Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    I said: "I agree that some are overly defensive and overly confident about Lexus."

You said: "bitkahuna ... still evidently believes that cult exists here (or at least in me)."

I rest my case on the defensive part, since I said nothing about a cult.

Based on studies though, overall clearly Lexus makes the highest quality, most reliable cars out there.

My beef was with a slight air of smugness in some posts on here and on the other boards, seemingly taking some delight in the problems people are having with S-Class vehicles.

And now you and ljflx doubting some poor guy's account of his LS430 problems, which sounded like you were doubting this could possibly happen to the LS430 altar.

On ClubLexus.com as well, there are some stories of horrendous problems (paint peeling off factory spoilers, major brake problems, cars that are impossible to balance properly, very shoddy dealer AND Lexus corporate treatment), etc.

We just need to all be humble, respect all opinions (even ones as badly presented as bolony's) and recognize that while most of us love our Lexus cars, some owners have bad experiences, and in fact, everyone's ownership experience is unique, depending on so many factors like expectations, perceptions, dealers, the vehicle, how it's treated by the owner, so it's pretty hard to generalize at all. I'm sure some people had a great experience owning a Yugo.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Since I started all this let me appologize to dzhango for the doubts I expressed. I said I would feel bad if it were true and I do. I hope you can resolve your problems. You shouldn't have them on a car of this caliber and if I were you I'd write a strong letter to the Lexus USA ceo if you keep getting a run-around. The dealer should also go to bat for you as he should know it will help him retain a customer.

Bitkahuna - if you want to see a cult go look at the S board this past winter. When you see comments like "heaven forbid you're going to buy a Lexus" you know that is a cultish arrogance that doesn't exist here. I think you mistake confidence for arrogance. Despite what I read here I still expect the car to remain as close to flawless as possible provided I maintain it properly. Why? - because I'm defensive of Lexus or my purchase? Hell no. I've had over 6 1/2 years of perfection so I have a lot of confidence that it will continue. On top of that my mom just went 7 flawless years and 96k miles in a v-6 xle Camry so I got her a 2001 in January which has continued her perfection. Do I have a guarantee that my Lexus perfection will continue? No. But I like my chances with this company and this car better than any other car in production. If something does go wrong they will still have a great batting average based on my experience. I'm pushing 12k miles on the pine car which is probably more than most people on this board and it is letter perfect. I honestly don't know anyone in a Lexus (or a Toyota for that matter) who doesn't rave about its reliability and great service, both from the dealer and the company so this coupled with the posts so eloquently written by flint350 who stated things better than I can are what led me to the doubts. Those things coupled with bolony's recent posts - and please I hope you don't take any of his instigating nonsense seriously - raised questions about a post I was dead wrong about. Remember we all took a long hard look at the S and rejected it. And I'll do it again when my lease is up. If we were such Lexus loyalists we would never have set foot in the Benz dealership in the first place.

See you guys in a few weeks I'm vacationing from here.
    Again I didn't say anything about a cult.

As for confidence vs. arrogance, there's a different factor on the S board, and that's SNOBBERY, the worst type of conceit. Thank goodness I don't see that here.

Anyway, I'm really not trying to stir things up here...

Your humble contributor.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I have a couple of thoughts about the exchange between Dzhango (BTW, I think it was Django Reinhardt, not Dzhango) and the others regarding "perfect" Lexi, about Lexus relaibility, and about this board. My LS 430 has less than 5000 miles on it and it has already required more non-routine trips to the service dept than my 90 LS 400 did in 125k. My groan is back (after the dealer has done everything they can think of to make it disappear), I had a creak in the door panel where my arm tends to rest (I'm tall and the arm rest is too low), and a creak in the rear suspension. The dealer and Lexus' Cust Service are still uncertain as to when the phone problem will be solved. I did not expect these experiences when I bought the car.

