Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dani7dani7 Member Posts: 4
    Hello to all,

Charges as follows;

Base Price: $16995
    Destination: $595
    Tax: $1473 (NY 8.375%)
    DMV Dealer Tire $155 + $45 + $12.50 = $212.50)
    Total OTD $19275

This forum really helped me... Thank you!!! :)
  • Options
    dallas_cowboydallas_cowboy Member Posts: 10
    Oops - you are correct - this should be in the Accord forum. Thanks
  • Options
    duddud Member Posts: 91
    dani7,

All-in-all you received a very good price. The EX coupe is approx $1,800 more than the LX. I was quoted approx $18,600 OTD (7% tax) for an LX which would mean I SHOULD be able to get an EX for a little more than $20,000 OTD. The deal killer for me is that all the scum sucking dealers here in Central Florida charge a $599 "document handling fee" that is, in reality pure profit.

Congratulations ...
  • Options
    jessica_sehsjessica_sehs Member Posts: 13
    Ok thank you all for your help!! That makes a lot of sense! I'm so gald I asked this question here before I bought one! Thanks a lot:)-Jessica-
  • Options
    jasilversmithjasilversmith Member Posts: 1
    Bought a rallye red Coupe EX AT on 7/2 from Sport Honda in Maryland (I live in Virginia, but Sport offered what seems to have been a good deal, especially since processing fees in Virginia are uncapped).

Base: $17754
    Destination: $595
    Processing Fee: $49
    Virginia Sales Tax: $551.94
    Virginia Tags, Title, Etc.: $128
    TOTAL: $19077.94
  • Options
    dantheman2dantheman2 Member Posts: 2
    I think I may have got the Civic deal of the year. I went in and drove the coupe, fell in love, but told the sales people I was going home...they asked the famous question..."what does it take to get your business"....I offered them 17K even for a EX 5 speed stick.....they said i was crazy, talked a bit, then as I walked out to my truck, they came running and said yes.....
    17000, 55 doc fee, 1236 tax 28 dmv fee, 175 licence thats it. didn't even charge me for the wheel locks...18503 out the door...and 4.8% finance, zero down.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Sounds like you did good to me. Invoice with destination is $18,549 and your price for the car + dest + dealer fee is $18,398 which is $151 under invoice.

Enjoy your new Civic!

Dennis
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Did you have a trade? If not, that is $760 under invoice counting the doc fee. Holdback is only $386.10 so they lost a good bit of money selling you the car :D

Dennis
  • Options
    dantheman2dantheman2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2000 Tundra with 61k miles mint and they offered me 6K....lol Got offered 13k already private, so no trade.

It was memorial day weekend, and i went in on monday...quota was 140 cars for the 3 day weekend, when I came in, they only sold 46, so was willing to deal. Its my pay back for paying MSRP on my 03 Pilot...
  • Options
    sitamaysitamay Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I received an online quote below for the 2007 Civic LX 4 dr AT in Arizona.

Price $16,994.00
    349.00 doc fee
    1,368.02 State tax
    319.86 lic fee
    Total 19,030.88

I think the 16,994 price is pretty good, but the doc fee and lic fee seems pretty high compared to some of the other posts in this forum. I contacted another dealer and they quoted me a higher price, but their doc fee and lic fee was pretty much the same as this quote. I'm new to AZ. Does anyone know if this is the norm for fees in AZ? Thanks.
  • Options
    richy6richy6 Member Posts: 6
    I agree, that doc fee sounds a little usury. What is the license fee ? I finally picked up my Honda Civic Coupe LX automatic today. The dealership is in Boston.
    I paid 16,885.00 all prep included. My state tax was 692.00 , Doc fee was 198.00 and like 50.00 bucks to transfer plates. This dealer was probally the most non-sketchy dealership I have come across. The people were real stand up.
  • Options
    sitamaysitamay Member Posts: 2
    The license fee was 319.86. That seems high too. I'm just going to ask them to give the car to me for 18,500 OTD and then try to have another dealer beat that price. The tax really kills you in AZ.
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    Certainly was decent, in line with what some of us have paid. You came in a few hundred dollars below my deal because of tax difference. Enjoy!
  • Options
    sams_6sams_6 Member Posts: 15
    I just today bought a 4dr Civic LX AT for $16,101 including delivery. Add $298 doc fee (MA dealers suck) and my price was $16,399.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great deal. What did it come to OTD, including tax (and any other fees)?
  • Options
    chriscookschriscooks Member Posts: 3
    Bought my wife a new 2007 Civic EX (silver) on Thursday night, the last day of 2.9 / 4.9 financing special in the region.

