Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    San Diego, CA
    2002 VW Passat 1.8T GLS 2WD auto (tiptronic)
    Sedan
    20,000 Mi
    bought July 2002
    White
    This was the base model in '02; only options are the monsoon stereo and the auto trans, but of course a lot of stuff comes standard on the Passat. I added some nice Borbet 16" aftermarket wheels. Tires (Z-rated 205/55-16) have <5K left to go.
    New rear disks/pads
    maintained by dealer
    Interior is filthy---I think there will be some stains on the carpet and rear seats even after I shampoo it. Rear ashtray is broken ($165 at dealer to get a new one). Also---the kicker---my wife scratched up the r rear door and r rear quarter panel. Looks pretty minor, but I got estimates between $1700 and 3200 to get it fixed. Haven't fixed it.
    So---what's it worth to a dealer? Should I fix the body damage, or can a dealer look beyond that?
    Thanks,
    John

=========================

Miles are ok for the area, it's an auto, it's a GLS, we have the moron stereo, we have the busted out ashtray, we have spots that even KFC hasn't even thought about yet, and we have a minor kiss of approx $2,000 (probably ran into Ron Artest fist) .. it's an automobile, not a mens room ~ did the street people use it at night.? ...l.o.l.... put the original wheels on it, all that "bling" means nothing to the dealer .............. ;)

Without seeing it, as it sits - it sounds like the high $10's, maybe the low low low $11's ...........

Terry.
  • Options
    klbrmbklbrmb Member Posts: 41
    The new redesigned one. Looking for a fair purchase price from the dealer. Car was a demo so I guess I look at as a used car.

2004.5 Volvo S40
    2.4i 5 cyclinder
    FWD
    Approx. 4,700 miles
    White exterior
    Tan interior (leather)
    Has the premium package and auto tranny (no heated seats or fancy lights or light washers)

Dealer asking approx. 24,500 for it. Which is basically what the invoice was on it. I figured if they were willing to deal I would take it off their hands otherwise I would sit and wait until the 2005 loose their luster.

Thanks
  • Options
    ..... These are gonna be a big winner for Volvo, nice vehicles ... what were they thinkin' with the first ones being 04.5 .? no sense .....

Anyway ... is this a "demo" or was it purchased at the auction ..? check and find out, pull a Carsmack, then let me know ........... ;)

Terry.
  • Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=4501122285&category=31874&sspagename=WDVW ........ This one has all the stuff and no miles -
     thats a good deal ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=4503527932&category=31874&sspagename=WDVW ..... right money in AZ and the awd ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=4501400116&category=31874&sspagename=WDVW ..... AWD and all the stuff, low miles, good price ..

New ones are $39+, right.? .. it's a $6,000+ savings on the 04's ... if you feel uncomfortable then wait til the spring, but I don't think your going to be seeing any major price difference, maybe a ghee whiz or so ..... remember, the *miles* are going to be the most reflective item of the value - a 2/5/8k van is worth a whole lot more than a 15/25/30k van .... keep in mind, these are loaded Yota's, not Lincoln LS's .............. ;)

Terry.
  • Options
    fortopfortop Member Posts: 239
    Repost of #23339
    Terry, any thoughts on trade in value on my 2004 Tahoe?
    2004 Chevy Tahoe LS
    2WD
    4.8L
    White exterior/grey cloth interior
    Only 3,000 miles
    Located in Tucson, AZ
    No defects - showroom condition.
    3rd seat is the only option - bench front seat
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I'd give you the KBB price right now. I like that combo!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ..... Is this your trade ...? ...

4dr Tahoe LS in Tucson ... best color, baby miles, 2wd, 4.8, 3rd seat (thank goodness) and you say it looks: new new new .... dealer might drop the super high $20ish, low low $21ish figure in it ... no help from the 4.8 .......................... ;)

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... In the land of the Bears ........

