Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I think you will find that GM vehicles in general have poorly fitting interior parts compared to other vehicles. I live with seat trim that fits poorly, loose bits, that sort of thing (I drive a loaded Olds van, same drivetrain). On the other hand you have good fuel milage and fairly well engineered drivetrain, decent value for the dollar.

DD
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I disagree that GM has poor fitting parts. I haven't seen that in my cars through the
    years. I had been in lots of popular culture foreign cars and wondered why the owner
    believed they bought something better than American branded cars. Good advertising
    methods, I guess. If your car is under warranty, take it to the dealer for repair.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    OLRDV -

Agree with you that it's stupid the trailer package doesn't include a hitch.

Dealer quoted me about the same price to install one.

I ended up going to a local hitch place instead. They installed a DrawTite class III and wiring plus insert & ball for $259.72.

Couple comments -

1) Installing the hitch actually involves removing the back bumper. I thought this was odd but verified it with the Buick dealer, DrawTite, and another hitch place before going ahead with it. The reason is the hitch bolts to the back of the car behind behind the bumper. In the words of the local hitch place, it's not as complicated as it may sound. However, if you're a do-it-yourselfer, be prepared for a little extra work.

2) When checking local hitch places, the choice came down to a DrawTite class III or Reese class II. I had heard some horror stories about the Reese class II. Specifically, that it isn't "perfectly" designed for some of the bumps / indentations in the body of the car. As a result, you need to push in some of the car body bumps. I think Reese might have adjusted their hitch but still could never get a consistent answer from both Reese and the local hitch places on what part number should be installed. Made the decision to go with DrawTite real easy.

Good luck!
  • Options
    paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    As a follow-up to the hitch info I just posted, I have a related trailer towing question that I'd welcome any feedback on...

I use my '03 RDV (with trailer towing package) to pull a 1,000 lb pop up camper. The car tows it pretty smoothly. There are only some real minor tugs when accelerating, going over bumps, etc.

We are considering upgrading to a larger pop up that would weigh about 2,000 lbs. I am concerned that the car will tug more and that I'll now know it's back there.

I know I'm well within the 3,500 lb limit but am interested in some practical, real-world experience.

So... Does anyone use their RDV to pull about 2,000 lbs and how much do you know the trailer is back there with tugs, etc?

Thanks!
  • Options
    hfdadhfdad Member Posts: 29
    Although I don't tow with my RDV, I did tow with my former mini van (Chevy Venture) and it had the same engine. I had no problems towing and my pop-up weighed about 1500lbs. & I always had it loaded with supplies and 4 passengers. Make sure though that you have electric brakes installed if you decide to tow. That does make a differance.
  • Options
    olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    Thanks Paul for you reply. I search the internet and found 2 Hitches that fit the RDV besides the GM hitch. One of witch is the Draw-Tite, the other was the Hidden Hitch. I checked their assmble and drawings and I was not impressed, they looked very "rustic" to me. I did not like what I saw.

I decide to place an order for the GM hitch, I felt more comfortable. It does not mean it will be better but I hope so. It was like passsing a blank check to GM. Hopefully I will like it and the assemble can be easier.
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    At my first oil change after purchasing my 2002 RDV CXL, I went with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The "Change Oil Light" just went on (after approx. 6,000 miles). I am wondering how many miles people have been running on this oil before changing. Also, any recommendations about frequency of changing the oil filter? Thanks much!

P.S. Maybe it was psychological, but I truly believe my mileage increased after I put in this synthetic oil.
  • Options
    Buick Rendezvous Ultra gets new V-6
    From Automotive News
    The 2004 Buick Rendezvous Ultra, which will start production in the first quarter of 2004, will have an all-new aluminum 3.6-liter, V-6, variable valve timing engine.

The engine, which will first appear on the 2004 Cadillac CTS, will produce 245 hp, which is 65 hp more than the current Rendezvous engine.

The Ultra, which is a new version of the Rendezvous, will have a monochromatic exterior and a body-colored grille. The interior will feature chrome accents on gauges and dials.
  • Options
    lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    Consumer Reports gave the Rendezvous a below average rating for relaibility. This seems hard to beleive since so few people here have major complaints.

They also indicated that there are lots of problems with power equipment (if I remember correctly). So what types of power equiepment are people here having problems with?
  • Options
    montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    this is based on historical for buick, apparantly. Because if you look at the actual ratings for thr RDV ('02 only so far), it received above average and excellent remarks in almost all the catergories.

