Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    rand18rand18 Member Posts: 2
    why doesn't your site list the Bentley?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Not enough traffic for it. We don't list exotics or rare makes.
  • Options
    castleownercastleowner Member Posts: 42
    I will reconfirm that I have this problem (rotten egg smell) in my 2002 camry LE.

Smell appears inside the vehicle while driving.

Dealer says it is exhaust but this explanation does not seem probable if it smells while accelerating, or if you interrupt acceleration but have not yet stopped, how is the exhaust entering the front passenger compartment?

Dealer blames Ontario dirty gas, but cannot explain why my other vehicles do not have this sulphur smell and I fill them all at the same station.

Why can't Toyota admit their catalytic converters don't work as well as some other manufacturers and leave it at that. I think that is what I read between the lines. ULEV seems pretty meaningless when my 10 year old chevy is less smelly (at least inside).

A final note, some have said Toyota 4speed auto is the best, I take issue with that statement and my opinion is that Toyota auto's are ok, but not spectacular. GM auto's have better driveability. Note: I am not commenting on GM reliability here. My camry auto has this annoying habit of downshifting later than my GM would (given the same situation and power needs). I am not bashing one or the other. I own them both, drive them both, and my comment is my own opinion. There are a lot of things to be said (good/bad) about GM, but that is another topic.

On the upside, camry 4cyl vvti is quite peppy and light and agile.
    Downside is the vehicle is too high (high center of gravity) for aggressive cornering.

Seats: Like many drivers I like to place one arm on the window, but in the camry it is just too high and I am too having seat comfort trouble even with the seat raised to the highest position.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...this topic keeps coming up, and it is worthy of at least a couple of words.

First, it is not 'dirty gas' but excessive sulfur in the fuel, which is usually caused by the source of the crude oil used to refine it in the first place. North Slope [Alaskan] crude is particularly bad in this respect, and apparently there are some Canadian wells that share this characteristic.

Secondly, the sulfur content of the finished fuel product is entirely up to the refiner. They can make it as sulfur-free as they want, based on how much money they want to spend on the technology. Here in CA, there are legislative limits on the amount of the sulfur in both gasoline and diesel. This is even more true in Europe, where there is a mandate to make all motor fuel virtually sulfur-free by the last third of the decade. It is no accident that we pay higher prices for our fuel in CA than the rest of the country does, at least partly because of the demand to keep the amount of sulfur down.

Finally, it is true that Toyota seems to use catalyst technology that makes them more susceptible to this problem than some other makes, but they are by no means alone with this problem. Our '94 Mercedes C was also very much prone to this phenomenon until the new CA RFG formula became universal.

And finally, finally: GM does a few things well, and automatic transmissions are an example of same. Still, when it came time to buy or make one for the new CTS, they BOUGHT...from the Germans [ZF]. No one has a lock on automotive virtue...it's just that you stand a better chance with Honda and Toyota than most everyone else.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "ULEV seems meaningless when my 10 year old chevy is less smelly."
    I don't exactly understand the correlation between odor and emissions. Are you saying that because you intermittently smell rotten egg odor that the car is actually not ULEV?
    curious.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    I too get the rotten egg smell inside my 2002 Camry LE4, but not often. I don't know how the sulfur measures here in Arizona, but of course it is often very hot and always very dry, which may or may not relate to the smell. With nearly 3000 miles on the car, it seems to be much attenuated, so I am hoping it will go away entirely. BTW, I too take another car (a Honda Accord) to the same gas stations with no smell whatever.
    As for the seat, I have posted my experiences in a forum which I started called Driver's seat comfort but will repeat a bit of it here. After several tries with different upholsterers, I had the metal wires across the back and down the sides of the foam removed, which also removed the metal hog rings which attached the fabric to the foam. There was an immediate improvement. Then I had small pieces of foam removed from the side bolsters where they compressed my shoulder blades. I then noticed that the fabric was much too tight, as tight as a drum; that was fixed by sewing in inch-wide strips along the side seams, and then spray-gluing the fabric onto the foam. At this point, my seat is the right shape and, as it is a power seat, can be put in the right position. However, it's still much too hard. An earlier upholsterer tried to add more standard foam to the seat but that made it much, much worse. I am now going to try memory foam, but I will use it as a cushion as I can't do anything more to the seat without replacing the foam yet again, and also the fabric which is now wedded to the foam by glue, which I don't fancy doing. At the same time, I have ordered a cushioned seat from a Florida company. I am hoping one or both of these new fixes will work, as I have already spent a thousand dollars and a ton of time on this project - it's really amazing that Toyota can make such a fine vehicle with such a lousy seat, but I found nothing anywhere near it in price that was any better (most cars were much worse), and even if money were no object I wouldn't know where to begin, for other than the seat, the car has been wonderful: smooth, quiet, stable, responsive, fast enough to merge without difficulty into 75 mph traffic, and makes 28 mpg on regular gas in mixed highway/local driving.
    If my new foam and/or my new seat cushion works, I will post again with information where they can be found. If you find anything that makes your seat more comfortable, please let us know.
  • Options
    bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    actually i never noticed this until saw another thread called door dings prevention. i went to check on my 91 camry, suprisingly, didn't find any. so i was wandering, does the camry you have easily get dent on the sheet metal? though mine probably has thicker sheetmetal than later ones.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm not sure if the OBD computer will reset itself after a few days or not. I know the dealer can reset it but it will cost a few dollars. Try driving it for a few days and see what happens.