2.5 handshaker ...? get the auto and the 3.0 if you can, about a $42ish MSRP with all the junk ..... 2.5's are doing "around" the $31ish figure with itty bitty miles, auto and all the stuff, a $38ish MSRP ... the 3.0's with all the stuff are seeing the strong $33ish range ... once these things get plentiful, you won't be able to give the 2.5's away with the El Manual tranny ................................... :)

Terry.
  • Options
    msanjolamsanjola Member Posts: 6
    My 99 Silver Dodge Durango,
    5.9L V8 (blew up, dealer-installed reman, most of 3yr/36K warranty remaining)
    4WD (Full time or locked modes), auto trans, LSD, front and rear AC, HD and tow package
    88,000 miles
    Driftwood (ok silver) / Agate (ok dark grey) leather interior
    3rd row seat, big wheels

1 owner, non smoker, very minor wear and tear inside, nothing broken, torn, etc. in interior

Minor door dings / bumper dings outside

Michelin LTX AT w/50% remaining

New brakes

Minor front end collision 2yrs ago, flawless and thorough repair by M2 Collision Care

I have NO IDEA what this is worth. Great looking and reliable truck with new motor (cost over $6,000 BAH)

Hopefully it's worth more than $6,000.

I'm in Los Angeles
  • Options
    fortopfortop Member Posts: 239
    Terry,
    Thanks for the info. A local dealer offered $24,500 on a GMS trade for a new similar 2005 Tahoe, and sounded like they might go higher. Black Book is about that $24.5K amount, but I wasn't sure of the actual value. You are valuing a 2004 model, right?
  • Options
    butchbr73butchbr73 Member Posts: 325
    what's the difference that they are offering between new and trade-in?

Curious on why you are looking to trade? no significant upgrades to '05's, are there? It appears $24/25k is the retail for your current Tahoo... looks like you can get a new '04 for $27k range.
  • Options
    2004 Chevy Tahoe LS
    **2WD**
    4.8L - 3,700 miles .............. right.?

Butchbr73 is all over this dude and he ain't even in the biz ..... ;)

I dunno what book your lookin' at, or what year or what color .. but if you go by the "black book", then your staring down the barrel of $22,450 - minus the $950 for the 4.8 .. that would be ah, hmm, um, lets see, minus this, carry that, uhm, darn pencil broke, lets see where's my crayon, oh there it is .. that comes to $21,500 ~ as a rule, the auction #'s and the book numbers are off by $800/$2,000 ...... but in this case:

11/10/2004 SAN ANTO $ 22,100 3,168 2 BLUE 8G A X SW
    11/02/2004 ST LOUIS $ 22,000 3,261 2 SIL 8G A X MW
    11/09/2004 BIG H $ 22,000 7,559 WHITE 8G A SW
    11/03/2004 NASHVILL $ 22,300 8,709 WHITE 8G A X SE

If you can get a dealer to throw down $24,5 *real money* - then you need to "be there" .. he either "forgot" it's a 2wd, or he "forgot" it's a 4.8 or he forgot what day it is - Whatever.! .. take advantage before he sobers up.!

Terry.
  • Options
    james10james10 Member Posts: 4
    This will be the 3rd time I posted this :) Hope you can help me out.
    I've seen values online from $15,000 to $19,000
    Looking for the trade in value of my 2003 Ford F150
    San Diego, Ca
    2003 Ford F-150
    4dr Supercab short bed 2wd
    5.4l gas auto tranny
    14,700 miles
    White
    Multi disc CD player, A/C, power windows, doors, mirrors, drivers seat, sliding rear window, privacy glass, bed liner, tow package, alloy wheels
    excellent condition

===============================

3rd time ..? .. hmmm, usually I don't respond until the 4/5th post, kinda like my love life ......... ;^}

XLT ... Lariat .. King Ranch ...?

Terry.

