Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• glabglab Member Posts: 11
    This is the answer I got from the tire Vendor ( Not manufacturer- Still waiting for their response). But bottom line they do not consider 9-12 lbs of road force variation unacceptable and justification for tire replacement.

Below is the quoted response.
    "

The Hunter GSP9700 is a great tire and wheel service tool for identifying
    and correcting possible sources of vibration. According to Hunter's GSP9700
    website (http://209.176.154.132/), they identify road force measurement
    default limits for Passenger tires as 26 lbs and Light Truck tires is 39 lbs
    (http://209.176.154.132/pub/technical/limits.cfm). Therefore the 9 to 12 lbs
    you reported for your KUMHO ECSTA ASX tires are well within normal values.

Because road force is dependent on the wheel runout, tire runout and force
    variations within the tire, one variable not confirmed through Connor was
    the runout of your Diamante's wheel(s). Any wheel runout will be directly
    reflected by the tire mounted on it. That's why the Hunter GSP9700 is
    designed to assist the technician in matching the lowest spot of the wheel
    with the highest force variation of the tire to minimize the combination's
    road force values. The GSP9700 is even able to identify which of the four
    tires should be mounted on specific wheels using their ForceMatching Codes
    (http://209.176.154.132/pub/technical/4202T/2OPER004.cfm).

Since the 9 lbs of road force tolerance indicated by the Mitsubishi Training
    Instructor it is only 1/3 of the road force value identified by Hunter, it
    sounds overly optimistic for today's used wheels and replacement tires.
    While lower values might enhance ride, if the Diamante requires wheels and
    tires with that low a road force value, perhaps it's an indication that the
    vehicle is overly sensitive to road force variations. It is also possible
    that Mitsubishi specifies 9 lbs of road force for new vehicles equipped with
    brand new wheels that haven't experienced 20,000 to 30,000 miles of bumps
    and potholes before being fitted with replacement tires.

Tires with road force values of 9 to 12 pounds would not be considered
    "out-of-tolerance" by us or the tire manufacturers.

If you don't have a vibration, I would recommend that you continue to drive
    the vehicle as is.

If you do have a vibration, I would recommend that all four wheels and tires
    be measured and mounted according to the Hunter GSP9700 ForceMatching Codes
    possibly requiring that specific tires be remounted on other wheels within
    the set.
    "
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Finbar O'Neil has announced that the Diamante will be discontinued (as has the Montero Sport; no surprise there). The Montero may also be discontinued after 05. He said they will concentrate on a smaller product lineup with the Galant and Endeavor as the main show. I guess that means the 04 model is the last year. I'm a bit dissapointed they didn't decide to remake the Diamante with the Galant platform, but it makes sense financially.

On another note, the 4th visit was apparently the charm. They finally seemed to have fixed the drain hose floorboard leak. The tech said they had to take apart the evaporator box and clear out debris as well as completely take the hose out of the car and clear it. So far, no more leaks. But I question why so much debris is inside the car after only 10k and why it took them so long to figure out how to fix it. They also installed new front rotors. Braking is much improved and I retorqued the wheels as soon as I got home. Now I will see if retorquing the wheels keeps the rotors from warping again. Keeping my fingers crossed this is the last of my problems.....
  • glabglab Member Posts: 11
    Exports of Magna to US axed
    July 28, 2004 - 5:34PM

Exports of the Adelaide-built Mitsubishi Magna to the United States have been axed.

The decision from Mitsubishi America is another blow to the Australian carmaker which has already announced the shutdown next year of its engine plant in Adelaide and the loss of about 350 jobs at its nearby assembly line.

It also comes as sales of the Magna continue to struggle on the local market, falling 35 per cent this year.

The last shipment of about 600 cars for the US, badged and sold there as the Diamante, left South Australia last month.

They will continue to be sold by US dealers for the rest of 2004 or until stocks are exhausted.

The Diamante's demise in the US has been linked to both the age of the current model and the more recent release of the new Galant, a car similar in size.

The Galant will also provide the basis for the Magna replacement in the Australian market which is currently under development in Adelaide and is due for release next year.

Mitsubishi Australia managing director Tom Phillips said the decision from Mitsubishi America was not unexpected and would not impact on the company's plans for the future.

Company spokesman Charles Iles said it stemmed from a move in the US to focus on particular models.

