Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I say 92-96. I like the look of 92-94 slightly better. As far as Dodge Stratus goes, I had a 95 Stratus with 2.4L engine, bought it with 56K, and sold it with 94K miles. It was a good, roomy car, with decent highway cruising comfort. It was getting 30-34mpg on the highway. The only problem that I had was a head gasket that cost $380. I guess that was heritant to 95-97 Stratus 2.4L. I replaced the rotors and pads as soon as I bought it. I did it myself and it cost $94. I did not have transmission or premature brake wear that alot of people complain about.

I won't put Dodge Stratus down. If I get good money for my 96 Camry XLE V-6 with 47K miles, I will go back to 2001 Dodge Stratus. The Stratus was very comfortable car on 3+ hour trips.
  • Options
    deejac1deejac1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been leasing Camrys for about 6 years
    and decided to get out of the leasing cycle by buying my '98 Sage LE, whose lease is about to expire. The buyout is $13,800 without a warranty. Car is in good condition, with only 30,800 miles. Does this sound like a good deal?
    Do I owe it to myself to consider buying a new Camry as the dealer is pressuring me to do? He says nobody buys at the end of the lease as the residual is too high, yet my independent checking indicates this is about the market price for such a vehicle. My aim is to get away finally from monthly car payments, leasing or otherwise. Any advice??
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    since you know the history of the car, i would say $13,800 isn't that bad a deal-- it's not like you have to worry whether the car's been abused or anything....

why is the dealer pressuring you to buy a NEW camry?

if you think your leased car is worth $13,800 TO YOU, then buy it and enjoy, and don't worry about what it might be worth to anyone else.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The '01 Camry isn't much different from the '98, so I'd say just keep your '98 if you're happy with it. It's got low miles, and the powertrain warranty will be good for another 2 years.

I've been quite happy with my '97, and it now has 66K miles.
  • Options
    hellooitsmeehellooitsmee Member Posts: 2
    On monday we had an ice/snow storm and my 93 camry slid into a telephone pole and then the whole engine blew up and it was a big mess, so my car is gone... my question is, the insurance company hasn't given me an estimate yet on how much they'll give me, and I really want the same car 'cause I think it did a great job in saving my life...how much do you think I'll get?? The kelley blue book said I should get 8,000 but I heard insurance companies are usually cheap...
  • Options
    rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    Look around and see what people are asking in the newspaper for a similar car. Also check dealer lots to see what they are asking.

Insist that either they pay you what you think you should get, or have them buy you one of those cars in the ads. You pay years of insurance premiums for days like this. Don't settle for an amount that you won't be able to buy the same car.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Quaker State just introduced its Higher Mileage Engine motor oil too. This oil is designed for engines over 75,000 miles and contains additives that cause engine seals to prevent leaks, prevents loss of engine compression, and provides better protection for worn engine parts. "Popular
    Mechanics" magazine states that it costs approximately $2.29 a quart. Quaker State's web site is http://www.quakerstate.com I do not know if this works or if it is just hype. I wonder if any mechanics on this site can provide info on this type of product.
  • Options
    hellooitsmeehellooitsmee Member Posts: 2
    I'll definitely take your advice...

I was also wondering if I should maybe buy a corolla..I figured I could either get like a 93 camry or a 95 or 96 corolla for the same price.. but I dont know if there's a big difference in the 2 models...would I be sacrificing safety or quality? Why is there such a price difference??
  • Options
    cbus_19cbus_19 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know a Web site out there where I can see the 2002 Camry body style? Still too early?
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I can't take credit for this one. The following link was posted here about 2 weeks ago by another participant. While I can't vouch for the authenticity of it, these pics match a verbal description I got from my district manager.