Oops, guess thats kind of important. Its a XLT
  • Options
    Cleveland, OH
    2003 Jeep Limited Liberty
    3.7L Auto 4WD
    22,000 miles - mostly freeway miles
    White
    Only option is tinted windows otherwise everything is stock
    Condition: Interior clean, no stains and non-smoker
    Exterior clean - washed and waxed frequently, one door nick on passenger side
    Original tires
    Maintenance done every 3k miles
    No accidents, no warranty claims
       ===============================

if it's a nice one, no chads hanging from the mirror .. then trade side, in and around the low to mid $15's, might maybe "could" get a dealer to wander towards the $16 figure, maybe
    ================================
    Terry,
    This is what you gave me a few weeks back. Dealer has offered flat 15k and won't move. Agreed upon price of new car is 3% above invoice.
    You think that is all I will get for the trade?

Thanks
    KLB
  • Options
    **Oops, guess thats kind of important. Its a XLT**

And you were doing so well.!

One more time - In the land of the Chargers (I have an Aunt that lives down the street from you in San Clemente) ....

We have an "*XLT*" Ferd F150 with tiny miles, it's the right color for the area, it's the 4dr SC, we have the 5.4, it's a short box, it's a 2wd, power pack, tunes, solar glass, liner, tow pack and we have those shiny round things - and you say it's in excellent condition, no such thing .... trade side, in and around the mid/tall $16's, might maybe, could get a dealer to drop the low low low low low $17's in it .. what might hold this dude back a tinge is the big Ford rebates ... but let me know.!

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Aaah, so it's a new 2004.5 ... and he wants 3% over, and $15,0 flat for the Liberty, gotcha ...

He probably can't do much with your trade because he's a Volvo/import dealer and he will "probably" wholesale it out, so he's ok on the trade side .... 3% over on the demo.? nope, not today, if I remember correctly (and I don't) he received a $1,000 kicker on that dude when it first came out, and he also receives a demo allowance (that he won't see til' next year, so lets be fair) your vehicle at $15 and his at invoice, no 3% ........... :) ..... let me know.!

Terry.
  • Options
    Washington, DC
    2003 BMW 325i Sedan
      5 spd manual - RWD
      35000 miles
      Steel Gray / Black Leather
    Factory options:
           Premium Pkg
           Sport Pkg
           Leather
           Xenon
           Cold-Weather Pkg
           6-disc CD Changer
    Condition:
           Very well maintained,
           One minor ding in drivers door,
           curb scratches on two rims,
           garaged at work and home,
           hand washed only
           leather conditioned 4 times a year
           Regular BMW service
           Non-Smoker, original owner
           Tires: Original (need replacement in 5-7k)
    MSRP was $36,220
    The kicker -> One Rear end collision - insurance claim (new impact absorbers, new rear bumper)
    NADA says trade-in $26,150, KBB says $21,020, Galves says $20,275. I owe $23k on it, and am worried its not worth that. I want to know what I can realistically expect if I trade it in.

==================================

Good description, thanks ~ as Mathias would say: "dunkin' donuts" ..

Redskin territory, so much for that: "if the Redskins lose thing" ..l.o.l...

For starters: eeewwwww, it's gotta handshaker and bunches of miles, then we have a few curb burners and we have taken a shot to the aft section (noooo help there) ...

"lets just say": it's nice, clean and *no damage ... trade side, in and around the mid/tall $21's, maybe "could" see the low low low low $22's, If you kept your subscription up with Guns and Ammo .. how the damage will effect it, I can't say, it will depend on who see's it, it could be -0- or it could be $5grand .. there is just a TON of Bimmer "3's" coming off lease and trade right now - and this one has bunches of miles, plus it has that movin' around thing between the seats -- if you only owe $23, then your in excellent shape, most of the knotheads that buy these things, owe like $30grand about now ..... anyway, let me know.

