Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Holdback recently dropped to 2%.

Holdback HELPS pay for some of the flooring. It is FAR from bottom line profit!
  • Options
    Oh, I totally agree! Mentioning holdback is downright rude.

I never mention OVERHEAD either. Customers shouldn't concern themselves over either.

Still, otherwise polite and nice people sometimes take the gloves off and get downright dirty when they buy a car!
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The people that kill me are the ones that just pick some number out of thin air and say "that is what I am going to pay. I will stick to my guns until I get my price.". I would assume a savvy salesperson will spot these folks as soon as they open their mouths - and then just ignore them. They decide on some unrealistic number that you can't get with the current incentives and prices - but THAT is all they will pay. The only way they could get that number is to have a trade or be willing to accessorize the heck out of the new car - but you can't tell them that, after all they picked that magic number :D

Dennis
  • Options
    newguy2007newguy2007 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the help. recently purchased my Civic EX Sedan Auto

Car - 17928 (incl dest)
    TTL - 271
    Tax (7.25%)= 1301

19500 OTD. Thoughts??
  • Options
    jasonc3jasonc3 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the help everyone, after reading your posts, i won't be mentioning holdback at all, seeing as it's not profit, but just helps to pay for overhead basically. If anyone out there has bought a civic si sedan, would like to know what others are paying, thanks!
  • Options
    Edmunds says invoice on that is

$17995, so if you got it for $17,928, including destination fee, which varies, but is usually a couple hundred, seems like you got a great deal! I am just learning about the whole car buying process though, so it's not an expert opinion. But if i could get my civic for less than invoice including destination i'd be a happy camper!!!
  • Options
    barrettheadbarretthead Member Posts: 28
    in va beach, best qoute on a non navi Si sedan i have is 21,300 for purchase price before tax tags etc. blue book has the Si going for more than edmunds, 23-something without navi. from what i have seen for my area, this is a decent price. availability is limited to say the least, i want one with navi but cannot find anywhere.
  • Options
    rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i my area they are offering 1500.00 off on any si civic.
  • Options
    Hi Barretthead,

If you don't mind me asking, which area are you hailing from, that they are offering $1500 off any civic Si?

Thanks,

Jason
  • Options
    I was re-reading through the posts, and just thought i'd say thanks for your very helpfull post! I appreciate all the advice!!!

thanks dwynne!!

Jason
  • Options
    mourningdovemourningdove Member Posts: 7
    Thanks SO much for this bit of information, minhsdsu. I'm currently looking for the exact same car here in SD, and this really helps in how low I can possibly get it to. I'll keep you all posted.
  • Options
    Okay, after reading this again, I wanted to know how you got to that price? Did they offer it to your straight out? So that would mean that you got this car for approx 15354 after dest fee? That seems INCREDIBLY low. And this is an automatic, correct?
  • Options
    Okay, nevermind on this one!
  • Options
    rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    pennsyltucky. http://www.independencehonda.com they had an insert in the local paper with 1500.00 off any civic including the si
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    This is the same car I'm looking at. I just put in for 3 estimates from AZ dealerships. Got call backs from 2 almost immediately, but I'd gone away and only talked to one salesman from Bell Honda. He mentioned over $20,000 MSRP and over $18,000 invoice. I told him both prices were $1000 over Edmunds. He is sending email with info. Earnhardt Honda left message, said all Civics in area selling for invoice, $18,729 (that's his offer). He also said their "something" is the lowest in the state at 7.8%, but my machine garbled what it is; does anyone have a guess? I too am looking to pay $19,500 OTD. That is actually $1,000 more than I paid for my 2002 Civic coupe OTD. Is $18,729 a good price?
  • Options
    isellhondas, I have a 2003 CRV LX that was a certified car a year ago at 3 years and 31,600 miles. I take care of my cars and it now has 38,000 miles. I want to trade that in when I buy the Civic EX. I know you aren't supposed to let on that you have a trade-in, but you have been very honest on this site that I wonder what your take is and how much you think I can get for the trade in. I appreciate the dealer has to then resell my CRV and I'm not against him making a profit, but the trade in must be part of my payment. Thank you.
  • Options
    Hey all, well, i'm supposed to purchase my honda civic si sedan this week. Waiting for it to come into the dealership first. My price is gonna be $22,200 OTD. I know it doesn't help alot of people, because State Tax differs, but I am still not sure how the exact numbers are going to work out, i'll post later in the week if it pans out as i hope.
    Good luck to all the other honda shoppers out there!
    J.
  • Options
    hghanemhghanem Member Posts: 1
    Hello, what is the name of the dealer? i am interested in honda civic LX auto 4d. tks a lot.

