Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    The reader Autozone used on my car spelled out what the problem was, but here is the result of a search for your code online.

Quote "P1409 EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit Malfunction (Ford, Mazda)"

From this site:

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_14.htm

That seems to be confirmed by this one:

Quote "P1409 EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit"

http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    The squeal sound is most likely a loose belt.

As far as the code goes fwatson may be right but I will have to get back to you later on what the manual says because I do not have it in front of me at the moment.
    The '02 service manaul does not list a 1409 code so Mazda must have changed numbers or the service manual does not list all the code numbers. Sorry.
  • freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    The tip regarding the belt adjustment is most likely the cause. I had a squeal coming from a bad belt adjustment pulley. The part was $68 from the dealer. There are two of the pulleys - one for each accessory belt. It could also be a noisy timing belt pulley.
  • mikebrown13mikebrown13 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a pre-owned 2000 Millenia Premium. I found one with just under 24K miles. Looks clean inside and out. Has 4 Seasons Package, traction control, leather interior, etc.. Asking price is $12,995, which seems like a very fair price for this car. Vehicle was a trade-in at a local Toyota dealer 3-4 months ago, and the price has slowly dropped fom $15,990 to the current $12,995. I've always been a fan of Mazda, having owned '85 and '98 626's. I'm looking for info...both good and bad...on the 2000 MM. Anybody have an opinion they'd like to share on this car?
    I owned a '95 "L" model. It was a good, dependable car for 105,000 miles. I will not own another because it was really high on insurance, parts are expensive, and it went through CV boots every 30,000 miles. It was also under-powered. Maintenance items, like the timing belt are really expensive, labor-wise - $450 as compared to $220 for my V6 Toyota.

The car that you are looking at will have a lot of luxuries that you will not find in other $12,000 cars. I would also get a quote on insurance too.
    Obviously there are different situations. But insurance on my 2001 P is less than the same insurance was on my 1995 Oldsmobile when I carried full coverage on it. I checked that out before buying. I also checked on Camry and Maxima. There was no insurance advantage for me for a Camry as compared to my MM.
  • heybradyheybrady Member Posts: 75
    Turns out the problem was very simple. The solution to the noise was to tighten the serpentine belt and the idle was rough due to a dirty throttle body. Total cost was $25 bucks. Runs as good as the day I bought it. Thanks for all your help on the codes.
    Mike, I have a 99 P, which is the same exact car as the 2000. I bought mine last January with 34K for $13g. Since then I have it up to 61K miles and the only real repair was a bad front wheel bearing, which was $130 bucks. Other than that I changed the tires, replaced the serpentine belt, and had it aligned a couple of times. The car is definitely no speed-racer off the line, but the only good that does is get you tickets. The car rides exceptionally smooth and is very stable at high speeds (80+). Ask anyone on here how much fun it is when you get up around 90-100. Feels just like you are only going 50 mph. The timing belt does not have to be replaced until 105K, despite what you may hear. I am a 23 year old single male and I pay about $1100 a year in insurance, which is no more than most other cars (Alero, Grand Am, etc). The 95 Millenia Freebird is talking about had a bunch of problems, but were all resolved by 96 or 97. Search thru past posts on this board and you will see many others who love their Millenia. Hope this helps. Let us know what you end up doing.
    The '98 626 you owned had the same engine that the 2000 P has, provided you had the 6 cylinder in it. So if you liked that engine you should be happy with it in the MM. The only difference between the two cars is that your 626 had more room in it. The MM will by far give you a better ride with more luxary. As a side note I still have my '85 626 and plan on keeping it because at 30 mpg in town it is tough to give up at these gas prices. Plus just like fwatson has said in the past you do not want to take your MM to the shopping mall to let some yahoo with an suv beat the heck out of it with their door.
  • cotton88cotton88 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new MM 2002 Premium back in September, 2002, and it has 3600 miles on it. I am noticing that the glove box rattles, and it looks like it is out of line with the finish line around the outside border of the lower dashboard area. Additionally, with the driver side window down- whenever I rest my arm on the plastic trim on the inside of the driver side door near the window- I hear a hollow sound/loose trim sound from the vinyl on the inside of the door. The passenger side does not do this. Has anyone else had these problems with a relatively new MM? Is it portending problems to come?