Traded her 1996 Cavalier with 100K miles and air that just went out. Dealer said the car was worth $1,000 at best, but held firm on the difference we would pay with the sales rep and sales manager. The General Manager finally signed off on the deal.

$20,105 sticker price (including $595 destination)
    $129 splash guards
    $54 wheel locks
    $20,288 Total Price
    ($2,788) trade and discount
    $17,500 difference plus $35 doc fee and $17 for a new title. Out the door @ $17,552

We left a bit tired, but happy with the deal and delighted with the car!
  • Options
    This is the current quote we have worked:
    Base price:21,855
    Fog lights: 467
    Discount: 1,022
    Cost before Trade: $21,300
    trade: 3,000
    Total cost before tags & taxes: $18,300
    Total cost with tags & taxes: $19,693

So far we are pretty happy with this deal. We have another offer that is $406 more and are going to talk to them and see if they can do any better on Monday. What do ya'll think?
  • Options
    galt67galt67 Member Posts: 1
    Having received SEVERAL quotes of 20K+ for the EX, and with little interest in negotiating, I bought the following last night:

Base: 16,655
    Trade in: -1378.84 (93 DelSol w/no air, POOR body, 157k mi
    )
    FL Waste Tire: 6.50
    Electronic Filing: 24.00
    Dealer Doc Fee: 599.00
    Sales Tax (.065): 979.34
    Title, Tags: 79.86 (Mine was expiring just this month!)

TOTAL: 16,964.85 OTD

Based upon what I've seen in this area, this is a VERY good price. I was lucky to get it after a 'mistake' was make by the dealer's Internet Dept. on a quote they sent me.
  • Options
    fungjowfungjow Member Posts: 4
    Anyone get a good deal on a 2007 Civic LX 4dr MT or AT in the Albany, NY area?
  • Options
    galt67,

I did the math and YOU DID get a very good price on the LX AT. Without the trade-in you paid about $18,400 OTD ... a VERY good price considering I was quoted almost $19,000 OTD for an LX MT!

Galt67, could you email me at pcjbrig@yahoo.com? I am VERY VERY interested in how you were able to get this deal. I live in Orlando and am buying an LX MT VERY soon.

Please email me so that we can talk ...

THanks
  • Options
    Plus tax would be "out the door," not the car and fees alone.

This car would be about $18,700 at invoice with the extra amenities, inc. destination. Let's say you would wind up a few hundred above invoice before tax. If I'm understanding you, it doesn't sound like a smoking deal at $17552 plus the trade, before tax. But ok deal, and lucky you to get the cheap financing, which wasn't available in my region when I was buying. :)
  • Options
    chriscookschriscooks Member Posts: 3
    Car dealers don't collect sales tax in Nebraska - that's done by the county when you license the vehicle; hence $17,552 out the door.

Edmunds lists the car invoice at $18,550. Not sure what the splash guards and wheel locks cost, but they were included as well.

At $17,552 and a trade worth $1,000 (or probably less), that should put the purchase right about at the invoice price.

And, of course, the cheap financing is just the cherry on top!
  • Options
    screenp2screenp2 Member Posts: 2
    Left the dealer this afternoon with this quote:

20,105 sticker

18,549 invoice (I know it's only 17,955)
    390 hold back

922 taxes
    379 doc and reg

19,460 OTD

I'm not financing so can I get a lower deal when I go back in two weeks. I'm buying at the end of the month in hopes to work a better deal.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tuvent08tuvent08 Member Posts: 2
    We picked up our LX today, very excited.

16100 + 595 dest.
    385 doc and reg
    799 taxes

17880 OTD with agreeable financing. Very satisfied.
  • Options
    gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    Which Massachusetts dealers are you folks using?

