Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    i am looking to replace my dunlop tires on my 2001 ls430. costco has BF Goodrich Touring T/A pro all season tires for $100 each mounting included. has anybody had an luck with these, i was told these are new and were replacing another line that was discontinued? i called the dealer and they are looking for $900 + tax for bridgestones all season tires which seems a little high, or $45 to mount a tire purchased elsewhere. help
  • cneumancneuman Member Posts: 55
    Thanks aggie76. You said exactly what I was hopeing to hear. I remember when you posted about the purchase of your new LS and have enjoyed your posts since that time.

Regards,

cneuman
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I love the Michelin energy MXV4's, but they will run you $160 each. Geat tire and far superior to the Dunlops. Sears has them or can get them for you in addition to many tire places.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I also own an 04 LS in the Chicago area and although I love the car, it handles poorly in the snow and dedicated winter tires are mandatory. I used to just change the tires on my 90 LS but I bought a 2nd set of wheels for the new car. I don't know what you mean about it being difficult to change over the tires. I store my second set at home and it will likley only cost me $20 to have the car jacked up and wheels changed. Dealers near me will also give you the option of paying $1000 for four tires and they will store them and do the changeovers.
  • molexmolex Member Posts: 12
    I OWN A 01 LEX 430 ULTRA PAK LOADED TO THE FULL. MASSAGING SEATS ,REFRIGRATOR , SMART ACCESS, LEXUS LINK AND MANY OTHER OPTIONS. IS THERE ANYBODY THAT CAN SUGGEST ANYTHING TO ME AS FAR AS MAINTENANCE OR ANYTHING I SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR. IT STILL HAS 19000 MILES AND JUST WANT TO KEEP IT UP. CAN I REALLY UPGRADE MY NAV DATA? IS THER ANYONE THAT HAS AN LS 430 WITH 20 INCH RIMS OR BIGGER? ALSO WHY DOESNT THE LS430 HAVE A MEMORY FOR THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT! ANY SUGGESTIONS OVERRALL WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi molex, welcome.

A little advice - posting in all caps comes across as shouting, and it also makes your post difficult to read. I'm sure you don't mean to be yelling at us, so give us a chance to read your posts more easily and see if we have any suggestions.

Hope we can help.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You can update the Navigation DVD. Go to www.lexus_parts.com and you can order the DVD. You install it with the car on, or at least the key in the on position. It goes into a player in the passenger side of the trunk, under the mat. Simply replace the old one with the new one, and screw it back in. Cover it up, and you've saved $200 the lexus dealer would have charged you to put it in.
    Will I be able to eject the disc without unscrewing the player?The new disc will probably update alot of stuff and will be well worth it.
    Nope, you will have to loosen the unit to eject it, replace it than screw it back down. Remember to leave the key on, or start the car, and it'll automatically load up, saving all your preferences. It just updates the map, that's all.
    Thanks nybanker!
    I was just at the chicago auto show and I seen the new LS460L in the flesh.....I have only 1 thing to say WOW!!!Everything about it was bad [non-permissible content removed]. They still dont have a set price, but the spokeslady said about 80 to 90 thousand. I dont have nothing negative to say. I just wonder how it drives.?
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    I have been driving a 2001 LS 430 with Euro suspension. The car rode "hard" upon arrival and I immediately replaced sport tires and 17" rims in order to get a "softer" ride. I still rides harder than a non Euro suspension but after 55 k miles I don't notice it any more. Am looking at a 2006 and will not get Euro suspension for I want "soft".
    Several questions related to 2006
    1. Currently own 2001 LS 430 and will probably buy 2006 in the next month or. I don't see any mention of Lexus Link in current literature. Is it still on option?
    2. Live in Wash DC area. Any ideas on where to get best buy. Edmunds suggest $60k or so.
    "Luv" my 2001 primarily because I am able to get into and out of car and the drivers seat fits me just right. Entrance/exit and seat comfort is most important as my injuries from Viet Nam leave me fairly "stiff" most of the time.
    Am looking at a 2006 replacement as I fear 2007 models and beyond will not fit me.
    Will appreciate thoughts on: getting a 2006 and differences since 2001, and getting a 2006 for reasons noted above.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    1. Currently own 2001 LS 430 and will probably buy 2006 in the next month or. I don't see any mention of Lexus Link in current literature. Is it still on option?