"They looked at their overall strategy and decided to concentre on what they consider to be their core models," he said.

Mitsubishi said it would continue to export cars to the Middle East and New Zealand and expected total overseas sales this year to reach about 6,000, down from about 10,000 last year.

When exports began to the United States in 1992 it was viewed as a major coup for the Adelaide factory.

Since then almost 95,000 cars have been shipped to the US, with 2002 the company's best year when about 18,000 were sent.

But demand fell away to about 6,000 last year and was not expected to top 2,000 this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/28/1090694019558.html?o- neclick=true
  • vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    Please visit http://128.242.141.111/pub/technical/4514T.cfm and note that on a typical car imbalance should not exceed .3 oz. Also note that at 70MPH, a road force variation (RFV) of 30 pounds created a vibration equal to an imbalance of .75oz which is 2 1/2 times the tolerance. (the text on the web page has a typo and says "1 1/2 times". Now, divide the .75oz by the 30 pounds and you get a ounces per pound of RFV of .025. That would put the tolerance of .3oz at 12 pounds of RFV.

However, that is for 70mph. For 50mph, the amount of imbalance from 30 pounds of RFV is 1.5oz, or 5 times the limit. Dividing 1.5 oz by 30 pounds gives you .05oz of imbalance per pound of RFV. In this case the .3oz limit happens at 6 pounds.

So, Hunter's web site says 6 pounds of RFV is the limit for 50mph. The Mitsubishi Training Instructor recommending 9 pounds is actually a higher value than the Hunter test implies.

Any time tires are balanced on a GSP9700 they should check the wheel radial and lateral runout and match mount the tires for the lowest RFV. If your wheels were out of tolerance, it should have shown up in the balancing process. All of mine at 35000 miles were below .010 and that is fine.

Notice, also that on the Hunter page at http://128.242.141.111/pub/technical/limits.cfm
    it says:

Every vehicle platform has a different sensitivity level and tolerance to RFV and imbalance. Known sensitive vehicles may require lower limits to resolve ride disturbance issues. For example, in some cases, an extremely sensitive vehicle may be affected when the tire/wheel assembly is above 15 pounds RFM. A setting of 26 lbs for P Tires and P/SUV Tires is often used as a “middle of the road” limit and does a reasonable job of identifying tires or wheels that may cause a problem.

As to tire warranty, most tire manufacturers will honor a warranty replacement if the tire fails to provide a satisfactory ride. They usually limit the guarantee to the first 30 days. I don't know if that is the case for your tires.

A good case in point is that the vibration did decrease when they rebalanced the tires, indicating that the problem was caused by RFV and not something else.

Mr. Vivona
    Yes, it is indeed sad to hear that the Diamante will be discontinued. It was actually amazing that the Diamante sold at all with the total lack of advertising and press coverage. Mitsubishi never featured it in its advertising, even when they listed the product line.

I don't find the new Galant anywhere near a suitable replacement. The carbon fiber trimmed angular interior may appeal to a young tuner, but it has no appeal for me. I like the Diamante's luxury wood and leather look. And since the early 90's when Galant shifted production from Japan to America, its reliability has not been the same.

Honestly, I do not have a second choice in mind. I expect to run my Diamante at least five more years and will have to look at what is available at that time to decide. Nothing else in the near luxury field appeals to me. ES330 is butt-ugly. Acura TL is an expensive V6 Accord. I don't like the stuff from Infinity either. And forget the German cars. Horrible reliability, strange interiors and awful underhood service accessibility. I check out all makes each year at the International Auto Show and always drive away in my Diamante with a big smile. Long live my Diamante.

Mr. Vivona
  • familymanfamilyman Member Posts: 8
    Hmmm...
    I hate to take advantage of the situation but I am wondering if the 2004 D will drastically drop in price, and if so, I wonder by how much?

It is still a very good car in my opinion. I do hate the front headlights compared to the original 1997 style. The engine power though now lower rated by todays standard (240HP+) is still very good performer.

It is unfortunate the car reviewers here at Edmunds saw it a different way which didn't help promote the car in good or at least neutral light.

I sincerely cannot relate to their views of the car. It seems that they came to the review already prejudiced that the car was already 'bad' and cannot compare at all with the 'elite' lines from other manufacturers.

All of my workmates still look at my '99 diamante and admire the looks both inside and out.

