Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• no3onno3on Posts: 7
    To answer your question, I'm not sure. I did see a few of them at 2 different dealers. Don't know if they still have them though.
  • dej0dej0 Posts: 36
    Hi Gang,
    I ordered my 3.0 A4 in early January, and it is here now. The guy just called me today. Unfortunately, I have an all day meeting tomorrow, and I am not sure about friday. The guy was disapointed that I could not just come tomorrow, but the dealer is 45 minutes away and 1 day's notice is not enough time.
    I knew it would be some time when I ordered (I had previously ordered my '97), so I did not stay in contact with my dealer. Still, less than 3 months, so I am not complaining.
    They did ask for a $1k deposit at the time. I did not get leather, but I really wanted power seats, which are not available in the 1.8T engine. So I got sports package, xenons and moon roof. Red with the tan interior.

I'll let you know how I like it when I am driving it.

Ned
  • yoonnyyoonny Posts: 33
    Congratulations on your new car. Enjoy it. I also ordered my '97. Was yours an A4? I was wondering if you traded in your car or sold it. How much were you able to get for the car? And how much over invoice did you pay for the new car? I am thinking of changing my car sometime this year. I paid $700 over invoice for my '97. I don't know if I can still get the new A4 at that price if I order.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,715
    Congrats on your new A4!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• sf10sf10 Posts: 5
    Just ordered my new A4, being built in Germany. Looked at the BMW 330, didn't like the "stiff" drive. Here's what I got (only 3 options, no leather or roof):

A4 3.0 Quattro
    6-speed manual
    Sport Package
    Xenon Headlights
    Bose Premium sound

At 5% tax, metallic paint (i think they all are), i'm going out the door for $34,614
  • brick22brick22 Posts: 71
    You sound understatedly excited sf10. Where are you located for a tax rate of 5%--we're taken for 8.6 in the Northwest! In the last week or so, it seems more people are saying they've bought/ordered 3.0s than 1.8Ts--is it the leather, the power seats, the engine, the ride? How did you decide on an order? Was it because they didn't have the options you wanted nearby, or did you get a better price by ordering? We--well at least I'm--all ears on the details.

Did you test drive the BMW 330xi? What exactly didn't you like in comparison? Or hopefully, what did you prefer in the Audi?
    I have the same question as Brick22...Where are you located that the tax is only 5%? They get us for 8.25% here in the city! Congrats on ordering your new car. I find it interesting that you cited the stiff ride of the BMW 330i as one of the reasons you opted not to get it. Yet you ordered the Sport Package with your Audi. Was the difference between the Sport Package equipped A4 and 330i that significant?

• Here in Northern Virginia, I only paid 3% tax on the car when I bought it. But don't get too excited...they make up for it with a "personal property tax" where you pay 4.5% (or so) or the value of your cars EVERY YEAR. It used to be much higher, but it's getting phased out. They're gonna get the money out of you in some way or another!
    So far, loving my '01 1.8T...has a few quirks, but you get used to it! I wish I could've gotten the same deal on the '02s, but it's a fine car either way you go.
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Posts: 563
    Yeah but you guys don't need to pay state income tax in WA. I would rather do that than paying 6.75% for the taxes on my car, and then 3% on IL state income tax.

To all new A4 owners, welcome to the club! Nice decision and I'm sure you will like your new rides.

Sf10, I think for colors black, white and red, they are non metallic paints and you can save $450 right there. Just a thought.

Billy
  • khlmdphdkhlmdphd Posts: 7
    I placed my order for a 1.8T Quattro A4 last January and expect to take delivery within the next 2 weeks. Shortly after I placed the order, I test drove the other car that I was seriously considering, the 325i, one more time to reassure myself that I had made the right decision.