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Aaah, so it's a new 2004.5 ... and he wants 3% over, and $15,0 flat for the Liberty, gotcha ...
                    He probably can't do much with your trade because he's a Volvo/import dealer and he will "probably" wholesale it out, so he's ok on the trade side .... 3% over on the demo.? nope, not today, if I remember correctly (and I don't) he received a $1,000 kicker on that dude when it first came out, and he also receives a demo allowance (that he won't see til' next year, so lets be fair) your vehicle at $15 and his at invoice, no 3% ........... :) ..... let me know.!
                                  Terry.
    =============================
    Well Terry, here is the bad news. No dice with the volvo dealer. He is unwilling to move off his price and to beat all the sales manager practically shoved my husband and I out the door on the way out. I guess they think they can get someone to pay that price (and probably will) but not me. So the Volvo will have to wait and I am fine with that. There appears to be so much interest in my part of town they are selling the S40 very well.

But the good news for us is we have a friend that works for Honda and he has guaranteed us that he can work a deal with invoice plus a few %. You think I will only get 15k for the jeep there to since it is not a domestic dealer?

Thanks.
    KLB
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Info update, the car was actually a 96 Metro Sedan, working A/C, but the miles were 121K. Needed tires and some maintenance updated. No bites for one month with a listed asking price of $2,000, go figure?

Back in October I took the car out to inspect it. Nothing major wrong, a/c worked cold, interior looked used, a couple of surface rust bubbles around the wheel wells. I figure, keep 30K or so off my truck (which gets 15 MPG), the gas savings alone will save $1000 in one year. I drive a lot of 30 to 50 mile on way trips 5 or 6 days a week, plus will have 17, 150 mile one way trips early next year. Showed them $800 and they took it, put new tires and a couple of hundred in belts and maintenance. Car runs like a top and gets 36MPG. BTW everything works, unusual for a Metro.

Ok, so I drove it 4 weeks and put over 3500 miles on it. Driving down the interstate just after 5pm, traffic merging 3 to 2 lanes, sudden hard stop, person in the Taurus behind me doesn't quite make it, Boom, rear ended. $870 worth of damage to Metro, $2000 damage to the Taurus. I was honestly suprised to see how much more damage was done to the Taurus than the Metro.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    >>>I was honestly suprised to see how much more damage was done to the Taurus than the Metro.<<<

Glad you're all right (or seem to be)... Frequently, if a car is braking at the time of impact, it will mess up a good deal of the hood as well as the bumper on that car, but maybe just the bumper on the car they nail...
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Hi Terry -

I actually got to drive a used one today. Here are the details, and I am wondering about your thoughts on a fair price:

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
    Located in Tampa
    Silver Exterior
    Taupe Interior
    No options (no DVD, no Navi)
    7000 miles
    Two minor scratches on exterior - both not in visible places. They will try to 'wet sand'.
    Interior is nice - couple pieces of plastic are scratched (due to moving seats around it seems) - bit overall in good shape.
    Toyota Certified, but maintenance required light is on. Suppossedly they just have not got around to performing the certification yet...
    Everything works fine.
    Needs a key and two remotes which they will order.
    Vin - 5TDZA22CX4S055713 (can you look it up???).

Asking $33k.
    I offered $29k. Salesman said probably not gonna do it, but went back to sales manager. Heard sales manager from two rooms away say "Not even in the ballpark".

After a pleaseant conversation with salesman, he said: "To tell you the truth, I may be able to get you into the $31's. Actually, mid-high $31's. More like $31.8". He said they bought it outright for a good amount, and can't budge too much, they are rare, etc.

So, based on our conversation yesterday about the high mileage one I asked about, what do you think is a fair price for this guy.

Thanks so much for your help. My wife is due with the twins in March, so we have got some time. But at this point, she wants me to just get a car already... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

By the way, I leave for Thanksgiving vacation on Wednesday, so I won't be able to bother you for a few days! And if I don't get a chance, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours (and everyone else too).
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    7000 miles, at 25 cents per would be $1,750. If I could save only $2k, I'd buy new.

