Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    Chezik-Bell Honda in Iowa City.
  • Options
    jcoryjcory Member Posts: 17
    Yeah, that's where we got our CR-V -- we had to drive from Waterloo, but they were the easiest to work with and had the best price.
  • Options
    prsiiprsii Member Posts: 15
    Great forum!
    Anyone have thoughts on what a reasonable dealer profit should be?
    %Profit = (car price* - dealer cost)/dealer cost

*car price does not include taxes, title, registration

So what's a reasonable % profit? 1%, 2%, 5%, something else?
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Who gets to define "reasonable" - us or the dealer :D ?

It is like those commercials where they say "no reasonable offer will be refused" - since the store gets to decide what is reasonable the phrase has no meaning.

Unless you are looking at something hard to get, to me a fair price is about invoice less any incentives plus a few hundred for "profit" or "dealer fees". Last year, when Civics were flying off the lots the best I could do for my daughter's EX sedan was about $400 over invoice. Sales are a bit slower now, I think, so you should be able to get the price lower.

Some folks and some dealers will go lower, some will not, but a few hundred over invoice including destination and dealer fees (less any incentives) is normally a good price.

Dennis
  • Options
    chris07civchris07civ Member Posts: 8
    Thing is, sale of civic's isnt slowing down and it wont anytime soon. The sale of the civic(even compared to the accord) is rising each year at a steady rate due to the rise in oil prices, once it hits 4.00, which it will pretty soon it will be much harder to negot a better price, just another upper hand the dealer will have at that point, I'd suggest moving on it quickly if anyone is thinking about it. Go get your civic and start savin money on gas. Had my 07 lx cpe a week now and loving every minute of it. :)

(Prices paid etc. in an above post) .. I got a great deal
  • Options
    chris07civchris07civ Member Posts: 8
    Still interested to hear if anyone anywhere has gotten a better deal than 16250 for an 07 civic lx cpe, thats total price including everything except tax and title, no trade in, flat out cash cost. lowest otherwise price I've even seen mentioned is 16,7. Hope that helps anyone shopping, otherwise looking forward to responses!
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    Bought my EX coupe yesterday. Automic Blue is very nice. Even though I had an online estimate I had to fight for a decent trade in price. I'll come back later to give a review since I've only driven it home at this point, a 50+ mile drive. But, that was fun. The tesst drive was a good distance at speed so I felt right away that I wanted this car. It was built in Canada. I just hope it doesn't have some of the problems described on others from north of the border. I wonder if all the coupes are built up there. I had no problem with the emergency brake positon, but I'm 5'8" and weigh 130 so larger people may.

Car: $18,850 (300 over invoice), EXtras on car I was going to get anyway: $280 door edge protectors & window tint, Added not on car already: $145 mud flaps.
    Tax: $523.96
    Doc. Fee: $289.50
    Postage, tire fee: $7.20
    License: $215.28
    Title: $5.50
    Reg. Fee: $8.00
    Total OTD: $20,324.44, this was $700 under what I got as an estimate from this dealer(?). :)
  • Options
    Should I factor in "holdback" when considering dealer profit? In other words, if a dealer was selling at invoice and there were no incentives or rebates, would the profit be dealer holdback (and also anything over $100 that a dealer might charge for doc fees)?
  • Options
    ubercheapubercheap Member Posts: 9
    I'm trying to sift through all these posts for comparisons but I've got 10 minutes before heading to another dealership, so let me throw this out for opinions and I'll check later:

I've got a standing offer of $200 under invoice ($20807). Processing fee is $289, so real cost is $89 over invoice ($21096). Add $595 destination to make the pre-TTT (tax tags title) price $21691 so we can do apples-to-apples for the SI Sedan with Navi and manual. So, whatcha think? Hot or not? This is in Northern Virginia.
  • Options
    Dealer in NC has told me Honda holdback is 2% (not 3% as shown in

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Dealer has also told me that all dealers in NC and SC are assessed $115 regional advertising fee.