Funny story: As with the hosts story, I was a manager at a small Chevy/Toyota dealership when one of my salesmen came to me to inform me of a check engine light on a Tracker. I am not a fan of those vehicles and thought I had received a defective car from the factory. I pitched a fit to the service guys and told them to fix this piece of junk so I could sell it. A half hour and $60 later, they came to me to inform me that my lot attendant needed to be more vigilant when filling up the inventory.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    We just negotiated and placed a deposit on a new Camry, a base LE with a few toys...The cost is $19,700. My wife wanted me to get a lease price but after all I went thru to have the car located and at the price we wanted and then introduced my trade...well I'm just happy to be owning the car at this point.

I was wondering though, any of you sales folks out there, since I have always heard you should negotiate the price down to a sales price before working the lease numbers (?)what do you think I could have leased this 4 cylinder auto Camry ($19,700) for over 36 months and with how much down....just curious.
  • Options
    mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    I will finally be picking up my preference requested 4 cyl. XLE next week and had 2 questions I was hoping you would be able to answer for me.
    What is a fair price to pay for the 72 month 100,000 mile 0 deductible warranty?
    Also what is a fair interest rate based on 20%down 48 month loan and excellent credit?
    Thanking you in advance for your response.
    Mimi919
  • Options
    The warranty question is easy but the finance one is not. The Toyota Platinum warranty (and don't buy anything but a genuine Toyota warranty) has a retail price of $1300 for $0 deductible 6/100 or $1425 for 7/100. A good price would be $1030 and $1170 respectively. You may be able to shave a couple more bucks off that, but not much.

As to interest rate, it depends on far more factors than you may realize. There are people in this world with "great" credit who have a low beacon score due to the type of credit that it is. Combine that with the fact that many dealers use a variety of banks, and quoting a rate here would be unwise. I suggest checking with your own bank or credit union and then see what the dealer offers. If he offers more than what you can get, tell him and see if he can't find another lender to match or beat it.
  • Options
    I would like to thank you for your informative reply to my question and also wanted to let you know how helpful you have been to me as I am sure many others in this site.
    I feel that with the information that Edmunds supplies here with the TMV price along with the friendly help from people like you with the finance end of the transaction it enables both the selling dealer along with the buyer to end up with an agreed upon fair price for both parties.
  • Options
    acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
    I am going to be in the market for a new car in late June and have started me research. I thought I decided on a Civic, but then I saw a 2002 Camry SE last week and I fell in love (I am truly scaring myself at this point).

Well I got a Camry brochure and have been looking at Toyotas website. I pretty much have my heart set on the SE 4cyl with 5 spd.

But my question is on the option packages. On the build your own thing on Toyotas website it lists that the only option available is the keyless entry and alloy wheels. If you choose the SE 4spd it shows more options available.

See I want to get the JBL stereo, alloy wheels, keyless entry and ABS. Are these available on the SE 5spd?

Also I noticed while peeking around at local Toyota dealerships that most of their Camry inventory are built over in Japan. Is this usual for the west coast, or are the new Camrys in that high of demand?