$5,000 savings, I might buy the used one, if I really liked it. The problem with cars like that is that there are people out there who wil pay the $32 for a lightly used Sienna.

I would probably \just go with an LE, forego the pwr doors ($1k+ repair, if and when) and buy it new. I have rarely found a used Toyota "anything" worth buying at fair retail price. They are THAT strong.

-Mathias
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for your perspective, and I agree with your thoughts. I think the rational side of me knows that a slightly used one 'should' be going for $29k, but they 'seem' to be going for $32k+. And I do not want to be one of those people out there willing to pay the $32k. But at the same time, I have a wife pregnant with twins who just wants a minivan in the driveway already! And what kills me is the private parties asking $35k (and not willing to budge)! I think they figure when the bought it they were going for sticker at $39k, so they got to get their money back or something.

As for the LE - that is definitely the best bang for the $. But I think this car is going to be ours for the next 7 years, so we want it to have all the bells and whistles. Plus, we can get an extended bumper-bumper (to 2010 or 100,000 miles)warranty for $800 extra - actually not a bad deal as far as I can tell.

If it seems like I am waffling back and forth on this purchase - no kidding - I am! I am not sure what I am looking for - someone to tell me to just go for it, or someone to tell me I am crazy! Thank goodness I am not a member of the CCBY club - I would be dead of a heart attack from stressing over each of my 20+ car purchases!

Damon
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    "Plus, we can get an extended bumper-bumper (to 2010 or 100,000 miles)warranty for $800 extra - actually not a bad deal as far as I can tell."

No kidding, that is 1/2 past the NEXT presidential election (perish the thought). Heck of a deal.

"Thank goodness I am not a member of the CCBY club - I would be dead of a heart attack from stressing over each of my 20+ car purchases!"

It gets better, if that's the word, with time :-)

To add to your waffling, there is also the ability to say "one-owner car, all records from day one" when it comes time to sell. Whether it means anything or not, people seem to like to hear it.
    Of course, that'll be in 2011!

-Mathias
  • Options
    frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    2000 Flame Red Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Sport,
    4.7L V8
    4WD
    Only 36,330 miles
    dark grey cloth interior, immaculate non-smoker
    Interior is perfect
    Bed liner Cruise, tilt, power door locks, windows, sliding rear window

Exterior:
    Minor right front 1/4 ding, left rear door post ding, otherwise paint in great shape

Brand new BF Goodrich 31x10 15 tires

Need trade value, looking at leftover 2004 GMC Envoy XUV I6 $10,000 off MSRP

Thanks for help
  • Options
    jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    Hi Terry,

Long time listener, first time caller..

NE Ohio - Akron / Canton
    2002 Honda Accord Special Edition
    4-dr sedan
    4 cyl
    Auto trans
    Black ext / dk grey interior
    Alloy wheels, factory roof, single CD, PW/PDL/cruise
    Condition - good, would look alot better with a proper detail. Some light scratches on the edge of the trunk, easily buffed out. Otherwise dirty but not damaged. Smoked in though.
    Brakes - rotors shake very lightly on hard stops, tires, about 40%, only maintenence done is oil changes every 4K
    No damage or wrecks

This is a model Honda made out of Accord LX models; they basically added the alloy wheels & roof to make it a little nicer than the LX. I think this was a factory version though as I've seen lots of them around in many areas.

Drives great, just needs a good cleaning. Thanks Terry - keep up the good work!

Jason
  • Options
    I can see it now, Terry and Mathias taking over for click and clack on car talk radio. I would pay for XM radio to hear that.

• Options
    jjtjjjtj Member Posts: 80
    Hi Terry,

Long time listener, first time caller..

