Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• mackacmackac Posts: 3
    OK,guys, I know you all love your Bonnie's. My husband and I love the performance and handling of our 2000 SSEi, too. However, having been GM high-end owners for the last 30+ years (ouch! the ages !) we have repeatedly voiced our displeasure to GM about the road noise and air noise in the 2000 Bonnie and other GM unibody models.

Really, how can you totally enjoy driving along at 60+ mph when the air and road noise can't be drowned out by the radio? Before this we had a 1989 Delta Royale Broghum with 199,732 miles on it which gave us an absolute SILENT ride--no outside noise. THAT WAS LUXURY

For $34,000 + we should all expect the same. If enough of us tell GM about this, MAYBE they'll do something.

Oh, and I agree about the cupholders. Also, Pontiac stopped sending us the quarterly letter after I wrote them about the noise issue; thought maybe they took us off the mailing list, but no one else is getting the mag either????
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    I am in Destin (without the SSEl) for spring break. Internet access is real expensive from my condo so I have to hold off getting into the GM fray for now. I'll put my 2 cents in Saturday when I get home to St. Louis. ICEMAM: I did take a few moments to spank yodog on the other site... I feel sooooooo bad! Good to see the deer hunter post again! Why not drop that monster into an old 88 park ave. (electra) T-Type if you can find one... what a sleeper.
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Picking up my kids at daycare last night, one of their friends calls over to me as she's getting into her car - "my dad loves your car...he thinks it's really nice". I replied that I agreed with her dad and that he must be a very smart man with a keen eye for automobiles. "Oh yes", she says, "he's always pointing out cars and telling me what engine they have and things like that but he really likes your car." By this time, the old man is looking a little sheepish but I pursued and asked the little girl if she knew what engine was in the Bonnie. You know what? she got it right - she even knew that mine wasn't supercharged! 8 yrs. old! Their car is the last of the line rwd Olds Cutlas Supreme - I think with the 307 under the hood. Just the beginnings of rust in the traditional places. That car doesn't owe him a thing.

Anyway, it brought a smile to my day - hope it does something for you guys.

theiceman
  • scottnsc1scottnsc1 Posts: 16
    I picked up my new Bonnie on Wed. and then yesterday we received about 2 inches or rain. When I popped the trunk this morning about 2 cups of water came out from under the lining of the trunk lid. It poored down directly on a portable CD player I had back there. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I had seen a mention earlier of leaky trunks. Does anyone know if there is a repair that can be done or do I just need to keep a couple of towels in the trunk?

Other than that I love the car. I get lots of compliments, and it is a blast to drive.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Hi Karen - haven't heard from you since September when you responded to my request for info as I was evaluating Bonnevilles and others. Now that I'm firmly encamped here in Bonneville land I'm compiling a list of forum participants and the basic specs on their Bonnevilles. What color is your 2000 SSEi? What interior and equipment?

Your comment about noise is well taken - I do notice wind noise and the whooshing you refer to and at times wonder if it is the same as what the LeSabre people were referring to as a kazoo sound. Compared to my old flying brick Grand Marquis though - this is a vast improvement!

BTW - Karen - did you ever live in NH? If not I know your namesake.

Ken
  • snicklesnickle Posts: 147
    I don't find the road noise bad at all in my 2000 SSEi. A little drone from my exhaust mods, but not bad at all. The Car and Driver review of the car even commented on how quiet it was.
    Yes - I've changed my mind - this forum can continue to be the interesting central point but the owner's club is a good place to post threads of problems etc. I also like the idea of the chat time and would love to go live with you guys.

Ken
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Is a great idea. I don't see why the Bonneville guys reject it at first...
    I think we needed to see the advantages of the owner's club. I'm still not ENTIRELY convinced but it is a no lose from the perspective that this thread will remain where it is & will also be accessible through the club. Plus, that will allow us to put related links in one neat place. Oooh, how about the Return of GM's Might thread? Just kidding - don't worry, I haven't lost my mind (I mean, not just yet).

Saw a black SSEi with Chrome wheels - pulled into the parking garage in my building right in front of me this morning. We have a few investment firms and high-priced consultants in our building so there are some nice autos (new Volvo coupes, Boxsters, Z3's and the like). Not too many 2001's. I wonder why....

