Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    the jetta would be my first car but i have had my license for 1 year thereofore i do have some experience people, and to let everyone know, I do have a job tutoring kids, and I am using that money to pay for my insurance so I dont want you people thinking I am a completely spoiled idiot. I am a responsible and good driver, I never speed, I don't try to impress my friends by burning rubber, so don't think I am a stereotypical teen. I appreciate everyones opinions, but wonderwall, I wouldn't mind if you keep your opinions about me to yourself. As far as saving money for college, I'll be getting loans which I will be paying off in the future, and my parents do not have more money than brains, I live in an apartment with my mom, and the car lease is being paid for by my father, but again to recap, I do work, I will be paying for gas and insurance, and College! So do not judge me.
  • Options
    bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Ahhh! I didn't see that he was asking about the Monsoon. Oh well, I guess he knows all about the Monsoon and adding a changer now. ;-)
  • Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Sure. People do assume but that's the nature of the internet. You said you're sixteen. People assumed you had no experience. That's understandable. You have to agree not many sixteen-year-olds would be thinking of buying, as his first car, a loaded Jetta 1.8T unless his parents are loaded. BTW, what's "having 3 teens back there for at most a few hours" mean? Isn't that a long time?
  • Options
    whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    I care about you too. Happy Holidays...
  • Options
    silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    I really understand what you are thinking and saying because I was like you 20 years ago, but believe me and other guys who posted opinions to you, and listen to us. Loaded Jetta 1.8T is something you should dream of, but not to buy if you are a teenager. It is a wonderful thing to have a dream car and wait until you become a person who deserves it. High performance VWs had been my dream cars and I could finally get a GLS VR6 at the age of 38. Even though I have a pretty good job as a university faculty, this car can be still a little bit of a stretch, but you know, it has been my dream car! I believe everybody in this website congratuates me, but many people express concerns to you. We are not saying you are an idiot. We CONCERN you. I hope you think what it means and make an 'appropriate' decision. I really think the coolest thing that a teenager can do is to buy a beaten up GEO or something, take it somewhere nobody is around, and develop a real driving skill. I did it and now I know how dengerous a high power car can be and know my driving ability and its limitations. Driving a nice looking, high performance car which you do not really know how to deal with at the age of 18 is something people laugh at. Think about it.
  • Options
    BTW, last winter, I scratched the right lower corner of the bumper of my Jetta VR6. In the summer, I noticed that my AC does not work and brought my car to a dealer. Then I was said it costed $600 and it's not under warranty because I broke it! I said how it is possible that I broke something inside without leaving any mark outside. Then a mechanic went, 'Well, look at this scratch'. I said 'So?'. He said, 'This car has a condencer inside the bumper'. Yes, look at your Jetta's bumper. It is completely stuffed! YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BUMP YOUR BUMPER! I wonder this is only the case for VR6 or not.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    You said you never speed? Yea sure!!!!
  • Options
    amymonteiamymontei Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I are seriously considering a jetty GLX with sport suspension and 17" tires. We own a blazer which we are keeping and are selling our 84 porsche. I have my doubts about there being sufficient room for our son and was wondering if you "gottagetajetta" folks could share some insight. While this is replacing the porsche which my husband has driven for years, my son and I will most likely be the primary driver/passenger in the jetty. (mom and child always get the new ride). Also, I was advised against the tan leather which I like. A family member said we would forever be cleaning it.
    Also, I agree with the good college professor about this car NOT being a first for a teenager. My husband is an army Major and we have had to step down from the pas sat to the jetty just to get our payments in the 400.00 range..... Many thanks!
  • Options
    amymonteiamymontei Member Posts: 2
    I am not sure how "jetta"turned to "jetty"! All I did was check my spelling!! Sorry for the typo!
  • Options
    We just thought you already had a cutesy name for the new Jetta you will be getting. ;-)