NE Ohio - Akron / Canton
    2002 Honda Accord Special Edition
    4-dr sedan
    4 cyl
    Auto trans
    Black ext / dk grey interior
    Alloy wheels, factory roof, single CD, PW/PDL/cruise
    Condition - good, would look alot better with a proper detail. Some light scratches on the edge of the trunk, easily buffed out. Otherwise dirty but not damaged. Smoked in though.
    Brakes - rotors shake very lightly on hard stops, tires, about 40%, only maintenence done is oil changes every 4K
    No damage or wrecks

This is a model Honda made out of Accord LX models; they basically added the alloy wheels & roof to make it a little nicer than the LX. I think this was a factory version though as I've seen lots of them around in many areas.

Drives great, just needs a good cleaning. Thanks Terry - keep up the good work!

Jason
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    As I understand your posts, these are the factors:

>>2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited w/7000 miles is $31.8

>>Brand new 2005 with all this stuff has an MSRP of $42k, and can buy for $40k

>> And I do not want to be one of those people out there willing to pay the $32k. But at the same time, I have a wife pregnant with twins who just wants a minivan in the driveway already! And what kills me is the private parties asking $35k (and not willing to budge)!

Am I missing something, or is the 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited w/7000 miles for $31.8 not a great deal? (I bet it's gone already if you didn't buy it). Assuming it hasn't been wrecked, etc.

JUST BUY IT! Get the ext. warr., & keep it until the twins are 7 years old. Put the $$ you've saved vs. buying new into their college fund :-)
  • Options
    goralgoral Member Posts: 145
    Thanks! Regarding the handshakers... That's the reason I want one - since nobody else "seems" to want them! I would like to capitalize on this and save some $$$. Besides, I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon, and since I drive over 20K miles a year, the car will be worth very little once I hit the "magical" 100K mark. So.... What's the effective "handshaker" discount vs auto?
    TIA,
    Stan
  • Options
    Well, the only way to "capitalize" on an X3 stick shift is to wait until the X3 has been out for a couple of years, & then buy a used one for a few $$thou less than an auto. I know with the X5, even most "bmw nuts" don't go for the manual. No matter when you sell it, a X3 stick shift will be an "odd duck" to most buyers & car dealers.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    '03 325i with 14K miles

Glows in the dark.
    suburbs of Baltimore
    slushbox

CPO from a BMW dealership/Sports & Premium package/cd/xenon lights/Harmon Kardon stereo/Heated seats/ Black with Tan Leather.

As always, thanks a lot.
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thelinsterthelinster Member Posts: 10
    I can't justify fixing my SAAB anymore and a, wondering if I can get anything for it. I love this car and want to do the best for it. :-)
    Dallas, TX
    1992 SAAB 90S
    4 door automatic
    Front wheel drive
    Officially "artic silver;" I call it light blue metallic
    Interior is dark blue leather
    Moonroof, power doors/windows, heated seats...um...I think it has every option. It was a special order that someone bailed on.
    Condition:
    Driver side seat back seam is pulling - not ripped or separated but needs color. Otherwise good shape.
    Passenger and back seat leather are good - I have "stuff" but rarely passengers (because of the stuff!)
    It's always had mats so carpet is in good shape
    Exterior - Door dings, little crack in windshield, squished corner on front bumper (not dented, but compressed like I bumped into a pole, which I did.) Paint is great - the car has always been garaged. Has been in some fender benders, one was a pretty hard rear-end crunch, but it was years ago and apparently was fixed fine. (I was not even sore. SAABs rock, safety-wise). It looks amazing for a 12 year old car.
    Tires - 2 new ones on front - just replaced about 3 months ago due to a blowout that couldn't be fixed. Back tires are maybe a year and a half old and have tread.
    Maintenance - I have every single receipt, I think. It has been routine until the past few years. Then I started replacing things -- radiator, alternator, overflow tank, countless hoses and rings and the like. Now it needs (according to the mechanic) the head machined and resurfaced (if I said that wrong, sorry. Don't know what it means but it's expensive). Rear ABS is out; just has front brakes right now. Needs timing chain, shocks and tie rod ends, ball joints, axle boots and one replacement motor mount.
    I'm wondering if I can sell it for parts (the ones that have been replaced plus cosmetic things) or should I try for a SAAB collector who wants that body st yle (discontinued the next year, I think)? Or should I take it to a non-profit before the end of the year and take a deduction? (I hesitate to do that for the simple reason that it needs so much work and I'd hate someone to get it to drive around it.)
    Any hope?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Interested in this #. I stopped at a local Ford dealer that had one out front. A dark blue 325i, also an '03, 18K on it. Kicker is, its a base car. Auto, Moonroof, but no premium package, so manual seats, plastic trim, etc. Also no sports or climate package.

