Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Which model of the Civic are you looking at?
  • Options
    pingyawangpingyawang Member Posts: 19
    When will be the end of model year? Is it the time the newer model born? Will the dealer have a discount on the older model then? Or will there be a discount at the end of every year? Still now sure when should I buy one yet. Thanks
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The 08 cars may start arriving in September. My daughter's 06 was built in September of 06, so they may arrive in October. I guess only Honda knows for sure.

Folks are reporting near invoice prices right now and they have regional cheap financing. Sounds like a good time to buy to me. Might get a little cheaper later but they may not have discount financing then. Again, only Honda knows :D

Dennis
  • Options
    punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    You point is totally valid. But I still think there is some merit to mine, although it may be somewhat oversimplified (hence rule of thumb).

For example, I just put my deposit down on a Si sedan. The local dealers have none (there were only 2 red ones in the state of Texas). They do have lot's of EX's. If I had been willing to get an EX, I likely would have been able to negotiate a better deal since they have plenty of them and want to move them. The Si's they know will sell within days of rolling off the truck (or before they even get there).

Dealers usually get a set allotment of cars. If that car isn't selling well, they have to either drop the price to move them or let them sit on the lot until year end and then really cut a deal.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dennis. I will check whether I can get a 2.9% APR then. For 07' LX-AT, the lowest first quote I got from internet in my place is $15,700 plus tax and other fees, ans some dealer said they can be $500 lower than other lowest price. Not sure whether it is possbile to get a $17,000 OTD. One of my friends just got a $17,600 OTD in another state. He is in Boston, and I am in Atlanta.
    I will try to argur with the dealer. If I have the 2.9% APR, I think it is a good attitute to show them I am not in a hurry, and I don't care buy other brands if you are too expensive, right?

Thanks again ^_^
  • Options
    The "tell" is if they have several examples of a hot product - like the Si coupe - sitting on the lot. Something is wrong, and it is probably the pricing :D

I think this time of year most dealers have a lot of stock, when the model year gets a little close to the end the "good" dealers should find themselves with not as many cars to worry about moving when the new cars arrive.

BMW was replacing the Z3 with the Z4 and most folks thought it was coming as on 02 and unsold Z3s were all over BMW lots as customers waited to see the new car. By the time it did arrive the next year the now wiser dealers (and BMWNA?) had very few Z3s left to try to move.

The smart dealers are trying to push the Accords out the door now (as is Honda) so they don't get stuck with them when the new design car arrives in a few months. One dealer, who does not discount much, is even discounting now. The salesperson commented that there are always those that wait until the new model is on the lot to try to get the rock-bottom deal on the left-overs.

Dennis
  • Options
    I would compare the cost for the car + destination + dealer fees (if any) when comparing. OTD is meaningless when comparing from different areas.

Here we have a 7% state sales tax + local tax, but the tags are $79 per year. Other states have lower taxes, but charges a lot more for tags. Some charge little for either.

Incentives like dealer money and cheap financing can be regional as well which can make it tough and frustrating when seeing prices others are getting.

If you are in the Hot-lanta area, get an internet quote from Hennessy in Woodstock. Click here. They usually have very aggressive prices and the internet sales reps usually answer e-mails quickly. They do have a high doc fee, but the total of the car+dest+doc should be very competitive.

Dennis
  • Options
    jtwhitehousejtwhitehouse Member Posts: 8
    hello all,

if a dealer is trying to sell me a "new" honda at a reduced price due to some body damage that happened in the lot and was repaired, shouldn't it still have the MSRP sticker on the window? Furthermore, isn't it illegal to remove the sticker until the car has been titled?

Another question is, shouldn't they have a record of what the actual body damage was and what the repairs were to show me?

Final question, exactly how fishy does the above scenario sound?
  • Options
    jtwhitehousejtwhitehouse Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at LX civic.
  • Options
    punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    Sounds a littl fishy. How many miles are on it. If it's under 100, then I might see if they'll let you take it to an indy body shop and have them look it over and see if they're take on the damage and the dealers descriptions gel. If they do, give 'em a lowball offer.

Keep in mind that the history of body damage will hurt resale on down the road. Also, the repainted areas likely won't hold up as well as the superior paint the factory puts on.

Above all else, let your gut guide you. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
  • Options
    dddaledddale Member Posts: 11
    I am also tried to quote out of door price from different dealers in the Bay Area. Most of them don't bother email me back. Can you tell me which one you got that price for the 2007 Civic LX AT sedan. Is the deal gone through? How is itlike? I found most of the dealers tried to jack up price by throwing in some much accessories.
  • Options
    They are required to disclose any damage of this type to purchasers, so at least they are honest.