Thanks
  • Options
    railroad17railroad17 Member Posts: 18
    Sure enough, the engine light disappeared after a few days. Thanks for the info and for saving me some cash.
  • Options
    Those options are available on the SE 4cyl 5sp, in theory. By selecting the "Build your own" option on Toyota's website, and entering your zip code, you will only be able to equip your car based on popularly equiped models for YOUR REGION ONLY. It may be necessary to "order" the SE equipped as you want it, which may take a long time- but in your case, if you want the car in late June, that might not be a problem. To find out the MSRP, invoice, and possible selling price for your SE, check out CarsDirect.com.... if you are comfortable with online purchasing, you could even get your car through that site. I find the pricing info for new cars here on Edmunds informative, but they don't always list every option- for example, when purchasing our 02 LE, Edmunds's TMV would not allow us to put alloy wheels on the car, b/c they are typically an accessory. CarsDirect has even accessories.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    I intentionally didn't get into the lease details you posted. Even though leases are part of my job in F&I, it is extremely difficult to discuss exact figures. There are a few reasons for this. The first is because of taxes. Some states use the regular sales tax in the lease, while others use a "use tax" or a tax on the monthly payment. Without knowing this and the exact rate, plus the tax and tag figure in your situation, I would be guessing.

The other big problem is the rate that is used. Toyota Financial Services has 4 different rates based upon your beacon score. Many people who have "good" credit can have a low beacon score so without knowing your exact beacon score, I couldn't even start figuring your deal.

The last problem is that I don't know where you live. In the Southeast, Toyota dealers don't use TFS and I wouldn't know their rates. Even if you don't live in the SE, some dealers will use outside banks for leasing. In fact, our dealership will sometimes uses Chase rather than TFS if the deal is better.

The questions you need to ask are more questions for yourself. Begin with "Is leasing a good idea for my situation?" and follow up with things like "are the payments in line?" and such. Examine the lease documents carefully and make sure they are actually selling the car in the lease for the same as they agreed to on a buy. Ask about residuals and money factors. A good money factor for a lease will range between .0028 and .0034 unless there is a good program on your car.

The last thing to do is to make sure the salesman and the F&I guy are willing to answer your questions. If they evade on the answers you are probably in trouble.
  • Options
    Thanks, I do not wish to lease but my wife always asks what it would cost. I was really only looking for a ball park figure on a 36 month lease(not sure why anyone would want to go longer).
  • Options
    In general, with the same down payment, leases will run from 10% to 20% less than a similar 60 month buy.
  • Options
    I guess I fail to see the benefit of paying 80% - 90% the value of the car over 3 years if you can own it in 5 for a little more...unless perhaps you are leasing very high priced cars...
  • Options
    The benefit of a lease is not the lower payments. It is the ability to get new cars more often without overpaying depreciation. Here is an example:

You buy a $20K car today on a 5 year loan. Three years down the road, you decide the car does not meet your needs. You find out that your payoff is still $10K (compounded interest makes this a reality) but the value is only $9K. You owe that difference if you want to get out of the car. Had you leased that same car, your "residual" value may be $10K and that is what you can buy it for, but if it is only worth $9K, you just drop it off without penalty. You don't owe the negative equity.

The advantage of owning new cars is that you avoid some of the more expensive maintenance items such as the muffler, tires, brakes, timing belt and such. You don't own it long enough to need to replace things like that. Combine that with a bit lower payments and a lease starts to make sense.

Leases are NOT for everybody. They are not for the guy who plans on long term ownership. They are not for people who derive satisfaction in not having a car payment. They are not for people who are very low mileage drivers (they don't get full use of the depreciation they are paying for).

They actually can work for high mileage drivers but that is another story and a fairly complicated one.
  • Options
    jluftigjluftig Member Posts: 20
    in the '02 Camry CD player. If you place MP3 files on a CDR you can get 10 hours of music on one CD. It is not perfect, but it works. This is an undocumented feature. Enjoy !

I work in the audio biz, and realize Toyota may not even be aware that there stereo manufacturer has this feature on the CD players.
  • Options
    hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    Did you do this using the JBL system? What did you mean when you said "it's not perfect, but it works"? Is the sound quality distorted? Please explain.
  • Options
    broker2broker2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchase Toyota genuine parts from

Toyota parts -Wholesale: http://www.toyota-parts.com ?

