Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• Options
    amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    Wow.....You really sound mixed up! In one paragraph you said:"It has excellent power and handling and it's over $15,000 cheaper", and further down you said:"It's never been about money or finding a deal with me". You're constantly comparing apples and oranges, and two different classes of cars. Your post has too many conflicts!!
    Enjoy your Honda Accord. It IS about money.....admit it!! :confuse:
  • Options
    bobbyshredbobbyshred Member Posts: 44
    Enjoy your Honda Accord. It IS about money.....admit it!!

It's NOT about the money to me. It's about finding the right car that will fit me like a glove.

I don't know any diplomatic way to say this without coming off as pompous, but I can assure you but it doesn't take me very long to earn $15,000. But it is still worth mentioning that I could save that much.
    A nickel is still a nickel.

I'd pay more for the Accord if I had to.
    I mentioned the money in the perspective that if I traded it in just a couple of years I would already be $15, maybe $17,000 ahead than if I bought the Lexus.

My only quandary now seems to be should I get the LX-6 without Nav, or the EX-6 with Nav but it has leather seats, which I'll have to have redone because they have no ventilation and without vents I find leather very hot.

I know I sound confused but it's not easy finding a car you really like.
    I've been to more car dealers than I ever wanted to.

For me, I'm picky and a few small things can kill the deal for me.

Not being able to find a comfortable driving position in the ES is killing the deal for me.

I couldn't see hardly anything out the rear window in the rain because it was so flat.

I felt like I was driving a truck with no rear window and only side mirrors.

The IS was just too tight from side to side for me to live with.

So I'll give the Camry one more fair shot to check out it's comfort.
    But I find it's interior too "Richard Simmons" to me.

I actually really like the Accord for the most part. I wish the ride were just a bit more smoother feeling, the steering a bit lighter and NAV available in a cloth seat model.
    But even with those drawbacks I still like the car.

I can, after all, always buy a portable Nav system I could carry between our two vehicles.
    I can let a slight amount of air out the tires and make the ride a little softer or find tires that are more forgiving and not so stiff.

Have any of you driven the new 6 cyl Accord?
    It takes off like a rocket, the acceleration is amazing. It's a nice car. To me it still has a good bit of luxury even though it's not listed in that "class".

No, the Accord is not perfect. But right now I can't find a car that is.
    Well . . . I drove a Maseratti Quadraporte and that's a REALLY nice car, but I'm not paying $125,000 plus just for basic transportation, even if I could.

I have no car right now, I need one right away so I'm gonna get the Accord I think.
    I'll be back looking at Lexus again in a couple years if they make the comfort better for me.
  • Options
    oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Why don't you test a certified or new LS 430,if that don't
    fill your needs nothing will.
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    For me, I'm picky...

Wow, is that an understatement! Did you re-read your post?! Confused is much more like it! (And you're driving Maseratti's?)

If you can't find a comfortable driving position in the ES350 with the adjustments available in the seating, then no car, regardless of price or options, will satisfy you.
    The word decisive doesn't seem to be in your vocabulary.
  • Options
    psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    Bobby, I don't think it's a car you need but maybe a few sessions with a good mental health professional.

You're all over the damn field here. Lexus, to Honda, to Maseratti???

"Can't find a comfortable position in the driver's seat of an ES"???!!!

Unless you're an arthropod, the ES seats are arguably the most comfortable in the entire auto industry with enough adjustments to accomodate anyone from a dwarf to an and NBA center.

Comparing a Lexus to a Honda?!

What drugs have you been smoking?

If you're just looking for transportation, try a Yugo.

I'm sure you'll find a comfortable seating position there.

Get a grip dude!

:mad:
  • Options
    sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Its important to be able to classify a car in its right class then compare with the rest of the cars in the same class. A honda accord is nowhere near a lexus. You can compare that care with a Hyundai Sonata. In fact, why dont you test drive that car. A Mesarati is probably comparable, although I am not sure, with the Corvette. This is a forum for Lexus ES350 fans. Go for the test drive again, am sure you will love it
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    but I can assure you but it doesn't take me very long to earn $15,000. But it is still worth mentioning that I could save that much.

So it is about the money then...

I'd pay more for the Accord if I had to.

I know this the first time you are buying a new car but if you are willing to pay for more than a V6 accord then you probably want to check out the Acura TL.

My only quandary now seems to be should I get the LX-6 without Nav, or the EX-6 with Nav but it has leather seats

I can "sort of" understand that you are cross-shopping EX-6 with ES350 but if you are considering the LX-6 then I can only say: boy, are you messed up or what!!