Having said all that, I am likely to buy a Lexus again when I am back in the market (although I will shop around, as I did this time). The dealer has been extraordinarily conscientious in dealing with these minor problems, and generally the car has been a joy. I want these problems fixed (and the groan is REALLY starting to get under my skin), but I expect that they will do so and that I will be pleased. No car manufacturer can achieve perfection, and perhaps Lexus has grown faster than they should have, but everything I hear about the dealer-and-service experience for the cars even marginally competitive with the Lexus convinces me that if I am annoyed about Lexus, I would be apoplectic about BMW or MB.

Finally, I enjoyed reading how intelligent and well-mannered individuals could reach agreement (after a rocky start) or at least an understanding on this subject. Makes reading the board a pleasure. Boloney, take a lesson.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Have you tried the "limits check" outlined in post #1601? My car's groan was "fixed" by the dealer, then started coming back. I went through the "limits" exercise and haven't heard it since (nearly two weeks, now).
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    First, let me emphasize that I enjoy the heat of the "debate" itself, while I present my own opinions. So, please take nothing I say personally. Now then, to your points.

w210 used the description "like a cult" to which you replied "I agree some are overly defensive and overly confident". My statement lumped these together to say you and others believe there is "some sort of cult following" behind Lexus. I don't believe this is inaccurate. I believe the two opinions stated together were characterized correctly. I didn't say you used the word "cult". Now let's not get too heavily into semantics, but I believe my characterization was accurate. You and I have had this discussion before and we still don't (and probably won't, which is OK) agree.

So, I believe you "rested" your case too soon since you based it on the fact that you just didn't use the word "cult" when you go on to repeat your contentions that many of us are "overly defensive" and re-iterate your earlier assumption that we "seemingly take some delight" in the S Class problems. You certainly imply, if not directly state, there is a contingent (cult?, following?, group?) that does feel that way. I believe that to be inaccurate and said so earlier. No one was taking "delight" in the problems, it was more of a "there, but for the grace of God, go I" kind of thing. Yet you repeat it, hence, possibly you still believe it. You add another comment about the "Lexus altar". So it would appear,to me anyway, that you do indeed believe in our cult-like following, as stated by w210. You may find this "defensive", but in my opinion, you rest your case on unstable ground. Whether you personally used the word "cult" or not is not the point.

As for my doubts about dzhango - I'll say it for you one last time - in my FIRST post on it, I apologized in advance in case of my assumptive error. In my second post on it, I apologized again and explained why I first had doubts. I strongly agreed with him and others that Lexus had screwed up and should take forceful action. I admitted then, now and always that Lexus is not perfect, yet you and others continue to imply that this is how I (we) feel. No one said this couldn't happen to dzhango, but we had doubts that were expressed. They were wrong. Now, how much more humble need I be?

I believe I do respect others' opinions, though I will not agree with you on bolony. As far as I'm concerned, he/she forfeited any respect from me with his/her outrageous comments. You are free to differ and respect them as you wish.

And while your last paragraph is nicely said, it is not new - we have been saying these things all along. Only, within that context, we have pointed out the differences and reasons why we chose Lexus over Benz or Bimmer or whatever. That is the purpose, I think, of these boards. The fact that one is most likely to experience less problems with a Lexus is not arrogance or pompous or conceit or snobbery, etc. It is a statistical fact, for which we should not be made to feel "defensive". Friends still, I rest my case. Ray
    Yes I did try that technique, and thanks for posting it. (You learn the most interesting things here.) Unfortunately, although it did give me more travel in the wheel (a good thing by itself) it did not solve my groaning problem. My 9-yr old has taken to imitating the noise as he gets out of the car. My next suggestion to the dealer is going to be to disable the tilt-away feature until Lexus can figure this thing out. I had the feature on my 90 LS and kept it turned off most of the time. Fortunately, neither girth nor age prevents me from getting out of the car with a stationary steering wheel. I am delighted, however, that the trick worked for you, and hope the solution is permanent
  • ifpskenifpsken Member Posts: 39
    I experienced a similar noise on both my 98 LX470 and 99 LS400. The noise was resolved during one maintenance visit with the LX but the LS required a part order which took awhile to arrive.
    Anyway, the dealer was able to rectify the problem, the repair orders stated a rebuild. If your dealer cannot resolve the noise why not request a visit from the factory rep. I had an alignment problem on a previous LS ('95), requested a visit from the factory rep and was given four new tires, as well as an alignment, as an apology!! The factory rep was an extremely pleasant individual and definitely wanted to please the customer. This service sold me on Lexus and was the primary reason I went with the LX470 instead of the Toyota Landcruiser.
    I meant the snobbery was on the S board, not here.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Since I was the one who first used the word 'cult', perhaps I should say a few words.