I's d say if the leftover 2004 Diamante LS gets down to $18-20,000, I'd trade in my old '99 D. for it.

-
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I like these cars but why in the world wouldn't they put side airbags and a 5-speed automatic in this car if they are available in Australia?
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/mitssite/jsp/pages/vehicles/s- pecs/specs.jsp?groupId=3

No wonder they lost the most important market by purposely cheapening the car...
    Mitsu is finally giving in... Add the $3000 loyalty rebate and one of these babies will be mine :-)
    I was checking the price of the 2004 VR-X w/ leather and 44 miles at my local Carmax.com and it kept going down each day. I finally decided to pull the trigger this past weekend at $19,999 minus the $1,000 bonus rebate minus the $500 education edge rebate but someone from NC snatched it right before I got there.

I saw this Diamante up close for the first time that day and it looked so good, especially in black. In a way I'm happy because I don't really need a new car right now and have other loans to take care of... but you have to admit that it was a deal of the year :-)
    Carmax in Atlanta has an 04 silver LS for $21378, not including the extra $1k carmax rebate. I believe Mitsu is offering a $500 loyalty rebate, but I'm not sure. The LS isn't as nice looking as the VRX but this particular LS is the fully equipped model with the seat heater/traction control option. An excellent value if you ask me. It does tick me off though considering I still owe way more then that on my 03 LS even after making 8 payments! UGGHHH....
    Yeah, it's not as nice looking as the VR-X and I think that its wood trim looks a bit tacky plus it's more expensive :-(

Sorry that you owe more on your '03 but you can always argue that you have the last of the best looking Diamantes. After seeing a '04 up close I would not say that myself though :-)
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    2004 is the last year for the Diamante, Montero Sport and Lancer Sportback.
    Hey, just because the word is out the Diamante will be discontinued for 2005 doesn't mean there is nothing to talk about regarding current Diamante's. I plan to drive my trouble-free 1999 Diamante for at least five more years, probably more. My wife will go even longer in her trouble-free 2002. I am sure there will be many years of current Diamante's still on the road. Let's hear from the owners.

Mr. Vivona
    My 03 D has about 11200 miles now. No further problems although the brakes still have a slight vibration. I'm beginning to wonder if an out of round tire is causing it, rather then a warped rotor, especially since the Goodyear tires have been known for problems on this car and there is a vibration felt through the steering at highway speeds. The vibration is tolerable so I'm not going to worry about it for now. Other then that and some wind noise coming from the front passenger window, things are going ok.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    If the rotors are warped that could cause some vibration at highway speeds as well though.
    The vibration at highway speeds is when the brakes are not being applied. Its only noticeable as a slight steering wheel shake. The brake vibration can be felt at any speed but its not constant. Sometimes its only a few shakes and then its smooth; other times it shakes a little longer. The vibration is significantly better after they put new front rotors on my car, but its still slightly there. I feel its either a bad tire or the rotors are being warped slightly since they didn't replace the old brake pads. Who knows. I'm just glad the nasty shakes are gone.
    Warped rotors could also cause vibration during highway cruising as well. Not just when braking.
  • figginsfiggins Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 03 VRX in Dec. I to have been back in the shop for repairs. Three sets of brakes and still have vibration. Not a small vibration but horrible. Drivers side window has been adjusted 4 times to remove the wind noise and it is still there. Lumbar switch in drivers side 3 times. But you can not beat the power from this car.
    I installed dual aftermarket horns on my 03 D. A huge improvement in loudness. The horn can now easily tell others I'm in the lane they are trying to get into. The installation was relatively simple even though the original bracket was only meant for one horn. I utilized a bolt in the bumper area to attach the second horn below the first one. Lord only knows why Mitsu's most expensive sedan would only have 1 horn when the 13k Lancer has 2. I highly recommend this upgrade to any later model Diamante that lacks the second horn. I consider it a safety feature since the original horn was so wimpy that it couldn't be heard at highway speeds. Now it can startle drivers at any speed :)
    lngtonge18 - I have considered upgrading to a louder horn.

1. What aftermarket make/model horn did you use?

2. Did you verify that it did not draw more amperage than the horn relay can handle?

3. Did the new horn come with a loudness rating, usually stated in decibels?

Mr. Vivona
    Assuming that the vibration only occurs during braking, and that it goes away when they turn or replace the rotors, then comes back about 3,000 miles later, your problem is caused by the dealer overtightening the lug nuts. They almost always do this no matter where you take the car.

