Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• Would anyone here consider a used elantra? The dealer in the city has a bunch of them on the lot. I think they have 5/60 warranty on them. For the price it seems like a good deal but Im always cautious when it comes to buying used. The miles are low and the cars are about one to two years old. Any comments good or bad?
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Posts: 620
    Personally, after owning mine for 15 months and knowing how good it is, I would purchase a used one (2001 redesign or newer). The leftover warranty is still very good.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    If they are 2001 they sound like rental returns. I know that Hertz has a number of Elantra's in their rental fleet.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I've made a number of offers on used Hyundai Elantras and Sonatas. Price was usually higher than Edmunds, dealers refused to budge much and cars always moved quickly.

Always thought it was odd that there are "wholesalers" on these boards who talk about Hyundais and Kias going at 50 cents on the Edmunds/BlackBook/Kelley dollar-- i.e. "I paid $3000 for a 2000 Elantra in clean condition at auction, blah,blah,blah" and yet my experience has been high asking prices at the dealer level.

Apparently these things are cash cows by dealers, pay nothing and sell for top bucks!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I saw a good example of a good used Elantra, a couple weeks ago. The one my friend was gonna get. 2001 automatic, base model (but with CD changer), 21.5K miles. Only $7999. That's a good deal if you ask me.
  • The average price was around $8-$8,500. The cars varied with different options but I really thought the asking price was fair. The miles I saw were between 12k to 20k. The ones I saw were automatics and I kinda like stick shifts but for the price I think I can forget about that. If I car fax them and everything is on the up and up I think Ill go for it.
  • canpamcanpam Posts: 24
    Is it just me or am I putting alot of miles on my vehicle? This car has provided my wife and I with trouble free commuting which is much more than I could say for our last automobile! I'm really impress with the Elantra's performance and reliability. If this car holds up I may be a "Hyundai" only shopper- my next purchase may be a Santa Fe. I believe this car is one of the best investments in America. (IMHO)
  • Yes you do drive alot. I would hate to see your drive to work every day. Are you driving lots of freeway or city?
    about 7K miles more than my last cars. It's because it's so much fun to drive!
    I thought I was putting sort of high miles on my car (20K in 15 months), but 33K -- wow! As long as it is trouble-free like mine has been. Frankly, I never worry about adding miles to my cars. I like seeing how high they'll go (personal record: 227K).
    I had a 99 Protege, bought October 99 with 3000 miles on it. Traded Feb. 2001 with 38.364 miles. My personal highest (I think) is 9364 miles in 3 months on the 1996 (used) Cavalier I had. It pretty much fell apart (with only 40K - surprise, surprise!) and I traded it for the Protege.

My one-way commute to work is 35 miles daily. And my 2002 Jetta will be a year old on Nov. 3, and it currently has 24,565 miles as of today.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    As of today, my 2001 Toyota Echo has 53000 miles in 19 months. My commute is 43 miles, one way.
    Not one problem so far, average MPG 41.8 (US gallons).
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    I bought my 2002 on the 31st of Dec., 2001. No big problems yet, though I intend to have the dealer replace the DS tweeter the first time I go in for any type of "real" service (I prefer to change the oil and filters myself). I think I pretty much cooked that puppy back in May when I had the Strokes cranked up full volume everywhere I went.

Fuel economy improved DRAMATICALLY after about 10K. For the last few tankfuls, I've been averaging 38mpg (I switched my hours at work so I miss both the morning and afternoon rush hours - now I don't have all the stop-and-go dragging my MPG's down anymore).

I still love my car. Plus, I get compliments on how it looks all the time (how often do you get those in a $13K car?).
  • mij325mij325 Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a used 1998 Hyundai Elantra GLS with low miles at a reasonable price. I have read positive reviews about this car, but I'm still a little skeptical. Are there any problems that are common to this car? Or is it really as good as the reviews make it seem? Also, how much are shocks/struts for this model? I'm open to any advice or suggestion anyone may have. Thanks!
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    Most of the positive comments are regarding 2001 & newer Elantras. Prior to the current models, some Hyundais were a little more hit and miss and the quality may not be as overall high as it is today.

Being a second owner, you should also investigate how much, if any, warranty protection remains on the car you're interested in. The 10/100 warranty is not transferred at 100% to 2nd owners.
  • mij325mij325 Posts: 4
    Thank you, fushigi! I will take take that into consideration, and I will surely look into any warranty remaining. I really appreciate your input.
  • canpamcanpam Posts: 24
    I generally drive 70% city & 30% highway! The commute in and around the Philly area (Rt 76, & 202)!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    I think the 10/100 powertrain warranty started in '99, so it may be a moot point for the '98 Elantra you are looking at. There may still be some bumper-to-bumper warranty left, however. The '96-'00 generation were good cars, but not nearly in the class of the current generation. As with any used car, try to make sure it's had proper maintenance.
    unlike the "greatest car line available to the public" postings, this one just disappeared. Or am I hallucinating?