The thought came to me after seeing a few of fellow Lexus enthusiasts suspecting a member of making up stories of problems with his Lexus. Perhaps it's a harsh word but it came to my mind at that moment as I was quite shocked and overwhelmed.

Now I understand the situation better as apparently there is a story behind.

Lexus should be glad they have such a passionate group of followers, my apologies in advance. In fact, they should recruit some of you to work for them as part time consultants!

However, I must disagree with bitkahuna on the snobbery on the S board though.
    I will try the factory rep route. Odd (and disappointing) that the problem surfaced on an older model of the LS and wasn't remedied this time around.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Great post! Highly useful and effective for "groan" problem.

Thanks
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    It's too bad, and a bit surprising, that there is not only this seemingly unfixable problem with the steering wheel groan, but you can't program the exit position of the wheel yourself, without having to take it in to have the dealer do it. What a pain in the butt regardless of the groan.

All those things, steering wheel exit positions, doors locking when you put the car in drive (or otherwise), unlocking when you put it in park (or otherwise), horn sounding or not sounding when you lock the car with the key fob, lights flashing or not flashing, etc. should be easily programable and changeable by you, not the dealer, on a $60k+ luxury car. Really. If I traded in my STS for a Lexus, I would find that to be a glaring missing function that I would have expected to be there. Not everyone programs these things once and then leaves them there forever. Case-in-point among some of you.

My steering wheel made a noise too when it tilted up upon exit. No excuse for that to begin with, but at least they fixed it the first time. It was the hard rubber or soft plastic gasket inside the steering column.

I have noted from reading the Lexus LS and GS topics, and the Toyota Avalon and Sequoia topics that there are some pretty glaring problems the owners are experiencing with these supposed "perfect" cars. Not only that, but I have seen a common element in that these owners with problems are often (NOT ALWAYS) getting the runaround from the dealers, often being told regarding the problem claimed that "that's normal". Hmmmm.....
    It's too bad, and a bit surprising, that there is not only this seemingly unfixable problem with the steering wheel groan, but you can't program the exit position of the wheel yourself, without having to take it in to have the dealer do it. What a pain in the butt regardless of the groan.

All those things, steering wheel exit positions, doors locking when you put the car in drive (or otherwise), unlocking when you put it in park (or otherwise), horn sounding or not sounding when you lock the car with the key fob, lights flashing or not flashing, etc. should be easily programmable and changeable by you, not the dealer, on a $60k+ luxury car. Really. If I traded in my STS for a Lexus, I would find that to be a glaring missing function that I would have expected to be there.

My steering wheel made a noise too when it tilted up upon exit. The fixed it the first time. It was the hard rubber or soft plastic gasket inside the steering column.

I have noted from reading the Lexus LS and GS topics, and the Toyota Avalon and Sequoia topics that there are some pretty glaring problems the owners are experiencing with these supposed "perfect" cars.
    I can't disagree with several of the points you make: the groan problem is annoying, and Lexus should have found a problem by now. I also agree that more control re: programability would be a good thing (and I might feel more strongly about it if I didn't live 2 miles from my dealer, who has made these changes instantly when I have asked). But I must disagree, strongly, with the comment about dealer runaround. Perhaps others on the Toyota boards have had this problem; I don't visit those boards so I can't say. But I don't remember A SINGLE poster here saying they got a "that's normal" response to a problem from a Lexus dealer. And other than Dzhango, I can't remember a poster claiming to have received the runaround in any sense. That is not to say that it has never happened, or that everyone here has been entirely satisfied with the car (some have had very disappointing stories to tell), but with respect to dealer inattention or indifference, you must be doing research elsewhere because that has simply not been the expereince of those here.
    Like Nealm1, I share your desire for more owner ability to change the C-Best settings (tho' I believe you can at least turn the beep volume down manually for door locking/unlocking).

