Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    It sounds like I would HATE to ever deal with you in a business transaction or any transaction for that matter. I guess the word quilt or RESPECT is not in your vobabulary. I sure hope your right about the "cursory" look over by VW.

Fish, buyer beware. Guilt has nothing to do with selling someone a used car...they buy it knowing they haven't a clue as to how the car was treated.

As for respect, I implement CRM (Customer Relationship Management) suites for a living. I know all the tricks for retention and/or ending unprofitable relationships. If you're looking to build customer loyalty obviously you don't play your consumers. If it's a one time deal though, you might as well screw the consumer and get as much profit as possible.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I see your point..... Why such a negative attitude though?
  • Options
    One mor thing.......will you buy or lease another VW? just curious!!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay, well this is not a place to debate ethics, so let's end that subject now.

Blueguydotcom, why don't you just keep those kind of comments out of your messages, and we'll all get along better.
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    JUST THAT has been going on for 25,000 posts in "I don't like SUV's, why do you" topic.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Then go there to debate ethics. ;->

We talk about Jettas here. Heh.
  • Options
    I can't see leasing another VW. Actually leasing another car, period. Beyond a few niggling issues my 1.8T hasn't been that bad thus far, it's more related to the rattles and horrible customer service.

BTW, I checked my 20k service list and it shows that Drew VW supposedly changed my pollen filter. Did it go bad that fast? Doubtful. Guess it's a trip back there...argh.
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    Why do you need to go back there? The filter is listed as a change item for the 20k service, so they didn't screw up or anything.
  • Options
    Why do you need to go back there? The filter is listed as a change item for the 20k service, so they didn't screw up or anything.

Well my guess is they didn't do it. Or they screwed something else up. Gee, there's a thought, a VW stealership lying about service? Nah, Vocus doesn't know anything about that kinda experience.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Don't EVEN get me started! :)
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    The positive side of Vocus's posts, it would sound like VW's dealerships have incredible service...conversely...well, I'm sure we all know the details.
  • Options
    The service at dealership A kinda sucked in the beginning (where I got the car). I went to dealership B, and everything was perfect except for one person (who is no longer there). When the car was in the shop for 5 weeks, they gave me a free loaner, didn't complain at the fact that I put 4000 miles on it in that time, took the car out of state (which I did tell them before I did it, BTW), and then paid one of my car notes.

VW is trying, I will give them that. They just need to tone down some of their dealers. But show me one establishment where the workers don't talk about the customers behind their backs. The one guy just got caught with his pants down, that's all.
  • Options
    Just like the lemon thing. I'm sure all Auto manufacturers have a bad dealership or two. People are people...some aren't capable of treating people kindly and some of those people are bound to end up as dealership salespeople/employees.
  • Options
    Exactly!

I was just at a VWVortex regional meeting last night with about a dozen other people. 5 of them had brand new 2000+ VW Jettas or Golfs. NONE of them have had their cars in the shop. All their jaws dropped when I told them I had mine in the shop about 12 times for rattles and such. I know I got a cloppily built car. There would be no way that every Jetta would go through the crap mine has gone through and still be one of the best selling cars out there, and have the highest (or close to it) resale value in its class.

And like everyone else says, most people are going to come and complain on a site like this than praise.
  • Options
    I don't know about that last statement. You know what the board for your previous car was like. Can't say I see a lot of people complaining over there.
  • Options
    I changed my previous statement from "more" to "most". That is more fitting, I think.

But check alot of the other boards here on Edmunds, there are always more complaints than praise, it seems.
  • Options
    Heh...I'm gonna leave why that is up to you.

Oh...to keep this on topic, my GF's '91 Jetta bites. I wish they'd (her and her sister) sell the thing for scrap already. Passenger door won't open from the outside and the fan inside sounds like a wailing banshee.

Oh...and there's a belt that squeals at times...which is great because you know that it's their Jetta coming around the corner from a block away.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    the smells that blueguy has in his car (which if they are not gone already, will be gone by the weekend, willing to bet a large sum of $$$, like 5 whole dollars! ;)), those smells have NOTHING to do with the pollen filter. i know those smells. trust me on this one.
  • Options
    I had no idea your GF was having so much trouble with her car. You haven't said anything about it in awhile, and now it's got all this trouble. How many miles does it have on it anyway?

And it is over 10 years old, things break...
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Most cars are in the junkyard by then!

Meade
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    My Dad's 11 year old Camry isn't anywhere near the junkyard. In 11 years, there has been ONE unscheduled service for a faulty fuel injector that was covered under warranty. Other than that, it's been regular maintenance, and a timing belt replacement. He can only hope that the Mazda6 he will be getting will be as trouble free. I doubt it, but then again the Mazda6 will be much more fun.
  • Options
    The 91 Jetta only needs the 2 small repairs. Probably a door pin or something to fix the mechanism and a new belt. I don't think there's anything you can do about the heater fan though. Of course, I don't know the history of the car and what has been fixed before.

Depending on how this car holds up within the next year, I might invest in an extended warranty for it. Labor and parts are so expensive nowadays (esp. for a Euro car) that it would be dumb not to have one.
  • Options
    I said "most" cars.

Obviously everything about you falls into the "exceptional" category.

Meade
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    "Oh...to keep this on topic, my GF's '91 Jetta bites. I wish they'd (her and her sister) sell the thing for scrap already. Passenger door won't open from the outside and the fan inside sounds like a wailing banshee."