I actually really like the Accord for the most part. I wish the ride were just a bit more smoother feeling, the steering a bit lighter and NAV available in a cloth seat model.
    But even with those drawbacks I still like the car.

Again, if money is not an issue for you and you like the Accord then you probably want to go check out the Acura TL.

Have any of you driven the new 6 cyl Accord?
    It takes off like a rocket

I am pretty sure it's not as fast as the IS350.

I have no car right now, I need one right away so I'm gonna get the Accord I think.

Sounds like you are desperate for a car here...Buying a new car is a big decision and the worst case scenario is being hurried. I hope you find what you are looking for in an Accord and won't have buyers' remorse in the near future.

BTW, I may be wrong here but it is just kindda interesting to see a first-time-new-car-buyer actually considering a Maseratti. You just don't see this everyday
  • Options
    tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    So for those that have the ES350 with Nav, don't the 5th generation Navigation have text to speech and announce the street names?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    You should have insisted on brand new rotors. Rotors can typically only be turned once so now when you need a brake job (which will probably be after the warranty period ends), you may have to pay for new rotors out of your own pocket.

Don't necessarily believe the dealer's diagnosis either. He may have just guessed at the cause, replaced the parts and hoped he guessed right. If the noise returns, you'll know he didn't.
  • Options
    dantobiasdantobias Member Posts: 12
    In mine, it announces the name of the Interstate highway (I-95), but doesn't seem to speak out any other road / street names.
  • Options
    ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    It sounds like money isn't the issue for you. That is nice. If you felt comfortable with Accord I would recommend you to try Azera. You will be amazed. The reason I'm telling you this is I recently switched from Accord EX-V6 to Azera. What a difference. Azera has a huge space. Good Luck!
  • Options
    shop4mywifeshop4mywife Member Posts: 36
    We were at the Lexus of Bellevue yesterday. We wanted to buy an Amber ES350 UL package. They did not have one in the lot. But, said we could order one with $5000 deposit and no bargaining 0ff the MSRP and we would have to wait 90 to 120 days. Has anyone else ever seen one of these in a lot in other dealerships in the States?

Instead they pushed us hard to get the same package car in almond color that they had in their lot. They would only budge to $1000 off MSRP for that one.? We read that someone else in this forum was able to get a much better deal. Are the dealers more willing to offer better deals at the end of the month? Or does the timing matter?

But in the end my wife really wanted the Amber and we left without the car.

We tried to find the dealers inventory on the web but not all post theirs. Is there another way to search dealers inventory? Thanks
  • Options
    Our salesman mentioned to us that one of the perks of buying from them is free car washes anytime at their brushless car wash for the life of the car. Is this a standard perk? Is there a list of other standard perks we should know?
  • Options
    carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    I'm sure that nobody that reads this message board is interested in what's happening with Honda or any other car you road test. Please keep this board only for the 2007 ES 350
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    Can you mention the name of the saleperson you worked with?

Thanks Robert
  • Options
    oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    The 07 es only comes with 17" wheels,the 06 had the 16 or 17,the 17 providing better handling but there was a disclaimer stating you may only get 20k miles on these,the
    16's may have provided a better ride,the height of either
    one being the same.I guess now we are stuck with buying
    higher priced tires or buy a set of 16's and try those,I
    wonder how the 07 would ride,I have a 07 brochure and the
    disclaimer is still there.
  • Options
    robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    It is the car manufacturers that in effect establsh the groud rules.Lets face it-the vast majorty that go in the any dealership get hosed. The people on these boards are more knowledgeable about pricing. If you dont know anything-no problem they charge you more so they can charge the next guy less.

Rob
  • Options
    meadoelmeadoel Member Posts: 18
    I have a few questions I'm trying to get answered before I decide to purchase an ES.

1. I mentioned once that I like the Aquamarine Blue but was told it was discontinued. I have checked the online inventory of a few Lexus dealers and none have it in stock. Can anyone confirm if it's still a viable color?

2. Someone asked if the Cruise Control worked in 1MPH increments or 5MPH increments. Does anyone with a new ES know?

3. Can you enter a new address into the NAV while still driving? I believe the GS wouldn't allow you to, unless you entered a complex set of buttons, or paid an installer to open it up for you.

