Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Well, this is a heck of a co-incidence but I once worked for Standard Brands and they owned Julius Wile & Sons (I actually knew the Wile family) back in the mid and late 70's. I still have a two compartment bottle of Bene/B&B from that era (I'd say 1977 or so) plus a 3 compartment Garnier that Wile also imported. But I don't know where all of Wile's products ended up. I know Benedictine went to Bacardi at some point, so look up Bacardi or parent relationships (assuming one might exist) of Bacardi to see if it gives you a transaction history, which might give you the date of ownership change. It would be after 1978. Back in the mid and late 70's Wile was a small importer of some real exotic liquors and wines, including Benedictine. I wish I could tell you how to locate a date plus I'd love to know what happened to the other great imports they had - Delamain cognac, the Garnier line which was heads and shoulders better than Marie Brizard and the Chanson and Prats Frer wines. The only other thing I could think of to tell age is the IR tax stamp. If it is somehow still attached to the bottle than it has a stamp number and by that stamp number you can trace it back to the time it got into the US. It was likely produced in a month or two month period before that paid tax stamp was put on the bottle.
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I have the Verizon/Motorola V710 BlueTooth phone. Originally, it would not ring in the car. I had the local Verizon store perform a software update last week. They did an in store update and it lost it's sync with the auto and had to be reinitiated. Works fine now. Maybe they have an update for your phone also???
  • Options
    rolandjrolandj Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the insight.

the bottle does bear the tax stamp on it, with a NY-I-610 on one side, and the number 718911247 on the other. it also says series 112 on it. all of which, is greek to me.

i did a yahoo search on this info to no avail.

but there was some positive result for delamain, by which i was intrigued.

http://www.delamain-cognac.com/

thanks, i'll keep looking. :)
  • Options
    kerstenkersten Member Posts: 12
    Hello,
    I am considering a 1990 Lexus LS 400 with 65000 miles on it....An older couple had it and had all services done at the dealer, seems like a creampuff,Silver ext./burg.int... recently had the timing belt changed @ 60,000 miles...My question is this, they are asking 7,000 and that is over 1,000 above Edmunds TMV, and on KBB the retail is 8,300 with private party exc. at $6,400..Car listing sites seem to have these models for about $6-7000, with 120,000- 175000 miles on them.... The ratings speak of this first year model in high regard along with it being solid, vaultlike, smooth acceleration and tranny,...my question is is it worth such a premium over the TMV value?? I am also considering an Acura Legend 91 or 94 with similar miles and prices ($5,000-91, $7,000-94)...thanks to any or all for your comments or suggestions on what to watch out for on the Lexus...
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    If it's really that clean, IMO, it's worth the money. At that age, it's fully depreciated out, and it's condition you're paying for. Do keep in mind though, that at that age, regardless of mileage, it's not going to be trouble free. These are very complex, and it's still 15 years old, despite the mileage. Stuff is gonna break.
  • Options
    Much thanks to you NVBanker! I appreciate your input...I am also considering a 94 Acura Legend with 64K for about the same money ($7,000)...you seem to be quite car knowledgeable ...if the Legend is in real good shape also do you think I should go for that as it is 4 years newer??? I am looking for a quiet ride...I have a Honda Accord 1990 that has wind noise around the drivers side door now...maybe I should just get new weatherstripping??? Though I have a 3rd child starting to drive,... Anyway, thanks again!!
  • Options
    sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    kersten,
    Glad to hear you are considering a LS400! You'll find this board full of Lexus owners who are more than happy to share their experiences with. I still have my first Lexus, a 1992 LS400 and can vouch for their long term dependability. This car sounds like it is in good shape, but as Nvbanker said, this is Still a 15 yr old car.

A couple of things to look out for:
    1) Make sure the 60K service has been done. Considering the timing belt has been done, this should be okay. It seems odd they didn't replace the Water Pump at the same time. (This is purely a precautionary move)

2) With a car this old, Suspension components may be in need of repair. Rubber gets brittle with age so it may be worthwhile to check out. If something does need repair, it won't be that expensive.

