Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    HOORAY!!!! I've been looking for this information everywhere!!! Now my wife can look for restaurants, parks, shops, etc. while I drive. Thanks for the info!!!!

How often have we gotten into the car, started driving and THEN we remember we wanted to use the nav to help us get to our destination. So my wife then tries to frantically press buttons at the stop lights -- NO MORE!!!!

Again, thanks!
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Dadcat, where do you get this precious information? Do you have any other tidbits that we have all been praying for?

Thanks a bunch -- Renny
  • Options
    pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Congrats on your longevity! It sounds like you have put 236K miles on it in the last three years or about 79K miles/year. If you don't mind me asking what do you do to put so many miles on your car each year?? This is the equivalent of more than three trips around the earth each year, one H... of a lot of miles. The mileage norm is probably 10-15K/year so you are way over that. No doubt having a Lexus is a major plus here, but do you have any specific maintenance tips, etc? What do you do to your car to put such incredible miles on each year?
  • Options
    mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    mr. msabba :
    there are two ( 2 ) questions on the table from you.

1- dialing a phone number on the fly :
    dial the phone number from your handset and press send .
    the handset will bond with bluetooth and show on the
    nav screen ... and connect hands free .
    volume and " off " are still controlled on the steering wheel or touch screen .

2 - entering a destination on the fly :
    pull over to a safe shoulder or area on the road , take 2 minutes and enter the destination input , and drive safely back on the freeway .

happy motoring ....

mitchell rowe
  • Options
    dadcatdadcat Member Posts: 29
    rennybosch: You can find smilar info by a search for "Enter Destinations While Driving" Other mods exist for the Prius, but are not available for Lexus vehicles. A company in FL (Coastal Electronics Technology) has developed Plug-N-Play hardware mods (including disclaimer screen and phone) for the Prius.

msabba, gteach26: You're welcome!

mitchell rowe: " entering a destination on the fly: pull over to a safe shoulder or area on the road , take 2 minutes and enter the destination input , and drive safely back on the freeway."
    Sometimes pulling over to the side of the road is not a very safe operation, seeing how often emergency service workers and vehicles get hit on the off-the-road shoulders. The safest option is to have your passenger operate the NAV.
    I think BMW and Mercedes updated their earlier NAV systems to remove the "enter destinations lockout" after hearing numerous complaints. Honda/Acura does not lockout their NAV/phone, but their voice recognition input of destinations/phone is a generation ahead of most others. Apparently, the lawyers are currently still in control at Toyota/Lexus.
  • Options
    mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    I am in the process of buying a new 2005 custom luxury. The dealer says that the 18 inch wheels cannot be replaced with 17 inch wheels because, among other things, this will change the odometer readings. Is any of this true? Are 17 inch wheels more comfortable, which is what I want? Many thanks for your replies and help.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    The dealer says that the 18 inch wheels cannot be replaced with 17 inch wheels because, among other things, this will change the odometer readings.

The part about the odometer readings is idiotic. As long as the diameter of the TIRE remains the same, the odo would be uneffected.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Several previous posters on the board have swapped out tires on purchase. Sounds to me like you have a salesman who is too lazy to go through the dealer hierarchy approval process. If the salesman remains stubborn why don't you see or call the manager of the dealership. Every LS is usually driven 25 test miles so your 18" tires technically have some very minor wear vs new ones he would put on. That is the only thing I can think he means when he references the ODO. I can't imagine he means the actual dashboard ODO.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Every LS with the navigation system has a calibration menu to accurately reset the onboard computer for even minor differences in tire diameter after a set has been replaced.

Also, 17 inch wheels will fit a 2005 LS with 18 inch wheels without any clearance problems. The tire size of course will need to be chosen to compensate for the smaller wheel size, so that the overall rolling diameter of the entire assembly is close to stock. The final small variation can be dialled out using the calibration facility.
  • Options
    cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    My dealer is only offering the 18" wheels on new cars. Ok, they look sportier, but the ride is harsh (compared to 17"), tires wear out quicker, more prone to balance and alignment problems and the dealer charges more. What's the draw to the 18"?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    only.

For sports car they do provide a bit more stability and controlability but it's hard to imagine an LS being driven so far near the "edge" that 18's will make a difference.
  • Options
    sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi all,
    My LS430 has those tires too..The ride and quietness suffer to a degree but still are in the "acceptable" range. I use 17" wheels for my winter tires and there is no problems. I had those same rims for my 2002 LS430. It's yet another one of those things done for fashion, along with needless electronics. I wonder if there is anyone out there with over 125K on a '01 LS430 to tell us how things have held up.