I don't have time to be driving all over the place chasing deals and Honda Barn in North Reading, Commonwealth in Lawrence and Kelly in Lynn all don't seem too interested in conducting business via email.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tuvent08tuvent08 Member Posts: 2
    We went to Bernardi in Natick. They lived up to their positive reviews - I conducted most of the negotiation by email and they were very responsive. They looked to get a bit slippery when they initially lowballed my trade-in, but their offer ended up okay. I'd recommend sending them an email.
  • Options
    screenp2screenp2 Member Posts: 2
    Herb Chambers in Seekonk.
    I've went the email route before (06' Tacoma) and got better or same results by just walking in this time with numbers from here.
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Purchase price: $16,000 + $299 ( Doc Fee ).

We spent our time researching reviews and price and if this civic turns out to be anywhere close to our 04 Accord, EX-L, we'll be thrilled!
  • Options
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their civic recently? We are picking up our Civic LX this evening and I want to be prepared to negotiate. We are looking for 7 or 8 year, 120K, 0 deductible warranty.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Options
    richy6richy6 Member Posts: 6
    I used Honda of Boston. I did all my negotiating online. I did not go to the dealership until the internet manager confirmed the deal verbally over the phone.
  • Options
    gtahlgtahl Member Posts: 11
    Hi All,

I just wanted to thank you all for providing me insight into Honda Civic pricing which helped me negotiate excellent deal for my new Honda Civic.

Here are my deal details (if it helps anyone)
    2007 Honda Civic LX Auto 4 Door
    Car registered in VA (i.e. VA Tax & Tags) but bought from a MD dealer

Out-the-Door I paid $16850

Dealer :- Jim Coleman Honda, MD

- Garry
  • Options
    dennis885dennis885 Member Posts: 7
    Do you guys think this is a fair quote for a 5 speed, LX Coupe. I think I could get the car prices down mabe another 200 or so also. I'm in PA.

Car: $16,577
    PA Tax: $994
    License Fee: $113
    No Delaer fee, etc.

OTD Quote: $17,684

Like I said I think I could get them down a bit to make the OTD Price 17,500. Is this a fair deal?
  • Options
    Garry,

Could you break out your OTD price for us? $16,850 is awfully low.
  • Options
    Dennis,

It appears (to me) that you got a good quote on the coupe. You will be paying 6% sales tax but NO dealer fee (that's good). That same car (in Central Florida) would cost about $800 more.

Try negotiating them down as far as you like ... what could it hurt?
  • Options
    lostinnjlostinnj Member Posts: 5
    In prelim stages of negotiation with a dealership in northern New Jersey for a Civic LX Coupe with Manual in Galaxy Grey. First quote they've given me over the phone is $16,500, which includes the $595 destination charge. I'll pay 7% tax and who knows what for extras.

This sounds like a good start. At about $500 over invoice, how much more wiggle room do you think is there?

Is there a further discount to be had considering the '08s will be rolling out soon, and there seems to be a pretty sizeble inventory of '07s at the dealerships around here? This is my first Honda so I don't know if the dealers think this way in general. Is this expectation unreasonable?

I'm going in later this week. Any suggestions on counter-offer and approach?
  • Options
    lostinnj,

You asked ... so here goes: I would suggest you negotiate an "Out-the-Door" price on the car. When I buy a car I walk in (knowing the invoice price and my tax rate) and ask for their OTD price. I don't care what the price of the car is ... or the dealer fee ... or whatever. All I care about is what my bottom-line price is. BTW are you financing or paying cash?

Ask for an OTD price and post it here ...
  • Options
    lostinnjlostinnj Member Posts: 5
    Thanks- I'll do that. As for your question, I'll be paying cash. No financing.
  • Options
    berrydebberrydeb Member Posts: 1
    I really liked your advice. In fact I called 3 dealerships in the Austin area for quotes. Besides getting the run around, EVERY single one of them gave me a Internet quote for a EX AT of 18990. I just couldn't believe it! Can anyone help? Do I need to spend and waste even more time visiting each one for decent price?
    The following is the most comprehensive information that I have been able to obtain from one of the dealers.

Internet price $18,899.00

Add Day/Night compass mirror - $326.00 (installed)

Sub total $19,225.00

Taxes (VIT/Sales) $1,241.93 (A good trade will reduce this amount in tax savings.)