No complaints electrically on my '03 to date....some have problems with the key fob distance.
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    I also have a "weak" key fob.

Two early well-reported problems (from both of which gamera suffers) were clocks that steadily lost time, and the memory in the side view mirror motors. The time loss in the clock is very slow (about two minutes a month) but just fast enough to be noticable and thereby irritating. The side view mirror motors work just fine, but the memory positions are not exact. I have the right hand mirror look down in reverse feature turned on. When I put Gamera in drive the mirror goes back up. Apparently the mirror each time returns to a position just barely above where it had been previously because over time I eventually notice that the right hand mirror has to be readjusted downward. I assume that these might be classifed as power equipment problems.

I guess I should get these fixed before Gamera's warranty runs out.

CWJ
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Take everything you read there (and any other publication) with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    Now that you mention it, our Chevy Venture clock looses 3 to 4 minutes a month. Once A month I press the hr and min button and it updates to the radio station time.

The RDV is high on my list to replace my Camry. I am planning on waiting for the 2004 with the new engine. Maybe they will add a flip up glass in the back too.

I thought I read the 2004 will be at the autoshow later this month.

As for CR, I think it is a good guide but not gospel. My Camry is highly rated and is a great car. However I had a number items fail during the warranty (clutch, water pump, oil seal, brakes...) Must have been a Friday car...
  • Options
    I just installed the GM hitch. It took about 1.5 hour. The installer charged me $83.50 total including taxes. The GM hitch cost me $273.5 including S&H. THe total price after installation, taxes, etc etc. became $357.00. That's mutch different than the $650.00 asked by the Buick Dealer.
    The hitch looks very good in the RDV, without the truck look. It is very well integrated.
  • Options
    wampanaugwampanaug Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone confirm they received $3000 plus $500 in rebates on purchase of a new '03 RDV during February?

And what exactly is the applicable date for rebate eligibility--the date I wrote a check for $1000 for a RDV my dealer had located for a swap at an out-of-state dealer; or when I picked it up two weeks later (at my dealer), gave him a cashier's check for the balance, and drove it away?

Everything great so far with our red CXL AWD. Replaced a 17-year old Volvo 240 with 250K miles; hadn't realized how much things had changed in all these years! Looking forward to taking it from New England to NC next week.
  • Options
    See my post# 3351.
    I got 3000 rebate PLUS $500 Golf rebate. TOTAL $3500.
    In addition I got a flat 10% discount from the total MSRP (including Tranportation) $35K, another $3500.
    Total discount $7000.
  • Options
    philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    I just bought my 2003 RDV CV AWD, the wife and I love it. After incentives it was the same price as the small utes. Base price in Canadian $37,000 and change. $1000 free air, no security, no down payment, no first payment, $500 GM lease loyalty (was in a 3 year 2000 Blazer lease), 1,000 GM points on GM Card, over $3,000 off MSRP.

In total I ended up at about $31, 500!!!! for a luxury crossover vehicle! It really isn't a pure SUV. It is just what it is advertised as, look of an SUV, cargo space of a minivan, and ride and feel of a luxery sedan. If that's what you are looking for wait for the right deal and the RDV is fantastic.

Some people don't like the looks, but every co-worker who has gone out to lunch with me in it has fallen in love with the interior (beige). They all also say how deceptive the interior space is when looking from the outside. It's so roomy.

Going from my 2000 Blazer, our young family loves the RDV.
  • Options
    wampanaugwampanaug Member Posts: 14
    Thanks oldrv... Would you be good enough to tell me (1) the date you took delivery on your RDV, and (2) what state you made the purchase?
    Anyone else with rebate info on a recent purchase (Feb '03) will be very much appreciated.
    Your information may be very helpful in a dispute with a dealer over the rebate I think I should have received on our new AWD CXL, which so far is even better than we'd hoped for.
    Many thanks. -Wampanaug
  • Options
    I have universally had the same reaction from coworkers that you report. But be careful that, also like me, you don't end up the permanent office chauffeur.

CWJ
  • Options
    The delivery date was 2/25/03, near Philadephia suburbs, PA.
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's a link to some more pics, including from the passenger's side inward, and a view from the front. Looks terrific, and MUCH better than some of the current Rendezvous (colorwise) with the monotone look. AND, did anyone notice how nice the wheels look compared to just about every other Buick? I never thought they'd get past the old-looking, often quite ugly wheels they have now, but these are a big improvement.

