Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    cricfan777cricfan777 Member Posts: 20
    I live in Detroit.

Here's the breakdown:

MSRP $18355

Internet price $17061 including destination ($595)

Doc fee $194.00

6% sales tax $1035.30

new plate $59.00

registration$15.00

OTD $18364.30.

I was shooting for $18,000, but no dealer is budging anymore. Should I ask for an extra accessory for the same price? Am I getting a good deal? I don't understand what negotiating skills do people here use to get it under $18,000. I've basically put 5 dealers against each other and this is the best I've got.
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    I think it sounds reasonable, and don't fret when you read about the few extremely low prices posted here--those may just not be achievable in some locations, if they exist anywhere.
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I agree, that is a solid deal. Some of prices listed here (ie $800 below invoice) just don't make sense. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. This makes me feel better about the pricing. I had another question. I am an AR resident, have an AR's driver license, but will be buying the car in MI. How will title, plates and registration work in my case and will I have to pay taxes twice? I would appreciate any info you can give me.
  • Options
    gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    Was just quoted $20,188 for the Civic Si sedan. I believe that is $6 over the Edmunds invoice. There is also a $125 doc fee, which seems reasonable here in MA.

I'm looking at a couple of other cars (Mazda3 & Sentra Spec-V) but this price seems pretty good from what I can tell.

Any comments?
  • Options
    falmouthfalmouth Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have a dealer in N. Virginia with which they've had good results? I've started the process thru Edmunds with several dealers but so far all but one are slow to respond and I'm still waiting upon a quote from that one. Thanks
  • Options
    sacurasacura Member Posts: 6
    Try Koons Honda They quote me

2007 Honda Civic LX
    4 Door Sedan Automatic
    Model Code: FA1657EW

Invoice: $16349.47
    MSRP: $17760.00
    Your Price: $15849.47
    Freight: $595.00
    Processing Fee: $299.00
    VA Tax (3.17%): $530.77
    Tag and Title Fee: $69.50
    Out the Door: $17343.74
  • Options
    djpkdjpk Member Posts: 12
    Try Koons Honda in Manassas. I bought my SI about a month ago. OTD was 21700. I dealt with Terrald. He is very nice guy. No pressure!!!
  • Options
    lostinnjlostinnj Member Posts: 5
    Just signed the papers for this deal in New Jersey. Civic LX Coupe with 5 speed out the door for $17,340. That includes NJ tax of 7% (ouch). Also in this lovely state you have to prepay 4 years worth of registration fees when you buy a new car. Once again, your government working for you. But I digress...

We agreed on a final OTD price and they basically worked backwards to assign a price to the car, but anyway, this is the breakdown on the paperwork:

$15,788 Car + Destination
    $1,105 7% NJ sales tax
    $234 Four-year registration
    $213 All other fees (basically to dealer)
    $17,340 OTD

(I also opted for something the dealer calls the Honda Club. For a $99 one-time fee your car and a second car get 10% off any parts and service and free loaner during service, for life. That $99 is not included in my breakdown above.)

I basically got quotes from multiple dealers, using Edmunds, making phone calls, and sending internet requests. I then took the lowest quote, called the dealer in my town, said I was ready to buy now if they could beat it, and they did.
  • Options
    gtahlgtahl Member Posts: 11
    I also live in VA , but got best price (LX Auto) from Jim Coleman Honda in MD. I dealt with Han Aydinel .

Sale Price : 15585
    Destination : 595
    Tax (3% - VA) : 467.55
    Dealer Processing : 100
    Title/Tags : 100