Can anyone validate this?
  • Options
    leikoleiko Member Posts: 4
    After much angsting and wonderful help here,I bought the 2007 Ex automatic.After 3 visits to the dealer this week I went in to purchase, at my appointment time.The car was gone, Hertz had bought 30 Civics yesterday.They had an Ex in the correct color,galaxy gray,except it had the mud flaps,spoiler,pinstripe and wind deflector on the sun roof.I bought it.I got $1800. on my wrecked,bad head gasket,86,000 mile, 2000 Voyager.OTD,tags transferred,9.7% tax,everything, $20,700.Good,bad or O.K. deal?Thank you,to all who answered my questions and to the website.Franklin,Tn.Darrell Waltrip Honda.
  • Options
    leikoleiko Member Posts: 4
    Invoice
    Msrp $19,510.
    Destination/handling $ 595.
    Add-ons $ 1254.
    accent stripes
    sun roof visor
    mud guards
    tray
    wing
    Total $21,359.

Paid, excluding tax
    (state,county,business)
    tag,title,etc.
    $20,016.

taxes,tags,etc.added
    minus $1800.trade-in
    $20,700.

Hope this clarifies.
  • Options
    honda_mahonda_ma Member Posts: 1
    2007 Civic 4 dr LX Automatic (Blue) Paid $16400 (includes destination and documentation fees) before MA TAX.

Thanks for information sharing.
  • Options
    drogodrogo Member Posts: 1
    Broome County NY

MSRP 20105
    Selling Price 18650
    NYS Tax 1492
    Dealer Fees 45
    Tire Tax 12.50

Includes mud guards and door edge protectors.
    OTD $20,209.50.
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    Ohio
    Atomic Blue 4dr. EX Sedan

MSRP $20,105

$18,850 inc. dest. fee
    $250 doc fee
    temp tags, title $25.50
    tax 6.5% $1,241.50

$20,367 OTD with mud guards

Note: dealer had to locate and bring in the car because there wasn't one on the lot in this color. Possibly could have done a little better buying a car already onsite.
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Here is a breakdown on the deal and I'm in Los Angeles County, Ca.

MSRP = $18,355.

Selling price = $ 16,223.84
    Doc Fees = $55.00
    State Tax (8.25) = $1,343.00
    DMV Fees = $170.00
    State Tire Fee $8.75

OTD = $17,800.59

Does this sound like a decent deal or maybe I should wait another month or two when new models come out and buy the 07?
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    You did alright ,if the destination fee was in there.
    However,your taxes are high,and a tire fee wow?
    Do you pay a DMV fee or excise tax every year?
    Not to mention CA emission laws take a little boost out of your car.
    Maine has adopted CA car emission laws. So I bought my Type S in NH. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer.
    Long as OTD says the right price that makes it legit.
    They didn't show the dest as he was matching another dealer.

Yes these are 8.25% Ca taxes and up north is worse.

We pay registration fees every year and have to smog usually every other I think.
    And the other fees are legit and they raised the doc fee by $10.00 to $55.00, but the law in ca lets them charge no more than that.
    I imagine sooner than later most of the states will be following suit.

I guess I'm looking for reassuraces and have a Happy Memorial Day weekend.
    Joe
  • Options
    blownalcoholblownalcohol Member Posts: 19
    It was easy to get to this price. This makes me think he will go lower. I can not break the price down, but out the door is $19,200 with moon visor, mud guards, pin stripe, and trunk tray.
    19,200 tax is 3%, and I think title and tag is about $72.
    07 4dr civic ex
  • Options
    He just might if you don't flinch.

Just say you'll take it today for such a and such a price and if he says yes get it in writing OTD.

I wish we had that tax structure here as I would definitely buy the ex.

Good luck!
    Joe
  • Options
    pinoysrule88pinoysrule88 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys,
    Just wanted to know if $18700 OTD is a good price on a 2007 Civic EX Coupe 5MT? It's the best quote I have received to date from almost all the dealers from Tampa, FL to Ocala, FL. I was wondering if I should just wait 'til Honda's end of the year sale/clearance to buy. What should I do?