Read this article to find the whole story:

http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article2.htm

Mr. Vivona
  • dave12dave12 Member Posts: 1
    Wonderfully informative and comprehensive! Other such info??
    dave12 - I am happy that you found the article informative. I wrote a total of four Diamante articles before that site stopped accepting new content. You can read them all at:
    http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/diamonds.htm

The subjects are:

1. How to remove a radio in a second generation Diamante

2. Brake pulsation

3. Rough idle and stalling

4. A cool storage space

I hope you, and others, enjoy the articles.

Mr. Vivona
    I believe the name of the horn was blaster. I'm sorry I can't be more descriptive but I threw the box away the same day I installed them. I bought it at Autozone although I have seen them at Discount Auto. They are red in color with a bright chrome grill covering the opening, the only ones like it. They sell the high and low note together in one package for about $15-20. I can't remember the decibel rating but I believe it was around 110 each. I didn't varify the electrical drain but since the earlier Diamantes (97-98 I think) did have dual horns, I believe the system was designed to handle it.

So far I haven't had any problems with blown fuses or strange smells. The upgrade was definitely worth it. It still sounds higher pitched then I like, but it now sounds like a large American sedan and the horn can even be heard by a semi at highway speeds. It sounds authoritative, thats for sure. And setting off the panic alarm sounds off 3 deafening horns. You should do the upgrade!!

If you do decide to do it, I highly recommend taking off the left blinker assembly. It's held in place by only one screw and it opens up a nice access hole so you see what you are doing better and get a hand in there.
  • rlloverrllover Member Posts: 3
    Hello Folks,
     I just want to share my experience with both of my Diamante vehicles. In 1996 I purchased my first Diamante and that was a 1993 ES Model with 82k for $13,500. Replaced Transmission in 2001 at 180K and vehicle lasted for about 4 months after that job. 4 seals needed to be replaced and I got tired of replacing them year after year so at 184K vehicle was given away. I have to say that I was 17 and I went to the DLR to initially purchase a 300Z at the time but could not get financing because of my age as well as the 300Z was a 1990 model and the bank wanted a first time buyer in a new vehicle. I had no intention of buying a Mid Lux vehicle but I had driven over 60 miles to get that DLR. So I test drove a Millenia and a Lexus and then the Diamante and I was hooked. Any way after the first Diamante died I purchased a 99 Diamante LS in 2002 for 15k with 32,000 miles. I now have 72K on that vehicle and just recently had to have my rotors replaced as well as the drive shaft. I also hate the fact that I have to clean the Rims every 2 weeks due to break dust. I will say that I have been very with both Diamantes but if you do buy one you should understand that you will probably end up having to drive it into the ground. I only signed a 48 month term and had a down payment of 3k and a rate of 4.24% and was still upside down by $1,300. Funny thing is I purchased a 2001 Acura RL with 35k for $24,500 1 month before buying the Diamante and if I were to trade it in now I would have $2200 of equity in that vehicle and I did not put any money down and signed a 60 month term. Oh well I have been happy with both Diamantes and have no regrets but If they did make a Diamante in 2006 I would not even think about buying it new. I was going to say it is the best used car in the business but my father who has always been a Acura Fan purchased a 2000 Acura RL with 33K in 2002 and he paid only $21,500.