Sounds like you need a either a new exterior latch or interior locking mechanism. $15-50.

The fan sound may be because it is about to go. I cannot remember the replacement cost, but it is easy to replace yourself.

"Oh...and there's a belt that squeals at times...which is great because you know that it's their Jetta coming around the corner from a block away."

There is this revolutionary new product called belt dressing - try it! :)
  • Options
    "Obviously everything about you falls into the "exceptional" category."

Huh? It isn't about me, it's about my Dad's car. To be honest, I don't see how that is "exceptional". A car should last at least 11 years if you take care of it and put on a regular amount of miles.
  • Options
    About five years ago, a local VW dealer had a Golf painted in just about every color of the rainbow -- blue, green, red, yellow, etc. -- one color on each body panel. The hood was one color, each quarter panel was another color, each door another color, etc. It actually looked quite cool -- you'd have to have seen it.

Anyway, the car was eventually sold and I still see it running around Richmond from time to time. Your recent comment in response to mine about using a loofah made me think of that car for some reason, and I thought this would be a better place to post my story about it than the other discussion.

If I ever find a pic of that Golf, I'll e-mail it to you.

Meade
  • Options
    Do you happen to live in the Atlanta area. During the '96 Olympics a VW dealer had several of those for sale. I know it took a good while to seel all of them because they had them on their lot for quit a while after the Olympics.
  • Options
    He lives in Richmond.

I have never seen any Golfs painted that way. I bet it would look cool though.
  • Options
    How many miles are on the Camry? Just wondering.

I don't ever expect a car to last me 11 years, simply because I put 25-30K miles a year on it. They are all highway miles though, so that's a good thing. But still. I also get tired of driving the same car all the time as well. Not tired of my Jetta yet though...
  • Options
    You asked for it. They got this car about 3 or 4 years ago. Since then it's had some fairly major work. It's still under 190 000 km.

Most recently, it's had the clutch replaced (they wanted to replace the whole tranny), muffler replaced for a 3rd time, rattling from some heat shield (rocks we're told), doors that won't open, squealing belts (that's been happening for years even though we've replaced all the belts), and the heater fan that wails like a banshee.

It really is time to get rid of it. My parent's '90 ('91?)MPV had over 300 000 km on it and it was much better. Sure it was starting to go, but it was in much better shape than the Jetta and I can say for certain that my dad didn't baby that thing.

Oh well...at least the crank windows and crank sunroof still open ok....for now.
  • Options
    How was the car treated before you bought it used?
  • Options
    drmillhousdrmillhous Member Posts: 16
    Ok, this may seem strange.... I'm driving last night and this weird symbol appears on the digital clock. The digits of the clock disappear and it their place is what looks to be a vertical wand with radio waves coming out the top, a big letter L and other weird dashes. Any ideas?
  • Options
    that sounds really odd.....I have no ideas sorry
  • Options
    ... and all VWs must now make their way toward Atlantis for instructions.
  • Options
    ok then
  • Options
    No idea how it was treated. They bought it from a used car dept of some dealership. That car is actually one of the reasons I wouldn't buy used...no idea what's happened to the car before.
  • Options
    It has almost 70,000 miles on it. I know, I know, that's not a lot of miles but still. 11 years and one problem is great. If anyone is interested in the car, my Dad will be selling it soon. It has never missed an oil change, radiator fluid change or tranny fluid change because I did all of the maintenance on it. It is a V6 LE model and it's in the Twin Cities if anyone is interested. I am sure my Dad would accept any reasonable offer. Morries Mazda just got 6 Mazda6s in on a transport, so it won't be long before the Camry is gone.
  • Options
    drmillhous: It seems that your car has now opened communications with the mother ship. If you have a sunroof, keep your eye to the sky. If you see lights, get out and run.

protegefan: I hope it wasn't a tradein from blueguydotcom!

multi colored cars: I usually think of junkyard repair parts bin queens waiting for a paint job!
  • Options
    That was a harlequin Golf, apparently only 246 were made in this country. I think more Harlequin Polo's exist in Europe however, I would love one myself!

http://www.rossvw.com/harlequin/

• Options
    Thanks Patrick!

Meade
  • Options
    That multicolored rabbit was worse looking than expected.

It really does look like a "junkyard special".
  • Options
    Isn't that cool! It seems they are the colors of the German flag, no?
  • Options
    Sometimes my clock goes crazy, but no symbols or anything ever appear.

Do you have a GLX?
  • Options
    "Aliens from the planet Lemon"? That wasn't funny.
  • Options
    I thought it was pretty funny...
  • Options
    The unfunny part is that it looks like they've already invaded.
  • Options
    We agreed on something?

Where's the champagne?

Meade

P.S. Paul, lemme have at least as much fun as you have telling all of us on the Protege topic what you use to clean your leather. Yeah, we notice those little brags you sneak in now and then!
  • Options
    I don't know if you read how they were made, its rather amusing. They made 4 cars, one of each color, and then swapped the panels.
  • Options
    I can't help but laugh. Even if I had a VW, I would have thought it was funny.

"Aliens from the planet Lemon...Communications with the mothership....run if you see lights"

Lol!
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    meade -

that Golf is indeed still around these parts. see it in Richmond and NoVa at least twice a year. god awful ugly in my opinion.

drmilhous -

rest easy. that is your clock just being flirtatious. mine does it too. for EXACTLY one minute at a time. that symbol is fun looking, but their is nothing mentioned in the signal decoder in the manual. your own special signal. think of it that way :)