Raphael
  • Options
    I emailed him and the price is 19000 out the door today.
    This is a tough choice. I am getting near camry prices.
    I can buy a very nice civic for 19k or a base camry le for 20500. Not any options on camry but floor mats. LE's come with 4 wheel disc brakes, power driver seat, and keyless entry, so it's not to bad.
  • Options
    I'm having a similar problems too.
    Just to mention the camry also has steering wheel controls for audio which makes it safer for driving and keeping the eyes on the road.

I think auto headlights off feature too.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Just to mention the camry also has steering wheel controls for audio which makes it safer for driving and keeping the eyes on the road.

True but the Civic has a horizion based display that makes it a lot easier to read the speed and peripheral gauges on the "top deck." This reduces the affects of accommodation (the time it takes your eyes to go from looking at something far to something close-up), which, as one ages, begins to be important, especially in low contrast situations.

Does the EX have steering wheel radio controls also?
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Does the EX have steering wheel radio controls also?"

Yes, both audio and cruise control on the steering wheel.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    rpj007rpj007 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a sales price of $16,800 on 2007 Civic LX AT 4dr with a drive-out of $18,100 in Texas. Any feedback on the price? Is this a good price to close the deal?
  • Options
    I went for the test drive today, but was a little disappointed. At 50mph the wind noise from drivers side door was too loud. I know the 4 cyl gets great gas mileage, but noisey.
    I am test driving a corolla this week.

The civic looks great, and I really like the dash layout.
    19k out the door is a lot for a compact car.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Did you drive a Coupe or a Sedan?

I ask because the Civic EX Sedan thats I drove was very nearly as quiet inside as was my 530i, and WAY quieter than either of the two Corollas owned by my mother and mother-in-law. If you were in fact driving a sedan, the wind noise you heard would suggest that the particular car you drove had some sort of a fitment problem that should be correctable. Were I in your shoes, I'd ask to be able to drive another car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    Can't argue with that as I just drove home my new civic sedan lx at for 17800.59 OTD an hour ago.
    Everything was great but the finance manager wasn't too happy when I wouldn't go for their excessive priced alarms and extended warrantys.
    i think they thought they would make up on the deal with the extras.

I would of liked to get a camry le, but xm was a big reason to try and get one but learned from a reputable source that you get xm port installed only and no one orders those for there dealerships here on socal.
    Plus the camrys are a hot seller too so price wasn't great but dealers were selling all their inventory.

Civic rides Ok, better than my folks 06 corolla but it (the corolla) have lots of nice features but lousy legroom.

Good luck and depending on tax rate that texas deal may good.
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I posted the selling price last week, but I actually wrote the check and picked up the car this morning, here is what I paid:

Selling price: $20,550
    3% VA Tax: $622.17
    Dealer Business License Tax: $39.40
    Processing Fee: $189.00
    On Line System Filing Fee: $10
    License & Tag Fees: $41.50
    OTD: $21,452.07

I paid cash for it, no financing. Great car!
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    They are great cars! In most places the Si COUPES are flying off the lots while the SEDANS do not sell. So if you are in the market for the sedan you can get a great deal.

Was yours NAV or non-NAV? All season or summer tread tires? I am assuming non-Nav all season tires, so you paid $557 over invoice (including dealer fee) - which is not bad at all for any civic and super for an Si.

Dennis
  • Options
    jalilijalili Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I saw you post that you bought a Nav Civic Hybrid for $22,690. Did that include the Destination charge? That would put the car below invoice if so and wondering how you did that.

Also, if you ever priced a non-nav can you tell me how much and where u were able to strike that deal?

Thanks
  • Options
    You are correct, mine is a non-navi all season tires. There are not a lot of Si's around here period (sedan or coupe). My dealer had two sedans and one coupe and they ended up shipping mine in from about 100 miles away. I am pleased with the deal. It appears some other folks on this site have gotten the Si sedan for around $20400-$20500, so I was really shooting for $20,500 and ended up $50 off the mark.