P.S Another funny thing was that when I purchased the 1999 Diamante I could not drive it off the lot because something called a Heat Core had to be replaced. I really did intend to rave about how wonderful both Diamantes have been to me but after re reading my post I am starting to think maybe I am just blinded by the beautiful styling of the cars.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    back in hi-school -96-98 a kid had 1st gen diamante and it always got alot of attention and i went to a large public hi school) Including me I thought wow thats a sweet together looking car, And in our senior yearbook it was voted "sweetest ride" it was kinda grayish black color i always thought it looked BMW-ish in a way.I got to ride in it and remember it was a real looker inside to, everything electric, smooth quiet engine, good balanced ride, incidentally at the same time I was driving my dads hand-me-down 1990 mits galant when i turned 16. when i got it in 94 it already had tons of miles 100k + well I drove that thing till 1999 with 220,000 miles and the most i did to it in 5 years was new struts and i was less than carefull with this car, It always came back for more, and looked and had more options than friends accord which had more problems than my mitty ever did, I wrecked it in late '99 with nearly 225,000 on it. anyway the whole right corner was mangeled pretty bad but driveable and drove it still the whole summer, though the accident did something to the a/c. and got pulled over a few times at night because of improper headlight allignment, needless to say i only had liabiltiy and knew insurance wouldnt pay, somebody offerred me $800 for it and that was the end of me and my galant, come to find out here late in 2004 thru a carfax search i was curiuos if they had history on my old gal and sure enough
    it was last reported In west virginia and i live and sold it in chicago land area. it said last reported as a inspection station 11-2003 at
    reported mileage. 302,439 miles i couldnt beleive it an i sold it wrecked. with 225k miles have no idea where car was in-between time, Id love to find out if my almost 15 year old gal is still pounding the pavement,Based partially on that i ended up buying a 2004 galant earlier this year, not as brand loyalist but Mitsubishi Motors problems are not in the quality of there product, But many very bad business decesions. I am hardly a marketing business person by any means. but mitsu isnt going anywhere so stop being paranoid, Mitsu has always had the potential to have strong steady sales in north am. but bad business decesiions held back well made product.
    is 04 last year for diamante? i was looking on mitsus lot on sunda and they only had 1 diamante and ao the winshield it said up to 5,000 rebate, if so that really is a great deal, they only had 1 on the lot. makes mw wish instead of my '04 galant coulda waited and got a diamante for a couple grand more if im right. but i know they'd really take me considering my galant already has 16k+ miles, do you think i should stick to my galant or try for the diamante im sitting pretty hi on interest % on my galant (not so hot credit score) i personally know MMNA has really tightened up credit on giving low interest no money down loans..and i made a sizeable down payment... I am guesing they will low-ball my galant on a trade. any opinions? thanks sean
    You will take a beating if you try to trade your Galant. Plus, the Diamante is riding on a 8 year old platform while your Galant is a fresh redesign. Your Galant is probably safer, with a more modern driving dynamic and interior. If you really think you would rather have the Diamante then give it a shot but be prepared.
    ya, i fugured that my 04 galant would take a beating on a trade but with the 5 grand rebate on diamante that would be cool, Ireally like my galant, DOes anybody know if the diamante is axed after '04?. I always thought the diamante was a great looking bmw-ish with its smooth flowing & tailored lines. even more so the previous generation, anybody know anything about the new Eclipse? I heard its going to be based on the galant underside, if so looks like the galant,eclipe,endevour will ride on same platform, Is this part of mitsu trying to streamline?. I think Daimler as far as business practice goes, kinda shady, reallyseems like they used Mitsu for there own intentions, and when they need there help they wont provide it, I hope mitsu stock goes up in the coming years and daimler begs for a larger control %. and mitsu is strong enough to say "sit and spin on this :) I could have just as easily gotten an borcord or cam-o-boring, but choose galant, I tend to be a person who regrets after the fact, but im happy i got my galant, when i see an acord or camry, Its like wow another camcord,come on.I know honda and toyota build great, but in my opinion people who drive the new camry and accord have no imajination, kind of stuffy and typical. Like there cars are flawless, toyota 2.4l '97-2001 major engine defect, honda acoord tranny's.
    its just that when hond or toyo has a problem its not there fault, but if a mitsu or something similar has a problem they are suddenly un-dependable poorly made. to my knowledge thru alot of searches before i bought, Mitsu galant in particulars dint have the # of major failures that a few other brands had. its just mitsu not standing behind you that can make all the diff in the world,Bad business decisions, not there vehicles. later sean
    "but in my opinion people who drive the new camry and accord have no imajination, kind of stuffy and typical"

As an Accord driver I beg to differ on that one.