Total OTD : 16847.55
  • Options
    duddud Member Posts: 91
    Your deal (and the last 2 -3 deals) from Virginia are all very good to excellent. i will be buying the 5-speed LX sedan in the next 3 weeks and I would buy it right now if I could get that price in Orlando!
  • Options
    jinstjinst Member Posts: 2
    Lostinnj, can you tell me what dealership you went to for this deal. I also quoted multiple Honda dealers around northern nj for the same car you bought and my lowest car + destination price was $16,027. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    kyotekyote Member Posts: 28
    My situation is similar, CO resident and driver's license and plan to plate the car in CO etc. but looking at buying from a TX dealer. TX dealer told me I had to pay TX tax of 8.1% and then CO would refund some tax money if CO lower tax rate. (it is just a little lower in CO). I just wonder if I would ever see the tax refund. So I called my credit union in CO. They told me that if I finance with them they will be sure I pay CO tax and they will plate it with CO tags, and CO title. I then shared this info. with dealer and he seemed very confused and told me I was wrong? Please let me know if you learn anything about this. Thanks.
  • Options
    falmouthfalmouth Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to all in VA for your help. Koons is quoting $ 500 below invoice for EX Civic Sedan w/Manual. It also includes appearance package of mud guards, wheel locks, door edge guards, fender well trim and pin stripe at no charge. They are also offering EX Accords, coupe and sedan for $2000 below invoice. I still haven't driven a new civic and if the ride isn't better than my daughter's '01 I may spend a bit more for the Accord. Thanks again.
  • Options
    The best place to get information is from your Secretary of State. I called the ones in MI and AR. The good thing is that they both have the same tax rate (6%). The MI SOS told me that MI does not require to pay the sales tax when you buy the car. There is a 14 day grace period within which you can pay the sales tax. So I can get a temporary plate, drive to AR and register it there and pay their taxes. But my problem is I have a month before I'll move to AR and the delaer is pusing me to buy the car, or else he'll take his deal off the table. I had another question. My dad live in MI. So can the car be registered in MI under my dad's name and can I still have an AR plate since I have an AR license?
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Very good deal. I paid $20,550 back in May for my Si Sedan. Really an outstanding vehicle. Good luck.
  • Options
    I guess too many dealers are there in VA - DC - MD metro area + they have good inventories too . That may be the reason they giving better pricing than other places. I am sure if you wait for 2008 model to come out ,you will get much better deals on remaining 2007s
  • Options
    falmouth,

you mentioned that Koons was "quoting" you a price. Did you request a quote from just Koons or did you reach out to a number of different dealers?

Thanks ...
  • Options
    I went to Madison Honda. I test drove and let them know I'd be buying in 2 weeks but had a lot of testing to do. A few days later I called back to get a price and was quoted $16,500 for the car incl delivery.

At that point I gathered up as many quotes as I could. The lowest I got was via email from Joyce Honda in Denville. I told Madison if they could beat it I would come in the next day with a deposit, which is what happened.

Rather than start with the price of the car, ask dealers to match an OTD price of less than $17,300. Say $17,100 for instance. They will work backwards from the total to arrive at the price of the car which you'll find will be lower than $16,027.

Why? Because registration fees are set by the state. Taxes are set by the state. Tire fee (for $7.50) is set by the state, and the dealer will have their fee on the contract already ($198 in my case). Whatever is left is the "price". That's really the only variable piece in the equation.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    You won't be able to register the car in Michigan without paying tax..

If the dealer won't work with your time frame, I'd just wait.. I doubt the '07 will go up in price over the next month..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    arunmeyarunmey Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a Honda Civic LX, AT. Any suggestions on a dealer?

thanks
  • Options
    You may want to tell us WHERE you live. A ZIP code might help ...
  • Options
    He/she DID say DALLAS. That should be close enough for those who live in the area, right?
  • Options
    black00black00 Member Posts: 48
    lostinnj,
    Just want to make sure I understand the deal you got. Since you paid $15,788+dest. on a LX which has an invoice of $15,432+$595 (dest.)... so you paid $356 above invoice?

What others have been able to negotiate in Northern NJ?
  • Options
    jessica_sehsjessica_sehs Member Posts: 13
    I brought my "baby" home yesterday. I LOVE this car!
    This is what I paid:

car with navi and fog lights: 21189
    trade allowance: 3021
    trade difference: 18,266
    sales tax: 1333.42
    tire tax: 4.00
    OTD: 19,604.42

we are very happy with this deal and our salesman even paid the .42 LOL :)
  • Options
    dennis885dennis885 Member Posts: 7
    I went to the closest Honda dealer to my home (Pizza Honda of Pottstown) looking for a Civic LX Coupe, 5 Speed. I think the price is a little too high and was wondering if I could get them down. Here's what I was offered:

