Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Legend

Comments

• smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    1991 Legend LS Sedan. The light(s) for the speedometer and tach don't work. All the idiot type lights and turn signal indicators do work, but they are lit from behind. I can find no fuse in either box for the dash lights. Is there a light in the dash for the instruments, how do I get to it, or is that the likely problem? Thanks
  • Hey everybody. Got the car checked, its in good shape. One thing I've noticed is that one of the fog lights is burned out. Any ideas where I can find a replacement, and how much it would cost? Is the light specially tailored to the car (1995 Legend GS Sedan), or can I use others? Thanks for any answers.
  • what's up guys it's me again,1989 Acura Legend L. I am still experiencing problems starting the car after taking a short trip. The only way the car will start is if i let it cool. I took it to get repaired, they replace the distributor and it had no effect on the car. Somone PLEASE. If you have experience this very same problem and had it fix. I would be greatful if you would share some info on to was done and how was this problem fixed.
    Thank you so much in advance.
    Richard
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Posts: 121
    You may want to try asking your questions in these two sites:

http://forums.prod.legend.org/html/

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/

• fivofivo Posts: 5
    I just picked up my 95 GS this week. I have loved these cars for a long time. Not sure what I enjoy the most driving it, or just looking at it. It's amazing how good these cars look.

Enjoy.

fivo
  • This is basically an update to any interested party. I have a 94 LS Coupe, 6-speed. After having the timing belt and water pump changed at 90,000 miles at the end of the year 2000, the car had a loud rattle at idle. After much discussion and after having it investigated by a mechanic, I have left it alone, and it has not gotten worse. The consensus is that it is probably something to do with the clutch, since the noise goes away when the clutch is put under a load. The car now has almost 100K miles on it, and I've never replaced the clutch, although I suspect it will be done this year. However, I did just have all, repeat all, radiator/coolant hoses replaced. The car had a slow leak that we could not isolate, so the mechanic recommended replacing all hoses. You can see I believe in preventive maintenance. Since I bought the car in 1998, it has had the following major maintenance, in no particular order: radiator replaced, front brakes, radio antenna motor thingy replaced, timing belt and water pump, all coolant hoses, alarm actuater (?) in doors fixed, four new tires (michelin--rides like a dream), and transmission mount replaced. The ongoing rattle and transmission mount both were not apparent until AFTER the water pump and timing belt were replaced. That was a nightmare mechanic experience -- after getting the car back, the door would not open and the trunk release wouldn't work. Coincidence, maybe. The dealer fixed those easily and at no charge, still..... I am now using an independent mechanic.

Some of these things were under warranty, but no longer. I keep telling myself the cost to maintain it is still better than paying for a new car that cannot equal the quality of this one. I hope I'm right.
  • I forgot to add -- Master cylinder replaced too.
  • jdnshl2jdnshl2 Posts: 1
    I currently am leasing at 99 Infiniti I30. The lease ends in June. Although the car is nice and has only 30K miles, I have always loved the Legend. Any advice on things to consider when evaluating a 95 Legend GS vs my 99 Infiniti I30?(miles, maintenance, reliability, luxury)

Thanks
  • njlegendnjlegend Posts: 1
    Hi all:
    I am having starting problem with my 93 legend and would like to seek some opinions from you legend savvy.

It only happens once a while. When that happens, the dashboard is dead with no lights, I don't hear the ignitor clicking sound. I found some corrisons (accumulations) on the the + cathod of the battery. Once I clean up the corrison and reconnect the battery, I can start the car without any problems. The only thing bothers me is that the corrison comes back again in a couple of months. Then I have to clean it again. I checked all the fuses and fuses are fine, plus my battery is a brand new one. What could cause this problem?

My legend runs great except this problem.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Paul
  • danspadanspa Posts: 3
    I've got a 93 Legend 4-Dr with 139k miles. The original owner said the radiator had been replaced earlier. I've had the same problems as siriusgirl such as a master cylinder replaced, driver's side door actuator replaced, broken transmission mount, and the timing belt and water pump at the usual 90k miles. I've replaced the power antenna myself. The power windows do not go up quite as fast as they go down.