My understanding is that Lexus stopped offering this with the 2005 model.

2. Live in Wash DC area. Any ideas on where to get best buy. Edmunds suggest $60k or so.

About 15 months ago I found Lexus of Rockville to be the most aggressive dealmaker in the area, but you have to ask (politely, of course). It's against Edmunds' policy to give salespersons names here, but I can say that my email address is in my profile. ;)

Also, you may want to post in the "Lexus LS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" forum. Search that forum for "Rockville" and you'll see others since seem to agree. Good luck!
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Prior to purchasing my 2003 LS 430 and 2005 RX 330 I sent email messages to numerous mid-Atlantic Lexus dealerships in Richmond, Raleigh, Virginia Beach, Newport News, and the Washington area requesting prices. I got the best price from Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria in both cases. I then took that price to the dealership nearest me (Newport News) and they matched it. Price from any one dealer will vary considerably depending on the options that you want.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    Will appreciate thoughts on: getting a 2006 and differences since 2001, and getting a 2006 for reasons noted above.

Since they're all from the same generation, I don't think you'll notice much difference. I have a 2005 LS and a good friend just bought a 2006 LS. I cannot tell the difference. both cars appear identical on the inside.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    We just got our first Lexus and we went with the 2006 LS430.
    Lexus of Orlando, Florida is offering a $9000.00 discount of the MSRP.
    We were able to purchased the Flint Mica with Black interior and the Ultra Pkg.
    Does anyone knows if it is a CD for leaning all the buttons and switches ??
    We went to a few Lexus dealers and Lexus of Orlando treated us like royalty , we were comfortable and relax thru the whole process.
    Lou
  • garcongarcon Member Posts: 5
    anybody know one? I would appreciate it...

Gary
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    Lexus Thousand Oaks is very good. I bought my LS there.
    Also, Santa Monica Lexus is EXCELLENT. I have all my service done there since it's closer to my house. Hope this helps.
    We just bought a new 2006 LS430. On Friday the 10th ,I am going to the Lexus dealer to have the windows tinting and for sides pin stripes.
    Does anyone have an opinion ??
    Any special film for tinting.
    How do you guys feel about the stripes , pro and con ??
    Lou
    I had my LS tinted when I bought it, and have regretted it. Oh, it looks great, but you can't see out of the damn thing.

Pin stripes???? Sounds a little much to me...
  • garcongarcon Member Posts: 5
    just swapped my old 90 ls for a 91 with less mileage.
    does anybody know if the gear ratios changed btwn years.

I could get up to 25 on my old 90 under ideal conditions.
    I seem to be getting about 2 mpg less on the 91 and I'm driving it exactly the same. All opinions are welcome.