Thanks!
    I have not had any problems with my Mill. It tends to be a very tight and well put together car. Since your car is still under warrenty take it back and let the dealer look at it.
    I did have one rattle coming from the glove box. So I removed the pencil style tire pressure gauge, and presto the rattle is gone. Turned the tire gauge end for end and still no rattle, problem solved. The glove box door lines up perfectly on mine as does everything else in the cabin.

Sounds like someone had the glove box door off at some time, perhaps to access Air Conditioning components. I would have the dealer correct the door misallignment if he will do it without charge. Otherwise it should be an easy do-it-yourself repair.

It also sounds like someone has worked on the driver side door and not gotten it back together properly. I'm not sure I would tackle that though, not knowing exactly how the inner liner is removed. I don't drive with the window down, so can't tell you anything about that.

But other than the tire pressure gauge I have had no rattles at all.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    i think Mazda should come out with a Mazda 9.
  • thickcommishthickcommish Member Posts: 15
    Back in January my engine light came on. I took it to get the code checked and my oil change mechanic said it was the catellic converter. Under Mazda's emissions warranty (less than 80k and my car has 60k) it had to be checked by a Mazda dealership. I did that, had to pay 60 bucks just for the check and they told me is was the back o2 sensor (most expensive too 300 bucks). Also, they told me it had to be changed in the next 30 days or it would void the emissions warranty. I did it in February. Now the engine light is back on, we took it back to the dealership where they said another o2 sensor had gone bad, another 300 bones. This car has 5 o2 sensors. Anyone have any input or advise?? Please help!! Thanks!
    ***I posted this message on clarkhoward.com cars message boards and someone told me to ask my question here, because you guys know your stuff. After reading many posts, about 4 pages woth, I discovered there's alot of you out there with the same probs im having. THANK YOU for your input!
  • dmoyerdmoyer Member Posts: 27
    at 93K my 1995 2.5 V6 MM (knock on wood) o2 sensors have yet to be a problem. So when do I know I have a problem with one of these 4 very expensive gadgets??
    Also can one fail emission tests, in my case PA, because of bad o2 sensors?
    My MMS is a 99 model, which I bought because of the great track record of the older Millenias and 929's. Im not sure which models this affects, or if I just have an isolated case, but I imagine that the 95's are fine. I think that the o2 sensor can cause problems with the muffler and cattelic converter come emmissions time for inspection, but then again im definately not a mechanic.
    Regarding failing emissions testing - if your check engine light is on due to a failed O2 sensor, then yes, you will fail the emissions test.

You will get a "check engine" code when you have a O2 sensor fail. The corresponding code will direct you to what sensor needs to be changed. I am not sure if the '95 model is ODB-II compliant. I would guess that is would be.
    The ConsumerReports Annual Auto Issue came today.

Millenia is listed in "Reliable Used Cars - CR Good Bets" which says in part, "have had MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE RELIABILITY for multiple years".