Regardless, I still like the car. I, too, go to independent repair shops as the dealer is charging $90/hr and local shops charge $60-65/hr. Some shops will let you buy the parts and they will put the parts in for you. Just be sure you order the correct parts and know the part you're ordering. One company has great deals on parts on the internet and it's called www.rockauto.com. Enter the code 7551 in the "Please tell us how you heard of us" line of the shopping cart and you'll get a 5% discount on your order. Their prices are much better than carparts.com even with any possible discounts carparts offers.

Oh, one more thing. Another issue I have is the catalytic converter heat shield. It used to rattle all the time especially shortly after the car was started. You could only hear it when the windows were open. The local shop fixed it by bending the shield a little bit.
    In addition, the transmission sometimes takes longer to shift than I like and it's a sloppy shift. I get the transmission fluid changed every 20k miles since I noticed the problem. The fluid should be changed every 30k miles, but it seems to need changing before that. Is this true for other Legend owners in general? I've heard that the original transmission in general goes on the Legends and other import cars around 150k miles and it's usually the overdrive that goes out first.

Is this true in general? Does anyone know of a way to make a transmission showing signs of trouble last much longer? I just started using Prolong Transmission Treatment to try to help it.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Danspa,

Did you order your power antenna kit from rockauto.com ? How long did it take to replace ? Did you run into any snags ?

Thanks,

fivo

95 GS
  • abenoitabenoit Posts: 1
    currently have a 1990 Legend "STD" model with approximately 177000 kms (110,000 miles) have had starting problems with this one as well in the past told dealer about the problem and he advised that it was common on this car the correction was to " remove and resolder relay " this has cured the problem this was done in June of 2001 and the problem has not returned hope this helps someone out there currently having a problem with the oil light coming on all I have to do is shut the car off and start it again the light goes off and stays off sometimes I can go months without it happening again and other days it can happen 2 or 3 times dealer has checked it out and can't find a problem the sending unit has been changed with no difference currently looking for a different car there is only a 1997 RL for sale at the dealer no legends currently advertised the RL recommends premium fuel what octane rating would this be my legend recommends 91 octane but runs fine on regular unleaded I would appreciate any help you could give thanks
  • bretts4bretts4 Posts: 1
    We have a 1993 Acura Legend with 110K miles (it's for sale now if anyone is interested) that has been a wonderful car. It did experience some starting problems about a year ago similar to those discribed here. The problem was the electrical switch that is attached to the ignition keyswitch. It took about 10 minutes to replace, and it only cost $60 from Autozone for a lifetime guarantee part. Also, this new switch solved the "ghost door lock" problem that we had been experiencing now and then where our power locks would mysteriously start clicking when the car was sitting in the garage.
    Fivo,

I only replaced the power antenna, not the motor. I bought the antenna from the dealer for about $75 as finding a good aftermarket antenna is not worth the time. The process took me 30 min. start to finish.

The most important part is to use extreme caution (I used an old thick bath towel around the lip) when trying to unscrew the lip where the antenna goes in. If you do it wrong without a towel or other protection, you'll have scratched paint. I think it has 2 notches and needle nose pliers will work. You need two people to install the antenna, one to operate the radio power and one to try to perfectly get the plastic notches of the antenna to catch perfectly inside the antenna hole. It may take several attempts before you're successful.

The Acura dealer was going to charge me $125 for labor to install it. Ha!
  • hoolickhoolick Posts: 16
    my wife's 1990 legend l coupe has 29,545 miles and were putting it up for sale next week and i'm trying to decide on an asking price.it's white and it still smells new,the only added options was real wood that still looks great and we had our acura dealer lower it,it really looks great but we need 4 doors and we've just about decided on the 03 tls. any price ideas would be appreciated.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I had to remove a couple of posts - your Membership Agreement explicitly forbids using the Town Hall to sell or buy anything at all.

Some of you might want to check out Edmunds.com's Used Power Shopper either to list a used vehicle or to look for one available in your area.

I hope everything works out for you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Hoolick -

Boy, I wish I had never given up my '90 Legend! Was offered a company car at the time and made the rational, economic choice then - just dumb in hindsight.

Anyway, '90s go for $3-6k depending on the mileage and condition. One with only 30k miles would probably command more but it's still 12 years old and a lot of folks are turned off by vehicles that old.

I have a friend who's a sales rep at my local Acura dealer - if you want, I'll ask him what these vehicles go for at dealer auctions and what he gets for ones on their used car lot. Let me know any questions you may have.

