Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    raider23raider23 Member Posts: 8
    couldnt get them any lower, guess I'm not as good a negotiator as some of the pros on here! :) Got the car for 20,745 plus TT&L, I got them to throw in window tinting and they also did a full detail.

It is willow gray with the gray interior and is a very nice car. My wife loves it and I believe we are definitely hooked on the XM radio.
  • Options
    dhansukdhansuk Member Posts: 4
    I have had Sonata 09 just for 4 days and I see there is small leak which looks like power steering fluid, after I drive out of the garage every morning. I took it to the dealer and they say there is no leak. Is anyone haveing this problem.
    It is very discouraging when the car is only 4 days old and under 50 miles done.
    I hope someone will have some advice on this issue
  • Options
    wrs4wrs4 Member Posts: 17
    Are you shure its not water from the AC drain.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response. No this thing is sticky as well, but not as thick as oil.
    There is water from AC too, that is slight away from the Oil like spot on the floor.
    I don,t what to do.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Are you sure they didn't top off some fluids or something when they prepped your car and maybe leaked something that eventually dripped off onto your floor?

If you're sure, lay a clean white cloth or towell under where you think it is dripping from. Take that cloth with you to the dealer and demand that it be fixed. I have two vehicles that are 5 and 6 years old and they don't drip anything.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Put a paper towel on the ground, under the leak overnight. With the evidence in hand, ask the service guy to tell you again that "there is no leak".
  • Options
    yitzyitz Member Posts: 6
    On my 2009 Sonata LTD the manual says the AC is on when the outside termp is over 35.
    How can I run the system without the A/C being on in Spring or Winter? The system is automatic
  • Options
    I just wanted to up date you guys, I did exactly as you said, I put a pan underneath the car collected all the leak overnight, and took it Huffines of Plano, Tx. I went there and showed them the leak, now they said leave the car and they will check it out. After they kept the car they found that the sealer was omitted on the sealing surface, of the pan of the Oil This is what they said "" Screen Assembly Leaking Oil sealer Skips and omitted on Sealing Surface, removed and resealed properly """
    I just got it back , I will report back if it still leaks.

FYI NO apology from them, as when I took it first time they flatly denied any leak, and they made me look as if I was making it up.

Even today when I showed them the oil I had collected, the gay asked me as me " Is this Oil from this Car" like saying I collected from some other car.

Beware of doing any business with Huffines of Plano.
  • Options
    Glad you got your leak fixed.

Even today when I showed them the oil I had collected, the gay asked me as me " Is this Oil from this Car" like saying I collected from some other car

How did you know he was gay? ;)
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    LMAO!
  • Options
    coldglcoldgl Member Posts: 15
    My dealer said the feature is automatic on the 2009. After locking the car with the key fob and then unlocking it with the valet key, the trunk release switch is deactivated. It is still unclear if the rear seat latches are also deactivated. I have an appointment Monday to get this feature fixed on my Sonata. The sales staff got it to work on a Sonata on the showroom floor but mine doesn't work.
  • Options
    sharksoupsharksoup Member Posts: 26
    Anyone have any insight into the tire pressure monitoring system?

I'm considering buying an extra set of steel wheels to mount snow tires. Made a few calls, including the dealership. Found that the base steel wheels are about $70 BUT the TPMS units are an additional $55 each - makes the setup cost $500. Needless to say, I'm rethinking that option as it seems a bit expensive.

Went on to question dealership further and was told that should I swap off the tires on the factory rims, I'll have to make a trip to the dealership to have the TPMS reset. Any experience with places like Sears or Walmart resetting the TPMS if it's needed? Or will the computer "learn" the setting over again if the tires are swapped?

Of course the alternative is to just forgot about the TPMS during the time I have winter tires on - then would likely have to live with a dash light being on all the time.
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    But then you will have to add them back to your regluar wheels. Yes you will get a light. It might just be cheaper to get the TPMS. Since taking them on and off can get just as expensive. Then you won't have to worry about the TPMS.
  • Options
    I used to think I wanted the TPMS....now I'm wondering if the system is more bother than it's worth. I don't have any trouble keeping my tires inflated and by the time the TPMS system told me a tire was low I probably would have noticed it anyway.
  • Options
    yitzyitz Member Posts: 6
    I tried it on my sonata and the trunk opened with the switch no matter what I did. Let me know what happens.
  • Options
    I brought my Sonata to the dealer yesterday to have them diagnose/repair the lockout function because the sales staff said all '09 Sonatas should have this. Their method of dealing with this was to confirm that there were no lockout knobs on the rear seats and checking other vehicles on their lot. Since some vehicles had the function and others did not, they told me mine doesn't have the function. They apparently did not do an electronic check. I plan to pursue it further as I feel it is an integral system when they issue a valet key with the vehicle.
  • Options
    jm1996jm1996 Member Posts: 10
    Bought my 09 Sonota in May. Noticed that it smelled like B.O. the next day and every sunny day thereafter. Dealer service has confirmed that he has three others that hove come in with the same issue. Dealer service says its a problem in the front door moldings that the manufacturer is looking into fixing. But no solution yet.

