Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• paleriderpalerider Posts: 1
    I've been looking through the papers and going to all the dealers and I still can't find something reliable to meet my price range. Well, I found this '94 honda civic lx 4 dr. It's in good shape with 130k miles. Should i buy at about $4000?

Thanks
  • elantra00elantra00 Posts: 225
    i wouldnt. you want to start out with a low milaged car. and $4000 is way too much for any car over 100000 miles. thats above avg milage. id look for something with 75000 miles or less. honda is good and all, but not at that price. may less then 3000 would be. at the stage of milage on the car, you dont know what could go wrong.
  • hello26hello26 Posts: 62
    ? www.kbb.com says used car retail prices are not private deals then also says trade in values are
    for trade in. So what's private deal price or insurance valuation price I don't know. The retail values are ridiculous. The trade in value on the car is $3,700.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,677
    4000.00 is a giveaway for a car like that provided it's in good shape. 130,000 miles is NOTHING for a well maintained Civic!

If it has a five speed and no A/C, that will hurt the value a bit. That might explain the low price.

Before buying it, be sure to have a qualified Honda dealer or independant inspect the car!

That low price makes me suspecious!
    There's your answer. No, maybe, and yes :)
    if i were you, id change your screen name. you would say that about any honda, regardless of price. Morons buy cars with over 100,000 miles on it that cost over 2500. whether its a honda or yugo, it still has been driven a lot. yea, maybe it will run good for awhile, but problems due occur. cars dont run forever. with all those miles, who knows how many owners its had, where its been and most importantly, how it was treated. a low milaged car is always the logical solution.
    We aren't talking about Hyundais here. We are talking about Hondas! A well maintained Honda will have a long life. Naturally, problems can and will occur with age and should be expected. After all, we are talking about a 4000.00 car!

Who cares about how many owners a car has had? This car may have had three owners who cared for it! This is far better than one cheapskate owner who never changed the oil!

There is much more to the condition of a car than the odometer reading! Miles aren't everything but many ill informed shoppers will use that as their ONLY criteria!
    three owners who cared for it. how would you know for sure. why would anyone want to buy a car with over 100,000 miles on it for that much money. You are taking a chance. If its the original owner, then maybe talking him down will work. But you dont want to have that many miles on it. Isellhondas.....thats just it. you know how to sell hondas. nothing more, nothing less. you do not know whats going on under the hood. i cant tell you how many car salesman out there i have met who tried to sell me a lemon. the engine is worn....what i mean is that its above avg milage. more then 20,000 miles a year. thats above avg since the avg milage per year is 12,500. If i were you , id look for a low milaged car unless you can talk the guy down $1000-1500 less. it could run for many years to come, but i like the confidence of a well-kept car with low milage, not knowing if it will break down today.

Like i said, your name says it all. you know how to sell hondas, not maintain them. ive embarassed salesman by knowing more about a car then they know.
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    I agree that every used car that already cross the 100K mark should be subjected to more cautious check than other used car, despite the brand. Especially like the one in this case which appears to have been driven above the average driving mileage/year.
    Take it to a mechanic for a through inspection if you want the car, but for $4k, you should be able to get a car with lower mileage.

Btw Elantra00, IsellHondas actually appears to be among the few salespeople that have quite extensive knowledge about cars, so I wont be so quick to judge him like that.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    the average mileage nowadays is up to 15K. If you do mainly short trips then yeah 12K is fine..but once you add any highway trips, it will jump to 15K. And most people routinely add on more.
    Who thinks he knows more than I do...I've done a WHOLE LOT more in my life than sell cars!

I once even ran a 40 man repair facility.

My point is this, the odometer reading of a car isn't the only or main indicator of the car'c condition like Elantra thinks it is!

A well maintained car with 150,000 mostly highway miles can be in MUCH better shape than a 75,000 mile car that has been subjected to mostly stop and go driving and minimal maintainance.

ANY mechanic/technician will agree with me on that!

Sadly, 4000.00 doesn't buy much these days. Still, the Honda that was mentioned could well be a great value for that price.

Again, have it carefully inspected by someone who knows Hondas!