SV
  • Options
    garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    For sports car they do provide a bit more stability and controlability but it's hard to imagine an LS being driven so far near the "edge" that 18's will make a difference.

I have to disagree. IMO, I found the UHP 18" tires to corner noticeably better, and I personally utilize that difference even in non-highway driving. But there is a trade-off in slightly more road noise and perhaps a little bit of vibration coming through the steering wheel (although the latter may be just an alignment issue as mentioned by cove148). For me -- coming out of MBs and BMWs -- the trade-off was worth it. But you need to drive each version to decide for yourself. If you are satisfied with the handling with the 17" wheels, then go with them -- they'll last a bit longer as well.
  • Options
    I have a 2005 LS430 with a low tire recently due to a nail. The problem is fixed but now the low tire pressure warning is lit up with that darn ANNOYING red exclamation mark lighting up my otherwise gorgeous dash (yes the same ANNOYING light that comes on with a BEEP evry 60 seconds when the windshield washer fluid is low).

Anyhow -- the manual states there is a reset switch under the steering wheel on the right side -- I've looked very carefully -- but NO switch! Am I missing something? The manual shows the switch clearly but I can't see it on the car itself!!

Please help me find this switch on the 05's!!! THANKS!!!!
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I'm sure it's there. As I recall, it's a reset button (not a switch). There are two buttons according to the manual. I forgot what the other one is for. I believe they are just below ignition switch under the dash. It's almost easier to feel for them if you have the manual to reference. I do remember that I reset my tire pressure reset but it did keep coming back frequently and the dealer had to recalibrate it. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks rgsw.

However, I think I have officially gone crazy. I am looking for those buttons down there (supposedly there's a volume knob a smart key button and tire reset switch) but I cannot find them! Did these buttons disappear on the '05 models?

I'm looking at the manual, I'm under the steering column with a flashlight -- no buttons! I'll have someone else take a look -- perhaps fresh eyes will prevail. Can anyone confirm that those buttons exist on the 05 model?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi gteach,
    I have an '05 and can verify they are there. One is the volume control for Tone the car makes when you operate the remote. The Other Two buttons are the Tire Reset and Smart Key On/Off Switch. Best way to find it is look where your gas pedal is and move upward parallel to the ignition. I had to kneel all the way down on the floor of the car to find it.
    If you need any more help, let me know, I can send you a digital picture of the area.

SV
  • Options
    They are there on my 2005 LS430. They are difficult to find because they are not mounted on the dash apron but are in fact forward of the dash bottom a few inches, on the right side of the steering wheel when you are behind the wheel.
  • Options
    Thanks a million folks. I finally realized the buttons are actually UNDER the dash -- the manual makes it seem like the buttons and knob face the driver.

Problem solved. Were it not for this board I would've had to pay the service department a visit over this silly, simple process.

Again -- THANKS!!
  • Options
    My tires are inflated properly but the tire pressure warning light keeps coming on every 10 miles or so and I have to keep resetting it. I guess I'm going to have to go in for service after all. I'm waiting for the 15K service though -- I just can't push myself to go in just for this.

