Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• Options
    mkcmkc Member Posts: 20
    Since random problems are rarely worth trying to get a shop to figure out, I thought I'd throw this one out to the group.

My 93D, 140K miles, has started making an occasional, random weird noise. It sounds like a loud bang or "thwop", for want of a better term. The first time I heard it, I'd just tanked up with gas and was accelerating (with a/c on) to highway speed. Scared the you-know-what out of me. I thought something of significance had popped. I looked in the rearview, nothing bouncing in the road (like a bottle I could have run over), no smoke, no fluids. There was no change in drivability or instrument readings.

The second time I heard it, I was cruising at highway speed, a/c off. Again, no driveability or instrument issues.

The third (and last time so far) that I've heard it, I had just started the car after being parked for about 5 minutes, put it into reverse, started to back up, and "thwop". A/C off, no driveability or instrument issues.

The sound almost reverberates as if my ears are popping. It's like something is experiencing a sudden, large pressure change, either due to explosion or implosion.

Any thoughts? Psychiatric help, perhaps ;-) ?

Thanks!

Michelle
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    this wkd in the 2001 D.

26 mpg 1st leg......28 mpg second leg.

No other issues. Quiet, solid. Could use more passing power (being picky, I also have a V8 Taurus that kicks it above 75mph). Engine always well mannered and composed.
  • Options
    flack598flack598 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '98 diamante. I love it, but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a small problem. When i take off from a dead start i notice a noise that could be coming from the front axle or the engine, it sounds like vibrating or a little valve chatter. I've always put supreme unleaded fuel in it, but the problem still persists. Also, it only goes on for a second or two, just until i get up to around 5 mph. The harder i hit the gas, the less noise it makes. I'm completely baffled, i would just like some input before I take to the dealer so i don't get railroaded.
  • Options
    avm00avm00 Member Posts: 8
    Hey folks... just purchased a '95 LS pearl white with 99k miles... car seems to run like new and looks great.. this is our first luxury car and I think we're going to be spoiled!

A couple of questions after reading the owner's manual -
    premium fuel (91 octane) is this what everyone uses? I have always used the midgrade(89) is this sufficent?

oil - manual suggests 5/30 weight.. although I've seen receipts for 10/40 and 10/30 in the glove box. Any comments on the best weight for the southern region?

Thanks
  • Options
    Matt... I too hear a little noise taking off from a dead stop. Doesn't sound like it's comming from the axle. It could be valve chatter but not really what I thought. Sounds more like an slight exhaust leak. Of course I didn't hear it while test driving! First noticed when going thru a fastfood drive thru.... the noise bounce/vibrated off the walls. I don't hear it at all unless the sound has something to bounce off of(garage, wall). Like you stated it seems to stop after about 5mph. Also, If I try real hard to start slowly enough I don't hear it. Anyone with some suggestions?
  • Options
    7 months with my wifes 2001 Diamante ES....its up over 22,000 miles now. Consistent 25 mpg. No issues whatsoever. She loves the car. Was a great deal. Seems reliable.

Highly recommended.
  • Options
    I've burned 92 or 93 octane in my '93 D since I bought it with 17K on it (now has 142K), except for an occasional fill-up (very rare, maybe twice since I've owned it and only in an emergency) with 89.

Systems today are designed to compensate for lower octane (usually via the knock sensor, which will detect the knocking caused by too low of an octane and the control electronics will then alter the air-fuel mix). This compensation will reduce power and fuel economy in order to prevent knocking (which is why higher octane is recommended). If you're trying to save $ by using mid-grade, the general consensus on other Edmunds townhall listings is that the decreased fuel economy more than offsets the additional cost of burning premium and you'll actually cost yourself more $ in the long run.

I stick with premium.

Michelle
  • Options
    Thanks for the info... guess I'll switch to the premium I want/need a long life on this car.

What about oil? the manual suggested 5/30.. what do you recommend?

Also, any suggestions or issues you've run into during the 120K you have owned the car I should know?
  • Options
    slkenneyslkenney Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone has done anything to improve the performance of the 2000 Diamante and where to buy the equipment. I am mainly interested in add-ons/replacements and at this point do not want to dig into the block/heads.

I think that I have the pulsating rotors and the A/C system all fixed.