Looking for additional input from any one else who's in this predicament...and you definitely know who you are!
  • Options
    today, the salesman who sold me the 2009 Sonata GLS told me he was contacting Hyundai regarding the automatic valet trunk lockout feature. He believes that it is a standard feature and not an option because a check of Hyundai cars on the lot showed that most had the feature but that higher end Sonatas like the GLS did not. Hence, we feel it is a factory defect and Hyundai should fix it. My check of the Hyundai website showed that this feature is not listed as an option on any Hyundai. Therefore, it should be standard and operational. We're waiting for a reply from the Hyundai representative.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The GLS Sonata has been the base trim (not higher end) since, I think, the 2007 model year.
  • Options
    krishnakonlinekrishnakonline Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Recently bought a 2009 Sonata limited V6 with NAV, ......and now its 350 plus miles and since past 2 days... the engine cries like anything....when I start the engine and till the time it reaches 0-30 mph(with jerks while it shifts the gears), it feels like I am driving a used car/truck. Real terrible...no pickup...even if its a V6.

One of the dealers said it needs 89 Ocatne gas....I should not put 87 Ocatne..where as my user manual... it says 87 Octane gas is fine.

Where as the dealer from whom I bought the car asked me to get the car tomow. to their service center..... as they said they r going to fix it..if not then replace the car.
    Where as its not typically expected of a new car, if it really passed Quality tests.....

Let me know if anyone had similar problem in the past......??
  • Options
    the salesman told me yesterday that Hyundai is aware of the valet trunk lockout problem. I am waiting for a return call from a Hyundai customer relations person specifically assigned to deal with this problem.
  • Options
    If anyone had that kind of a problem with any new car it would be back at the dealer immediately and getting fixed. That dealer comment about 89 octane fuel was stupid. I hope that might have been a salesman and not a technician. If it was a tech I would change dealers. I assume you would have several to choose from in the Bay area.

One thing that I can think of is that you got some very bad gas.....by that I mean water in it.
  • Options
    krishnakonlinekrishnakonline Member Posts: 8
    Thanks m6.....its quite unusual...as I filled the tank with Regular gas from Exxon. and today I put some Prem.(91 Octane) gas in the evening as the tank was 1/4 empty..its slight better....but not noticeable change...in the noise.

Lets see tomorrow, what the other dealer(from whom I bought the car) has to say ...
  • Options
    budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Is the bluetooth available from Hyundai on new Sonatas (and Azeras) able to mute the radio in the vehicle? (And does it take away use of the sunglass holder?)

If not, is there any other bluetooth system out there that can be installed in the Sonata or Azera to be able to mute the radio automatically?

Will Hyundai ever get a normal factory installed bluetooth (and not a "PIO" option)?

Bud H
  • Options
    1. No, it's not able to mute the radio.
    2. Yes, you lose the sunglass holder to have it installed in it's place.
    3. Yes, there are several. Go to Parrot.com. They seem to be a respected supplier and have several different models that will mute your radio, have the caller come over your car speakers, can upload your phones directory, etc. Some can use voice commands. They run about $100-200 plus installation. There are also numerous rechargeable bluetooth speakerphone devices that don't mute your radio but work well and can be moved from car to car for about $75-$100.
    4. I'm sure that Hyundai will get some intergrated bluetooth system in the very near future. Nearly all midsize cars will have them at a fairly reasonably cost within 2 or 3 years. The demand is there and the higher end brands/models have had systems for years which are now filtering down to the family sedans.
  • Options
    dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    Well after owning my V6 Limited for five months I can say the car is fantastic. It's everything everyone else has been raving about with the 09, such as the quiet, comfortable ride, the improved suspension and steering, the amazing interior redesign, silky smooth V6 and automatic transmission, and the amazing fuel economy in both the 4 cylinder and V6 models. However the devil is in the details and I think there were a couple of details Hyundai missed with the 09 refresh. Here is my list of items that should have at least come standard on the upscale Limited model:

1. Engine immobilizer - It's amazing to me in this day and age of high car thefts Hyundai would not use technology that can be found on a $14,000 Honda Civic. Our rinky dink alarm system won't stop a determined thief from easily stealing this car, and that worries me.