Wonderful car, wonderful gadgets -- it's just a shame that "normal folks" can't do simple things on the car without having to take the car in and waste time at a service department. You bet I'll be drinking the bottled water and eating the doughnuts while I'm there!
  • Options
    mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Does anyone know of a button sequence that will enable me to get destinations while moving in the 2003 LS 430. Tried dadcat's procedure but doesn't work in the 2003. Would be curious as to how you figured out that procedure in the 2005 dadcat.
  • Options
    chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    When using the reset button under the dash, you need to not only cause the "LOW TIRE" message to disappear, but you have to hold it long enough to get the message "PRESSURE INITIAL" to appear, or else the "LOW TIRE" will soon reappear.
  • Options
    chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Dadcat's procedure works on my 2004 LS. I am grateful for this information dadcat.
  • Options
    I'll give it a try.. thanks!
  • Options
    I've had to reset the tire pressure several times; however, I'm not sure I waited for the readout "Initial Pressurization". The manual is not always complete, thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Verizon has published the latest on the class action at
    http://www.VerizonWireless.com/V710Settlement
    Capsule summary: If you bought a Motorola V710 before Jan. 31, 2005 you will get $25. The attorneys will get $6,300,000 plus expenses.
  • Options
    I don't think it's worth the paper work. I still like my phone, it just won't download the phone book to the LS 430. I was confident that Verizon would fix it eventually, even read rumours to that effect here. Guess the fix is $25 credit on your bill.
  • Options
    mmm1 - You can get to the same Service menu on the gen3 (<2004) Lexus nav systems by going to the system options screen. Press the menu button, then choose system option. Press the top left of the screen, bottom left of the screen, top left of the screen, bottom left of the screen, then finally the bottom right. You should get a Service/System menu screen almost like the gen4, which has the Override button to press and hold. Then press the Back button and you are enabled. To get to the system options screen on some cars, press the DVD button from the menu screen to get there. People have tested the procedure successfully on 2001 LS/GS430's. A search for "2001 gs430 nav system menus" will find additional info on nav while moving. There are differences between the gen3/gen4 systems in that you have to be stopped with the gen3 system when entering this procedure or stop after entering this procedure to enable the nav while moving.
    chicagoed - You're welcome!
  • Options
    rjbusenitzrjbusenitz Member Posts: 13
    I have a 90 LS400 with just over 170k miles on it and the power steering just started giving me problems..it is almost impossible to steer the car. I took a look at the rack and it is not leaking, the pump is not leaking, it has plenty of fluid, the belt and pulley are still turning, no noises or anything like that...i'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? Please help me out? :confuse:
  • Options
    etbetb Member Posts: 1
    I imagine that all recent model LS 430 and perhaps other owners can use the following sequence to reset the light:
    1. Push the &#147;ODO/TRIP&#148; button to change the display to
    blank.
    2. Turn the ignition switch off.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to &#147;ON&#148; with the trip meter
    &#147;RESET&#148; button held down.
    4. Keep pushing the &#147;RESET&#148; button for longer than 5
    seconds after the ignition is turned on.
    After the above operation, the master warning light comes
    on, a warning tone sounds and the above message
    appears to inform you that the engine oil maintenance
    data has been reset. (U.S.A. only)

Does anyone know the sequence to reset the service interval light at major services for 2005 LS 430's? (other than oil changes)
    Thanks!
    ET
  • Options
    newlexinewlexi Member Posts: 9
    The suggested navigation override procedure (Menu->System Options-> top left -> bottom left-> top left -> bottom left-> bottom right-> override) works in my 2001 LS430. The problem is that it needs to be performed prior to moving otherwise the System Options button is disabled in motion. On my wife's new GS430 it can be performed (a somewhat different procedure) while in motion.
  • Options
    Dadcat. That information is greatly appreciated. Will try it tonight on the 2003 LX and it sounds like it should also work on my 05 RX. Thanks much.
  • Options
    Dadcat--tried your recommended procedures on my 03 LS and 05 RX and, though slightly different, they worked as advertised. I am especially excited about the way the gen4 system works in the 05 RX since that is the car in which we make most of our long trips. It will be great to have my wife do the setup procedure, enter/change the destinations, and get the POI info as we motor down the highway. That's the kind of info that makes this such a worthwhile forum. Once again, many thanks.
  • Options
    mmm1 - You are very welcome! Glad you able to get the different procedures working on both the gen3 and gen4 Navi's. I have a 2006 RX400h with a gen4 Navi.
  • Options
    airrunairrun Member Posts: 1
    I have went through almost the same experience as you did. It's a crazy thing. But then I actually ran into a gentlemen that was awesome to work with. He gave me all the information that I needed, with no pressure to buy right now. Then two days later we worked out a deal over the phone and emails. He also brought all paperwork to me, I didn't even have to go to the dealership. I can give you his number if you want.

Chase
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Hey, does anybody know what the transmission service interval is on an 02 LS? I've looked through the manual twice, and can't see one until about 100,000 miles. That can't be right, is it????
  • Options
    dvaldval Member Posts: 13
    MY04 has more wind noise than I think is normal, although the dealer thinks it is normal. I am confused because it goes away in the hot weather and is there in the cool and cold weather. The car has 18,000 miles and it's been the same since new. Is it possible that the temp in the summer is expanding the steel and/or glass just enough to do this? Anyone have any thoughts? This wind noise comes from the windshield area and there are no water leaks.
  • Options
    NvBanker,
    The geniuses at Lexus now claim the trans fluid is "Lifetime" fluid...I think this is a really bad idea on their part..Perhaps "Lifetime of the Warranty." This is up there with their denials that the Power Steering Fluid needs to be replaced. I plan on making them do it at 30K intervals like the rest of my LS's. It really depends on how long you plan to own the car. I tend to be a long term owner so hence I follow my own schedules.