As for the "glaring" problems, those that I have read about here (I don't read the Toyo boards), while annoying and problematic, have been quickly addressed in most every case that I recall. Dealer service doesn't seem to be an issue, even with poor dzhango. Even he said his service dept was helpful or attempting to be helpful. And no one has called these cars "perfect". There is no such animal. It HAS been said by many that they are closer to perfect than most of the competition, and I think that's true. Now that doesn't, in any way, mitigate the problems some owners are experiencing. I'm glad to read about those problems because it keeps me alert as to what to watch out for, just in case. I never knew about the steering wheel limit switch until reading that problem - even though I don't have the groan (yet!?). Your own experience with your service dept. seems to me to be more the norm than your implied indictment of Lexus service in general.
    Not trying to indict Lexus service, just sharing some facts as I understand them as an "outsider".

Folks over on the Lexus GS board especially have shared stories of getting the run-around from dealers when they have brought their car in with problems. Examples being hesitation in acceleration, excess wind noise, and steering vibration that come to mind immediately. Many of them have been told "this is normal on the GS". A cop-out answer from the dealer, to say the least! Then, later on, these problems are fixed via a tsb or something.

I think in the case of many of you who have brought your LS in to have the steering wheel groan fixed, and had the car returned to you being told it was fixed, and it WASN'T; that's not JD Power's rated #1 service in my book.

Don't take me wrong on this, but I have sensed for quite some time now as though many Lexus owners are under some type of "Lexus spell", being mesmerized by some intangible "myth" about Lexus and its perfection, because when seemingly inexcusable problems do arise, many of you pass it off as some minor, forgettable hiccup in life and say things like "it's OK because the car is so enjoyable to drive otherwise..." or words to that effect. I mean, shoddy welds in the rear wheel well? How can that happen in today's computer/robot operated factories?! On THE top of the line Japanese car model, no less! Yet, that same problem on a domestic car and you'd be lambasting it as a POS that you will NEVER buy again. There just seems to be a lot of "denial" going on among some Lexus owners, and I wonder if the JD Powers ratings are not skewed because of that.

Just an observation, here, and not aimed at anyONE in particular...

Rob
  • davestevenscadavestevensca Member Posts: 3
    Did someone have their driver's side seat cushion replaced? I find the seat most uncomfortable. This is my third Lexus and all were most comfortable but even with 14 settings I can't seem to find a good fit. Seems like some padding is missing and the seat tilt is very limited. Only have 800 miles on the car and haven't been back to the dealer yet. Thanks in advance for your input.
  • carlo7carlo7 Member Posts: 7
    Dave,

I have the same problem with my 2000 ES. I'm thinking of buying a 2000 LS to solve the problem. After 2 or so hours of driving the ES my right leg hurts enough to give me a little limp for while. It seems to be because the seat bottom won't tilt enough. My last car was a Diamante and the seat was fine. Is your LS a 2001? Do you feel this seat thing would not be a problem in a 2000?

Thanks,

Carlo
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Dave,

When I first got my LS430, I too found the seat uncomfortable, too firm, not enough padding. However, I found that I got used to it, and after a long drive my back never was sore, as it used to be in my much more comfortable Cadillac seat.

Of course in your case there might really be something wrong with the seat, so by all means have the dealer check it out. But if he gives you the "They're all like that" story, in this particular case he might actually be right.