http://mag-x.com/scoop/camry0101/index.html

• Options
    bjl5bjl5 Member Posts: 24
    At what mileage do 4 cyl.Camry on a average need timing chain replacement?
  • Options
    i think the pre 97 models-- timing chain every 60000 miles or so--- i think on the 97 and up models the timing chain is every 100000 miles--- you may wait to have someone else verify this.
  • Options
    rai! I think you may be confusing timing chains which are constructed of steel, with timing belt which are made of rubber with some kind of synthetic fiber strands inside. Belts have a life of 60K to 90K miles, but I am not sure of the steel chains, for some reason mfgr's generally don't secify a mileage.
  • Options
    The 1997 model calls for replacement every 60K miles (4 cyl and V6); 1998 and later every 90K miles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the timing belts. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    bbutkibbutki Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I just bought a used 2000 Camry LE ($15,000 with 16,000 miles). I love it so far, but I have a problem. The car came equipped with the optional keyless entry, but the seller said that both remotes were lost. Anyway, I called a local dealer, and he quoted a price of $100 per remote (I'd probably want two) PLUS $35 to program them. This seems insane. Anybody got any advice?
  • Options
    wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    After my wife lost one of my key with the remote, that's what my dealer told me as well. $100 per remote, and $30 to program. I think that's a rip off! But I can't think of where else you could get it.

So in the end, I decided not to get one (still got one remote left), and vowed not to let my wife drive my car again. :)
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I think I've seen some for sale on Ebay. You could buy them there and then have the dealer program. Other option, try www.toyotaparts4u.com they are usually 25% cheaper for parts than the dealer so you could save a little bit. I buy my oil filters from them dirt cheap compared to the local dealers.
  • Options
    simple-- get an aftermarket keyless system -- $100--- you'll have 2 remotes--- they'll have it installed in an hour. i had a keyless installed on a 95 camry coupe years ago-- it worked fine. look in the phone book under car stereo/security/audio--- give a few of the places a call and get a quote.
  • Options
    kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    A buddy of mine just bought a used 98 Camry LE, 4 cylinder with 33,000 miles on it. Just curious as to the experiences people have had with this car? Any pitfalls to look out for?
  • Options
    zoodrowzoodrow Member Posts: 4
    I own a 98 Camry LE 4 cylinder 34,000 miles and have noticed the following:
    1)ticking sound coming from the left front dashboard area when the car is idling in Park or Drive. The sound is more consistent when the car is idling in Drive (e.g. at a traffic light) and when the engine is warm. There is no ticking sound when the RPM exceeds the 1 mark on the Tachometer.
    2)Creaking sound coming from around the steering area when I make turns while driving.
    Has any one experienced these noises and how were they fixed?
  • Options
    Pitfalls to look for: change the oil and filter frequently, 3 to 5K miles, regardless of what the maintenance manual calls for. See "Engine Sludge?" in Maintenance and Repair for more info, but don't believe everything you read in there.

Also, like any front-wheel drive vehicle, rotate the tires frequently (~7500 miles). There are lots of complaints about tire vibration, pulling to one side, etc. I haven't had any tire/wheel/alignment problems in my '97 Camry LE 4-cylinder, however (66K miles).

My Camry has developed the creak in the steering. It doesn't sound "mechanical" however, more like plastic rubbing against plastic. Annoying but apparently harmless.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I bought a replacement remote for my 98 Camry LE last week at Toyota Of Roswell in Atlanta and it cost me $40.00 and no charge to program.
  • Options
    herbiedogherbiedog Member Posts: 16
    See link to see a spy camera look at the 2002 Camry.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/carnews/carnews_spyshots.xml
  • Options
    no hub caps with the 2002? what gives?
  • Options
    Please tell me you're joking.
  • Options
    sorry-- a weak attempt at humor-- the pic, while nice to see the link, doesn't show much-- could very well be this year's dodge stratus underneath the black cover... kinda looks like one.
  • Options
    That's sweet. The Lexus SC430 has the world drooling, even at $59K a pop, over 7000 have already been taken by pre-ordereds (leaving only 5,000 up for sale).

IS300 convertable, at $35K a pop would really be nice if they make it into full production.

ral2167: Did you make a comparison of the spy picture and the concept pics posted a while back? The over all shapes seems to match along with the visible portion of the front. I think this is it. :)
  • Options
    elgritonelgriton Member Posts: 67
    Maybe cliffy can affirm this, but I think chrome hub caps will be part of an option package. =)
  • Options
    I have to apologize for my last post to you. When I first read your hub cap question, I thought "Oh gawd, you can't be serious." Then, I realized it was you and I know from your other posts that this had to be a stab at humor. Somehow, subtle humor never seems to come out right here does it?

