
    I would like to hear from Hyundai Accent owners...any suggestions on where to find Accent message boards?
    last post March 21. Hit more on the bottom of this page. There's also an Accent forum under hatchbacks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The hatchback forum has alot more action than the sedans one does.

To its credit, I drove a rental Accent a couple months ago. It's a pretty nice car for the price class, and pretty roomy for the driver too (I am 6'3, and it was adequate for one day for me, on a 50 mile commute). The only thing is (like all Korean cars), they lose value quickly. Look for one that's a year old and save alot of money and depreciation.
    interestingly enough Enterprise Rent-a-car moves 2001 Accents at a high price IMHO. I think it's $9500 non-negotiable for a rental car with about 10,000 miles. They seem to move 'em out fast. At least in the St. Louis area.
    csandste: the flip side to the disappearing Accents is that a broker could have scooped them up at a reduced amount, or they went to auction. Having said that, I do share your optimism about Hyundai values dropping not-so-precipitously. My Elantra is still worth about the same or a little more than what I owe, after only 8 months.

By the way, anyone scanning these threads and considering Hyundai v. Kia v. Daewoo, look at them in that order. You'll go back to Hyundai (better yet, step up from Accent to Elantra whenever possible).

Happy Easter to my non-Jewish, non-Buddhist, non-Hindu, etc., friends out there!
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Has anyone actually owned both? How do they compare. Did everyone select the Elantra just because of it's price?
    I bought my Elantra in July after about two months of looking at used and new cars of the same general size. My research included subjective sources like Car and Driver, and the more objective Consumer Reports. The reviews on the Elantra (apart from then-unknown reliability) were very good, even in CR. The last-generation Corolla did not rate as well as the 2001 Elantra in areas of ride, quietness, room and power.

Price was a concern for me, but I still found that the content (outside of lots of features) was impressive: DOHC engine w/direct ignition, subframe mounted w/ribbed engine block and additional crankshaft counterweights; speed-sensitive steering; multi-link rear suspension and gas struts all around; side airbags. These are items not usually found in this price range. The icing on the cake was to find air, power locks/windows (driver express-down)/mirrors (heated), Michelin tires, decent cupholders and good materials in the right places. The doors close easily and solidly, the engine moves me about quickly, and the AC/heat work VERY well.

My strong reservations about the Hyundai name kept me from even considering the Elantra until about midway during my research; quite skeptical, especially after reading about cars since age 10 (I'm 38). The warranty is attractive, yes, the price is attractive, yes, but driving the car is what brought me back to drive it again.

No, I don't work for the company. Over the years I've watched domestic quality go up and down (generally up) and even Japanese and European automakers do the same. I am impressed with the rate of improvement at Hyundai, and otherwise would not have forked over money, of which I have very little, to buy this car. Hope I've helped!
    I've owned two Corollas but not for a long time. But I have driven the '98-'02 generation Corolla many times as a rental. When I bought my car in October 2000, I struck the Corolla off my list right away (along with several other cars) because of a tight rear seat. I have three kids, the oldest is 13, and I needed some room back there. But I liked the Elantra more than the Corolla in several other important criterion, including driving position and seat comfort, power/acceleration, styling (I really hated the '98-'02 Corolla's styling), and warranty. The Corolla had a smoother powertrain and better predicted reliability and resale value. So I would have favored the Elantra even if it cost the same as the Corolla; the fact that the Elantra cost thousands less was icing.

I posted my test-drive report on the '03 Corolla LE 5-speed yesterday in the Corolla forum. I liked what I saw at the recent local auto show and read lots of good things about the car, and wanted to check it out and see if it was good enough to force me to prematurely trade in my Elantra. The bottom line is that it is an excellent small car, better in some respects than the Elantra, and if you don't mind spending the extra money I think it is the way to go. BUT (big but) take a long test drive before you decide. I found that the Corolla's driving position is uncomfortable to me (details in my post in the Corolla forum), while the Elantra's is just about perfect. And personally I don't think the strengths of the Corolla outweigh the price premium (in my town, about $4000 more for the LE 5-speed vs. the Elantra GLS, comparably equipped with cruise, remote locking, and side air bags). But I'd recommend driving both; the Corolla is a fine car but so is the Elantra, especially considering the price difference.
    I also started a threat "Corolla class shootout" which attempted to rank all cars in that size from top to back. It's still there, although I don't think anyone's posted in some time.

In my particular listing I put the Elantra second to the '03 Corolla which looked like it had extremely good (Lexus like) build quality. I like the 93-97 Prizm the best of earlier Corollas. The 98-02 was decontented and dumpy IMHO.