Hassan
  • Options
    I got the 3rd estimate. Flagstaff Honda quotes $19,144.21 plus fees, taxes & license. They've always been on the high side. I've purchased 2 Hondas from Prescott Honda. I'm going to try them next.
  • Options
    kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    Does anybody know when you can find out if there will be any color changes for the 2008 model year? If I could get a Red Lx coupe I wouldn't have to look any further.
  • Options
    lognomlognom Member Posts: 3
    Just bought my new Honda today. Here is a bit of detail on my experience.

Ended up getting a firm quote via email from a dealership in Independence, MO. We made an appointment to do the final deal this morning -- all via email. The total time for the whole process was about 50 minutes. This included an extended test drive and about a five minute wait while the salesman talked on the phone with another customer, as well as at least ten minutes with GEICO getting the insurance since this is my first car. They did all the detail work and filled up the tank while we did the paper work.

The price was $16,551 + $249 Doc Fee for a total of $16,800. We wrote out a check for this amount, signed some papers and drove off with our new Honda. Truly a perfectly hassle fee and effortless experience.

The car salesman was a real gem as well! In fact everyone at the dealership was extremely friendly and helpful. What a transformation from what my father describes regarding his purchases in the past.
  • Options
    haddyhaddy Member Posts: 1
    I am getting out the door price of $18187.87. Does any one have any experience on LX coupe 2007 2dr? Any suggestion or any help or any comment is appreciated... thank you...
  • Options
    rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    I ordered a Black Civic EX 4 door yesterday with AT and gray interior. I purchased it from my local Honda dealer, first time I've ever bought a new car locally, which means the local guys were competitive this time.

In fact, all the area Honda dealerships offered essentially the same deal. Somewhere close to invoice plus destination and documentation fee. The best offer was from about 50 miles away, $18600 plus $50 doc fee but Rock Island, IL has a higher sales tax than Iowa City. My local dealer offered $18549 plus $250 to have the car delivered on a flat bed trailer, plus $89 doc fee. Total $18888 plus tax, license and title. I should have the car in about a week.

What do people think about mud flaps? Their first offer was $136 and when I said I would think about it the salesman indicated it was possible to get a lower price. We do have lots of lousy weather in the midwest.

This is my second car purchase in the age of the internet. It definitely takes some of the uncertainty and upleasantness out of buying a new car.
  • Options
    Oh, I know...some "experts" will tell you to conceal the fact you have a trade and then spring it on us at the last minute. This is pure rubbish.

Any experienced salesperson will quickly smell the hidden trade. When you coyly spring it after the deal is done, it only causes us more work and the value of it will be the same.

Unless you live in a northern climate and it's a 2WD, you have a very desirable trade, a car that has held it's value like few other cars. Low miles too.

They just won't pay you more than they can buy that same CRV at the auction for. A lot of 2003's are coming off leases now. Just know that. It's still worth a lot of money.
  • Options
    blownalcoholblownalcohol Member Posts: 19
    I have quote for a 07 4dr civic EX auto--OTD $19,275
    07 4dr civic LX auto--OTD $17,555
    These quotes are from NC.
  • Options
    Those are both good prices and a skinny deal for the store but I'm sure someone will pop in and say those numbers are too high.
  • Options
    jefframm07jefframm07 Member Posts: 4
    Have read this thread and find the information really helpful. Interested in buying a Civic Si 4 Dr with no extras for my college age son. I'm in the greater Atlanta area, and there are quite a few dealers.

Haven't bought a new car in some time, so I'd appreciate input on a couple of things: 1) How do you handle getting the dealer to take off or lower "package prices" on things like mud flaps, pin stripes, etc? Do you treat their "list" price as real given that they stack that on top of MSRP? We don't want those items, but it appears that many of the dealers are adding those things to the Si's.