Then, I realized that many participants may not catch the humor and prattle on for months about Toyota decontenting the 2002 Camry. AAAACCCCKKKK!!!!
  • Options
    Toyota decontenging the Camry? Well, I bet they will. All the automakers seems to do it. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, eerrrh.. Since the price increase each year is lower than the inflation, it's hard not to decontent to a degree.

But I don't fret over it as long as it doesn't impact reliability. So far, Toyota has succeeded in keeping the reliability high, so I won't go nuts if a few little straps or little hooks goes missing in the new model. :)

If it hints these major point that I expect, then I'm happy: (1) as reliable (2) roomier (3) peppier (4) as quiet and comfortable (5) doesn't totally screw up the styling inside or out.

Looking good so far. :)
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    For a real look at the 2002 Camry check out

http://mag-x.com/scoop/scoop_tm.html#camry
  • Options
    headlightheadlight Member Posts: 1
    How to aim 99'Camry headlights?
  • Options
    hb01hb01 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my XLE V6 in December and have had the following problems:

1. Little to no heat when you have the heat aimed to the floor. When you switch to chest level heat, the heat is very noticeable, almost overwhelming. Dealership said the floor vents were closed but I haven't noticed any difference and my feet are still freezing.
    2. Car windows continually fog up while driving and back seat side windows (especially passenger side) will not defrost no matter what I try. It makes it very difficult to see.
    3. Disappointed with gas mileage - 21-22 mpg all highway miles after 4K miles driven.

Had the dealership check into with no results. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I can't help on issues 1 and 3 but I can tell you how to prevent the windows from fogging. Don't use the recirculate switch on the HVAC panel. That is the button with the little circular arrow inside the outline of a car. Switch that off and I promise the windows will stay clear.
  • Options
    My V6's have usually averaged 25-26 with about a 80/20 mix highway/suburban. Three things for you:

1. Toyotas seem to have a longer period of "break-in" before the mpg jumps up. Usually around 10K-12K based on my past toyotas.

2. If you live in the north (cold) areas, you have reformulated gas for winter months, and that worsens the mileage to the tune of 1-2mpg. Mine is usually around 24 in the winter.

3. The V6 recommends premium fuel. It will get better mpg and have more power with premium. That being said, I've mostly run 87 octane in mine because the cost/savings doesn't add up between the octanes. The minimal performance difference doesn't bother me for the most part. My 92 V6 has 180K miles, and around 150K we switched to 89 octane because it seems to run better. Most vehicle lose power as they age, so I suppose that has something to do with it.

As far as problem #1, I dunno. I've had several Camrys (92-present)and never had a problem with heat. I totally agree with Cliffy on problem #2, most fogging problems are from "recirculate" mode being used. That mode is more for summer use. When you have the setting on defrost, the AC runs which should totally eliminate fogging unless it's recirculating. If you do not have the recirculate set, and the fogging continues then you have problems, possibly a faulty heat coil or something which might explain your floor heat problem.
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    does anyone know what the hp/torque for the new 6 cyc and 4 cyc Toyota is putting into the new camry?

Leo
  • Options
    heavenboundheavenbound Member Posts: 39
    Do most of you Camry owners change oil at 3,000 miles? or the book recommended 7,500 miles.

I got about 6 free oil changes with my Camry and they are at 7,500 mile intervals.

I plan on keeping the car for along time so I want to make sure it lasts.Thanks!
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd pay for my own oil changes at the midway point between your free ones.
  • Options
    Given the persistent reports of engine sludging, it seems to be a very good idea to change the oil and filter at 3750-mile intervals.
  • Options
    kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    Honda says the same thing about the oil changes - every 7500 miles. My parents have two Accords, one with 208,000 miles and another with 175,000 miles. No problems with the cars. They change the oil according to the book -every 7500 miles. Changing your oil every 3000 miles is unnecessary. It's propaganda put out by the oil industry and auto mechanics to get more money out of the consumer.

If you want to play it safe and change your oil every 3000 miles, that's fine. But, save yourself some cash by learning how to change your own oil and do it yourself.

A guy I used to work with used to have a Nissan Maxima and he'd change his oil every 15,000 miles. At each oil change, he'd add Slick 50. He got 225,000 miles out of the car.
  • Options
    Toyota, for one, calls for changing the oil and filter every 4 months or 5000 miles under severe service conditions, with the most common one being short-trip driving in freezing weather.