And all years from 1996 through 2002 are listed as good used cars to buy with the '96 in the $6-8 thousand range up through the '02 in the $16-18 thousand group. Incidentally, they are in the same price ranges with same year Maximas and Camrys etc. So much for the supposed crummy resale values. They depreciated no worse than other cars of similar price when new.
  • un_yzun_yz Member Posts: 12
    I also noticed some rattle from the dash board of my 2002 SS model. It started within a week after I got the brand new car from the dealer. It seemed to be coming out of the glove box, but I was not sure. I took it to the dealer for a couple of times, they tightened the compartment and some other stuff inside but it kept coming back. Apparently since it is caused by some internal material linings (platic, rubber, metal touching each other in whatever combination), the effect was more pronounced depending on the time of the year. I figured out a more practical solution, when it happens just give a light kick to the glove box or tap it hard with your hand (if your are in the drivers seat). It usually goes away. It initially bothered me a little, but given that it is such a nice car, I figured that living with this beauty is well worth the occasional taps.
  • cotton88cotton88 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks all for the responses. Un_yz- was the dealer ever able to get the noise to go away completely? I've tried the slight thump with my hand, opening/closing the glove box lid, etc. with no luck. If the dealer had some success, I can take it to the Mazda dealership.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I had a "check engine" light also go on and the dealer indicated that both O2 sensors and catalytic converter had gone bad at around 65k miles. Cost me $550 out of pocket for the O2 sensors; Mazda picked up the cost of the new cat. due to the Federal emissions warranty.
    & How many times did you have to visit the dealer and actually have them admit that the cat went bad???
    Has this ever happened to anyone, also does anyone know where the reset button is for the check engine light?? I pulled and replaced a fuse and it went off for a couple hundred miles...
    I have heard pretty good things about carmax. Has anyone delt with them?? Im thinking of getting rid of the old Millenia due to these porblems. Any advise???
  • un_yzun_yz Member Posts: 12
    Cotton88: Its not a bad idea to take it to the dealer and check it. They did fix the noise which was being generated by a loose screw in the sun-roof. They also tightened the screws of the glove box and tightened some screw of the power unit (I could be wrong). The noise did come back even after the dealer visits, but these days the noise is somehow gone. Once in a while when it happens I just give that thump on the glove box. May be it will come back in the summers, but I am hoping not.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    any dealer with well trained techs would replace a millenia cat as soon as it is determined the cat is bad. mazda pays us, (the dealer) and we make good money (laborwise) replacing the cats under warranty. If a dealer is making you come back again and again, the dealer is incompetent and I suggest you find another......
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I agree with rotarykid, the dealers would welcome such a lucrative work order as replacing a cat under Federal warranty, so you should try a more competent dealership. The symptoms leading up to the diagnosis are that the check engine light came on and then went off "magically" on its own. After a month later, it came on and stayed on. The dealer read the OBDII codes and diagnosed an O2 sensor failure. There were no noticable drivability problems whatsoever, but the OBDII computers are smart enough to self diagnose and identify which systems are not working. Resetting the engine light on your own will do you no good unless you remedy the problem, since the computer will trip it again, so take it in to a competent technician.

Thickcommish, I don't know which model Millenia you have, but the S does blow a little bit of blue smoke upon startup especially when it is cold outside because oil leaks by the compressor seals. I have not noticed more than 1 quart consumed between oil changes. I typically add a 1/2 quart of oil to top off the fluid between 3-5k mile oil changes (using full synthetic oil). If you check other posts, you will see this mentioned elsewhere and should not cause alarm unless your experiencing significant oil loss.
    rotarykid & erinsquared, thank you for your expert advise. I will try another dealership and start using synthetic oil. Hopefully this light issue will be resolved soon and will not be too terrably expensive.
  • phatpatphatpat Member Posts: 22
    I just wanted to know if they're any owners out there that have reached 200k with the S model. Is it realistic to expect that much mileage out of the car? I have a 95 with 98,000 and (knock on wood), haven't really experienced too many problems. Also, is the recommended major service due at 100k or 110k? Thanks in advance.
    Pat, My only 2 cents on this one is that at 120K you will probably have to change the timing belt again, as I think those are supposed to go every 60K. Other than that I dont think anything else major. To be honest, at that point I would just look at what to do for the 60K. There is also a maintenance schedule on AutoZone.com that might shed some light on this.
    The only other item that I can add to what heybrady mentioned is the spark plugs. Unless of course you are talking about some other major service.

There has been a lot of talk about O2 sensors and I think that up until recently most people have had problems with the knock sensor.

Fwatson, my CR finally arrived and I have to agree with you on the resale value. What did happen to that supposed big drop in depreciation. Though I think that most luxury cars have a big depreciation in the first few years. The item I was surprised the most about is how well almost all the Mazda's have improved in quality.
    The nice thing about it for a lot of us, is that we bought our MM's so cheaply that the depreciation has cost us very little. I gave about $21500 in Sept '01, and in two and 1/2 years the car's resale value is only about $4000 or less below that (mine is still in immaculate condition). Had I bought the Maxima I almost did at that time, I would have apparently lost another $3000.