The Jetta does have a tight back seat. I personally have never sat back there, so I can't testify as to how tight that is. What I would suggest is a real-time test drive. All three of you pack up in the Blazer and head down the local VW dealer, grab a Jetta and have a go at it to see for real. Make the salesperson sit in the back, if they insist on going. My salesguy just gave us the keys and said, "Have fun," and we were outta there.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Our Jetta turns 4 months today. As cute as the day she was born! ;-)) Anyway, it's available at: http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • Options
    michigan_jettamichigan_jetta Member Posts: 3
    Hey,
    Ya'll should stop making fun of the 16 year old. I'm a 19 year old sophmore at University of Michigan. It just so happens that my parents are poor, so I have to pay for crap myself. It just so happens that I make more money than most people my age, because I have a part time programming job while in college. So what I had to pay for my own car. I would much rather have my parents pay for that car if they could. That way I wouldn't have to get a demo, and instead would have money to chip it, and put some better rubber on it (195/65 R15 = CRAP). Another thing, sure Jetta 1.8t is a great car, for the money that is. However, I would not go as far as calling it a dream car or anything of that sort. This is because of the simple reason that if I made more money I would have surely gotten a Passat or a Maxima. When you say "dream car" you must mean along the lines a Bimmer, a Jag or a Vette'. Most 16 year olds I know make $6 an hour doing the work that adults get $12 an hour for. They can not afford any type of car as far as I'm concerned. So if your parents are buying you a car it might as well be something safe and reliable. As far as used cars go, no used car is reliable.
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    thanks alot man, and I totally agree with you, I love the jetta but I don't consider it a car to dream of, I'd much rather wish to have like an M5 or Clk430 as a a dream car, and I know how it is as far as not having alot of money but luckily I'll be able to get this car but for those people who think I'm spoiled, I really am not, I'm an A student who tutors kids, and I alone will be paying for insurance and gas, and for those of you who don't know, NJ has the highest insurance, therefore I'm not a little spoiled brat. And the reason my mom is getting me this is because she has seen I have worked hard and wants me to have a safe and reliable car, so again, appreciate your opinion Michigan
  • Options
    jericho1jericho1 Member Posts: 8
    i've had the same 1990 olds cutlass since 1996. i didn't even have a car til then, my junior year in college. i'm saving evey last bit of change i have for a downpayment on a jetta. and i'll have to pay for insurance and gas. plus everything else a single person on his own pays for. you highschool/college kids have no idea what its like to be on your own, trust me. on paper it looks like i make a decent living, but reality is much different.

okay, i'll get off my soapbox and admit to myself that my post has no point.

oh, and dream cars are just that when you're actually paying for your ride.
  • Options
    rdsamsrdsams Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering buying a 1997 Jetta Trek for my new (used) car. From everything I've heard about them, they seem pretty reliable in general. The Jetta in question, though, has about 60K miles on it and some people have warned me that that's too much for a '97 while others have said it's fine. I will definitely get it checked by an independent mechanic before purchasing, but I was wondering what kind of reliability I should expect after 60K miles. If anyone could give me some reassuring or discouraging advice, I'd appreciate it.
  • Options
    k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    Get a job that makes a decent living then jericho1, I'm 19 and I have no problem putting buying a brand new jetta, in fact i'm ordering my wolfsburg edition jetta tomorrow. I live on my own and pay my own bills, and if you really make a decent wage, 700 a month for total car expenses isnt all that much.
  • Options
    areakareak Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jetta GLX (with automatic), that I have owned for about 8 months now. It has been a great car except for the fact that it has been in the shop for about 2 or the 8 months I have had it. I am already on my second transmission, and their is a loud howling noise coming from the rear gearbox again. I am getting really sick of taking it in to get looked at and serviced. I am taking it in again because it is shifting terribly, and sometimes won't shift between 1st and 2nd without a load pop. Has anyone else had these problems??? I like the look and feel of the car (when it works), but I am already looking at other cars, since the reliability has been horrid! Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    you need a downpayment, son. i'm an architect and 700 bones a month isn't chump change. i'm saving up 25% so my payments are under $400. and getting a tdi will cut fuel expenses by 60%. i don't know what you do for a living, khb, but when you have student loans knocking on your door, even the most well-to-do professionals have to budget themselves.
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Fear not, Mommy, I put my three y/o son in the back of mine all the time. He loves watching the sun roof operate and reaching the grab handle. The Jetta has tethers for car seats, but the best position is not in the middle because of the narrow position there. At any rate, it's rated the safest car in its class (at least got the 5-star rating), and while room is tight back there, the kids will be fine until they're 15 or so.