A loaded Rendezvous AWD CXL Plus stickers for $36,500, give or take a $100, so the Ultra should come in at about $38,500 to start and $40,500 fully loaded.
  • Options
    Hey nice looking RDV. I really like my new RDV. It drives so easily for a large vehicle. Really, if the larger engine was available at the price I paid for my AWD CX, I'd of course love it. But at the high end of the price scale, there are many other vehicles out there that outshine the RDV.

Don't get me wrong, my point is that for the price I paid compared to any other luxery crossover SUV, I got a hell of a deal and am driving in style. The 185 ponies seems very lively and excellent in the city. Even loaded with four adults it doesn't feel sluggish around town. But if I'm gonna pay $40,000 for an SUV the Murano and lexus are much better overall.

I like the new Ultra look, but I kinda like the bit of rugged look my driftwood and greymist combo has.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Where's the link?

philly88 - I agree with you. MSRP is about $35,500 for a CXL with 1SD and moonroof right now, which translates to a street price of about $29,500.

Personally, I don't think the new engine is going to add much to the bottom line since it's one of GM's new universal engines, which will be mass produced and used across many platforms.

My guess is the new engine, imitation wood trim, and a couple more bells and whistles will add no more than $1,500 to current pricing. So a fully loaded, 2004 should have a street price of about $31,000 or $32,000 (depending on incentives).

Any more than that and the imports start looking more attractive...
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Check out the pic and additional info at:
    http://www.autonews.com/page.cms?pageId=306
  • Options
    Thanks for the link.

I noticed that the dashboard panel lacks a rear hatch release button (normally next to the rear wiper button)...could it be that the RDV finally has a handle on the rear hatch?

The interior of that model looks like a light parchment colour...very attractive.

The wood dash appears to me moulded around the edges...an improvement over the aftermarket stuff, but it still looks tacked on (openings around the radio, HVAC, and headlight controls).

Overall, a very nice package. Now that the RDV has a powerful, high tech engine and fake wood, there is nothing to distinguish it from the MDX...except of course, value.
  • Options
    Fedlawman,

Can't wait until the specs are out and the "authorities" drive it again. Hopefully, GM will put some better tires on the Ultra too.

IMHO, the fake wood looks okay, but still fake looking. Better than the plastic brushed nickel though.

Saw the bait you left on the other board for our friend. He was actually smart enough to not take it. He really does like getting a rise out of people.

---Loving my '03 RDV, only wished it had a back latch opener!
  • Options
    I've seen an ad or two and a picture or two of the cadillac SRX. I'm not even sure if "SRX" is correct? But If you know the vehicle to which I'm referring, at a quick glance it looks fairly Rendezvish. Is the SRX another cousin to Gamera? And if so, what are the differences other than the ol' crest and wreath.

CWJ
  • Options
    When buying buy 2003 RDV I noticed something. Most 2003 RDV now have the hatch release in the door, but it is not a handle and latch, it is an electric release button and the locking mechanism is the same.

I test drove one like that, and it is very awkward. But the color and model I wanted was scarce, and I had to get it shipped from another dealer. Only one around like I want for 1000km. When I got it it didn't have the electric release, just the keyfob and dash release. I think my RDV was made very early in the 2003 model year, and all newly asembled ones have the electric release in the rear hatch.

As far as the wood grain goes, I never liked wood in or on cars ever. Luxery or not, I just don't like the look of wood. I would much prefer metallic accents and would actually not buy RDV Ultra just because I couldn't live with the wood inside.
  • Options
    montreid - Having a discussion with him is like playing chess with my 3 year old son...I open with Ruy Lopez - he hurls a spiderman toy at my bishop.

cwj - I agree with you on the external similarities (especially the flanks and C Pillar area). As I understand it, it is a completely different platform (it is RWD biased)...but I'm not certain.
  • Options
    It comes with some equipment change. For instance, the tires are no longer Firestones but Goodyears. Also the seats come in some mix cloth with suede or is it leather and suede. I for one don't like it the suede thinking clothes will "stick" to them. I don't like the wood accents as well, just not real looking enough. Like the new wheels, looks classy. Also like the non-orange signal lamp covering.
  • Options
    cwjacobsen - I agree some of the proportions look similiar to the RDV. However, I've read in numerous articles that the platform is different. It's a new platform and too expensive for non full-plegde luxury vehicles.
  • Options
    I looked a little deeper and the differences became apparant right away. Now I'm wondering if its a cousin to the Ranier. Well, when I get around to it I guess I've got another research project on my hands. Thanks, again.