Thank you,

Gary
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I owned the 1990 for ten years,,,averaged 20 mpg combo about 75/25 highway. I suggest you check the tire pressure. A few lbs to little can cause the problem you describe. To my knowledge there was no difference between the 1990 and the 1991 that could cause any difference in gas millage.. good uck.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Have a neighbor who also regretted having tinting. Same problem as nvbanker--couldn't see out--very bad at night. Suggest leaving the pin stripes to GM and Ford cars.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I would pass on both; too nice of a vehicle to mess with.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I agree with WBWYBN, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't like to see cars with dark tint on the driver/front passenger windows. I can't tell if the driver is there or not and if he sees me coming. However, a neighbor had tint put on his Prius windows because the A/C could not keep up with the heat build up here in NM. As for striping, it's personal preference; however, I would not mess with it.
    I sure love Edmunds.
    Thank you.
    You guys are absolutely correct. The more I thought about it the more I agree with all
    of you. Is our first Lexus ,I am passing on both items, it looks terrific the way it is.
    Flint Mica and Black interior and the Ultra Pkg. , at a great price.
    Thanks again.
    Lou
    Anyone here who have had the PAINT PROTECTIVE FILM installed on their LS? I note the dealer has it listed as an available accessory.
    RIPOFF! BEWARE! They put some clearcoat poly-sealant on it, and I'll bet they charge you $1000 for it, right? It's wax. It's good for it, but only to the $40 level. Have the thing waxed twice a year at a carwash, and you'll be even better off.
    PAINT PROTECTIVE FILM is a clear plastic type film that is applied on the front of the hood and maybe the headlights to deter rock chips. The product I'm referring is shown on my local Lexus dealer's web site under accessories. I have seen the film that protect headlights and it is very tough. I have seen the paint protector offered by GM where you have to take it in to have it waxed periodically. On a car I purchased some years back, I refused to pay for that and they threw it in the deal for free
    Ok, if it's the plastic front end protector, that's different and I apologize. That is good stuff, if you like it, and it can save you a lot of rock chips and broken headlights.
    I recently took delivery on a 2006 LS 430 and am having great fun getting acquainted with the new car. It is different enough from my 2001 LS that I need some study to get everything up and running.
    Car is blue tooth compatible and I would appreciate thoughts on which cell phones work well, and as importantly do not work, with the new car.
    I live in the Wash, DC area and am currently using Sprint cell service. Am pleased with Sprint and would like to continue with them if I am able to find a phone.
    Bye the bye---I highly recommend Lexus of Rockville for price, pleasantness and service.
  • manegimanegi Member Posts: 110
    I need some advice from the experts on this board.

Currently I am considering either buying LS460 after introduction, or current LS430 if I can get a good deal. The Toyota dealer (in Tokyo, where I am based) tells me that LS430 will stop selling in June, so I need to put in my order before that. One problem in Japan is that the market is not as efficient or transparent as in the US, so I am not sure what kind of discount should I ask for before I go and say "If you give me this price, I will buy". If I pitch it too low, then I may run out of time (in the back and forth - Japan is quite slow when it comes to negotiations - and thus maybe lose the opportunity to buy current LS at a discount), on the other hand if I pitch it too high then I will have buyer's remorse....

What kind of discount can be expected on an outgoing HELM like LS430? Look forward to your comments.

Manegi
    I purchased a 2006 LS 430 on 3/16. I previously had a 2001 LS 430 MSRP $64, 209. Purchase price $58,100. Included modern lux pack, smart key and preferred accessory package. It appears that 2006 inventory is declining and my dealer had only a few on hand. Good luck"
    http://lexus.letstalk.com/brands/lexus/mlh_splash2.htm
    The above URL is the one the local Lexus dealer gave me. My experience is that the dealers are not aware of compatible service providers for cell phones. I purchased a Verizon V710 Motorola about 18 months ago and like it very much with one exception, the phone book in the phone will not download to the nav system in the car. Verizon is in the midst of a "class action" law suit concerning the phone and a "refund/trade trade option" should be announced soon. I thot that Verizon would update software to allow the phone to download the phone book to the Lexus and that was the rumour for some time. I guess that Verizon chose not to activate all the features that Motorola described available in the phone. Anyway, be careful on your selection. As I said above, mine works great, just no phone book in the car.
    I don't know anything about the Japanese car market. Here in the US, you can expect NO discount on the new 460 - so unless money is no object, I'd get the 430 now, as the discounts are pretty healthy. However, if I were falling off my wallet, I'd wait and pay whatever it took for the 460 when it arrives. :shades:
  • manegimanegi Member Posts: 110
    I'd get the 430 now, as the discounts are pretty healthy.

