Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    What is the date of manufacture of your TL-S? Supposedly those made after May
    '02 do not suffer the transmission defect.
  • Purchased a 99tl last nov and have not experienced any of the tranny or brake problems common in this forum.But i do have a question about fuel economy. Using premium fuel i'm getting 15city/20hwy, nowhere near epa estimates (19/27). Dealer says its the winter gas blend(Ohio). Am i being unrealistic to get in mid 20s?
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    My mileage on a 2000 TL has always been in the 19-22mpg range, never above it. The mileage greatly depends on how fast and aggressively you drive.
  • I had a 2003 TL for an overnight test drive, yet I found one thing disturbing. When I applyed the gas form a dead stop I noticed a jerkyness. I also have this in my 98 Avalon, but it is worse than the TL. I was stroungly considering the TL, till I logged onto the boards and found out about the tranny and brake and tire toubles. Any thoughts??
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I think the tranny problems are overstated, but still there sees to be little reason to buy one over an Accord EXV6. I am sure some people had tranny problems, but where are stats showing they are more problems with a TL than with most other cars? The same few people posting their complaints 20 times does not prove a widespread problem.
    Regardless, the TL is old now and you might as well buy an Accord or wait to see how the redesigned 2004 TL turns out.
  • akal50akal50 Posts: 112
    I agree about the Accord. It may not look as cool as a TL, but it's still a great car and it's got some things that the TL doesn't have. Choosing between the Accord and the 2003 TL is tough. But the fact that a new TL is coming out makes it a lot easier. Plus this whole transmission issue has me scared. My 2000 Accord never gave me problems.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am interested in someone who has recently drove both of these vehicles. How do you compare the two in terms of driving comfort, seat comfort, quietness, and overall quality. Exterior looks is subjective so no need to provide your opinion on that issue. I do realize that the TL is "old" technology and the Accord is new but I feel sometimes the "old" proven technology is partially better. Thanks in advance for you opinions.

bear2day and others- What kind of mpg are you getting on mostly highway driving?

Other owners- Are you using premium gasoline for the non Type-S TL?
    I think Acura needs to catch up and get in synch with model changeover of the Accord or they will always have a tough time the final year competing with the newer Accord.
    I remember back when the 98 Accord came out, it was the same thing.
    Maybe they should make a special edition TL for the last year with exclusive paint and interior colors and equipment to make it more attractive compared to the newer design of the Accord. They could have slapped in some real would and higher grade leather in the 2003 instead of waiting for the 2004 redesign. They could have also made the 260HP engine standard for 2003.
    I see no reason for anyone to buy a 2003 TL now that the 2003 Accord EXV6 has available navigation, heated seats, side curtain airbags, more horsepower etc..
    Xenon headlights and the weak-sounding Bose stereo in the TL is little incentive.
  • I drove both on the same day. The TL is more of a luxury car, but the 240 HP in the Accord was awesome!! I felt the seats on the TL were wider and more comfortable. The Accord has better visibility, and the controls on the steering wheel were easier to operate. The stereo was great, although it's not a Bose. The rear seat goes down, so you can carry some pretty large items, when needed. The TL has the better headlights, although most other divers coming toward you hate them. The TL also has the 'green glass' that's easier on the eyes. The leather in the TL us better quality, even an Acura dealer told me this. I loved the way the Accord drove, but I have to say, I think I am kind of leaning toward the TL. Based on the 2004 TL and the gas cost, the 6 cyl Accord takes regular gas, I guess we will see what happens in a few months. Right now, my 98 Toyota Avalon is still running like a champ--I just want something new, and VERY dependable. Good Luck!! Keep us posted!!
  • shellzshellz Posts: 33
    Marfay, I took delivery of my TL in March--so you're right, my transmission was probably before the "fix."

TL vs. Accord
    I have to admit that I'm very impressed with the new Accord. Overall, I thought it felt like a more comfortable car than my TL. The interior was quieter with substantially less road and wind noise. The seats also, although I do have the sport seats, seemed a little more supple. I think that the new Accord would be a very worthy alternative to a TL considering that you can get a fully loaded one (V6 w/Nav) for around $26,000.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I hope Acura keeps the "Acura Legend Styling Theme" for the 2004 TL. Don't really like the new Accord myself.
    Is there a site that lists interior noise levels?

I would really be surprised if a 2003 TL has "substantially less road and wind noise" than a 2003 EXV6.
    I know the Type S TL seems noiser than an Accord V6.
  • I've been going back and forth with a dealer that has a certified used 2002 Acura TL-S. It has 35K miles on it, has already had the tranny replaced, and is covered until 100K. He wants $22,800. I just wanted to get a general consensus from the people that already own a Type S.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    Run, do not walk, away from that TL-S. 35k miles? I say it's way too much. You can lease a new one for less $$$ per month.
  • Leasing is out, I am aiming to keep the car for longer than that. What do you think would be a fair price?
  • chineechinee Posts: 50
    If you plan on keeping the car for a substantial amount of time and miles, beyond 100K, please rethink your decision to purchase a TL.

Some folks think the issue's exaggerated and Acura's done enough to address the issue, while others believe that Acura didn't play fair at all. I've now decided to take neither side.

To be practical, no manufacturer, domestic or import, warranties their transmission for 100K, but on Japanese cars I still EXPECT the transmissions to last way beyond that. With the TL, I planned on keeping well into 200K, (35K per year), but I believe it is UNLIKELY that the transmission will get me there (failed at 19K). And TL trannies have failed two and three times.

Even though trannies on Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti products do not offer extended transmission warranties, I feel they are MORE LIKELY to get me to 200K.

I say be practical, if you know you will be driving your next car past 100K, look elsewhere other than the TL for peace of mind. And do not forget, there is a chance the tranny may fail at 70+ mph, causing you to lose control of the car on a highway; not a chance I was willing to take with my kids in the car.

So... I traded my black 2k2 TL for a silver G35 2 weeks ago.

Good luck with your decision.
  • In reference to 1831. I have a very heavy foot, and I can`t say no to a good race. But any way, 6800 miles, only use American High Test 93 oct. 24-26 in Town, 28-31 Highway. But this is on a 2003 TLS. Sorry Fredvn
    Bear2Day
  • What is the name of the Infiniti Dealership you work for :)
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    billy: Cheap shot on chinee, but at least you said it with a smile.

chinee: I fully agree with your position. Bad luck is bad luck. Putting yourself in position to be victimized by a known defect is imprudent.

I am looking to replace our 1996 Isuzu Trooper with 61k miles that blew an engine for a mere $5,500 repair bill. The last thing I am going to do is jump from a frying pan into the fire. I will wait to decide on the Pilot and/or MDX until I see how Honda comes clean on this automatic transmission issue. At least with my S2000, it's a manual and I never intended to drive it 100k miles.

There are plenty of good alternatives to a TL that don't require you to play Russian Roulette with the transmission.
  • What manufacture date fixes the problem on the '03s?