We really did get great buys as the MM was phased out. And as I was driving mine yesterday, the thought of how pleasant the car still is, and how great it looks as you come out into a parking lot only made me that much more pleased with my Maxima dealer for refusing to get off his high horse and come down that extra few hundred he wouldn't. Thanks NOB (dealer) for steering me to the MM. ;-)
  • tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    Just curious about this. I passed a Millenia yesterday, and there was an oval badge on the C piller. These old eyes don't see small things so well any more, but it looked like the badge read Millenia Edition, or something similar. I've not seen these badges an any other Millenia. Anybody know what they actually say & what's different about the car they're on?

Thanks,
    Tuckerdog
    It is a 2000 special model:

Badging Description: "special Millennium Edition badging on the C pillars and logos on the door panels and scuff plates."

Quote "The limited-edition Millennium Edition is available in two exclusive colors, Highlight Silver and Millennium Red. To the S model, it adds 17-inch chrome alloy wheels, charcoal-colored suede seat and door trim, revised wood grain trim panels, a six-disc in-dash CD changer, leather-wrapped transmissions shift and handbrake levers,

-------------------------------------------

Quote "2000 Mazda Millenia
    Millennium Edition builds on excellent S model.

By Ted West

Overview

It was inevitable that Mazda would launch a Millennium Edition of its Millenia luxury car. After all, Mazda deserved that even more than Buick deserved a special edition of the Century. Presumably Mazda can carry this theme through 2001 to celebrate when the new millennium actually begins.

While that adds some distinction within the Mazda Millenia line, anyone who buys a Millenia will enjoy exclusivity because many shoppers miss this luxury car. It shouldn't be, because this is a great luxury sedan that and offers good value: Mazda dropped prices of the Millenia over last year. The entry price has been reduced by $1,750 over last year to $24,995.

Mazda Millenia S, with its supercharged 210-horsepower Miller-cycle V6 engine, remains one of the most interesting cars in the near-luxury class. A crisp-handling sedan that encourages you to go home the long way, it's coupled with the kind of gracious creature comforts that'll make you want to invite the boss along.

Model Lineup

Three models are available for 2000: Millenia ($25,245); Millenia S ($30,245); Millennium Edition ($30,995).

More Here:

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=673
  • tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks fwatson,

These cars ( Millenias in general )are pretty exclusive. Don't see them every day like so many others in their class. I guess these Millennium Editions are extra rare.

Tuckerdog
    The MM Editions look real nice. They have a darker silver than the 01's and you can tell they are something special. Only prob, and I know I will offend some, is that they only come in S versions. Good if buying new, bad if buying used. If they were in the P, such as the 02 Special Editions, would prob sell better. If you see the 02, have silver instead of wood, and the 17s on the P instead of S. IMHO the 2002 Spec Ed would be the MM to get. Best of both worlds, the 17s and nice interior.
    Quote "Best of both worlds, the 17s and nice interior."

----------------------------

There is plenty of room for personal taste, and I disagree on both of those. The interior of my "01 P is far nicer to me than with anything metallic showing in place of the beautifully finished wood. This is after all, primarily a "near luxury" car. And not only is the ride degraded by larger wheels (less tire between you and the road), the larger wheels are very easily damaged by potholes and curbs etc. That is the reason for a large number of shake and vibration complaints on many brands, not just MM.
    Fwatson, I am not a huge fan of the silver in the Special Edition. I like the wood myself. I just like the rest of the interior on the 01-02 compared to that of the Millenium Edition 00 (optitron guages, etc). The 17s have a worse ride but I like the chrome myself rather than the size.

On an unrelated note, does it irk anyone else that all Mazdas have the same rims nowadays? From the 3 to the van, all the painted 5 spoke with a little twist. They ought to offer some polished or chrome packages.
    I hadn't noticed the wheels being similar (or identical) on all the new model. The MPV for my wife, and RX-8 to ease me into old age ;-) are the only two I have paid attention. But I am really not in the market for any of them while my MM is still like a new one.