Get the VIN of the car and plug it into carfax - no account needed, the free lemon check. If it is new, never titled it should come back with 0 records or maybe 1 if came from overseas. If the car had been sold there would be more records. If the body shop that repaired the car reported it to carfax (very unlikely since the shop at the dealership likely did the repair) then there will be more records.

If that looks OK and they did a quality job on the repair then you could consider it - if the discount is enough. Since you can get a new Civic around invoice, the discount would have to be really deep before I would consider it.

You could also ask them to show you the MSO/MCO on the car. That is the "birth certificate" for the car and is used to title the new car to its first owner. If they do not have it, it is not a new, never-titled car.

Dennis
  • Options
    pinoysrule88pinoysrule88 Member Posts: 4
    I'm also from Florida and I got a quote for a 2007 Civic EX manual for $18,700 out the door. I'm gonna try to haggle it down a bit more, though, and maybe wait until their Model Year End sale starts.
  • Options
    elwood4elwood4 Member Posts: 3
    Honda Buerkle was offering 17355 for an LX automatic 2007

Honda Brookdale was able to meet this price and in addition
    they have cars that got minor hail damage a few weeks ago.
    Damage has been repaired but they will take some $$ off because of it.

Repairs were invisible on the car I saw.

Good Luck!
    is not MSRP- It was 18355
  • Options
    hoho823hoho823 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a Honda Civic LX 4Door Auto w/ no options in on March 26th, 2007.

The OTD price at Auto Park Honda was $18,100 at that time.
  • Options
    djpkdjpk Member Posts: 12
    I live in Northern Virginia area. I've been looking for Si Sedan. I received a quote from one dealer $20087 for the price. And, OTD with all the fees is 21715. Do you think this is fair deal? Or, should I try go for lower?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Depends on what exactly is between that quote and OTD, but without knowing that, it looks pretty good. I got mine for about 600 over that, and that was a pretty fair deal as it was. If you can get one for even less, good show. Just beware any dealer-imposed "regional market adjustments" or anything like that... madness, those are...
  • Options
    nik1984nik1984 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys…a dealer has shown me a 2007 Honda civic LX automatic with only 176 miles on it. I don’t know when it was bought or returned. He said some guy bought it and traded in for an accord within a week. From my research, I found out that an average Honda civic LX was sold for 17065-17200(that includes destination charge). How much should I ask for it? It’s an LX with no other accessories
  • Options
    Invoice on the Si sedan with all season tires and no nav is $20,182 INCLUDING destination, so $20,087 is nice price - as long as the dealer included destination in that price and the dealer is not too high.

Dennis
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    The price of $20087 sounds great (I paid $20,550 for my Si sedan), but the OTD sounds high. I'm in Richmond, VA and my OTD was $21452, so i would really check into how they arrived at 21715.....sounds like destination was not included in the $20,087 price, thats just a guess...or they've added a lot of "dealer fees." Good luck.
  • Options
  • Options
    I am looking and try to quote price for Civic EX AT from different dealers, but found they included the added accessoires -- alarm system for $ 500.00-$600.00 or Lo Jack for $1000.00 on top of the out of door price. They said those installed item is very difficult to remove and I must buy them too as manufacture equipped item. It is a rip off. My question is --is it really necessary to purchase the installed alarm, besides the Civic keeyless entry equipped the standard anti-theft deferred device(immobilizer system) The alarm only added the senor and sound only. I can have my friend to instal an alarm far below the $500. Have anyone encounter this also? Any suggestion?
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    No, those items are not necessary. There are many Civic Ex's out there without those expensive options. I wouldn't buy them, and it sounds like you don't want to; you can certainly find the car your want/price you want elsewhere. Might involve working with a dealership a little farther away, but in any case, you're in control here. If it doesn't suit you as configured, don't buy it.
  • Options
    You are correct, those are rip off prices. Your choices are either to negotiate the prices lower or just find another dealer that does not load up the cars with unwanted stuff. You could also tell them you can wait until they get more EX ATs in and have them sell you one without adding anything, but I would doubt that would net a good price.

Yes, you could have a nice alarm with remote start installed for less than what the dealer wants for the OEM alarm system.

Dennis
  • Options
    You are right, that is what I did - just walk out of the door even though the dealer blah..... saying this is common practice that everyone is doing this, even mantioned other local dealers' name with different options added on to gain more profit. Thanks
  • Options
    When I negotiated with the dealer to uninstal the alarm to see how the OTD like, the dealer even threaten saying that Honda is on the top 10 list for stolen vechicles.... I said I could have other to install for better price, the dealer said if I have the alarm installed by third party that will void my electronic warranty....ah, what a threat.

I want to know is that true?
  • Options
    if I have the alarm installed by third party that will void my electronic warranty....

Yes and no.

The Magnusson-Moss warranty act says that a manufacturer can't void your coverage just because you have a non-OEM part INSTALLED on you car.