It really seems like a great car, I'll report more after owning it a little while.
  • Options
    67gtx67gtx Member Posts: 9
    Sunday I took delivery of a silver Si sedan. MSRP is 21885 but my price was 19800 plus a 369 "customer service fee" plus tax and tag. The total OTD price was 21458. I'm in Orlando, FL and the selling dealer is in Lakeland (50 mile from home). Here's the kicker, they actually delivered the car to me and we signed all the paperwork right there in my dining room. I didn't set foot in the dealership. I negotiated everything via the computer and phone. There was no extra charge for the delivery!!! Great customer service!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats on your new ride and that is a great deal. $20169 with the "customer service fee" is still a fews bucks lower than edmunds invoice of $20182 and its $570 better than I did. Plus you got front door service....well done! What color did you go with?
  • Options
    duh, forget that last question, I reread your post and saw it was silver.....enjoy!
  • Options
    Sales Price: $16,677.67
    Tax(3%): $500.33
    Tags: $74.00
    Doc Fee: $398.00
    OTD: $17,650
  • Options
    Hi,
    I posted about getting my car for about 17800 otd on Monday.
    I didn't have enough money in my checking account, but since my credit was good they said they will hold the check until i bring one from my credit union and then replace my check.

I had told the finance mngr that I couldn't get the credit union check until wednesday, but she said she wouldn't be there wednesday and that I would have to come in today, Thursday.

I took the day off at work to get the credit union ck and called to see when I could see her, and they said not until 2pm but another person could handle it, but to come in before 5pm because they deposits checks then.

I went in at 11am and the finance guy had to search all over for it because they were actually preparing to deposit it in the next half hour, not 5pm! :surprise:

I got lucky that I went in early or I could only imagine the trouble.

Sorry for the long ramble.

So I'm not very happy with Metro Honda in Montclair,Ca. :mad:

Joe
  • Options
    civicnoobcivicnoob Member Posts: 1
    the car is 19,600 before taxes, title, dmv etc...
    lowest offer before was 20,900
    thanks everyone for your input!
  • Options
    matrixva1matrixva1 Member Posts: 21
    Where was this purchased?
  • Options
    AutoPark Honda in Cary, NC
  • Options
    mrgillammrgillam Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this board, and am looking into getting a new Si either sedan or coupe. I guess it's going to boil down to availability and deal. I am hearing all of these great deals you are getting on the Si and I'm wondering the names of some of the dealers that you all have visited and gotten the deals from. Also, I'm in St. Louis, but don't mind paying the shipping as I just had a HORRIBLE experience locally. The dealer basically told me that the car was going to come out to 23,XXX BEFORE any taxes and dealer fees on a basic 2 door si with no extras. I don't know if he was just not smart that it was going to be an easy transaction or what, but he missed out by saying that was bottom line and about an hour of so-called 'negotiating' Any and ALL help is appreciated. Thank you.
    matt gillam
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Accura Type S . I see this as a cousin to Civic SI.
    I got a quote from Sunnyside Acura in NH for $1082.00 This includes new rotors and semimetalic pads.
    VIP quoted me $208.36 for new rotors and semi metalic pads for just the rear installed.
    So, I'm having VIP do it. Then next month I can buy rotors at NAPA for the front for $68.00 a piece and pads for $29.95 .
    How come? I had7 milimeters on front and only 4 Milimeters on rear. Don't the front brakes go first? :confuse:
  • Options
    Matt,
    My local dealership (Pearson Honda, Richmond, VA) is obviously too far from you to consider; however, that price is just ridiculous. My base Si Sedan w/out Navi and summer tires had an MSRP of 22,143. I ended up at $20,550 and several others on this site have gotten between $20,100 & $20,500. And I believe the coupe is $200 cheaper than the sedan. Anyway, good luck and keep shopping, you should definitely find a dealer more willing to work with you than the one you are dealing with.
  • Options
    eins1eins1 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a good deal.
    I am also buying civic LX4door.
    I went to chaple hill, but they are offering
    more expensive price. I am going to try the car dealer.
    Do you mind giving me the dealer name?
    I will try your price.

Thanks.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,354
    Hi, joem5..