Is this online store good or bad?
  • Options
    I too would be very interested in hearing a bit more about the MP3 capabilities. Was this in the standard stereo or in the JBL or a model with the navigation system?
  • Options
    luftig1luftig1 Member Posts: 23
    What I mean by not perfect is that it does not display the track number beyond (22 tracks I think) That said, you can still go to the next song. Also, unlike stereos designed around MP3, it does not show the title. Still, it is a great freebee and you can have 10hrs of music on one disk. Thanks JBL !
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Yes, several times. All of my 120,000 mile belts, water pump etc. from them. Considerably less expensive then local dealer retail and all genuine OEM. Some local dealers will sell to you at wholesale, mine won't (stupid arrogance, they would still make a profit) . Very knowledgeable people in MI when you speak to them and the shipping, on most things, (maybe not a single filter etc) but major parts, is much less expensive then sales tax etc. They seem to know the conversion of metric and especially good when car built in Japan, local dealer, Greek to them.

Highly recommend them
  • Options
    nathan9nathan9 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned the camry for the past five years. Its a four cylinder LE model. Excellent Reliability. Smooth Ride. Everything that you would expect in a family sedan, but here are the problems that I had in the past (starting with a very unpleasant buying experience)

- changed my rear bumper four times spending around $500 at every incident. (as it is very flimsy and you can dent it with your own hands. I guess it is one of the cost cutting measures. Even Lexuses have similar cheap bumpers). Rear bumper sensors are a must.

- Plenty of door dinges (thin metal is used as compared to earlier models)

- Not enough pick up or power (disappointing after paying 24K for the car)

- Lousy original tires (did not last for more than at 30K miles)

- Always has sime kinda of bad smell, despite being clean with clean air filters and with air freshners.

- Lastly, it is a well maintained car. Expensive regular maintainence. Dealers suck your money right through (I had given the car to dealers all the way from Chicago to Texas)

One thing is for sure, I will never buy another TOYOTA because of their attitude. (Most of my friends who own lexus share the same feeling, these days)
  • Options
    has been addressed for the 4cylinder model in 2002.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Ten years ago it was much more difficult to find an independent mechanic to work on Japanase cars, other then oil changes etc. When my first timing belt needed changing on my V6 my independent would not touch it. Last year (at 120,000) he did the whole ball of wax with OEM parts I purchased wholesale via the internet. Times have changed and dealers are not the only option for Toyota maintenance anymore.

I concur though, Toyota dealers do have an arrogance. Not quite as bad as BMW or Lexus but getting there. Now we know (via the sludge) they have nothing to be arrogant about.
  • Options
    I went to my Toyota dealer yesterday to pick up my ordered Camry XLE and because of a couple of concerns I had with the drivers seat I ended up buying the Solara SLE instead and I have to say that I think the Solara is the most comfortable and fun to drive car I have ever owned.
    I will miss all the friendly posters in here and just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with their beautiful Camry's.
    Well,off to the Solara forum now..
    Mimi
  • Options
    tlindemantlindeman Member Posts: 16
    Well, with the new job offer I'm planning on getting rid of my 2001 Civic LX 5 spd. Too much hassle shifting in city traffic (while drinking coffee, smoking and talking on the cell phone...can you say "distracted driver"?) I'm pretty much decided on the Accord or Camry. I have driven both (4 cyls., I don't need the V6 and want the mileage) and am a little torn. The Accord drives a little nicer (typical Honda "feel for the road") but the Camry is roomier and quieter. Both cars have their advantages and price is a wash. I know that the new Accord is coming out in the fall and am tempted to wait as it will be all-new but don't think I could go wrong with the new Camry either. How's everyone's experience with the new Camry 4 cyl.? How about gas mileage? I really liked the SE model with it's tauter suspension. Thanks...
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Cliffy, I would be interested in knowing how leasing might benefit someone like myself. I currently have a 1999 camry,exactly 37 months since I purchased it at 4.9%. My mileage is 92,000. I have 11 months to pay on my 4 year loan at $475. Usually the excess mileage charges and 'excess' wear you would pay on a lease far outweigh any benefits. I guess it would depend on how low the lease payments are,plus the cost of the excess miles, and each Lessors definition of excess wear. Heck, some lenders won't even write a lease for more than 20,000 miles per year.
  • Options
    c0kec0ke Member Posts: 44
    and others speak of the smell that we get on occasion from our Camry's.