If, however, they determine the non-OEM, non-dealer installed part DID cause a fault with your car then they COULD in fact void your warranty - or the warranty on the effected system on your car.

I looked at Handa and online at Honda and the Honda estore and I do not see an OEM accessory alarm for a 2007 ot 2006 Civic. So I would ask this dealer for the OEM Honda part number of the alarm he installed - since I am thinking it is not actually a Honda alarm. So you would get a dealer installed aftermarket alarm, which is probably not what you want.

Any qualified shop could install an alarm for you, but I would not bother for an alarm only. I have insurance in case the car is stolen and any pro thief will have no trouble getting around your alarm. Plus they will have to bypass the "immobilizer" system which makes it possible to start the car without the properly coded key (assuming you bypass the alarm). Now, if you wanted a remote starter for the icy cold mornings or blistering hot days, that plus an alarm might be worth it.

Dennis
  • Options
    I figured out why I could not find the accessory part number for the Civic alarm - all but the DX come with an alarm.

From the Honda web page:

Model Trim Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System Security System with Remote Entry
    CIVIC COUPE DX Standard

CIVIC COUPE LX Standard
    Standard

CIVIC COUPE EX Standard
    with Trunk Release

CIVIC GX GX Standard
    Standard

CIVIC HYBRID Hybrid Standard
    with Trunk Release

CIVIC SEDAN DX Standard

CIVIC SEDAN LX Standard
    Standard

CIVIC SEDAN EX Standard
    with Trunk Release

CIVIC COUPE Si Standard

with Trunk Release

The lines wrapped and spoiled the table, but if you look here you should see:

Security System with Remote Entry Standard with Trunk Release .

So as a test, go to a dealer ask to test drive an EX with no extra alarm on it, get in start it up, roll down the driver's window, stop the car, get out, set the alarm/lock the door with the key/key fob. Wait a bit, then reach in the open window and unlock the door and open it. The horn should sound and the parking lights flash.

So you have to wonder what the dealer IS installing for $500? Are they charging you for the (included) floor mats too?

I would not buy a car from anyone that seems to be that scuzzy, even if they gave you the best price I would go elsewhere.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks you very much for your advice and helpful tips. I will try out the "alarm" system and avoid that dealer.
  • Options
    peter1980peter1980 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm also looking for a Civic in the Sacramento area. Would you mind sharing which dealer you purchased from?

Thanks!
  • Options
    tfm1973tfm1973 Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased a 2007 Si Sedan (without summer tires or navigation) last night. Worked out like this:

$19,499 (Si Sedan)
    $595 (Destination)
    $1,004 (5% Maryland tax)
    $325 (tags, license, dealer fee)
    -------
    $21,423 OTD

Entire process took about an hour. Called ahead and had the car prepped to go. Had a pre-approval check in hand from my bank. Chose this dealership because they didn't pressure me and they didn't charge for "appearance package" which consisted of mud flaps, wheel locks and door edge trim. Other dealerships actually charged extra for these (often $300-500 more).

Did I overpay or get a fairly good deal?
  • Options
    mick16mick16 Member Posts: 5
    I'm picking up my Civic Si Sedan tomorrow. Dealer quoted me a 5 year rim and tire warranty for $299. I live in Michigan, so pot holes are a real threat. What do you guys think? I usually stay away from warranty, but I'm sure even 1 rim will cost me more than the price of the warranty.
  • Options
    mick16mick16 Member Posts: 5
    You got it for $300 cheaper than I did for what its worth...
  • Options
    Did I overpay or get a fairly good deal?

For the 533rd time, why ask us AFTER you have signed the papers? :)

$20,182 is invoice with destination included, you paid $20,094. So yes, getting a Civic Si for under invoice would be a nice deal. How much of the $325 was a dealer fee? As as the dealer fee was not a lot of the $325, you did just fine.

Dennis
  • Options
    abhinaikabhinaik Member Posts: 29
    I am looking to buy Civic Dx. How much should I pay
  • Options
    I think, maybe $13,000 plus tax and fee. just my opinion. Becasue LX-at is $1,500 below of invoice.

I am not sure about the accurate data. You should also hear some others opinions.
  • Options
    I guess you're right. Asking after I've already signed - I only set myself up for potential anger/shame/embarassment. :)

Dealer fee or processing fee was $50. The rest was tags and license.

For what it's worth, all the dealerships I dealt with (8 total in my area) had Si Sedans but the Si Coupe - they either didn't have in stock or were charging a premium for.
  • Options
    Probably almost identical prices paid. Michigan sales tax is 6%. Maryland sales tax is 5%.

I wonder what's the worst state to buy a new car - in terms of sales tax.
  • Options
    Ditto here, you could get the sedan for a little above or below invoice but the coupe at just under/over MSRP.