Also, is it advantageous to deal via email first, and then go in person to close the deal? Are the "internet" sales guys allowed to price lower than the showroom guys?

Sorry for the simple questions, but really appreciate any guidance.

Last, after reading the forum it appears that invoice + $500-750 would be a good deal. Any guidance on how others have gotten that in light of the add-ons like mud flaps and stripes would be greatly appreciated.

thanks very much,
    jeff
  • Options
    thanks isellhondas
    I want to get a good price without spending all day at a dealership. These prices were first email quotes, and I am sure the first quotes are not the lowest they can go.
    I have read on here about other deals slightly higher.
    Just want to feel good about price before I make the deal.
  • Options
    a10thundera10thunder Member Posts: 19
    jefframm07, I was able to buy an Si sedan for $200 above invoice over the phone. Basically, I emailed all the dealers in the area asking for a quote, and then followed up with calls. I dealt with dealers that had multiple Si sedans on the lot and I called at the end of the month.

For some reason, a lot of dealers think that customers who email are more knowledgeable. As a result, the salespeople are more direct and play less games. You have to communicate clearly that if they give you the price you want, you will drive the car home by the end of the day. Also point out the fact that they have several Si sedans on the lot and you'd be happy to take one off of their hands.

As for the add-ons. I would have them list the price of the each add-on. Then, negotiate only on the price of the car itself. Don't play number games with the add-ons. Depending on how many Si sedans the dealer has on the lot, you should be able to get one close or under invoice.
  • Options
    johncoctoastenjohncoctoasten Member Posts: 2
    For reference purposes, I bought a 2007 Civic LX AT in Oklahoma this week... no options.

Sticker Price - $18355
    Negotiated Price - $16850
    Dealer Fees - Waived
    State Title fee - $10
    OTD - $16860

Tags and taxes to be paid... Estimated at approx. $500.
  • Options
    buffalo93buffalo93 Member Posts: 5
    Negotiated the deal for my younger sister. We closed last night in Denver at Mile High Honda.

Out the door price before taxes 16,783. Plus she took advantage of the 4.9% APR over 60 months that Honda is now offering.

Price was good but the dealer experience could have been better. Told them we were pressed for time - the 45 minutes they prommised turned into 2 hours 15 minutes with an extremely hard sell on the extended warranty after we told them upfront that we were not interested.

Has anybody been able to beat this price on the same vehicle?
  • Options
    A10thunder,

Thanks very much for the input. I've done the searches to figure out who has the cars in the Atlanta area and I test drove one this morning. Wow. I'll be jealous of my son!

I'm going to try email / phone negotiation to see if I can make progress. I'd wait until the end of the month, but my son would lose his mind....

If any others have experiences with Atlanta dealers, i'd love to hear from you.
  • Options
    civic101civic101 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all your help with prices. I just purchased a 2007 Civic EX Coupe AT and NAVI in New Orleans.

MSRP - 21,885 (including destintation)
    Invoice - 20,155

Purchase price:
    Car - 20,450 (295 over invoice)
    Tax @9% - 1,841
    Doc fee - 50
    Registration/Title/license fee/waste tire fee - 100

Total cost - 22,441 (OTD)

Price included all the dealer installed junk (paint sealant, fabric guard, pinstripes, and anti-theft wheel locks). Took advantage of Honda's 2.9% financing for 36 months. Price was close enough to my target that I didn't want to spend hours trying to save a few more dollars.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I was able to buy an Si sedan for $200 above invoice over the phone

Including dealer "doc" or "prep" fees? If so, that is a nice price. The Si sedan has caught on light a lead balloon, so most dealers have several and are willing to deal. I swear you might be able to get a better deal on the Si sedan than any other Civic sedan. The target market just does not want a sedan, for the most part. Ask them for a deal on an Si COUPE and you might be lucky to get a little off of MSRP - those still sell well.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thank you isellhondas. I really hate the idea of not admitting I have a trade in, it just doesn't feel right; also, like you say, unless I arrive on the bus they will know I have another vehicle. It's a 4WD and lightly driven. Even the previous owner lived in an area where snow was a rare winter thing.
  • Options
    Wow, they must be ultra competitive. Both those prices are about what I'm being offered in AZ before TTL.
  • Options
    Yes, must be a very competitive area, because the tax rate is 6.5%
    I must be getting a great deal by email. I need to quit waiting and go get the civic, but I still have thoughts about the new camry.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help from the forum on pricing / approach. I was able to buy a 2007 Civic Si 4 Dr for my son for $21,975 out the door. With 7% sales tax and $22 in fees. Works out to about $350 over invoice, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

There appear to be quite a few sedans at the dealers and the guy I bought from made the transaction quite simple. The 2.9% / 36 month financing wasn't bad either.

