Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    High end, did somebody say high end?

Here is a picture of the rear end of a upper end car. Some of the greatest pictures of a high end exhaust system I have ever seen in my whole life.

Enjoy.

M6 Rear End
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Looks like a root canal patient with the dental implements hanging out of his mouth.

;-)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    anything made by Infiniti be considered high end?
    That was the first clue the discussion was off-topic.
    Why is the hood up? Don't tell me it needs maintenance already? :lemon:

To be quite honest, that rear looks all bangled up. I don't like it.
    Looks like an old Firebird.

However, if it were forced on me, I just might acquiesce. :blush:
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    It is purported that the S8 is going to receive the new 7-speed DSG to handle the V-10 engine easier than the already fantastic current DSG.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I'm wondering which car that big slab of a trunk lid was pulled from, and then tossed on top of the 6. That is one of the ugliest rears on any coupe currently on sale.

This is what the 6 should've looked like originally. Unfortunately I dont think the "de-ugly" package is worth the $100 grand or so that Fisker wants for it.

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Looks like a character from Cats. Bombalurina? Mr.Mistoffelees?

There are some serious whiskers on that thing. But the Dodge Swiss-flag grille is a creative touch.

;-)
  • You know, this board is full of steriotypes about the Lexus LS owner vs. the MB S class owner. I won't bother to repeat them.

But lets move beyond that. Can anyone present empirical data about education levels, income, retention rates, median age, % purchased vs. leased, red state/blue state (or urban vs. rural; IMHO the red state/blue state dichotemy is really urban vs. rural anyway) differences, political party preference, etc. for these owners/leasees of these cars? Maybe data from Polk registration figures, trade journals such as Automotive Weekly, etc?

I think that there are clear differences and I'd like to see some data.
    Sounds like a job for SuperStats Man who can leap tall empirical requests in a single bound and recite the World Almanac faster than a speeding bullet. Who has more power than JD Power ;)
    You were right the first time with it looking like a patient's root canal with the dentist's implements hanging out of his mouth. It really does look like that.
    Geesh! What a mess!
    Even I as a BMW fanatic have to draw the line somewhere. Enough already!
    I can't stop laughing every time I click on that photo!
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Oac posted a link to a USA Today article a few weeks ago that gave median age of buyers for various brands. This doesn't break down by model, just brand.

Car buyers' median age by brand:
    Division - Median age
    Rolls-Royce 62.9
    Lincoln 62.8
    Buick 60.8
    Mercedes 58.7
    Chrysler 56.4
    Mercury 55.1
    Cadillac 53.4
    Jaguar 49.8
    Lexus 49.4
    BMW 46.1
    Ferrari 45.6
    Hummer 45.6
    Acura 45.3
    GMC 44.4
    Saab 44.4
    Pontiac 43.4
    Porsche 43.4
    Dodge 42.9
    Chevrolet 42.7
    Honda 41.9
    Toyota 41.9
    Infiniti 41.6
    Mitsubishi 41.3
    Volvo 40.3
    Ford 39.7
    Land Rover 38.9
    VW 38.7
    Jeep 37.6
    Nissan 35.1
    Mazda 34.6
    Suzuki 33.2
    Isuzu 32.7
    Subaru 31.7
    Saturn 30.9
    Hyundai 29.8
    Kia 28.1
    Primary drivers, personal use vehicles only; Source: CNW Marketing Research
    Interestingly Audi is not only overlooked in this forum but also by the media.
    To be quite honest, that rear looks all bangled up. I don't like it.

Hpowders,

and I always thought you were the last remnant of support for Bangle design. I guess its official and all Bangle fans have become extinct .

RIP
    Wow! Looks like Audi has become totally invisible!
    Kia but no Audi.
    The ultimate dis!
    Man! Looks like Audi owners are going to have to join group psychotherapy to treat extreme inferiority complex brought on by acute invisibility. :)
    I like Bangle's E60 but did not like what he did with the M6.
    Even I have a breaking point. :)
    Please re-read what I wrote. Lexus selling 300+k vehicles a year in the US would overtake BMW global sales with (Lexus) US sales alone! Would be a neat trick if Lexus can pull that off.

Brightness04,

The above has to be among the funniest statements I have ever read in this forum.