Price: $16,900 w/ destination fee
    Tax (6%): $1014
    Doc Fee; $55
    -------------------
    Total: $18094

I think the price on the car is too high, I've seen a newspaper ad for 15,994 which would make the price with destination fee about $16,600. I asked about the 16,900 and was told that was already a discounted price. Can I get them to 16,600?
  • Options
    Invoice for civic LX coupe MT is $16,028 (incl. dest) (kbb.com). So I think you should be able to negotiate to $16,250. You should find the newspaper ad and take it to your dealer and tell them to beat the ad price. You should also ask for quotes from other dealers via email and make them compete with each other. Your OTD should be around $17,400 or less.
  • Options
    slisstudentslisstudent Member Posts: 40
    Try using the Honda website to send e-mails to all the Honda dealers in the D/FW area. You should get some very competitive quotes...I did but I ended up buying an Accord. Anyhow, Lute Riley offered the lowest quote for an auto LX coupe @ $16,761 (i.e. invoice + destination). The next lowest quote was for $150 more. You can probably do better now.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that a majority of new Honda vehicles in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area are loaded with dealer installed accessories. On a Civix LX sedan, you're probably looking at the propack (includes: mudguards, wheel locks, and trunk tray) pinstripe, and maybe door edge guards.

You may be able to have these accessories included at no charge but assuming you don't, go online to get an idea of the retail prices for these accessories.

Good luck
  • Options
    capt_billcapt_bill Member Posts: 4
    When will the '08 models hit the dealer showrooms? This is important as far as '07 model sell-offs etc.

In watching Honda, I've noticed there's not great a difference in price from a fading model year and the incoming model... unless there is a major new model enhancement.

So, is it worth waiting for 08 model? Do you see a significant price drop to justify buying '07 at end of model year? It may be a new Civic but it's a year old car in the biz!

Or am I wrong? Thanks.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if advertised prices include the $595 destination fee? I have my doubts b/c a local dealer has 07 civic lx coupes, 5 speeds advertised for 15,994. Anyone know?
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    The $595 destination/freight charge is listed as a line item on the MSRP and is included in the total MSRP. Some dealers may argue this, but it is part of the MSRP and, therefor, should be included in any price discussion. What is not included and varies with each dealer, is the dealer prep fee.

As I previously posted, last week I purchased a new 2007 LX coupe with auto for $16,000 and, yes, this included the $595 destination. I paid an additional $298 for the dealers fee.

Good luck!
  • Options
    themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    The price tag on my Si was like 27,600 or something, lol. Obviously was not going to pay that. It has navi and foglights(650) splash guards(150). So i used a few quick tricks, and in no time had it to 23,600 including licensing fees.
  • Options
    themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    ive noticed some people paid 19-21 for an EX civic. Why wouldnt you just buy a Si for 20,500, its got all the EX stuff, but looks better, has way better engine and suspension. hell even mine with all the extra goodies only cost a couple grand more
  • Options
    jessica_sehsjessica_sehs Member Posts: 13
    :) I can tell you the main reasons why I didn't,
    1- I'm not too great with a m/t &
    2- I honestly don't think it looks better than the ex
  • Options
    Because I didn't want a stick, didn't want the lower fuel economy, am satisfied with the styling and handling, and enjoy paying less.
  • Options
    lboogslboogs Member Posts: 2
    Just moved to the area and looking to either buy or lease a honda. Any advice and suggestions as to which dealer to go to would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    I paid $15,788, which included the destination fee. The invoice price of the car including destination is $16,027. So really, I paid $239 under invoice.

But again, we didn't start with negotiating the price of the car, we negotiated the OTD cost. After subtracting all the state-controlled fees and the fees that the dealer wanted to collect, the remainder was the price of the car.