3) Power Steering Systems on this car are a trouble point. Make sure you change the fluid regularly. (Use Dextron ATF Fluid only!!! This is also written on the cap of the fluid reservoir) These pumps have a habit of leaking, but you can get a Re-Seal kit for them. You can tell if there is leak if you hear a whining/whirring when you turn the wheel fully from left to right.

4) Fluids are the lifeblood of this car. Do not take this car to Jiffy Lube! This car uses special lubricants that are unique to Toyota. Toyota dealers can change the fluids for you at a significant discount compared to the Lexus dealer.

5) I'm sure you noted how the display lights up when you start the car..The good news is that it is pretty to look at, but the bad news is that those needles can burn out with age. The dealer will claim you need to spend $1500 to replace it. The truth is you can have it repaired for about $350 (Just had to do this myself).

6) Learn to ask questions at the dealer. Unforunately Lexus dealers like to prey on unsuspecting customers and charge $$$ for needless repairs. Demand they show you what part is broken and ask for the old parts back (They MUST comply under law!) I nearly had to sue my dealer over something like this! Even though this is a Lexus dealer, the same rules apply regarding Dealership practices.

If you have any questions about the car, just ask on this board. We'll be more than happy to help you!

As for the LS400 vs Acura. I'm obviously biased considering I'm a Lexus owner, but I'd take the LS400 anyday. Not that the Acura is a bad car, but this LS400 was built to beat the best. This particular car changed the luxury car industry forever. (No hyperbole I assure you!) Toyota spend over $4 Billion developing this car, and they have not taken any shortcuts. I can tell you this car will be one of the best cars you'll ever own. (Even though repairs can be expensive!!!)

Hope this helps
    Sam
  • Options
    WOW!! It sure does help! Sam thank you very much for all of your feedback. I printed out your points to consider and to look for, along with NVbanker's thoughts....I go back to hopefully buy it tomorrow...
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    kerston, I owned a 1990 LS400 for 10 years and 145000 miles. This could be the best automobile ever built. Not me talking, I have read this several times, including on this board. Some things will obviously need attention, but I would not hesitate to buy this car if it is all you say it is. The condition and mileage sound almost to good to be true. Acura is a fine car,BUT no contender as compared to the LS400. IMHO. GOOD LUCK...........
  • Options
    pjekoopjekoo Member Posts: 14
    I have owned both a 1991 Acura Legend and the LS400. I can tell you that the Acura was a more reliable car for me, as it was trouble free to over 100K miles. I did have some trouble with my Lexus, such as the shocks being too soft, the torque converter going out, the water pump, the alternator. However, the Lexus was much smoother and quieter. There is simply no comparison. The acura was very rough shifting of of park and reverse. The road noise was also significantly more. Even with the extra trouble, I'd still prefer the Lexus. It is also a much more beautiful car.
  • Options
    Thanks for the honest opinion pjekoo...especially from someone who had both...Thanks!!
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm gonna go way out on a limb & put in a vote for the '94 Legend, if only because it's 3 years newer. And I wonder if it doesn't have a bit less expensive stuff to potentially go wrong.....also I've noticed how people go nuts trying to find nice low-mileage Legends.
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I had a 90 LS that I bought used in 92 with 35K miles and drove for another 12 years up to 165K miles before I bought an 04 LS. I agree with the prior posts and this car seems to have some very anticipated things go wrong with it. Almost everyone loses the LCD temperature displays which dealers charge $500 to repair but the part can be exchanged for $250 if you are up to dismantling the stereo/HVAC controls yourself. The power steering pump also goes on this model and puts the alternator at risk from the leaking. I replaced the water pump and the A/C evaporator (expensive) but never had a days trouble with the engine or transmsision. I would go with an excellent condition LS over the Acura anyday but you'll need some cash put aside for repairs. There are plenty of people who buy new cars to have a predictable monthly lease expense or car payment because they "can't afford" to buy a less expensive fully depreciated car and risk an unanticipated several thousand dollar repair.
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you for your ideas.... It is always nice to hear from you all who have experience in owning a certain type of vehicle...I better get a repair account going so I have a chunk for repairs...I went to look at both the Legend and the Lexus and they all left town for an extended weekend ...Tomorrow I check back in to hopefully buy one!!
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Well the new Nav DVD (Rev.05.1) is out. This is for the 04 model and later. I just received mine from lexus-parts.com, installed it and it's working fine. Actually down here in Southern California the coverage has been quite complete already so I haven't really noticed any improvement, though presumably the restaurant listings are more up-to-date. Anyway it's nice to know that I've got the latest :-)