CWJ
  • Options
    Did anyone try the cargo net system from the Aztek? It has 22 configurations, you can see it on the Aztek accessory catalog. I just order one through gmpartsdirect.com, GM part# 12497093.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Rendezvous Ultra is Buick's attempt to attract a new class of customer — those with money and taste for luxury vehicles."

2004 Buick Rendezvous Ultra

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I don't know, the new Ultra is targeted at those who have money and a taste for luxery? Well I'm sure all of use who own a RDV have a taste for luxery, and have enough cash to spend $30,000 + on a vehicle. Although I really like my RDV, I doubt that some fake wood and a bit more horse power would make a lexus owner switch brands.

If Buick wants to enter the next level in luxery, they better come out with a whole new vehicle that better compares to the imports. Leave the RDV for those of us who can see the value of an entry level luxery vehicle that says quality and style while being affordable to those who don't want to spend $45,000.
  • Options
    The RDV is a true jack of all trades and is probably the right vehicle for 90% of the people shopping in this segment. However...

The RDV still has one significant shortcoming that prevents it from stealing sales from the imports...namely, advanced safety features like VSC, force limiter seatbelts, side curtain airbags, etc.

At $28,000 well equipped, it's a tremendous value for entry-level luxury shoppers, but it is not state of the art enough to sway folks with $40,000 burning a hole in their pockets.
  • Options
    agreed. I think GM is right in aligning the RDV just where is. The Ultra, with its enhancements, will take aim straight at the MDX/Pilot stats since those cars aren't so high-tech laden, but nothing more than that in the lux area. It'll be interesting to see a comparo of the Ultra vs MDX. Looking at the costs, the Ultra will still be a bit valued price even without the current incentives.

No way without the safety features will it compete with the Lexus/BMW/Mercedes/Volvo crowd.

I believe that if they wanted to extend the RDV line to that, rebadge it in Cadddy clothing and soup up the safety features. That division still needs a crossover design.
  • Options
    jimbo444jimbo444 Member Posts: 1
    If you would like to improve the zip or peppiness of the vehicle drop the tire size down from the original 215/70/16 to 215/65/16 (for moderate improvement) or 215/60/16 (caution - this is a pretty big change). This vehicle engine and tranny are the same as gm's minivans but they put taller tires on it for SUV market ground clearance and hurt the gear ratio some. I believe the dealer can reprogram the odometer for the tire size. Be sure of this first, to also ensure the tire inflation monitor system is not affected. You have probably noticed that this vehicle turns pretty low rpm. But if you get on it, it will get you to 70 mph about as fast as nearly any other similar vehicle, it just needs to down shift to do it because the gear ratio setup. My experimentation makes me believe you will not lose mpg dropping to the 65's. I plan to do this when I wear out my original tires. The very good mpg of this vehicle is never given credit for, when it is compared to other vehicles. My brother bought a new lexus $48,000 that gets 15/18 and has to buy premium gas. Making for an effective mpg of 13/16 vs. Rondy's 19/26. Anyway, now some advice for how to stop the front doors from slinging open against the hinge which could damage it over time. Go to Lowes or Home Depot possibly Wallyworld etc... to the section for table/chair floor protectors. You should find some black vinyl type pads about 1/4 inch thick, sticky on one side. Cut a piece about 4" x 2/3" and place it on the back of the top hinge (while the door is 2/3 open). When you look at it you will figure out where to place it (between the stops). This cushions the blow, I am very pleased with mine. Good Luck, the Rendezvous is a very smooth, quiet, hight quality, great to travel in vehicle with excellent mpg. Very pleased with mine after 5 months. Bought for $5500 under sticker with GM rebates and Dealer discount.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I agree that the RDV (even the Ultra) is not going to steal many Acura/Lexus/BMW/Volvo drivers, but that can't be Buick's goal. That's what the SRX is for, I presume.

I'm still shopping, and AM looking at the Ultra alongside the XC90 (Volvo) and the SRX. Am in the mood to wait, so I can drive an SRX, get all excited, decide that I'm just too cheap, and then buy the Buick.