theiceman
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Posts: 42
    I have a 2001 and the wind noise is not noticeable until I am way over the speed limit. I opened my trunk in the morning after heavy rain and the accumulated beaded water on the trunk lid ran off into the trunk compartment as I lifted the lid. Other wise it has been dry. I have received no magazine or gifts from Pontiac, only a questionaire and a reminder two days later to fill it out.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Iceman, I know your numbers said there are about equal #s of SSEis and SLEs but it seems I rarely see a SSLE. Wouldn't you know, today in our small town of 13,000, I saw two of them inside of five minutes. The one was a dark bronzemist and I think I have color envy because it looked a lot sharper than my light bronzemist. On the other hand, I then saw a white one and if a color ever negated a car's good styling features, that was it. I hope I'm not offending any white Bonneville owners but I actually had to double check to be sure it was a Bonneville.
    Mark: I know what you're saying. The numbers I gave were actually applying Pontiac's projected Bonneville sales breakdown to the actual total sales figure. It is quite possible that they did made adjustments in the production schedule to shift assembly line time towards SE's or SSEi's and away from SLE's but they were initially projecting a 65% -17.5% -17.5% split in the sales. Based on the paucity of SLE's I have sighted to date (only one other versus dozens of SE's and SSEi's), I too wonder if the SLE sales numbers were lower. The SLE's got a kind of "odd duck" rep. - why look like an SSEi without the power, the HUD, the handling, stabilitrak, driver memory features, etc.? (don't flame me - I'm a proud SLE owner) I'm sure that the SSEi has been outselling the SLE.

wind noise: I have never been happy with noises intruding into the cockpit and I am happy to report that this is not a problem with mine. Apparently, one of the reasons why the Bonneville does not have collapsible mirrors is because they were concerned about the hinge seam creating too much wind noise. I have also read reviews which remarked on the quietness of the Bonneville's interior - against only one which observed the opposite. I'm suspecting loose or poorly mounted exterior trim.

theiceman.
  • Hello All!

I am not a Bonneville owner (as the name may tip you) but I was looking for info on the DIC
    personalization and saw that some yahoo is actually trying to sell GM Accessory Brochures on eBay! You
    can go to http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/dhtml/parts/parts_access.shtml or your Pontiac dealer to get
    these free of charge.

Enjoy your Bonnevilles
    ...for thinking of your fellow GM owners. Fancy that, huh? It's amazing what some people try to unload on ebay. What surprised me the most though, is the yahoo-ebay connection. Another dot.com merger in the offing? :)

theiceman
  • refinerrefiner Posts: 59
    Scott, I have the same problem with water in the trunk lid after it rains. It just pours out. I've had as much as a half a gallon come out. Just been to lazy to get it to the dealer. Other than that nothing else wrong after more than a year.
  • zzahhzzahh Posts: 47
    Boy, I must say, I have been so enomred with the Bonneville over these last 10 years, that I did not know if I liked the new styling. It certainly has been growing on me, and I have to say, the black SSEi's I have seen with the polished chrome wheels are a very attractive ride. Sighhhhhhhhh.......

Oh well, not having to live with her and still driving a very clean and quick '94 is still a far, far better thing that a new SSEi. As you can see, she was such a sweetheart...........
    We gotta set you up with a new one man.

Still, I have to confess that, as my search for a 2nd car continues, I was intrigued by a low mileage '97 SSEi I saw advertised for $CDN18,000 (or approx. $US12,000) which I might be able to get for less. We shall see...

theiceman
  • zzahhzzahh Posts: 47
    although, I am not sure I can afford a new one............... I once heard something about busts, wheels or "O" rings. Eventually they will all give you trouble and cost you money.

Anyway, 12k US for a '97 SSEi with low miles sounds like a sweet deal, I believe that is the next generation 3800 also, and although I am not sure of the milage on the new Bonn's, I do know that on straight highway driving, cruise set at 80ish, and not having to dodge traffic, or major elevation changes, I get 30 mpg almost religiously. Good luck on the '97, it sounds sweet.

Now if you know of any young, filthy rich, passion starved, beautiful.........
    When in PA 2 weeks ago, I stopped at the Chevy dealer where I got our Suburban. There was a very nice 98 SSEi there in silver with the 12 way power leather buckets and sunroof. IT was a beauty and if I did not already own my 2000 SE I bet I would have driven it home. Not sure about the price on that one - my sales buddy was busy. Wish I'd had time to drive it

Great car

Ken
    Consumer Reports recommends the '97 and earlier but not the '98 or '99. The latter two apparently have "hardware integrity" problems and seem inextricably drawn towards deer at night. But I don't see anything major. Does anybody have a clue that would justify the CR rating for these 2 years? Besides, they all have the series II. Any ideas?

Ken: BTW, the '97 I saw was green check it out: Eastern Ontario Autotrader. This one's got 71k kms. (or about 42k miles) and the asking price is $CDN16,900 (or about $US11,200 - sorry, my earlier memory was obviously flawed). The same rag (our autotrader) has a green '98 with 90k kms. (about 55k miles) for the same price. Problem? sunroof.

theiceman