How much less would this package be worth?

Got me all excited though. If it was a 5 speed, I would have been negotiating (shhh., don't tell my wife, since I recently got a car). Just enough of an odd duck to appeal to me, especially if the weird equipment level led to a killer price.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    Terry... help for another poster..

'03 325i with 14K miles

Glows in the dark.
    suburbs of Baltimore
    slushbox

CPO from a BMW dealership/Sports & Premium package/cd/xenon lights/Harmon Kardon stereo/Heated seats/ Black with Tan Leather.

Asking $29,900
    What would be a fair price to buy this car from the dealer?

You'd think I'd never done this before...

As always, thanks a lot.
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    otownmanotownman Member Posts: 1
    Orlando, Florida
    2001 Toyota Solara Convertible SLE
    3.0 Liter V6
    Mileage: 59,000
    Color: Black w/black top / Grey Leather
    Options: AM/FM/Cassette/CD (6) Changer Audio system; Traction Control
    Condition:
       Exterior: shiny paint, no dings on sides, a few small blemishes on front (very small). Tires have about 15,000 miles on them.. look like new..Brakes are good...no noise.
       Interior: Mostly driver seat with normal wear; usually only driver in car; non smoker; a small blemish on left side of driver seat in leather where pants pocket button hits when getting in. Overall interior is in excellent condition.
       Maintenance: maintained by dealer every 5,000 miles.
    Car was in a minor accident last year. Hit on left side behind driver door. Repaired by Dealer Body shop. Looks like new.

Car drives great and is has been taken care of. Garage parked. Need to know what a realistic trade in value is: Edmunds TMV=$16,979; Intelliprice=$12-926-14,865; KBB Good Condition=$12,230; KBB Excellent Condition=$13,075.. quite a wide range!!! What is real here? Thanks, Otownman
  • Options
    Kind of a bump, and note of explanation, why I have a remanufactured motor, the water pump blew to bits internally, the temp gauge had moved up near top limit (near, but not over) and like an idiot I tried to drive a little further to see if I could get to safer place to stop but it turns out both heads cracked and #5 piston partly melted before sensors shut it down.

So there we were, idiot daddy, wife, baby, out of town guest and truckload of vacation gear, side of the road, "ssssssssssssssssssssss" ...

Terry?
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I think you have something.... Terry and Mathias on talk radio evaluating car values... wow, I think we have a winner!!!!!!!!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    Kind of a bump, and note of explanation, why I have a remanufactured motor, the water pump blew to bits internally, the temp gauge had moved up near top limit (near, but not over) and like an idiot I tried to drive a little further to see if I could get to safer place to stop but it turns out both heads cracked and #5 piston partly melted before sensors shut it down.

So there we were, idiot daddy, wife, baby, out of town guest and truckload of vacation gear, side of the road, "ssssssssssssssssssssss" ...