I am now wanting more torque (60-70 lbs-ft) and horsepower (60-70). Of course, a six speed trans would be nice too.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    maydmayd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 LS with 115k miles. The factory windshield lasted 7 years before I replaced it due to a crack near the base. Since then, 3 replacement windshields have cracked around the point at which the rearview mirror attaches to the windshield. The last one only lasted 2 weeks before it started cracking. I've even switched to different glass installers in case it was something specific to the installation. I have the original rearview mirror and hang nothing from it, but it seems like the weight of the mirror puts enough stress on the glass at the point of contact to cause cracking. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    140K plus miles - you get there with good maintenance. My father taught me young - he ran all his cars at least 150K and rarely had any major repairs. Oil changes every 3K (will have to check on the weight; my dealer always does the changes for me but it's on my receipts). Coolant flush/fill every 2 years. Tune up with plugs and wires and an EFI cleaning/service every 50K. Replaced all belts and hoses at 100K. I follow the recommended service schedule for everything.

Aside from the front rotor warping which many D owners have experienced, I've had one knock sensor fail, the ICM (idle air control motor) fail, and a coolant leak that was a failed gasket at a sealing surface on the manifold. Oh, and I'm in need of my 3rd set of front struts.

Suggestions - if you don't know the maintentance history of the vehicle, assume the worst and get the fluids, belts, hoses, plugs, wires, and filters changed out as well as a fuel-injector cleaning. Oh, and don't expect to find another car you like as much as your older-style D ;-) I have yet to drive anything that doesn't seem like a lesser vehicle in at least one area.

Happy motoring!

Michelle
  • Options
    homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    I have read some of edmunds reviews on this vehicle and they said that it wasn't worth looking at. They said that the quality was bad and the tranny was indecisive. Well, I read some other reviews from Kelly blue book; http://www.kbb.com and they rated this vehicle very highly. You see this would be for my daughter and I am just trying to help her out with a decision. What is wrong with this car? It doesn't seem that bad. I saw one at the dealership and the quality of the paint looked good. My daughter and I drove one and the tranny actually held onto the gear shifts longer depending on how long it was revved. I have heard about how the Mitsu transmissions have an "adapted" transmission that adapts to how you drive. It seems that everything was correct and running fine. I didn't see anything wrong with it, so tell me why I shouldn't buy this. What could be stopping me. I mean, the warranty is great; 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 year powertrain, and 7 year corrosion. What could be better?

I just don't see the big problem with this car so if I am overlooking something, FILL ME IN! THANKS!
  • Options
    the edmunds review isn't too keen... although the consumer reivews are excellent.. see also www.carpoint.com

I've only had my D for a week now, '95 LS w/99K, but is still rides extremely smooth/quiet and all switches/buttons/features work like new.

I have a '95 Mitsu Mirage LS purchased new with 166K. Still a great smooth/tight ride. Couldn't be happier... which lead me to the D purchase.

The 'rub' against the D, IMO, is the resale value. I'd look for a 2-3 yr old D at a heavily discounted price. Unless, I was planning to keep it 7,8,9 years then I might consider a new one.

AL
  • Options
    buy the Diamante, you won't regret it.

I don't see how folks can bring up tranny issues.....no problems at all with the shifting on mine.
  • Options
    czibertczibert Member Posts: 38
    "I don't see how folks can bring up tranny issues.....no problems at all with the shifting on mine."

Probably because your car is still a 2001...wait till it's as old as my '93 and you will probably be experiencing rough shifts too.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I think the reason why Mitsu's adaptive tranny is slammed by the press is because it was tested by multiple drivers in a short time span. The computer needs time to adjust to each individual's driving style. When it isn't given this adjusting time, it tends to act a little sporadic and indecisive. I have experienced this in my 02 Lancer, which uses the same INVECS2 adaptive tranny. When my partner drives the car all week and then I get in and drive it, it initially makes a few clunky shifts and seems to ponder over when it should shift. After driving it for awhile, it goes back to shifting decisively and as smooth as butter. I tend to drive less aggressively then my partner, so I think that's where the indecisive shifting comes from. It's used to one type of driving style and is confused when it suddenly changes. Anyway, its not really a problem per say, just how the tranny operates. Other then this idiosyncrasy, its a very smooth shifting tranny.
  • Options
    homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    I think that Ingtongue18's theory might be correct. After reading his response, I scheduled a test drive again of the Diamante at the same Mitsu dealer where I did the first test with my daughter. First, I drove the Diamante fast, nearly revving it to the red line. Then as I stopped for gas with the sales rep. and friend I asked him to drive it back to the dealership. I noticed some jerky tranny shifts. There was one shift where he had to slow down abruptly and I noticed that the gears were jerking the car. So I am nearly convinced that the computer was to blame. But surely, after a while of getting used to the "new" driver, the computer shifted according to his "less speedy" accelerations.