If you have the inclination to do the oil changes yourself, by all means do so.

But I wouldn't take chances with 15K oil changes; at the very least, any warranty claims related to engine damage will be denied.

And IHMO, Slick 50 is expensive snake oil.
  • Options
    rob8rob8 Member Posts: 16
    My sister is moving from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh this summer. She will be there for two years. When winter rolls around, should she purchase winter tires for her 95 Camry? I've read about very good winter tires from both Bridgestone and Michelin. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  • Options
    wassabiwassabi Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know if 15" wheels can be swapped for the 14" wheels on a CE. Are there modifications needed to make this work. Are there any structural differences between CE and LE? Is the difference only in standard equipment.Thanks,
    Wassabi
  • Options
    juliette94juliette94 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

My dear old Camry (170K miles) suffered an injury coming over a big steel plate in the road. A hole was punched in the transmission pan, and the pan needs replacement and of course new fluid.
    What actually happened is that after the bump, the car was running with odd sounds, like roaring and grinding in the engine. It managed to go 12 highway miles (at 60 mph) back to the airport, and restart after a one minute park. It sounded as though it was not finding the right gear as we accelerated awkwardly back onto the highway, and it was gunning and slowing down. We had to pull over and stop. After the engine was off for a few minutes, it started up fine, but wouldn't move out of park. That is, the gear shift would move but pressing the accelerator did nothing in any gear besides gun the motor. The garage has just called to tell me they will replace the pan and fluid for 200$, and then see what happens.

Here's my dilemma: with such an old but pretty reliable car (head gasket leak, kicky transmission, but never breakdowns), is it worth it to spend 200$ on a repair that may not be all that's needed? We were probably going to get rid of the car in the next 8 months anyway, but if anyone here thinks the pan and fluid are all that are needed, then we are willing to go ahead and repair. The garage did not hazard a guess as to odds that the transmission will not need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Thank you,
    Juliette94

p.s. I am posting also in other boards
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    I postyed this elsewhere too but it is worth...
    My friend wanted to perform 75K mile service on his 93 Taurus. There was an old couple doing first oil change on their Toyota Camry LE. I had a small talk with her, she said it was their second toyota first one being 82 Sxxxx(?) which they dumped after 238K miles ! She hoped this Toyota would also run forever !! She also mentioned how she liked the quite ride the toyota gives!! How many GM owners would drive their vehicles for 200K miles ? -:))
  • Options
    I can't imagine there isn't serious tranny damage if you drove 12 miles essentially without fluid. In relation to car value, yes $200 is alot especially if the tranny is shot. In reality though, $200 isn't much money, maybe the filing fees on a new car? Or half of a payment.

Two choices 1. obviously try the $200 fix and see what happens. 2. Try to find a cheap junk yard tranny and have them swap it out. Really shouldn't cost much, but you never know. I would try the $200 fix and see what happens.
  • Options
    juliette94juliette94 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the response. We have another Camry, a '94 LE, and have decided that we will be fine with only one car. Also, while 200$ isn't alot of money, everyone seems skeptical there wouldn't be more serious damage, then that would be money down the drain. Anyone have any idea if there is any value in the car for parts?
  • Options
    in2dadarkin2dadark Member Posts: 18
    What kind of deals I out there for a 2001? With the redesign around the corner I would think I could get a good one.. Looking 4 a Camry with a sunroof ( or is it moonroof..what is duh diff ne way?) 4cyl. , and maybe a few other odds and ends like a power *ignore* are some of the deals that have been gotten lately? I would even settle for a 2k. Did the warranty change recently? Looked at a Hyundai xg 300 for weeks and chickened out. Might as well give away ten grand as do that..very nice but definatly a large crap shoot..Can't believe I was even considering it...must have been sleeping wrong....WTF is with dis spell check..?
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    My 96 Camry has 70000 and is very noisy when cold. Last year after hitting a pile of snow the noise increased and an honest muffler shop told me to take my car back to Toyota as there is an 80000 mile warranty on certain air pollution parts. I did and Toyota replaced what they told me was a computer in the pipe connecting the catalytic converter and the muffler and it would have cost $800. Should I complain about the noise or grin and bear it? It disapears when the engine warms up.