Renny
  • Options
    Exactly.
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Hi Renny:

Thanks for this info. Originally my dealer said it was to come out end of Jan... I've got the 02.1 on my '03 LX and looking to update to the 05.1. I suppose this should work on mine too, and if it is not too challenging to install myself, I'd like to do it. Any link to the *how-to* will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    The how-to was posted by flint350 in message 4769. I quote the main part:

"Install is nothing more than removing carpet in trunk (just roll it to the left side), take off the obvious cover on right side of trunk to expose the unit. Remove the two side screws and tilt the machine up, exposing the front insert slot. Have the car powered up, slide the left little slot cover open (just left of DVD slot)to expose the eject button. Push that and exchange the DVD's. Be sure car is powered (doesn't need to be running, just key in the accessory position) for the exchange - the update will begin automatically and display on then nav screen. Once complete, just tilt unit back down and resecure screws and cover."

I also recall that someone else warned not to let the little screws fall down into the trunk well because it is very hard to get them back out. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post link. I also found a DIY on the lexus-parts ordering website. I ordered the 05.1 update, and happy with the $259 cost cos my dealer was charging lots more. Will do this install myself once I receive the DVD.
  • Options
    Just installed my new DVD....Installation went perfectly, no need to re-program preferences, they all remained, as did previous destinations, etc. Very pleased. Appreciate whoever told us about Sewell Lexus in Dallas, helping us get them for half of what my dealer wanted to charge me. Also, thanks to whoever gave us the installation instructions initially. That's what Edmunds is for, IMO. :P
  • Options
    wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    How much was the 05.1 update?

Thanks
  • Options
    gwendolyngwendolyn Member Posts: 46
    What kind of oil...should be used during oil change...is castrol bad for this car? or should we use mobil...etc...the engine is ticking is nerve racking...the egr pipe was replaced at 101k...curently have 114k...

Thanks,

Gwen
  • Options
    Gwen,
    I think the recommended oil for this car is 5W-30. Check the Oil Cap on the engine or your owners manual to be sure. I don't think Brand name makes a big difference unless your are going synthetic. The Synthetic vs normal oil is a controversial subject in itself.

Hope this helps,
    SV
  • Options
    $259, from lexus-parts.com
  • Options
    Yep... I paid $259 + shipping.

BTW, does anyone know the major differences b/w Gen 2/3 vs Gen 5 Nav ? Are there more POIs, and how much more ? I installed the upgrade 05.1 today, and it looked like the old v02.1. I haven't taken it out for a ride yet, so I guess I have to find out how much changes. However, I am just curious whether there were any significant increase in the POIs for this Gen 5.
  • Options
    It appears the the noise I heard is not valves ticking but a belt instead...down by the fan/radiator...to replace the belt per lexus is 50-60 plus 1/2 hour labor...I'm relieved it's not engine problems...

