Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• The back seems identical to the previous years, how is it different? The front end is obviously sleeker (looks great).
  • I had this problem. The passenger side vent stopped moving automatically. It was fixed under warranty. I suspect my passenger tried to adjust it while it was swinging.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Haven't posted here in a couple of months.
    In November I bought a '95 LS 400 on ebay for $9775.
    Had the car shipped to my home.
    I put 1100 miles on it but found the headroom insufficient.

I am in the process of trying to buy a Cadillac SRX and was offered about 7K wholesale.
    Put it in the paper at $9600 seriously undercutting my closest competitor by $1400.
    Sold it Thursday for $8775 and was glad to get it.

The ebay seller had not disclosed the spark knock, high idle, worn hood struts and missing cd magazine.

Overall I am happy with my 3 months of Lexus ownership.
    I now know that it is not the car for me.
    i got lots of compliments on it and it impressed my clients (more than me).
    I will never buy another car with more than 100K on it no matter how well it has been maintained.
    great learning experience that cost about $2200 for 3 months of ownership.
  • The back end had a minor change. The lens has now a complete clear line instead of clear then yellow. Also look at the bottome of the bumber. The exhaust pipes are now exposed.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Below are the changes to the back end of the 2004 LS 430:

1. Tailights lose the orange turn indicator in favor of clear
    2. Tailights when applied are LED (like on the RX 330)
    3. The inner sides of the tailights (closer to the license plate) are angled out more - at the top of the lights, they come to a point right where they meet the trunk line instead of going up and then having a little horizontal piece on the trunk
    4. The chrome bar above the license plate extends past the license plate opening instead of stopping where the opening ends
    5. The dual exhaust now shows through the bumper
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    A corporate website:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =2004ls430_s

provides everything anyone would want to know about 2004 changes.

Audiophiles might want to note "The available Mark Levinson audio system is upgraded for 2004 with selectable Position Optimized Sound"...I wonder if that means that you can switch the stereo to offer optimal sound for the driver, for instance?
  • 2001 LS 430

I backed the auto into the garage, then I pulled the lever to open the trunk.

I heard the phone ringing and left the auto without opening the trunk. I did not use the auto for several days. When I tried to start the auto the battery was stone dead.

The reason: when the trunk lever is pulled the trunk opens about an inch, enough to turn on the inside trunk light, this light was on for several days.

I shall not have this problem again, I have removed the bulb in the trunk light.
    Still haven't bought an LS yet but I found 2 different cars that interest me.
    A '99 with 102,000 miles and a '95 with 47,000 miles. They are within $2,000 of each other.

Which one is the better long term "investment"?

The'99 has the 290 hp engine and 5 speed.

The '95 has much lower mileage.

Do you think the timing belt will need to be changed on the '95 due to age issues?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    That will also happen if you leave a door open by accident and have the headlights on auto. They only shut off when all four doors are properly closed. Since they stay on about 45 seconds after you close the doors properly anyway it is relatively easy to make the mistake of leaving a door open slightly and thinking the lights will still shut off. But they won't.
  • Thanks so much for pressroom... I printed so I could work on my order.Looks like I am going to need winter tires and wheels.
  • Good info on the Toyota press web site. Thanks.

Some great stuff on the '04 LS including a sport package (woo hoo!).
  • If Lexus truly wants to compete with MB and BMW, it should offer an LS sedan with a V12 engine. LS 600 (6.0L) sounds like a logical name. It should have somewhere between 450 to 500 Hp. BTW, Toyota does make a V12 powered car for Japan only. It is called the Century.
  • If MB & BMW want to truly compete with Lexus they should start by building cars of higher quality and listen to what the buyers want not what they want to build.
  • ljflx, maybed due to my frustration with local viewing of Mars conditions (rain/clouds almost every nite) I missed something here - but wouldn't the autoclosing doors prevent your light burn out problem. I thought that was one of the primary purposes of that system. Clouds suck.
  • I read with great interest and anticipation that the 04 LS would have an optional SmartAccess system that "allows remote locking and unlocking of doors, open trunk and engine start, all without inserting a key." This sounded to me like I could press the remote button from inside an air-conditioned building and have my car start its engine and its air conditioner, so that by the time I walk out to it and open the door, it would already be nice and cool inside (I'm speaking from too-hot Southern California).

So I was very disappointed when I read further and found: "Engine Start: Once the key is detected, the vehicle can be started by simply turning the ignition switch. There is no need to insert the key." What a letdown. Does anybody know why no one makes a car with remote start? Is there not enough of a market for it (too few hot areas)? Or is it a safety thing? Or a legality thing? Or have they simply not yet thought of it?