The tranny seems like a good one, however. There is only one question that I have posted a million times and I never seem to get a great answer. Does Mitsu being japanese and all, like Toyota and Honda, mean that the reliability is going to be good? The warranty is pretty good and it is better than both Toyota and Honda in a few accounts. Just wanted to know. This greatly affects my decision. Thanks for the responses!
  • Options
    another weekend trip in the D. SHIFTS FINE. Seems to kick down quicker than when we got the car....my wife is an aggressive driver...she drives it 90% of the time...tranny must have adjusted to her style. Now I wish it had more engine power. Another 50hp would be cool.

Service Engine Soon light came on......any of you out there care to chime in and fashion a guess at what it might be?
  • Options
    I gave you some info on my experience with mitsu in msg# 713. Also, check this link for the diamante realibility from 1992-current, for each year data is available it received 5of5 stars.

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/usedoverview.aspx?make=Mitsubishi&model=Diamante

If the cost of repairs is of great concern, purchase an extended warranty for coverage up to 100k.

• Options
    ccancioccancio Member Posts: 91
    Had mine come on at around 20K miles

...reason Oxygen sensor had to be replaced under the warranty.

The other reason they might give you is that you didn't tighten the gas cap enough after filling with gas.

-C-
  • Options
    light is off now, for some reason.

Will keep an eye on it in future.
  • Options
    My check engine light came on intermittently for about two days and went off again and I haven't seen it since....

As far as reliability goes, the D is an excellent car. 150K miles here and excellent running order. Still sounds new when I start it every morning...

Chris
  • Options
    I'm missing the keyless remote for the '95 D LS just purchased... I found a couple on ebay and was wondering if anyone could provide instructions on programming or if they are compatible.

These are the part numbers given in the description -

FCC ID: E4EG8DE - OMRON G8D-401M-A1

FCC ID: E4EG8D-522M-A, OMRON G8D-522M-A
  • Options
    I would just ask your local dealer, they are the experts at tech things like that...
  • Options
    starting to see more of them at dealers.

Local dealer was asking full list plus an extra couple of grand for custom wheel package.

Spoiler is ugly, very ricer. Interior decor is excellent. White face gauges, silver dash and console panels, black/charcoal leather on seats and door. Chrome door handles. MMMMMM...tasty....now how bouts an in dash MP3/and DVD system?

Even my wife, who doesn't generally notice differences, even thought there was a very quantifiable upgrade factor in the interior over her 2001 ES base. Normally she would say "I like my car as it is" but I think she liked the VR-x package. But since I paid half for her ES vs. what the dealer wanted for the VR-x I think we'll wait for now.

Its too bad they didn't pump up the motor to 250hp or something to go with the new look. Kinda all show and no go. How are you supposed to keep up with the Maxima and its 255hp?
  • Options
    rattlecagerattlecage Member Posts: 32
    I have a 92 D and love it, but could someone who owns one read this and see if they have any advice:

1.The factory alarm system seems to go off all the time, I want to disable it, is there any way?

2.The doors are always locking on me, I like keeping my doors unlocked, any way to turn that automatic lock feature off?

3. I can't read the oil dipstick! Its flat, and one side reads full and the other side reads empty. Any ideas? My car appears to use a little oil, but I am not sure!

4. The front head rests seem to set too far forward, especially for shorter people, like my kids. I cant figure out how to adust them.

Aside from those items, What a great car so far!
  • Options
    I have a 92 D and love it, but could someone who owns one read this and see if they have any advice:

1.The factory alarm system seems to go off all the time, I want to disable it, is there any way?

2.The doors are always locking on me, I like keeping my doors unlocked, any way to turn that automatic lock feature off?

3. I can't read the oil dipstick! Its flat, and one side reads full and the other side reads empty. Any ideas? My car appears to use a little oil, but I am not sure!

4. The front head rests seem to set too far forward, especially for shorter people, like my kids. I cant figure out how to adust them.

Aside from those items, What a great car so far!
  • Options
    1. I have a similar problem....not sure how to disable the system.

