Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• In 1998 Venture, I have a clicking noise up front. Stops when brakes are applied or with right turn. Have checked brakes, no problems found.
  • Referring to message #602, has anyone else had this clicking noise?
  • has anyone had a problem with the automatic van door? I inadvertently grabbed the inside handle of the door while it was opening and it didn't stop. broke 3 bones, needed surgery. ended up with 6 screws and a rod in my hand.
  • My wife and I bought a 2000 WB Edition Chevy Venture about 3 months ago. Overall, we are very happy with the van (about 3000 miles so far). It's does a great job of transporting our 3 kids around town and so far we've had no mechanical problems with the vehicle. Since I'm convinced that GM employees and designers often "lurk" in these pages, I'm going to use this opportunity to note a few items that we don't like about the vehicle. Prospective buyers shouldn't take these items the wrong way. I'm simply airing a few gripes. I'd buy the vehicle again tomorrow. However, there's nothing like a little customer feedback to improve a product.

Here are my "Dis-Likes"
    1. The "leather" seats in the WB Edition van are not predominately leather. There is a tremendous amount of cloth on the seat which completely negates all the advantages of buying a "leather" seat.

2. The WB Edition comes with 5 captain's seats. The 3 in the middle row string together to form a "bench" seat. The 2 seats in the rear row can be positioned in either the second row or in the rear row. However, the two outboard seats in the middle row will not go in the rear row (It states this on a sticker right under the seat). WHY!!!??? The reason this is so frustrating is that the outboard seats in the middle row also both contain the integrated child seats. The GM design prevents me from using the integrated child seats in the rear row. It's completely perplexing why it was designed this way.

3. The cupholders for the front passengers (driver and 1st passenger) are a joke. This is a minivan, not a sports car. We need more/better cupholders. In fact, with a full van (all seats occupied) there are a total of 3 cupholders (for 7 people) in the entire van!! This is just downright silly. My SUV that holds 7people, has 9 cupholders.

4. I hate daytime running lamps. If I want my lights on, I'll turn them on myself.

5. Please give me a drivers seat with 2 real armrests (like the Astro van). The door is not a comfortable rest for my left arm.

6. When you fill up with gas and reset the overhead trip computer, you have to reset each and every parameter. What a pain. Make every parameter reset with one switch (like the early models did).

7. I need a driver's side power sliding door. (Addressed on 2001 model).

8. Both rear seat (3rd row) audio controls are only accessible to passenger seated on R side of van. Designer obviously didn't have teenage kids.

9. Handle on rear hatch is flimsy. It's been replaced twice (under warranty). Now I just don't use it since I know it will just tear again.

10. I don't like driving vehicles without full size spare tires, especially with the entire family onboard. A full size spare needs to be an option.

11. Where's the tachometer?

12. I sure would prefer cruise control buttons on the steering wheel (instead of the over-populated blinker stem). While I'm on the subject, a cruise "cancel" switch would be nice.

Here are a few of my Likes:
    1. The entertainment system is great.
    2. Fuel economy vs my SUV is great.
    3. Dual climate controls is great. 3 zone (ala Chrysler) is overkill.
    4. Thank you for putting a compressor switch on the climate controls.
    5. I sure like the rear compressor / inflator system. Why isn't there a compartment to store my inflator hose?
    6. Engine power/torque is acceptable. Good acceleration for merging etc...
    7. Suspension seems fine. Nice ride
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    The front cup holders have been taken from the side of the passenger seat and put on front console knocking out the ash tray/lighter. For the smokers, you must my a kit from the dealer of an ash tray that fits in the cupholder. Believe you also get a lighter to use in the spare outlet.

I would add to the list (believe does not apply to WB) the loosey goosey CD drawer which slides out, but must be engaged in a slot on the lid. The segments for holding the CD are quite tight and if the CD case is not shut tight it will not fit.
  • We bought the van about 1 year ago and this serious problem starts about 1-2 months. The van will die at lower speed, for example, in a parking lot. It happened about 2-3 times and it really concern me and my wife who drives it. A dealer checked it out but they didn't find anything.

The other funny thing is erratic movement of the temp. gauage up to 3/4 of the dial but the dealer confirms this is normal behavier as the fan will kick in at higher temp to save gas.
  • My '97 Venture has a vibration problem when the wind speed over the van gets to 80-85 mph. That can be 65 driving into a 15 to 20 mph head wind, any combination that reaches that speed.

It sounds like it comes from the luggage rack, but there is nothing loose that we can tighten. I suppose it could be a resonance frequency in the roof itself (how would you fix THAT). We asked the dealer about it after we had it a year, but they knew nothing about any complaints to GM. It is LOUD, and about the same timbre as a jackhammer.