I do push the front passenger seat forward and install his car seat behind it so his shoes don't get on the black leather. Oh yeah, black leather doesn't seem to age like the tan leather does on my friend's Passat.
  • Options
    Settle down guys! We're not saying you're irresponsible, dumb kids. I applaud you for paying for college and your driving expenses. I did the same, bought my own cars, and you know what... I wouldn't change a thing. I never wish my parents would have bought me a car. Hey, even though I drove some real crapsters, I was still proud of doing it on my own and not burdening my parents' finances. They did their jobs getting my through my youth alive and with decent values and morals.

Michigan, I make good money, and buy the cars I want/need. If I could afford a Merc or BMW, sure, but I can't. The Jetta happens to be a darn good substitute, and I'd buy it over the BMW 3-series any day. You convey frustration because you can't afford chips and aftermarket perfromance parts. Save your money pal. Do you have any investments? My 1.8T has plenty of oomph and handles well enough to throw it around. You may think $700 isn't a big deal? Let's say you continue programming - that's a lucrative field. Get out of school and make 70 to 80 large, great. But from there your responsibilities will grow faster than your salary when you acquire a mortgage, wife, kids, a second car, etc. So unless you plan to remain single forever, $700 for one car is pretty crazy for most of us hard-working Americans.

Blackjetta, I'm glad you've worked hard, but I still say the Jetta's not right for you...yet. If insurance is so steep in NJ, then start with somthing easier to insure, a Mazda, Toyota or something (Honda Accords are expensive because they're the most stolen cars). Also the 1.8T takes only premium gas, so that's another cost factor. If you're going to drive friends around in the backseat, they won't likely be too comfortable for more than a few hours.
  • Options
    CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    Remember the ad from a few years ago for one of the investment houses? You first thought that is was a car advertisement. It showed a sports car and discussed performance statistics. The ad then ended with, "this $65,000 car cost you $300,000 at retirement."

With my long commute to work, depreciation due to my annual mileage contributes to my car purchase decision.

We had to buy two cars a couple of years ago ... when VW had 0% financing. We fully financed two Passats. The first time I ever purchased (except my house) on credit. Sure, we were sending VW Credit nearly $2,000 a month. But, it made economic sense to do it. It was a two-year loan at 0%.

That's all we're talking about. Even if an individual is of the means to spend $700 a month on a car, there are other things I'd rather do with the money.

But, like everything, it's a matter of personal preference.
  • Options
    k_h_bk_h_b Member Posts: 54
    I'm talking insurance gas etc, things everyone has to pay, if you're responsible with a budget and can manage money affording a nice car is not difficult.
  • Options
    Does it sound strange if a VW is a dream car? Well, I have to admit that I was poor and am still no rich. Now that I got it, my dream car is BMW 3 series and that's all I want in my whole life. I hope I can get it before I hit age 50. Even if I get a jackpot, I still buy a BMW-3. I hate to drive a big car. I also do not like to drive a car with too much power, because I really enjoy controling cars and I can not stand driving a car that is beyond my driving ability. I can not do anything with it and it's too boring.