Most people focus on the price of the car, then start adding in fees to reach the OTD. Another way is to negotiate the OTD and then who cares what the price of the car ends up being- your out of pocket is the OTD price. They could agree to $17,000 OTD, have the dealer fee be $15,000 and the price of the car $2,000. It wouldn't matter to you. That's why I'm suggesting you not focus so much on what to offer for the car but how much you are willing to part with in total.
  • Options
    I emailed the dealer asking them to come down to $16,200, which they have advertised in the paper from 16,900. Then another dealer has the LX Coupe advertsed for 15,994 and Pizza Honda has a price match policy, so i'm hoping to get them basically to invoice or just over. Will post outcome.
  • Options
    somashekarvsomashekarv Member Posts: 4
    HI,

I Was wondering if your 2007 Civic was an LX and Auto? I tried to bargain for the same price but was not successful

Thanks
  • Options
    d0gid0gi Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I got a price from one of the dealer here in our place for a used 2001 Honda Civic LX Sedan, auto, 63,504 miles. Price is $8,788 + tax. Dealer/Carfax report, said the vehicle is clean. Do you think this is a fair price.

First time purchasing a car here.

Thanks.
  • Options
    It is LX Auto . I was able to negotiate the same price (16800 OTD) from 2 dealers in VA/DC/MD area
  • Options
    Try Jim Coleman Honda near Columbia ,MD ask for Han Aydinel . I got Civic LX Auto (VA registered so 3% tax) for around 16850 OTD. You can mention my name if you like, he would recognize

- Garry
  • Options
    These prices are insane. An LX auto for less than $17K OTD ... it's insane! The same car in a 5-speed should cost $800 less! More insanity! That same car is over $2,000 more here in Florida with 6% tax and those damn $599 dealer fees. I guess I'll have to fly up to visit my son in Rockville and buy a car there and drive it home.

That will teach those blood-sucking dealers here in CF.
  • Options
    Well I'm accepting this offer tomorrow...I feel its pretty fair.

Car: $16,199
    PA Tax: $971
    Tags: $125
    Doc Fee: $55
    ------------
    OTD Price: $17,350
  • Options
    somashekarvsomashekarv Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to owners who purchased a Honda or Toyota but didn’t consider purchasing a domestic vehicle (specifically Ford or GM vehicle). Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than July 24, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    rbrad909rbrad909 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 Civic Coupe LX Automatic yesterday (07/16/07) from Norris Honda in Dundalk, MD (near Baltimore). There were no accessories so the invoice for the car was $16,166 (MSRP $17,560). That is not including the $595 freight charge.

We closed the deal with the following numbers:
    Car: $15,704 (~$450 below invoice)
    Freight: $595
    Dealer Fees: $99
    MVA Fees (MD): $211
    Tax (MD 5%): $819.90
    Total Out The Door: $17,428.90

Before we went to Norris Honda, we tried College Park Honda because over the phone they promised to match Norris' price quote and to get the color we wanted. All were empty promises or outright lies to get us in there...they changed the price on us, claimed that the quote from Norris was a scam and didn't have the color car promised to us...Beware of College Park Honda...

However, everything turned around when we went to Norris Honda. I definitely recommend this dealer, they were all very pleasant, gave us free soda while we waited, made us feel very comfortable, and gave us a deal that was hundreds below invoice and quotes from other dealers. They went out of their way and located our preferred color, which was white and is apparently very sparse in the area, and they transported it over 100 miles the same day just for us at no cost...now that is trust. I had called other dealers (Jim Coleman, Northwest, etc...) and they said they could match the price but could not find that color. We hadn't even been to the dealer yet, and when we got there the car was delivered and cleaned before we arrived. We got in the white one and test drove it, but the "ivory" inside colors seemed mismatched and ugly and we ended up going with a black Civic instead. We thought the dealer would be upset after going through all the trouble for us, but they were exactly the opposite, and seemed genuinely concerned that we get exactly what we want. If we purchase another Honda, Norris Honda is definitely at the top of our list to look at first!
  • Options
    rbrad909,

I used the spreadsheet provided over at carbuyingtips.com and got a total price of $17,338 for that car.

You got a good deal ...
  • Options
    sacurasacura Member Posts: 6
    Just got my CIVIC LX 4DR Auto
    16,792/- (includes all fees like doc, dest etc)
    + TAX
    + Title
  • Options
    So what was your OTD price? That is what's most important.