The Audi I ordered is coming with the sport package, xenons, sunroof, and heated seats. The BMW that I most recently test drove was similarly equipped including the sport package. The acceleration advantage of the V6 on the 325i was there but only barely noticible. I accelerated through some curves that had a small amount of loose gravel and felt the bimmer slip a little, but immediately regain control when I let off the accelerator. I was reminded of the advantage of Quattro. I realize that the 325xi is an option, but a very costly one at that. Anyway, while performance was nearly comparable, when considering the full package, i. e. getting a six disc in dash CD changer and a tape player v.s. a single CD player, dual zone climate control, head protection air bags and heated seats in the back as well as the front, and a tiny trunk in the Bimmer, and so on... I was reassured that I had made the right decision.

The problem, and the reason that I post this message in search of advice is this: I recently read some glowing reviews of the new Saab 9-5 so I took it out for a spin two nights ago. Let me preface this with the fact that I will very soon become a new dad, and thus, the extra room in the back seat, I speculate, may be a big plus. Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised with the Saab. Tested the 9-5 2.3t which has 185 h.p. but an amazing 207 ft. lbs. of torque. I drove both a 5 speed manual and their new 5 speed automatic. Another surprise to me, but I actually preferred the automatic in the Saab. I am a die hard manual fan for performance and I love the silky smooth A4 gear box. However, in the Saab, the automatic appear just as quick and was extremely smooth. In terms of handling, while is was not as nimble as the A4 with the sport package, I took a street corner at about 25 mph and the tire screeched a little but the car was sure footed.

So this is where need for advice comes in. The Saab that I drove and can take immediate delivery on is going to cost me $2500 more than the A4 that I ordered. In addition, from a financial standpoint, contrary to my initial thought, my Audi dealer will not refund my $500 deposit if I do not take delivery on my A4, so it actually will cost me $3000 more to get the Saab.

My dilemma is this, the Saab still appears to be a better value. The sticker price on the Saab is just under $38,000. I told the Saab dealer what my situation is with the A4 so knowing that I will definitely take delivery on a new car in the next 2 weeks, he brought the price down to $32,500 ($5500 below sticker, $3000 below invoice, and $1400 below edmunds TMV (Saab has huge dealer holdback thus they can afford to go below invoice, actually a marketing scam)). For the $3000 I am getting a car that is classified with the A6, has a substantially larger back seat, a huge trunk, and leather seats (and when they say buttery soft Saab leather, they mean it, those seats were amazing).

I went into the Saab dealership to once again reassure myself that I was doing the right thing with the Audi, but now I am not so sure. I told the Saab dealer last night that due to the significant price difference, I am almost sure that I am going to stick with the Audi but that I would think about it.

Sorry that this was so long winded but I wanted to give any of you wanting to give advice on this the full picture.

Thanks in advance.
    While the Saab is a great deal (I currently lease a 2000 9-3), some things are too good to be true. The value of the Saab will plummet compared to the Audi. The 9-5 is a nice car (I had one as a loaner once) and has been ranked high by JD Power. Saab's reliability record is questionable (I don't know how long you plan on keeping your car) even though I've had NO problems with my car (I lease it). I'd take the Audi.

BTW: WHile Quattro is superior to BMWs AWD system, they are priced the same: $1750.

• ct_yankct_yank Posts: 10
    I'm am currently considering leasing an
    A4 1.8TQ with similiar options maybe sport package. I also live in CT (Fairfield County).
    Sounds like you got a great deal. Which dealership did you end up buying from and who was your salesperson. What were the residual value and money factors on your 39 month lease?

Congrats on the new A4 & good luck.
    Even though I love my friend's 900 turbo's engine and speed, everything else about Saab is a few years behind A4. How can you compare A4's exterior with Saab 9-5's?? The price on Saab may sound attractive but if you add in the dealer holdback and $2,500 cash allowance, the dealer still makes good money. Don't fall for the saleman talk. All Saab models will change soon and the used car values wont's be good. I will take pure German A4 anytime over the fake Swedish ("Ford").
    www.audiworld.com has many posts with leasing prices.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    ...uh, hate to tell you, but Saab is a GM product!! You must be confusing them with Volvo.....
  • audi4lewaudi4lew Posts: 1
    Have been driving my '02 A4 3.0 Quattro (Tiptronic) for a month now, so I finally feel qualified to post. Overall, I am really pleased with the car. Great ride, tight construction,excellent fit and finish, all the power I need and a great feeling when going around curves -- The quattro grabs whatever's there. Oh, the Bose sound system is aces!