The Wiz
  • hawks1hawks1 Posts: 57
    Just discovered this forum on Legends and am very appreciative of the good info I've been able to obtain from it. I've got a '90 Legend (L Series with cloth interior) that my wife drives daily to her work - approximately 60 miles daily. It's got 165,000 miles on it with never a wrench to the engine (tune-ups, etc excluded). After reading some of these posts, I checked with a good local mechanic who was dumbfounded that I hadn't replaced the timing belt. I guess ignorance is bliss as I had never even considered it. He said he would replace the water pump and timing belt for $550. Does this sound reasonable? I'm one of these "don't fix it 'til it's broke" kind of guys so parting with this kind of cash hurts! Incidentally, could there be any serious damage to the engine if the timing belt broke?
  • th83th83 Posts: 164
    Spending $550 to replace the timing belt and the water pump could save you a lot later. If that timing belt breaks, it will cost a few grand just to repair the damage done to the engine. I hope this helps...
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    You've been lucky so far. Honda (and most manufacturers, Toyota being a notable exception) builds engines that wll be TRASHED should the belt break during operation. This is definitely NOT an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. As mentioned above, it will cost THOUSANDS. $550 is a fair and reasonable price.
  • I have a 95 Legend GS and the service guy at a local Acura dealer quoted me for $859.99 for a timing belt and water pump change. I gave him..."I'll think about it" line! He knows I won't come back!
    Maybe one or two of you missed pat Apr 9, 2002 4:43pm.

Sorry, but the Town Hall *expressly* forbids selling or buying things here - I don't know how to be any clearer.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I see you are not getting a lot of help on pricing your Legend. You could hop over to a discussion on our Smart Shopper board where I think you will get some assistance. Here is the link: Real-World Trade-In Values.

Good luck! And don't forget to check out the Used Power Shopper link in my post immediately following yours.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I have had my 1995 Legend GS for couple of months now, but I just noticed a Mode button on the back of the radio remote buttons on the steering wheel. I have pressed this button a few times and can't figure out what it does. I have looked in the owners manual and there is no mention of it. Can anyone shed any light on what this button does?

Thanks,

fivo
  • jaguarguyjaguarguy Posts: 1
    I own a 1995 Legend with 68K miles, there is a weird push when the car goes to the first speed, that everything is smooth, local dealer suggest that transmission need to be replace. Any suggestions would be appreciate.
  • fortiermjfortiermj Posts: 1
    I too have a 1995 LS sedan with 110K miles. I just bought it a week ago for $10500. It is sweet, really was kept in mint condition. It looks more like a 3 year old car than a 7 year old. Anyway, I have noticed that the shift from 1st gear to 2nd seems a little hard compared to other cars, but from what I have read this seems to be the norm for the Legend automatic tranny. Not sure if this describes the "wierd push" you are experiencing, but if not I would definitely have either a transmission shop or the dealer (if you trust him) take a look at it. Not sure if I trust a dealer that says it needs to be replaced right up front before actually looking at it. Good luck with that...
  • subzero206subzero206 Posts: 111
    a way to stop the battery terminals from corroding so often is to lube it with vaseline. yes the kind u use on your lips or whatever. just basic vaseline, put a generous amount on the cables and terminals and that will help it from corroding so soon.
  • y2k4my2k4m Posts: 9
    I just said good-bye to my '91 4-dr drk blue L w/leather. It was still in it's prime with 145,000 mi. Loaned it to a friend while his car was in the shop, and then got the dreaded phone call. It seems that a 4 wheeler loaded with teens rear-ended another 4 wheeler and shot it across the road into the Legend. No time to react or hit the breaks and in seconds it was gone. The front end/drivers side is literally unidentifiable from the sustained damage. The good news ... my friend walked away with a small cut and a few bruises. Until the bitter end my Legend served me well. My friend was impressed enough that he said he would be hard pressed not to look at an Acura for his next vehicle to which he owes his life. So, to all of you that still have your Legend, appreciate it for what it can do for you because it'll give up it's life to save yours. Sorry if this sounds corny, but my Legend was my first Luxury car that all future cars will have to be compared to and now exceed to impress me. A tough act to follow.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    I'm not convinced that make the new cars as well as those old Legends... the CL and TL don't inspire sturdiness as much as the Legend to me. Still, they are the closest thing you will find to those great cars.