I have test driven the sedan Si and it is a really nice car, for sure for the money you paid for it :D . I think the problem is the Mazdaspeed3, GTI, etc can be had for close to the same money offer more performance. The coupe is an "icon" the sedan has not yet caught on - and may not.

Enjoy your new ride, with a $50 doc fee and low price "you done good".

Dennis
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...the sedan has not yet caught on - and may not. ...

I wouldn't say that. It's location dependent. I see way more Si sedans than coupes on the road. In fact, I was waiting to take a black Si sedan for a test drive and it was almost literally bought right from under me. I had to drive a red one that was, we believe, already sold and waiting to be PDI'd and picked up. The Si sedans are definitely not languishing on the lots around here. But you can find an Si coupe on the lot almost at any given time.
  • Options
    It could be, but it also could be that you see so many on the road and not on the lot because the sedans are being sold at invoice and the coupes are being sold near MSRP. I have talked with dealers in 3 states around here and all gave me the same type of numbers - really great deals if I would take the sedan, really bad deals if I wanted the coupe.

Dennis
  • Options
    bsambsam Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am from Houston, TX. I looking into a 2007 Civic Coup LX Automatic with no options. Edmunds have the invoice price listed for $16,166. How much should I pay for OTD (including tax, title and other fees)?

Sam
  • Options
    chetjchetj Member Posts: 324
    we do anyways, but i dont understand why people pay more for a civic when there are comparable cars for substantially less
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    You'll have to continue to wonder... This is the Honda Civic: Prices Paid forum..

There are many other discussions here to compare the Civic to other vehicles...

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    elliottazelliottaz Member Posts: 3
    So, how does this look for a good price?

$18,066 Selling price (inc. $595 dest.)
    $1,436.25 Tax (7.9% - blah)
    $368 Documentation fee
    $337.08 AZ plates

$20,207.33 Out the door price

Dealer is telling me that current invoice is around $17,400.00 and the car has mud guards, clear door guards, clear wheel well guards, clear door cup guards and window tint. They wanted $295.00 for installed options, but I was having none of it. I gave them a few bucks for the tint.

We're planning on going down to Right Honda in Scottsdale, AZ in the morning to sign on the dotted line(s).
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    Elliottaz, just out of curiosity, what is a clear door cup guard? Also, my EX coupe with auto was $18,850 which also included dest. fee.
  • Options
    elliottazelliottaz Member Posts: 3
    I wondered what the clear cup guard was too. I imagined that it's something that you can remove from the door cup holder to clean if you spilled something. As long as I'm not directly paying for it (although I know I am, one way or another) I'm happy to take it.
  • Options
    petro1petro1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a good deal on an Lx for my in-laws
  • Options
    duddud Member Posts: 91
    Hello,

After a LONG hiatus (it's been 8 years since the great peeps in this forum saved me tons of money on a Mazda Protege - and I appreciate it) I am posting because my wife needs a new car. A little background info: we've test driven/compared costs on the Sentra, Elantra, Sonata and Corolla and even though the Civic is priced higher (with no incentives) it is probably the "best value" in it's class (IMHO). I am located in Central FLorida, I am looking for either a Civic LX or EX (Manual trans) and am paying cash.

We went to a local dealership and took a test drive (4-door LX) and loved it. We sat down and talked to a salesman and these are the numbers he came up with:

Car price: $16,900
    sales tax: $1,183 (7%)
    New tag: $250
    Dealer Fee: $600

Total OTD: $18,930 for a 5-speed LX sedan

Now, I've done a bit of reading in this forum. This price seems a bit too high considering I am buying a 5-speed (about an $800 savings over an AT). I've read some posts from March and May with peeps reports SIGNIFICANTLY lower prices OTD than this.

My concern is the base price I am getting is too high and that stupid dealer fee (they are non-negotiable on this).

Please let me know what you think and your experiences on how to get this price down. I have at least four (4) dealers to work with on this purchase. I am not out to nickel and dime myself to death ... I just want to visit a dealership, be treated with respect and be given a deal FAIR to both buyer and seller.

Thank you ...
  • Options
    That $600 dealer fee is a LOT ridiculous. In my search, I dealt with 7 Honda dealerships. The highest dealer fee in my area was $499. The lowest was $49. Guess which dealership I went to? :)

I haven't priced out the LX model but I'd EMAIL or call the other dealerships in your area and even a little outside your area and tell them:

1 - You are looking for a quote.
    2 - That you are shopping around and IF they give the best price you'll come in for a test drive.
    3 - How much their dealer fee is.
    4 - Ask If it comes with any other dealer installed options which is a sneaky way of them raising the price of your car.

After you get your quotes from the dealers - find the lowest one and email or call the other dealerships and see if they can BEAT that price. Don't ask if they can MATCH it, but BEAT it.

Good luck!