Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• slexyslexy Posts: 31
    Thanks for the response, eadlu. My Dunlops are the SP 270's with the same wear rating and probably about the same price on tirerack.com. It may be the same tire with a new name? But, the Bridgestones may get more than 30K mi.(Revo's were rated for 40,000 mil.) and cost about $180 which means a $200 savings on four tires.

I also would not take a chance on damaging the rotors, but at an extra 10,000 mi. (5,000 per one milimeter), and then I was told there are still 2 milimeters before you get to the rotors, it may pay to go for awhile after the warning light comes on? In other words there are about 4 milimeters of pad wear from the time the light comes on till you hit the rotor. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    stlouisslim - I would have to say that is a fantastic price for the car. I assume it has the chrome 17' wheels, etc. If I read your screen name correctly, you are in St. Louis and that blows away what they can do here in Kansas City. We do, however, price much better than they do on the coasts from what I see in the posts.
  • tdo123: Actually I went with the all season tires. I don't throw a car around curves as much as in my Triumph Spitfire days and I'm much more into a smooth ride. Also, I'd like to get more than 15,000 miles on a set of tires. My real concern is whether the dealer can get the car here in 3 weeks.
  • chitungchitung Posts: 18
    Lexus is too cheap for not to have rear-view mirror memory like MB. What's wrong? A luxury car can't be like that. Lexus must implement this in their both ES and LS models.
  • OK, my Custom Lux is coming in two weeks with more do-dads than I ordered. It's Black Onyx/Bordeux Maple with Euro Suspension and Chrome Wheels. Dealer said that since he already gave me $3600 off, he would have to charge list price for the wheels. But he said that he might be able to switch them for standard wheels if he could find another buyer to swap with. How much better does the chrome look? Also, my wife is thinking of the gold trim package. How much is that? How does it look with black? Jeez, this is the same way we ended up with the world's most expensive Saturn three years ago.

Slim
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    In my opinion the gold package looks great with Black...and I think it's only about $200 or so. Go for it, particularly if it will make the wife happy.
    As for the chrome wheels, I preferred them and got them on my silver 02 LS w/ custom lux pkg. But I think the dealer is trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. If he/she really wants to sell a car that meets your needs, they should be able to swap out the wheels in any direction. For example, my car came from Japan without the chromes, but it only took them a nanosecond to figure how to put them on. So, it shouldn't take much more time for them to figure out how to take the chromes off. They're trying to make a few bucks off you. My advise is...keep pushing or go somewhere else!!
  • OK, I think I've figured out the wheels. Now I need to work on the Gold. Anybody know exactly what's in a Gold Trim Kit for an LS430? Anybody know its invoice/list/TMV cost. Thanks
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    you add the gold just completely debadge it, completely dark car with chrome wheels would be stunning.

You could always add the gold later when you enter the world's oldest trade.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    They were silent on 2003 LS430 changes in the most recent mailing I received. Never even mentioned the car in the future changes section. But they hinted that we are in for further changes in the 2003 line than the ones they mentioned.

Gold package - I had it on the 98 LS400 and though I liked it at first (exterior color was black) I actually got tired of it rather quickly and thought it cheapened the car. Just my opinion but make sure you think it'll have staying power with you before you take it. I got them to throw it in free but in the end wished I had passed on it and my wife felt the same way.
  • feverhartfeverhart Posts: 144
    On the other hand, my wife's 98 LS400 and my LS430 both have the gold package. I think it looks stunning and adds to the appearance.

Of course that is just a personal preference like my definate preference for the external shape of the LS430 over the S500. (I saw a green S500 in the parking lot the other day and thought the LS430 to be much bolder and distinctive in appearance).
  • edarteedarte Posts: 41
    On several occasions in the past I have used the "Owners" section of Lexus.com to send emails to Lexus regarding questions I have on my LS.

Today, when I tried to go there, I find that not only does it not appear possible to access my previous posts (which I could do before) but all links to "email Lexus" return an error.

Have others had this problem? Is it only temporary due to site design? Or is this Lexus' new level of customer service?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    It's probably just down. I've tried getting in before and got error messages...but was able to get on again the next day. Guess the site crashes when there are too many satisfied customers trying to get in ... lol
    But seriously...I'm about as satisfied with my new LS430 as one can be.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I actually did not receive the last issue of insidelexus.com with the GS 300 Sportdesign. When I called Lexus they said they have nothing to do with that publication.

Does anybody know who I can contact to get put back on the mailing list? I guess it's possible the last issue simply got lost in the mail.