We just got back from our first trip out on the highway at 4000 OD miles. On four occasions, each time after a burst of passing speed to move around slower traffic, we noticed a "gunpowder-like" smell. I suppose this is the same smell mentioned before.

The smell occurred right after we dropped back to normal driving speed from the previous acceleration. Had to "roll down" the windows to get relief.

How does this odor get into the car from the exhaust system at 55-65 MPH? Is a component in the engine area capable of producing this smell?
  • Options
    fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Quote by c0ke: "Is a component in the engine area capable of producing this smell?"

======================================

I am only taking a wild guess here. But it seems to me the vapor canister could be allowing the fumes to escape into the engine compartment. You could get some back pressure when you suddenly back off the throttle.

Any problem with the emmissions control system falls under a seperate warranty from the rest of the car.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    castleownercastleowner Member Posts: 42
    Yes, I have also found that the sulfur smell occurs when moderate to heavy acceleration is abruptly interrupted.....i.e; passing etc. This is not necessarily when slowing down.

Dealer says it is exhaust feeding back into the cars vents. I do not agree, since it will occur even when you cruise after a heavy acceleration.
  • Options
    My JBL system doesn't play the MP3's. There is no audio. But I would really expect it to unless the unit had an MP3 decoding (or uncompressing) circuit.
  • Options
    clhawkins01clhawkins01 Member Posts: 25
    Maybe there's an issue with different head units. What HU has successfully played MP3s? I have the nav HU, but haven't tried MP3s yet ... my burner is giving me fits.
  • Options
    But I would really expect it to unless the unit had an MP3 decoding (or uncompressing) circuit
  • Options
    bigconkbigconk Member Posts: 4
    OUR 2002 LE 4CYL AT continues to be nauseating to drive. The sulfur smell is definately coming out of the exhaust, and the dealer has finally substantiated our findings. Their response-it will go away in 4 or 5 tanks of gas. We are on tank 5 and it still stinks! When we call Toyota customer service or talk to the dealer service dept they always act as though we are the only one with this complaint. I would encourage all Rotten Egg Camrys to be reported to Toyota Customer Service. Maybe they will then address the problem.
  • Options
    sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    I've had the sulfur smell on a few occasions with our new 2002 XLE. It's usually at a red light, and I'm not sure if I can replicate it or specify the exact accelleration/braking patterns that seem to result in it. Since it frequently happens at the SAME red light in my neighborhood, I assumed it was environmental. But I've been noticing it more often and in more locations lately, so I assume it's the same problem others have mentioned. I look forward to hearing about a resolution; for now it isn't so bad and it goes away as soon as we start driving again, so I can live with it.
  • Options
    sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    I have the JBL 6-CD in-dash changer unit with RDS and TRAF buttons. (No NAV system; the two are not compatible apparently).

Anyway, I just tried a CD with nothing but MP3s on it and did not get any audio. Too bad; I was really hoping.
  • Options
    william00william00 Member Posts: 6
    I special ordered a 2002 SEV6 through carsdirect.com on 3/19/02. After several confusing and frustrating months, they now tell me delivery will most likely be "the third week in August." (Five months! And I hear on Town Hall of customers receiving special orders in 6-8 weeks or 3 months max.)

Does anyone know when the 2003 model goes on sale? Does it make sense to change the order to a 2003 (sounds like a newer car.) Will there be any significant changes for 2003? How about those rumored adjustable pedals? Any feedback or advice will be appreciated.
  • Options
    We have a RAV, I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened...no clicking, no noise...nothing. I immediately turned the again and it started right up. I don't drive the car often so Iassummed that perhaps I did not turn the key far enough the first time. I mentioned this to my wife a few days later and she said this happened to her twice in the last few months. I took the car to Toyota and they tested the battery, hooked it to the computer etc. and found nothing. They said to listen for a clicking which could indicate the starter is going--but we never heard that. The problem has only happened 3 times in 6 - 8 weeks.

Anyone ever have a similar problem or any idea what may be wrong...if anything?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #837 of 837 HELP!!! WEIRD STARTER (?) Problem... by andrelaplume May 15, 2002 (11:22 am)
    3 times in the last 2 months while starting our RAV, you turn the key and nothing happens. Do it a second time and the car starts right up. I took it to Toyota today and they found nothing wrong but suggested that we listen for a clicking sound that might indicate the starter was going. (We never heard any sound).