The Diamante will not be made for the 05 model year. If you really like the Diamante you would probably be better served getting a pre-owned. Unless you can get the new Diamante for $20.000 or less buying a new one would be a bad financial decision considering the resale value these currently have. Hypotheticallyy speaking, if you buy the 04 Diamante and are $5000 upside down in your Galant you would immediately be $10,000 upside down once you bought the Diamante.
    just my opinion, i had an accord the cool generation with the flip-up lights, I would say back then '88 accord EX has personality,in fact it was a coupe and to this day I think that EX coupe as one sweet ride, ore original design, just seems like honda has taken a real stodgy directin in styling.but than again seems like most care companies have, they all look so similar to me, galant in my opinion was the furthest i could get away from them while driving a new [non-permissible content removed]-american car.I apologize, just my opinion, and god knows we all have one :)
              after thinking about it they can keep there diamante, nice ride, but my galant has already taken a hit in '04. I guess if you buy a new mitsu right now, you may as well drive it for 5+ years ,then after depreciation wont really matter. what do you think of the current Altima? later, sean
    I made a 4,000 down pay on my galant to try to lower interest rate it sits around 16% now, which to me is still kinda of hi even with a not so perfect credit score.with tax and all fees i paid 20,540 for my galant in nov '03. seems I will be paying 3 grand plus in interest alone, I needed a car quick and mitsu appro ved me, now i see they got me on interest, while a buddy of mine got 5% interest on a new grand-am with hardky any money down, with worst credit than mine. Mitsu is sure trying to get away from low to no interest.
    The Altima is OK. Doesn't really do anything for me. Interior is a huge turn-off even though the styling is OK. We took a look at the new SE-R (260HP, 6-speed, 18" wheels) but for $30,000 we would rather have a Titan or a Acura TL.

If you financed $20,400 for 5 years at 16% your total interest paid will be $9000+. That also means your payoff is not that much less than your original finance amount because most of your first payments go to interest. Carmax.com has several 04 Galant ES's that are priced at $14,900. Your best bet is to keep driving the Galant for a while but try to refinance it within the first year or so before the loan value drops too low. Since it's a 2004 some credit unions would still give you a new car rate.
  • ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    My '98 Diamante ES was recently totaled at 97,000 miles and I chose to replace it with an '05 Honda Accord. I liked my Diamante but it was more expensive to own than I realized it would be when I bought it. Despite a $7,300 discount at purchase, and an insurance settlement $2,500 higher than trade-in value at the end of the car's life, my Diamante still cost me a total of $37,200 to own for six years ($0.38/mile). A more typical owner would have spent closer to $47,000 over six years (or $0.49/mile).

Major issues; a ridiculous transmission that seldom did what I wanted, when I wanted it. Also, I had several problems with failed engine seals causing various oil leaks (see below).

The Diamante's 3.5 liter V-6 is known to wear out front crankshaft seals at around 55,000 miles. Knowing this in advance, I got mine fixed under the 5/60 powertrain warranty and paid $144 to have all my belts replaced (including the cam timing belt which is expensive if done separately).

The accessory belt idler pulley failed two different times causing a growling noise off-idle. The first time, it was replaced under warranty at 19,158 miles. Unexpectedly, both camshaft oil seals failed and had to be replaced under warranty at 41,961 miles. I replaced the front brake pads four times, the front rotors twice, and finally the front calipers at 82,575 miles. Additionally, I had to replace a front wheel bearing at 92,871 miles.

I suffered for a couple of years with a squeaky ventilation blower until I finally took it out to see what the problem was. Taking the motor completely apart, I found that lubrication pads and grease cups were all BONE dry. Thanks Mitsubishi! I added a small amount of lubrication and the fan squeak finally went away (should have fixed that one sooner).

That was my third and last Mitsubishi auto. My impression over the years is that Mitsubishi doesn't have good relations with it's dealers and that Mitsubishi dealers, in turn, often don't do right by their customers. With 2004 U.S. sales running 35% below the bad sales numbers from last year, the dealership picture isn't getting any brighter. Factor in breathtaking parts prices (and as a consequence higher than average insurance rates) and it's hard to see the value and wisdom today in buying any new Mitsubishi product in my opinion. Obviously, your personal experience and opinion may differ.
  • flipexedflipexed Member Posts: 5
    I can't believe my luck! My friend hooked me up with a nurse she works with that is selling her 1997 Diamante LS with 82k miles for $4,900, I'm going to offer her $4,000. I hope she takes it.

She is the only owner and the sole reason she's selling it is because she's in the military and has orders to Germany this Jan, and its really expensive to get parts for foreign cars over there.

I've test driven it for about an hour with a mechanic friend of mine who gave me his blessing to purchase it. There were no funny brake sounds, brake job 4 months ago. The interior/exterior is immaculate except for the broken antennae. And replaced the tires last winter. I'm thoroughly impressed by how this car looks and drives.