As for the gold package, I don't like it at all. I really think it cheapens the car. Mercedes and BMW do not even allow such an option because of this. But, that's just me. If you like it then get it.
  • ifpskenifpsken Posts: 39
    On my existing and prior LS400 I chose to accept the standard wheels and then replaced the stock wheels with chromed wheels provided by an aftermarket supplier, Autoweek classifieds has ads offering the chrome wheels. The dealer price was $1900 and I purchased the chromed Lexus wheels for $550 installed, Saved $1350!!!!

Or another option is to accept the stock wheels, buy aftermarket wheels and have an LS that differs from the other LS' out there with your selection of a different wheel. It would not be too much more in price when compared to the dealer chrome prices. Road & Track or Automobile magazines have ads of discounted wheel prices.

I had the dealer remove the gold package that they had installed on our LX470. The price was too high and gold packages I have seen that are a few years old are losing the gold plating. I requested that they leave the trim off and I like that clean/uncluttered look. The trim on the LX is secured only by an adhesive backing and the trim on my '99 LS is secured through the trunk lid (holes). I believe your option is only the gold or stock chrome otherwise you would have to have bodywork to fill the holes then paint.
  • superglidesuperglide Posts: 65
    A friend of mine has a 99 LS400 that I've ridden in several times... and drove 120 miles recently. I am absolutely AMAZED at the gas mileage that it seems to get. Most of the time we're doing freeway driving, but usually he's done some city driving before he picks me up so it's an average between city and highway. Last time I climbed aboard, the tank average said 23 and by the time we had driven 120 miles on the freeway, it was up to 25. I knew that I had seen it in excess of 27 before, so when it was my turn to drive, I consciously tried to see how high I could get it. I drove the next 120 miles back from Reno to Sacramento and by the time I got to Sacramento it was at 29.2. I've been in several economy runs with Corvettes, and know how to get the best gas mileage out of whatever I drive, so I babied it up the hills at 15 MPG, and let it fly down the hills at 99.9 MPG, but I'm still amazed. I was hoping to get some insight on this discussion board... but everyone's more concerned about gold packages and chrome wheels than the stuff I look for in vehicles... LOL I'm 57 and retired, sold Chevrolets from 71-74, I'm on vehicle #50 and Motorcycle #14... including 8 Corvettes and a smattering of other vehicles of all kinds... most recently I'm stuck on Toyota trucks because I love them, and there's nothing u can drive for less money. I just wish Toyota would make a deluxe small truck with a V8 that would get 29 MPG :-) So, I know it doesn't matter what gas costs to someone that pays over $50K for a car... but is this a rare LS400, or do all of u get this kind of mileage... and if so, why isn't someone raising the flag to tell the rest of the world?
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Posts: 122
    I have 2002 LS430 and have experienced the wipers coming on after sitting in the sun parked for several hours. I live in Dallas--it's hot.

Can anyone provide me with tech info so I can advise my Lexus dealer (Park Place of Plano) of the fix, as their only answer is "it happens"
    I averaged 30mpg on a 1200 mile trip to and from Myrtle Beach in my 98 LS400. For the most part these cars get 19-25 mpg (both LS400 and 430). On the 2001 LS430 I average out at 22-23mpg with a mix of city and I'll call it "dirty highway" driving. In the NY metro area, as in most big cities you never really get clean highway driving. But if you take a trip down a coastal highway like I-95 and you miss the Baltimore and DC area traffic jams, you can get to 30mpg even at 75-85mph. And yes, even though the car costs a decent amount I still care about mpg and it will always bother me if I see gas cheaper at the next station than what I just paid. Some things never change.
    You can write to them at InsideLexus, PO Box 899 Brea,CA 92822-9896.

If Lexus has nothing to do with this than someone has violated some of their most important copyrights and trademarks. No question this is a Lexus pub as they even have a post paid business reply if you are interested in the GX470. Probably the department you got in touch with has nothing to do with the pub but the pub is as Lexus as you can get. By the way the repy goes to the same address except the header is Lexus rather than InsideLexus if its about the GX.
  • jsb16jsb16 Posts: 64
    Can someone give me a target price on a 2002 Ls 430 with ML/NAV in the Chicago area? I seem to recall seeing someone mention a price like $54,800 but a salesman at Woodfield Lexus called me to get me to look at a 2001 trade-in (non-certified) with 16K miles with ML/NAV, Lexus Link and 17" Chromes and told me they wanted $55K for it. When I told him that seemed very high and mentioned this other number for a new 2002 model, he told me they have never sold them that low at the dealership. I could go either way on a good 2001 or a 2002 but I would expect a price below 48K for the used vehicle if the new ones sell for under 55K. Thanks.