I don't know if anyone else has posted about this. I read back about a hundred posts, but can't read all 600. Any help would be appreciated.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Have you tried removing the crossbars from the roof rack? Not only will that reduce aerodynamic drag and safe you some fuel, but it may eliminate your wind buffering problem. If you need the crossbars, try moving them to different positions.

Good luck!
    Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • We have the long wheelbase Venture without the roof rack and have not experienced any vibrations/noise at high speed. I have a bug deflector that DOES become rather noisy when driving in a strong headwind.
  • I have the 1998 Venture van that 'had' daytime running lights and I found them to be a real pain. I found it strange that the headlight switch shows "Off,Park Lights, and Full On , but I had no control, they are controlled from the dash mounted photo resistor. I'm not the kind of person that needs everything done for me, and I don't drive around without headlights when they are needed. I solved the 'automatic headlights" problem the day I got my van, it's a simple wiring fix, within easy reach, that anyone could do in about 5 minutes. The wiring change will not void any warrantee, is quickly reversible if desired and the light switch works the way I think it should. Chevy should stop treating consumers like idiots and calling their designs "improvements" more like what they really are...inconveniences.

Xcusme
  • My 98 venture is slow to heat up and provide passenger heating. Anyone else experiencing similar?
  • Any owners experience electrical problem? My sister's Venture (4 yrs old) system is on the blink - ran through 2 batteries, traction control not working, then even the lights wouldn't come on, car wouldn't start - and has been in the shop for diagnostics with nothing known yet. Anyone else have this experience? Know what to look for? Appreciate any info!
  • Gzoomer,

There is a TSB regarding the lack of heat in 98 Ventures, I know I have the same problem. The dealer replaced the thermostat and made a modification to the heater hose at the inlet of the heater core. Seems GM had a bright idea, put a flow restrictor in the inlet hose to the front heater core to build static pressure in the line so that more hot coolant went to the rear heater core (rear Ax heater). It must have looked good on the computer but leaves much to be desired in real life. By the way, I think they should have addressed the issue of insulation on the hot water lines to the rear heater core, the lines go all the way to the back and then all the way back to the engine, exposed to below freezing temps with wind chill effects, without any insulation at all, now tell me that doesn't have anything to do with heat loss.
  • My '97 Venture has been blowing/shorting electrical things for the last 3 months. I now have a bad break control module for my TCS, a bad fuel gauge sending unit, and a short in my radio causing it to lose memory and enable the lockout feature. My dealer/mechanic doesn't know why. Also, my car is completely dead - no dome lights or anything sometimes, and then other times it's fine. The dealer/mechanic can't repeat that problem and diagnostics show that there is no drain on the battery when the car is turned off. I told him to keep looking for WHY the shorts are occurring - anyone else with any ideas of why, after 4 years, my van is shorting out?
  • I also have a clicking noise. Dealer found that a cable was loose under the car and reattached it. It was quiet for a while and then, after going over RR tracks started clicking again. I found that it comes and goes, I've tried using nylon cable ties to tie it down too, with moderate success.
  • We're looking to buy our first minivan and have really liked the '98 Chevy Venture. OK '98 owners, what do you think? Please give us your input. Consumer Reports doesn't rate it well, but Edmunds does. These messages here are mixed. What gives?
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    You may want to have a look at Edmunds' 1998 minvan comparo, which includes the Pontiac Montana, the Venture's sister van (the Oldsmobile Silhouette is also the Venture's sister van).

If you're interested in crash test reports, check out the IIHS's 40mph crash tests (click on a vehicle name for a detailed report and pictures) and http://www.crashtest.com

Good luck!

Drew
    Host of Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bigd01bigd01 Posts: 3
    Looking to replace my Dodge Caravan with a 2000 Venture, LS model. Have heard the Venture is not dependable but I've drove the vehicle and like the way it handles.

Any in-sight on this vehicle would be appreciated...will these vans go the distance or are they "throw aways"?

Thanks for your advise.

Big D01
  • greg32greg32 Posts: 48
    We have a 1997 Venture extended with most of the upgrades, 41k miles. Our biggest problem to date has been the battery. It went out at 37k miles fortunately it was at home but we had it towed and had the dealer put in a new battery at our expense since the battery is only garenteed for one year. This cleared up our intermittant power sliding door problem. It wouldn't close every once in a while. Not a real problem. The only other issue we have with the car is the windows squeak when going over bump roads. This can be fixed with silicon gel applied to the window seals, but I need to do it more often than I do. I would probably buy the car again. The main reason we bought it was because of the way it handled. Definitely superior to any mini van out at the time.

Good luck!
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    Chevy 2000 and since the cold weather on East Coast the Low Coolant Warning Message has come on at the start up, but goes out after a mile or so.

Both radiator and plastic tank are full to the correct levels.

Has anyone else had this problem.