Terry?
  • Options
    lblairlblair Member Posts: 11
    54K..Epsom Green.4 new tires (last week).One owner corporate lease. Bought 6 months ago from an independant dealer. Excellent condition. New brake pads on front(last week). For the heck of it, went to talk to a Nissan dealer about a new Xterra, and was offered a mere $13,000. I walked out in a snit, leaving my husband sitting there with the salesman in his cubicle. He told my husband that the advent of the 2005 Land Rover has made the Discovery II virtually worthless.
    Can this be true? I bugged my husband for this vehicle, he got it because he loves me and knew I wouldn't shut up about it until I had one in my grubby little hands. Now I don't like it and he's saying "I told you so" nah, nah, na, nah na...
    Real world?? I will live or die by your reply :(
    Thanks for this forum
  • Options
    anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    Almost the same as above with a few changes...

01 Land Rover Disco II SE7 - loaded
    Had to have it.
    Epsom Green
    4 New Michelins - about a month ago
    2nd owner
    Purchased from indpendent (Land Rover only) dealer
    Metro Atlanta
    All records
    Transferrable Warranty (to an individual)
    Excellent condition

Great forum!
  • Options
    anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    99 Chevy Suburban
    White
    4wd
    Base Model
    Bench Seats
    Vinyl
    Manual Window (yep)
    2nd owner
    no wrecks
    130k miles
    new tires
    Nothing wrong with this one - just a great big ol work truck!
  • Options
    I don't know the value of your Disco II, but my experience is all Land Rover products head towards being "virtually worthless" at an alarming rate; regardless of new models, etc. And yours is out of warranty I presume, which can be truly bad news on a LR. (And all car dealers know all this). Once you get a value from Terry, I'd get rid of it.........& don't feel too bad, most LR owners learn all this the hard way.

(former Range Rover owner)
  • Options
    passatgpassatg Member Posts: 9
    What do you think about my trade offer of $14K on the '02 Jetta TDI 5 speed, w/31000 miles. I have a star chip in the windshield, a few scratches and part of the front bumper chiped off. Otherwise, good condition.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Read the information in red at the bottom of the page and repost with all the needed information.
  • Options
    Well, I think I officially destroyed my chances for Chronic Car Buyer :) Fortunately for my husband (not for me cause I have to drive the new car), I decided to be financially responsible and buy a honda civic (yuck). I drive over 15,000 miles a year so it makes sense but man would I have loved to have a Volvo S40. If only that darn dealer would have given in. Oh well!

It took us going to 3 different honda dealers and playing the trade off of them in order to get this price. Could I have gotten more? Who knows, I had ticked off the sales manager by working this way on the deal so I figured I should stop at this and take the deal before it was pulled from the table.

New Car - 05 Honda Civic EX special edition $17,600 + tax + title
    Traded - 03 Jeep Liberty Limited $15,500

Terry, what do you think?
  • Options
    Va Beach, VA
    2002 Jetta GLS, TDI
    4 cylinder, 5 Speed
    Sedan
    FWD
    31000 miles
    Gray
    power moonroof, alloy
    Condition:
      star crack on windshield
      broken front bumper wind shroud
      minor scratches
      normal interior wear, cloth
      Tires: 40% wear-original
      Brakes: original
      Maint: oil changes only.
  • Options
    Va Beach, VA
    2002 Jetta GLS, TDI
    4 cylinder, 5 Speed
    Sedan
    FWD
    31000 miles
    Gray
    power moonroof, alloy
    Condition:
      star crack on windshield
      broken front bumper wind shroud
      minor scratches
      normal interior wear, cloth
      Tires: 40% wear-original
      Brakes: original
      Maint: oil changes only.
  • Options
    kangekange Member Posts: 11
    Hey Terry -

Thinking about trading in and your efforts would be appreciated.

I have a 2002 Passat GLS 1.8T Auto in Orlando, FL
    It is an automatic with 21,000 miles with Sunroof, leather, monsoon, and homelink. It is anthracite blue and needs no body or mechanical repair. Dealer performs all maintenance routinely and all parts are original (brakes, tires etc.)

Minor scratches from daily driving but otherwise a very clean car.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    A reminder: Don't hit refresh after you post a message!