My wife just called...This just happened again at Blockbuster Video...Car would not start after TWO attempts this time - no clicking or noise or anything. Some dude saw what was happening and said to put the car in nuetral and try to start it...IT WORKED. (Perhaps it was a coincidence - perhaps it would have started if she had turned the key in Park a third time...?) She has since been able to start and restart the car in park. The guy worked for Ford and said their cars have some sort of Safety switch that goes bad...he did not elaborate. We called Toyota back and I guess they told my wife there is such a part but to watch the situation and see if this is consistently the problem.

Again, anyone ever hear of something like this or what it costs to fix...hopefully it is covered under our Extened care Platimum!
  • Options
    downeaster16downeaster16 Member Posts: 14
    Two weeks ago, I bought a new 2002 Camry LE (4-cyl., 5-speed), and so far I am quite pleased with it. It feels solid, quiet, comforatble and everything seems well thought out. Then I noticed that it came with Goodyear Integrity tires. Consumer Reports gave the Integritys a so-so rating in their last tire report (November 2001). My '98 Accord came with Michelins (wonder if Accords still do?). After only two weeks of driving, the Integritys seem adequate, but even in the Camry, they make their presence known when you drive over coarse pavement. I'm not generally an aggressive driver, but I do put on over 20k per year, and I do want a tire that is reasonably quiet and comfortable, and has good traction in rain and light snow (although I may get winter tires next winter - I do live in Maine!).

What has your experience been with these tires, especially in rain and snow? If the Integritys will do an adequate job, I'll probably keep them. But I'd also appreciate any recommendations from anyone who could suggest a better tire for my needs! Thanks!
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I wonder why you went through carsdirect? Southern California is pretty easy to get a fair price on a Toyota Camry. It is times like this when you probably wished you could walk in or call your local Toyota dealer that supports your community and ask them why you are having trouble and what advice they may have for you. I suggest you call carsdirect and see what advice they have for you. Good Luck with your situation.
  • Options
    I think the Integritys are a good tire- at least from their performance (in a smaller version) on our 2002 Corolla (lease). Be happy that you have the Integrity- our 02 Camry (purchase) has quiet but very non grippy Continental tires- which were noted in the Jan 02 Consumer Report test of a Camry LE as lacking grip- I believe the braking distances and handling of this very able car both suffer as consequence. If you decide to upgrade, Michelins, as you mentioned are a great tire, but I'd also recommend the Perelli P400 series, in the size that fits our car - P205/65 R 15.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    cjtscjts Member Posts: 13
    I recently got a V6 LE Camry and it came with Continental Tires. I wish it had better tires. Are there shops that will buy these for a reasonable price?? What resale value should I expect to get?? I can't wait to replace them for good Michelins!!!
  • Options
    gp4gp4 Member Posts: 9
    sounds like the list of problems with the 2002 Camry is getting longer. Does anyone else have the rotten egg smell happening or the rattles and squeaks in the center stack and center arm rest?

Why does the exhuast pipe hang down so low, has anyone found a way of raising it up so it is out of the way?
  • Options
    george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    I had the sulfur smell for a while, from time to time. Now, at 3000 miles, it seems to be gone. I would note that we recently went from ethanol to normal gas in my area, so perhaps that's part of the reason for the improvement.

For the rest, the car has been superb: quiet, smooth (Continental tires), responsive, easily merges into 65 mph traffic and even, nearby, 75 mph. Braking, without ABS, is fine - I don't know what it will be like on wet roads as we are in the midst of the worst drought ever recorded in southern Arizona: .68 inches of rain this year, temperatures already over 100, and humidity in single digits. Also, 28 mpg on 87 octane in mixed highway/local driving. There hasn't been the slightest rattle anywhere - and there were rattles in 3 of the 4 Camrys I tried before the one I bought. The sound system is fine (I was a professional chorister). Great car.

But the driver's seat (power) is terrible. I've had it worked on by 3 different upholsterers, and have the highest grade sheepskin covers, all of which cost me $1,000, and it's just OK now. The trouble is, I've tried many other cars and have found none better and many worse, even much worse. So I may have to drive with Tylenol ready to hand, but it really is a very nice car and likely to be reliable.