2. Power passenger seat - The new Honda Accord EX-L has it, the new Mazda 6 has it, the new Chevy Malibu LTZ has it, and I believe the top line Camry has it too.

3. Auto up/down passenger window - Again, most of the competition has this feature too, Hyundai needed to make it standard as well.

4. Rear door pockets - This would have been a really nice touch. You can never have too many storage bins in a family sedan (and I don't even have a family!).

5. Bluetooth - No, I'm not talking about the dealer install option that takes the place of the sunglass holder, but a true integrated solution. I understand the 2010 model will have true Bluetooth integration, and it kind of pisses me off this wasn't on the 09. I love my sunglass holder, use it all the time to keep both my sunglasses and eye glass safetly tucked away. Thus, the dealer installed option is not an option for me.

That's it. That's my 5 item wish list. I would be curious to know if others feel the same, and what feature/s they feel Hyundai should have included in the 09 refresh. See, this is what happens when I get bored waiting for girlfriend to get off work. :D
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    In lieu of those five items why not consider getting a rich girlfriend who doesn't have to work.
  • Options
    dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    "In lieu of those five items why not consider getting a rich girlfriend who doesn't have to work."

Nice one. LOL! Trust me, I would have no problem with that. I'm all for women's lib, if she has the money to take care of me, great! However for now it's the other way around.
  • Options
    themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the iPod works when connected via USB to a Sonata with the DVD Navigation system. What appears on the video screen? Do you get full song/artist/album info? Can you select your different playlists? What functionality over the iPod do you have?

I was not impressed with the Jetta hookup. You can only see the first 5 playlists and it does not display any song information on the radio display. I'm hoping the Sonata does a better job.

Thanks,
    Merg
  • Options
    raider23raider23 Member Posts: 8
    I have heard negative things about them as well. We went to Huffines McKinney for our purchase same family of dealerships but we had a great experience. Ask for Larry McCarthy if you start using them.
  • Options
    Its has been 1 week since they repaired the oil leak, so far so good , no leak.
    They call for survey, I gave them piece of my mind so to speak. They said management will call, but they never did.
    I hope I had bought my Sonata from somewhere else other then Huffines of Plano.
  • Options
    No video integration but you will need the special Hyundai iPod cable. Only 29.99 at your local dealer. Part number is 08620-2L000. It will give it full integration just like an iPod. Works on 4th generation and up iPod's with the latest firmware. Shows what song you are playing. The cable is really no big deal. It might be tempting to use the USB cable that came with the iPod but just buy that special cable.
  • Options
    I have no problem with it not having video. I just want to have full control over the iPod, such as pause/ff/rw and previous/next song. Also, does it allow access to your PlayLists? If so, how does it do that?

Thanks,
    Merg
  • Options
    Yes you do get full control of the iPod. It does exactly everything you said as long as you buy the special cable. Same with the 09 Jetta. The 09 Jetta with nav has an MDI that can play iPod if you buy it's special cable.
  • Options
    Terrific. That's what I was looking for. As for the Jetta, a salesman told me that you do have control of everything except for your playlists, kinda. You can access your first six playlists as they take up the preset buttons, but you cannot access any more than that.

- Merg
  • Options
    The 2009 Jetta with the redesigned RNS-510 has full iPod integration via the MDI and it's special cable. That cable is only in Europe since the US parts system has it on backorder. The MDI and the iPod cable gives it full integration as well. The RNS-510 is the new navigation system being offered in all 2009 VW's
  • Options
    Maybe that was the issue then. I test drove one without the navigation system. The salesman that was helping me stated he hadn't even seen one of the 2009 Jetta's with the navigation system in it even though it is obviously an available option. That being said, I liked my test drive of the 2009 Sonata better. It seemed to have more room inside and I didn't feel cramped, which I did in the Jetta even though I'm a short guy.

- Merg
  • Options
    I think I saw a post about this before, but can't find it now...

How does the Bluetooth system work with the Navigation system? Can you access your contacts or dial using the Navigation screen? Or is the Bluetooth system completely separate and only works via voice commands?

Thanks,
    Merg
  • Options
    Completely separate.
  • Options
    When you use the Bluetooth, what speaker does it use? I saw the little microphone near the visor. Is that also a speaker?

Just trying to figure out if the Bluetooth feature is even worth it or if I should just continue to use my little Bluetooth Earbud.