Remember the Manufacturer's guidelines only serve to get the car past the warranty period. I believe even the extended warranty doesn't go beyond 100K miles. Jaguar has done a similar thing and long term owners have encountered failures as a result..Most of my friends on the Jag boards will change the fluid irregardless of the dealer's claims at 30K intervals.

hope this helps,
    SV
  • Options
    Dval,
    This is just a guess but perhaps your rubber seals around the windshield are expanding and contracting with the climate changes? Wind noises usually have the rubber seals/weatherstripping as a culprit. I think there are lubricants you can use to ensure it isn't too dry. But seeing as your car is under warranty, I'd make them replace it.

I remember back in 1995 I complained about vibration and Lexus summoned a factory tech with an array of instruments to measure the vibration. At the least, they should do the same for you using a sound meter. I have an '05 and it is completely quiet, and this car shouldn't be any different from yours. Get in contact with Lexus Customer Service to force the dealer to do what it takes to eliminate your problem. You shouldn't have to tolerate that sort of thing from dealer.

SV
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I am thinking something to do with either the rubber seals around the windows or the moon roof is not properly closed?...
  • Options
    Thank you. Ford has also deemed their 5 speed automatic "Filled for LIfe". But that's the life of the transmission, which under perfect conditions, should be about 100,000. However, under imperfect conditions, like everyday driving, is more likely to be 60-80000 miles - but they did it because there was no room for a filler tube to be routed to the top of the engine - so they just said, "It's filled for life!".

I expected much more from Toyota - so I'm hoping they really have a tranny and extraordinary fluid that will last that long, as I don't want to put in a tranny - in fact, I won't. I'll sell the car first.

Anyway, thanks for the info - you're very helpful, and very kind.

nv....
  • Options
    Have you had the car since new? Has it ever been wrecked? I had an S-500 once that had been slightly wrecked, and whistled over 40 MPH. After much exploration, a seal in the left front fender, was found to be missing in the reconstruction, that was allowing a whistle to happen.

But, if it's never been wrecked, Michael may be more on the right track than I.
  • Options
    I asked lexus-parts.com when the new nav DVD is coming out and got a reply saying January 06. They also sent me a pre-order discount code worth $50, so I pre-ordered it.

Note: Instructions for installing it yourself are in Message 4769.
  • Options
    How much is it?
  • Options
    2kls4002kls400 Member Posts: 1
    Plus some other stuff which may be of interest appears here.
  • Options
    How much is it? It's $288 plus shipping ($8.55 for California), but with the pre-order discount it is $238 plus shipping. I believe most Lexus dealers charge in the vicinity of $500 for the update.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Renny:

I have updated and I don't think the cost if the dealer did it would be more then the $288 perhaps the greedy one's would charge $325...

$238 is a great Price.
  • Options
    nadiauknownadiauknow Member Posts: 1
    Extended warranty for the next 4 yrs or up to 100,000 miles should give you a much better resale value when you are ready to sell your LS430. You do not need to pay $2400 for an extended warranty of 4yrs/100,000 miles. Check out Warrantydirect.com for a better Quote. It should not cost you more than $1,835 with Zero deductable for a bumper to bumper 4yrs./100,000 miles warranty. You should be able to demand a good price for your car when you still have 3years and 30,000 miles remaining on the extended warranty. Very smart thinking .Best wishes.
    By the way the prices I mentioned for the extended warranty are for the California MBI which happens to be one of the best available. Check it out.
  • Options
    woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    Got solicited for a Lexus Credit Card. Like most of these, it is hard to tell if it is worth it. They are giving 1.5 points for each dollar of spending, 5 ponts for spending at a dealership, and for $ 60 you can join the travel program that will entitle you to fllights without restrions (so they say) though they do not say how many miles it would be per ticket. They do say you can use 50,000 points at $60 per 6000 points, for up to 10% of the cost of a new lexus, as well as pay for service at dealers as well. I read and reread, and I still can't tell if this should replace my usual card which is about 25000 miles for a round trip coast to coast flight, worth perhaps $400, if you can get a seat. I switched credit cards away from United, to a multiuse airline one, because I cound not get a seat on the flights I wanted, even 6 months in advance, without offering United 40,000 miles instead of 25,000. I figured it was no use collecting miles, if I wasn't going to be able to use them. I had a relationship with United for over 30 years, but that is life.
    Any of you biting on the Lexus Credit Cards. Anyone had any experience with these? :confuse:
  • Options
    hprjrhprjr Member Posts: 24
    Could you please give me the name of the dealership-I have a 2002 RX300 and would like to buy the updated nav cd when it comes available. Thanks