I'm pushing 27K miles on my '01 GLS and like it more and more. Best car I've ever had!!!
    I think that board diappeared because Honda is no longer the best car made out there. People are paying high prices for nothing now. :(
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, it seems that a software glitch may have claimed it. That's the impression I've gotten.
  • i was reading it theotherday and i didn't finish the posts . i can back to finish it asnd it was gone .
  • I am interested in hearing from any 2001 Elantra owners who have similar mileage (65,000) and have really tested the reliability of this vehicle. My Elantra is a manual shift, and has been in and out of the shop since 18,000 miles for serious transmission, clutch, engine and electronic problems. I am an experienced driver who has not abused this car, but I would like to hear from others with similar mileage to determine if I have a lemon, or if this model car just has a lot of problems after being driven a while. Thank heavens for the Hyundai Protection Plan, although my second clutch (at 55,000) was on my dime to the tune of $1,000. I have never had a clutch wear out that quickly unless it's abused. I'm currently waiting for them to install a new engine (under warranty). Anyone else out there with similar mileage or problems?
    Sounds like you got one of the random lemon cars that every manufacturer puts out now and again. :( Good luck with it.

And it's wayyy too late to have the classified as a lemon, if that's what you meant.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Could you describe in detail all the problems you have had? What is the clutch doing that required its replacement? Why do you need a new engine? Clutch and transmission problems are completely different, so what issue do you have with the actual transmission? You are out of luck as far as the lemon law is concerned because your car has too many miles.
  • The lemon law goes back to the mileage when the 1st problem was reported, and I have been working on that issue for several months. As far as problems, without going into too much detail, the inital clutch/transmission problems started when the clutch started to bind, or feel stiff when applying, and the car was difficult to put into 3rd or 4th gear. It finally became impossible to use 3rd gear. Out of that, under warranty, the transmission was replaced and the clutch and cover were replaced, because the dealership said a bad throwout bearing starting all of the problems (yet they didn't replace the bearing). Over the months I have had the throttle sensor replaced 3 times, fuel injectors once, oxygen sensor once. The check engine light came on, and ultimately, the engine needed to be rebuilt (heads were machined, twice, etc.). Started to have clutch/transmission problems again, and a different dealership said clutch was worn out. I had to pay for that replacement. I believe clutch wore out prematurely because flywheel wasn't machined and clutch bearing wasn't replaced in the warranty work at the other dealership. Even after clutch work this last time, I still had intermittent problems with hydraulic pressure in clutch, as well as difficulty downshifting into 2nd gear. The latest episode is the car started profusely, and without warning, leaking oil from underneath. Original diagnosis was a cam seal, but turned out to be a bad crank which broke the seal. They are now installing a new short block, crank, etc. under warranty, and they said my clutch/transmission problems were also due to the bad crank. There have been other, small items replaced and/or repaired, and the car has been in the shop close to 40 days over the last 18 mos. I have not driven this car hard. I've been driving cars with a clutch for 34 years, and I've had the oil changed every 3000-4000 miles. It's sad, because I love the performance and look of the car, and I do believe that I just got a true lemon. I have never had so many major things go wrong with any type of vehicle I have owned, and again, I'm just thankful that I bought the extended Hyundai Protection Plan because I don't know what I would be doing right now without it.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Good lord! I think you're right. It has to be a lemon as no one else has mentioned any problems even close to the severity of yours. I hope you do get it bought back under the lemon law if you still can. It's a tough fight, but worth it. My sister got Honda to replace her minivan without deducting for mileage.

Here's a curiousity though: My 00 Accent also had problems with the throw-out release bearing. It made a whistling/rubbing sound whenever the clutch pedal was in the up position. They agreed it was bad and replaced it but also replaced the clutch without me complaining about it. The noise has since come back but to a lesser degree. I wonder if something else is causing the bearing to wear out too quick.
    I would be LIVID if something like this happened to my Elantra (or apoplectic). Especially after owning a 5-speed Mercury Lynx for 10 years with no clutch trouble, sold with original at 227K miles. Lovinhockeymom, my highest regards to you for your patience, but Hyundai -- or your dealer -- needs to do right by you.
  • Edmunds just picked the Elantra as the Editors' Best Car under $15K. Needless to say-I agree! My Elantra has been great.
    Elantra is, of course, an excellent choice for that award. Good job, Hyundai!

Someone in the Sonata threads mentioned that Consumer Reports has given a "recommended" rating to the Sonata, indicating that quality has risen quite a bit. I haven't seen the latest issue yet, but I hope that this turns out to be true.