- Merg
  • Options
    moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I would avoid it. It's an expensive addon that doesn't integrate and uses your sunglasses holder. Go with your earbud until a fully integrated version comes out.
  • Options
    rhonasrhonas Member Posts: 11
    I do have the Bluetooth on the 2.4 GLS and it is pretty useful, since anyone in the family has got a Bluetooth cellphone and use them while driving or as a passenger. It recognizes up to 5 cells at a time if I do recall correctly. I paid below invoice for it (280)
  • Options
    Where's the speaker for it?

- Merg
  • Options
    rhonasrhonas Member Posts: 11
    The speaker and microphone are on the Bluetooth unit itself
  • Options
    Just get a stand alone unit that clips on the visor. Good ones can be had for about $70-$90. The battery lasts something like 800 hours on standby before charging, 10 hours talk time, have good sound quality and can sync with up to 3-5 cell phones. Some automatically turn on when they detect your cell and turn off after you leave the car. They do not intergrate with the car stereo system or speakers but for the price work great. I have one and you can move use it in different cars. They are about as good as the unit you can get from Hyundai and they don't take up your sunglass holder. For an example go here:

www.myblueant.com
  • Options
    A local shop installed the same bluetooth into my '08 Sonata as the dealer or his out-source shop will install on a '09 Sonata. I also happen to have a Parrot 4200 in our Ford Explorer, and also have a Garmin Nuvi with built-in bluetooth that can be used in either vehicle.

First of all, the Garmin bluetooth is basically unusable due to poor audio quality. It also only integrates with the car audio system if you happen to be playing the audio from the Nuvi over your car radio via the FM transmitter. If you live anywhere near a large city, you're not going to find a clear FM channel to play the Nuvi thru. Forget the Nuvi bluetooth IMHO.

The Parrot does integrate with, and silence, the Explorer radio using the radio mute input on the radio. Therefore, the radio will automatically mute when a call comes in or you make an outbound call. The audio will come from the car speakers. The Parrot can also be removed when you sell the car, but certainly doesn't look very "integrated" into the dash. The Parrot is voice operated although you're going to have to do a moderate amount of repeating in order for it to understand.

The dealer installed bluetooth is made by Johnson Controls and is available online for $250 or so. The unit is not voice activated so you'll have to mute the radio with the steering wheel lever and push the button on the unit to initiate a call. After the initial "wake-up" button push, the unit does understand voice prompts. Not a big deal to accomplish. You can set the Johnson unit up to auto answer incoming calls, but you'll still have to mute the radio. Despite the small built-in speaker, I'd say the audio is slightly better from the Johnson unit than the Parrot. Of course, the Johnson unit looks better installed than the Parrot. I never used the overhead cubby for sunglasses, anyway.

Yes, you could have a Parrot installed into your Hyundai and get the auto mute function and audio thru the speakers.

They are both good, functional units. If I were forced to chose one or the other, I'd pick the Johnson unit because of the audio quality and appearance.

One final suggestion, don't get 2 different type units if you're doing installations in multiple cars. The operational differences will drive you nuts.
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    What does the Auto Volume Control setting do on the Sonata Nav/Sound menu? I can't seem to figure out what it actually does

thanks
  • Options
    It's a form of Speed sensitive volume control. It seems to adjust the volume based on how fast you are going.
  • Options
    earbuckleearbuckle Member Posts: 16
    My dad just took delivery of his new 2009 Limited with Nav. He bought the "eyeglass holder" Bluetooth, and it works quite well. Not integrated with the Nav. Neither are the HVAC controls, but that is not a big deal, since all the dedicated buttons and controls are right there.

As for the Nav screen, it shows program information for the XM channels as well as FM stations broadcasting RDBS data. It plays and displays song info from USB drives and MP3 CDs. As a bonus, it also allows you to watch DVDs while you are parked. He didn't get the iPod cable, so we didn't try hooking up my iPod. It'd be cool if the display would allow you to see pictures or video from a connected iPod, but I don't know if it will or not. Still, the DVDs look pretty cool, with full menus and control. Also didn't try a CD with JPGs on it; don't know if the display will show photos or not, but it might. The whole system comes across as very well thought out. It'll be interesting to see if Hyundai adds any other functions via the "upgrade" function or just new maps. BTW, the Nav function is easy to use and works well.

The GPS reception and XM reception is very solid. The AM/FM radio also performs well. We were listening to KSL in Salt Lake City one evening from the LA area. And the RDBS data display is more complete, and useful, than that of the Prius rental I was driving.

For $1250 list, the Navigation option is a real bargain. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    npolitenpolite Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know if the RDBS data shows up on the non-navigation model?