Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Is there an official "Protection Package" for the TL? My deal includes a protection package, but I wasn't sure what was included in it. Is it wheel locks, all-season floor mats, trunk tray and mud guards? Is there any official reference (link or brochure) that someone can point me to? Thanks.
  • Options
    dimariadimaria Member Posts: 44
    I have the NBP/Parchment combination and I live in the Northeast were we just got 12-15" of snow. I love my color combo. I like the wood instead of the carbon fiber look. The camel was to "orangey" for me. The only thing that I did was buy a set of Black TL carpetted floor mats. I thought that the parchment ones were to light and would just get dirty. I think it looks great with the black upper part of the dash/doors and steering wheel.

The Protection Pkg that I got included wheel locks, mud flaps, and trunk tray.
  • Options
    kevdkevd Member Posts: 19
    dimaria,
    I live in RI, just got hit with the same storm. I was thinking, black cars really can be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] in this weather. I like that color combo for all the reasons you stated and thought about black mats as well to save the parchment. Do you have navi? Glad you're enjoying it!
  • Options
    kevd,
    No. I didn't get the NAVI. What color combo are you looking at?
  • Options
    free7birdfree7bird Member Posts: 9
    Was just wondering if anyone has had the window visors and or the moon roof visor installed on their new TL? How does it look? Just wondering if they tend to take from the look of the car or if they look just fine? If anyone has a picture they can post please do so.
    Thanks
  • Options
    debis04tldebis04tl Member Posts: 38
    Free7bird.. I have them, both moonroof and side window. the side window visors are a bright black and match the trim around the windows. Because they come down on the window about 2 inches they in effect make the car look lower, I suppose the aero kit also has something to do with that effect. My car is WDP and the contrasting black makes it look real SHARP. I would share my pictures but I don't know how. For me the visors are just fine but I suppose some would argue the point!! It's simply a matter of taste.
  • Options
    pjj14pjj14 Member Posts: 13
    About a month ago, I put down a $1,000 refundable deposit with my local Washington, D.C. area Acura dealer to insure myself a shot at a silver exterior/ebony interior 6-speed TL.

However, since then, the dealer has only called me once - and that was to tell me that they had just received a white TL, which did not interest me. Moreover, the dealer was not able to tell me when they expected to get more 6-speeds. They did, however, tell me that they only expected to receive four or five 6-speeds at a time.

Has anyone one else experienced this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    The computer knows exactly how much gas is being used in a fuel injected car, so I can't imagine the need to "guess" from other data. Do you know this for sure?

Anyway, the trip computer and my own figuring from fillups has been very close (so far). I'll let you know further!
  • Options
    ggombosggombos Member Posts: 18
    As of Nov 30 I got 3.64% with American Honda Finance (60Months). I was going to go with my local credit union at 3.80% and they offered to beat it. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    I think the visors make TL (or pretty much any car) look really cheesy! They also dramatically increase the noise level, when you drive with closed windows/moonroof. Personally, I NEVER drive with open windows/moonroof. So the effect for me would be double negative: extra noise and butt-ugliness.
  • Options
    dimaria,
    The NBP/parchment is on the top of my list. I also want to see the green/camel or parchment combo, I heard it was nice and just saw a picture of one on Acura-TL.com. I take you don't mind having black with it's extra maintenance?
  • Options
    gregory28gregory28 Member Posts: 174
    I think the black/parchment is the nicest color combo. I'm not willing to deal with all the maintenance involved to keep it clean.

I leased a Deep Pearl Green with parchment- a combo I think looks great. Don't go by the way it looks on the website if you have interest; go see it in person. Almost black at night and a deep dark, rich green in the sunlight.
  • Options
    rwalker07rwalker07 Member Posts: 16
    I purchased the white with quartz interior.

I originally was going to go with a silver exterior, but the white really stood out.

There were not too many options, white, silver, black, gold and a dark blue.

I drove a midnite blue Saab 9-5 and five minutes after washing it, there would be dust all over it.

The midnite blue is still my favorite color.