2. Don't think you can turn this feature off; the doors lock automatically at 12mph.

3. I can't read mine either, I think it is just poorly designed.

4. You push all the way forward on the headrest and it will release and go to the further back position. It then moves slightly forward through a series of clicking notches that you set by pushing the headreast forward. This isn't a very good exlanation. Go play with it out in your car and it will make more sense.
  • Options
    FYI: Mitsu has just updated the D webpage @ their site to reflect a section on the VR-X
  • Options
    Thanks Czi That helped, I'm glad I'm not the only one that sets the alarm off. Even when I keep the doors unlocked it will arm ... sometimes (seems random). Have you seen any pattern to how it decides to arm?

Also, how do you read your oil level, do you just look for full on one side of the dipstick?

I just unloaded a 95 S-Class Mercedes (that was nothing but problems), and bought this because I didnt have to go into debt ( 3750 with 80k miles)

At first I didnt care for the cloth seats and the wierd grey brown color choices inside, I fell in love with the cars new road feel, it symbolizes everything that is great about Japanese auto makers, who seem to be able to get 90% of the driving quality of Euro cars, with none of the Euro reliability problems. I miss the shroud of silent luxury of the Benz, but it aint worth the maintenance costs. Anything I should look out for on the maintenance end at 85k miles?
  • Options
    jsa1jsa1 Member Posts: 1
    Have blown a speaker on the right passenger side.
    I have tried to take the speaker cover off. It
    partially comes off but don't want to yank it without bustin something..Can anyone give me a hint on what to do???/?

Thanks
  • Options
    Well at the risk of sounding like an idiot, it turns out my car has always been low on oil since I bought it, and after putting 2 more quarts in, I can read the dip stick a bit easier :P

thanks anyways.

Hey what years did the Diamante have a "complete redesign"? I look at late model Diamantes and still see lots of similarities, was just curious what years it had major redesigns, and what years were incremental?
  • Options
    97?
  • Options
    The Diamante was first introduced in Japan in 1991 where it won Car of the Year.

It hit US shores with much less fanfare in 1992. It came in Base and "LS" trim. In 1993 some features were changed and added and the base model was renamed "ES." In 1994 the D gained dual airbags and the rear end was mildy restyled. In 1995 the "ES" was dropped leaving only the highend "LS." In 1996 the D was only available for fleet purchase (like car rental places).

In 1997 it was reintroduced to the public as a completely redesigned model. From 97-01 the only major changes were in the option packages and the alloy wheels. In 2002 the front and rear were restyled, but the car remains the same machine introduced in 1997. A 3rd generation model is due in the next couple years if you read the internet gossip. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    Which passenger side speaker are you trying to get to? There is one in the rear package shelf, one in the door, a tweeter in the A-pillar and most likely a mid-range unit in the top of the dash facing upwards.

Mr. Vivona
  • Options
    Thanks Czi that helps explain things. I had a need to get across town (the San Fernando valley) in 12 minutes last night, to make it to a store that was about to close. My client, who has a new porsche, and I decided to take the D!

We both got in, and I turned on some tunage and we hauled butt down the surface streets. Made it in plenty of time, the D handled the fast lane changes and quick turns like a fine automobile should :)
  • Options
    naveedknaveedk Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a used Diamante with 64K on it. Can someone answer few of my questions: I found few problems with it:
    1. Check Engine light comes and goes. If its O2 sensor, how much is the repair cost? Could it be any thing else?
    2. Getting around 17mpg (I think its low??)
    3. Does any one know how to get hands on service manual (cheap one). Asked dealer and he is asking for over $100.
    4. How much Freon (psi) it takes. I like to do it myself but without knowing how much should I put in is really dangerous.
    5. Previous owner recently changed the Timing belt before he sold me the car but pick-up from idle is very poor. What should I do?

I would appreciate if someone experienced can help me out with above concerns.
  • Options
    mcaparsomcaparso Member Posts: 7
    Hello to all...
    Looking to buy a 2001 D. Just curious, but do any of the 2001 cars exhibit the brake pulsation flaw seen in the earlier models?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    my 2001 had a slight pulse in the brakes for a couple thousand miles but they went away....but i have never had the tires rotated yet and i am unsure if Avis (original owner) did. I would guess that as soon as a mechanic and his super air wrench get a hold of it, I'm in trouble.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'll try to answer your questions.