4. I heard a rumor that you can't make a new telephone call using BT while driving. Is that true?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry, we can't post names of salespeople here - see the Rules of the Road linked on the left. Thanks!
  • Options
    I bought an Amber Pearl ES350 UL from Bay Ridge Lexus on May 4th,and I traded in my '03ES300 with 16K miles. This car is fantastic in all respects. People are stopping me to tell me that they love this Amber color, so your wife has excellent taste. Here's a link of some pictures that I took of my new baby: http://members.aol.com/amf1932/ES350combined.jpg
  • Options
    mf94ssmf94ss Member Posts: 3
    My UL car was delivered a few days ago, It sure has been worth the wait! altough all the options and electronics will take some time to get familiar with. I did not look at any other option packages and yes, the leather seats are softer.
    By the way, the Ruby Red color is a definite head turner, some friends have commented it resembles the 60's vintage "candy apple red". Have fun in FLA! :shades:
  • Options
    The arrogance of some of you to put down a person who could consider a Honda after they were thinking of buying a Lexus.
    To imply that I'm mentally ill!

Well, you can keep your pompousness and I'll just go buy the car I like the best.

And to the person who said the V6 Accord wasn't even in the same class as the ES and the IS250 you may be right.
    The Accord V6 is far quicker than either of those cars all through it's torque range.

I drove all three cars in one day and I know which was by fastest the quickest accelerating at all speeds.

If you're looking for me I'll be in my Yugo screaming past you. LOL!
  • Options
    gr8blazerfangr8blazerfan Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    My husband and I bought an ES 350 in the Amber Pearl you are talking about in Portland on Friday the 2nd. It is the only one that we have seen in that color. They all come so different, but this has crome wheels, navigation, but without the Mark Levison stereo and also we wanted the pre-collision package, which they said was not available. They only had 3 on their lot left, silver, white and the amber one. I LOVE the color, which I think my husband went with because I liked it so much. We were told a 3 month wait for black. It is a lot of car for the money.
    We got almost a $1000 off, but that is all. Didn't seem like they were worried about them sitting on the lots, more like they couldn't get enough in quickly enough. But who knows?

Good luck, we love the car and all that it has on it.
  • Options
    gr8blazerfangr8blazerfan Member Posts: 2
    yes, it tells you the main roads, but some of the side roads, it just says turn left or right etc. and how far to go. But freeways, and highways, it names.
  • Options
    et01et01 Member Posts: 5
    What will happen if one accidentally push the Start button while the car is still in motion? Will it damage the transmission? or the car will have the smart not not shut off the engine while the car is still moving forward?
  • Options
    Gee....I was wondering about the same thing, but I think you should test this out and report back your findings. :D
  • Options
    dlf2dlf2 Member Posts: 3
    Rob, take a visit to Muvico in Boca, there are 2 Lexus's (or is it Lexi) parked in front... that is were I got my lead to a better price.
  • Options
    amf1932 and gr8blazerfan,

Thank you for sharing your experience here. Love the pics, amf, were you able to get some $$ off the MSRP? Gr8, we talked to a Saleman in Portland yesterday and he told us that they just sold an Amber with PL package, so it is you! Don't we all love the internet?!
  • Options
    cablondebluecablondeblue Member Posts: 72
    It usually doesn't take me this long to pick a car color. That's because I usually have the cars in all the different colors laid out before me like a buffet. I have yet to see the Blue Onyx or Smoky Granite. I finally saw the Moonshell...LOL. It kind of looked silvery at first until the dealer pulled it around for me....EKKK! It shimmered PINK in the sun! My friends would never let me live that one down, even if I am a girly girl. I did see the Crystal White which really caught my eye. (This wasn't even a color I was originally considering.) The color first caught my interest when I saw these pictures that someone posted:

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214581

Picture that with tinted windows. Mmm mmm mmm! And I don't have to worry about washing it either. LOL I still want to see the other few colors I haven't seen yet before making my final decision.

BTW, you guys are pretty funny on here. Love some of the sarcastic humor. ;)
  • Options
    We have a question about the tinted windows. The ES350s that we saw at the dealership aren't very dark; they have some shade, but not as dark as on the pictures on the lexus.com. Are tinted windows special order? Thanks
  • Options
    No, the tinted windows are not special order. You can either request the dealers to put it on before delivery or afterward tint it yourself (or have someone tint it for you). When I took the delivery of my IS350 I had the dealer to put it on for me (they usually take it out to have someone else do it for them). I recommend the ceramic tint, although it's more expensive but it absorbs heat better (strongly recommended if you have black interior).
  • Options
    Thank you, Louis.

