Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• This car is a money hungry monster. A dream to drive a nightmare to own. If spending hundreds of dollars monthly is something you enjoy then buy a 740.
  • Does anyone know how to get BMW to help me with the endless problems I've had with my pre-cert. 96 740il?

Purchased Nov.99, visits the dealer monthly with new problems, currently 75k miles, they repair everything under the 100k warranty, after that I'll be shelling out 6 to 7 thousand a year in repairs.

I've put over 4 thousand miles on loaner cars, that's about 1 and half months of driving for me.
    Major disappointment.
  • arcoatesarcoates Posts: 221
    As far as styling is concerned- the Jag is the best out there. The base rims are awful to look at- my '95 XJ6 had gorgeous wheels. Jaguar took a step back when they introduced the XJ8's rims.

The BMW with the M 18's is very nice on the eyes, but in this class is looking a little dated.

The Mercedes is very nice- two different schools of design between the Jag and MB, but both are extremely successful. With a sport package, the MB is hard to beat looks wise.

The Audi is again a little dated for this group. Although the S8 ups the ante.

And finally the LS430 is disgusting. Can Toyota not hire some designers with their own ideas. It is a complete rip off of the S-Class. And the old one at that! It should be illegal to massacre a great design like the MB, and slap a big L on it. Maybe it stands for LOSER!
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    Quit this Benz rip off stuff...no one cares. Go drive the car, and just maybe you won't be so hung up on the looks. BMW and Jag are both dated.
  • can anybody describe in careful detail how the seats on a loaded MB S600 or BMW or 750 iL work (don't bother describing the crap-o seats in the Lexus LS430, they're not even multicontour)? I am very curious to see how the 16 way and 18 way seats work on these sweet cars. Do they really have power side support, power thigh support, power cushion depth, and all that?? Somebody describe those seats in detail, please...
    Thanks.
    Are you blind. How can you say that the Jaguar is dated. You do know that you are in an edmunds.com townhall room, and that in their superluxury comparison, they Jaguar scored best for, what was it, oh yeah BEST STYLING. It was unanimous. If you can really believe that a Japanese car compares to anything european, you need to shake your head. They have, and always will be, copies of American and European cars. And for your info- styling is a big part of why people buy cars. You think a women cares that the BMW has VANOS to broaden the torque band- no, she likes that it has shiny wheels and comes in aubergine.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    What I am saying is that all of these manufacturers copy each other when it's to their advantage. It just doesn't work one way, AND I stopped trying to impress women with what I drive years ago.
    I didn't say I try to impress women with my cars, my point was that when women buy their cars, they look at it's curb appeal, not at it's performance. That's why you see so many gorgeous women driving Jags- because they make a statement, and when their husbands take the drivers seat, they are rewarded with fantastic performance as well.

And I do have to admit that the Japanese have come up with some innovative gadgets in the interior. They live for the bells and whistles, so that's what they try at. But when it comes to driving dynamics and styling- they take the easy route and copy.

Sorry for the length.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Everyone clearly knows that the Japanese are the biggest copy cats in the world. The Lexus LS430 is the most ridiculous case of it yet. Total copy, and like someone said it's a bad copy of the OLD Mercedes design. Any bets that the new ES300 (2002) will look like the new S-Class or C-Class? The LS430 is a hell of a car, and you'd probably have to buy a loaded S500 or S55 to top it, but stylewise it's completely lacking. Even I admit it's a great car and it does deserve it's own look. I would like someone to please tell me where the Europeans or Americans have ever copied the styling of a Japanese car as blatantly as Lexus and Acura copies the Euro brands.