Renny
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I guess there is no perfect car. All brands can and often have problems from time to time. However, my limited experience with automobiles (having owned Lincolns, Cadillacs, Fords, Chevolets, a Saab9000 turbo, Chryslers, a Dodge, a Mercury, a Plymouth, Hondas, and a GMC Suburban, 3 Lexus LS's) my most perfect car, before my current LS 430 was a'90 LS 400, bought in August '89 and driven for 11 years. My experience with Lexus has solidified my commitment to the brand.

robbh3, you may want to experience that thrill of ownership yourself. Comparatively, I believe, is a superior product.
  • beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into the LS430 for my oldman, he has a 00 S500....which is not living up to its $$$ tag, this is his 3rd MB- but probably his last.

So, I went to go look at the LS430...nice car, question though- the sticker said the wood trim is "genuine" (while I'm sure they aren't lying)...the light colored wood looked sort of fake.

Also, by opting for the Ultra Lux package...do the door armrests/dash get stitched in leather/vinal (as shown in the brochure photos)....the one in the showroom was rubber/plastic (didn't have the UL package).

The choice is either going to be the LS430, or the 03 745i BMW (questionable looks in photos, will have to see it in person).
  • rindgerindge Member Posts: 9
    My pioneer(am/fm/cassette) set-up in the 92 LS400 does not have cd option. So I installed a cd-player in the trunk that has to be tuned in via fm radio. BIG MISTAKE. Sound quality is crappy. The radio dealer says I can tear out my dash and put in a cd player that gives me better sound, but I like my dash as is, I just wish it had a CD-button. Can I bring it to the delaership and get it refitted with a cd (in the trunk)/am/fm/cassette setup?
  • rindgerindge Member Posts: 9
    The seat in my 92 LS400 is the worst ever. I love the car albeit the seat issue. Has anyone ever re-upholstered or added cushions to the 92 LS-400 seats? How much cash are we talking?
    Since your factory stereo is not designed to accept an additional audio input (CD), it may be difficult to add one in a seamless way such as you'd like.

The dealer would charge you an arm and both legs to incorporate a CD changer into your setup.

Suggest you find a good after market audio place to incorporate one - I'm sure it can be done. I agree that those FM radio setups are crap.

As for the seat - I'm not sure if you're saying the seat is just shot, or you think even a brand new one would be as bad. You might consider just getting a replacement seat from either a crashed car or the dealer. Sure won't be cheap to get a new one from the dealer though ($1000?).
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    Considering '98 LS 400 vs '99-00 E 320 or 528ia - my local dealer has a '98 black ls 400 (cpo) w 33,000 mi. Car has all options (nav, hid's, chrome wheel) xcept nakamichi - Asking $36,900 - what should retail be for this car given that '98 is now another model yr older with '02 models coming out? - Thx
    Suggest you check Edmund's and other pricing for comparison, but that sounds a but high to me for a 98.

CPO gives you a warranty, but doesn't really say anything about how the car was driven or maintained.
  • jgwaltneyjgwaltney Member Posts: 39
    did ck edmunds - had $37,490 as price for a cpo '98 ls 400 w/ these options - but agree w/ you still seems a bit high - thx
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Answers for you...

1. Yes, all of the wood in every LS is real. Some do look weird though (like the grey wood on the Ultra, but it seems other cars like Jaguar are doing this also).

2. I do believe the only way to get the nicer leather door trim and console is with the UL package.

Hope this helps.
    Yep, even Benz has announced (I believe) that they will offer a wood trim in a marble-grey like color, just like the LS. Mine is the ecru birds eye (grey) and it does look like marble to me and is elegant looking in its understatement, I now think.

And I hope merc1 isn't lurking over here - heaven forbid he should read that Benz is copying something else from Lexus, given his intense dislike for Lexus copying from Benz. Who cares.
  • beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info....appreciate it.

After looking over the brochure for awhile....I just can't get over how much more equipment is in the Lexus Ultra as compared to the Benz- you would seriously have to add like $10k in options to the S500 $80k mark to match it (thats crazy).