It's my sons car, but I drove it home as he's just learning stick. What a fun car to drive!

jeff
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there's an online site where you can go to get a basic idea what the final price will be on a car? How to figure TTL after you get the estimate? Thank you.
  • Options
    Great price Jeff, i just got mine for $22,200 out the door, with the taxes where i live are at 6.5% sales tax, so you got an even better deal than me even with higher sales tax! I've been driving all over the place today, and i'm really happy with it!
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Have you used the payment calculators here on Edmunds? While they might not give you an exact dollar figure they should be fairly close once you have the price of the vehicle from the dealership
  • Options
    I went in there but not sure what to put in. I know how much they are offering it for plus dist. fee and what tax is. Do I use that number which includes the tax or do I leave the tax off? Thank you.
  • Options
    error438error438 Member Posts: 17
    Is it possible to get invoice for an 07 Civic LX w/ manual? It seems that it's possible, but how hard is it?
  • Options
    isellhondas, I went back a few days to check to see what others are paying for a Civic EX sedan w/ auto so I could compare with the OTD price I was just quoted by Earnhardt Honda in Phoenix. I have no idea how he figured this, but he claims all Civics are going for invoice and his price is $18,729 which includes dest. fee. On the phone he gave me the OTD price of $20,900. How he got that he took the $18,729 X 12 = 2247 and added that to the invoice price. I think $20,900 is high, but I'm going by what I'm seeing here. It is the lowest I've gotten online, but I haven't gone in to talk to anyone yet. Do I have wiggle room?
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Check to see if the tax rate is correct for your area, example here in TX it's 6.25 which the calculator will figure for you as well as give you a ball park figure for title and registration costs. You can adjust the selling price and the tax, title and registration fees will update showing the changes.
  • Options
    You are certainly putting yourself through a lot over a few dollars but I guess we are all different.

If you can really buy a new Civic for invoice, what more do you want? Just curious?

Also, do not believe all of the so called "prices paid". Some of these numbers never happened.

Also, your dealer has no control over taxes and license charges. Soe stores do charge outrageous doc. fees however. We charge 35.00.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Well, I don't know that's really just a few dollars because of the prices others say they're getting in estimates without TTL. I agree with you some of the prices are not logical. If you think invoice is a good price then I guess I'm getting a good price. This is the first time I've tried dealing online so I'm not very confident with what I'm doing. If I get a good trade in price for my CRV then I think I'll go with the estimate I've been given, but not necesssarily with that dealer. I'd rather find out if a closer dealer will match it. Thank you for your help and your time.
  • Options
    I'm surprised the market is that bad for them in your area. A good thing for you!

I'll never understand why people keep stating what they paid "out the door". Taxes and license fees can vary widely around the nation. People should just state the price of the car and any doc fees.

I think some people worry too much that maybe someone else, womewhere just might have paid a few dlooars less than they did. Life is short...enjoy!
  • Options
    I'm not worried someone else will get a better deal, I just want a good deal too. Human nature. This dealership is huge...one of the "this ain't no bull" dealer types...and they sell almost every brand out there. The salesman said they just bought a Toyota dealership and he actually told me he thinks the Honda is the better car and safer too and he sells both brands. I'm not sure the market is bad, it's just that this is cowboy country and everyone drives an SUV. I've decided that's not for me. Again, thanks for your help and information on this forum. I now have to decide if I want the 4 door which makes more sense, or the 2 door which is so darn cute. It seems to be doing for the same price.
  • Options
    If you haul passengers the coupe will be a pain. Also rear visability isn't as good. Coupes are harder to sell as used cars. Just some things to consider.

I'm running into a lot of Seattle "Cowboys" who are frantically trying to dump their 12 MPG SUV's and gas prices have now hit 3.45 a gallon for regular!

It's rough..nobody wants them!