M
    Thank you for agreeing with me! The only thing I have seen that Cadillac has copied from the Japanese has to do with the interior, and the electoluminescent lighting for the gauges. Exterior wise- Americans and Europeans have always been the innovators, and the Japanese the copyers. Sorry- I don't make the rules, it's fact.
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    Wow.. this board has heated discussions..lol I'd have to say that Lexus, at least when it comes to the new LS has indeed been the follower not the leader where design and handling are concerned. The GS is another story. Although they took a hint from the Germans in the performance department, the styling of the car was purely radical and exciting. Had they done that with the new LS stying I would have bought it over the Benz S500. I'll admit that the Lexus is a great value, but I also have to agree that most people, men and women buy cars because of style and content , with style being in the top 5 of what's important to consumers.So Mercedes won this battle with the style and content, but the wars are far from over and we he consumers are the constant beneficiaries....
    I didn't think the GS was all that great looking. The front fascia is fantastic, but the back end looks out of place. It's one of those cars that looks like there were 2 different teams designing- one for the back and one for the front.

I am a diehard European fan, so I'll never like Japanese cars, even if they do someday (never) become best in class.
    QUESTION: Here's another topic for discussion- do you agree that if you want a car in this class that you can drive and have a blast in, there is no beating a 7 Series with a sport package? That is my view. I'd like to know what others think.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The Lexus GS for the most part does have a radical look for a Lexus, but the front and rear treatments (to me) mimic the E-Class more than anything else. The Europeans will always have styling all over the Japanese, if arguably nothing else.

Arcoates

I would almost agree with you on your assessment of the BMW 7-Series with the Sport Package, but with the S55 AMG around I can't say that the 7 is the best large sporting sedan anymore. The S55 is faster and better handling, and (I know you'll like this) better looking. I just wish the 750iL or 740iL actually got the suspension tunning of the 740i, instead of just the wheel/tire package. That said the 7 is still a favorite of mine, has been since the fall of 1994. It has that Mafia, "Kingfish" look about it. Any of these cars would do for me.

M
    If only BMW made an M version of the 7 series. I think that compared to AMG, the M divison does a much better job with the cars. Maybe it's just because you can get manuals in all but the 7's, but I think they have better material to work with from the beginning.
  • Ditto, guys to the messages expressed earlier regarding BMW 740i. Yes they are incredible Automobiles to drive, but be prepared, YA GOTTA PAY TO PLAY. I have probably spent over 4K the last two years on my 94. Stick a fork in me - I AM DONE.
    My dad has an '88 735i, with the 3.5L I6, and get ready-a stick shift. Extremely rare- frankly that's why he keeps it around. That was the last year they made a 7 with a manual. Anyway- it still runs and looks great (like a '94 even), and he hasn't spent too much on it to keep it in top condition. Mostly on repairs when my mom smacks it up!
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    Better looking and faster than anything but an M5. How can you not love 370HP and almost 400 foot/lbs of torque. Not to mention optional BBS 2 piece alloy wheels and brembo brakes.

Bang for the buck in a large lux car. will be the 2002 Q45. 340HP 0-60 in 5.9, faster than everything but an XJR or S55, and styling that is at least not derivative of anything else, all for under 55 grand.
  • Pondering buying a 98 or 99 Jag sedan - anyone actually owned on and can give me their experience on ride-powrer -handling-problems/maintenance...Thanks!
    This may be of some use to you- I'll throw it out there anyway. We had a 1995 XJ6 until September. Not the same engine, but bodywork, electronics, chassis etc...

Interior was gorgeous- no problems there. The I6 was a gem, as is the V8. The handling, although not a BMW, is very competent- when you push it, you are surprised at how it reacts. The tires on ours were very grippy (225 Pirelli P6000 with 16'), and the handling was very confidence inspiring.

In our experience, it is not a winter car at all. When we got rid of it, there were mutliple rust spots- not huge, but still there. We didn;t have the traction control, and there was no limited-slip diff, so it was hard to get it going in the snow, or even the rain!

If you're willing to have a winter car, or live in the sun, it is a great car. Beautiful, fast, great handling. The electronics acted up once in awhile, but it is a british car after all. I would reccomend it. If you're having passengers though, go for the long-wheelbase- the back is extrememly tight. Other than that- get one!

I hope this helps you.

A.R.