1. The check engine light can be set off by more than just the O2 sensors, though that is a common problem on higher mileage cars. If your car is idling rough or the timing is off (as mentioned later on as a possibility), that could set off the light, as could a bad mass airflow meter or loose or cracked gas cap. Only thing to do is have the computer checked for saved fault codes.

2. My 93 D ES often got 17-18 mpg in city/suburban driving. On the highway, it improved to 23. Overall, I would rate the engine a little on the inefficient side.

3. Ask Vivona in this forum . He knew a website where you could get the OE service manual for around $80.

4. Can't tell you an exact number but most AC systems take about 3 pounds worth of freon.

5. The timing could be set wrong. Or the distributor cap is cracked (a very common problem on these cars). A cracked distributor cap will cause poor mileage and poor performance. It also causes the car to buck and sputter when accelerating. How long ago was the cap, rotor, and plugs changed?
  • Options
    naveedknaveedk Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I bought the Diamante about few weeks ago and the previous owner mentioned that she recently changed the plugs but don't know about the cap/rotor. But I will have it computer checked to eliminate guess work. Is it easy to check the Timing belt's alignment without tearing the whole thing apart? I am pretty sure the rough idle will be because of the timing not set properly.
    But Thanks again for the answers.

Vivona, if you read this, can you let me know where can I find service manual for 95 Diamante LS?
  • Options
    naveedk -- You can get a basic Chiltons service manual for less than $20 at http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=30577998&loc=106

The factory service manual is for more specific and comprehensive, and well worth the $100 if you do your own repairs. To buy it at wholesale, try http://www.magauto.com/mitsubishi.htm

Mr. Vivona

• Options
    mcaparso -- You can read all you ever wanted to know about brake pulsation at http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article2.htm

I have two Diamantes, a 1999 with 29,000 miles and a 2002 with 5,000 miles and neither has ever had a problem with brake pulsation. Same goes for a friend that had two, a 1992 that she traded at 75,000 miles and the current 2000 model she has with 20,000 miles. The tales of brake pulsation you read here in Edmunds is limited to a few owners. I would rely more on the national survey at Carpoint that shows the Diamante to have an excellent reliability record, including brakes. See it at:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/usedoverview.aspx?make=Mitsubishi&model=Diamante

Mr. Vivona

Mr. Vivona

• Options
    Hello to all...

The 2001 D I was looking at was also an AVIS rental car. IT has 18k miles on it, and appears to look and run ok. I told the dealer once I found out it was a rental car (Carfax) that i was no longer interested. Regfootball--- any comments about avis or problems with your car?
    Everyone else, any suggetions about buying a rental car?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    bought the car last December (2001 model ES) six months old with 11k miles on it and paid 15,600. There is an Avis sticker on the back side of the gas flap.

Car now has 24-25k miles on it. No problems, there was a short short period of time where the brakes seemed to pulse. also the check engine light was on for a couple days (coulda been the gas cap).

Keep in mind the Diamante has a longer warranty than a typical 3/36 domestic plan. I think its a 5/60 powertrain or something like that.

My wife is thrilled with the car. I like the car too. I can post a link for pics if you'd like!

Wife is p'oed though. Some other car brushed her white bumper and now there are some green paint marks on the nice pearl white paint!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the info. I bought the 2001 D LS with 18k miles for $17k. Hopefully it will last me a long time.

One question, I want to have the oil changed where would you go? The 6k tuneup is $65 at a local mitsu dealer. Would you goto a local dealer or a speed lube place?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    that's good deal! Congrats......got any pictures to post?

I have not had any problems at all with Valvoline Instant Oil Change. Go to www.vioc.com to get coupons for 5 bucks off.
  • Options
    Hello regfootball. I don't have any pictures as of yet. I took the car home today, fueled up with premium fuel and put a few hundred miles on. Car runs great, and feels like a brand new one (compared to my 92 olds cutlass supreme with 172k miles on it). This was only my second car purchase ever, and quite a nice car at that.

The only problem I do have is that I only got 1 primary key. I guess you are supposed to get 2 primary (opens all locks) and one secondary (all locks but trunk and glove). Do you have any expirenece ordering new keys? I was also thinking about not even wasting my time, since the key I have works.

I'm hoping for a few trouble free years with the car, but I was wondering about purchasing an extended bumper to bumper warranty... any advice on that?

Matt
  • Options
    Can someone please post the instructions to remove the dash pieces in order to install the factory in dash changer?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    I only got one regular key and one 'valet key'. they had to order another remote for me as well.