Thanks,

Gwen
  • Options
    The difference between our Gen2/3 and the new one is the operating system has been improved, different color options and some additional menu options. It looks a little different. What you should find with your new 2005 DVD are more streets, frankly, plus updated POI, etc. So far, I'm very happy. Vegas grows like an out of control weed, and my old DVD didn't get me into the new areas, like for example, my Doctor's office was in the middle of a big open field on the map. Now, it'll take me there and show it.
  • Options
    lexuswannabe3lexuswannabe3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have an active Carfax subscription? I'm looking at buying a used 96 LS 400 and would love to get some background info. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    You are absolutely correct. The 05.1 release simply updates the maps and POIs. So I now find 677 Starbucks I can choose from.... Good for me, since I am a Starbucks addict :)

Talking of growing, San Diego is one of those places where housing growth exploded in the past 5 years, and upgrading to latest map is a necessity for me as well. Still will not correctly identify my home address, always putting me 2 houses away, even after several calibration attempts..... OTOH, the 2003 version in my '99 LS (hard disk-based) correctly identifies my home everytime .... Go figure.
  • Options
    garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Still will not correctly identify my home address, always putting me 2 houses away, even after several calibration attempts..... OTOH, the 2003 version in my '99 LS (hard disk-based) correctly identifies my home everytime .... Go figure.

Hey oac, I don't know how the previous version works, but in the DVD version, the database only has the beginning and ending house numbers on each block; in between it just assumes the numbers are spread out evenly. So the best way to avoid the annoyance is to set your "Home" by location when you are actually in your driveway (rather than entering your house number and street address; it will not show your correct address, but at least it will tell you you are home when you actually are! Works for the other presets, like Office, too.
  • Options
    Keep in mind though that it is stored and if your car is ever stolen the thief has access to your home with a built in garage door opener. I never store my home location.
  • Options
    Hmmm, but of course a thief just needs to look in your recent destinations list and could probably find your address there pretty easily (unless you never use the GPS to go home). I would hate to give up the convenience of just hitting the Home button, so I just consider my garage not secure anyway and the entrance from there to the house is locked; the most that a thief could get is some bicycles and a lot of garbage.
  • Options
    Thanks, Gary.... The car is always sitting inside my garage when calibrating it for my home. I just thought the DVD versions with more POIs and maps should be far more accurate than a HD-based version, but I guess not. WRT Len's point about a thief knowing my home address if the car gets stolen, I have never really thought of it that way. I guess I gotta avoid places where I can get car-jacked, eh ? Last year, someone removed the front turn signal on my LS at Burbank, an LA surburb... So maybe I gotta think more about the *Home* setting on the Nav, not to be paranoid or anything :)
  • Options
    Gary - I just use my cousins address about a quarter mile away for start and end points on the nav. Maybe I'm too paranoid about this though.
  • Options
    I don't consider myself paranoid, but I too, do not use the NAV to go home. I can generally (not always) remember where I live, and try to go it alone.
  • Options
    luxoseekerluxoseeker Member Posts: 10
    While I think it's wise to not have your home location saved in your NAV system for security purposes, keep in mind that if your car was stolen and the thieves really wanted to find your house, all they have to do is find your registration card that will, more often than not, list your home address.
  • Options
    While I think it's wise to not have your home location saved in your NAV system for security purposes, keep in mind that if your car was stolen and the thieves really wanted to find your house, all they have to do is find your registration card that will, more often than not, list your home address.

If you don't put your house key on the same key ring, what is the concern anyway? And even if they get a house key, I have a security alarm, and I don't have the code for that on my car key.

Of course, none of these things will stop someone that really wants to break into your house. But getting the address off of the NAV system doesn't make you any more vulnerable.

And if you use my suggestion and set the Home by actual location when you are at the end of your driveway ("use current location" or whatever it says rather than inputting the actual street number), if the thief can figure out how to look up "Home" in the system, he will go to a neighbor's house (or there won't be a house with a matching number anyway) -- and you will still be able to enjoy the convenience of being somewhere and just hitting "Home" and letting the lovely NAV lady direct you right to your door. If he tries to drive your car to the house, maybe he'll get confused when the house number doesn't match, and give up anyway, wearing a face like this: :confuse:
  • Options
    If a guy steals my car, I would wish nothing more than that he drive to my house and open the garage so I can shoot him.
  • Options
    If a guy steals my car, I would wish nothing more than that he drive to my house and open the garage so I can shoot him.