Based on global sales the invisible Audi company is more visible than Lexus.

Thanks for the comic relief!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    Audi is doing quite well as a company. They had a record sales year last year, and they are one of the most profitable car companies on a per unit basis of each vehicle sold.

Audi has the strongest line-up they've ever had with the new A3, re-styled A4, A6, & A8, and the new Q7 coming next year. I personally think they have the best looking vehicles of any high-line car company right now.

I think Audi's customers are more independent thinkers and are less worried about what people think of them, and don't buy a car just for a status symbol.

We'll leave that to the propellar and three pointed star crowd.
    and don't buy a car just for a status symbol.
    We'll leave that to the propellar and three pointed star crowd.

ouch

you dont know how little that hurts.
    Impressive results for Infiniti. I'm sure Lincoln would kill for a number like that.
    A lot of these Infiniti folks are G35 people, and it's much more of a 25-40 age bracket car. So that's helping lower the age #'s for overall sales for Infiniti.

You also have to consider that Q45 sales figures are abismal. The 50 plus crowd isn't even considering this car compared to Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. Infiniti moved only 63 Q 45's last month, and 1,077 for the entire year so far. Audi sells 5X as many of their 80k A8 compared to that, and that's still a relatively small number in this market.

The M35/45's are also doing very well for Infiniti as they've sold about 21,000 so far this year.
    I'm not sure why even 63 people bought Qs.
    63 is pretty embarrassing for the entire USA. Infiniti should have killed the Q45 last year, but it still soldiers on. Who knows how much longer.

The did such a good job with the M35/45, and G35 sedans, you wonder what Infiniti has up their sleeve to compete in that 70k market segment. If they build upon the 35/45, a new Q flagship could bring Infiniti full circle.
  • anything made by Infiniti be considered high end?
    That was the first clue the discussion was off-topic.

Q45 is the high end marque for Infiniti, which is itself the high end marque for Nissan. On the other hand, BMW is the mid-level marque for BMW AG, and 3 series is the entry-level product for the mid-level marque, doubly off-topic.
    Yeah, I really dont understand why they spent even a dollar "refreshing" the Q. How many extra sales did that get them over the '04? Three people? Four?
    So now the non-wealthy have the priveledge of driving a Ferrari.

Thank God for the new Bugatti since that is one way for the wealthy to distinguish themselves from the rest of humanity.

Unless ofcourse an entrepreneur introduces a time-share Bugatti concept.

The following is from the year end edition of the Economist:

In Britain, Damon Hill, a former racing driver, has launched P1 International. A £2,500 ($4,300) joining fee, plus annual membership of £13,750, buys around 50-70 driving days a year in cars ranging from a Range Rover Sport to a Bentley or a Ferrari.

As a result, “the price of entry for much of what traditionally was available to the top 0.001% is now far lower”, says Mr Lawson, who notes the sorry implications for a would-be conspicuous consumer: “How do I know if the guy who drives past me in a Ferrari owns it or is just renting it for the weekend?”
    Why the lacklustre sales for such super lux cars as the Maybach or Rolls Royce?

Here's a quote from the year end Economist:

Yet rather than abandoning status anxiety, the way the rich seek to display status may simply be getting more complex. As inequality grows again in rich countries, some of the very rich worry about consumption that is so conspicuous to the masses that it provokes them to try to take their wealth away. Some car-industry experts blame weak sales of the latest luxury limousines on this fear.

But perhaps the true symbol of exalted status in the era of mass luxury is conspicuous non-consumption. This is the growing tendency of the very rich to dress scruffily and drive beaten-up cars.
  • sv7887sv7887 Posts: 351
    Hi Everyone,
    Another year passes and we're still at it debating. While we all differ in our opinion, our fierce debates show how passionate each and everyone of us are about our cars! I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe New Year!!

Sam
    good to see mega stars like Julia Roberts driving the Toyota Prius.
    Unfortunately, most of the others ($452,750 for a Mercedes?) are gorging themselves on high-priced vehicles.

I do believe many of them could use a little God in their lives to bring them back to reality. Reminds me of the golden calf worshippers.

On the positive side, it must be nice to know that when you die, you can afford the most expensive box at the undertakers'. ;)
    No Hummers? I'm surprised. Good results for Mercedes though.