Only thing I dislike about Elantra is that it's handling is a bit floatier than some of the competition. Space, comfort and engine are first rate. If purchasing I'd be hard pressed to say that the difference in price between the two is justified.
    Can't knock the car, but I agree with Backy. The first time I sat in an Elantra I was shocked at the comfort and the leg room. Kept coming back to it and just fell in love with the GT. Corolla is great but the leg room just isn't there for the driver IMHO. I also find the Corolla seats to be too mushy. Would I buy a Corolla if everything was equal but the Corolla cost more? You bet. But it isn't and it still costs more. As to resale, the difference in value 3-5 years isn't that great that it will make or break most.
    For about the same list price as a Corolla S or LE with a couple of options, you can get a fully-loaded Elantra GT with leather, sport suspension, alloys, 4-wheel discs with ABS and traction control, and moonroof. If you can handle a hatchback style, and the GLS is too "floaty" for you, be sure to check out the GT.
    No new posts for a few days, so I am guessing we are all out there zooming around having fun in our little cars (I know I am!).
    The Elantra post was about to drop off the first page of the forum. So I thought I'd put one up. I've put quite a few positives about my experience. Maybe a few negatives would get some reaction.

1. Handling is a bit oingo-boingo. I haven't driven the GT, but I expect I'd like the handling better.

2. A remote that honks the horn and raises the trunk lid would be nice.

3. Looks a bit like the Malibu from the side and the Impala from the front. Oh, well, the last generation E. had a Pontiac look to it.

4. The Michelin tires are adequate and main stream, but really overpriced if I tore one up and had to replace it. I'll switch tires when the time comes. Of course Michelin Energies are common high end OEM tires. I suspect the makers get a real good buy on them so that Michelin can get rich on over priced replacement tires.

5. I've gotten to like the gray interior in my car, but the brown interior has a dog puke look to it.

6. The trunk lid is a bit flimy, although the rear styling is the best part of the car.

7. Insurance costs are high. I suspect this is because of the experience with the earlier generation platform.

8. I still with Hyundai had done a recall when the air bags didn't deploy during the crash test, I also read about the late deploying XG300's on those threads. Makes me nervous.

9. I don't play a lot of music, but most cars should be putting CD players rather than cassettes in as standard.

10. No cheap after market air filters available that I've found at least.

You can see this really gets down to straining at gnats. All in all, this is by far the best car I've ever owned.
    Good list. I did one like this a few months ago, I don't recall if it was here or on the Low-End Sedans board. Anyway, I agree with you 100% on 2, 5, and 8 (I have the Dog Puke interior). I have a lot of cassettes so I don't mind the casette player standard, but I wish they'd make a casette/CD combo available for a reasonable price. The handling is not the sharpest around but it doesn't bother me, especially since the ride is very smooth. I think the side looks like an Impala too (the sheetmetal, not the roofline). On the other hand, I think the side view looks a lot like the G35 too, so that ain't too bad. The Michelins have been good to me so far, but when it comes to replace them I'll probably go with something else, maybe Pirellis. The back end looks great and the lid isn't any more flimsy than any other econobox I've owned. My insurance costs are pretty reasonable, about $800/year, a little lower than the '97 Sentra I had before the Elantra. Since an air filter will last me about 2 years (don't drive that much), lack of aftermarket filters doesn't bug me.

A couple other nits I'd toss in are: make ABS and a moonroof available together on the GLS, add bigger coat hooks, and let me control the A/C instead of turning it on automatically in defrost or mix mode (I don't know if it's good for the A/C to have it come on when it's -20 F). And maybe add a center arm rest to the back seat.
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    You don't have a centre armrest in the back??

Both GLS sedan and hatch here have armrests in the middle of the back seat, the Sedan even has a storage compartment in it's one. The Hatch just has a straight armrest.

As in defrost mode you usually also want to dehumidify it is reasonable to turn the a/c on.

Our standard here is a radio/cd. I would have likes a radio/cd/cassette player myself, so I've had to copy my cassettes to CD in order to use them in the car.

The GLS only has one interior here, grey plastics on dash and door trims and black cloth with white/silver through it on seats etc.

The tyres we get here are Kumho's in the main they don't seem too bad on the car. I would like to drive a car with other tyres on it for a comparison though. For some unknown reason we cannot get Hyundai genuine cruise control here for love nor money, fotunately a locally made unit works very well in the car.

I have to say though the car impresses me and in value for money is second to none

I've seen my car alongside a SAAB 93 and it doesn't look dissimilar in it's outline
    I liked csandste's list as well, because it is as short as mine would be. IMO, honking alarms are ridiculous (I am the only one who needs to know my car is secure), and in previous cars with Michelins standard, I have replaced with same or similar Michelins at competitive prices. The grey interior has a more expensive look, but I opted for beige because I wanted a brighter space; previous car had charcoal interior and for me it was a bit claustrophobic. A lighter grey would be ideal, then I could buy a black or pewter Elantra.

If we EVER get spring here in Michigan I can't wait to wax again!