Mill Silver/Black U-L Aniline leather.....nice.
  • agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    i have sports suspension LS430, with the 17 inch summer tires...and i was just wondering that if driving on unpaved roads(gravel, dirt, pebbles) would affect any part of the vehicle, or damage anything...or if it would be no problem and wouldnt matter...thanks for the input.
    btw, car is the best in the world.
    thanks
  • rob8rob8 Member Posts: 16
    rindge,
    the problem may be with the cd changer/fm modulator unit you tried. I have a 91 LS400 and about a year ago decided I wanted a cd player. I went to al and ed's in pasadena,ca and had them install an Alpine 6 cd changer which runs through an fm modulator to the radio wires. It sounds very good. The installer even mounted the changer in the glove compartment and the controller in the ash tray. (By the way, I first tried the pioneer changer/modulator and it really sounded terrible--muted sound and way too much distortion) The Alpine really sounds great--obviously not as good as a direct connection, but way above acceptable. If you go w/ the Alpine unit be aware that the modulator has a gain setting which is adjustable via screwdriver. So before your installer tucks the unit in a hard to reach place, play a few CDs to figure out what level gives you good sound quality w/o distortion. I turned mine down a bit less than 50% and it's good for 90% of my music.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I read everything here. And where did you see where Mercedes is coming out with that color wood?

M
    They already have "black birdseye maple" in the AMG vehicles.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I have a question for those with the nav system. I currently have a 1995 ES 300 that I bought new (I only have 36,000 miles), and most likely I will be trading in this fall for the 2002 ES 300.

Since the nav system will be optional, I'm wondering what owners who have it think of it. Do you use it a lot? Is it easy to use? Does it make it difficult to use the radio?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Useless TOY! I tried using mine (RX300) at first and found it leads me astray more often than not. Basically not enough resolution outside of 50 major US urban areas.
  • fabtfabt Member Posts: 22
    Lenscap, I have the nav system on the LS430. At first, I did not even want it, but had to take it because it was bundled with the Mark Levinson stereo that I really wanted.

Boy, am I glad I have the Nav!! It's incredible; easy to use, very, very helpful, I don't think I could live without it now, even for quick trips around my neighborhood. You will be amazed by it's technical prowess, and ease of use.

In the LS, the driver side speaker mutes out when the nav. 'speaks' so you can hear it over the radio. If it is still unclear, you can lower your radio manually, hit the 'voice' button, and the message will repeat itself.

Definitely get it when you have the chance.
    I don't know the vintage of wwest's system, but beginning with the '01 DVD based systems, nearly every street in the country is shown. We find it very useful, whether at home or in the boonies.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    version 2000.

My problem more amounts to serious software bugs than loss of map resolution.

Twice now I have entered distination addresses and had the system "successfully" compute a route and off we went. As we neared the distination out in the toolies north of monroe WA the nice lady's voice came on and annouced that due to lack of resolution we could now follow the compass for general directions.

My cell phone bailed us out of that one.

The second one was in downtown Bellingham and I simply stopped and asked for directions at a service station.

The second BUG has the effect of placing the vehicle where it is not. I was travelling, under system guidance, on a roadbed next to I5 and suddenly it decided that I was on I5 and started giving me directions accordingly. Note please that it was the system itself that had guided me to the adjacent roadbed so other than a software bug there is no excuse for "jumping" me to I5.

I haven't used my NAV now fro many months as I just can say when it can be trusted.
    lenscap - wwest has strong feelings about a lot of things. He's right that if you live in the boonies, the system is much less acurate and useful. I live in metro Atlanta, and my older (hard drive) system is still IMMENSELY valuable.

I use it at least once a week to find a new address or a previously visited place. It takes the headache out of trying to read signs or figure out where to turn, etc. In hundreds of trips it's only lead my slightly wrong once, and that was WAY outside Atlanta.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Excellent system, in my opinion.

One of MANY features I find valuable is the audible notification of the lane (left or right) that I'll be using when I exit an expressway.