Except you're probably sitting in the restaurant having a lovely dinner while he is stealing your car and driving to your home! If he stole the car out of your garage while you are home, he didn't need the NAV system to figure out your address! ;)
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I live out in the desert near Tucson and don't have to worry about such things!
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the clue! (JK) :P

Seriously though, the man up top is right - your registration and address are in the car, a thief knows that. So, what's the big whoop, eh? Except, Christine (name I call the voice behind me) will more easily direct the thief to your home. I think the "key" is in not losing your "key", because these guys are hard to steal without one.
  • Options
    Noise near the engine... First Lexus said replace the fan belt, that should rid the noise...did that...noise is still there....now Lexus is saying the water pump is going bad...will replace for 1050.00. I feel duped, because prior to buying the car, the 90k mile service was done at 101k miles and they didn't replace the water pump, while replacing the timing belt....now 13k miles later,the timing belt and other stuff must be replaced when I have the water pump done. Is replacing the water pump one of those repairs that should be done by the Lexus dlrship? Or can a reputable Japanese repair shop do it?

Thanks,

Gwen
  • Options
    Hi Gwen,
    You should hold them accountable for the 90K service. I'm sorry to say this is typical of Lexus dealers. Most dealerships will replace the pump with the timing belt at the time of the 90K service. They'd rather replace parts than take a diagnostic approach to it.

I'd call the dealer's Service Manager and let them know of your situation. If you feel they aren't being fair call their Customer Service Dept at 1-800-25-Lexus.

They shouldn't have to replace the Timing Belt again just to get at the water pump. $1050 sounds excessive to begin with. It's a few hours labor and a little over a $120 for the actual pump.

A Japanese repair shop ought to be able to handle this, but I'd ask for their reasoning to suspect the water pump.

Hope this helps,
    Sam
  • Options
    Anybody ever bother to check the belt tensioner idler bearing?

The MOST likely source of noise at high mileage, other than new drive belt noise which can be isolated by wetting it slightly with a garden hose.
  • Options
    Can we start a campaign to have Lexus make the above.

The 248HP in my 92 LS seems perfectly adequate and given the rise in base price the LS could use a model with a lower starting price point.

Or an LS400h using the new DFI V6 plus electrics.

Oh, never mind the AWD LS hybrid thought, Lexus would do it FWD biased and I doubt anyone would buy that.
  • Options
    chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    One of the convenience features missing from my 2004 LS430 is a memory seat for the front passenger. I was surprised today to find that feature in the 2006 ES330, and still not in the LS. How does Toyota justify that?
  • Options
    yak54yak54 Member Posts: 72
    If anyone is driving the car with Euro Sp. Please describe the driving and handling characteristics.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    spideryspidery Member Posts: 1
    Would appreciate some feedback on the best tires for my 98 LS 400. I live in the mid-atlantic area, VA specifically. THANKS! Rick
  • Options
    cneumancneuman Member Posts: 55
    I have been reading and enjoying this board and others on edmunds for a long time, but this is my first post. I have found many of the long time posters to be very knowledgeable as well as entertaining. Please help me with my decision. I know this is an apples and oranges comparison, but anyway...I'm trying to decide between a used Lexus LS430, my dream car since reading so much about it since 2001 and a new Hyundai Azera. I live in Chicago and so I'm also concerned about the LS in the snow, athough I have had other RWD cars in the past with no problems, but not with the horsepower of the LS. It would also be difficult for me to change to snow tires in the winter. Aside from the snow problem, which one would you choose? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Don't let your snow concern stop your dream of an LS in the garage!

The LS handles just fine in the snow and you can use the "snow" mode to adjust the transmission to start in a higher gear, making starting much easier. I live in Northwest IL with my '04 LS and while having a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels I have been caught with my normal tires in snow and I just had to take it a bit easier on that occasion.

It's too good a car to not have it the remainder of the year. I will tell you that I store my second set of wheels/tires at the tire dealer (no cost to store) during the year and a minor charge to switch them. Tire Rack has great deals on snow tires/wheels and shipped right to my local tire dealer for me.