Because I think blackjetta will buy a Jetta anyway, let me answer your question about ASR. It works very well. It essentially supresses understair. You must understand there are two circumstances where the understair occurs. One is caused by too much power input DURING a corner. This is actualy not a bad thing because, if it is not excessive, your car is still under control and you can control the turning radius using both the stairing wheel and gus peddle. However, ASR suppress this understair as soon as it detects it. It works so effectively that I almost hate it and I usually turn it off. On the other hand, it is a very good item to educate yourself. As soon as the indicator lump of ASR lights, you should realize that you pushed your car too much and you would have slipped out of the road if it were not for the ASR. You will also realize how easy to light up the indicater for a high-power FWD car like Jetta 1.8T. The second situation where you would have the understair is too much speed at the ENTRY of a curve. In this case, ASR can not do anything. At the point you have understair at the entry of a curve, your cornering is a total failure and you can not do anything but pray. Be careful and be a good driver!
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Honda Accords are not expensive to insure and have an average insurance rating. Even though many Accords are stolen for their parts, that's still a very small percentage compared to the number involved in accidents. The car's safety record and the costs for new parts are much more significant. That's my speculation. What ever the reason, my insurance rates were very reasonable when I had Accords. To my pleasant surprise, my rates didn't go up too much when I went from a V6 Accord Coupe to a VR6 Jetta.

One more thought,
    one of the reasons there are a lot of stolen Accords is because there are a lot of them on the road. A lot of Camry's are stolen too. Again, there are a lot of Camry's on the road. A more telling statistic would be: what PERCENTAGE of a particular car make is stolen. I would think an Accord would be no higher than a Jetta or many other cars.
  • Options
    My insurance company told me the Accord was #1 target of car thieves. Of course, theft rates vary from one state to another so premiums will also vary. Therefore, I can't say that an Accord will ALWAYS be more expensive to insure than most competitors.

I would guess that the reason your VR6 and V6 Accord rates came out similar is that while the Accord carries a higher risk of theft, the Jetta has more expensive replacement parts - they came out about the same. When our first 2000 Jetta was in an accident, I thought it would be repaired. The adjuster said, "watch this," as he crunched the numbers. It quickly became a total. He told me VW has some of the most expensive sheet metal. Personally, I like that...
  • Options
    jeanne11jeanne11 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on purchasing a new car and am leaning towards either a VW Jetta or Beetle. I have heard that there is little room for bargaining with VW dealers because they are in such high demand. Can anyone confirm or deny this or tell me your experiences? Thanks!
  • Options
    It really depends on where you live and the demand in that area. The odds are in your favor. Most people around here are buying their new Jettas for $400-800 above invoice - not too shabby. If you care to tell us where you're looking, people may offer suggestions on good dealerships, or tell you what deals they made.
  • Options
    jeanne11jeanne11 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0(unsure of color) or a green 2001 Beetle GLS 2.0. I would love a sunroof, but don't have to have one. I haven't done too much shopping at the dealerships, but from the little I've done, it seems that the cars are listed above the prices I've seen on the internet b/c the dealerships have added on. Was this my imagination? This will be my first new car!!! I am extremely nervous and concerned about getting a good deal. I know NOTHING about cars or buying them. Thank you for any suggestions you can give me. I live in Boston, MA, but don't mind driving within an hour to check out good dealerships.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It only costs a little bit more than most cars inits class, but it's worth the extra money in the long run.
  • Options
    lbihnlbihn Member Posts: 13
    Jeanne11
    You get more space for the dollar. Probably the insurance is cheaper on the Jetta also. This may be your biggest factor in deciding between the two. I would find the invoice price of a car on the dealer's lot that you want(go on a Sunday), add destination cost, then $500 for profit. If you leave your phone number and stick to this price, odds are the dealer will take your offer, although he may wait a couple of days to call you back. be patient, and this will likely happen. (Except in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area where they think MSRP is the only price allowable.)
  • Options
    Are you a young buyer nervous about unscrupulous car salesmen taking advantage of your naivitee? Leaving a note on a Sunday sounds interesting, and $500 over invoice price is in the ballpark.

You may also want to get a few online quotes from www.carsdirect.com or www.stoneage.com then talk to the internet sales managers at the dealer. Ask how much ALL dealer and processing fees cost up front, and know what you can bargain away. Go through the car buying tips on this site and get your invoice prices here. Chances are, you'll get a better price than Edmunds TVM - most of us have.