Can I assume "healthy" = 10% off sticker price?
    Actually we got $9000.00 of MSRP.
    The Out The Door price with sales tax of 6% was less than $ 69900.00
    With the following options : Ultra Luxury Pkg. , Prefered Customer Pkg. , XM Radio , Smart Key.
    The pictures of the LS460 did not impress us , we could have waited but we loved the shape inside and outside of the LS430.
    Our dealer is excellent we were treated like royalty. Lexus of Orlando , Florida
    Lou
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    I would use 10% off sticker as a starting point on an 06'; it's definitely doable and maybe even better if you shop around. The 07' release has everyone's interest, but the current model is a terrific automobile that will be trouble-free and wonderful to drive for many years.

I'm not in any rush to get out of my 04' when the redesigned LS460 hits the streets. You could have some kinks, especially with a groundbreaking 8-speed tranny.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • kdvaillancourtkdvaillancourt Member Posts: 19
    I need Help/Wisdom...I have opportunity to purchase a used LS400. Option 1: 1997 LS400 with 97k miles excellent condition, original owner, all records available and serviced at Lexus Dealer Option 2: 1999 LS 400 with 80k miles, original owner, all records available and services at Lexus dealer...I like both colors and options. To me, it makes more sense to buy the "newer" vehicle, but I have a feeling that some years are not always the best. I thank you in advance..ALSO: PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE BETWEEN THE OPTIONS.
    Buy the one you like best - either would be good, but understand, these cars, good as they are, are getting old. They will occasionally need service.
    A question might be whether the major service that is usually done around 90K has been done or not. I believe they change out/replace the timing chain, etc. and the bill is expensive. If one has had the service and the other has not, that might be a factor.
  • pietwopietwo Member Posts: 6
    I had it installed by the dealer 30-days after I purchased a new LS 430. They couldn't get me in sooner. I believe they called it Lexan. It's a clear film a little thinner than an typical business card. It goes up about 18-inches on the hood, covers the headlights partly, includes "patches"--like those elbow patches which were once common on sport coats--on the back of the mirrors; the "painted" side. Also, there is a strip on the door edges, and maybe under the handles unless this is standard. They wanted $800 or $900 for it, but I told them "no" and then they wanted to split it. I said, "I'll think about it," and got up to leave. They through it in. Somebody probably does it for less. I saw film installed on an SC which appeared to be a few years old and it appeared to be visible, separating and discolored. Of course, I don't know whose film it was or who did the installation.
    Good luck with yours. I did not choose to have it installed when I took delivery in Oct 05. Just wondered if anyone on the forum had experience with it. Thanx
  • luxoseekerluxoseeker Member Posts: 10
    I also had the paint protective film installed on my '05 LS, though I had my detailer do it. One month later, I was nailed be a rock on the freeway. It slightly gouged the film but did not go through to the paint. It's been a year now, and there are lots of little nicks in the film where I've been hit with rocks. For me, it was worth the $850 I paid.
    What I hate, or like, depending on my status in the deal process, is when all of their cars already have had the protection applied, and are sitting there with it on, and they tell me, the $900 treatment needs to be paid for, because it's already on the car. That's when I say, well, I didn't ask for it, and I don't want it, but I won't make you take it off. Still, I'm not paying for it, or I won't take the car. Somehow, they reluctantly throw it in every time, but they're pissed. And I understand why.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi,
    The 1999 is a vastly upgraded car. It has a 5 Speed Automatic, and a 290 HP V-8 with Variable Valve Timing. You will definitely notice the difference in performance with the 1999.

I had a CPO 1998 that had problems with the cluster. It would blink intermittently. Also, some of these cars had problems with the cluster, for example, the 99 has a great computer which tells you how many miles you have left in the tank. Some early cars needed to have their cluster replaced because this wouldn't work properly.

Other than that, it is a great car. The 1999 had the wooden steering wheel and shifter and the Xenon headlights. The 1997 is a mild restyle of the 1994. The biggest changes came in 1998 from a mechanical point of view.

Hope this helps,
    Sam
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    For lovers, or true "player-haters"!

I think we sit on the sunny side of that fence.

See if Lexus has addressed your concerns with tomorrow's World Premiere in NY!

DrFill