Gripes are minor, but there are some:
    1. I agree with a previous poster who noted the limitations of the trip odometer. Audi could have done better. Suggestion: replace the silly "instant MPG" readout, which is useless, with a "miles driven" readout. Knowing that I get 13 MPG going uphill and 45 MPG going downhill does me no good at all.
    2. With all that German engineering, they still couldn't find a good place for the second cupholder. In the armrest? Duh!
    3. The automatic transmission in the "D" mode seems to decellerate at times (about 3rd gear) if constant pressure is placed on the gas pedal. Fortunately they also have the "S" mode, which goes to higher RPMs before shifting, or the shift-it-yourself option.
    4. Maybe it's just me, but the seam on the leather seat hits me in the wrong place, and the seats seem a little hard. The heated seat option is nice, though.
    Even with these minor miscues, the A4 is still a jewel. Hope I can say the same after 10,000 miles and my first scheduled service.
    Much luck to all in your automotive adventures!
  • bluetranebluetrane Posts: 67
    Unfortunately, no one but you can decide which car is the best one for you. Rest assured that you won't go wrong with either car, and you will be able to find plenty of people here on Edmunds to support you either way.

My one comment to add is regarding pricing. Everyone looks at rebates and discounts from MSRP and uses that as a measure of how good of a "deal" they are getting. Remember that supply and demand is one of the few laws that is never broken. The only reason for Saab (or anyone else for that matter) to sell a $38k car for $32.5k is that not nearly enough people are buying them at the higher price. I would argue that you are not getting a $38k car for $32.5k, you are getting a $32.5 car at a fair price.

None of this really matters of course. There are few things more subjective than taste in cars; plenty of people look at Daewoos and find love there. If you really like the Saab better then go for it .

This explains why I have steadfastly refused to test drive anything since putting my A4 deposit down :)
  • rafszrafsz Posts: 1
    > Remember that supply and demand is one of the few laws that is never broken.

Very well said.
  • My remote can not restore the right mirror position, I can only do it from inside memory button. The dealer had looked into it for 1 week and had changed 2 parts so far still did not fix the problem.

The dealer now say they looked all the brand new A4 in their stock, none worked for right mirror. So they suppose it may just work like that although owner menu say it should work for both.

My question is is there any 2002 A4 3.0 owner which can make the remote restore the right mirror position.

Thanks

Weijie
    Yeah, I'm very psyched; just wanted to see what people thought of the deal. The 5% sales tax is easily in maryland & virginia. Also, if you buy it in delaware, it's no tax. The only thing is, once you register the car in a state with a different tax rate, you get dinged with that higher rate. So if you know friends in a state with 5% tax and you can use that address as a mailing address....

for me, I ordered because I didn't want all the crap that came with the A4's--the sunroof, the leather, the autodimming lights, homelink. i didn't need that stuff, and didn't want to drop $38k for a car with crap I didn't need. If you go to the showroom and ask them to show you a leatherette seat, the difference is imperceptible. It's much cooler in the summer, and much easier to care for. I thought I was sitting in leather, and they told me it was leatherette. so by ordering, I saved money and I paid only for stuff i wanted. besides, you can tell your friends, "yeah, it's leather--ahem--ette."