Waiting for the '05 . . .
    Hey buddy - great to hear from you. Mars has been a great sight at times here in NJ. I had a beautiful view of it over the ocean one night at the Jersey shore. But don't worry - we had plenty of those rainy nights here to.

You've been spoiled by the Ultra my friend. The door closers are standard on it and not available on the other LS models - at least in 2001 & 2002. It's also not just bulb burnout but killing the batttery would be the bigger problem.

Now just so that you don't miss out on anything - there was an excellent story on String theory in this past Tuesday's NY Times science section. If you missed it see if you can still access it on line.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    If buying used, and everything being equal, low milers are always *better* than high milage cars ....

The LS is truly a fine vehicle to own, but can be pricey to fix/maintain especially with high mileage cars. It is a car afterall....

Good luck with your decision.
  • Looking over the corn fields here in Indiana, Mars looks big and beautiful...
     If the headlights are on and switched to automatic they will stay on until the trunk is closed - same as the doors.
     Great car but black is a bear to keep clean. Wish they would make a pearl white.
    Thanks for the reply.
    They are asking 16.9K or OBO for the '95 w/ 47K miles.
    Would like to pay 14.9-15K for it.
    The '95 probably has some maintenance issues due to age.
    My main concern is the timing belt. It is almost 9 years old and is probably marginal.
    I am leaning to the '95 purely because of mileage.
    3-4 years fron now it will have under 100K miles.
    By then the '99 will have 160K miles.
  • Whathill where in Indiana? I am waiting for an 04 in Black.I hope to see new 04 colors in and out soon.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    IMHO, the '95 is a better choice. The $16,9 has OBO with it, so here is a pricing guide to aid your negotiation for your choice .... remember it's just a guide:

http://www.cars.com/advice/advice_carprices.jhtml?aff=national

The Black Book is a relatively *safe* guide than edmunds or KBB...

Good luck and let us know how it turned out...
    For those interested in the 2004 I was at my dealer on Saturday and they had one in the showroom. It did not have a standard window sticker; instead it had a big Lexus sticker saying it was a 2004 preview model that could not be opened, driven or sold.

The car was silver with the 17" six-spoke wheels. I was hoping it would have the saddle interior so I could check that color out on the LS but it had a light interior (ecru I believe).

They also had small preview brochures showing the front, side, back and interior. Oddly enough the brochure does not mention many of the cool new features.
  • I live in Chesterton (northwest IN) but I bought my black '01 ultra at Fort Wayne Lexus. Excellent dealership for service. They will pick my car up for service and deliver it even though I am 110 miles away. I can't say enough about the service I have received from them.
      I seem to get more stone chips in the front than any car we've had and they really show on a black car. Beautiful when it's polished though.
      Carguyay, are you from IN? What dealership are you dealing with?
    So how did you like it and how do you rate it vs. the 2001-3 models. What did you think of the front re-design?
    I've always been a big fan of the LS, and I like the 2004 a lot. The new styling touches make the car seem a bit more aggressive in person (without being overdone or tacky), especially the new headlight lenses and the way the tailpipes stick out of the rear bumper. I'm sure the 18" wheels would enhance the look even more.

That being said, the changes are very subtle. I would think most people would not even notice the changes unless they were very familiar with the 2003 or were looking at the 2003 and 2004 side by side.

Lexus seems to have successfully updated the car without making the 2003 look outdated.
  • I follow auto news and am a Lexus fan. Isn't the current LS fairly new? If memory serves me, doesn't Lexus also have a fairly long life cycle for its models? I've seen talk of the new LS, and it seems out of character for Lexus to be marketing a new version of such a young model.
    It is a little quicker cycle than before but not much.
    '90 was first year. '93 got 16" wheels which made the car look 100% better.
    '95 got a new body with increased rear seat legroom.
    '98 was another body style change(but much less than the '95 changes) with new motor and 5 speed auto.
    '90-98 cars were all variations on a theme.
    '01 was a completely new body.
    So the '04 changes are not any sooner than the '95 to '98 change.
  • The a/c was fixed today, second trip. Our salesman said they had just finished the best month the dealership has ever had Charleston s.c... Their inventory is almost out and the cars to be delivered are all sold.. They are doing a little too good. Tony
  • My tires need replacing on my 2000 LS400. It came with Dunlops. What would be the best tire for ride and noise? We live in Missouri so we have to deal with some snow as well.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Saw this link on a clublexus board: http://www.nctd.com/review-final.cfm?ReviewID=1432

Personally, I'm still waiting for AWD. Guess I'm in for a long wait.