And keep posting - we love to hear new buyers' experiences and it helps others considering Jettas. Oh yeah, I'd choose the Jetta too. The Beetle is cute as heck, but it's lack of usable space will wear on you. Also, get the sunroof!!
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "my insurance company told me the Accord was #1 target of car thieves"

This is not in dispute. The point I was making is that this does not translate into higher than average insurance costs. A Porsche is much more likely to be stolen than an Accord. But since Porches sell in much less quantities, it will never make a top ten list in stolen cars. The percentage of its cars that are stolen is very high though. 2nd point: 99% plus claims that an insurance company pays out is the result of accidents.
  • Options
    junior75junior75 Member Posts: 22
    I run the internet sales at a VW dealership 40 mins. outside of Boston. We have a huge inventory of Jetta's to choose from. (right now we have the best selection we have had all year)& a pretty good inventory of Beetles. I would be able give you a price range of $99 to $450(silver arrow) over invoice on any Jetta or Beetle in stock (or incoming).
    The only "add-on's" we usually have is CD player or changer, but that is on probably only 25% of our inventory.
    The only fees we charge are $99 Doc fee, registration and 5% sales tax (Mass.)
    If you need any more info let me know.
  • Options
    668668 Member Posts: 13
    What TDIs do you have in inventory (stock)? Thanks.
  • Options
    mattjettavr6mattjettavr6 Member Posts: 7
    Not to cast a gloom on this discussion but if I were you I would wait about 3 or 4 months to buy that new Jetta. If we go into a serious recession then you will problably get a great deal on it
    if you MUST by one at that time. I just bought a new one fully loaded and paid a nice penny for it because I ordered it. You aren't going to get a killer deal on one of these because these cars are HOT. It's still a VW sellers market today....we'll all see how it's going a few months from now.
  • Options
    mtbiker66mtbiker66 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    mtbiker66mtbiker66 Member Posts: 2
    i just happened to come across this vw community and i must say i'm not suprised to find so many pleased jetta owners! i don't have an 01 jetta yet i'm driving my old 97 gl with a supercharger and many other modifications. but anyway just wanted say hi and when you see the tv commercial with the guy and his jetta at the grocery store when he tackles a roving cart, well that is me all the way!
  • Options
    junior75junior75 Member Posts: 22
    I believe we have 2 Jetta GLS's in stock.
    1. 2001 Jetta GLS TDI Black on black cloth w/ Luxury, cold weather& monsoon. Manual trans.
    2. 2001 Jetta GLS TDI Galactic Blue. Auto trans.

3 more on the way!
  • Options
    slickrick1slickrick1 Member Posts: 12
    I too live in the Boston area (western suburbs).

What 1.8T's (auto.) do you have or will you be expecting?

Also, where abouts is your dealer located in the Boston area?

Thanks!
  • Options
    slickrick1slickrick1 Member Posts: 12
    I think I know how you feel, I also was where you are right now. Just don't make the same mistake I did. I purchased a Subaru Legacy new and got a pretty good deal on it. I like the car, but wish it had a little more power. I used almost every penny I had to buy this car. However, I made the mistake of underestimating my other expenses, for the car and for school. I ended up having to work 2 jobs in the summer, and 30 hrs. a week during the school year which combined with school full time, left me absolutely no time to be a collegiate youth. This year I got a well-paying internship and have finally caught-up financially, but I feel that I have thrown away three of the best years of my life, for a car.

The moral of the story, the Jetta is a great car, but please don't make the same mistake I did. Weigh ALL the sacrifices you'll have to make before you take the plunge.
  • Options
    bljettabljetta Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a GLS 1.8T, and would like to get the cd changer. My dealer has quoted me a price of $450 installed. But looking at the postings here, I see that the Panasonic cx-dp610 along with the vw/pc-pan6 adapter will do just as well. Will all functions work with this configuration? How about the steering wheel controls? I am certainly no electronics/stereo wiz, and wonder if a true neophyte will be able to do the installation without any problems. Audio-warehouse has the player and adapter for $275. Thanks.
  • Options
    tom4beckytom4becky Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

It is new years day. We just bought a 98 Jetta GT. We did not receive any manuals or codes.
    "safe" mode.