Did you have the dealer to throw in the tinted windows or did you have to pay for it?
  • Options
    For those who purchased from out of State dealership and had the car shipped to you, did you skip the test driving process? Any advices would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I paid extra for it. If I were you I'll ask for it, maybe your sales is nicer than mine. ;)
  • Options
    maybe your sales is nicer than mine

I am not sure about that. lol. They all want our money, as much money as possible. :D
  • Options
    Do yourself a favor - take it out yourself and have it tinted by the same place who contracts with your dealer to tint the cars. I saved a bit over $200 and it was the same quality work.
  • Options
    robynlrobynl Member Posts: 38
    Same here. It has been very hard to pick color due to the fact that there are so few colors represented on the lot where I live. And who can pick from the brochure swatches?????? In reference to the white. Very sharp on the ES, ( saw those pics also) that is my second color choice. I have decided that I would like the Ruby (first color I saw in the showroom when it first came out and LOVED it ). There are also pictures of the Ruby that someone posted when they got theirs - very sharp!!! The smokey granite is very sharp and has alot of sparkle.
    What is your first choice right now?
  • Options
    cablondebluecablondeblue Member Posts: 72
    Without seeing Smoky Granite or Blue Onyx "in the flesh" as one of you put it, I am not sure what my first choice would be. At one time, I thought I wanted Tungsten Pearl until I saw it on the lot and it didn't have enough sparkle for me, kind of flat. (Just my opinion-not to step on any toes.) One of you said the Aquamarine was discontinued. The dealer hasn't even seen it. From the pictures on the brochure and the internet, which I cannot rely on, I love the Blue Onyx but have not been able to see it in person. Not sure about the Ruby Red....haven't seen it on the ES. I usually think red (or redish) belongs on a two door sports car. (Again, just my opinion.) To answer your question of what is my first choice right now.....(my favor of the week?) Crystal White, until I see something else that captures my interest. :P
  • Options
    cc2010cc2010 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have a picture of what the ES 350 looks like, after the body moldings are put on? Does it ruin the look?
  • Options
    If we are receiving price quotes through email, does anyone know how long they stand valid under law until they are expired?
  • Options
    psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    ***If we are receiving price quotes through email, does anyone know how long they stand valid under law until they are expired?***

I don't think there's any legal obligation on the part of a seller to honor them whatsoever. There's no "contract" in place to be enforced here.

I just think it's good business practice to honor your word.

But if you believe you can enforce such things legally I think you are sadly mistaken. ;)
  • Options
    dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    Offer can be withdrawn until you accept and even then I'd have it in writing via fax or email if fax isn't available. You also need to have a reasonable amount of time to get them a deposit etc. I've had one sold out from under me before locally let alone out of state
  • Options
    cyclopsstancyclopsstan Member Posts: 24
    My dealer has an 'aqua' and when I stopped by there today to get my personal settings adjusted, I asked them about it & he said they special ordered it for delivery with their 1st shipment. They have it in the showroom and it looks very nice, but I bet out in the sun it will sparkle like a blue diamond, a bit too bright for me and the flash seems to fit the ruby much better IMHO. My dealer said it was defineately the brightest color Lexus has ever used and he was suprised that it hadn't sold yet. So of the 1st 7 they got, my ruby which I had a deposit on, 1 of the 2 almond (the other is their test car) a tungsten & yes a moonshell have sold, while the amber & aqua are still available. They have also sold 2 more ruby's, 1 they had on another isle and the other 1 is the only ruby they have in their 2nd shipment. ( All of the cars are premium or prem. plus, as Nav & sat. radio are not available in Hawaii, thus we'll never see the UL package :cry: )
  • Options
    tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    It's kind of funny, but I have always maintained that there is never a reason to buy a car more expensive or different than an Accord or Camry. How could you ever go wrong with one of those 2 cars? Of course, though, that logic is inherently flawed. The Accord is an amazing car, and does almost everything well. Not the least of which it is more reliable than many cars almost twice it's price (i.e MB). However, like everything else there is always a choice to spend more for a luxury/prestige item. Why would you ever buy a Rolex when a Seiko (or a Timex) works just as well. In fact, they both keep better time than a Rolex. But, there is no way you can argue that the Seiko is better simply it costs less and keeps better time, because the rarity/prestige factor also has its price. Likewise, even if a V6 Accord is faster and cheaper does not make it better than a Lexus. By the same logic, a Ford Mustang falls into that category as well. Whether it is worth it to you is an individual decision. To me, the ES350 is virtually a perfect mix of luxury, styling, reliability, performance, and technology. As such, I feel it is clearly worth the premium over the Accord. Now only if they didn't charge for XM I would be much happier with Lexus. But so it goes.