But if I was interested in chrome wheels as you seem to be, I'd check out custom wheels from various sources. You can get any size and style you might want, and they would not look like the ones on the other Mazdas. Probably a lot cheaper than from the friendly authorized dealer.
  • rpdrpdrpdrpd Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2001 MMS with 7k miles. I run my climate control on auto. I live in NJ. When it is cold out, even though the from defroster is on, the "picture" on the climate control area shows air coming out at the feet. Yet there is not very much air coming out, but there is plenty of air coming out of each dash-level vent located closet to the doors. There is no air coming out of the center dash vents. Is it normal for air to come out the dash level vents when the climate control system indicates "heat" from down by the floorboard? Or is something wrong with the direction of the airflow?
  • juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    I took my 2000 MME to Carmax a few months ago. We're growing out of the MME and need a van, we're looking at the 04 Quest.

That said, I was offered $8,200 for mine. At the time, it had 57,000 miles on it. The big problem was that the passenger rear door was repainted due to a small dent. The appraiser said that they wouldn't sell it on their lot and would wholesale it at auction.

KBB trade-in at the time was between fair and good, $10,500 - $11,800. That's close but not the exact figures.

I still have the car and plan on trying to sell it privately for $12,500.

I hate to see it go, but two car seats in the back seat are tight!!
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    I know that the 16" mpv wheels have the same offset as the 16" protege/5 wheels (which come in chrome), not sure what else they fit.
    OK, I had to run to town this morning, so I checked this out. Mine is an "01 P.

With the system on "Auto", I pressed the Front Defrost button and here is the result. The "picture" immediately changed from the arrow blowing at the driver/passenger to an icon of the windshield with air blowing up onto it (the person icon was still there). At the same time, the air began blowing from the vents on top of the dash onto the windshield, the floor vents and middle dash vents shut off, and the dash vents next to both doors continued to operate.

I pressed the switch that controls outside/recirculate and that made no difference. Looks like yours is not operating properly.
  • rpdrpdrpdrpd Member Posts: 36
    Actually fwatson, mine is operating just as you described. When operating in "defrost" mode only, your dash vents near the door were blowing, just like mine. When I am in "auto" this time of year, both the defrost icon and the "arrows to the feet" icon, heat setting, are running. I just felt as if not enough air was blowing on the floor to warm my feet, and too much air was blowing out of the dash vents near the doors. But it does sound like mine is operating as yours.
    One more thing. When I pressed the defrost button, the light went out on the "Auto" knob. Also I had no arrow pointing at the feet at that point. That might vary depending on conditions though. I am in Florida where the temperature was about 60 when I did the test.
    The vents next too the doors should blow when the defroster is on so that it can clear your side windows also. Mazda probable thinks that it is more important for you to be able to see out your windows as opposed to keeping your feet warm. I don't see why, but they do (joking). It sounds like the defroster overides the other mode settings. I have not tested this but what is being said sounds correct to me.
    I have seen many postings about the ease of bending the mazda S rims. I have to inflate my tire once a week to keep pressure in it. I have taken my S to several tire places including a dealership and they tell me there's not a leak and nothing seems to be wrong. Could my rim be bent and me not know it?? Just wondering. Thanks!
  • connectivconnectiv Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a 2001 Millenia Sedan (not S version) w/20k miles and in excellent condition being offered retail via GM dealership. Have spoken w/prev. owner and obtained maint. history and background, and all checks out. Dealer is including a GM 3yr/36k mi. bumper to bumper warranty starting w/purchase date. Am pleased with the performance and cond. of vehicle but have never previously owned Mazda and am unfamiliar with. Consumer Reports lists it as recommended and the tenative agreed upon price of $14k (incl. warranty) is well within Kelly Blue Book posting. Primary concern is that this model, orig. the 929, was discontinued in 2002. Any suggestions or offerings regarding this vehicle would be appreciated. Thanking all in advance.