You might have better luck asking your question here:
    Acura RSX: Maintenance and Repair

Once you get there, click on last page to post your question.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    67gtx67gtx Member Posts: 9
    I got mine at Regal Honda in Lakeland, FL 19800+369 dealer fee plus fees. The local dealers here in Orlando were all right around invoice plus anywhere from 499 to 649 dealer fee which is a big dealer profit ripoff that all Florida dealers charge. Another thought would be to check Ebay. There are several new ones there for a 20500 Buy It Now price; not sure if there is a dealer fee involved. Also right now, there is a black Si sedan with clean CarFax and 6000 miles at a dealer in Texas, the Buy It Now price is 19500. Good luck.
  • Options
    kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Matt, I've been shopping for an Si Sedan w/ Navi for about 3 months, and just yesterday I finally started the process of buying one from a dealership that was willing to be reasonable. Biggest advice for you: know what you're talking about, and be honest but firm with the dealers, and remember that THEY need to earn YOUR patronage, not the other way around. I've worked with 5 or 6 different dealers, and alot of them were the stereotype of the greasy salesman. Keep in mind that there ARE good dealers, you just have to find them. How I did that was work through my bank and Costco's car buying services, and also by writing to all of the dealers within ~150-200 miles, giving them the price I'm after and exactly what I want. The car buying service will probably get you the best deal, but not necessarily. Through Costco, I found a dealership that offered me $400 over invoice, and they have been upfront, honest, and helpful the entire time. As for the emails, dealerships that write back to your initial low-end offer are probably the ones who are more willing to negotiate for lower prices. Working with internet sales reps usually goes better, since they assume that you know your stuff.

Work with the various dealerships, show you're interested but not desperate, and get real price quotes. And don't be afraid to go in, do a test drive, negotiate a price, and walk out if necessary. I had to do that with one place, because they wanted to charge over $24k. I told them "[This] dealership offered [this] price ($22,288, $400 over invoice)" and went from there. When they tried to lie to me about what other dealerships had in stock, I called them myself, got the real story, confirmed the VIN#, and started to put down a deposit on another car with the honest dealer. I basically walked out at that point, and it was only then, as I was getting in my car to go finish things up with the honest dealer, that they came up to my car, opened my door, and offered me a more realistic price ($20,900 for the Sedan, no Nav or Tires). At that point, I considered taking it, and easily could have, but instead opted to go with the honest dealer, and get the Navi with it as well.

In summary, work with multiple dealers, compare their prices, and be firm enough to do what is in YOUR best interest. Arm yourself with info about invoice prices from here on Edmunds, and a good knowledge of the car and what's in it, what things are worth, and what YOU want.

By the way, I'm in Medford, OR. I'm in the process right now of buying a silver Si sedan w/Nav from a dealer in Eugene, OR (150-ish miles away) for $22,288. Not really in your area, but you had asked for that info...
  • Options
    AutoPark Honda in Cary
  • Options
    mrgillammrgillam Member Posts: 3
    Ok, so I just put a deposit on a black Si with your typical "dealer package" of mudflaps, the all season floor mats, and wheel locks for 21,145 OTD. I realize it isn't the deal or the low number some of you all are achieving, but mine includes the destination and documentation fees. it's still about 500 under sticker on the car without the three "bonus"(haha) features, but I think it's not bad considering I am only 23 years old(I just want it for a daily driver, no show-boating anymore) and it's my first deal on a new car also. However I did buy an RSX in July of 2001 with my dad at my side. this time I did it all myself with the help I've found on this site and again, a little over-the-phone coaching from my dad. Thanks for your input and advice kork13.

This was all 20 minuts after I left a dealership that I was on the lot for 30 minutes and in the showroom for another 20 without a single person addressing me...Remember, like kork13 said...they need your business, not the other way around. And yes, there were people in the showroom I suppose I just wasn't important enough to sell a car to, and NOT ANOTHER PERSON was there shopping. Then as I was getting ready to leave a couple pulled up in a Tourag(spelling) and a salesman was on the lot BEFORE they were out of their car...Things like that just infuriate me.