I think the green sounds interesting, but it was not available.
  • Options
    archerlanearcherlane Member Posts: 9
    The black is actually very much like a midnight blue. It looks like a really really dark navy at certain angles. I like it a lot but like many, I don't want to spend half my free time washing the car to keep it clean.
  • Options
    paulg54paulg54 Member Posts: 60
    We had 6 TL's on the lot in Jackson recently with only 1 blue 6-spd. Black, white, Anthacite, Desert Mist, Abyss Blue, and the silver. I have never preferred silver cars because the color seemed to get dull or flaked off. I know this is no longer true. After looking long and hard at the colors in the lot, it seems the silver on the TL looks very nice. This auto trans TL had the spoiler, body-side moulding and mud guards. The moulding seemed to "break-up" the lines of the car a little. I don't know if this is "the" color for the TL because it is shown in the TL brochure more than the other colors. The darker colors also looked good.

I have an Accord EX V-6 with gold and parchment but I just can't warm up to it on the TL. Why does this have to be such a hard decision? Anal? I heard that. I will sit on it (so to speak) for a couple of months to see if a 6-spd rolls in before ordering a color I won't like.

Has anyone had a trouble with silver on their cars?
  • Options
    klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    I purchased a Red/Parchment 6-spd. First red car I've owned, being a formerly blue/black/silver man. Red makes it look a lot more like a sports car. Friends who ride in it think it's a 2-door because of the color and manual transmission. More than a few times they've gotten out afterwards and say "this is a 4-door???"

Also, I absolutely love the combination of the 4 colors in the interior - black, parchment, wood, and aluminum. The only beef I have with the interior is the drab black and white LCD of the center console display (non-Nav).
  • Options
    tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    found an anthracite/camel at my local dealer. Really sharp. I definitely do not need this car, I do, however, want this car. Rare color combo is not for everyone, but definitely for me. Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    Dulney... Don't you know that the 04 TL has insulation material just about everywhere to keep outside noises down. If you have driven one you will know that it works, visors or no visors. I always drive with my moonroof open when I can, the air around here is is fresh and clean. So... I don't hear any wind noise with the windows closed, Hmmm, I wonder, my wife does say she thinks I am deaf sometimes!!
  • Options
    kevd,

No I don't mind the extra maintenance. I do have a garage so the car is in it when I'm not driving it. That helps a little. To me nothing compares to a shiney black car.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that the rear rotors are wearing uneaven? Both of mine have grooves in them and will be wearing the pads that way. The front ones are fine. I have only had the car less than one week with less than 500 klm. on it!!
  • Options
    debis04tl, your wife maybe right - you may not have sensitive enough hearing.

My first test drive was in the 04 TL with visors and I was shocked at the amount of noise coming from them (with windows closed). I then drove one without visors and found the difference to be quite dramatic; much much less noise.
  • Options
    The TL is very streamlined with a low Cd. Anything you add is going to spoil the airflow design and will create MORE noise, as dulnev has already experienced. These visors also spoil the lines of the car.
  • Options
    Dulnev, I was just kidding about the ears... I think they work just fine.....Automophile, all I can say is that your Solara would look real nice with smoked visors.
  • Options
    uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    There was a post above complaining about features that the TSX has but the TL does not. These include foglights mounted low (which, btw, are an extra cost on the TSX), blinkers built into the sideview mirrors, and fold down rear seats.

I own an TSX and, in all honesty, the only one of those features that matters is the fold down rear seats (which, IMO, are important to have).

I have the optional Acura foglights on my TSX and love them. They work great and enchance the aggressive look of the front end. But, the lights being mounted low leaves them very vulnerable to chips or breakage. And, for that reason, I'd prefer the setup that the TL has.