Mileage is only ONE factor to consider!
    4000 does buy a lot these days. my first car was a 1986 toyota corolla w/ 50k miles on it. body, engine was great. engine looked like it was brand new, and wasnt steam cleaned to look like new, like car dealerships do to make people think they have been well maintained when they really may not have. I got that car for $2800. My point is this: Thats what you look for in a car when you spend a couple of thousand. low milage, well maintained. the civic may have been well taken care of and run great, but it is not worth $4000! so before you jump the gun, isellhondas, my pint is that its too much money for a car with that many miles regardless of how it was taken care of. thats 20k+ milage a year
  • jxcarjxcar Posts: 8
    Go check out the Edmund used car pricing. $4000 is close to the market value after deduction for high mileage.
    I bought my 88 Honda Accord hatchback dx in 1994 with less than 80k miles for $3400.
    No long ago, a friend of mine bought a 9-year-old V6 Camry with 120K miles for $3200.
    To me, $4000 can buy a much better used car than a civic with that much mileage.
    However, if you want to stick with "Honda" and can't find other good deals, go for it, but try hard to cut the price down.
    I think it's outrageous. I agree with isellhondas
    that a good car with 150k would be better than one with 75k that is in melt down. I'm not saying the market value is incorrect. But you deserve better for $4,000 IMO.
    Since that car has probably been snapped up already by someone who recognizes the value.

I deal with this every day and probably have a better handle on the market than people here who rely on what they read on the internet!

But, I'll concede that I have no idea what part of the country you others are from. It's possible that the market values could be different where you live.
    My 97 Civic was wrecked. It had almost 80,000 miles. The retail value was $10,000. I can buy
    the lowest Civic new for $10,000. It doesn't have air conditioning as far as I know. Big difference as opposed to the difference between 80,000 miles and 0?

If you work for a dealer you sell used cars at retail or at least you ask retail.
    If I were a used car salesman wholesale prices
    would seem cheap. In terms of value we have
    no way to say the car in question was maintained
    well or not. But I agree. It's probably a moot point by now.
    hello26, damn did you get lucky. i don't think anyone would by a 3 yr old car for $10000 with that high of milage. i am not saying you didnt take care of it or anything, just that much money for the amount of milage. like 3k less would be ok.

And for isellhondas or anyone else out there who thinks i dont know what i am doing when it comes to cars. the sticker price for my 2000 elantra was $14400. i haggled with the guy for 5 hours and got him down to $10,800. Now thats a good deal. You have to know how to haggle and show you mean business. retail value on my car is [non-permissible content removed] after a couple of years, i am aware of that, but i am not going to sell it. i am going to keep it as a daily driver and buy a Honda Accord coupe or BMW 323ci when i graduate from college.
    No the car is salvage. I own it but it's in pieces. I didn't have it fixed. I paid off the loan. I will sell it to someone. They will
    patch it up and sell it for $10,000. It's dented in front and there is a tear in the floor. The passenger compartment isn't touched. It's not going to be an unsafe repair job because of the type of damage. Many are not fixed right and are dangerous. You can get retail and trade in values at www.kbb.com
    Are you taking business classes in college?

It's the supply and demand of an item that determines price. If the dealer sold you a car stickered at 14,000 for 10,000, then that's all it was worth!

The dealer holds the cards...he wouldn't have accepted your offer unless he was desperate. Otherwise another buyer would have paid more.

I guess Hyundais are really hard to sell.

And you are right about the resale down the road.
  • dryfusdryfus Posts: 20
    Don't pay any attention to this salesman who will do anything to get you to buy his car. Now let's look at the realities of a comparison test.

http://www.edmunds.com/roadtests/comparison/2000/economysedan/index.html

Check out where the Civic finished - next to last

Check out where the Elantra finished - third and missed second by a fraction of a hair.

Guess the competition has whipped passed the aging Civic in recent years. Too bad the consumers don't know this, as they continue to believe all the propanda put out by the likes of Honda salesmen.
  • george00george00 Posts: 81
    I realize this is stretching the topic a bit, but after all there are many similarities between the Civic and the CR-V mini-SUV. Moreover, this was not an intentional comparison test. I drove the automatic CR-V as replacement for my aging Accord, not for my 2000 Elantra GLS 5-speed. But as I drove my Elantra to and from the Honda dealership, I could not help comparing. The CR-V did not come out well. I liked the high seating and visibility all around, and I thought the steering, while a bit light, more precise than the Elantra's. But at all speeds the Honda engine was remarkably noisy and surprisingly weak, while at 75 mph (the legal speed limit here) the wind noise in the Honda was incredible - even the salesperson admitted she was surprised. Also at 75 mph the Honda had no pickup left at all. Finally, the brakes on the Honda were quite weak, certainly much weaker than those on the Elantra. I was so surprised at these deficiencies that, after I left the Honda showroom, I drove the Elantra over the same ground. The Elantra was markedly quieter at all speeds and at 75 mph still had plenty of strength left for passing. In summary, although the CR-V costs around $6000 more than the Elantra, I would not make an even trade.
    Yes, CRV's tend to be a bit noisy. Most people aren't bothered but others are.