Lic / Title / Insp / Doc $177.05

Drive out price $20,643.98

Is this a good deal or should I do something different? Thanks,
    Deb
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Have you tried any of the dealerships in San Antonio? I know one dealership here in town offers competitive prices so feel free to email me for details.
    Frank
  • Options
    Deb,

I have a general idea as to how much an LX MT (sedan I assume) should cost, since I am looking to but one. The EX runs $1,800 or so more than the LX. The AT runs about $800 more than the MT.

So ... your OTD price of $20,600 - $1,800 - $800 = $18,000 for a comparable LX, 5 speed sedan.

Based upon this your price is about what I would expect to pay for that car.
  • Options
    Hi dud,

Here you go:

MSRP : 17760 + Destination :595
    ----------------------------
    Sale Price : 15585
    Destination : 595
    Tax (3%) : 467.55
    Dealer Processing : 100
    Title/Tags : 100

Total OTD : 16847.55

I basically negotiated for OTD price from the start since I knew Taxes/Tags for my state . My goal was 16500 OTD but this was the lowest I was able to get
  • Options
    Wow, that's unbelievable. Literally.
  • Options
    I Initially thought that I probably wont be able to get it also and was also looking at Corolla in case the price is really out-of-bounds for me. But bidding the dealers against each other helped a lot using internet pricing .
    At the end I was able to get 16800 & 16850 OTD from 2 dealers in the area but and I chose the one which had the color I wanted (16850).
  • Options
    gtahl,

You just posted the MOST amazing deal that I've seem here in the forums on an LX sedan AT ... and here is why:

Your MSRP and dest charges are correct.

The sale price is key here. The invoice on this car is $16,350. How were you able to get them to sell it to you for $800 under invoice? Was there some special incentive of end-of-month target that had to be met?

Your sales tax is very low at only 3%.

Your dealer "processing" fee is low at only $100 (mine is $600).

Title/tags are low too.

The sales price explains it all. That is about $1,200 lower than I can expect to pay here in Florida.

Good job!
  • Options
    Those deals are out there. We paid $16K for our LX, coupe with auto. This includes the $595 freight deliver. The only addition cost was the dealer's Fee of $298, for a total price of $16,298 ( plus tax, title).

The LX sedans are also in this range as we could have chosen a sedan for the same price.
  • Options
    arifried44arifried44 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone help me with pricing a used car here?
    I am interested in buying a 1997 civic LX 4DR that has 77,000 miles on it. it is in good condition, but probably needs a break job and a new timing belt soon. I am located in Philadelphia, and the seller is asking $5500 - is this too much or is it a good deal?
  • Options
    From what I could use from your answer Kelly blue book says that the suggested private party value for the car should be around 4,850. I didn't know all the options this car has so this figure could be off some. You might go to www.kbb.com and see if when you add the options that the car has, it gives you a different result. Sorry I couldn't be more help:(
    -Jessica-
  • Options
    I was going to buy an LX 5 speed sedan in late August but it looks like that has been moved up to late July. Any peeps out there with recent buying experiences in the greater Orlando area? Could use any recommendations.

Thanks ...
  • Options
    ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    That is not a good deal. The brake job (all the way around) in most places will run you 400 dollars easy. When changing the timing belt on that car you also need to change the water pump and if you are using honda OEM parts (do not buy a cheap auto parts store water pump/ when it starts to leak 6 months later you will be paying the labor cost of changing the timing belt to fix it) that is going to run you 6 to 800 dollars. I'd offer them 3850 but would go no higher than 4k since it most likely needs a major tune up ie: new plugs and plug wires, fuel filter and transmission and coolant change and maybe a valve cover gasket and valve adjustment. 4 K max on this car and be prepared to drop another 1500/1650 to get it running right with maintenance. That will put the car at 5500/5650 but in proper order going by the information you have given. Good Luck
  • Options
    Thats Right,

This doesn't seem lika a good deal. I just sold 2000 Civic LX AT for 85K miles with new brakes and timimg belt already changed for $5000 . I tried my best for a month to get at least $6000 from various dealers and trying to sell it through different venues like Craigslist and Newspaper . Maximum I could get was $5000 and I saw similar sales all around. Try craigslist , you will get good pricing there.

-G