PS- The only reason I entered this discussion was that prior to the release of the ES350 I was planning on buying a V6 Accord EX with Navi, because I was so disappointed in everything else out there. I looked at the TL, G35x, 330ix, ES330 , RL , M35x and GS (poor headroom - odd that identical headroom on ES350 feels so different). Talk about a huge price range! All had their individual problems that didn't make it worth the premium to me over the Accord. However, I think the ES350 fills the bill that these other cars didn't. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    The local dealer nearest to where I live had a white ES 350 on display with body side molding. Of course it wasn't the Lexus accessory which I have been told (by a salesman) will be available mid July. THe kit will retail for $130 and $69 for each side molding.Total $268. It looked very nice on the car i saw.
  • Options
    neuroguyneuroguy Member Posts: 34
    The free car wash is also a perk at my dealership. Other nice perks, when taking the car in for service, is a huge plasma TV to watch, free sodas, coffee, pastries, etc., free high-speed internet, comfy leather chairs, local paper and WSJ, free loaner car if you want, or "express" routine service by appt. that takes less than an hour. As for the loaner, they try to give you the same model you own, but I was offered an RX once and it was a nice change-of-pace. (This contrasts with the local Jag dealer who had me drive a Chevy S-10 pickup for two weeks when I had my '02 X-Type in for yet another fix.) Another perk I got when buying - instead of the free keychains that were offered, I asked for a golf shirt instead. (Don't need any keychains and got a golf shirt last time I bought there.) :D
  • Options
    I like your post. It's honest and to the point.

To let you know I drove the Accord V6 again this morning and I finally bought it in graphite gray, with a wing spoiler which looks amazing.

Four years of casual car looking and 2 years of serious car shopping finally came to an end, and I'm relieved.

I know I pretty much looked at every car out there and carefully considered them.

I really, really wanted the Lexus but since I had a hard time getting comfortable in it, it just wasn't the car for me.

I didn't get the Nav. First off that came only in the leather version and all along I really wanted fabric seats.

Secondly I like the look of the stock stereo.

Third I really didn't need the Nav, but it would just have been a nice toy to have.
    Maybe I'll buy a handheld model I can carry between our two vehicles.

The Accord V6 is wicked fast and the car handles great so I'm very happy with it.
    To me, compared to my old 93 Camry, it IS a luxury car.

As you said the reliability and resale value is excellent on these cars.

One cool thing I got was the Music Link setup for the iPod which operates your iPod right from the stereo head.

At some point if I feel the need to I may put in a bit more audio power, and better speakers, but I will probably keep the head unit as I like it.
    While not "amazing" I think the stereo sounds pretty good the way it is.

Last year when I drove this car I really liked it but I thought the ride was too hard.
    But in my last two test drives I didn't find that to be the case. Maybe the cars I drove last year had too much air in the tires.

I figure if I find the ride hard or the road noise higher than I like I could put on a set of tires like the Goodyear ComfortTreds which are supposed to smooth the ride out and be very quiet.

After all I just saved a lot of money so if I want to buy better tires or add some stereo equipment I won't feel bad spending the money.

One day I'd still like to buy a Lexus or an Acura. But until I find one of them perfect for me I'll keep this car.

In 2008 the new Accord and Acura TL will come out and if it is really a huge improvement that competes with the Lexus maybe I'll buy one. Or maybe I'll wait until the ES or IS is upgraded and I'm really comfortable in one.

For now I'm very happy with what I bought and it's nice to hear a person like you speak the truth about that what I have always agreed with in that a Camry or and Accord is all you really need in a car.

The rest is just luxury, which is nice, but not necessary to get you from here to there in comfort and style.

I hope all of you enjoy your Lexus's. They are great cars. I truly wish I could have bought one, but it simply didn't work out for me this time. I'm happy with what I got.
  • Options
    cleblanccleblanc Member Posts: 45
    Bobby, Congratulations on your purchase. I know it was a long and difficult decision for you. I hope you will be happy with it. I used to own a 92 Camry and my husband drives a 2001 Accord and they are both great cars. Good luck!
  • Options
    nyarlathotepnyarlathotep Member Posts: 20
    Sorry, I posted this before but didn't get an answer...
    In the Infinti M35 the changer shuffles not only through one CD but ALL 6 discs. Does the new ES350 have this capability? Thanx!
This discussion has been closed.