Is your Elantra a V-6?
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    That comparison is just as bad as edmund's econo comparison. How are you going to compare the CR-V to an elantra? the CR-V weighs 3100lbs and the Civic weighs 2400. They both have similar engines so of course the CR-V will be straining to move that extra 700lbs. Stick the Elantra engine in and you get the same result i'll wager.

As for Edmund, they give good info, but they blew it with the econo comparison. How are you going to judge half the cars auto and half the cars manual? the validity of the tests can be thrown out the window, or else you can only compare the auto to the auto and manual to manual cars in the test. There is now way you can accurately compare performance of an auto car to the manual one.

one thing i will agree on is that I too wouldn't get the CR-V. Rather get a 2yr old Explorer
    isellhondas: Elantra V-6?? I don't think there is any such animal. In any event, mine is a 4-cyl.
    nikecar: Of course it's not a perfect comparison test. I never meant it to be. Nevertheless, I don't think it was entirely invalid. Taking each car on its own terms, the Elantra's engine is sufficient to pull its weight, the CR-V's is not; the Elantra's brakes are sufficient to stop it without undue delay or pedal pressure, the CR-V's are not; the CR-V is much noisier on the highway - wind noise, road noise, and engine noise - than the Elantra. I have seen the word "refinement" use here a lot, usually to compare Hyundai invidiously with Honda. Refinement, unlike hp per rpm or mpg of gas, is of course subjective. But I don't think a weak, noisy engine, a jerky transmission, and a raucous cabin could be deemed refined by anyone. By all these criteria, the Elantra simply outperforms the CR-V.
    nikecar: You say, "of course the CR-V will be straining to move that extra 700lbs." Funny I don't recall anything in the Honda brochure I was given at the dealership about "straining," nor do I remember the saleperson mentioning it. If the Civic engine must strain to move the CR-V, perhaps Honda should install a different engine in it.
    I apologize for offering 3 postings in a row, but I have learned that in my last 2, I accepted a false premise - that is, that the Honda CR-V weighs 700 lbs more than the Hyundai Elantra. In fact, the auto CR-V weighs 3,126 lbs, the manual Elantra weighs 2,626 lbs, which is a 500-lb difference. A 200-lb exaggeration, which is 40% of 500 lbs, is significant. In other words, nikecar, the CR-V's performance deficit is less justifiable than you thought - though, again, I would insist that any car should have the engine it needs without reference to whether that engine would suffice for a different car.
    You are certinly entitled to your opinion.

The majority of people would disagree with you. I think the CRV has more than enough power and they stop quite well. Noisy? Well, perhaps to a point but not so bad that many complain.

In fact, the CRV sells so well that we never have enough of them!

No giveaway low interest financing either. No reason to with sales so strong!
    the crv is weaker then the elantra. it cant even be compared to the elantra. the elantra weighs less and has more horsepower. the crv has approxamately 115 hp. that car, along with toyota's rav 4 is classified as what.....it has 4 wheel independent suspension and front wheel drive, so it can't really be classified as suv. but it doesnt look like a car. so what do we call this thing....a wannabe SUV? I drove one before cause my weekend job is parking cars. its small and cramped, (maybe cause i am 6'1"). it closed like a tin can, not the solid sound you get from a honda accord. and accelerated like a slug. for this price, i rather get a baseline cherokee. at least this automobile, when people look at it, they wont have to wonder whether its a car or suv. remember all, this is my opinion, so don't start saying this is the total truth. just my 2 cents and first hand experience.
    Try 146 horsepower on the CRV.

Why are you guys even comparing these in the first place? They are totally different.

You should be comparing the Elantra to a Daewoo or something!

And by "parking" a car, you can tell that it accelerates like a "slug"...amazing!

Sure hope you never park one of my cars!
  • dryfusdryfus Posts: 20
    With a CRV, it's so slow that you can park it while accelerating! It maybe 146hp, but it acts like 115 hp! And yes, you can't compare it with an Elantra.
This discussion has been closed.