Am really glad to hear from happy RDV drivers. Buick has gottan a bad name over the years, but I thought this vehicle was a good idea. Obviously, it is, as Volvo, Cadillac and others are taking aim at this "segment." And look at all the success the wagons seem to be having (Passat wagon, Subarus, etc.)
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    This is my first post in a few months. Something happened to my link to the Edmunds discussions (I think it had something to do with Edmund's changing their website design) and I never took the time to get it re-bookmarked.

Then, my wife went and had a baby on March 12th, so I was a little preoccupied.

But now, I (and the wife and daughter) and my Rondy are back with our bookmarks fixed. Just caught up with all the chatter.

Glad to be back.
  • Options
    duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry, I do not know what an SRX is.
    What is it?
  • Options
    http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/cadillac/srx/srx_overvie- w.html

Visit that link to see the GM Canada's SRX site. Its a new model SUV.

I don't like the new Cadillac style. I think it will loose its trendiness quickly. You don't see many CTS's on the road, and they've been out for a while now, are affordable, and were supposed to launch the new style. And the cost of an Escalade is silly! Buy a Yukon istead and save $20,000. Same truck and the Escalade does not say luxery design.
  • Options
    Well, after one month and 1,500km I am really settling into my RDV. What a great package. The centre console is THE MOST useful console I have ever had. There is room for everything, which stays in a convenient places, and the RDV stays neat a clean.

I am also getting very comfortable with the ride. This is my third SUV in six years and the RDV is the most comfortable SUV I've owned. Who needs to feel the pavement?!? If I wanted to feel the road I would buy a sports car.
  • Options
    Summer's creeping up on us...

So what are you planning on using your Rendevzous to do this spring and summer?

I'll be needing my RDV to hit the local IKEA. My girlfriend is moving and in need of some things for the new place. Looks like I need to carry a full-size bed frame, a chest, tv stand, folding and tray table. Will all that fit with the 2nd and 3rd rows folded down? I think so - will find out :P

Also have some camping trips planned so the hatch will be jam full of gear. When the fruits ripen, I will be heading out to some farms for hand-picking pears, apples, strawberries, peaches - making full use of my cargo mat.
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    if you need the additional space I recommend fully removing the 2nd and third row seats. I'm not sure if your RDV has the captains chairs of bench seat in the 2nd row but I can assure you it is an easy process and will give you at least an extra foot of height to the back of the truck.

If you need help removing the 3rd row just let me know... I only had mine in for about 2 weeks and I keep it out permanently now with just the captains chairs in the 2nd row... makes for an interesting combo but gives me TONS of room for my audio equipment and still enough room to fit golf bags for 4. All you need to do is remove 4 bolts... it's that easy. The seat does weigh a bit though so maybe do a few reps on the bench before you take it out.

Good luck...

~Lance
  • Options
    I have 2nd row bench seats and they come out without much difficulty. I tried looking under the 3rd row seat after I bought her but don't really see bolts to detach it. Would appreciate some help as to where they are located? Plus how accessible are these 4 bolts.

I'm a desk jockey in my little prison at work so I may need the few reps :) Maybe go move some big monitors around. How heavy would you say the 3rd row bench ways?
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I don't remember the exact logistics behind removing it since i did it almost two years ago, but there are only 4 8mm (i think...) bolts to remove at the corners of the seat itself... i believe there is a latch mechanism that tils the seat forward... i know it's in the owners manual though... so check that out.

The seat itself probably weighs about 50-75 lbs. so it's a pretty heavy thing.

~Lance
  • Options
    There was a good shot of the Rendezvous in the Xmen 2 movie that opened up last Friday. It's a pewter colored with gray cladding and was driven by the family of "Iceman". I heard whispers from the surrounding audience recognizing the Rendezous (surprised) as it was parked behind the all new Mazda RX-8. It would have been cool if they made a special "X" version like the RX-8. Just a little trivia...

lswaidz - I will look into it, thanks.
  • Options
    hmmmm.... I haven't seen X2, but I thought I felt a bit like a Super Hero while driving my RDV the other day. :)

One thing about the RDV, you don't see them all over the place. I feel like I am driving a unique vehicle. And for the first time in many years my vehicle is again turning heads. Nobody noticed my Blazer or Jeep. Call it superficial, but I am one of those who likes their vehicle to say something about the owner. The first coat of wax on it this weekend also made it look even slicker!