I agree that it CAN be a distraction, but overall I believe it to be a safety factor. Reason: MUCH less time looking for street signs, exit ramps, etc.
    Srongly disagree with wwest on the nav. I find it to be extremely helpful, almost always accurate and the database functions are very nice as well. ANY computerized system is prone to an occasional fault or glitch (how's your computer running these days?), but in the overall, the DVD nav system is terrific. Way out in the boonies, I too have had it change from "turn by turn" guidance to "follow the arrow". But even this helps. And besides, I would bet over 90% of the average driving is not out in the boonies. I am planning several cross country trips with my system and expect excellent results based on what I have seen so far. It even "sees" traffic circles coming and gives you advance voice warning of it and which exit to take out of the circle. When the split screen comes on, it clearly shows on the rt. side of the screen exactly what the road sign will say at your exit. Very helpful info. Of course, any database goes out of date and some minor inaccuracies can occur, but rarely in my case. I would HIGHLY recommend the system. Even my non-tech oriented wife has come to love, admire and use it.
    I don't recall, but I might have read it at Curt Rich's MB site (great newsletter for you BenzNuts, by the way, if you're not familiar -

http://www.curtrich.com/index.html

He also adds that Benz is going to forego the silly "ergo" seat button and put in a #3 memory position - copying again :) ? And fix the A/C problems and add one-touch autofolding mirrors - sounds like another blatant copy ploy to me!!

Seriously, though, as a true Benzaholic, you should visit his site if you haven't already. The newsletters are very informative and usually quite humorous.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I too love the Nav system, and found it amazingly complete and accurate, and very easy to operate.

On a recent trip to Santa Cruz, CA, to visit a friend living in the wild mountain forest, it guided me to the right place but as I approached it, the little "Me" icon started to drift off the road. I was still driving on the road that the map showed, but the Nav seemed to think that I had left the road and driven into the woods. It drifted way off the road, maybe 2 inches or so, and didn't even seem to know which way the car was pointing.

I figured the huge and lovely trees had blocked the GPS signal, and the Nav was trying to dead-reckon where I was, with very little success. Maybe I was even in a canyon shadowed by the mountains from the GPS signal.

Anyway, that was the only time I had any problem with the Nav, and even that didn't really hurt me because I was already on the right road and just had to look for the mail box sign.

So I say, get it, you'll love it.
    I had to meet someone the other day... they told me the name of the restaurant and were trying to explain where it was relative to an intersection. I said don't worry, I'll find it. While driving over, (yes, while in motion), I touched 'POI' (points of interest), then touched 'restaurants'. All the restaurants known to the system come on the map as icons. I touched the icon for one, its name pops up, that wasn't it, then I touched 'next' and it moved the map to the next one showed it's name, that was it! I could have told it to just give me directions there, but there was no need because I was close enough, but it was incredibly useful.

You might ask 'is that worth 2K' or whatever the feature costs? Maybe not for one time, but I've done this over and over, plus it's helped me find numerous ways out of traffic messes, let's me find the brand of gas station I want when I'm somewhere unfamiliar, etc. Its value just goes on and on. Is it perfect? (And I of course have the older, less capable, and less detailed hard drive system.) No, but do I regret getting it? HECK no!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yep they've had that for years and years, so I'm still trying to figure out where the coping that Flint350 was talking about. The wood in AMG vehicles has been there long before the 2001 LS430, and it isn't the same looking as the marble looking wood in the LS430. It's not even close.

flint350,

Just as I thought you have nothing to back up the copying claim. A third memory button is hardly coping see as though Mercedes had memory seats before anyone thought up the name Lexus. Folding mirrors, you're kidding right? Again this feature was present on certain Mercedes models since 1992. Joking right, right? I'll check out the site, thanks.