But from reading about the problems people have been having on this forum i'm kind of hesitant to jump on this deal. I OH SO want this car to be reliable! It would be a step up from my junky 93 sunbird gt. I originally planned to trade the sundbird in for a used sedan. Plus the car makes my wife jealous of me :) (she has a 2003 hyundai elantra). What do you think guys?

ps the color or the car is champagne
    Sounds like a great car for the money! Hopefully the timing belt and leak-prone front main crank seal were already replaced at about 60,000 miles. The ATF fluid and filter should have been serviced by now too (easy job since it's a spin-on filter).

There are only two really serious issues I'd worry about on the late-model Diamante. First, the fuzzy-logic transmission has some poor learning habits. Like when you're easing through stop-and-go traffic late to work and the "smart" transmission learns that you want to take it easy. Then a gap in traffic opens up, you floor the gas, and the transmission says, "Huh? You're sure? Really? Well, okay then!" and you're left red-faced and swearing while the truck now on your rear bumper beeps and flashes his lights. Been there, done that, many times and I never got used to it because it's random.

The other issue is a higher-than-average reported number of heater-core failures. That's a seriously expensive repair but "higher-than-average" is still probably pretty rare so the actual risk may not be that high.
    I've found out by talking to some of her coworkers and friends that she's a very cautious person (they call her mother teresa) and has taken very good care of her car. I'll do some additional investigating into the car's past when she gets back from vacation on the dec 27th, but i'm sure she's on the up and up. She's taken the car off the market now because her friend recommended me to buy her car. She wants someone nice to take care of her *baby* when she's gone, and i really taken good care of my previous cars. I'm pretty sure her driving habits don't really differ much from mine. I'm the laid back defensive driver type.

I've taken my 1990 ford tempo to 230,000 miles, my wifes 1995 sportage 140,000 miles, and this 1993 pontiac sunbird gt *eyesore is the nick name i give it* now to 130,000 miles all with 5k oil changes and routine manufacturer reccomended servicing. To my surprise no major mechanical failures in each vehicle.

I think i'm sold already but just wanting some good sound advise from you car aficianados. I'm truly stoked to bring in the new year with a new baby in my garage. Oooh did i mentioned the car has those factory 16" chrome rims? Yes i'm drooling right now :)
    I am so ecstatic! I did all the haggling i could, she was pretty much attatched to the thing and would'nt budge any lower than 4,600. It drives like a dream, i like it better than my mothers 03 accord. There is a 1 inch tear in the leather driver seat but thats really no biggie. The power is amazing especially when passing other cars. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary like the brake pulsation that that other people have posted, but i am still going to purchase a torque wrench at sears next weekend just to make sure the lugnuts are at the proper level. My wife absolutely loves it also, she's greener than moldy ham :) The car certainly does not look like it has 80,000 miles on it and i'm fairly certain it will double that.
    Congrats on joining the elite Diamante group. You should enjoy many miles of reliable service from her. The Diamante's main weak point is the front rotors. As long as you try not to let an air wrench touch the car and you make sure the lug nuts are properly torqued, you shouldn't run into this problem. The tranny also needs to be serviced every 30k and you should only use Mitsu tranny fluid to avoid tranny failure. Otherwise, they are reliable long lasting cars.
    That's tongue-in-cheek, right? You're not seriously being self-congratulatory are you?

I drove a '97 Diamante from new up until two months ago and I never felt anything "elite" about owning the only car in North America imported from Australia. It was an okay car, even above average in some respects, but there are many reasons why it was never popular in the USA and why it's discontinued now.
    I've probably seen one 2004 on the road so far. The VR-X looks great and I was sooo close to getting the last new one in my area on Christmas Eve for $20K out-the-door. What a beautiful car but the payment was still too high, timing belt changes are expensive, has iffy warranty and non-existent dealer network, and repairs on the discontinued foreign car could break the budget...

Instead, I got an offer for another AUSTRALIAN-made car, 2004 Pontiac GTO for $22K out-the-door. As good as the offer sounded, I went for the unbelievable $3K two-year lease on it instead.

The best deal of the decade:

http://www.cracovian.com/flight/gto.htm
    I meant elite as in unique. Diamantes aren't seen around every corner like most other sedans. It's a relatively rare car and thus makes you feel a bit special.
    That uniqueness is one of the main things that attracted me to the Diamante originally. At the time, I didn't want to see myself coming and going at every intersection as with a Camry or Accord which in 1998 seemed very bland in comparison.