I chose the 3.0 over the 1.8T just because I wanted something with more zip. the 1.8 is pretty sluggish, especially when you've got nissan altimas & honda accords blowing you away for much less money. i simply thought the A4 ride was luxurious, and the 330 ride was more gritty. the car just felt so much nicer. It feels like more of a car than the 330. And $3k to save isn't too bad either. I think with the A4 sport, the ride isn't gritty like the 330, yet the cornering is much better. also, I've gotten so much flak from people and even journal articles saying that the BMW 3series is a "wannabe" car, but it's a beautiful car no doubt. People have said that the Audi A4 is the "thinking man's car."
  • tmcktmck Posts: 28
    SF10. The A4 couldn't possible be the car for you since you refer to sunroof and homelink etc as "crap". Perhaps you meant to say that it doesn't appeal enough to you to spend the money on it. I, personally, would never spend over $20,000 on a new car unless it has a sunroof. I have found that if I don't I get seasonal affective disorder in the early months of the year and refer to things that other's hold dear to their heart as "crap".
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Posts: 563
    For you OLDER A4 body styles out there (96-01.5), do you have any problems opening the trunk lid during cooler to cold weather (under 50F)? Mine sticks like crazy. Basically it won't move by itself (I literally need to lift it open with considerable force) until the lid is over 90 degrees open, which is almost useless. I tried this on my buddy's 01.5 A4 and 01 S4 and both of them will open by themselves slowly, after giving the lids a little lift. The service advisor said it's normal that they don't open by themselves (!!). Does that mean both of my buddies' rides are ABNORMAL?

Please help!!

Thanks, Billy
    well, "crap" is another word for "stuff," as I was using it above. also, i had a sunroof in my last car (it was included), and it used it about 3% of total driving time. There were so few days when it was nice enough to open up. If it was summer, then it would be too hot, I'd have to close it and turn on the AC. If it was winter, no way I'd open it. There are very few days for which the sunroof was useful. So, for more than $1000, for something to use 3% of the time, I said, "forget it."
    they offer models with and without sunroofs. People like me will never buy a car without one. People like sf10 don't feel the need for one.

• hi,

this is an 3.0, 6 speed avant, but the avant newsgroups said that i should post here as well. just wanted to hear any advice that you folks might have for striking a deal!

thanks!

i want a 3 year 15K/yr lease.
    should i expect a mf of .002? how about the residual %? have folks been getting much off the msrp? anything else i should look out for?

many thanks
  • kk13kk13 Posts: 30
    You should check on the local laws regarding non-refundable deposits. I left a desposit on my car, but when I asked the dealer what happened if I changed my mind (or there was a problem with the car when I came to pick it up) he said they would have to give back my deposit.
  • hiflyerhiflyer Posts: 78
    Quite frankly, I mostly appreciate a sunroof for the amount of natural light in lets into the car during those many dreary winter days; or any other dreary day of the year for that matter. When the weather is splendid, I just pop it open to enjoy the refreshing air. It's better than a convertible IMHO. Win-Win.
  • audibonaudibon Posts: 100
    Billy and all other Illinois/Wisconsin Audi owners:
    If anyone has had any bad experiences with McGrath Audi in Glenview I would like to hear from you. I welcome both sales and service issues and want to know your problem, was it resolved and do you still go to them for service and would you buy from them. I can be reached at e-mail Brian_Bohnert@Visiontek.com. Thanks in advance for any input you can give.
    Brian
  • swinga7swinga7 Posts: 45
    are audi a4 quattro 1.8t's reliable? I've been looking at them in want ads, ebay, etc. and I've been seeing quite a few that have long lists of replaced engine parts and even replaced engines. all of them are 98+ so I thought that this was rather odd. Are they not reliable or are these just rare incidents that I keep finding?
  • bluetranebluetrane Posts: 67
    I don't know if I can help you directly, but I can tell you that residual for 12k/3y on a 1.8T Avant was quoted to me as 59%. that my be different for the 3.0 model, and the extra miles will likely affect that as well. Audi's current money factors are .00235 for 3 years and .00245 for longer.

If you go to the "Lease Questions" board in the "Finance and Insurance" area here in the Town Hall, there is an incredibly helpful user named Car_man that has access to this information and usually responds to posts within a day or two. I just used his information quite profitably for me during my recent negotiations. Hope this helps.

Rick