M

P.S. Let me know when you find out about this so-called wood trim that looks like Lexus'.
  • kcfankcfan Member Posts: 2
    I want to get a new luxury car and have already narrowed it down to a ultra luxury LS430 or a mercedes S430/500. I love the LS430's interior and features that I want like park assist, laser cruise control, the mark levinson audio system, and the DVD NAV is great. My huge problem is the exterior. It looks just like a Toyoata Avalon and looks like in an old S class from the side a little. I don't know if that look can grow on me. I was offerd 65k at a local auto show for an ultra in March but I didn't know how rare that opportunity was because I wasn't in the market. I called back up today and they offered me 68k. The S class has an awesome sleek design that I love. In fact if I had to say one bad thing about the design it would be that it looks too much like a c class, but you can tell the s class is much bigger though. I wasn't so sure about the command system but my co-worker has one and says it isn't that bad after you learn it. My problem with the s class though is the plastic used in the interior and the price. By the time I get the 6 disc cd changer, the phone, distronic, parktronic, and ventalaited front seats I am looking at 80 grand and one local dealer is pretty set on or about the msrp price? I have a 98 ls 400 and I love it and I want to keep this next car till or about 2010. I know the lexus will last and I do know that the benz can be very expensive to repair but to me there just doesn't seem to be a clear cut winner. Any opinions and advice will be appreciated.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Sounds to me like the issue is:

A) How do I feel about what others & myself think about the appearance of the car?

B) How do I feel when I'm driving the car?

It's probably a combination of the two. A STEP toward resolution would be to assign an importance factor (1-10) for each, then rate each car in it's satisfaction of each (1-10 scale). Get a total score by multiplying IMPORTANCE * SATISFACTION.

Or, add more factors; e.g. quality, reliability, dealer reputation, etc.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I had the same problem. my MB dealer is 3 miles away and my lexus is either 62 or 142 miles away. My problem with MB is that engineering should make things transparent. the command system uses cd technology and is very difficult for even my salesman to use. also, quality lots of gliches in my last two MB's. So i agree that the styling of the s class from the front and side is nicer (rear is bland) the quality of the lexus, ride, power and price went over the top. granted the ls has a phone problem but i got the mounting bracket from pro-fit to fit my nokia.

Though the exterior is better, the interior and quality of a vehicle is what you and your passengers live with EVERY DAY!!!!! The interior is like a private jet, my friend who has an s class asked how much (61k) and was shocked that his s500 had poorer quality interior pieces and a poor command system. Remember that as you adjust the temp at 80mph. try anything at 80 with the s class. adjust the radio, mute the radio, change the temp, ask for points of intererest with the s class command system. try it with winter driving gloves. Let your wife drive it ---the ls ergonomics are class perfect. easy for anyone to intuitively use. short learning curve.

NAV--no contest--command system buttons are too many, cluttered, small and i have to take my eyes off the road to deal with them--how much is your safty worth??????
    ERGONOMICS--no contest
    QUALITY--no contest (we plan a weekend trip to columbus easton mall when we go--but that is every 5 months)

SERVICE EXPERIENCE--no contest--when we go to lexus, i am greeted by the service tech, helped into the lexus loaner which is already running to get cooled down. MY WIFE WAS SHOCKED. SHE WON'T GET AN MB AFTER OUR EXPERIENCE WITH LEXUS SERVICE.
    MB lost me to lexus,and they will have a tough time winning me back. Will you get an MB loaner when you get service. I got ultima's and maybe a honda accord--i had to keep insisting on a non-smoker car. my friend who got the ML 55, gets a honda loaner. for the money he spent and my other friend you shouldn't have to even ask for a similar safe product. I came to work with a 1 year old rx300 lexus loaner, he came with an accord. GEE MB what are you thinking.

Summary---even at the same price i'd go with the ls it has the best driving experience and ergonomics, best quiet, best ride, best trunk, best service, best owners experience--it's the benchmark for quality and service. then when you see it's 15k --25k less I JUST LOVE THIS THING MORE AND MORE EACH TIME I GET IT.

sorry for the winded response, but am passionate about this TOTAL EXPERIENCE. when i send my wife (if i ever have to) to lexus i know she will be well taken care of. Not so with MB service, i had my wife come home angry that they didn't believe her when she told them what was wrong, and didn't give her a loaner, to do a test drive. When we need a new suv, quess where we are going