However, six years of uniqueness had it's downsides. Searching for tips, information, service bulletins, aftermarket parts, discounted new parts, used OEM parts, whatever - there's just not much out there for the Diamante. After the Diamante, I swore I'd never buy a unique car again.

I dare you to visit a Honda dealer for a hassle-free test drive of an EX-V6 Accord. In fact, I double-dare ya. 8-)
    There are plenty of discount parts available for the Diamante at http://www.parts.com/index.cfm?action=subCategories&categoryI- D=1&subCategoryID=24

Mr. Vivona
    I will agree that owning a unique car can make finding reasonably priced parts harder and it makes these forums very boring since there are so few owners that might stop by and post their experiences. That being said, I still would choose exclusivity over a boring bland everyone owns one car like the Accord. I would have no problem test driving an Accord but I would happily hand the keys back to the salesman at the end. There is just no excitement in owning an Accord.

But maybe I'm just weird in my interest in rare cars. I also own an 84 VW Rabbit GTI (only made 2 years and very few are left due to rust, accidents, etc), a 1990 Mazda RX7 convertible (only about 5000 were made a year between 1988-1991 and of course the very unique rotary engine), and recently bought a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback Ralliart (the 2nd rarest Mitsu model ever made. Total sales has only been 2051 models through November and 2004 was the only model year for the Sportback wagon).
  • rcb1rcb1 Member Posts: 2
    Your lucky that you stayed away from the Mitsu I have a 2003 Diamante LS and it has been nothing but a problem. Was going to buy a used BMW with under 10K for about the same price but I was suckered by the $6,000.00 rebate on the Mitsu. That would have made this car great if not for the brakes going out every 3K service eng light also goes on for a new reason every time about every six months. And the trans in this car can be dangerous. Every time you hit the gas to get on a highway the car has to think about it for 2-3 seconds. If it wasn't for the horrible resale value I would dump this thing in a heart beat. By the way how do you like the GTO? I saw one and loved the interior but the exterior didn't really impress me.
    Wait...you paid $4k over MSRP for a "collectable" Mustang, spent a year and a half in lemon court fighting Ford, and then bought a Diamante on the rebound? And you've expressed at least a passing interest in the only other car in North America besides the now departed Diamante to be imported from Australia - the Pontiac GTO (made by GM subsidiary Holden as the Monaro).

Raise your left hand, put your right hand over your heart and swear that the next time you spend twenty or thirty grand that you'll research it first. The Diamante's transmission hesitation and poor resale value aren't exactly secrets.

Anyway, you've piqued my curiosity - what car are you thinking about buying next time?
    It's funny you mention the tranny hesitation. I've noticed it a few times when asking for full throttle while already going 40 mph or so. It just hates to downshift in these circumstances. At least its a smooth tranny.

My Lancer Ralliart on the other hand has the most responsive automatic I've ever driven. It downshifts immediately at the slightest touch of the throttle. I guess they learned their lesson from all the complaints on the Diamante's auto. Too bad they didn't incorporate the changes on later Diamantes.
  • ccancioccancio Member Posts: 91
    "Was going to buy a used BMW with under 10K for about the same price but I was suckered by the $6,000.00 rebate on the Mitsu..."

I cannot comment on the 2004 models but all the earlier models you'd get just as many problems on a BMW... My family and workmates funny enough have the same problems and complaints.

Electrical and brakes etc... (mostly electrical though) and maintenance isn't cheap...

Also have you heard of the engine recall on all the V8 engines for the 1992-1995 5 Series because of the loss of compression?

My point every car now has their problems...

The only thing you get extra buying the BMW is the "snob" appeal and a lighter wallet...

There's the BMW Problems & Solutions board and you'll see that they have their own with their own set of angry owners...why don't you lurk there?
    What used to really freak me out on the Diamante is when I'd start to gas, brake for a second, and then have to get back on the gas. Several times doing this I got a loud BANG noise and an impact like I'd just been hit by another car. My guess is that the transmission got caught for a split second in two different gears at once and then popped itself loose. Whatever, a huge bang CAN NOT be a good thing for the transmission. Yikes.

Interestingly, the Toyota and Lexus boards are now loaded with complaints about similar transmission hesitation issues on a variety of models. No such problem with Honda that I'm aware of - my V6 Accord is awesome. 8-)