As for the turn signals mounted on the mirrors - I see that as a non-issue. That is a common feature on the European cars. Since the TSX is essentially a slight modified Euro-market Accord, it has those turn signals. But, I don't see these as offering any sort of advantage.
  • Options
    Do the men and women of law enforcement notice the red as well?
  • Options
    I think the dealer installed spoiler looks good on the TL. Our dealer charges $564. for the spoiler and installation. Is this a good price and does it make anyone nervous to have the dealer drill holes in their new trunk? Does anyone know whether the drilling would cause future rust in high humidity states? Would it be worth installing the spoiler yourself and taking extra care to rustproof around the holes?
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Even amoungst Euro cars, more have the side blinkers rather than the mirror blinkers. Other than MB, who else has mirror blinkers?
  • Options
    mhewittmhewitt Member Posts: 14
    Checked with AHF several days ago and they varified their 60 month rate as 5.89% and unchangeable.This is for a vehicle bought in New York. AAA will do 3.89% as of a week ago or 4.89% if you're refinancing. XM radio is another dimension--Bluesville is the best rock (blues) I've heard since 1968; the jazz stations are outasight, Deep Tracks gives me album cuts I haven't heard in 30 years, then you have classical, opera, electronic dance, new age....--enough music to get you across the US. trips into nyc aren't long enough! Everything about the 04 TL is perfect--but a rock ding after driving it 3 days made me feel like a finger had been cut off.
  • Options
    Paulg54, I am glad to hear that someone else thinks the spoiler adds to the appearance.
    Mine was $679.75 cdn. I just looked at mine, there is a gasket installed between the spoiler and the trunk, it appears water tight and I doubt rust would start there. On the inside I can't see because the trunk is completely covered. Let them drill the holes. If they mess up they fix. If you drill and mess up, they fix and you pay. Don't worry about the holes. If you are concerned, ask your dealer about the installation and request that they take extra care to make sure the holes are rustproofed, you are the customer!!
  • Options
    Perhaps you don't appreciate the mirror blinkers because you don't see them in use? I hvae followed our TSX and when my wife turns on the turn signals they are so blatant you can't miss them! It has to increase overall safety a LOT.

Think of the times you are trying to change lanes on the freeway, and the person next to won't let you in - because they are too close and can't see your turn signals! If they were on your mirror, they couldn't miss them!

Sorry - I persist that this is a GROSS oversight on Acura's part. The new TL - The car with ALMOST everything!
  • Options
    "Think of the times you are trying to change lanes on the freeway, and the person next to won't let you in - because they are too close and can't see your turn signals! If they were on your mirror, they couldn't miss them!"

You're greatly overestimating the usefuleness of these lights. The person next to you doesn't let you in because he doesn't WANT TO, not because he doesn't see you.
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Person next to you don't let you in not because they can't see you turn signal, but because they don't want you to pass them. If a person can only see your mirror blinkers, you probably to close to make a turn or change lane. If you ask me mirror blinkers looks nice but useless.
  • Options
    Do the men and women of law enforcement notice the red as well?

Not as of yet. <knocks on wood>
  • Options
    cheesy
  • Options
    "cheesy"

I couldn't agree more. It'a for 16 year-olds and their rice mobiles, not for classy cars like TL. You can't turn a TL into a race car by adding a spoiler. All you end up doing is making the car and yourself look dumb.
  • Options
    gcruzsmithgcruzsmith Member Posts: 22
    I have seen that the discussions for color are a hot topic here.

A few things to consider:

Light interior with a dark interior are very hard to maintain (cleaning wise). I had a black 99 Accord V6 with light leather interior. For the exterior, not only was the car hot all the time, the fingerprints and swirl marks drove me nuts. The lighter interior was a nightmare too.

Some colors are judged by the year of the model. The body style of the 04 TL will probably last for 4 or 5 years. If you purchased a green or red TL this might not be available for 05. The most conservative colors are white, silver and black.

I purchased an 04 TL WDP with parchment interior. I also paid extra for 18" chrome wheels - I am very happy with this combo (due to cleaning maintenance).

Just my opinion - I am happy for all who purchased their new TL "babies"..

G
  • Options
    I am sorry to say but you both spent too much on spoilers at "dealer cost". I shopped around and purchased my spoiler at:
    http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnyside/jsp/specials.jsp?pavalue=2- 004+TL+Accessories

Rear Wing $399.96
    Rear Deck Euro Sytle $319.20

They are easy to install and come with instructions. I purchased the Euro Style and it took me 45 minutes to install it myself.

There are a bunch of other accessories at 20% off.
  • Options
    shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    Where'd you get your 18" chromes? Link please?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I've yet to drive the TL 6-speed myself, but a friend who did complained that the 6-speed had a very "soft" shifter and gearbox feel with a lot of play in it. Put it "way behind" BMW, Audi and the G35 coupe. Claimed that I would hate it, since I have an S2000 with an exceptionally crisp 6-speed for comparison.