We would like to use the radio today.

Is there anyway to make my radio work today? Is it necessary to wait and go to a VW Dealer?

Thanks

Tom
  • Options
    Oh boy! You probably have to take a trip to the dealer. Unless you have the code for that radio, there is no way you can get the radio to work other than taking it to the dealer. This is the anti-theft feature that has kicked in for whatever reason -- probably disconnection of battery.
  • Options
    I am offering limited webspace and a private, invitation-only mailing list to all Edmunds members / Jetta owners. Please contact me at nwvw@bluelagoonjetta.com for more information, or visit the website at: http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com, enter your email address and click on the join button.

Please, Jetta owners only. This is a private, moderated list and is totally a for-fun, not-for-profit venture.

-Jim
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Oh come on, let me play!!! :)

The new '01 Protege just came out, and I like them alot. Probably going to be in the market either this summer or next summer. But I still have this craving for a Golf 1.8T. I just need to bite the damn bullet! :)
  • Options
    96jettatrek96jettatrek Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Jetta Trek. I had a 6 disc CD player installed in the trunk. I think it was made by Clarion (it was a gift, and its been a long time since I noticed the model). Does anyone know if this CD player would fit in a 2001 Jetta? I hate to leave it in my Trek if it would be compatible in a newer Jetta. I realize I haven't provided many technical details, but I am hopeful that there has been a standard for these CD players that hasn't changed over the past 5 years. Any information would be appreciated!
  • Options
    i haven't seen any of these in the dealerships. are they out? feel free to wax poetic about one if you have it...
  • Options
    shoptbshoptb Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my 2000 Jetta GLX VR6 for about 6 months now, and I have noticed that whenever
    I cold-start the car in the morning, the engine idles so rough for about 5 minutes that one would think that the engine was going to explode. And then, after warmed up, it idles smoothly again.

Is this normal for the VR6 engine? If so, why?
  • Options
    I don't have a VR6, but I have read many complaints about this problem at VWVortex. I don't remember if there ever was an answer as to what this problem is. Try reading the TSB's at: http://tech.vw.com/ for more information.

Other than the starts though, it doesn't seem to cause any other problems and the engine runs fine, but I'd definitely inform my dealer of it.
  • Options
    petethepilotpetethepilot Member Posts: 11
    On a trip from British Columbia to Northern Ontario my 2000 Jetta TDi quit on the side of the trans-Canada in 40 below temperatures. The car had to be towed from the Alberta/Saskatchewan border all the way to Regina or roughly 240 miles! The fuel even with VW's cold weather additive causes an O ring in the fuel line check valve to pull out and block the fuel line. Even after repairs and more fuel additive was added the car broke down again after 5 hours, still 5 hour from home! I managed to keep the car running and at speeds no more than 50 mph/80 kph. limp home with the check engine light on! I am now looking at installing a fuel line heater just before the fuel filter and offending check valve. I hope this cures the problem. VW can only make repairs to the check valve !
    While I was waiting for my car to be repaired in Regina 4 more TDi's came in on flat beds all with the same problem. The temperature that day was -37 degrees C. That's just about the same in degrees F.
    I have owned the car since April 2000 and have had no problems or complaints until this episode. The odometer reads 38,000 kilometers. or 22,000 miles
    I have installed a Hermann tuning box, K&N air filter and a Neuspeed short shift kit. The torque went from 155 ft/pds to 197 ft/pds with the tuning box. That's more torque than either the VR6 or the 1.8T ! Horse power sells but it's the torque that gives the thrill. I still average 56/57 mpg imperial and have had as high as 64 mpg. after the modifications. I have bought 17X8 in mags with fat Goodyear Eagles that I plan to install in the spring. I run with my stock 15 in. rims in the winter with winter tires. I plan to install vented disk brakes when the ones on it wear out and a VR6 clutch to handle the higher torque.