If true, this is dissapointing, since the looks and sportiness of the new TL appeal to me. And I will never own a "sport sedan" with an automatic. Any comments from owners or others who have test driven the TL 6-speed??
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Regarding a phrase used in an earlier post, the Town Hall has a long-standing policy that "rice" terms not be used here due to their origins as ethnic slurs.

Please do not make any comments about this policy here. If you have something to say, you may email me or our Community Manager, Sylvia (sylvia@edmunds.com).

Thanks for your cooperation and your understanding.
  • Options
    habitat1 - Don't listen to your friend. I find the gearbox to have very short throws and there's no rubbery, soft feel to it. Gear engagement comes with a nice little "snick." The only problem I have so far is the clutch, which has a fairly long travel to it, and engages suddenly in both 1st and 2nd gears. I have gotten used to this though, and I'm approaching 1,000 miles and the clutch is starting to get broken in and less grabby.
  • Options
    gcruzsmith, for some it is worth the little extra to have it done right. Also $400.00 plus exchange, duty, taxes and delivery costs will add up quickly. I could have installed it my self but the convenience of having it on there when I picked the car up was worth it..... do you have the Acura logo stamped on the underside of your spoiler? Original equipment is covered under the warranty. What can happen to it you ask? Let me think about that one. Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Your friend is confused. I have the 6-spd TL and everything klunkman said is accurate. I got used to the clutch rather quickly because it was reminiscent of my 92 Accord 5-spd. Best advice is test drive the 6-spd yourself.
  • Options
    gcruzsmith,
    Color is a hot topic because there are so many combos to decide on and they all can be nice. I agree on the black(dark) color, but I think it looks nice on the TL. I can't decide if it's worth it to get black. I noticed you stuck with a light interior on your new TL, after all the pains on your previous light interior, I'm surprised you stuck with it. I do like the parchment, it's my first choice.
  • Options
    Chromes: shenkar, the 18" chromes were already on the car when I purchased it. I couldn't refuse the TL without them. The dealer takes the original 18" allowy wheels and they have them chromed in house.

Color: kevd, typo with interior. My TL is WDP with Quartz.

Spoiler: debis04tl, I understand the convinience of having the dealer installing accessories on your car - I too have a few things I would like to have them help me with - I am actually getting the three back windows tinted. Yes, the spoiler that I purchased from the website that I provided is an authentic "Acura" spoiler. The merchant itself is Acura.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    an 04 TL yeterday in a parking lot. It was blue. The car looks alot better in person than it does in pictures. I think the car looks perfect in blue. I like the way the front of the car looks with the headlights and the grille(it looks pretty sharp.) Honda did a nice job in styling the 04 TL. Acura has its styling down.

As for the spoiler I prefer the 04 TL with no spoiler. Its a luxury car. I don't like luxury cars with spoilers.

Finally, I saw the Wall Street Journal's list of cars in demand last month and the TL wasn't on the list. The TL's competitor the Lexus ES 300 is in pretty good demand with 11 days of staying on the lot. The MDX and TSX were on the list with some 14 days on the lot. I'm surprised the TL wasn't on that list.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I don't think the front of the TL looks like a harp, or any other musical instrument :)
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    sharp. I corrected my mistake.
  • Options
    Of course, you are RIGHT! OTHER drivers are rude and self-centered, especially here in L.A. where everyone is in SUCH A HURRY to get nowhere in particular. However, the fact of the matter is that people seems to be more responsive to the TSX with the mirror-lights. This observation was made my both of us, independently.

Perhaps the other drivers try to "justify" being rude by telling themselves that they "didn't really see the turn signal", and when it is IN THEIR FACE it is harder to justify this? (A little auto-psych). Also, I have noticed that when you are facing cars at an intersection, it is easy to miss the turn signals, especially when they are combined with other lights. Again, they are much easier to see on the mirrors, as they are physically separate from the car.

Anyway, we like'em, and I wish I had 'em on the TL.

Maybe I can get some of the BIG round truck type lights with the arrows that light up, and screw 'em on to the TL mirrors? (HA ha!)